Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    ...does anyone know of any other good car audio/video forums...

We don't promote other forums in the Town Hall. Try a Google search.

tidester, host
  • pat84pat84 Member Posts: 817
    I found that the bar that holds the upper level of the two level cargo system can be easily removed. It works like a toilet paper roll holder. It can be removed by pushing in on one side and pulling in the spring loaded other side. (I don't remember this in the owner's manual.)
     Mine now lives in a closet.
     With the head rests removed, and the rear seats folded, and with the cargo holder rod removed, there is some real cargo space in the rear.
  • nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    I'd wager that is aftermarket leather put on by the dealer.

Go back to Toyota's web site and select Vehicles/SUV/4Runner. Now select Models and Prices, then hit the Interior tab. In the table, you will see that leather seats are standard on the Limited and not an option on SR5 nor SE.

There are aftermarket shops that put leather covers on seats and quite a few dealers will add aftermarket leather to vehicles.
  • terrafirmaterrafirma Member Posts: 212
    You have to remove the headrests?
    My seats fold down with headrests on.
    My cargo cover also resides in the closet!
  • lpm141lpm141 Member Posts: 14
    I recently bought a 2003 Toyota 4Runner Limited. I would like to know if anyone has solved the issue with the rear view mirrors being blurred. It seems to me at higher speeds it becomes even more of an issue. I will tell you gets real annoying. I am going to take it in but was wondering if anyone has discovered the fix. I have read on this board that Toyota says this seems to be a characteristic of the heated mirrors having the #8220;Rain Clearing Coating& #8221; (From The Factory) on the mirrors. Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks
  • jonnytightjonnytight Member Posts: 15
    my keyless entry battery was dead and i replaced the battery, now the remote won't work...and i dont know why... the battery models are the same and everything....i put back the old battery and it still doesnt work...does anyone have a solution?

maybe the remote signal is reseted when the battery is taken out and is operating at a different freq. than the car?...please help
  • kheintz1kheintz1 Member Posts: 213
    Myself, I would AVOID any "finish protection package", and I would urge you to apply Zaino products yourself http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc at the earliest opportunity. If you opt for Zaino, I would also urge you to carefully read the info. and FAQ at Zaino's web site before ordering products and proceeding. It may at first seem inconvenient to shell-out some $$ for the white Fieldcrest (or Cannon) towels, but it's worth it in the long run. Otherwise, Zaino products are really very easy to use, and also quite enjoyable for those who like weekend projects. In my opinion, the most common error one can make with Zaino products is to not trust their directions on how SPARINGLY their products should be applied, and to then apply too much. Remember, a little goes a long way, and if you apply too much, you're just wasting it, and the excess on your truck's finish will take much longer to dry. At any rate, take your time, follow the directions, and above all, have fun and enjoy the results!
  • Galileo757Galileo757 Member Posts: 37
    You must be thinking of flying. ;0)
    The parameters are outside temp, AVG. MPG, Mileage range, and AVG. MPH.

<Does the Toyota system give you an altitude and mph reading?>
    Although I'm a flatlander, my older brother lives in the Blue Ridge Mtns., and I can tell you that ALTIMETERS (both analog and digital) are quite popular among those who live in, or occasionally travel to mountainous areas. (Highlander7's handle suggests that he might just live in such an area, don't you think?) These relatively inexpensive devices (when properly calibrated) give a good estimate of your elevation or altitude relative to sea level, and I do believe they basically work by measuring atmospheric pressure. So, smartypants, altimeters aren't just found in aircraft, they're also used in other applications (including driving, hiking, bicycling, and camping, to name a few) and Highlander7's question is perfectly reasonable in my opinion. Indeed, it would be pretty nifty if the 4Runner's digital information center contained a digital altimeter, as well as if it would then also include that same altitude data into the GPS Nav. display, since SUVs are (as you obviously know) popular among many avid outdoor enthusiasts.
    So, smartypants, altimeters aren't just found in aircraft, they're also used in other applications...

Yes, but you weren't discussing altimeters. You were asking about altitude which is most commonly used as an aviation term as opposed to elevation which relates to terrain! :-)

And, yes, a lot of people use altimeters to measure elevation!

tidester, host
    Tidester:

*I* wasn't ASKING about altimeters; rather, I was DISCUSSING and describing them. Highlander7 asked about altitude, not me. Furthermore, my exerpted comment reads as follows: "...These relatively inexpensive devices (when properly calibrated) give a good estimate of your elevation or altitude relative to sea level..." Note the word "ELEVATION" here. (I included the word "altitude" because these devices are called "altimeters" and not "elevometers".) So there, smartypants!
    LoL! You got me - I WAS just being a smarty pants!

tidester, host
  • highlander7highlander7 Member Posts: 177
    Galileo757 and Kheintz1,

Thank you both for your responses, you have answered one of my questions. This is a great forum, you will get your answer and often share humor with all.

Altitude, Height, Depth, Elevation, Rise, Height above Sea Level, Height above the ground, Loftiness ... just need to use the right choice of words.

Both Garmin's Streetpilot III and eTrex Summit use the GPS 3D technology to give you an altitude reading. This would be a great option (elevation) for the folks that have the need for this. I have the type that uses barometric pressure, needs frequent calibration.
    And yes, I use this from the beach to the mountains. And in places like New Orleans and Death Valley you will get that DEPTH reading, below sea level.

INFO FROM GARMIN'S SITE:
    A GPS receiver must be locked on to the signal of at least three satellites to calculate a 2D position (latitude and longitude) and track movement. With four or more satellites in view, the receiver can determine the user's 3D position (latitude, longitude and altitude). Once the user's position has been determined, the GPS unit can calculate other information, such as speed, bearing, track, trip distance, distance to destination, sunrise and sunset time and more.

My other question. Has anyone seen or used the backup camera?

thanks....
  • Galileo757Galileo757 Member Posts: 37
    I was trying to inject some humor into the answer, was not trying to be a smartypants. I have a backup camera in my 2003 4 runner, call it my 2nd seat passenger which will not work if its very cold or raining.
    Sincerely,
    Smartypants
  • highlander7highlander7 Member Posts: 177
    Galileo,

I understand and really do appreciate your response, you answered my question. And thank you for the humor, it livens up the forum from time to time.

When I asked this question to the salesperson and then the manager at my local Toyota dealership they had no idea of what I was asking. They probably thought to themselves why would anyone want this feature.

Kheintz1,
    Your contributions to this forum are excellent. Appreciate the input that this would be worthwhile using the GPS technology. I'm sure some folks would like other values like barometric pressure, relative humidity, dew point and severe weather alerts to be displayed on the GPS monitor. Maybe the next generation of these devices will offer more options. Of course watching the (in motion) radar of an approaching severe thunderstorm would be one more distraction the driver does not need. But I would like it!!
  • hotrod051hotrod051 Member Posts: 11
    I live in Western New York and ordered an 04 SE 4 Runner about a month ago. I was wondering if anyone else has placed an order for an 04 (any model) and received an ETA. I've noticed that some 04's are scattered throughout the country, but haven't heard of any in the NorthEast yet.
    Thanks
  • vodgutvodgut Member Posts: 162
    Not sure if Toyota is the same way, but on my Audi taking the battery out of the keyless entry caused it to reset, and the dealer had to reprogram the remote before it would work. So the dealer had to do the battery change. Kind of annoying and expensive. Toyota's remotes probably behave the same way. Maybe there's something in the owner's manual about it. I think to replace the batteries in my Audi remote and have it reprogrammed was $34.
  • sween77sween77 Member Posts: 31
    Whats the best combo for a non show car like 4runner? Can you apply Z2 by itself and get good results? Or do you have to prep with ZFX first? Also whats the diiference between Z1,Z2,Z3 etc.?
  • bryancosbryancos Member Posts: 282
    If you broke a keyless remote or lost your remote and transponder keys or just want extras, check out these links:

For replacement keyless remotes:
    http://www.keylessride.com/

Pricing for 2003: SR5:
    2003 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport Utility 4D
    Remote and Programming

List Price: $54.00
    Dealership Price: $190.00*
    You Save: $136.00 (72% off!)

For replacement transponder keys:
    http://www.streetkeys.com/ or 1-866-BUY-KEYS

A search for 2003 SR5 yielded the following prices:

Description: Master Key for your 2003 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport Utility 4D
    Quantity: 1
    Unit Price: $39.99
    Total Price: $39.99

Please choose a service level for your key.

Premium Service
    I would like a local Street Keys Affiliate to cut and activate my keys at my residence, place of business or any other location of my choosing. I understand that an existing key is required as a template for cutting my key blank(s).

Key Total Price: $39.99
    Activation Service: $39.99
    House Call Service: $45.00
    Total Cost: $124.98

Basic Service

I would like a local Street Keys Affiliate to cut and activate my keys at the Affiliate&#146;s place of business. I understand that an existing key is required as a template for cutting my key blank(s).

Activation Service: $39.99
    House Call Service: $0.00
    Total Cost: $79.98

No Service - Keys Only
    I would NOT like to purchase the key cutting and activation services of a local Street Keys Affiliate. I understand that the key blank will not operate the vehicle until it is cut and activated.
    Activation Service: $0.00
    House Call Service: $0.00
    Total Cost: $39.99

• bmw323isbmw323is Member Posts: 410
    Go to www.zainobros.com. I think their website includes a explanation how/when to use each of their prodcuts.
  • alfster1alfster1 Member Posts: 273
    Hmm, according to the manual, it should be a painless proceedure. You just need to remove the old battery and replace it with a new one with the (+) side up. If it still doesn't operate, you need to visit your helpul Toyota dealer and plead for mercy :)
    The information at Zaino's web site will give you the best overview of their products and the synergistic "system" of these products. I first began using these products several years ago, well before the new ZFX Flash Cure Accelerator was available, so at this time I'm more comfortable using Zaino's system with their older Z-1 Polish Lok, simply because I'm already familiar with this approach. That said, I might try the ZFX next time I detail my truck in the spring, but then again I'm lazy, and I might not want to get into all of the pre-mixing, measuring, and other tasks that ZFX requires. (Also, the info. at Zaino's web site says that any unused mixtures of their products suitable with ZFX must be discarded and can't be stored for long after the products are mixed and the project is completed, since once they're mixed, the chemical reaction clock starts ticking.) At any rate, ZFX is reportedly a great addition to the Zaino line, so it's your decision as to which route you feel most comfortable with, since I don't think you can go wrong either way.

"...Whats the best combo for a non show car like 4runner? Can you apply Z2 by itself and get good results..?" This is a very good question, and although I'm certainly no expert here, I would offer the following thoughts (in addition to those I've recently posted at this forum, regarding my experiences with Zaino products.)...

I believe that Zaino products were originally conceived and painstakingly developed with an eye towards the demands of "show car" enthusiasts, but these products have subsequently been recognized as the gold standard among a growing and ever wider variety of car, truck, SUV, motorcycle (etc.) owners/enthusiasts who, who simply want the best finish protection combined with a lustrous, gorgeous finish for their vehicles, regardless of whether those vehicles are "everyday" rides on the one hand, or exotic show pieces on the other hand. Either way, these are phenomenal products, and by the way, I have no special interest in these products other than being a very satisfied and amazed consumer.

"...Can you apply Z2 by itself and get good results? Or do you have to prep with...?" My suggestion here would be that whether you decide to use ZFX or not, you should still follow Zaino's web site recommendations for whichever path you select (e.g., using ZFX or not). For a new vehicle that has not had any "waxes", or "protection packages" or other gunk applied to the finish (and if the finish is otherwise pristine) then first wash/rinse/dry with Zaino
    Z-7 wash, and then proceed as follows: 1) Unless there is a really compelling reason to use the "clay bar", forget about this step; 2) Apply Z-1 Polish Lok according to the directions, and allow to dry to a faint haze as directed. (Of course, the good news here is that you should NOT wipe-off Z-1, so quit moaning and belly-aching, will ya?!) Z-1 is said to greatly help to prep. and facilitate bonding of the subsequent Zaino polishes to the underlying vehicle finish, so skipping the Z-1 step is probably not a good idea; 3) Using Z-6 Gloss Enhancer Spray to keep your applicator moist throughout the detailing process (not sure whether this is needed when using ZFX), you might next proceed to applying/wiping-off a coat of Z-5 for filling-in any minor and often inevitable clear-coat defects, or you can skip Z-5 and proceed to applying/wiping off Z-2 (for clear-coated finishes if applicable.); 4) Regardless of whether you choose to use Z-5 as a first polish step, I have found that *two* successive applications of Z-2 is a good idea if you want better protection and luster; if you're feeling really energetic (I'm not), then go for three or more coats of Z-2, but unless you're living next to a steel mill or other source of heavy acid rain or other nasties, two coats of Z-2 should be fine; 5) Apply Z-16 Tire Gloss, Z-10 Leather conditioner, Z-9 Leather Cleaner, and any other Zaino products that interest you, as indicated and needed; 6) As always, take your time, follow directions, have fun, and enjoy your results.
    Thank you for those kind words of encouragement and humor!
    We have a magnificent truck here, as well as a fine discussion forum.
  • mgabel2mgabel2 Member Posts: 37
    I'm about to special order a Sport with side air bags (and some other modest goodies). Can't decide between the V6 and the V8. I'll not be towing. I've driven both, but I can't much tell the difference (but I'm not sure how in tune I am to these things). The 8 was quieter but the 6 was not noisy. Maybe the 8 had more pick-up. I really don't know. The specs say it should.

Any advice? Is the sulfur really more problematic with the 8? Thanks.
  • tangmantangman Member Posts: 127
    I just ordered a V8 sport and went through many of your thoughts in selecting the engine. So far I asked many people on the gas milage. They all claimed roughly the same for the v8 and v6 (16-19mpg). The oil filter is much easier to change on the V6 verses the v8. I understand that the V8 has a timing belt verses the v6 chain, which means mainteance costs on the v8 will be greater since it needs to be changed. In the end, I selected the V8 simply because it is a proven engine over time in many Toyota products including the Tundra. The V8 felt more solid to me, most likely because it is heavier. If you search through the posts on this board you will see a lot of views on engine selection.

Tangman
  • jagsdadjagsdad Member Posts: 56
    I choose the V8. I test drove both engines back-to-back on same models. It was not a giant difference but there definitely is a difference. The V6 has more than enough power off the line, but the V8 was ridiculous--lots of punch. The V8 was also more quiet and deeper, throatier. The biggest difference was when accelerating. The V6 sort of whined, with a bit of a strained high pitch, just like most any vehicle on the road. The V8 had more of a "quiet roar". It has been a couple months since my test drives, though, and I am probably exaggerating the distinction by now, but that is the way I remember feeling about it at the time. I sure the V6 will work fine, but the V8 is exceptional.
  • jcliffrojcliffro Member Posts: 108
    1. Mgabel2, I am really glad you decided side air bags are worth the wait. I will do the same thing when it comes time for me to get a 4-Runner. Do us a favor and let us know how long it took from the date of your order to the date you could pick up your new 4-Runner. Thanks.

2. I really don't like remote keyless entry, although I am sure I am in the minority. I am used to just locking my Z the "old way" and every time I drive my mother's Camry with remote keyless entry, I end up creating a nightmare. My question is this...with the new 4-Runner, does one have the option to just lock the remote up somewhere and just rely on the door locks and key to lock/unlock the vehicle?
  • mgabel2mgabel2 Member Posts: 37
    Yes, I'd be happy to let you know the timetable between when I order and when I get. Indeed, in my view, side air bags are worth the wait. It boggles my mind why they are not standard. I assume that safety sells and surely the public understands the idea of an air bag better than VSC, for example. And the logic that a "Sport" model does not need side air bags but the other models do - again, strange.

I've not signed any papers yet, so I'm not sure what the dealer will promise, but I think it will be around 4 months. But I've already been warned it could take 6 and even maybe 2. I was told that, maybe, if I got a V8 it might come faster, as apparently not so long ago someone got a Sport V8 with side air bags accepted from my area (Central Atlantic). Not sure about the logic there, either.
  • coranchercorancher Member Posts: 232
    jcliffro, yes you can just put the keyless entry transmitters in a drawer and use your keys. There are key slots in the driver's door and rear hatch, but not in the passenger's door. I suspect, though, that if you use the keyless system for a day or two you'll be comfortable with it and may prefer to use it.

As for the problem with the remote going brain dead after a battery change, one might try just pressing the lock or unlock button a bunch of times in sequence after the battery change, when near the vehicle. It's rather tedious to explain in any detail here (people have got to be dreading my too-long posts by now!), but the remote has probably started its pseudorandom sequence in a different spot and it will take a number of samples for the vehicle's immobilizer computer to recognize it. I don't think these remote transmitters actually have a memory that needs to be reset, but I could be wrong. It's possible that the transmitter itself has gone bad, and that the battery isn't actually dead.

As for the Zaino application and ZFX or the polish lock, I've heard from several sources that you do actually need to use one of them, along with the Z2. Otherwise the Z2 just won't cure. These aren't traditional waxes, where a solvent evaporates and leaves the wax compound behind. They seem a little more like epoxy, where you need something to facilitate a chemical reaction. I like the ZFX because it's really easy to mix and to apply, and cures quickly and reliably. You've got hours and hours to use the mixture before it cures in the bottle, and you only mix up 2-3 oz. each time (to do the entire vehicle with 1-2 coats) so you're not throwing any real $ away if you toss part of an oz. of mixture.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Forget the clay? I love the clay!

Lots more here:

Zaino Car Polishes/Products--Your Experiences (Part 2)

and for the rest of us:

Store Bought Waxes Part II (No Zaino Posts)

Steve, Host
  • jonnytightjonnytight Member Posts: 15
    THANKS FOR ALL THE REPLIES!!!! will try all of your advice, and if i dont have any luck i will go to my toyota dealer and have them check it out.
    -jon
  • asif1asif1 Member Posts: 49
    After month of study and getting to know that toyota is putting 3rd row seat i decided to buy one ASAP. i did'nt like the cheap cladding on 03 models but the color matched are awesome. i choosed Titanium Metallic exterior and Stone Interior with 17 inch Wheels, Leather steering wheel, 3rd row seat, roof rack and cross bar and carpet floor mats. i found the dealer who was willing to sell me one at 200$ above invoice. The factory invoice was different with one dealers have in Louisiana. They include TDA (Toyota Dealer Association) and MAF (Manufacturer Advertisment cost) above invoice which makes 550-700$. but even then i got settled with 2300$ less than MSRP. with 3rd row seat the whole Louisiana had 6-7 2004 models in titanium metallic, it took my dealer 2 days to get hands on one and my patience was running out, just to be owner of one. The morning i got my vehicle, i absolutly fell in love at first sight, the side view, the back view and over all looks are so sporty, so elegant and so sexy. The stone interior is awesome, it is a mid tone gray, perfect for titanium exterior. i wanted Sunroof but to my surprise either i can have sunroof or 3rd row seat. may be this was the case b/c i wanted to buy from fist comming lot of 2004. The 2nd row seats are hydraulically folded, needs very little force. 3rd row seats are bit tight, good of kids or medium built ppl. Interior is excellent with orange illuminated lights at night. Acceleration, smoothness, comfort are all excellent. i was getting leather interior in all 3 row of seats with just 1100$ above price, but i doubt it was factory original and my wife dont like leather, specially in winters. but i am very happy with this extruded stone cloth interior. Now the sad part.....after just 15 mins, when i was driving back from dealer a stone hit like bullet on my windshield and chipped a tiny seed size part. only i can see it, i got it fixed with a windshield repair center who put some liquid in it to prevent from further spreading. i talked to dealer about 3 yr 36 k warrenty but he said road hazard does'nt comes in it. any suggestions on fixing that 1 cm chip will be appreciated.(if i need to do some thing else). Also i am new to this forum and a first time SUV owner, any suggestions to improve my SUV looks and performance will be appreciated.

In nut shell, Best SUV, lots of standard feauters, definatly in love with it.
    You have to remove the headrests?
         My seats fold down with headrests on.

It depends on how far back the front seats are. I have mine all the way back.
  • rogers12rogers12 Member Posts: 140
    Will the 17-inch wheels that are optional on current models fit on the previous generation of 4Runner?
  • rogers12rogers12 Member Posts: 140
    In a 2000 SR5 4Runner, in 2WD mode, should you be able to reach under the truck and turn the front propeller shaft by hand or is it locked to the front wheels and unable to turn?
  • kbhockeykbhockey Member Posts: 29
    Anyone have any good experiences with Western PA Toyota dealers for service? Looking for the best place to take the truck in for it's first service interval-
    Asif1, I am also in Louisiana, New Orleans to be specific and will be looking to find the best dealer from Lafayette to Gulfport/Biloxi who would special order an SR-5 with side air bags for me. What town are you in and did you get your 4-Runner off a dealer's lot or order it, cher? Laissez les bon tempes roulette with your new 4-Runner.
  • asif1asif1 Member Posts: 49
    i bought my 4 runner from Courvelle toyota in Opelousas. i live in lafayette but got best deal with them. they found one, in lot, matching my requirement in Louisiana and also had several at port with other options, he said if i order it can be anywhere from 2-5 weeks, if it is on ground. dont know about 2-6 months. i searched all dealers from new orleans to baton rouge and most of them try to play numbers with you, i hate when they think you are comming from mars to buy a car and know nothing about market price. i advise, give courvelle toyota a call and ask them to sell one to you at base invoice, i was also reffered to them by some body. This dealer printed me his invoice for 4-5 vehicles and ask to give 200$ above. i could'nt negotiate a $ on his offer. and yes stay away from Baton Rouge, they try to charge market adjustment value of 900 and will waist your whole day in negotiations. Best of luck with your purchase, do tell me if you need any pricing details....
    It sounds like the dealers thought you were one step removed from Mars....that you were coming from way down the bayou (you and I know what that means)...so I will check what is left of my Cajun accent and perhaps try to handle things through the mail by sending each dealer a written bid sheet with final price stated at the bottom and the name/signature of the sales manager. That worked the last time I bought a car that was in high demand (my Z). I will jot your name down and let you know how things go. And thanks for the warning on BR dealers; perhaps the one in Opelousas would be willing to special order for me since it is nothing ventured/nothing gained if they don't.
  • bcmalibu99lsbcmalibu99ls Member Posts: 625
    just scream "DAHLIN!!!" and you'll get the car for 50% off :-)
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    lol @ dahlin. The last time I was in Bogalusa it smelled like a 4Runner burning bad petrol.

Ok, it was 30-some years ago ;-)

Now just pass that sack of smoked crawdads over this way.

Steve, Host
    Nothing has changed in Bogalusa in 30 years. It still smells like a V-8 4-Runner.
  • jfn1000jfn1000 Member Posts: 40
    Just wanted to follow up on some earlier posts. I took delivery of an 04 4runner sr5 v8 4x4 last week and seem to be experiencing the brake vibration pedal vibration (usually every 5th time pedal is applied. How common is this? I saw on an earlier post that a Master Cylinder was replaced and seemed to fix the problem. Any other owners experiencing similar symptoms? Any been fixed? Are service managers aware of the issue?

Thank you
  • saarkazmsaarkazm Member Posts: 11
    Hi guys,

Anybody here have any experience w/ an Optima Yellow Top battery in their &#146;03 4runners? I have an existing aftermarket audio system and planning to upgrade to a video system soon. A deepcycle battery (Optima) was recommended to me. Called Optima and was told they don&#146;t offer any batteries for the &#146;03 4runners and only a Red top for the &#145;02&#146;s (34R 8003-151). Do you know if putting the battery in anyway will damage my system and truck? I&#146;m even open to other brands, but I was told Optima deep cycle is king of the hill. Thanks in advance.

Jeff
  • klaudnycklaudnyc Member Posts: 36
    JFN:
    I'm having the same problem, but more frequently than you (happens 50% of the time I brake). Actually, earlier today I posted on the 4Runner: Problems & Solutions board about my experience at the dealer.

Basically the mechanic, whom I don't have confidence in, told me the vibration is the result of the hydraulic system re-pressurizing the brake lines. He says that when brakes are applied, the lines de-pressurize. While this explanation sounds plausible, I don't think it is supposed to happen this frequently.

Page 250 of the manual says "You may hear a sound in the engine compartment after the engine is started or the brake pedal is depressed repeatedly. This is a pump pulsating sound of the brake system, and it is not a malfunction". They don't mention the vibration, but I'm 99% sure this sound accompanies the buzz we are feeling. This seems to make sense - when the car starts or when the brake lines are totally de-pressurized, the hydraulic kicks in. The frequency at which it occurs with our vehicles can't be normal.

Oscar did very well in having his dealer replace the master cylinder. I think it may be difficult to convince my mechanic to do the same thing.

I brought my truck to a second dealer and I'll report the results tomorrow.
    I have an 03 Sport V-8. I have no pulsing or vibrating brake pedal, ever. I don't think it's normal
  • uktruckeruktrucker Member Posts: 14
    With the onset of colder weather my 03 V8 has also started making a "re-pressure" noise on just about every brake pedal press. The noise sounds like an electric motor running for around 3-4 seconds, often with a distinct "click" when it turns off. With the engine turned off, but the ignition on, pressing the brake pedal around 3 times in quick succession will also trigger the noise. With mine though it's just a noise - I can't say that I feel anything in the pedal. I'm also getting a chirp or squeak from the brake pedal which I don't recall having before.

I agree with klaudnyc that having this happen all the time seems abnormal. It may be that it's always done it, and it's either a motor getting noisier or not having the A/C on makes it more prominent. Whatever it is I'll point it out at the next sevice.
  • jaredmsdjaredmsd Member Posts: 127
    I forgot who posted the question of the speaker size, but here goes.

Yes, the small speakers are tweeters. The front doors and the back doors both have 6 1/2's. I'm not sure what is mounted in the dash or the back mirrors. The sub is a 10 inch.

With that in mind, you could really put a tremendous aftermarket stereo in there. Since you have separate tweeter spots, you could put in high-end component speakers (MBQuart, JL, Eclipse), not to mention that you already have a spot for the center channel speaker and a sub. I would call a local audio shop for the exact sizes (they can just look it up on a computer system they use). Don't call best buy, circuit city, or the good guys.. call a real shop. You certainly don't have to go high end, but getting advice from a good shop is well worth the free phone call. If you don't have a local one, and you don't mind calling long distance, give California Soundworks a call (I've used them many times) and just ask for the correct sizes, they should know (661) 945-0971.
  • bryancosbryancos Member Posts: 282
    Check out these neat toys for the Hilux Surf (4Runner Twin) such as this rear bumper step:

More at: http://www.japanparts.com/shop/shop.cgi?mode=list2&maker=Toyo- ta&type_car=Hilux+Surf+N21%23
  • klaudnycklaudnyc Member Posts: 36
    Today I spoke with a service rep from the other Toyota dealership in my area. BIG improvement in terms of knowledge and customer service (way to go Penn Toyota!).

Sunroof rattle: Turns out the rattle is coming from the headliner behind the sunroof and not the sunroof itself. For good measure, they will perform both TSBs (headliner + sunroof) to ensure no noise will be heard again.

Brake vibration: As I expected, this was trickier to diagnose. The rep never heard of this problem with Toyota SUVs. He took it for a test drive and felt the vibration. But their computer didn’t recognize any problems (nor does my truck’s computer) and the truck is running perfectly according to their overall diagnosis. He spoke to some area mechanics and got mixed opinions. Some said it’s simply the boost and normal, others said it’s abnormal. The next step he’s taking is calling the Toyota Field Service Technician to check it out. Unfortunately I can’t walk in there with a message from this discussion board and ask them to replace my master cylinder. I’m afraid they may think of that as a last resort because of the price ($1100) and complexity.

Oscar, any chance you could provide me with the name of the dealership and/or service rep that repaired your truck? I think it would help tremendously if my rep were able to hear firsthand from someone who already corrected this problem.