Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

ESP* (Electronic Stability Program)

john_boy_15john_boy_15 Member Posts: 1
edited July 2014 in Suzuki
I am looking into buying a 2009 SX4 AWD (AT). I was looking for some of the bells and whistles (i.e. AWD, power locks, etc) and thought the mid-level SX4 suited me fine. I have noticed the higher end model comes with ESP (electronic stability program). I haven't had much experience with this as this is only my second car but is this worth the extra expense (I live in Canada and it does get quite snowy at times).
Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    While you're waiting for a reply here you may want to have a look at Stability Control, are you ready for it?.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • Options
    oldguyinmicholdguyinmich Member Posts: 2
    if you get the crappy bridgestone turanza 400 el's (tires) on it in canada, you'll need it!
    in some situations you'll what to turn it off. theres a switch on the consule.
  • Options
    a_ca_c Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2010
    I have a 2008 AWD w/manual trans. and ESC (standard equipment). We don't have as much snow here in eastern Iowa as in many regions of Canada but it is still a feature of our winters. I have often found myself accelerating on snow covered roads (using AWD) and nothing in the car behavior indicates how slick the roads actually are (accelerating normally, tracking straight, no audible wheel spin or steering wheel kickback) except for the blinking of the ESC light. Nor have I yet encountered any situation that made me want to switch the ESC off.

One should be on alert for the ESC light blinking at you as the system's performance is so good that it is pretty easy overdrive the limits of your brakes (and every other car on the road) and that blinking is a good indication to back off and make sure your brain is engaged.

In our clime (we rarely get more than 6" of snow at a shot) the Turenzas seem to work fine.

AC
  • Options
    alicat666alicat666 Member Posts: 3
    edited March 2010
    I went to one of the dealers in Toronto today to get a price quote, and the sales manager told me they don't stock JX AWD with ESP, as it is not really necessary for AWD. He said if you're driving a FWD, you will need it to make sudden sharp turns. But it's not that useful if you're on AWD, ESP doesn't help much according to the sales manager. I'm not sure if it is true or not, hope someone else can help. BTW, the SX4 in Toronto is loaded with Yokohama tires, thanks.
This discussion has been closed.