Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2010 Acura TSX

Comments

• bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    Manuals are never a good trade-in (unless it's in a sports car). At least not in North America.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    Thank you for that. One learns something new every day. :D
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    I'm just stating what I believe is true. No need to be sarcastic. (I apologize if I mis-read the tone of your reply, but it sounded like sarcasm.)
  • biker4biker4 Member Posts: 746
    Trade-in you're right - private sale no. There's definitely a sizable driver pool that is looking for an MT.
  • miamicrv1miamicrv1 Member Posts: 66
    In doing some research I was surprised to find that both JD Powers and Delta True Reliability rated the GTI and TSX almost the same in terms of reliability. On the JD Power Initial Quality study which is the one I'm most interested in, the GTI actually edges out the TSX in a number of key areas and barely lags behind in others.

I'm not sure which surprises me most the most, that the GTI scores so high given all of VW's bad reliability press or Acura scores so low, given their Honda DNA.

Any opinions?
  • nj2pa2ncnj2pa2nc Member Posts: 811
    I previously owned a 05 honda civic ex-se and still own a 05 hyundai elantra GT, both bought new. The civic was a P.O.S., one annoying problem after another. Sold it and kept the elantra. Excellent no problem car after 90,000+miles. I also own a 06 tsx, bought new 11/06. It now has almost 98,000 problem free miles-love it.
  • tannistannis Member Posts: 9
    I really don't know where they are getting their information or on what basis they do their scoring but IMHO, the whole "initial quality" thing is just that. Initial. I don't think many people quite understand what that statement actually means. Its right off the lot quality. But after 10k miles, how is your car holding up? VW's reliability is still garbage. Just like BMW. Which still makes me wonder where in the world they get off thinking that BMWs are so great. They aren't. They break. All the freakin time. The 335i. Garbage. My buddy bought one. It been to the dealer more than he's driven it. I've done some research and found many 335 owners with the same problems. Not just squeeks... Nasty engine issues. Cooling issues. Interior pieces falling off and breaking. The fact that a standard BMW comes stripped with LeatherETTE just rubs me the wrong way too. That is not quality. It is not "refinement." It is garbage. BMW deserves no accolades for for producing the worlds most expensive POS ever built. (aside from Cadillac's Catera model)... But I digress.

Its all the same though. Initial quality is just initial. For some reason people are trying to take stabs at Acura's new approach and design. Every time designers get a bit "daring" in their vehicles' looks they get hammered for it. It is typical because the average American motorist wants their vehicle to be bland like their food. Acura stepped out of that blandness (not like they were too bland before) and introduced a vehicle line-up that is stellar. Not everyone agrees with the motor setups in each car and most think they should all be RWD. Well then that's getting away from Honda's heritage with the exception of the S2000. That car had a good reason to be RWD. Not the TSX. Not the TL.

I know this post is all over the map but forgive me as I tend to vent while I think about these things on the fly.

I was at the auto show a few weeks ago in Virginia Beach. I got to see every vehicle side by side which was great since I was on the market for a new one. I had done 7 months of research. I wanted the BEST vehicle I could find that covered everything I wanted out of it including warranty and reliability. I looked at Acura last and I couldn't walk away. I was sold on the TSX that day. Two days ago I pulled the trigger and inked a deal on a 2010 TSX. I am more than confident that I, including everyone else that purchases and Acura, essentially bought the best vehicle on the market. Initial quality is better than that of the GTI. I sat in the GTI. I hated it. The TSX? I didn't want to get out of it. I think they were biased because of the performance figures on the window sticker. The GTI with more HP and torque, a manual, and whatever else doesn't exactly fit the bill with "initial quality." Like I said, They are biased and I think VW bought out a few of the people doing the scoring to sell more cars. And everytime I hear the words "German engineering" all I can think of is seeing my buddies 335i being loaded on a flatbed and hauled off to the BMW service department. Its not a great sports car if it cant handle the rigors of 35mph roads. Gee. Really pushing it aren't I? I propose a boycott on crappy German engineering. Buy an Acura.
  • miamicrv1miamicrv1 Member Posts: 66
    Hi Tannis...after two BMWs myself, the first 320i in 1984 and the 325e I totally concur. BMW is nothing but the Ultimate Marketing Hype.
    On a Europe trip last year we had the chance to rent both a Skoda Octavia which we loved and felt rock solid and an Audi A3 Turbo Diesel with A/T that was also a blast to drive. It left us hungering for an affordable German car. Generally reviews indicate questionable reliability and a terrible dealer network at VW but rarely question the fun factor of the car.
    I've read a mix of reviews on the TSX from the largely negative reviews at "The Truth About Cars" which were negative on the electric steering and interior design to more positive reviews on Autoblog.
    What I want to make sure of is, if I forgo German car performance for Japanese reliability, that I really get the reliability.
  • ingvaringvar Member Posts: 205
    I'm driving 335i and having 0 issues. I had 1 Honda and 1 Acura before and it was PITA. Tons of small issues and couple major - wrapped rotors, jammed calipers, interior lamps, failed trans and etc... My girlfriend had a civic in 1991, it was real Japanese quality with 0 issues. This days, she is driving German car and had loving it.
    glad to hear you are enjoying your cars-Just wondering how many miles do you have on them. My 06 tsx, bought new 11/06, now has almost 98,000 problem free miles. It still has the original brakes and never no warped rotors.
  • tannistannis Member Posts: 9
    Hey there miamicrv1 and ingvar. I thought that after reading the preceding posts it would be acceptable to go in this direction. Everyone has had a car before that was recommended by someone else or touted as the greatest thing ever and wound up with a lemon. It does not matter what manufacturer it is. Not every Honda or Acura will be 100% problem free forever. It is assinine to think that is possible. Same thing in the BMW and VW brands.

Now about the electric steering in the TSX. When I first drove one it was a 2009. I HATED it. I started shopping for a 1st gen TSX. But I kept coming back to the 2nd gen because I wanted something with 0 miles on it and brand new so I was stuck with the 2nd gen. I went back and drove a 2010. The steering was still a little something to get used to because it is a bit of a change from the traditional setup but other than that it was dead on straight and rock solid. I loved it. So I thought it was just the other car that was having an issue. I found out after I bought my 2010 that for the 2010 model year they revised the programming that would help give the vehicle the solid straight line drive instead of constantly having to compensate to keep it going forward. Lucky me. But that definitely changed my tune about the car. I'm not sure anyone has recognized this step by Acura to fix that glitch yet but it seems to me that the steering is now just something to get used to as with any dramatic change to anything you do.

Finally, Japanese reliability vs. sports car fun = it is all up to you on what you are willing to put up with. It really doesn't matter what you get. It is your tolerance to b/s. It should be a car that fits your personality. It should all but speak to you. And in some cases it will, at great length. The TSX was perfect for me. It did all of that and it has reliability. If it breaks, I have a warranty. Good luck with your choices.
    We've had 2 Minis for a combined 5 + years, about the same period we've owned our TL. The Minis have been no more troublesome than the TL, if not slightly less.

And before you dismiss the BMW leatherette, have you actually personally had one with the leatherette. It's probably a higher-quality material that some of the crap leather Honda puts in their cars.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,414
    between the 2 marquees that I actually own, a 2001 Honda Prelude Type SH, a 2007 BMW X3 3.0si, & a 2010 Acura TSX.

BMWs N54 fuel pump failures are well documented. They realize a problem & have replaced the twin scroll turbo with a single scroll turbo pumping out the same HP & Torque #s as the N54.

Our '07 X3 has been the absolute pinnacle of reliability. In a little over 2 & a half years it has only been back to the dealer once (unscheduled) - wouldn't start one am. The dealer took me right away & put me in a loaner vehicle. BTW, the leatherette is awesome.

My Dad also had an '04 X5 3.0 & is currently coming to the end of his lease on an '07 X5 3.0 that were dead reliable. My Mom had an '05 530i & currently drives an '08 328xi that have been absolutely fantastic.

Our '10 TSX Tech is a fantastic car for the money. It has drives great, gets stellar gas mileage, has a huge trunk, every option imaginable, and has probably the best slushbox I've ever driven. The electric power steering works well driving on the highway, but get out of the TSX and into a 3 series or even my Prelude or X3 & you notice a big difference.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• ingvaringvar Member Posts: 205
    On 335 I have almost 70K problem free miles.I love my car, but hate run flats. Had to replace it immediately with a new summer and winter tires.
    My sister is looking for a new family car, so today we are going to test drive a 2010 TSX.
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    Leatherette wears better too. Really doesn't mean anything to me. Not a big deal. But, can understand having leather too. It does feel a bit better.
  • maxbetamaxbeta Member Posts: 12
    "On 335 I have almost 70K problem free miles.I love my car, but hate run flats. Had to replace it immediately with a new summer and winter tires."

What was the problem you had with your run flats?
  • billpaulbillpaul Member Posts: 103
    I came very close to buying a 2009 TSX, but my wife could not tolerate the jittery ride. Consumer Reports & some other reviewers have also commented on this problem. What are your thoughts on the 2010 TSX? I have been hoping they would improve the ride.
    I like the smell of leather, but Honda leather doesn't even have much of the leather smell. As for comfort...leather, leatherette, same difference. And you're absolutely right about the durability and low-maintenance of BMW's leatherette. We think nothing of throwing a wet coat or dripping umbrella into the Mini. Try that with leather! Of course, I understand that if you spend $40K+ on a BMW, there may be some stigma attached to having leatherette.
    I understand the stigma too, but don't really care. My wife's water broke in the passenger seat on the way to the hospital of our leatherette equipped X3 - No Worries about it.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• rlonn1rlonn1 Member Posts: 106
    I have driven my wife 2009 TSX Tech off and on since March of last year. 13,200 miles and from San Diego have driven to Phoenix, Las Vegas and Mammoth Mountain, trips that are 5,8,11 hours in duration. What I have found is the car rides a LOT better after the suspension breaks in over time and 32 lb of tire pressure. Yes it can be a bit stiff at times, but I found that I was not hindered by the ride or my ability to stay comfortable, and I am 62 years old. I have a 2005 Honda Pilot and it is a softer ride, but has no where near the stabilility of the TSX. The TSX was my first Acura, and I was so impressed with my wife TSX, that on Saturday I purchased a 2010 TL SH-AWD Tech... Yes the TL has a much finer ride compared to the TSX but the TL is not as Soft as a new Buick, but the TL will blow the buick off the road! :):):)
  • normanjnormanj Member Posts: 10
    Speaking of durability, my wife's 04 TSX has just past 125,000 miles with a few problems. Warped rotors replaced twice under warranty, rear bearings at 70,000, dash lights out, squeaks, and 2 recalls (headlights and rear wiring harness). Still a great, solid car and running well. My 03 MB C230 has just past 117,000 miles with no problems and just one recall about 4 years ago. It feels as solid as when I bought it.

Check out VW's rating for the Golf. Above average reliability.
    My 06 tsx, bought new 11/06, has almost 99,000 miles now. It has had no recalls-and still has the original brakes (no warping either). The only complaint I have is the lousy paint that chip easy. My foglights cracked within the first 4 months. The dealer replaced them as a one-time goodwill. I put rockblocker on them. The dealer replaced the battery a month ago-saying it tested low- free under the 4 year unlimited mileage warranty. Love it.
  • sargondizzosargondizzo Member Posts: 20
    Did you ever find out what was causing this to occur?
  • gbosilgbosil Member Posts: 88
    Yes. A piece of casting was left inside the metal tubing of the wheel. They ordered me a new steering wheel and replaced it free of charge.
  • smarty666smarty666 Member Posts: 1,503
    Hi all, I am not sure if this was the specific discussion to post this in so I thought why the heck not and see what a bunch of you guys think! I have a 08 TL, actually my second, after a 06 TL I had and there has been a lot of BS spread on a couple of luxury forums on here, namely the one that questions Hyundai ever becoming a luxury brand on the auto news tab, that Acura isn't really considered a luxury make like BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Lexus, and Infiniti are?

I have currently both luxury and mainstream cars and I can say with 100% certainty that Acura is just as luxurious as BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, etc! and this is based off not only my experience with the cars but with the dealership, service department, and corporate in regards to customer service etc!

I have been having to constantly defend all our honors because I personally feel this argument is ludicrous, and while Acura certainly doesn't have a luxury sport enthusiast background (ie the lack of a V8 with RWD model) that doesn't mean that they are not any less luxurious then the other 5 in all sense of the word "luxury"

I've argued that except for sport performance/super crisp handling, Acura provides all the necessary characteristics of a luxury brand, such as high quality, proven reliability, above and beyond dealership/service experience, loaner cars, high reliability, great technology, and luxury creature comfort! all of which make it a luxury brand

I'm sick of people trashing Acura like they are rebadged Honda's while I have test driven Honda's back to back with Acura's I can assure you they are not simply rebadged Honda's!!

I wanted to get all you Acura owner and leasee thoughts on this subject and suggest you visit the luxury boards on edmunds and defend Acura's luxury status with a passion and tell all the rest of the luxury car owning community, especially the sport enthusiast community WHY AND WHAT makes Acura a luxury line!!

I personally and tired of hearing from the BMW, Mercedes, and Lexus people that Acura is a "wannabe" or "pretend" luxury brand - their is more to luxury then V8/RWD don't you think???

Look forward to hearing your posts!!!
  • gbosilgbosil Member Posts: 88
    I concur! I also own a 2007 Acura TLS and a 2010 TSX v6 w/Tech. My third car is a 2009 Porsche 911 C4S. Yes I am a Porsche owner and drive Acuras! Acura is every bit of LUXURY! In fact it's the best deal in LUXURY out there! Go ahead and spend 8-10K more per segment for a LEXUS, BMW, AUDI or MERCEDES. Get out your checkbook too! I have had "0" problems with my Acuras! All of my clients are blown away by the RIDE, COMFORT and most important TECHNOLOGY! Acura SMOKES the COMPETITION in Technology..period! Acura's styling is one of the best on the road as far as cutting edge modern look.. PERIOD! Go ahead and drive an OLD MAN'S Car like a MERCEDES! YUCK! Audi is nice and all if you like making numerous trips to the dealership for mechanical problems! Take a second look at Acura it will impress you! ;)
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    So why do you care what other people think?

If you love the luxury of your Acura, that's all that matters.

Personally, I think Acura is a "tweener" brand on the luxury scale. Kind of in there with Volvo, Saab, and Lincoln. I do think that not having a RWD sedan hurts Acura's image.
    Acura IS Honda's luxury brand. What others think of my cars are irrelevant, especially on some internet board.

Part of Acura's beauty is that underneath the leather, Satellite Linked Navigation System, sport tuned suspension, bluetooth, voice recognition technology... lies a Honda. I think they do an excellent job of differentiating platform mates (We are not talking about badge engineering here).

If anything, the one luxury brand guilty of "rebadging" is Lexus. Their top 2 selling models (ES350 & RX350) are re-skinned Camrys. Part of what Toyota has done over the past few years is make the loaded up Camrys so nice on the inside so you "can hardly tell its not a Lexus."

Personally I applaud Acura for having a 4 cylinder engine in a Luxury car - something I WISH BMW would do.

Personally, the way a car drives is much more important than its luxury features. It is part of the reason my 2010 Acura TSX will replace our '07 X3 as the family hauler once the BMWs lease is up in July.

The 3 major gripes I have with my TSX are the leather, the brakes, & the steering.

While it is nice to say that leather is a standard feature, it is definitely a cheaper grade of leather. I can already see signs of wear on the driver's side bolster. The leatherette in our '07 X3 still looks brand new & looks like it will stay that way forever. But again, you have to build cars to a price point to make a profit.

The brakes are decent at best, NOWHERE near as fantastic as on our X3 (or my '01 Prelude Type SH). I think this is one area that Honda flat out cheaped out on.

The electric power steering doesn't remotely tramsmit as much feedback as a traditional hydraulic rack (See my wife's X3 & my Prelude). But I understand this was done for fuel economy purposes.

Everything else about my 2010 TSX I absolutely LOVE. The seats are thickly bolstered & very comfortable. The trunk is massive. Heated seats work wonders on those chilly mornings. The engine is a gem, loves to rev. This car has the best slushbox I've ever driven, responds quickly to pedal input & will hold a lower gear all day at the redline in Sport or Manual mode. Fuel economy is fantastic. Cruising range is excellent. Interior plastics are first rate. I really dig the ride - it is comfortable without being isolated. The NAV is teriffic.... What else can I say?

Yup, the ride was my favorite part of my TSX when I owned it. It was just perfectly dialed in for a balance of ride comfort and sporty handling. Very BMW-like is what I thought of it.
    Very BMW-like indeed. If it were RWD it would give BMW a run for its money. When test driving over the summer, I thought the TSX transmitted better road feel than a MINI Cooper S.

Thanks for your input guys! I really enjoyed reading all of your opinions! Thanks again!! :D
    edited March 2010
    . . .underneath the leather, Satellite Linked Navigation System, sport tuned suspension, bluetooth, voice recognition technology... lies a Honda.

Very well put; in fact, that's much of why I bought my TSX -- otherwise, I would have bought an Audi A3. I'm especially glad I got the last of the TSXs without the beak & electric steering, and who knows what else. Overall, I'm a pretty happy camper. What I really wanted was RWD, manual trans, real tires and a small diesel. Oh well. . .

Some say that Acura interiors utilize too much plastic. Others don't care/notice; I'm in the latter group.
    It is a shnoz - LOL

we owned a volvo that had RWD, Manual Transmission, real tires and with diesel. That was back in the 80's. I remember back then when most cars had RWD and then everyone started to want FWD. I personally love my 06 tsx-do not care whether it is luxury or not., To me it is a very comfortable riding problem free car. I bought it new 11/06. It just passed the 100,000 mile mark and still has the original brakes.
    It's been pretty well established that you're in possession of one of the seven best cars ever produced on the planet -- hope I end up so happy w/ my car in a couple of years.

Comparing an '80's Volvo diesel to the MGB, 240-Z & two Miatas I've owned and driven over 400K combined miles, to say nothing of the Lincoln LS I drove 128K miles (all RWD w/ manuals) misses the point I was trying to make. Today's diesels, available in Europe, but not here, are nothing like those we dealt with 30 years ago.

What I was trying to say was that if I could have purchased a BMW 3 w/ a 2.0 or 2.5 litre diesel, or the A3 2.0 TDI, all of which are available in Europe with manual transmissions, real tires & dipsticks, I would have done it in a heartbeat. None were available in North America or are likely to be, ever, thanks to the CARB.

Part of why I bought my TSX was to have a same-make trade when the TSX diesel was brought to the U.S. Well, that never happened (also thanks to CARB), and here I am -- not bad, just not what I was hoping for.
    must've taken a wrong turn and ended up in a Honda sales presentation training session!

Recently bought an '09 TSX Tech. Nice car, good value. Still would take a Bimmer 1 or 3 series over it, all else being equal. The sales experience was not a "luxury" experience though. And I'm on good terms with this dealer, being a repeat customer, so it wasn't like they didn't try their best. But, hey, they can only work with the resources that they have been given. It is what it is.

But I don't see why people need to justify whether or not Acura is a luxury brand. To me, it's not. But it's ok. It's for people who want Honda reliability and quality but with a little more pizzazz. It's a good product, luxury or not. Again, it is what it is.
    "Part of why I bought my TSX was to have a same-make trade when the TSX diesel was brought to the U.S."

Huh? Sorry, I don't quite follow the logic. You bought for the purpose of setting up for the next trade? And is same-make that important in a trade?
    Dynamically, the TSX doesn't hold a candle to a 328i. I love BMWs and am a BMWCCA member. Besides being expensive (a 328iA optioned up like my TSX has an MSRP of over $45,575), the 3 series is a tiny car (about the same overall length as a Civic).

For a single person or a married couple with no children, I'd take a 328i in a heartbeat (Sport Package, Sunroof, Heated Seats, 6 speed stick - that's it).

Like I said the other day, I know you're paying for BMW's RWD chassis (as opposed to an Accord platform), brakes, handling...

As a family car, the TSX holds its own against its famed competitor from Munich. Huge trunk, very comfortable & usable back seat, lots of techno-stuff, and fantastic gas mileage to go along with its wonderful driving experience.

edited March 2010
    You stated what you really wanted was a rwd, manual, with diesel. How did you come up with me comparing my 80 diesel volvo with the cars you previously owned (none with diesel). I know you can get many more cars in Europe with manual transmission and diesel.
    Owning a honda product does not necessarily mean it will have no problems. I owned a 05 Honda civic ex-se and own a 05 Hyundai Elantra GT, both bought new, with MT. The civic had one annoying problem after another. Sold it. Still have the hyundai with 90,000+problem free miles. We, in fact, owned a 88 hyundai excel, that had 250,000+problem free miles when it was totaled by a red-light runner.
  • greenicegreenice Member Posts: 41
    I just looked a the specs of the upcoming TSX wagon: only the I4 with the
    automatic transmission - no stick, no V6.

I lost all interest, no stick, no sale for me. I am not sure Acura (and other makers)
    fully realize that for some of us the transmission is REALLY not negotiable. If there is no stick shift, we will go elsewhere. For now, there is always BMW (as much as I hate the image coming with being a BMW driver).
    I saw pictures of that thing today in blue and all I can say is why Acura, why?? This is not how you should be distinguishing yourself and I know you want to but this is not the way to do.

That TSX wagon is a one ugly son of $%^$%!!
    I agree-all 3 of the vehicles my husband and I currently own have manual transmission
    Acura won't sell a manual wagon in the US because they know that in North America, there are only 14 people that want one.
  • billpaulbillpaul Member Posts: 103
    Well, I guess I am one of the 14.

So, I have moved on to an Infiniti G37 6MT sedan with Nav. Have been driving Honda Accords since 1982, but it's time to move on to other brands.
    edited March 2010
    . . .for some of us the transmission is REALLY not negotiable.

Absolutely -- you and I think exactly alike on this.

. . .there is always BMW (as much as I hate the image coming with being a BMW driver).

I used to be with you on this as well, but since BMW went to solid rubber tires (RFTs--they may be heavy & expensive, but at least they mess up the ride & aren't available anywhere but large cities, or on the weekend or in the middle of the night), along with the anti-do-it-yourself concept (no dipstick, for starters) and unwillingness to bring the smaller diesels to North America, I've lost interest in them.

Audi still makes quite a few cars with real tires and manual transmissions.

Hope you can find something you like. The pickins are getting slimmer and slimmer for me.
    A few responses to your wagon dilemma:

I'm sure the TSX line as a whole doesn't sell that many manual transmissions, so Honda figures to play it safe and only offer the wagon with a slushbox & 4 banger (everyone's into good fuel economy numbers these days).

I'm a die hard manual transmission guy (My '01 Prelude Type SH 5 speed has almost 120K miles), but the TSX has THE BEST slushbox I've ever driven. It is ultra-responsive, downshifts when you ask it to & doesn't upshift unless you want it to (holds gear at the redline in sport or manual mode).

Don't knock the 4 cyl until you try it. It is light & has pretty decent midrange power. I'm continually impressed with its passing power & fuel economy.

There's nothing wrong with being a BMW driver. They build wonderful cars (We lease an '07 X3). My only problem with BMW is the dimunitive size of the 3 series. You want a BMW wagon with a stick, its going to be a 3 series. You're going to have to special order one. The passenger room & cargo space in a 3 series isn't exactly big.

Good luck!

Many people that want manual transmission settle on automatic because it is hard to get it in the MT. We were one of them-never again
    edited April 2010
    Bingo! I don't know why people moan and belly-ache about this. Why should Acura spend the money and effort to cater to such a minuscule number of potential customers? It's the same reason why they don't offer pink as a color choice for the 52 Avon salesladies and 21 baby-boomer Elvis fans who might consider an Acura.
    Not so fast math wiz...

Those 21 baby-boomer Elvis fans also happen to all be Avon salesladies. So the total remains 52, not 73 as you would have us believe.
    The european version of the tsx wagon is offered with manual transmission. Therefore it could be offered here without additonal expense to Acura.
This discussion has been closed.