Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2010 Prius - Next Generation

Comments

• dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Hatchback luggage space is measured to the top of the car (above the rear seat back). In otherwords if you drew a vertical line from the top of the rear seat to the roof of the car then everything behind that is cargo space.

Still it may be roomy enough for 4 if you pile them high. Worth a try.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    Probably not.

It depends on the lengths of the drivers ( not the human ones ). I can fit both my clubs and my wife's clubs in my 2005 Prius and I could prolly stack two other sets on top of those but I think I'd have to take the drivers out of the bags and stow them separately. 4 guys inside for a normal trip to the course is no problem whatsoever.

Some stories from the last 5 yrs...
    I've had in my 2005 Prius
    ..a 43" Flatscreen from Best Buy
    ..my clubs
    ..briefcase and two pizzas
    ..my wife and I
    A friend has had inside his 2004 Prius
    .. twelve 6' folding tables and
    .. 40 folding chairs
    A friend has had in his 2006 Prius
    .. 3 guys ( 2 + him )
    .. SIX surfboards
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    Some stories from the last 5 yrs...
    I've had in my 2005 Prius
    ..a 43" Flatscreen from Best Buy
    ..my clubs
    ..briefcase and two pizzas
    ..my wife and I
    A friend has had inside his 2004 Prius
    .. twelve 6' folding tables and
    .. 40 folding chairs
    A friend has had in his 2006 Prius
    .. 3 guys ( 2 + him )
    .. SIX surfboards

What is this? A new take at how many people can we stuff into a phonebooth or a Volkswagen? :D
  • railroadjamesrailroadjames Member Posts: 560
    Of course you could take up tennis and solve the equipment storage problem and save $$$ on so many things ...course fees, clubs, and also alot more exercize. Just a thought. Then again miniture golf is less strenuous. Seriously though, I know someone who bought a very small one wheel trailer to carry his clubs and odds & ends. Worked very well. ;)
  • halwickhalwick Member Posts: 45
    Hmm......What about installing seat covers? Would this be considered "messing" with the factory seat and hence possible voiding the warranty?
  • vitdoc1vitdoc1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 Touring version Prius and was planning to get a 2010. When I delved into the details it became apparent that if one wants the model 5 the solar cooling is not available. I do not know why, nor does the dealer. To get the solar you have to go to the model 4 which looses the high intensity headlights and the larger wheels.
    Odd marketing.
  • petlpetl Member Posts: 610
    I forget which review it was, but I believe it has something to do with the total weight of the vehicle. The increased weight of the solar roof with the additional options in model V would affect the desired MPG.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    Sometimes MPG can be a matter of what options I want. To me it may be worth losing 1 or 2 MPG in order to gain the car I want. Thats why most cars have at least 1 more option for engines.
    From the manufacturer's pov it needs to be able to meet the EPA number with all the models in a vehicle line. If adding the 17" wheels and sunroof and all the other high-tech features of the Prius V increased the weight such that that model failed to meet the fuel standard then something had to go. It was the Solar Sunroof.
    For some reason I just don't think the Prius won't meet the EPA requirements no matter what they add to the vehicle. I bet by next year if not sooner it will be added.
  • knopflerknopfler Member Posts: 2
    They are really nuts with the marketing on this one. For some reason they decided that they will only offer literally 10 possible configurations total- and bolt on things like the upgraded radio or leather upholstery count as a configuration. I guess in the short term people will buy them anyway, but this reeks of "any color as long as it's black" general disdain for the customer. I realize that reducing the number of build configurations is efficient, but changing the wheels out isn't like cutting a roof or dropping a different engine in.

For example, in the US, the sunroof is only available bundled with remote air conditioning and solar panels that run vents to cool your car while it is parked. Nice if you live in Phoenix, but a waste of $3600 if you live in a tiny temperate market like NYC or Chicago.
    For the last 3 yrs there have been only 4 combinations offered in most of the country, now there's 10 combinations. Your first statement though completely misunderstands the Toyota/Honda production/sales method.

It is the opposite of the D3 method of offering literatlly 10's of thousands of variations. I believe that Fords had over 100,000 ways to order a Mustang. Toyota and Honda try to limit the choices to less than 100 ( colors x option packages ). The options you mention like wheels and standalone sunroofs are all available aftermarket. This gives the buyers complete freedom to build what they want while keeping the manufacturers' costs as low as possible. It is a different way of doing business and one that works. The customers don't seem to mind apparently by the rate of growth of the two brands.

However nothing is carved in stone. If there is demand for say the solar sunroof as a stand alone option without the navigation then it will be offered that way sometime in the next year or two. These initial shipments are the result of pre-launch decisions on orders that had to be given to the factory last January, well before the first vehicle was ever purchased or driven.

Eventually the market will speak its mind and the 5 or 6 most popular packages will be decided.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Here is how the EPA works.

To keep car makers honest they must keep all cars within 500lbs (approx number - can look it up) so that the numbers are valid. This keeps them from making a super light stripped down version that gets great mpg and then selling most of the cars with hundreds of pounds of mpg robbing options.

Sure the Prius wouuld still do well, but if it weighs too much they have to rate the heavier cars seperately.
    In this day and age of computers that shouldn't be a problem. If they can do it for different engines than they could do it for heavier options. What is required is for people to complain to their dealers and emails to Toyota.
  • bob104bob104 Member Posts: 94
    Sorry for shouting but this could be important. If you buy Prius V you'll be getting 215/45/17 Turanza tires. If you get any other Priuses you'll be getting 195/65/15 Ecopia tires.
    Here are the differences:1) You'll get at about 3 mpg less with the V, based on the difference CR found in Prius/Prius Touring. 2) The Turanzas will last about 30k miles (my own experience with an 08 Touring). The Ecopias are warranted for 50k in some sizes, but not in in the 195/65/15 case. 3) Were you to replace the tires today, buying from tirerack.com, you'd pay $340 a set for the Ecopias and $600 for the Turanzas.
    Here are my estimates for the added cost of the V over 30k: gasoline 38 gallons@$4/gallon=$150. Assume the tire wear is the same but I'd think the Ecopias do better than Turanza. Cost to replace tires is currently $260 more for the V. Total added cost over 30k miles is about $400. Plus the V costs about $1,000 more than a non-V and you'll not get much if any of that back when the car depreciates, I think.
    CR found the Touring (the V) worth the difference in price for the safety and handling, but I don't think they thought the tire issue through. Also, maybe Bridgestone will make Ecopias in the 215/45/17 size by the time you need to replace your original tires.
    Happy Trails what ever you choose. I'm happy with my 08Touring and luckily Ecopia just became available for them. Bridgestone claims they are made for high mpg results. We'll soon see.
    Almost every new car I have bought I go straight from the dealers to Discount Tire who gives me 1/2 the price of what the tires are worth toward any new tires I want. To me this is better than suffering through those cheap factory tires that come on most cars.
  • bob104bob104 Member Posts: 94
    That's a good idea if the car comes with real cheapos, of which there are many, but the Turanzas that come on the V are good tires, grippy, stable and pretty quiet, though lasting only 30k, so I definitely would not trade those out.
    I don't know about the Ecopias that come on the rest of the trims. No one knows about them as they are very new. The low-rolling-resistance claim is promising for good mpg, the price is good at under $100 and the warranty of 50k in some sizes is good. So I also would not trade these out unless I had better info about their noisiness, grip and stability.
  • wvgasguywvgasguy Member Posts: 1,405
    If you buy Prius V you'll be getting 215/45/17 Turanza tires. If you get any other Priuses you'll be getting 195/65/15 Ecopia tires.

Wile those are possibilities, the people that have received their 2010 Prii have several other tires installed from the factory. So far these are listed as:

tcrawley (NC) - Prius II - Yokohama Avid S33
    mvmooney (CA) - Prius II - Yokohama Avid S33
    i3akachan (CA) Prius II - Bridgestone Ecopia EP20
    Steve Cebu (NH) - Prius II - Yokohama Avid S33
    psu77 - (FL) - Prius II - Yokohama Avid S33
    Zaxcom (NC) - Prius III - Yokohama Avid S33
    msirach (IL) - Prius III - Yokohama Avid S33
    s017mag (VA) - Prius III - Yokohama Avid S33
    oz132 (IN) - Prius III - Yokohama Avid S33
    dbacksfan (AZ) - Prius III - Yokohama Avid S33
    dmhorn28 (AL) - Prius III - Yokohama Avid S33
    alfon (OR) - Prius III Nav - Yokohama Avid S33
    Musigny (OR) - Prius III Nav - Yokohama Avid S33
    dc202 (WA) - Prius III Nav - Bridgestone Ecopia EP20
    Jay C - Prius IV - Bridgestone Ecopia EP20
    buzzydog (WA) - Prius IV - Bridgestone Ecopia EP20
    barbaram (NJ) - Prius IV - Yokohama Avid S33
    PriusCrazy (NC) - Prius IV - 15" Yokohama Avid S33
    reesch (IL) - Prius IV Nav - Yokohama Avid S33
    Winebuff (OR) - Prius IV Solar - Yokohama Avid S33
    jbelectron (OR) - Prius IV Solar - Yokohama Avid S33
    Teknolust (OR) - Prius IV NV - Yokohama Avid S33
    NoMoShocks (WA) - Prius IV Solar - Yokohama Avid S33
    REDWIND88 (WA) - Prius IV Solar - Yokohama Avid S33
    DaveinOlyWa (WA) - Prius IV Solar - Yokohama Avid S33D
    mosttosyrk (WA) - Prius IV Solar - Bridgestone Ecopia EP20
    Gadgetdad (CA) - Prius IV Solar - Yokohama Avid S33
    rcsting (CA) - Prius IV Solar - Yokohama Avid S33
    HTMLSpinnr (AZ) - Prius IV Solar - Yokohama Avid S33D
    Danny (NC) - Prius IV Solar - Yokohama Avid S33
    FireEngineer (IL) - Prius IV Solar - Yokohama Avid S33
    Vincent (FL) - Prius V Nav - Bridgestone Turanza EL400
    stream (CA) - Prius V Nav - Toyo Proxes A20
    eglmainz (IL) - Prius V Nav - Toyo Proxes A20
    basspro (IL) - Prius V Nav - Michelin HX MXM4
    Husker4theSpurs (NE) - Prius V Nav - Toyo Proxes A20
    LTRAIN (WA) - Prius V Nav - Michelin Pilot HX MXM4
    ggood (TX) - Prius V AT - Toyo Proxes A20
    greenbirder (TX) - Prius V AT - Michelin Pilot HX MXM4
    a priori (IL) - Prius V AT - Toyo Proxes A20
    LaMesaGuy (CA) - Prius V AT - Bridgestone Turanza EL400-02
    exbauer (IL) - Prius V AT - Bridgestone Turanza EL400
    Paradox (NY) - Prius V AT - Michelin Pilot HX MXM4
  • yerth10yerth10 Member Posts: 431
    Seems factories in Japan are working round the clock to make more units.
    I hope they will allocate more to USA.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/13/business/global/13prius.html?_r=2&hpw
  • rogue9rogue9 Member Posts: 8
    My wife works for a southern california toyota dealership and had mentioned the other day, the first case of a customer having to pay out of pocket for a replacement battery for a 2001 prius. The cost of the battery was 5 thousand dollars
    which the customer declined the purchase, all previous cases of battery replacements in her dealerships history were covered under toyotas warranty. She didn't mention how many miles the customer had on the vehicle but, this is a true case of a real issue that exists with these vehicles.
    If I were in this customers shoes I perhaps would look in the junkyards for a battery
    replacement. Cant really think of a cheaper solution. Those junkyard owners probably know value of those batteries as well, but it still has to be a cheaper solution than shelling out 5 g's .
    I have a sequoia coming to the end of my lease and am seriously considering buying the new 2010 prius. I have a son who is almost 10 and was thinking if I purchase instead of lease that it would be a good first car for him when he is ready to start driving. But hearing about a 5000 dollar battery makes me think leasing is better than buying. Who wants to finally pay off a vehicle to find out you need to come up with 5 grand just to keep the think running. It is a serious issue to take into consideration when deciding to own or lease one of these.
    I think Toyota makes a superior product and excited about getting great gas mileage as well as emitting lower emissions. To buy or to lease is the real issue.
    If you are leaning towards an 09 instead of a 2010 prius from a pure price standpoint, then how you intend to finance it, is an issue you should consider. The banks will consider the 09 a less desirable vehicle to extend a loan on, and thus the money factor on a lease for this vehicle will be worse than on the 2010 simply because the resell value hence the residual value of the vehicle will be much lower.
    If you intend to purchase it apposed to leasing, then your interest rate should be somewhat comparable on both vehicles depending on the lender.
    In essence you might be better off if you are considering a lease to look at the 2010 over the 2009 because the money factor is more favorable on a newer vehicle model year, especially when significant upgrades have been made to that newer model.
    If she works at a dealership she should know more details. In CA the batteries are good for what_ 10 years and 150,000 miles? If it's within that period and needs replaced and Toyota won't cover it then it would be noce to know the "rest of the story". If thgere was damage then perhaps the $5K was for more than just the battery?

Maybe the Gen 1 are more but other postings show the battery at less than $3.

Still the lease vrs purchase decision needs to factor in the miles you drive. If I only drove 10,000 miles a year I'm not sure the Prius would be my choice anyway.
  • feltfelt Member Posts: 105
    I inadvertently posted my question on the wrong thread. Sorry.

All you 2010 owners.

How does the calculated (miles driven/gallons) compare to the dash mpg display?
  • bwilson4webbwilson4web Member Posts: 80
    "My wife works for a southern california toyota dealership and had mentioned the other day, the first case of a customer having to pay out of pocket for a replacement battery for a 2001 prius. The cost of the battery was 5 thousand dollars. ..."
    Oh man, too bad:

The NHW11 model Prius, 2001-03, had the first generation prismatic battery that is not as strong as the NHW20, 2004-09 and ZVW30, 2010 battery:

Many of us think the best answer for the NHW11 is to rebuild the traction battery by using the more modern, NHW20 modules.

Regardless, one could pick up a worn out Prius with a bad battery and for an additional $3,000 and your own labor or pay Toyota and get a car that easily achieves 45-50 MPG. But of course, some drivers"> may prefer to pay at the pump.

Bob Wilson
    She is in finance dept. not parts or service so it is quite possible that the figure included some sort of disposal fee, installation fee, and any other fee they could think of. Nonetheless doesn't sound cost effective for a 8 year old car.
    The current batteries are covered for 10 years and or 150k miles but not too sure if the 01 model had the same coverage.
    Sorry there's somthing fishy in that story. The full retail MSRP of a new replacement battery for a 2001 Prius is $2288!!! ... not $5000. Labor is extra but not $2300 extra.

Yes the smart thing to do is go to the body shop of any large Toyota store and look for a Prius of that Generation that has been totalled with front end damage and try to buy the battery from the insurance company that's paying off the claim.

Batteries ARE NOT $5000!!!
    There is so much written about new battery technology, and the fact that Toyota stayed with the older, proven technology. Do you suppose that at sometime in the future, the current battery can be replaced(upgraded) with a newer, high-tech battery? Maybe it is an invalid cormarison, but (as long as it fits) a driver has a tremendous number of options in which 12 v battery to uses. Granted, a newer battery would need to have all the correct mounts and connections ..... my question pertains more to the electronic issue of a later swap.
    Allegedly the Li-Ion batteries were supposed to have been put into this new Gen3 Prius replacing the NiMH batteries. However a couple of years ago when it was discovered that the Li-Ions were not ready for prime time and may not be ready for full scale usage before 2011 the NiMHs were kept for the Gen3.

One of many benefits of the NiMHs is their very low cost and unquestioned durability. In the auto business these two characteristics alone are enough to keep them around for a long long time. My own guess is that the NiMHs stay for at least another 10+ years as the 'base' technology for vehicles only getting 45-55 mpg.

When new battery technology arrives it will be blended into the mix but as a 'premium' offering with better capabilities .... at a premium price.

IMO we will soon see $15000 - $28000 'traditional' hybrids using NiMH technology and $30000+ hybrids using Li-Ion technology.
  • jpeters1970jpeters1970 Member Posts: 82
    I've also heard that Toyota lowered the cost of the battery packs considerably. I am pretty certain I read that the MSRP for the 2004-2009 battery pack is $2200.00 As time goes on, I would expect that cost to even lower. If you look at eBay there is almost always a few people selling salvage battery packs from Prius'.
    I have a web site to monitor arriving ships. Does anyone know which sea port Toyota uses for west coast imports? .... specifically Utah.

I assume the vessels are special built Toyota ships. Does anyone know the names of the craft in Toyota's fleet?
    I am a soon to be Prius owner. I have seen no thread that identifies a potential problem ......that I have wondered about: With the excessive starting and stopping of the ICE ..... isn't there an abnormal amount of use (wear and tear) of the starter? It would seem that the starter, solonoid and gears would need to of exceptional quality to withstand the constant use. Any experiences with these components?
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    The Prius is designed for frequent start/stops. It does not have a typical "starter" or gears.
  • railroadjamesrailroadjames Member Posts: 560
    What you're asking relates to conventional thinking and cars of the past The Hybrid Prius is unlike that thinking and design. With over 100K miles I am a believer in this car and it's high-tech design. It simply works like no other. This is a big part of the future of automobiles.
    There are multiple threads on this subject over a PC with people tracking 'their' vessel up and down the W Coast and E Coast. Toyota doesn't owns the ships but likely has longterm charters from NKK and other owners.l
    Actually the ICE has a very very very easy life with almost zero cold starts. It almost always runs at it's most optimal speed of about 1600 rpms or it simply idles along @ 950 rpms...even at 70 mph.

MG1 acts as the 'starter' motor getting the ICE up and spinning but not using any fuel. MG2 gets the vehicle rolling and uses its massive torque to overcome intertia.
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    I would think that it would not even need a traditional starter, since when the engine kicks in the car's inertia should be enough to turn the engine over. It's sort of lke push starting a car in which case the starter is never being used, or at a dead stop the battery is linked to the drive train that provides the inertia to "push-start" the engine.
    Thank you for all the information about the operation of starting the ICE ... fascinating. Now, the question arises, with the ICE running infrequently, and at such low RPM's, I wonder why the frequency of oil changes cannot safely be extended?

BTW, I heard from my dealer that mine will be here by the end of July.
  • msmortonmsmorton Member Posts: 4
    I rented a 2010 model V which I enjoyed. I read reviews that the 17" tires make the car handle a lot better than the 15". After looking at some tire sites it appears 16" may be an option. I just don't know if it is a option on the 17" or 15" set up. Just don't want to spend 30,000.00 for the V model.
    A week or so ago I found a web site that showed the Prius Allocation list. It listed dealers, location, vehicles, models, Nav, interior colors, and etc. Unfortunately, I did not bookmark the site (I thought I did). I have searched, but cannot find the site again. Anyone have any leads where that might be? Thanks in advance.
  • chris_haddockchris_haddock Member Posts: 3
    Am ready to buy a new 2010 Prius. My first ever new car finally at age 62. We live in the Seattle area of WA and am looking for the best Toyota Dealership to work with. I want all the the options available.

What should I be expecting to pay?

What Dealership do you recommend I check with? I will pay cash for the vehicle. Currently through July Toyota will pay all sales tax in our area.

Any idea how long a wait I should expect?

Since it probaly have to be special ordered, how much of a down payment will I need to pay?

Thanks for any help you might have to offer. Chris
    Unfortunately it's not just the larger wheels and lower profile tires you get with the V. You get tighter steering as well. Additionally for the price you get the LED headlights and fog lights too. The IV with a set of aftermarket wheels and tires will be close to the cost of a V and you still don't have the other items.
    I may not be the most knowledgeable person to respond to your post.

First, congratulations on your upcoming purchase.

Now, "special ordering" a Toyota is not like a "special order" of a domestic. The factory in Japan makes various models with various "packages," then allocates them to various dealers. As I understand it, some combinations may be different in Seattle than in another area of the country. The dealer watches the allocation, and in some cases, if he sees what you want allocated to another dealer, makes an effort to swap one he is allocated with the other dealer. I have one on "order" and I put $500 down. The wait could be a number of weeks to months. I have waited for about 3 weeks thus far, and I have been led to believe an allocation has been received for one like I want ... and it should arrive by the end of July.

From my reading, that could change. The Prius is proving to be very popular world-wide. Today I read that Toyota may reduce the US allocation, because they are selling so many in Japan. The factory is working over-time, and unable to meet the demand.

My dealer and I agreed to MSRP. I do not like it, but that was the best I could do. Some report better deals; in some areas, the dealers are charging additional "fees" and/or surcharges, that personally, would not be acceptable. Unfortunately, I cannot suggest a Seattle dealer.

Good luck ... I hope that helps. If others want to comment or correct my statements, please feel free to do so.
  • jpeters1970jpeters1970 Member Posts: 82
    There is no option for 16" tires BUT you can buy a lesser model than the V (saving thousands) then spend your own money on an aftermarket wheel/tire setup in a 16" configuration. Keep in mind that with the 17" wheels your mileage will be ~2 or 3 LESS per gallon than with the 15". This is what I've been reading and it certainly makes sense.
  • msmortonmsmorton Member Posts: 4
    I was hoping to buy lesser model and change to the 16" tires when they need to be replaced. Buying model V takes away from what your trying to save by buying a Prius. I'm going to rent model lll and see if I can feel a difference in normal driving between the two models. With careful driving on the V, I had a average of 57.5 MPG on the car read out. I would like to see what I get on model lll. The difference in tire replacement cost between !7" and 15" seems to double for the 17" tires.
  • atlantabennyatlantabenny Member Posts: 735
    I'm also looking at the 2010 Prius as a replacement, and like some of you will probably upgrade the tire/wheel combination.

IMO the 16" (good) or 17" (better) size creates the right visual proportion for the car, improving handling in the process. The 15" on the car I test-drove yesterday looked tiny, although it probably speaks best to the overall intent of the car.

Anyhow, there are still good size/type alternatives out there. To keep as much of the fuel economy benefits as possible, I'm thinking that low tire/wheel weight and tread pattern/rubber compound come into consideration.

Some tire products should fit the bill (prices are reasonable to boot).

This one, for example, is relatively light and has good life expectancy/probably yields good fuel economy (as indicated by the UTQG rating): http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.jsp?make=Kumho&model=Ecsta+AST&partnum=145HR7- - - - - EASTXL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes&place=1

This different brand of the same size will likely yield lower fuel economy and life expectancy, but should have better cornering/braking characteristics: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.jsp?make=Sumitomo&model=HTR+Z+II&partnum=145W- - - - - R7HTRZ2&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes&place=3

As to rims, in general the offset, rim width, weight, and of course bolt pattern are the main factors to consider. Should be looking more closely at those as purchase time nears; I'll probably end up looking on eBay/Craigslist at 17" OEMs for other Toyota models as wheel specs tend to be similar across many model lines/manufacturer.
  • hihostevohihostevo Member Posts: 59
    Gasout........

If you don't mind, which option package did your 2005 Prius have and how much did they give you on trade-in.... or if you sold it privately how much did it sell for???

Sorry to be so nosy, but we currently have an '08 Prius and have found a very low mileage '05 with Nav that I am considering buying. (the '10 is just a tad pricey at the moment)

Thank you,

Steve
    Buying the PriusV also gives you the LED headlights and fog lights as well as a much tighter steering radius. If you want aftermarket wheels I'd consider the V and then put 16" on it and sell the 17" OEM's. There are a lot of people looking for them.
  • chris_haddockchris_haddock Member Posts: 3
    Thanks you for the information. Any details I have when I go to a dealer will be helpful. I don't look forward to the part of actually going to any dealership to order the vehicle. I don;t like the hardsell, pushy car salesmen that a lot of car dealerships use. I just want to go in order what I want with as little hassle as possible. Again, thanks for your reply. Christine
    This won't be as much of a hassle since as a "normal" purchase because you're probably going to pay close to MSRP anyway. Not a lot to dicker about unless they try to sell add-ons. Just say No if you're not interested in anything extra.
  • canccanc Member Posts: 715
    That's really interesting... can I ask where you got that information? I always thought the ICE would work much, much higher at highway speeds... much more than 950 RPM.

Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.