Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Hyundai Sonata

Comments

• pegasus17pegasus17 Member Posts: 536
    Nice. I appreciate the time/effort you and Trevor (pcgeek) are putting into this forum.
    I noticed you have almost 3200 miles on your SE. Any "new car" problems to share? Also, what was the orange light on your dash? Was it the TCS-OFF light?
  • pcgeek86pcgeek86 Member Posts: 72
    Yes that's the TCS-OFF light.

The "new car problems" I have are:

** iPod static (more like "distortion")
    ** Transmission shift from 1st to 3rd (see http://bit.ly/cqgWlk)
    ** Transmission lurches from 1st to 2nd under medium-hard acceleration

Glad you like the videos. I have some in-car stuff coming, since my Panavise 809 mount just arrived today (as noted earlier). :) The video is going to take another 5 hours or so to process, and then I have to cut it up a little bit, because it's over the 10-minute Youtube limit, but I'll get it posted eventually. It's 1080p, so it should look pretty sharp :)

Cheers,
    Trevor
  • syitalian25syitalian25 Member Posts: 303
    edited March 2010
    yeah I have had the car exactly 25 days and put almost 3000 miles on it :( I drive all day, every day. Plus I took a few trips which were pretty far. As Trevor said, the light is the TCS-OFF indicator. So far everything has been running well, and I think I am getting better gas mileage as time goes on it seems like, especially on the highway. Today I tried a 30 mile stretch of interstate on cruise doing about 65 and got 33.1 mpg.. not bad at all.

As someone said before, it would be nice to scroll through iPod songs one letter at a time rather than song by song which takes forever with 4500 songs. I also would like if the HVAC allowed air to come from the windshield vent and into the top part of the cabin at the same time, as it only lets air come from the feet/vent or the vent alone (in addition to settings where the vent is off). Umm other than that I can't think of anything, it has been running great. The transmission is especially smooth, I'm really glad they redid it for the new model.
    Trevor,

Thanks for all your high-quality videos. I had a question about the iPod static - have you had a chance to try this on any other car models? Maybe it is an issue with the low bitrate of those particular songs, can you look in iTunes and see if the distorted songs are the lower bitrate ones? Because on headphones or PC speakers it might sound great but the car stereo might amplify the low quality.

As far as the manual shifter bringing the car from 1st, briefly to second, then to third in manual mode I think you might be right. I think it's done to help prevent transmission damage and constant red-lining, since the manual mode wasn't developed to improve 0-60 times. I haven't noticed it when doing high-rev shifts in other gears though, like when passing on a highway - those seem to hold nicely.

I still have not felt any lurching like you described, maybe this is an issue that can be corrected by the dealer?
    1) I've not tried it on any other models, just another 2011 Sonata in the showroom floor. The music files themselves are very high quality, and sound perfectly fine in the vehicle via MP3 data CD or a USB memory stick. They also sound fine when played on high-quality, in-ear headphones directly from the iPod.

2) Lurching - I haven't bothered to report this to the dealer, because it's not 100% reproducable, and I'm guessing they'll just sluff it off as another "only Trevor is having this problem" situation.

Thanks for the input though, and for posting that 0-60 video. I liked it!

Cheers,
    Trevor
  • texasnightowltexasnightowl Member Posts: 31
    So, I swung by the local dealer and they had a couple (or 3) on the lot so got in for a drive. Limited version. Now, keep in mind I'm driving a 10 yr old car and I have never looked at a Hyundai before. That said....this car is impressive. Especially considering the equipment as compared to price. The slushbox didn't bother me too much...I've never owned an auto before, always a stick. I felt the car was responsive to throttle...especially as compared to a 4cyl Fusion I test drove a while back. The Sonata was quick and had plenty of space IMO. This is essentially one of my finalists in my shopping. Right now I'm deciding between a VW Jetta TDI, the Sonata, and in contrast, a VW Tiguan. I would have looked at a Tucson, but the dealer had no 2010's on the lot. The Sonata engine was louder on acceleration than the TDI engine (also drove today) but wasn't bad IMO. The Jetta TDI ride was a bit better IMO also but the Sonata was not particularly objectionable.

Anyway, that's my inexpert take on it. Really impressive offering.
  • busterbritbusterbrit Member Posts: 27
    I'm looking at either getting the Sonata 2011 limited (no nav.) or the Altima 2010 2.5 SL.

I really like the Sonata but I'm a little nervous getting a new model so soon.

Any thoughts would be very helpful.

This is literally keeping me up at night and I have to decide in the next day or two.

Thanks!
  • shabadoo25shabadoo25 Member Posts: 232
    I had the same concerns, but then I thought of 2 things:

1. Hyundai's industry leading warranty.
    2. The fact that my wife and I have both been Hyundai drivers since 2007 collectively and have had exactly 0 repair concerns.
  • ramkatramkat Member Posts: 23
    Looking at the MT survey it appears as if the MT readers don't agree with MT's final ranking - Sonata is 2nd with more than double the number of votes compared to the Camry
    No surprise there. People prefer non-boring cars that don't decide to hit 90 mph on their own.
    The warranty definitely put my mind at ease too.. when I realized that some cars only come with a 36,000 mile powertrain warranty, I was appauled. Things can go wrong with any car, but the Hyundais have always seemed to hold up well.

If it makes you feel better, I had a 2004 Sonata V6 with 151,000 miles on it, the only thing that went wrong was a sensor ($100) and the AC compressor went right at the end ($575). The car still ran well except for no air conditioning at the end which I didn't want to shell out to fix given how many miles I do. Not bad considering the transmission repairs and other things that occur with some cars that get that old.
  • andyfromvaandyfromva Member Posts: 79
    edited March 2010
    I'm looking at either getting the Sonata 2011 limited (no nav.) or the Altima 2010 2.5 SL.

I really like the Sonata but I'm a little nervous getting a new model so soon.

Any thoughts would be very helpful.

This is literally keeping me up at night and I have to decide in the next day or two.

Thanks!

I was in your same position a couple of weeks ago when I was looking at both cars. Here are my thoughts on the two cars.

Exterior - Sonata - sporty, European. Altima - Conservative but classy. However the bulging rear tail lamps are an accident waiting to happen.
    Interior - Sonata - high tech, classy. Altima - Nice but nothing special. Orange digital readouts look out of date.
    Seating comfort - Sonata - outstanding comfort in front seat and back but back seat headroom a bit low. Altima - good comfort in front seat but shoulder room a bit cramped. Back seat cramped.
    Engine performance - Sonata - smooth, powerful engine, excellent 6 speed auto transmission. Altima - engine has good power but noisy. CVT transmission seemed weird to me.
    Ride - Sonata - soft and quiet but good handling. Altima - soft and quiet (except for engine noise) with good handling.
    Trunk - Sonata - huge trunk. Altima - trunk OK but smaller than Sonata.
    Cost - Sonata with the features I wanted about $2000 less than Altima.

To me the Sonata was, by far, the better car (and the better buy).
  • craigmricraigmri Member Posts: 243
    Who else is waiting for the Turbo to be released?

We have a Veracruz and Azera and one of them will be traded on the turbo when its available. Wonder how to mileage will suffer?

Craig
  • bobadbobad Member Posts: 1,587
    Mileage is said not to suffer much at all.
  • lancep97lancep97 Member Posts: 36
    I too am waiting on news of the turbo. I'm hoping Hyundai will add additional features with the turbo model.. Anyone know if they've done anything like this with past models? such as adding HID headlights, LED taillamps, pano roof, etc...
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    when I realized that some cars only come with a 36,000 mile powertrain warranty,

Haven't seen many of these lately. Which manufacturer is that?
    You do realize that adding things like that would drive up the sticker price, right? There are going to be some things that will just not be offered at the price points the Sonata is operating in. I don't remember Hyundai adding an engine choice in the middle of a model year before so nothing to go on there. However, they have added little things midyear like audio controls to the steering wheel, possibly other small items like that but they didn't appear to be linked to anything else.

But, Hyundai has broken some new ground with this new Sonata so anything is possible. Personally, I'd like to see them add some elements of the SE suspension to the Limited w/ the turbo. They could do that with little extra cost I think.
  • lancep97lancep97 Member Posts: 36
    I understand that it would increase the price, but I believe the turbo itself will add several thousand. I'm just hoping.. since all of these features are already included on the Korean version of the car.

I noticed the new Kia Optima has an LED strip under the headlights on the new version... hopefully Hyundai will follow suit.

Here's to hoping.
  • midas69midas69 Member Posts: 118
    I've owned 2 first year model cars. The first was an '89 Sonata. The second was a '98 Olds Intrigue. The Intrigue had a leaking rack and pinion unit after I had it about 3 weeks. GM had no replacement parts available for the car and told me it would be 6 weeks before they had one. My dealer was great and basically took another new Intrigue and took the R&P out of it and put it in my car. But GM didn't seem to care.

On the other hand my Sonata had zero problems in the 3 years I owned it. Never had to bring it in for service even once.

Obviously there's no guarantee the new Sonata isn't going to have some problems. But I was willing to take a chance on it.
  • chalirebrownchalirebrown Member Posts: 38
    I just bought the Sonata SE 2011 after owning two Altimas-a 1999 and a 2003. For the monmey, the Sonata is a much better buy and so far it is flawless-six air bags, six speed asutomatic i got the SE version with the dual exhausts and paddle shifters on the steering column-everyone that has seen this car loves it and so do I-the Altima is also a good car but the style has not changed very much and the warranty on the Hyundai outdoes anyone out there. I highly recommend it.
  • chalirebrownchalirebrown Member Posts: 38
    I just bought the Sonata 2011 SE and it is great and the warranty cannot be touched.I have owned Nissan Altimas since 1999 with the latest being a 2003 both new.Very little maintenance on them but I switched to a Hyundai because of the nice body design on the 2011 SE and the included features-heated outside mirrors, standard, six air bags, highest crash test ratings, 199 horsepower and highest mileage for a 4 cylinder non hybrid motor, etc, etc-I recommend it highly.
  • j2jj2j Member Posts: 147
    edited March 2010
    Usually, it's a good idea to wait out the 1st model year or at least wait 6 months into production of a new gen/model.

Considering that the Sonata has been available in Korea for some time, it seems to be a safer bet than if Hyundai had released the Sonata to all of its markets at the same time.
    edited March 2010
    It's true that only a few fringe manufacturers still limit the powertrain warranty to 36000 like Bentley and Lotus, but most mainsteam competitors only offer a 3yr/36000 mile warranty and 5yr/50000 mile powertrain. These include Honda, Nissan, Toyota, Volkswagen, and Ford. Even Mercedes maxes out at 5yr/50000 - which I think is crazy.

If their products break down so much less than the supposedly crap quality Hyundai's, why wouldn't they offer a better warranty? Wouldn't it end up costing them less in the end with fewer repairs necessary? Very few other manufacturers offer anything much better.

Chevy/Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep have 3/36K bumper to bumper and unlimited powertrain. Maybe this is their apology for the Cobalt, Aveo, Avenger, Sebring, and every other horrible car they have made under $25K. Even with those brands, the bumper to bumper warranty on a Hyundai or Kia is 40% longer, and you get unlimited roadside assistance for 5 years, on top of usually paying less to begin with.

http://www.cars.com/go/advice/Story.jsp?section=buy&subject=warranty&story=manWa- - - rranty
  • prigglypriggly Member Posts: 642
    Does the Infinity upgraded audio system sound much better than the Dimension system?

Thanks.
    edited March 2010
    only a few fringe manufacturers still limit the powertrain warranty to 36000 like Bentley and Lotus

Yeah, that's what I thought. I don't think too many people cross shop Bentley and Lotus versus Hyundai.

GM powertrain is 5yrs/100k and I think Chrysler stopped that lifetime powertrain warranty business cause Fiat didn't like it. I think Mitsubishi is the only other(besides Kia of course) to offer a similar warranty to Hyundai. They went to that a few years ago when they just about went out of business here in states to build some confidence.

If you remember, Hyundai began offering this warranty when the Excel totally bombed and Hyundai was the laughing stock of the automotive world in the US. I'm wondering if Hyundai will eventually scale back their warranty since confidence is building in their product and they might not need it to convince people to shop them. The bean counters don't usually like to keep those liabilities on the books and that is what a 10 yr warranty is.
  • LASHAWNLASHAWN Member Posts: 303
    I too am waiting on the Sonata Turbo. I plan on purchasing it around Oct.
    Yeah that is definitely why Hyundai started the warranty originally, but it would look pretty bad for them to retract it. And I think consumer confidence is still one of the weakest points of the company, particularly among people who haven't owned a Hyundai recently. There are old school people who will only buy American cars because they think the quality is above and beyond the Asian brands, and they can't get over the image Hyundai had in 1985 (rightfully so) as being a cheap, unreliable brand.

Other manufacturers have used the same tactic to increase confidence, and it has worked. But if 50/100 Hyundais (theortically) needed a repair in the first 100,000 miles but only 30/100 Toyotas needed the same, wouldn't that be a big cost advantage to Toyota? I think Honda, Toyota, and the like are simply stingy and have no problem charging more money for less value because "Hey it's a (insert overpriced manufacturer name here)".
    edited March 2010
    None of these companies are offering a longer warranty than the big players because their products are better. They may as good or better, but that's not why the warranties are being offered. It's because they have to generate confidence to sell cars.

God forbid if Hyundai were to have any kind of major hiccup like Toyota is having....long warranty or not. Not wishing it or thinking it will happen but you can just imagine the fallout. Look at what is happening to Toyota, the brand that was #1 in perception of quality and considered bulletproof. If something like that happened to Hyundai it would be a disaster. Toyota will probably pull through this thing though.
    Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I'm going to test drive both again tomorrow and then make my final decision. I'm definilty leaning towards the Sonata.

Thanks again!
    I'm looking at getting the silver with grey leather. I just read someone thought it looked much better with black. My only thought is that I live in So. Cal. and the black will get really hot.

Have you seen the grey leather on this car? How does it look?

Would black get a lot hotter than the grey or is that an old wives tale?

Thanks!
    edited March 2010
    I agree, Hyundai is still on shaky ground when it comes to consumers trusting their quality. Toyota has a much longer track record, and should be able to pull through their current crisis, but I think the #1 spot is gone. I think in 5 years it will be Honda, Hyundai, Toyota, Ford, in that order, with Hyundai and Toyota pretty much tied. Lots of potential Camry buyers defect to Accord (especially the new generation when it comes) or the new Sonata. Even a Corolla buyer thinking of spending 19K could get a GLS w/pep Sonata for 20K with a lot more style and features, which might be low enough to get some sales there too.
    It's hard to say which would be hotter since the car was released in winter. I don't think the difference should be significant.

I waited on a car with black leather and was about to give up for the grey when it arrived finally. I think the black looks better, but the grey looks ok, too.

Right now, there are far more silver/grey in dealer stocks than silver/blacks. You may have to hunt for or wait on the latter.
    Doesn't make that much difference. Lots of people in Phoenix have black interiors. The grey is still on the darker side too so it's not like it's real light or anything. I would base it on which one you like best and will continue to like down the road so to speak.
    edited March 2010
    Here is the first in-car clip I have posted using the Panavise 809 mount. I have an extension arm for it coming that will probably help me mount my camera more effectively. They were supposed to include it, but I called them and they're shipping me one at no charge :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F30rQz9BzZ8

And here's my review of the Panavise 809 mount:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bx70DV-3hNw

I'm gonna go shoot a night clip now.

Cheers,
    Trevor
  • ramkatramkat Member Posts: 23
    Has anyone fitted a HID kit yet?
  • jsmit86jsmit86 Member Posts: 116
    I made a deal last week to buy a Limited with Nav. My dealer usually can trade with some of the locals in the area, but since Navs are so tight, they have not been able to get the type I wanted. (Pacific Blue with Gray)
    They may have a shot at a Harbor Gray with Gray leather in the region, and they expect to get an answer tomorrow.

I actually wanted Pacific Blue with Camel Leather and Nav as my first choice, and I may be willing to wait 2-3 weeks for that combo. I understand that Hyundai does not allow actual orders, but can a dealer request to get a specific combination of color and equipment? The dealer has been good, taking my trade, and is giving a 2010 Limited to drive until they get my car, but I am wondering if I have a decent chance of getting my first choice of color. :confuse:
  • lbg2lbg2 Member Posts: 6
    Anyone have any info on when more accessories will be available for the 2011's? I'd certainly be interested in a spoiler and mud guards. The Hyundai website doesn't list either as available yet.

I'd also like to get the windows tinted, but the last job I had done at a local shop I was not so happy with. Is dealer tint necessarily any better than having it done at a local shop?
    My apologies ... it appears that I accidentally made the Sonata inside driving video private, rather than public. I changed it up so everyone should be able to view it, now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F30rQz9BzZ8

I don't know how that happened.

Cheers,
    Trevor
  • chuck1919chuck1919 Member Posts: 176
    Most dealers sub-contract this to a local tint shop. Of course, with the dealer "arranging" for the work you get the guarantee.
    Most tint manufacturers offer a warranty against peeling, bubbling, fading, etc., - at the least for 3-4 years and some have a lifetime warranty. Look up a few tint shops in your area and call around to compare the price/warranty before you get any work done, but I have used two random tint places with good warranties and have been very happy. If anything goes wrong, you just bring it back in and they fix it for free.
    No one has spotted any camel leather Limiteds yet. It could be a wait to get one of those.

My dealer in Atlanta has a Pac Blue/Grey w/nav. Those are a little more plentiful right now.
  • cmunizcmuniz Member Posts: 604
    I have been told that the leather camel interiors are now being installed in Montgomery. My dealer told me I should expect my Pearl White Limited w/Nav in a week or two. Hopefully they are right.
  • targettuningtargettuning Member Posts: 1,371
    As a matter of fact I just saw a 2011 Limited (in silver) with a trunk spoiler on my local dealers lot last night. I looked at the window sticker to check if it was an add-on but they (the dealer) didn't show an additional cost "added options" sticker associated with it which prompted me to scan the factory sticker but I didn't find any mention of a package or added spoiler, so??? It looked OK, understated and tasteful if one likes spoilers...not me so much though. I am in south central Pa.
    I'm not sure what the spoiler you saw looked like, but the trunk does have a small flare at the end that is popular these days as a spoiler. Very understated but still sporty looking, I like it.
  • shuale_ejsshuale_ejs Member Posts: 115
    edited March 2010
    Signed the paperwork for my Sonata Limited w/nav this morning (will pick up on Sat) with a really nice Dealership - Ron Marhofer (ask for Pete). Nice easy transaction, much unlike my dealings with the first dealership (with whom I am fighting through the credit card company to get my deposit back). Ron Marhofer agreed to honor the price the previous dealer was giving me, without any hassle or proof of selling price.

Stats:
    Model: 2011 Limited w/nav (doesn't look like i got one w/HD radio) - Does anyone know if it has HDD storage? Sales rep nor I could find any info on it so I'm assuming it does not have it.

Color: Harbor Gray w/black interor (really wanted Silver but combo does not seem to exist in the market right now)

MSRP: $28,300 (it came with everything)

Selling Price: 25,927 (includes $250 Ad Fee)

Fees & Tax: Paid upfront (to get airline miles ;))

Term: 36 mths/15,000 miles

Pymnt: $312/mth

I think I did very well for myself. I am very happy with my deal!

P.S. Everyone is paid a salary. Their pay is not based on commission! The entire experience was very very pleasant!
    Congratulations. I really do believe that the black is the best of the interior choices in the Limited. You will really enjoy the car, as I have been doing the last 2 weeks.

The upgraded nav stereo definitely deletes the HD radio.

BTW, is your salesman any relation to Jack Mehoffer? (a little joke)
  • roadie22roadie22 Member Posts: 6
    Actually,
    The nav unit does include HD radio, according to this review anyways. 2011 Sonata Review

"If HD Radio is important, check to see that your Sonata is a recent build. Some of the first Sonatas with navigation systems didn't get the HD Radio chipsets. (First dealer deliveries were in December 2009.)"
  • fragilemnfragilemn Member Posts: 16
    edited March 2010
    No the Limited with Nav has no hard drive storage and yes it deletes the HD radio.
    I just went to the Hyundai site and "built" a Limited and there is specifically states it deletes the HD Radio.
    It says it right on the window sticker for the nav model, too.