Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

What Will You Do When Your Favorite Brand Dies?

Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
With the auto industry restructuring, it is most likely some brands will be going away for good. What if it's your current vehicle? Share your concerns here.
Tagged:

Comments

• fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    You mean my Studebaker is going away?
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,386
    I'll do the same thing I did when Triumph and Fiat left town. Buy something else.

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

Well, there is that...

Short of GM going under altogether (not that far fetched) I'm seeing brands that might go away but the underlying car still being around - kind of like when Oldsmobile died. I mean other than sheet metal not much unique will go if Pontiac goes.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    ...I only have one choice left and that'll be Cadillac. If Cadillac goes, I'll be out of the new car market forever. It'll be nothing but old Caddies and Buicks from then on.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    No Lincolns in your future, lemko?! ;-)

I STILL say GM should have your testimonial up on billboards...

But if Buick ever went, you might find you quite liked the Lexus ES.

I don't expect Toyota or Honda to go under or leave the U.S. market, but I wonder what will happen to Subaru, c/o Fuji Heavy. Will they make it? If they become a wholly owned subsidiary of Toyota in the next 10 years, I see their brand eventually being diluted and messed up by Toyota management, much the same way GM messed up every foreign brand it touched. OTOH, if they make it through the next 5 years and out of the recession intact, they will probably be able to remain independent.

Meanwhile, I am hoping that some of the more interesting European brands (starting with Fiat) really do find their way back into the U.S. market. As much as Honda pretty much has a car for my every need, I sure would like at least one opportunity to have something with a bit more personality.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

Nothing Lincoln makes short of the obsolete Town Car interests me. At least somebody finally saw the light and made a V-8 an option on the MKS. Still, the rear deck looks stubby and disproportionate. The MKZ could've been nice, but they cheaped-out at every turn. You can clearly see where they did by comparing the prototype MKZ to the production car.

If I were to go to Lexus, it would be the LS. The ES is nothing more than a glorified Camry. Heck, the Toyota Avalon seems like a nicer car.

If you look at the Subaru forum, it looks like they're doing fine despite the economy.

The Acura RL has an awesome interior, but the exterior is awful along with no available V-8.
    If I were to go to Lexus, it would be the LS. The ES is nothing more than a glorified Camry

But how much is a Lacrosse a "glorified Impala"? I would say the ES is at least as much glorified from the regular Camry V-6. However, I wonder if the ES would be big enough for you, and I suspect it wouldn't be.

The Acura RL, OTOH, is pretty cramped inside. And the TL is now dog-ugly, so Acura is clearly out for you. Perhaps a Mercedes E-class? A Volvo S80? But then, Volvo's future is on shaky ground too....

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

No Volvos. The only guy I knew who had a Volvo was my ex-girlfriend's ultra-obnoxious father. He tainted the image of Volvo for me forever.

I guess I could see myself in an E-Class, though the S-Class is more my size of car. I would still immensely fear the maintenance and repair costs.
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,672
    nowadays, whenever a brand goes on the chopping block, it seems like it writhes in agony for years, so that when it does finally get put out of its misery, you're almost glad it's not suffering any more.

For instance, how long did it take them to finally pull the plug on Oldsmobile? I think the announcement was made in 2000, just before the redesigned Aurora came out. Yet they were still building Oldsmobiles through 2004.

And Plymouth had been standing on death's doorstep for decades, but finally got the courage to ring the bell in 1999, and in 2001, was welcomed in. Once upon a time, Plymouth was Mopar's volume seller, competing with Ford and Chevrolet. However, it started getting starved of products in the 1970's. Dodge outsold Plymouth in 1979 and 1980. In fact, in 1979, I think even Chrysler outsold Plymouth! Plymouth bounced back for 1981-82, but from 1983 onward, Dodge was the dominant division.

In the old days though, things moved much more quickly. Edsel went from birth to death in about 2.25 model years. DeSoto had some of its best years and highest market share in 1955-1957, yet by 1959 it was well-known that it was slated for the chopping block. In 1960 it saw a drastically reduced lineup, and the 1961 production wrapped up on November 18, 1960.

In the past, Pontiac was always my favorite GM brand, but other than the G8, they haven't made anything that's really turned me on in a long, long time now. I like Chrysler and Dodge, but in recent years the only products I've really liked from them were the Charger/300, and the Ram. I gotta admit though, if a bunch of money suddenly fell into my lap, I'd be tempted to go out and buy a 2009 Ram! :shades:

I'll miss those brands if they go away, but I'll find something else to buy. Heck, if forced to choose a new car today, I'd probably be more likely to get a Nissan Altima than I would a GM or Mopar product.
  • gussguss Member Posts: 1,167
    mind buying used cars(sorry pre-owned), there will be some really great deals in a few years. In 2003 I bought a used 2001 Old's Aurora for 40% of the original price. The best part was GM set it up so that you could take it to any GM dealer for service. Chevrolet had a dealer much closer to me than Oldsmobile , so that worked out for the better.

I'll have my eye out for used Sky's in a few years or a Saab 9-2x if you can find one.
    mind buying used cars(sorry pre-owned), there will be some really great deals in a few years. In 2003 I bought a used 2001 Old's Aurora for 40% of the original price.

I've been thinking about going used my next time around. I bought my Intrepid brand-new, and while I've liked the car, sometimes when I think about the depreciation it makes my stomach turn! It stickered for around $21K. I forget how much I actually paid now...I want to say around $19,500, but all I remember is the out the door price, which with tax, tags, title, an extended warranty that I probably paid too much for, et al, came out to $22,389. I never bothered to look at used Intrepids before buying (the Intrepid itself was sort of a spur-of-the-moment purchase), but not too long after noticed a 1-year old one at Car Max, with about 10,000 miles on it, for $15K. And then started seeing 1-2 year old ones with under 20,000 miles for more like $11-12K.

Was that 2001 Aurora a good car? I always liked those. Did you get the V-6 or V-8?
    One could argue that Plymouth had been dying since 1960 in favor of Dodge.
  • gussguss Member Posts: 1,167
    I had the 3.5l V-6, it was a pretty good engine and had enough power for me. I always averaged 24 mpg in mixed driving. i thought it was a very comfortable car to drive and the interior was huge. In some ways the interior of my Malibu remind me of the Aurora.

The downside was all the ribbing I would take for it being an old man's car , I was only 39at the time!
    One could argue that Plymouth had been dying since 1960 in favor of Dodge.

Actually, if it wasn't for the Valiant, Dodge would have outsold Plymouth in 1960! As a whole, the Dart lineup- Seneca/Pioneer/Phoenix, outsold the equivalent Plymouth Savoy/Belevedere/Fury/Sport Fury line. Dodge did have the bigger cars that Plymouth didn't, the Matador/Polara. But Dodge wouldn't get a version of the Valiant until 1961, as the Lancer, and it wasn't nearly as popular as the Valiant.
    Technically, the Valiant was its own separate marque in 1960. The ads would proclaim the Valiant as "Nobody's Kid Brother!" The Valiant became a Plymouth in 1961.
  • euphoniumeuphonium Member Posts: 3,425
    "made a V-8 an option on the MKS"

When did that happen and which engine is the V8 option? Perhaps the one that was in the LS?
    I hear it's a 4.4 litre V-8 - the same one that's used in the Volvo crossover, whatever it's called.
  • bhill2bhill2 Member Posts: 2,471
    I am looking forward to them keeping me in Corvettes until I'm done with my second childhood (maybe when I'm 100 but I'm not committing.) I can't afford anything else with similar performance.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

• boaz47boaz47 Member Posts: 2,747
    like another. I won't shed a tear or jump for joy for the cars themselves. I would for the lost jobs but a car is a car much like a drill is a drill. I don't think much will happen to Toyota either. Honda is a rather small target and should be spared any real damage. I agree with Nippon that Suzuki and Subaru will be living on the edge but the Japanese government will more than likely step in to help them out. Nissan on the other hand is in a different position. They are being controlled by the French and the French own their financial arm so they are at the mercy of someone they have no control over. Still the Japanese Government will not allow 51 percent ownership of one of their national companies, or they didn't used to, so the government could step in to save them as well. But once again it wouldn't bother me one bit to see them go or even to see Subaru and Suzuki go. It is just rubber, steel, plastic, glass and wire.

Someone will always step in to take their place and after a few years we will forget them. They are just car companies they are not people that we need to treat like they are a living thing. It is no different than when we lost so many electronic companies, someone always steps in to make us forget what used to be.
    An AWD MKS, V8 would be attractive to me if I didn't have to buy the "Limited" option costing over $5,000.
    I think Porsche is an exception to your comments, and while I will never be able to afford a new one in my lifetime, I would miss them if they went belly up. I'm not too worried about it happening though. ;-)

As for Subaru, I would miss them too, and there I do have some real concern for the company's viability without a tie-up or buy-up, but OTOH they are a lot less distinctive than the likes of Porsche. Honda and Mitsubishi pretty much have all of Sube's territory covered between them.

'I think Porsche is an exception to your comments, and while I will never be able to afford a new one in my lifetime, I would miss them if they went belly up."

but why? It is just a car nothing more. Do we miss Dussenberg or Cord? Do we miss D-Jags or any other number of classic vehicles? It is just a tool made up of pieces of material. They would be replaced by something else or the will survive but it won't matter because they too will change and those that loved the old Speedster will have to wonder what ever happened to the old 911.

I believe Porsche /VW will survive and some of the others will as well but in reality what does it matter if Subaru is gone? We survived Studebaker, Nash, Hudson and several others and no one lost much sleep over them. Even Mini Cooper is just a name the car is gone. The new one is nothing like the origional. It might look a little like one but that is it.

There are cars I miss but it is much like any other tool when a new and improved one replaces the old one you soon forget the old one.

To give you a classic example I remember having a 1966 VW bug. I thought it was a great car and it was so easy to maintain and drive. Got reasonable fuel mileage and was about as simple to own as any vehicle I have ever owned. Around 1994 to 1996 I got a chance to to pick up a clean 71 VW bug. I got a new rebuilt engine and transmission and replaced the carb and exhaust with a Bug spray and stinger. I sold the car a year later because I got tired of working on it all the time. It was then that I remember I used to work on my old 66 all the time as well.

Do I miss air cooled VW bugs? Nope. Would I get another one if I had to pick between a Hyundai today and it? Nope. And you know I don't like Hyundai.

But Porsche isn't my favorite brand so it isn't part of the question for me. But what I would do if one of my favorite brands died wouldn't be to buy a Porsche. Unless they were the only choice left. Otherwise if a new private company comes along, or even Porsche, and offers me something that doesn't use gas or oil I won't miss any of the old cars. Not even when I get old enough to be assigned a walker to drive. :blush:
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    You mean my Studebaker is going away?

Amen to that brother. I owned 3 Studebaker cars and a PU. They all got better mileage than anything else in Detroit. I always figured they were run out of business because the others could not compete. Quite frankly NOTHING built today is really worth get excited about. If GM, Toyota, Ford, Honda and Chrysler all went belly up, I would not lose a wink of sleep. I doubt I will ever buy any of them again.
    Funny thing - the late Studebakers had a reputation as rust buckets but to me what the heck from that period wasn't a rust bucket?
    "Amen to that brother. I owned 3 Studebaker cars and a PU. They all got better mileage than anything else in Detroit. I always figured they were run out of business because the others could not compete."

They made the hawk and the Super Hawk and they were anything but rust buckets. But most of all they had one of the best sports coupe ever.

http://photovalet.com/data/comps/VCC/VCCV06P07_10.jpg

It was so good they continued making long after the company shut down. Still life went on and no one lost much sleep over it. If Honda dropped off the face of the earth buyers would just buy Toyotas. If they don't make any more Mazdas people will simply buy Hondas or whatever is being sold. I am no different than 99 percent of the people in the US. I will buy what I can buy and I will not worry all that much about what I can't buy. Take a name tag off of one car and put it on another and if I like the car I don't care who made it. Unlike some people I was not fooled for a second when Toyota came out with the Scion. It was a Toyota just like Buick was GM. I would burst peoples bubble every time I would see one and they would say, oh it is a new brand from Japan. I would point out it was a Toyota and some might disagree and say it was only serviced by Toyota. We would walk over to the window and I would point out the Toyota name on the back window glass.

Honda tried to pull the new car on us with Acura but it was only Acura here for so many years it was a joke. It was a Honda with a different name plate.

A bit long winded but it was to simply point out that a car is just a car and it doesn't matter who puts their name on it.
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    probably just be sad, and then move on to another brand. Or, pick up a used Saab at the liquidation sale.
    Like they say, make lemon aid out of lemons.
    I didn't have to even open the link to know there was an Avanti there. What a great design. I'm amazed even today that given their product that Studebaker didn't survive longer.
  • cbrowdercbrowder Member Posts: 9
    I've always bought GM vehicles. I personally will probably not defect to foreign cars or even Dodge or Ford and It depends on what brand WITHIN GM we're talking about. I personally will not miss Saturn, Hummer, or Saab and Cadillacs are out of my price range so it wouldnt affect me. If Chevrolet, Pontiac, Buick or GM all together went under, I would probably take myself out of the new car market for a long time and become best friends with AutoZone, Pep Boys, Mr Goodwrench,Year One, and anyone who could help me keep my "ancient and discontinued GM" car in near perfect shape so I can show it off years later at shows ( a mint condition Pontiac Fiero or a Buick Reatta will turn a head or two today) I would also, if income permitted, start collecting and refurbishing GM cars...I'm sure there would be a market for it if they no longer existed
    That's pretty much the way I feel.

As for those refurbished GM cars, you'd definately would have a market with me!
    "I didn't have to even open the link to know there was an Avanti there."

I have only lusted after two cars in my life. The D-Jag was one but never realistic. But the Avanti was always one of those cars I wanted to drop the hammer on. I even thought about getting one of the later models with the corvette running gear. It was one of the cleanest sports coupes ever. IMHO
  • bobgwtwbobgwtw Member Posts: 187
    A 53 Studebaker coupe would still look better than most of the cars on the road today. As for performance: anybody ever driven or had a ride in a "Studillac"?
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    No but I stuffed a big Packard V8 with auto into a 1953 Studebaker Champion coupe. It was very fast. Could never keep it running cool. That radiator was just too small. Studebaker is far more missed than anything today would be. Cars today are like saying I would really miss that refrigerator when it goes. Most times after 3 years people are chompin at the bit for a different ride.

• bobgwtwbobgwtw Member Posts: 187
    Great picture! Thanks for sharing it. Mine was a 53 champion coupe. Gray w/ a red top. Sure wish I had it today.
    We will miss out favorite brand. It is just that it is Studebaker.
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    So you would take a major hit if GM went under? See I see myself the complete opposite. I really can't see myself going into a GM car. But, probably because my family has never really had much interest in them. Myself, really don't see any car in the line up, other than the new Malibu, that really strikes me with value and class. But, its all what we are used to. Its what we are comfortable with.

I too would be sad, because it affects so many jobs if a company went under. All the family's out there that get hurt. I don't wish that, even for GM. They have so much potential to raise that value bar. This is all my opinion, so nothing personal. The new camaro is amazing!!

That would be neat though to refurbish a few models. The older GM cars are actually better made, and worth more than the new models.
  • ehaaseehaase Member Posts: 328
    The MKS is not getting a V8. It is getting a twin turbo, direct injected 3.5L V6 with 350 hp, to be shared with the Taurus SHO, Flex, and Lincoln MKT.
    You are the most UNsentimental car enthusiast I have ever met!

I am also intrigued, however, that so many here miss Studebaker so much. Me, I wasn't alive when there were Studebakers being made in the world.

I agree with the general feeling here that the mass manufacturers are all about the same, and none are worth missing. It's a shame we have so few niche carmakers still operating out there. That was part of the reason for my Porsche comment and my mention of Subaru. They are two distinctive, niche automakers still selling new cars in the 21st century. There aren't many, and once Toyota swallows up the remainder of Subaru there will be one less....

Yes I know. I have been accused of linier thinking most of my life. But I only have sentiment for living things. I Philosophy class I once took had a professor that equated affection towards an inadmate object as a sign of superstition. That has stuck with me all these years. I have no brand loyalty in general even if I do tend to bundle things together made by one company. If I get a HP computer I tend to get a HP printer and a HP digital camera. Doesn't mean anything works any better together just fits my sense of order.

Subaru is only distinctive because of it's engine not because it is so different you wouldn't think it came from an asian drawing board. Once Porche decided to build a SUV they lost a edge in the being different game as well. They have no more Panache than BMW and so are simply another car. even thought the position of their engine is different. But get inside a VW SUV or a Porsche SUV with all of the badges removed and one is pretty much like the other.

So if they all went and were replaced by cars made by Gruman, TRW, Matel but were designed to be cost effective and would get us off of foreign oil in the fewest years who would miss the old cars? The old companies never came to my house for dinner of attended Church where I do or invited me over for a Bar-B-Que so what would I care if they were replaced? I would only worry about the lost jobs. The the big six I am nothing more than a number, always have been always will be. To me they are nothing more than a company that thinks of me as a number. No reason to morn their passing.
    I think there is a lot of reason for people who were around at the time to remember Studebaker fondly. They had really nice designs in that time where I got to see new ones. There was a Studebaker dealer that we'd pass every time going up to grandparents house (after Packard got dropped) so that's a nice memory as well.

Historically they were interesting because they were the one manufacturer who successfully went from building carriages to be drawn by horses to building horseless ones. They were doing some very nice things up to the end, the nicest being that Avanti. They just didn't have enough cash to keep going.
    They were interesting.
  • larsblarsb Member Posts: 8,204
    What Will I Do When My Favorite Brand Dies?

Buy my second-favorite brand.
  • grbeckgrbeck Member Posts: 2,358
    Studebakers were rust buckets, even by the standards of that time (at least until the 1957 Mopars debuted, as they were even worse than the Studebakers). The construction of the front fender guaranteed that debris and dirt would be trapped where the fender was joined to the body. This area also collected water. In the rust belt, it was not uncommon for Studebakers to develop serious rust within one year.

The 1953 models also had a flexible frame that was designed to absorb shocks before they reached the passenger compartment. Only problem was that it made the hardtops feel and sound "junky." The frames were so flexible that, with the hardtops and coupes, when the engine was mounted on the frame, it caused so much flex that the body wouldn't mate properly with the front clip! This delayed production of the Starlight and Starliner coupes. The panel fit wasn't all that great, either.

They were beautiful cars that needed a company with more resources to develop them properly.

Another car that needed more development dollars was the AMC Pacer. It needed a front-wheel-drive layout, and the use of advanced computers to design the body for greater strength and less weight. But AMC couldn't afford those things, so what you got was a futuristic body with outdated underpinnings butchered to fit the unusual proportions.
    The original Pacer concept was to have a Wankel engine sourced from GM. GM abandoned Wankel engine development and AMC had to make do with one of its plodding, antiquated inline sixes.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,293
    how about keeping that car from your favorite brand going by repairing it?
    that's the environmentally responsible thing to do. ;)
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • ronvprronvpr Member Posts: 24
    Here are a list of manufactures that won't be missed if they left right now and why;
    Kia Don't make anything that Hyundia doesn't. Badly styled abortions that cater to the Jerry Springer wanna be a guest, and illegal alien set.
    Subaru. They ruined the WRX by making it a ugly hatchback. Not that the old one was good looking. Rest of their lineup is a bunch of yawners.
    Mistubishi. I am surprised they are still here. What do they even make except that Evo for the ricer crowd? Never see any of them on the road and dealerships are closing all over the place. R.I.P.
    Suzuki. Stick to the motorcycles. You ain't making it in the car business here with those warmed over 10 year old designed Hyundias and unreliable badged Nissan trucks.
    Acura. Whomever designed the new "face" for Acura should have his job eliminated right now. Just wamed over Hondas anyway. Same historic transmission problems as my wifes Odyssey.
    Infinity. Uglify an already ugly car and you have a Infinty. Everytime I see an FX, I want to throw up. I'm waiting for the clowns to get out of it when I see it stopped at a light. While I'm at Nissan, new Maixima, the Rouge, Murano, Armada, and the Titan must of been designed by a Japanese blind school retard. None of these would be missed one bit.
    Lexus could dump the RX and EX. I mean we had the AMC Pacer. Why bring it back as a RX? EX? Isn't that a Camry? Why pay more for uglier bodywork and free coffee at the dealership?
    Saab and Volvo? Merge them and keep the big Vovlo wagon and sell it through Saturns excellent dealer network. Saturn can keep the Sky and Aura. Saab? Don't know enough about them to keep or dump product.
    Honda can dump all of it's trucks. Ridgeline, Element, and Pilot are just plain stupid looking and useless. You want a truck? Buy a REAL truck. Those jokes Honda are selling are worthless junk after any hard use.
    Pontiac can get rid of its trucks and SUV's. Let Chevy do the truck thing.
    So Kia, Suzuki, Mitsubishi, Saab, Subaru, Acura, and Infiniti can go without being missed, eh?

What truck does Pontiac sell? Doesn't it just have the Torrent, a rebadged Equinox?

Not sure how the Lexus RX crossover is a reinvented AMC Pacer, can't grasp the connection there. I bet Lexus won't be dropping the RX and ES, as they are its two highest-selling models.

Me, I would miss Subaru, but not Mitsu or Suzuki. Kia actually has some interesting, Asian-funky models either out or about to be released, including the Soul. Let's allow them a little more time to express themselves... ;-)

Don't marry either of them and when their usefullness has expired, move on.

Brands appeal to the underconfident."
  • ronvprronvpr Member Posts: 24
    Pontiac does sell the Torent. It shouldn't though. With same dealerships selling excellent GMC products, why the overlap? As for getting rid of Kia, Subaru, Mitsubishi, Saab, Suzuki, Acura and Infinity? Yes. I would not miss them at all. You can get the same vehicles without the gold badging, latte' instead of coffee at the dealership ( Acura, Infinity) , arrogant plaid suit sales person, crappy dealer service (the rest) at your basic retard monkey operated Toyota/Honda/Nissan.dealership. As the owner of a Honda Odyssey and a Camry. I can attest to the last statement wholeheartedly.
    If you can't see the resemblence of the RX and the AMC Pacer, you should take another look at that Lexus Bathtub. And I still wouldn't waste any money on anything from Korea. I don't care how much they are wooing Edmunds.com with trips to resorts and dinners for favorable write ups. I ve heard from too many people horror stories about shoddy workmanship and over promising sales reps.
    I stand by my original post.
  • fho2008fho2008 Member Posts: 393
    Some need to, but seriously.....who is going away? With bailout money, and politics, are any really heading to the chopping block?
This discussion has been closed.