Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo XC60 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• avery1avery1 Member Posts: 373
    Thanks.
    They say there is no negotiation. Volvo just pays the dealer a fee. The price ends up being a little more than the cost through a program like Costco. But one does get a trip to Sweden out of the deal.
  • iamsonyiamsony Member Posts: 12
    edited February 2011
    Just got an email that the car is in Port in Baltimore and will take about 1 week to clear customs and arrive at the local dealer. Maybe sooner. The expected date was early March So it's about 3 weeks ahead of schedule. Can't wait to get it.

Just curious what color paint did everyone out there get?
    I got black stone and black interior. Though White exterior with tan interior looks nice. However we have dogs and that would get dirty
  • shulmands131shulmands131 Member Posts: 10
    when did you put in your order? (I wonder if my car is on the same boat!?)
  • I had a terrible time making a decision...certainly didnt want black here in Phoenix and unfortunalety the manufactuers in my humble opinion has boring colors across the board. Because of this, it also delayed me in making a purchase decision which benefited me as I received the new Sensus system, a blessing because the color for the vechicle was undecided. So, longer story short, I purchased the white and tan leather...great looking combo and a stay cool temp car for the miserable summers in Phoenix. I dressed it up with the side scuff plates and mud flaps...really did the job!

I bet your stone and black is sharp, nice combination. I am sure you will enjoy your XC60....by the way, I have been driving my T6 for 2-weeks daily and I am getting city 20.5mpg.....didnt change my driving habits, so cant complain as my BMW 530i was getting avg 21.5mpg and I suspect the Volvo will as well as the engine continues to get broken in...

Congrats on your purchase and Port arrival... :)
  • juxtajuxta Member Posts: 44
    That's good news. Are you in the DC area also? I haven't spoken with my dealership since I placed my order on 12/17. No clue where mine is but the salesman said mid-february so I'll call them on 2/15. Mine is Saville gray with black interior.

I've tried to wait patiently but that's been impossible. I've been looking at XC60 vids daily on YouTube (even the crappy dealership ads), I've read the entire owners manual and navigation manual (S60) on the Volvo website, and I was looking at the front cover of the XC60 brochure so much I had to turn it face-down. This is as close to opening presents on Christmas Day as it gets for an adult... haha.
    What has been the experience at "closing"? What types of dealer add-ons (warranties, etc.) do they push to up the sales price before you hand over the check?

My wife just got a Q5 two weeks ago and we spent another $3800 on an extended warranty, Cilajet, and accessories.
    haha! wow! that sounds EXACTLY like me! I have read every teeny article there is to read about this car, and exhausted the search for anything with the new Sensus system... read the owner's manual and brochure a few times...

I called the dealership (here in New Orleans) a minute ago, got my VIN number, and now I can track the ship! It is supposed to arrive at Brunswick, GA on Valentines day, then a few more days before it gets here!

If you have your VIN you can track the ship by putting in the number in the "Cargo ID" space on this website

link title
  • rkurlanderrkurlander Member Posts: 58
    edited February 2011
    My 3.2, saville gray/black interior, premium, multimedia, convenience, pcc, AWD is also at the Baltimore port. It was off-loaded from the ship last Saturday. Dealer here in Charlotte says delivery will be around the 21st. I'm assuming he is being conservative - so hopefully it will be a few days before that date. Can't wait!
    At the last minute a close by dealer came in and undercut the dealer I had been working with by about $800 on price and gave me an interest rate that was .7% better. I didn't even solicit this other quote since I didn't think OSD was negotiable. They got my name from the Costco program that I had explored for US delivery. Ended up saving me about $1500. I felt bad for the salesman I had been working with and I gave him an opportunity to match it or at least come my way some but he held fast and refused to negotiate.
  • scmkidsscmkids Member Posts: 2
    Thanks a lot for the tip to track our new vehicle on the ship. I orderd my 3.2 AWD on Dec 18 but since I live in the west coast I have to wait longer. Mine will be arriving at Port Hueneme, CA by Feb 23rd. The long wait also keep me going back to XC60 videos and any materials that I can read about it. This forum made me feel that I am not alone - which is great. Please post your experiences when you get your XC60.
    I'm in the D.C. area. actually gaithersburg. The dealer is in Silver Spring.

Ordered it 12/20/10 and hopefully deliver is early next week
  • mtr2008mtr2008 Member Posts: 2
    2011 XC60 AWD
    Convenience Pkg
    Climate Pkg
    Premium Pkg
    BLIS
    Electric Silver exterior
    Personal Car Communicator

40,700 +TTL

The dealer needs to do a dealer trade from another state to get it...thoughts?
    Got a call yesterday night that it's avialable for pickup. It was in Baltimore port last Friday and took about 3 business day to pass inspection. I will be picking it up on Saturday morning or maybe tonight. Will send photos next week.
  • That is awesome...I know you are excited! I honestly enjoy my XC60 every day...
    I'm happy for you :)
  • 4mercoachrick4mercoachrick Member Posts: 133
    It's been quite a while since I purchased anything from the F&I 'room' in the back. Took out tire/wheel insurance on the C70 in '08...hasn't paid off so far :( . They didn't push anything when I picked up the XC60 and at the time, Volvo wouldn't touch the 3.99% interest I found elsewhere(now 2.99). I do wonder why folks are going for an extended warranty when the standard is so good. We will 'time out' on our C70 warranty well before we hit the mileage limit...I would only 'extend' the warranty IF it included roadside assist in the package(and if it came from Volvo direct). Even then, we've had virtually NO warranty-type issues with the C70 in 3 1/2 years...didn't have any with our '04 V70. I could see 'something' going wrong with the XC60 down the road, just because it has so much 'stuff'. Just the opposite of our C70, we will 'mileage out' the standard warranty on the XC60 in about 36 months :cry: at our current rate. Wonder what it will be worth in trade at that time(spring '12).
    Thanks for the reply.

The tire/wheel insurance seemed like a good idea but after I got back home and read the fine print, I canceled it (3 weeks ago for my wife's new Audi Q5). It excluded accidents and collisions and only covered damage from road debris and potholes, cracks, etc.

So to justify the cost, she'd have to hit a pothole so large that it would actually damage a wheel without her getting into a subsequent crash (in which case all damage would be covered by regular auto insurance). Or, she'd have to run over a nail four times. Damage from hitting curbs and cosmetic blemishes are excluded.

For the extended warranty I agree, I'm most concerned with all the new electronic systems. Imagine the cost/labor to replace something simple like the power tailgate motor. On the Audi, a 7yr/70,000 mile extended warranty made sense for us and I plan to get something similar for the XC60. We both work from home and only put about 6000 mi/year on each car so we will probably time-out the warranties like you did. We plan to keep the cars at least 6-7 years so we wanted to get some long term protection on the electronics.
    edited February 2011
    The standard 3 year/36,000 warranty is extended to 5 years/60,000 miles for any XC60 purchased in 2010 or 2011. The "safe and secure" warranty/maintenance plan is free and covers everything - except tires.
    Don't you mean standard 4 years/48or50K miles? As such, reducing the value of an extended warranty even more?
    This gets a little confusing: The standard warranty is 4 years/50,000 miles. Within that warranty is the standard 3 years/36,000 miles no-cost maintenance. Above the standard plans - all Volvos sold in 2010 and 2011 are covered by the "Safe and Secure" plan that extends the warranty and no-cost maintenance (except tires) to 5 years/60,000 miles.
    Understood. I do find it interesting that Volvo(and others) pitch the 'factory maintenance' program as 36,000 miles, when there is no scheduled visit between 30k and 37.5k miles, basically rendering the plan as 3 years/30,000miles of free maintenance(barring an incident of some sort). The Safe and Secure plan certainly adds value for wear and tear items and roadside assist for the incremental period. I wonder if anyone has calculated a dollar value for Safe and Secure?

Too bad we 'pounced' on the first shipment of XC60s(March '09), paid full sticker and didn't qualify for Safe and Secure. Oh, well.(At least we got an emergency kit out of the deal :D ) .

Next is finding a good deal on tires for the'08 C70. That's going to be a 'hit' later this year.
    Just signed the papers on an awd for overseas delivery. I was going to pick and choose the options since you can do that with overseas delivery but the dealer ended up cutting the price a little and encouraged me to go ahead and get the packages.
    AWD
    Red
    Premium, Technology, Climate, Multimedia, Convenience packages
    Blis
    PCC
    2 tickets to Europe and insurance for 1 month of driving around
    And of course the 5 years of service
    $43,330 w/o taxes and license
    I found the same car for a little less here but didn't include two tickets to Europe
    Just called today and mine is about a week from port. Ugh, right on schedule... I ordered a few days before you iamsony so I got my hopes up. *pout*

Well, that's a good thing too because now I have a few weekends to clean out the garage so the XC60 can fit.
    My car gets unloaded at Brunswick, GA TODAY! woo hoo!
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! haha. congrats.
    Ordered 12/11 - picking up tomorrow.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,720
    ..doesn't anyone buy off the lot, any more?

Do dealers have many units in stock?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

ROFL I wish I could have! My dealer had only 5 on the lot and the salesman found nothing in neighboring states and even looked at some dealerships in TX and CA. No one had a vehicle with the options I wanted.

The sales manager said vehicles are usually ordered with only one or two option packages because those are in demand. They worry about losing money if a customer doesn't want to pay for an undesired option package on a vehicle on the lot.

It's almost silly for individual dealers to have vehicles on the lot though. We buyers have already researched the cars and know what we want. There should be a big parking lot somewhere in the US from which dealerships pull new vehicles. I'd sure give up my Costco card to have my XC60 seven weeks ago.
    Interesting...we ordered an 'unseen' unit back in March '09. I'm told it was the 11th XC60 sold in central Texas. FULL price except for 'maybe' a $500 bump in our trade-in value :cry: . All this talk of revolutionizing the way folks buy cars...doesn't need to happen as long as my DW can walk into a dealership and want her new car TODAY!(Salesmen love her...I try to lock her in the house when it's auto buying time!).

The new GM/Director/Head Honchess of the FIAT dealership here in Austin was on TV this morning, telling us how her FIAT store was going to "change the way WOMEN buy cars"(I guess they would sell to a guy, I don't know).

Pretty sure we've heard all this before; although, I must admit that the chance of my walking into a dealership and asking for a salesman isn't likely to happen next time I purchase. I only did it on the XC60(two years ago) because I was pretty sure the first wave wouldn't be sold through Costco or similar programs. Our immediately prior Volvo purchase went through our 'old' salesman since the dealer had already marked the unit down $13K(last '07 XC70 on the lot).
  • luvxc60luvxc60 Member Posts: 6
    ordered my xc60 t6 in sept, picked up in mid-Nov, arrived on 12/23.
    $40,467 includes climate, convenience, blis, xoen , metallic.

Because it was winter time, on top of the complimentory package, I added an extra $1,300 for 2 people to the warm Rome. The cost covered airport transportation with a private driver and Mercedes, 3 nights very fine hotel and inter-Europe flight to Gothenburg. All aranged by the Volvo travel agency. Every extra buck was worthy.

After the assembly factory tour, I drove my new XC to a nearby fishing island Ockero. It was a very beautiful village, I wished I would given up the time spent on the factory tour for it.

I also received a coupon form Volvo. I can be reimmburced 20% off the spending on volvo accessories from Volvo store.

Love the car, enjoyed the trip and the hospitality. Hope you enjoy your OSD too.
    Thanks for the report. Did you have to buy special winter tires? I hear they have a law requiring winter tires on cars driven there during the winter. We just finished planning our trip and it has us driving almost 4,000 miles in 33 days down to Barcelona, over to Venice and up. I'm a little nervous about leaving the new car parked in some of these towns but I imagine the Europeans do it all the time.
    Is the $40,467 out the door price or the price before taxes, title and processing fee?
    It didn't include tax and registration. Dealer waived the processing fee. OSD price is about 8% off MRSP, apprx $300 over the dealer offer at that time. But if you want the trip, it is a big discount.
    I learnd the law but on one mentioned this in delievery center. About 4 hours going south from Gothenburg you will be in Copenhagen where is about 10 F warmer tham Gothenburg.

Enjoy your trip.
    Did you get a Volvo discount of $1000 (If you own a volvo)

We wanted to do overseas but there was a 1832 different between buying it vs OSD.

Getting locally was 40,500 plus $500 costco card so really 40,000
    The overseas was

Tourist XC60 T6 AWD $36480
    Climate $1000
    Convience $1200
    PCC $550
    Total $39230
    Taxes (6%): $2353.8
    Title and Registration: $300
    Grand Total for OSD is $41,883.8

So a difference of $1,883.80

If Overseas accepted the $1000 volvo discount it would have cut it down to $883 which have made the choice harder for me.
    I didn't own a volvo. Costco discount wasn't available at the time I ordered the car. So OSD was really a good deal to me. I dont think you can use $1,000 credit as volvo owner but you should check with the dealer.
  • newswedefannewswedefan Member Posts: 1
    I guess I just got lucky when I found my XC60.. It had just been traded out from another dealership and arrived the same day I called about their inventory.

2011 3.2 FWD
    Premium, Convenience, Climate, Multimedia, BLIS, PCC, Front/Rear skid plates, Side Scuff plates
    $39,675

I've owned BMW and Infiniti vehicles before this,...Let me tell you.. I LOVE this VOLVO. LOVE LOVE LOVE
  • zhuz1008zhuz1008 Member Posts: 1
    Hi guys,
    How was the final buying experience? Would you mind sharing? My local Volvo dealer insists invoice price... I am wondering if it is worth 2 hours trip to LA...
    Mine finally came! So far, so good. I'm still testing everything out and getting used my new toy. Wooo!

Just to sum up my buying experience. The dealer offered me $300 over invoice on the spot but he mentioned the Costco discount so I renewed my Costco membership to get $500 under invoice. But this discount is countered by a $500 advertising fee which is supposed to be common for all dealerships in the DC area (my dealership is in Alexandria, VA). So with the Costco discount I paid right at invoice.

I ordered my XC60 on Dec 17th and it was ready for me to pick up on Feb 24th. The wait sucked.

Total invoice was $45,995:
    (nadaguides.com has an accurate listing of invoice prices)

2011 XC60 T6- $36,096
    Saville Grey / Black interior- 517
    Multimedia Pkg- 2538
    Technology Pkg- 1974
    Convenience Pkg- 1128
    Climate Pkg- 940
    BLIS- 658
    PCC- 517
    Xenon- 752

At F&I I was offered but declined: Lojack ~$1000 (do you need this when the vehicle has an ignition immobilizer?), 7-year paint sealant and interior treatment ~$690 (didn't believe it would work - I'll just wax and clean as necessary), tire & rim warranty ~$750 (likely damage would be from an accident and covered by my auto insurance), 4-year dent protection ~$700 (I'll just get dents/dings repaired as needed by a paintless dent repair guy), and maybe one other thing.

I did buy a 10-year, 105K warranty for $3350 to cover the electronics and help the resale of this vehicle (I'll probably sell at year 7 so I can hopefully get a full-electric mid-size SUV).

So my total vehicle cost was:
    Invoice- $45,995
    Titling tax- 96
    Dealer Business Lic. tax- 78.84
    Sales tax (MD)- 2072.19
    License fee- 180
    Dealer Processing fee- 379

= $49,601.03 + $3350 (warranty) = $52,951.03. (Doh!)

The front blind view camera is not included in the Multimedia package, so I'm waiting for a price for the dealer to install that. Has anyone had this installed yet? I don't know why Volvo doesn't make that an option for the US. It's an option for UK buyers.
    After an 8 week waiting period from the time I ordered my XC60 to the time it arrived here in New Orleans, the final process was very simple.

The dealer and I had already agreed to a final price when I ordered the car. I got:
    2011 XC60 3.2 FWD with Sensus (Ordered after Nov 2010)
    Black Stone/Sandstone Beige
    Multimedia Package
    Premium Package
    MSRP: $38,475
    Invoice: $36,219
    My Price after Volvo Owner Loyalty Cash: $35,969

My Final agreed-to price was $35,969. That includes $1000 of Volvo Owner Loyalty cash. When I placed the order, I had to put down $2000.

So when the car came in, the amount owed was $33,969 less $8000 for my S40 trade-in plus TTL.

The whole paperwork process at the dealership took about 30 minutes or so. Super-fast and very easy to do.
  • amcdadamcdad Member Posts: 61
    Car Man- Do you know if there are any incentives on the XC60 for March? I thought the 2.9% financing for 60 months and the $1000 loyalty bonus were still in effect, but not sure if something else has come along. Thanks!
    Could any 2011 xc60-T6 owner tell me what is the background color in the instructional pannel?

I realize when I tested drive, I saw a blue background, the color just like the blue volvo logo. I know the Redesign shows blue but not sure if the T6 should also be blue. My car only shows bright white over dark.

Thanks
    edited March 2011
    Mine is white lettering over a black background. It would have been nice to have a blue background in the T6 but oh well.

Volvo is putting too many of the nice touches only in the R-design. I didn't order the R-design though because of the tires and the suspension (and there's a bit too much chrome). I really wanted the smoother ride of the regular T6 so it was a trade-off for me.
  • relativejunkrelativejunk Member Posts: 8
    well i'm in the northeast and can't find the car i'm looking for at all. so i may need to order it.
    anyone have any inside info on upcoming promos? i missed out on the costco deal and i don't have any loyalty. lol. so i don't know if i should bite the bullet and order one this weekend or wait for the next promo.
    fyi, looking for a basic 3.2l/moonroof in all black.
    The Japan situation has impacted all manufacturers, including Volvo. Don't count on any incentives due to the supply crunch.
  • relativejunkrelativejunk Member Posts: 8
    good point.
  • jssnowjssnow Member Posts: 1
    I ordered an awd xc60 on march 3 and have been informed the car will be available at the end of May- a full 12 weeks after the order was placed! The sales manager said the wait times have become so long b/c many xc60s are being diverted to China. He said they only had 3 units delivered to them last month. Has anyone else had this problem or heard of this issue?
    Thank you
    Sales Manager is right about increased length of time, but wrong about reason. Japanese companies manufacture 10% of the Volvo's parts. The earthquake/tsunami/meltdown has disrupted the supply chain.
    Howdy y'all! I have a 2010 XC60, so I've followed this thread for some time. My question is about the C70(VERY little action on the C70 threads!). Do we know when the 2012 model year intro will be for the C70? Our 2010 XC60 came out in March '09 ; but the current offerings of C70 are 2011. Any thoughts on the time frame for the new 2012 designation? The XC60 seems to have 'jumbled' the model year 'assignments'.
    Host and mods, please pardon the interruption; but there really was no appropriate thread in the C70 forum AND it's the XC60 that has 'set the bar' for model year confusion. :)
    It seems people are already reserving 2012s for overseas delivery.
    http://www.facebook.com/VolvoOverseasDelivery?v=wall&viewas=0

Maybe in another month they'll have the 2012s on the website because Volvo just did a press release about some new 2012 upgrades.
    http://www.volvocars.com/intl/top/about/news-events/pages/default.aspx?itemid=26- 7