Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Best Lines You've Read in Car Classifieds

Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
I like to collect interesting, absurd, startling, imaginative, ironic or beautifully understated comments that I find while surfing the automotive classifieds. Craigslist is a gold mine but other abound.

Do you have any favorites?

RULES OF THIS GAME

Please DON'T post phone numbers or e-mail addresses!

Just identify the comment and if you wish, the type of car.

If you have to edit a little for clarity, that's okay.

I'll start in the next message!

Shiftright
Visiting Host

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    this from an add on a 1999 Mazda Miata:

"The only bad thing I can think of is that it is a salvage title due to the previous owner hitting a truck"

"nice project .... this is the vary rare hardtop gt6 (mark3) model that originally came with a very small 6 cylinder...its good to restore or put a nice little mazda rotary in here , or even a nice 4 cylinder> it will cost almost nothing to register, it is smog exempt also. Missing engine and transmission"

COMMENT: Well I guess if the engine is missing, you ARE smog exempt!

"Owned the car since 2000, Has a missfire, has been sitting since 04 Non-OP just not interested in the car anymore. Have other toys now... This car needs work to be a daily, so unless you have knowledge of these cars or money i would pass this one up"
  • euphoniumeuphonium Member Posts: 3,425
    1950 Chev 2 Door Sedan *437* actual miles.

In dry storage for 59 years. 100%Original Survivor! $59,950.

Could it be worth more if it has the 235 Blue Flame Six? With Powerglide?
    I'm glad he said "$59,950". It certainly isn't worth $60,000 but $59,950...well, i'd consider that.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    There is an air horn in addition to the original.

The ad: '73 VW Bug for $3,500. Why would a Bug need an air horn? :shades:
    " WOW! Look at this! My 2008 Smart car for the same price as my neighbor's 2006 MINI Cooper S!!"

Comment: Sir, perhaps you should not have mentioned that....
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,250
    when parked years ago.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,559
    I have for sale this REALLY used 1997 Dodge. It's in great shape for a car with 170,000 miles on it. Just needs a new windshield and a head gasket. $2000. This car won't last long!

I BET IT WON'T LAST LONG, TOO. :lemon:

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,092
    I've noticed sellers of MB W220, recent Maserati coupes, etc, soemtimes like to forget to mention the year of their car - in hopes that someone will think it is an 06 instead of an 02 or something, I guess. Very lame.

Not putting mileage in an ad is also lame.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    "Ready to go - just needs engine!". Now really, what IS a car without an engine, but a very expensive, overly large planter? Indeed, the one thing it most crucially is NOT is "ready to go".

There are WORLDS of disappointment to be found on Craigslist, especially if one seeks a used Honda SI (or pretty much ANY pre-2000 Civic, CRX, or Prelude) or Integra......

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• bhill2bhill2 Member Posts: 2,466
    Another thing that many ads forget to mention is the asking price. This just screams "I want to cast the line and see if some sucker will offer me more than even I think it's worth". I won't even answer one of those ads.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

I'm selling my 1987 Toyota celica GT For 300 it has a good strong 5 speed engine. The only problem is, I cant get it to start, I think it is the fuel pump or something not sure. All i know is if you know a little about cars you will probably have it up and going in about 30 minutes to an hour.

I guess the engine's not too strong if it won't even start, eh?! ;-)
    And really, how does he know we will have it up and running in 30 minutes if he knows nothing about cars (as he himself professes)??!!

It gets better:
    I also have the original tittle, but hasn't been registered since 2006.

This one sounds like a real piece of work. But then what do I expect for $300??

;-)

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

I am going to fall out of my chair from laughter pretty soon!

Toyota Celica GT 1988

Engine ran good until the rabbits ate some of the ignition harness.
    Needs a transmission.
    Please make me an offer and GIT THIS CAR OUTTA HERE!

Needless to say, no price listed!! :-P

1986 MAZDA RX-7 $501

Small gas fire in engine makes it hard to justify parts. Great car if you have an engine. For more information, please call.....

I think I have all the information I need, thanks just the same! :D

what people will continue to use as their daily driver....

1987 RX-7 1300 o.b.o.

- around 203k miles. Used as daily driver.

- Has an oil leak that gets into the exhaust, so if it sits long enough will cause a oil smoke cloud

- Gas gauge only reads if tank is more than 3/4 full.

- Wind sheald wipers will not work on fast setting and will sometimes get stuck on the slowest setting, but the middle setting works fine.

But this one is a real catch, because it has
    New rake & pinion (not really sure how it broke in the first place).

I usually get my replacement rakes cheap at Yardbirds. But I always go to the dealer for my pinions. :-)

• fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    I can't believe nothing's turning up in ads.... well, I hit one along the way here.... 98 Saab.

WITH CHARCOAL HEATED LEATHER INTERIOR

Wow. I knew Saabs were different but still...
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
    That's what the sunroof is for, silly...like in a tepee.
This discussion has been closed.