Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Rebuilding My Kia Sportage Engine

rkeelingrkeeling Member Posts: 4
edited September 2014 in Kia
Hello,
I am rebuilding a 2000 Kia Sportage engine. I know,,,hooray. At any rate, I had taken the block in to be boiled and the head to be resurfaced, valve seals, etc. any way when I picked up my stuff when it was done, they had to remove a bolt or two to be cleaned properly and put them neatly in a plastic bag, but also there was a very small hard rubber bushing in with it. I have know idea where it goes and the machine shop dont know either..So is this machine shop taking me snipe hunting or does this little bushing actually goes some where, Its about a 1/4" wide and about the same as high. I do have a pic of it, but,,how to post

Comments

• tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Follow the help link at the bottom of this page for instructions on how to post pictures.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • rkeelingrkeeling Member Posts: 4
    Okay tidester, I was able to upload it on my carspace if that helps,
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Yes,,you are a saint,,,now we might be able to find out what this item is if some one happens to see it,, again thanks a million
  • lmp4lmp4 Member Posts: 188
    I asked pals on other forums...their replies:

screams suspension. doubt its a bump stop then again i wouldnt know i never had them to begin with. i dont know of anything on the engine that would be like that. where did you find it and can u guess where abouts it fell off the kia?

give size next to a machinist rule and differnet views.
    if it is small enough could it be a head valve oil seal ?

My comment: take another photo with a ruler beside.
  • rickj3rickj3 Member Posts: 1
    My son and I changed the timing belt on my '06 sportage and apparently damaged one or more of the valves in the process. Engine now shudders when idling and check engine light is on. Also, engine smoke in engine compartment. Any suggestions?
    hello,
    Here is a web link that gave me lots of help with the timing, Im not familiar with an 06 but you make get some results here,,www.kiatechinfo.com , and http://www.headsonly.com if you need a new cylinder head..Very cheap and they pay the frieght.
  • bottle_groundbottle_ground Member Posts: 1
    Hi! I have a '97 Kia Sportage. My problem is, the fuel consumption is very high. My friends suggested that I change the engine with a surplus diesel engine. Do you think it's a good idea? Changing engine is a common practice in my country, and I am not really sure if that will solve the problem. Has anybody done it before? Any suggestion how to optimize fuel consumption on my original KIA engine, besides those that we usually do like checking tire pressure, etc. Tnx.
  • kat6310kat6310 Member Posts: 2
    Hi i was told i had blown my head gasket and cracked the head. the head apparently is too bad to fix. Now i am able to get another engine that has a 3mth warantee on it and 104ks on it. What do i need to look out for or ask about this new motor before i buy it? I had had problems with over heating so i replaced the thermostat but that didnt make a difference. Then thats when my gasket blew...milky oil and water spitting up from radiator. I need my car back for work . its been off the road now for 5 weeks and i am hiring a car so i need to get this fixed asap. So can anyone tell me what i need to ask this bloke about the engine he is going to sell me $1500 (Aud). I also am going to buy a new clutch fan. Originally my car would strat to over heat on small trips so i thought the thermostat was going...hence i replaced it. Then i was told the clutch fan needed to be replace..but before i could do that the gasket blew. In start stop situations it would overheat badly. Even stopping at say 3 stops ...al short trips it would boil so badly i could poach an agg. But the water/coolant would still be in the radiator full. Once cooled it was ok again. But as i said i now have a cracked head. So ur advice on what to ask about before i buy this new engine would be so appreciated. I am a single mum who works her butt off and need to watch my dollars and cant afford to be ripped off.
This discussion has been closed.