Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2010 Prius - Next Generation

Comments

• justlooking9justlooking9 Member Posts: 21
    The first time I refueled, the dash gauge indicated I had a range of less than 20 miles. The tank has an 11.9 gallon capacity, but I was only able to put in about 9.7 gallons. That seems to indicate that the range was calculated withholding about 2 gallons for reserve (which would be about 100 miles). Has anyone else noticed this?
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    On my wifes STS there is a menu that you can choose. It has day, night and auto. You set the brightness for each day and night thay you like and then touch auto and when your headlights come on it changes the screen to nighttime. Or you can manually touch either day or night. Is there a screen somewhere simular on yours? Hers is under the personal settings.
    Just filled up again. I drove for about 5 miles with the range saying zero. When I filled up, only put in 9.952 gals. It seems to confirm that when the range is zero in my Prius that there is still about 2 gallons in reserve.
  • hihostevohihostevo Member Posts: 59
    Make sure the dial for background lighting is not all the way on. Run it to maximum and then back it off until you feel it pass the "detent." If you leave the background lights in full bright mode, the Nav screen will not switch to Night Mode.
    That is so cool, you were absolutely right. My interior lighting was at max since I brought it home from the dealer. I set it down a little and the nav immediately switches modes when I turn on the lights on/off. Thanks!
    Most of the time my nav screen displays little circles on the roads wherever I travel, sometimes it doesn't. I have not figured out how to turn off/on these "bread crumbs". What makes them start appearing and why don't they go away? The routes I travel often are totally covered with these little circles.
    My XM was working when I test drove and purchased my Prius, but I have not seem any documentation about how long the initial XM subscription is for.

How long is the initial XM subscription from the dealer and does that include XM traffic?

Can I change MX channels one at time from the steering wheel? It seems to only change through the presets.
  • glouderbackglouderback Member Posts: 10
    It is good for 90 days and includes XM traffic. Once you set up your preset channels on the screen, you can scroll thou them from the wheel.
    Has anyone else noticed that the manual specifies 88 octane gas? Regular around here is 87 octane. This 88 octane requirement means putting in more expensive fuel. I am surprised I haven't seen other comments about this.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    Yes, you are correct.

Bob Wilson who posts here and elsewhere did a trial with his brand new '10 and intentionally ran it out of gas 2 or 3 times to test what the reserve was. It's 2 gal +/- 0.1 gal or so.

So yes when the indicator comes on you're not dead in the water, you can drive about 100 mi. But do so at your own risk. That's from someone who's run out of gas 6 times in his 05 Prius... :blush:
    It's been well documented on other sites and verified by the Prius Team that the 88 Octane was a typo.
  • mbros2kmbros2k Member Posts: 71
    Assuming you have Remote Start installed as an option (about $500), press the remote lock button twice quickly, then a third time for 3 second...presto, the car is "ready", and the air or heat will go on if set. The car will turn off and need to be restarted normally when you open the door and take the drive's seat.
  • tyler70tyler70 Member Posts: 82
    I have a IV and mine shows the same thing. I dont think it count the mileage for the 2 gal in the bladder. so a full tank will shows mileage range of 500 - 550 miles instead of 600+ miles for 11.9 gal tank.
    I also tried driving in the ECO mode this tank and so far I have been getting 55 mpg instead of 50 mpg when drives in normal mode.
    thanks. what is the purpose of remote start if you have to restart it again after you enter the veh ? (besides warming up the veh or cooling down
    I had that before and there is away to turn that off. i believe it is under setting, then navigation, then it is called something like "tracking your route" or something like that. you can turn that off.
    Thanks, found it on the Map scrren: Clicked On, Show on Map, then there is a button to toggle Route Trace off/on.
    Thanks for the info. They made that typo throughout the entire manual.
    I read that the 2010 no longer uses the bladder and now has a conventional fuel tank.
  • jpeters1970jpeters1970 Member Posts: 82
    No more bladder!!! I've never had a problem with my bladder (the one in the car). They claim that in very cold weather it will shrink and not permit you to put the full amount of fuel in the tank. This design was necessary for EPA reasons (or something like that). I usually fill up when the last pip is flashing. I am sure the 2010 has a similar scheme with respect to the ten little pips.
    no bladder ? does that mean then the car says 10 miles til feuling, that means 10 miles or I have to start pushing it home ??
  • jpeters1970jpeters1970 Member Posts: 82
    That means that in any vehicle you really should start looking for fuel at 1/4 tank lest you create crud in your fuel filter. On my '04 when the last pip starts blinking I have over 100 miles to go before fueling. If you do run out, you have at least two miles to drive on electric (assuming a full pack). Toyota changed that for 2010 and when you run out of fuel, the electric motor will not work. They designed it this way because pre 2010 people would run out of gas and compromise the battery by letting it run too low. The battery's optimum charge is between 40-80%.
  • mbros2kmbros2k Member Posts: 71
    Good question. My car came with remote start; I wouldn't have ordered it. Maybe it can be programmed to keep running after entry into the vehicle, but I doubt it. Remote start might be useful if you parked your car outside in the snow, or in 120 degree heat, but I don't see much use for it in most mild California weather conditions.
  • donewithvwsdonewithvws Member Posts: 47
    Most everytime I hit a pothole (which is often where I live up in Boston), my new Prius flys forward to the point where I have to hit the break so I don't hit some one in front of me. I'm assuming it's something with the tires, maybe a safety thing? Has anyone else experienced this?
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    Is it possible that the jar is causing your foot to hit the go pedal and you not realize it? I have had that happen to me a few times.
  • tbarnett1tbarnett1 Member Posts: 1
    Is there a way to disable the beeping sound when in reverse?

Also, when I switch to audio or some other control on the left, after a minute or so, it goes back to the bluetooth or map screen automatically though I just want it to remain on the audio screen. Is there a way to change that?

Thanks.
    Nope, definitely not. I won't be touching the gas at all and I will be hovering over the break purposely because I know the pothole is going to send me flying forward. It's really strange and it happens to my boyfriend when he drives my car too and he can't think of why either and he knows a lot about cars. So I'm the only one this is happening to? Do you think I should get it checked out??
    those are both questions i have been trying to answer myself. i hate the beeping when in reverse. i wouldn't mind it as much if it beeped once or twice but more than that is unnecessary! i also tried to figure out how to keep the audio screen on and could not. anyone figure this out?
  • jim_neelyjim_neely Member Posts: 1
    On my 2005 Prius there were instructions in the manual on deactivating the beep. It was a little weird, but not difficult.
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    The dealer has to disable the repeated beeping for you. It is changed to a single beep and requires a hook up to their computer laptop. Apparently some dealers charge for an hour of labor (takes 20') while with others it's done for free.
  • canccanc Member Posts: 715
    The "jerking forward" you mention has been experienced by other Prius owners and is due to the switch from the regenerative brakes to the friction brakes. By default, the Prius uses the regenerative brakes to bring the car to a stop, unless the driver applies sudden pressure to the brake pedal, which would engage the switch I mentioned. The same happens when you hit a pothole--the switch from regenerative to friction braking happens--the momentary loss of control gives the driver the sensation that the car is speeding up.
    thanks for the insight! makes sense to me now but is this a good thing or could it be a danger??
  • railroadjamesrailroadjames Member Posts: 560
    Here's my two cents worth. I own an '04 Prius with about 110K. There are some unique quirks about the drive-train of the Prius Hybrid. I have noticed, over the past 6 yrs, the car reacts to "slipage" when excellerating from a stop or sudden need for speed. Potholes, like ice patches, cause this variation of traction. Likewise in rainy weather there is a tendency for the braking system to "grab" as you come to a stop. I find myself literally letting up on the brake pedal the last second or two to avoid a sudden jolt to stop. This does not occur in dry conditions. Others have noticed the same "quirks" also. All in all, I'd say it's a small quirk to contend with considering the pluses that make the Prius the hybrid that it is.
  • canccanc Member Posts: 715
    IMO, it's neither--the Prius is not a conventional car, which will get some getting used to. I remember having the same reaction as you with my 2006 Prius, and getting upset about it because I thought I'd be bumping the car in front of me. Try slowing down a bit more in advance, that way, when you do hit a pothole, it won't be as bad because you wouldn't be going as fast, and the switchover won't be as noticeable.

Hope this helps...
  • sas9sas9 Member Posts: 28
    Hi all - I'd appreciate your help with an issue I have w/my new IV Prius. So far, I'm loving the car... the only thing my car is missing is auto headlights. (I didn't know the car didn't come with this!!) I have to manually turn on/off my headlights which is a real pain. Additionally, if I forget to turn off my headlights, which is easy to do during daylight, the car doesn't have any reminder to turn the lights off. This is pretty archaic in my opinion!

Any ideas? Thanks, Stacy
    I took my 1 week old '10 on a road trip. The fuel left showed 95 miles. I filled up at this point and the car only took 8.6 gallons of gas which meant I had over 3 gallons left. That would be more than 95 miles so I'm guessing the excess gas is in the reserve.

Do you all agree?
    It really doesn't matter. After you turn off the engine, get out and leave the vehicle the lights turn off by themselves in about 30 seconds. It's the same on my 2005 Prius. Just forget about them. No biggie.
    When you get down to '0' on the DTE indicator .... you then have about 2 gallons left in reserve.

Yes your assumption is correct. All Toyota's have this reserve. It's the same on my 2005 Prius. You can drive another 100 miles or so searching for the perfect refill at that time ;) .
    i have the same car as you have and i always leave my lights on and they just go off by themselves so no need to worry!
    I'm not sure if my '10 has a reserve or not. (I guess I could read the manual but this site is more fun!) Recently, my DTE showed 95 miles. I stopped for gas and the car took 8.6 gallons. With 3+ gallons left in the car, that would be more than 95 miles so I'm thinking there's a 1 gallon reserve on the 2010.

Thanks all!
    Thank you! I tried this and it works fine.

Do you see any issues if I left the headlights on all the time? I'm not used to having to turn them on and if I just left them on all the time, that would be really convenient for me. What do you think? Would that pose any problem for the car?

Thanks again.
    When you load CD's into your player, does the navi screen show the CD name or anything other than NO DATA FOUND?

I have the upgraded JBL system and navi.

Thanks all.
    You can leave the headlights on all the time if you wish with no complications.
  • victorbrazilvictorbrazil Member Posts: 2
    Hello there. We are bringing 10 Toyota Prius to Brazil in an independent project since the factory still do not make this model here. The car has a new concept so I would like to ask, what are the main concerns from technical point of view. We have to worry since we will not have official technical support from the factory.
    Does the car present mechanical problems often?
    What are the most common problems?
    Is it easy for mechanics to solve problems out?
    Only trained mechanics can see over electrical problems?
    This is more a business oportunity: Do you know of any company interested in offering training courses for our guys here? We may buy the whole package either we send our people to the US or someone comes to train our staff here?
    Contact me at victor.leyton@ouroverdetl.com.br

Wair for your commmentaries.

Victor
  • stevegoldstevegold Member Posts: 185
    Are you buying 2010 or 2009 models. I think that makes a big difference. I have a 2004 (same as 2009) which has had no real problems other than TSB's that were applied, at no cost, by my nearby Toyota dealer. Some of those were major.(anew fuel system, a new display and dashboard innards etc., other were minor.
    While the 2010 model is superior in performance and mileage, I would recommend using 2009 models. They will be cheaper to purchase, there will be few if any TSB's and they are very reliable. You might consider one 2010 to respond to complaints or performance issues that might occur with 2009 models. For example, I live in the mountains and there is a performance issue climbing LONG, STEEP, STRAIGHT mountain passes. I think the 2010 will do significantly better in those circumstances but I still use my 2004 to make that trip three or four times a year.
    To answer your questions. My 2004 does not have frequent problems of any sort so that the rest of the questions don't matter but if I were driving in Brazil, I would take a 2009 not a 2010.
  • victorbrazilvictorbrazil Member Posts: 2
    Hi Steve, thanks for your answer. Yes, we are bringing 2010 models. Conditions here in Brazil are different from those in the US, to begin with, our fuel has 25% of ethanol that means the combustion rates will certainly be adjusted or the car will have to run only on special pure gas, which is more difficult to obtain. What knid of fuel do you use?
  • pupuikopupuiko Member Posts: 6
    When I purchased by '10 Prius, the dealer forced to purchase $200 floor mat said it's required and they couldn't see the car without the mat, is it true?

The $200 mat is really thin and crappy, can I request to pay a little extra to upgrade to all all-season mat (may even costs less)?
    Probably not. Toyota has taken the All Weather mats off the market....
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    When I purchased by '10 Prius, the dealer forced to purchase $200 floor mat said it's required and they couldn't see the car without the mat, is it true?

What a load of horse doo...
    They 'couldn't' because the GM or the owner wouldn't let them sell the car without the mats. Same difference, couldn't / wouldn't.
    I have a one month old '10 and have only washed the car myself. I'm careful not to get water in any of the vent areas close to the hood of the car so water won't get under the hood. (is this even necessary?)

Where I live in LA, there are mostly hand wash carwashes to go to if I wanted to have someone else wash my car. They won't be as careful as I am washing the car. Would this be risky or okay for my Prius?

Thanks for your feedback!
This discussion has been closed.