Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2010 Toyota Corolla

Comments

• terceltomterceltom Posts: 1,017
    Well I think that happens to quite a few people. They read a couple of critical reviews about a car, then when they purchase this car they actually believe that their car has these problems or concerns also. I guess when you buy a car you should have an open mind because everyones opinion of a certain car can be different.

Is the "great ease" of turning your steering wheel a plus for you or is the "loose feeling" a negative?

When you say the clock is located "very low" where exactly is your clock? On my new Corolla it's incorporated right into the left side odometer button.

Aren't most cars set -up where the doors require a two button push of the remote to open all doors? I really like this function. If my wife is driving alone and wants to open her doors to enter her vehicle she is only opening her door, and not allowing anyone else to get into her vehicle univited with her. She might be parked in a parking lot with someone lurking in a parked car along side of her on the passenger side just waiting for her to open up to jump inside with her.

Don't really believe they call it a break-in period any longer. I think most reasonably driving people would be fine just driving their normal way from day one. The longer oil change intervals can be attributed to the synthetic motor oil being used.

Just love my newest addition to my toyota family of cars and hope you do as well. Good Luck with your new Rolla!
  • I agree 100% with terceltom, if I hadn't read about steering complaints with the Corolla, I would never had thought twice about it. No problems here.
  • This is good information for me. I currently drive a ’98 Accord but looking to upgrade and the Corolla is tops on my list. I’ve briefly driven one and know how it feels inside. At 6’1” late 40’s, I’m fine with it though my wife is a little nervous getting something smaller. Before the Accord we had a ’94 Civic that she thought was too small, especially getting into and out of (she has a bad knee). Thing is, I’m going to be driving it alone 90% of the time and care quite a bit about gas mileage (38 mile round trip commute) so I want smaller. Anyone feel “cramped” in the car or have trouble hauling what you want to haul (e.g. golf clubs)? Someone mentioned the trunk space is pretty good. I currently get 28mph in the winter and about 31-32 in the summer. I drive pretty conservatively and figure I could stretch a Corolla to about 40mph on my usual freeway commute. Thanks
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Posts: 1,668
    The clock's location was moved for the 2010. Many people complained about it being in the odometer I think because it is a shared display (you have to toggle to the clock if you have one. Also, the other people in the car could not see it. Fortunately, Toyota responded, but the only place it could go is I think below the climate controls. You can bet the next generation will move it back up to the middle top of the dash.
  • Just an update. I spoke too soon about engine noise. Late yesterday and today I could hear the engine 'growling' each time I started up from a dead stop to 40km/hr. I don't recall my 2002 Corolla sounding like that.

Call me silly or what...maybe a tad paranoid perhaps.....but I only noticed the noise starting late last night. Someone had the car for about 2 minutes. I don't imagine someone could do somthing to it in that short amount of time to affect an engines noise. Nah.

Funny thing is I did not notice the noise up to late last night. I suppose people's perception can't always be relied upon as many factors can come into play (sound of the climate control system affecting perception of noise, etc.).

Having said that, I could almost swear I did not hear the same kind of 'growling' previously. Except for the very faint whine that went away as I broke the car in the initial 300km, the car was very quiet after that. My 2002 Corolla was like that as well. But now, I am very aware of the engine growling moving from a dead stop as at a traffic light. I mean, the sound is very noticeable. For the life of me, I don't know how this noise escaped my attention before.

To Terceltom: My 2002 Corolla CE opened all 4 doors when I pressed the remote.

As for the placement of the clock in the 2010 CE, it is like almost at the bottom of all the controls....let's say almost at seat level. You'd definitely need to take your eye off the road and look down to read the clock. Gee, hurts even more to read that the clock placement was changed starting with the 2010 models. I'd actually prefer it even in the odometer area as mentioned...at least you can still keep your eye on the road that way. Best of all was the way it was on the 2002, on the radio display. A quick glance was all that was needed.

As for the electronic steering, it is a non issue for me. That's how much I would notice any difference. Is it good or bad.......if I don't notice it, then it's good and not an issue.

As for the oil change interval being longer, I think many people are still using regular oil and not synthetic. I don't suppose Toyota can recommend the longer oil change interval based on that. The oil in my brand new 2010 is regular motor oil and not synthetic (I will use synthetic after). However, I will likely just get an oil change (regular oil) at about 3,000km. Then after 8,000km when the "first recommended oil change" is scheduled...I'll then switch to synthetic.
  • I have the same problem, and I bought mine on the 31st of 09. It rattles quite a bit on slightly rough roads and at certain RPMs (I have a base with a 5-speed). I tapped on the roof of the trunk (from inside of the trunk just below the center brake light), and heard the same sound. I bet its some plastic electrical connector that is loosely mounted or not mounted at all that's vibrating against the metal (near the trunk light). I have to do some further investigation to pinpoint the source. It may require a trip to the dealer or the simple use of a screwdriver and some foam rubber. Let me know if you come up with anything.
    Check the license plate and the little black trunk release cable holders that are mounted on the trunk support arms.
  • Went to a local hardware/automotive retailer and saw this very small and light car clock. Cost is about $5. It is small, very light and the right colour too (if your dash colour is black). I hope it lasts a long time but at $5 each, I'll get a few more just in case. It has an adhesive backing (clock is very small so the adhesive patch is small as well) with velcro. Only quibble is that the clock face is not lighted but can still be easily viewed from dawn until it's dark outside. Now I can glance at the clock without having to take my eyes off the road.

Here is a picture of the clock. Looks giantic on the website but it's very small in actuality. Don't go by the package measurements listed on the site.
    http://www.bellautomotive.com/asp/product_details.asp?id=24529

My 2010 Corolla is breaking in nicely. I am quite happy with all the new features on the car. It's a lot more features than I got on the 2002 CE for about the same price or actually less. A happy Corolla owner.
  • Hi canuckrolla,

Congratulations on your new car; hope it gives you as good a service as your last one.

I'm currently in the same position as you (own a 2002 Corolla LE and thinking of buying a 2010 model) and was wondering if you could answer a couple of questions I had.

First, I live in Toronto and we get our fair share of windy days. My 2002 Corolla, being with a low center of gravity and a slim profile, doesn't give me much trouble in the wind (and is noticeably more stable in those conditions than the 2003 model we also have). I'm wondering if you've driven your 2010 Corolla in the wind yet and, if so, how does it compare to the 2002 model?

The second point I wanted to ask is about steering feel. I know you said that steering on the 2010 was fine in terms of directional stability on the highway, but do you feel the road texture through the steering wheel? While no sports car by any stretch, I can "read" the road through the steering wheel of my 2002 model reasonably clearly, which is very useful in winter since I can sense when the front wheels start slipping because of ice early enough to make the necessary adjustments and avoid further slipping. I can't count the times this has helped me avoid crashes.. How do you think the 2010 model compares in this regard?

Thanks!
  • roscarosca Posts: 8
    Well, I took it to the dealer and he agrees that there is some noise. He has asked me to come to him when I have more time so that he can look at it for a couple of hours. Lets see if something good happens. Keep me posted if you end up resolving it earlier.

Thanks
    Guess it wasn't anything obvious huh? I hope he gives you a loaner for your inconveniance for the day that he looks for the rattle.
  • schongschong Posts: 7
    I just leased a 2010 Toyota corolla last month. What I experienced from my new car are as follows: It's rolls down on the steep inclines and the car surges when I put my foot on brakes for the 1st second or so.
    Wow, that's really weird. I hope you took it back immediately and told them about it. Any car that surges forward when the brakes are applied is not fit for the road. UNSAFE! Do not drive. Certainly NOT a characteristic of all new Corollas.
  • So glad I spent the time to check out the new Corolla beyond the test drive from the dealer. I wanted to check out the Electric Power Steering and power on accelerating over grades and entering freeway. These things checked out fine. What didn't check out had nothing to do with my initial concerns. The seats have been cut in length and do not adjust sufficiently to sit comfortably especially with the head rest hitting you in the back of the head. The fabric and foam are shoddy in fact you could see the back seat fabric rippling with the foam a bit sunken on a 2010 car. The interiror trim quality is about a 2 compared to a 8 or 9 from a 15 year old camry. The road noise was more than I would like which was noticable immediately. Really worth the few dollars for rental but disappointed the seats are so uncomfortable. This is not an easy fix with a back support pillow. The seats are cut short in length (makes interior look larger) and does not allow for a pleasant experience. Couldn't wait to return the car. The seat comfort was never an issue in the older camry whether a short or long ride. Too bad, as it has the MPG and safety going for it. :(
    Your comment is totally ABSURD! The seats are the standard 19" from backrest to front of the seat and haven't changed in decades. The seats were not "cut". I have my six vehicles sitting outside and I measured them all, they are as follows. "86" Tercel - 19", "92" Corolla - 19", "01" Corolla - 19", "02" Celica - 19" - "94" Voyager 19" and my "09" Corolla(exactly as the "10") and guess what? 19" WHAT ARE YOU SAYING ?? Okay, you don't find it comfortable but nothing has changed girl ! By the way, this is the most roomy Corolla produced to date by Toyota. Perhaps you should compare apples to apples and not apples to oranges.
  • huey5huey5 Posts: 3
    I bought a 2010 LE 20 days ago. Today after I turned off my car, the passenger air bag light kept flashing. Can anybody help me on this issue? Thanks in advance.
    You have a brand new car, I would just give the dealer a call to be sure? You don't want to guess when it comes to such a vital safety accessory as the airbags.
  • sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,810
    Susan should probably look at another Camry instead of the Corolla...the seats are much better. But please don't berate someone else whose opinion doesn't agree with yours...chill out man! We all know in here that you love your Corolla...good for you, but Susan didn't agree & maybe she should've compared it to a Civic or an Elantra...a car in the same class.

Good luck Susan with your search and keep us posted.

The Sandman :shades:

2015 Audi A3 (wife)/2015 Golf SE (me)/2009 Nissan Versa SL Hatch (daughter #1)/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS (daughter #2)

Oh it wasn't a matter of opinions it was a matter of fact. The seats are, and always were 19". Seats being "cut" IS absurd!
    Well, I had quite an experience :) Took the car to the dealer last Tuesday and he gave me a loaner, while saying that it would only take a couple of hours. Guess what? They could not figure out why the car was producing that sound for three whole days :) Finally, they figured out some body defect in the trunk area on Friday, had the car sent to the body shop, got the area welded, and gave it back to me on Friday night at 8 pm. Now, the car is quiet like a Lexus (exaggeration of course ;) -- But I certainly could not believe that a new car would have a body defect. The service guy said he would send the paper work later in the week so I would know for sure what happened in a week or so.
    Well I'm so glad they finally found your problem and took care of it for you. Gotta remember cars are welded by robots and even they aren't perfect. I would say kudos to that Toyota dealer for sticking with the problem and not just blowing you off like some might have. Enjoy your car !
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,032
    If you are a Toyota owner and interested in sharing your reaction to the recall with reporters, send an email stating the vehicle you own, your telephone number, and the best time you can be reached.

Send to: karen@edmunds.com

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• revitrevit Posts: 476
    The 2010 Toyota Corolla cannot be purchased:

That is correct! Not until the accelerator pedal recall on the 2010's sitting in the lots are repaired.
  • mnfmnf Posts: 404
    Unless you have been on a island,cant read or dont watch TV everyone should know by now. Perfect time to purchase is when they resolve the issue and come out with HOT deals.

MNF
  • philiphili Posts: 19
    Hi. I have a problem with tinnitus (ringing in the ears) which is made worse by road noise. I drive a few hours each day, mostly city driving. I'm looking for a small Toyota/Scion which is cheap (sub $18,000 MSRP) and quiet. Any tips?
  • canuckrolla123canuckrolla123 Posts: 12
    edited February 2010
    To sammy_to.

I've put about 3,500km on my new 2010 Corolla. No regrets at all! The car drives like a dream. I've only driven Toyota, 1 Tercel, 2 2002 Corolla's and now a 2010 Corolla.

The Corolla rides well in a strong wind. This happened a few weeks ago on the highway in a strong wind. Didn't notice anything different from my lower profile 2002 Corolla.

Today, while driving along the highway at night, I had to swerve suddenly. Looked like a roll of carpet or something large was obstructing the one lane. I saw the car in front of me swerve. Didn't know why. Almost as it got out of the way, I saw the obstacle on the road. I swerved too, consciously being aware not to over-steer back into the lane. I recall the Vehicle Stability Control activating with its beep beep sound. This all happened in a second or two. I avoided the obstacle and maintained control of my car. Forget how fast I was going but it was a highway so maybe 110 km/hr or so. I'm not sure if the VSC helped but I sure heard it being activated. Maybe the electronic power steering helped too, making it very easy to steer quickly.

The electronic power steering is extremely noticeable when you're parking and need to bring the steering wheel back.....like butter.

Now that I have driven the Corolla for over a month, I don't notice any of the negative points noted in the Edmunds review of the 2009 model. I'm not a test car driver so obviously I am not aware of how other makes and models drive and compare to the 2010 Corolla. I've rented a Chevy Cobalt, PT Cruizer and one other make recently. This car drives like any other car I have driven. As well, it's a quiet ride too. Quieter than my 2002. I can hear the subtleness in the vocals of a CD track while driving at highway speeds.

The only thing that bugs me is that the headrest doesn't stay all the way down. I push it all the way down. There must be a way to keep it down. Other than that, nothing bad to say about the 2010 Corolla. A great drive. Well, the backend is a bit higher than my 2002. Love the trunk, quite spacious. Wish there weren't those 2 bumps on the surface of the trunk nearer the passenger compartment but I'll just have to place things better.
    edited February 2010
    So glad to hear you like your new ride. I was beginning to think there weren't too many of us out there anymore. Although I haven't had the head rest problem, I agree with everything you said about the new Corollas. I couldn't be happier with my purchase. I think the new EPS steering was a wonderful new feature. I have a Barcelona Red XLE. I just love the JBL 400 watt upgraded sound system I have. My previous rides were "86" Tercel, "79" Corolla and an "02" Celica. Currently I have a "92" Corolla an "01" Corolla, "94" Voyager and the "09" Corolla. Don't ask me how I slipped a Chrysler product in there. Shopping for a new TRD Tacoma. My Corollas are amazing, all I do is change the oil and rotate the tires and the things run forever. Oh, and of course the very rare "recalls". Just sold the "86" Tercel, had it for 24 years and it was running like a clock when I sold it. By the way, the "94" Voyager has given me great service also
    I think there are many like us who are just not able to keep up with the assault on our beloved Toyota brand -- It is fascinating (and sad) how much hype has been created in the media over something that no one knows for sure about. Anyways, I had a wonderful experience with my 2010 Corolla viz-a-viz its traction control. I live in the NJ area and because of some stupid reason, I ended up driving in the blizzard that came to our region this Wednesday late afternoon. I could not believe how many cars got stuck on the road or slipped, but my Corolla kept on going with at least 6 or 7 times the traction control going on (I could see the blinking light) when I feared that I would be stuck on the road. I drove more than 7 miles and finally got back to my home without any incident. I am sure that I would not have it on my older car. Keep up the good work Toyota and don't give in to these sharks.
  • sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,810
    People seem to forget that all companies have had recalls over the years...I found a list of the brands and the #'s of recalls and Toyota is not the tops in vehicles affected. People just love to knock the particular company with the latest recall because any of the major domestic and foreign brands could be in a similar situation at any given time. Folks need to remember that cars are machines built to certain tolerances built by man, and sometimes machine.

Toyota will get past this and move on selling great vehicles just like all the other brands. Personally, I'd have no trouble owning a Toyota or Ford or GM...etc. If a company makes a vehicle that we like within our $ constraints, we'll by it. Modern vehicles have all come so far these past few years, we're finally at the point that we'd look at all brands as of now...and buy what fits our list of needs...end of story!

The Sandman :sick: :shades:

2015 Audi A3 (wife)/2015 Golf SE (me)/2009 Nissan Versa SL Hatch (daughter #1)/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS (daughter #2)