Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

What used diesel truck to buy

dmiletichdmiletich Member Posts: 1
edited July 2014 in Ford
I have never owned a diesel truck but want to buy a used 3/4 ton pickup. I will be using it for general use and about 20% of the time tow a trailer and tractor that weighs a total of about 11,000 pounds. I was favoring a Ford diesel but it seems as if the 7.3 and 6.0 engines have had a lot of problems. I am looking for something from 2002-2006. I am not opposed to GMC/Chevrolet, and now after reading about all the Ford problems, I am probably leaning toward GMC. MPG is also important and would like to know which is better
on fuel. Looking to buy right away so any information would be appreciated.

Comments

• scooter802scooter802 Member Posts: 1
    Hey guys- new to this forum so have mercy. I have been looking at purchasing a used diesel for awhile now. Need some advice. Mostly I need it for towing my box trailer with tools, and my flatbed with my tractor (Kubota 32 hp). I don't need to drive it daily to the jobsite, have a small little corolla (38mpg!!!) for that. I just need it to be strong, RELIABLE, and diesel. Alot of guys I know have many good things to say about Dodges (recent ones). GM scares me with the way they are headed, and I don't know much about Fords. Thanks!
  • jimlockeyjimlockey Member Posts: 265
    Ford's 7.3 diesel has been a great truck. I have a 2000 7.3 truck I've used to pull a 5th wheel all over the country and have had zero problems. I understand the 6.0 have not faired ot well.
  • richardsmokerrichardsmoker Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I would like to ask for your opinion: I'm insterested in buying a used timber truck, manufactured in 2001. The guy wants to sell it for $ 30.744 Do you think it's a fair price? Any experiences with used Scanias? Are they reliable? That's the ad anyway, if you would like to take a closer look: used timber trucks
This discussion has been closed.