Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Hyundai Sonata

Comments

• 2011limited2011limited Member Posts: 30
    'I would also say it feel nearly as quick as my '99 300M that had 253HP'.....

I had a 2001 300M...... best car I ever owned. The x-wife still has it.... 300,000KM and going strong. Only repair has been a flat tire!

I loved that car.
  • akeiyakeiy Member Posts: 22
    Hi,

Currently I have a 05 camry and I am thinking whether I should buy 2011 sonata to replace it. Then I have been to the dealer to test drive the new car and I found there is no big difference for road noise between the two cars. What do you think of it? Any thought will be welcome! Thank you very much!
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Member Posts: 2,242
    With Hyundai (and GM) Push and release gives you 1-2 mph. Push and hold and it accelerates until you release, then holds the speed at which you release.

BTW, on a Hyundai with a manual transmisison, the cruise is so quick and accurate you can almost drive the car without using the accelerator.
  • ramkatramkat Member Posts: 23
    edited March 2010
    Apparently there is a risk of deposits forming on the valves of DI engines

Here is a patent that reduces that. Judging from the intro it is a common problem with DI engines
    http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/6846782.html

I am wondering if that problem has been solved with the Theta II engine?

Just to reduce the risk of deposits I will continue to use only Shell when I get my Sonata. May also be a good idea to switch to full synthetic oil during the first oil change. Any technical guy that could provide us with some guidance here?
  • 8babies1dog8babies1dog Member Posts: 122
    I'm a big 3.3L man, but go take a 2011 se out for spin, a little in town a little on the
    hi-way, see what you think. I have the 09/10 SE-v6 love it. Go check the new 11
    out for yourself, a beautiful awesome ride. the build quality is excellent. Then go
    try the rest, you will see.

Happy Hyundai owner::
  • slackermanslackerman Member Posts: 43
    To clarify, after the speed is set, adjusting with the +/- buttons seems to have little to no effect unless I hold down the button. Most cars I can feel the engine gain power or the car slow down. In the Sonata the speed does not seem to adjust significantly. Maybe because the speedometer has such poor resolution.
  • syitalian25syitalian25 Member Posts: 303
    I believe each press only adjusts it by 1 mph or so, try pressing it 6-7 times in a row and see if you notice the difference. It also takes a second to register and change the speed.
  • eblue2eblue2 Member Posts: 8
    Hey Pegasus17, whats your new Indiana dealer? I live here and nobody is giving a decent quote. The best quote I've got is from Chicago. Pls. give me a clue to your dealer.
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    That's about how all of mine work. After it's set you have to hold the button down for awhile to really get a noticable difference in speed.
  • sonata2011ltdsonata2011ltd Member Posts: 1
    Friends:
    I am thinking of buying a 2011 Sonata Limited Model (without navigation). I am wondering what will be the best price that I can bargain for this. Anyone got the car below invoice price? Welcome pricing suggestions from anyone who recently bought. Thanks.
  • mikemartinmikemartin Member Posts: 205
    edited March 2010
    http://cars.overstock.com/configurator.html?makeId=2235&modelId=443&upfrontPrici- - ng=Y

ZIP CODE 10019 (New York)

2011 GLS MANUAL
    YOUR PRICE
    $17,509
    Savings off MSRP:$2,406

2011 GLS AUTOMATIC
    YOUR PRICE
    $18,464
    Savings off MSRP:$2,451

2011 SE AUTOMATIC
    YOUR PRICE
    $20,530
    Savings off MSRP:$2,785

2011 LIMITED AUTOMATIC
    YOUR PRICE
    $22,828
    Savings off MSRP:$3,187

2011 LIMITED AUTOMATIC w/NAVIGATION PACKAGE
    YOUR PRICE
    $24,739
    Savings off MSRP:$3,376
    edited March 2010
    More info on the problem mentioned above

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/6866031.html

"The DI invention concerns an internal combustion engine, especially an Otto engine, with a fuel injector.

Gasoline engines with direct injection of the fuel into the combustion chamber, i.e., not into the intake port, suffer especially from the problem of the formation of carbon deposits on components. Carbon deposits form especially in the neck region of intake valves. A more exact analysis of how these carbon deposits form leads to the following result: Oil and fuel constituents first form a sticky coating on the components. These constituents are chiefly long-chain and branched-chain hydrocarbons, i.e., the low-volatility components of oil and fuel. Aromatic compounds adhere especially well. This sticky base coating serves as a base for the deposition of soot particles. This results in a porous surface, in which oil and fuel particles in turn become embedded. This process is a circular process, by which the coating thickness of the carbon deposits continuously increases. Especially in the area of the intake valves, the deposits originate from blowby gases and from internal and external exhaust gas recirculation, and in this process, the blowby gases and the recirculated exhaust gas come into direct contact with the intake valve.

Especially in the area of the neck of the intake valves, excessive carbon deposits have extremely negative effects for the following reasons: In the case of Otto direct injectors, the successful ignition of the stratified charge depends to a great extent on correct development of the internal cylinder flow, which ensures reliable transport of the injected fuel to the spark plug to guarantee reliable ignition at the spark plug. However, a coating of carbon deposits in the neck region of the intake valve may interfere so strongly with the tumble flow that ignition failures may occur there as a result. Under certain circumstances, however, ignition failures can lead to irreversible damage of a catalytic converter installed in the exhaust gas tract for purifying the exhaust gas. Furthermore, the coating of carbon deposits in the neck region of the intake valve causes flow resistance, which can lead to significant performance losses due to insufficient cylinder filling, especially in the upper load and speed range of the internal combustion engine. In addition, the carbon deposits in the neck region of the intake valve may prevent correct valve closing, which leads to compression losses and thus sporadic ignition failures. This in turn could irreversibly damage the catalytic converter. There is the potential for small particles to break away from the coating of carbon deposits in the neck region of the intake valve and get into the catalytic converter. These hot particles may then cause secondary reactions and corresponding local damage of the catalytic converter. For example, a hole may be burned in the structure of the catalytic converter.

Globular deposits are found especially on the valve stem downstream from a partition plate in the intake port. Due to the dripping of high-boiling hydrocarbons from the partition plate towards the valve neck or valve stem, globular carbon deposits eventually form there by the sequence of events explained above. These deposits on the valve stem can result in flow deficits due to undesired swirling and turbulent flow around the globular carbon deposits. This may persistently interfere with the formation of stable tumble flow from cycle to cycle.

A possible solution would be to keep these sources of deposits away, for example, from the intake valve, by completely eliminating exhaust gas recirculation and the introduction of blowby gases into the intake port. However, with the combustion behavior of modern reciprocating internal combustion engines, at least external exhaust gas recirculation and the introduction of blowby gases into the intake port are absolutely necessary for reasons of emission control and fuel consumption, so that this approach is not possible. "
  • raydahsraydahs Member Posts: 449
    "Yes, the outside temperature gauge is next to the clock"

Thanks for the clarification.
  • bobadbobad Member Posts: 1,587
    I assume you have an opinion on DFI. What is it?

DFI has been around a long time, mostly on higher end cars. Do you know how it's working for them?
    There is no option. If you buy a 2011 Sonata you have DI :)

Yes,. DI has been around and the above quote is a response to problems they have been experiencing. Honda apparently dropped their DI because of that. If you do a google you will find some discussions going on about this.(VW, Audi etc) Some engines are already badly build up at 40K. :surprise: To clear it means opening the engine and manually removing it with the help of some chemicals (i.e $$$) There are patents out their to reduce this - some more costly and/or effective that others. The reason why I posted this is to try and find out what Hyundai did about the deposit build up in their design.
  • lancep97lancep97 Member Posts: 36
    opinion, not option :)
  • marnick2011marnick2011 Member Posts: 6
    I have had my 2011 Sonata Limited (w/o Nav) since Feb13. Drove 150 miles to get it in the black on black that we wanted. This is our fourth Sonata. Our 2009 GLS was totaled in an accident, and were down to one vehicle for three months waiting for the 2011.This is also our first Sonata with an immediate warranty issue. The turn signal on the right side passenger mirror has significant moisture beaded inside. Has anyone else experienced this problem? We also received the recall notice on the locks, but we are not idiots (cannot imagine holding down lock while trying to open door) and prefer to leave the locks alone rather than have them tear the door apart. BTW, is it better to take the car to a local dealer for warranty work or to the dealer from which we purchased the vehicle?
    P.S. The 2011 is significantly better in handling and in many other ways as well. The only negative is over concrete interstates with expansion joints it is REALLY noisy and rough. The 2009 was much quieter.
    PP.S. I have enjoyed reading all the posts (lurking for the past two months) . Thanks for so much good info.
    My apologies lancep97 , i really need to get that eyetest done :blush:
    well good thing for that 100,000 mile powertrain warranty then, just in case :P
  • rico84rico84 Member Posts: 7
    Wait, how is he breaking forum rules?
  • shuale_ejsshuale_ejs Member Posts: 115
    Picked up my car on Saturday. I love it...still trying to adjust to the color though. I had to settle for Harbor Gray but I really, really, really wanted Silver...lol.

Didn't want to spend more time in the dealership going over features so I took the key, my manuals (all 1,000 pages) and left. Of course I have not had time to pull out the manual...I'm thinking "how hard can this be? My last car was a BMW 5 series and I had nav and bluetooth...I can operate this." Well it seems I CAN'T... :blush:

My contacts don't appear, even though it says my phone (Droid) is connected...and when you shut the car off, it disconnects the call. In the BMW your call stayed connected until you ended the call or switched it to your phone. Secondly, I searched for a bank on Saturday, but ended up not going...and I can't figure out how to cancel it from the nav. Everytime I get in the car it tells me directions to the bank...lol...so i just resorted to muting the thing. I guess I know what I'm going to be doing tonight...READING!

On a positve note, I love the sound system, interior styling (looks absolutely beautiful at night), touch screen system, smart key (absolutely best feature for me!). I love not having to fumble with keys as you can unlock and lock doors, start and end engine without having a key in your hand...LOVE IT!

I'm still adjusting to the rear view camera. Also, it could be a little easier on bumps etc, but again I came from a BMW so I just need to learn to cool out and take it easy :D So far, I am very happy with my choice, especially considering I never even noticed Hyundais before. ;)
    Only if the engine light comes on, if you loose say 10%-20% power due to the build up and the engine light is not on, I don't think they are going like to listen to you (I talking from experience with a high gas consumption complain on a Tucson) :(
  • midas69midas69 Member Posts: 118
    Don't know the exact answer for your Droid since I don't have one, but I'd look to make sure there isn't an option on the phone regarding sharing the phonebook via bluetooth.

As far as the bank, hit the route button and cancel the route.
  • shabadoo25shabadoo25 Member Posts: 232
    Enjoy the car. I had that color on my Elantra, and it was sharp.

I'm not sure just being connected to the Droid is enough. Did you go through the pairing steps already?
  • bamacarbamacar Member Posts: 749
    edited March 2010
    Wait, how is he breaking forum rules?

No soliciting!
  • meikmeik Member Posts: 63
    edited March 2010
    My contacts don't appear, even though it says my phone (Droid) is connected...and when you shut the car off, it disconnects the call.

Couple days ago, I figured out that disconnection was NOT actual disconnection. I was on the phone via bluetooth on Sonata with my wife on my way back home. I parked and turned off the engine, of course my call got disconnected. When I walked in, I saw my wife was still holding her cell phone. She said she was able to hear all (Car door open/close, Walking to the door etc) through her phone. I looked at my phone and there was no sign I was still on the line. I slided my phone up and down to disconnect completely.

It could be just my phone, but to hit end call button on your steering wheel before you turn off the engine wouldn't be a bad idea.
  • mikemartinmikemartin Member Posts: 205
    edited March 2010
    No one thinks the prices I found in post #1631 are outstanding enough to comment on?

They're all $2,400 to $3,500 under invoice.

A SE Auto for $20,530 is not outstanding? A GLS Auto for $18,464? A Limited for $22,828???
    I have a Droid as well, and it is more like a computer. It can be a little unclear whether you are even still connected to someone or not since it takes 2-3 menus to get to the call status screen. When the Sonata is turned off the bluetooth system disconnects, but the call continues on the actual phone. Your best bet would be to grab the phone out of your pocket after you park, turn the car off, and then continue your conversation. The other person probably won't even notice.
    sounds too good to be true, but if it is I'm going to be pissed that I spent $23K on my SE. Thanks for the link either way, it'd be worth looking into for new buyers.
    edited March 2010
    here is a nice picture of the engine/transmission

http://www.inautonews.com/hyundai-theta-ii-24-liter-i-4-engine-with-gasoline-dir- - - ect-- injection-goes-into-production

This one has a good description - gunk build up does not look too bad in these pics, unfortunately one cannot see the top of the valves

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/11/23/hyundais-new-2-4l-gdi-four-cylinder-hits-up-t- - - - o-200hp-in-sonata/

here is a nice animation

http://video.nate.com/211819147
    People buying and posting in here are not even supposed to use salespersons names as that is a form of soliciting whether you intend it or not.

Posting the deal and the dealership is fine though.
  • ajacobs1979ajacobs1979 Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone out there been successful finding a 2011 Sonata Limited with the Navigation package? I'm in the Los Angeles/Orange County area and every dealer seems to be as frustrated as I am. Oh...and I would like Radiant Silver on the exterior. I realize this is a BRAND new model and inventory is still small, but I'd love to know if anyone out there knows of a "lucky" dealer. Thanks!
  • midas69midas69 Member Posts: 118
    In the Chicago area I was offered the exact combo you're looking for but I ended up buying the white. Both were limited with NAV. I wouldn't say it's common though. First dealer I went to did a search of the entire region and only found the one silver one. Next day I got an email from another dealer that just got the white one in that morning.

So they are out there, unlike the SE with NAV that just started being produced, as was posted here earlier.
  • smarty666smarty666 Member Posts: 1,503
    for years, I've been complaining and complaining to Nissan to get a freakin power front passenger seat in the Altima with the SL and SR packages because for some reason, and the logic escapes me, why would I pay 26k-30k for a car that doesn't have a front passenger seat??

this same realization came to me when looking at the 2011 Sonata's yesterday! why for a 28k dollar limited, where you get REAR HEATED SEATS, do you not get a power front passenger seat for that price? the logic escapes me! if you can afford and spend the money to put a rear heated seat in a car, which I like because no one else in that segment even offers that, why can't you spend a little money and put a power front passenger seat in the car! the logic of that just escapes me!

sorry if I sound a little crazy,and I know for most this power front passenger seat wouldn't be a deal breaker, but I've had two spine surgeries and have a really sensitive low back so something like a power front passenger seat, even just a four-way one, is a big deal in my book! c-mon Hyundai, don't be like Nissan!
  • caazcaaz Member Posts: 209
    edited March 2010
    Im new to this forum, but have participated in the toyota and honda forums in the past, quite extensively. I tracked my 2003 camry for over 30k miles and always got between 32 and 40 MPG. I sold it because i drive 65k miles a year. this is where it gets interesting. I rented a 2009 Sonata, didnt think much of it. and did my normal (weekly) trip from Orange county to Phoenix 405.6 miles door to door... driving with Hybrid like road manners.. at 60 or 65 i squeaked out 40.058 mpg on 2 occasions. but at 70 more like 37mpg.....75....34mpg.....80....32mpg and once i crossed 82 id break or dipp into 29.9 to 30.mpg Im in a hurry so i dont think much. I do my trip at 82 mph in this rented 09 Sonata.. well i get there and top it off.. visibly on the lip like i did with the camry.. and got 39.82 MPG at 82, i was dumbfounded.. shocked... hondas couldnt match my camry's mpg, and i figured nothing would.. I was dead wrong... cangrats Hyundai.. you have a new admirer. My only question to all you past Sonata owners is.. can it give me 223,000 trouble free miles like my accord and camry did... if it can.. i'll be a new Sonata owner soon.. I was really impressed with almost 40mpg at that fast speed... .. thx for letting me post this in ur forum.. Caazguy
  • caazcaaz Member Posts: 209
    I'm also wondering why they dont make cooled front seats in a limited.....caazguy
  • meikmeik Member Posts: 63
    why would I pay 26k-30k for a car that doesn't have a front passenger seat??

You must not pay 26k-30k for a car that doesn't have a front passenger seat! ;) Sorry, I know what you meant but couldn't resist.

I know Camry offers it as an option and MSRP probably is less than 30k. I am not sure if Toyota is in your mind though. You might want to look for a different brand car that has a softer ride than 2011 Sonata anyway because of your low back.
    thats okay, I don't mind being made fun of as long as it doesn't get too crazy, if you been through the hell with my back that I have, you got to keep a funny sense of humor on life when God takes the simple pleasures of sitting comfortably away from you!

currently, the Accord, Camry, Malibu, and Fusion offer a power front passenger seat in their mid to top line models, only the Altima and Sonata don't; I'm hoping if I continue to write letter on a yearly basis and nag Nissan and Hyundai they will eventually put one it because Nissan and Hyundai know more about styling then Honda, Toyota, and Chevrolet do!

though, I really like the rear heated seat in the limited! it might be worth it to sacrifice the power front passenger seat in order to get rear heated seats! because I could use the heat on my back when sitting in the rear of the car!! I'll let my family sit in the passenger front seat :P
    edited March 2010
    I agree that Nissan and Hyundai should make the passenger's seat power, but it's a cost issue. Seat heaters (especially the 1-setting ones in the rear of the Sonata) only cost about $10, power seats are more like $70 each. Plus having heated rear seats is just something low-cost that the Sonata can hold over the other sedan's heads, since I don't believe any of the main competitors offer it.
  • osaka75osaka75 Member Posts: 88
    I want a coin box on the left side under the dash like on my current Sonata and my past three cars. Would only cost $5 to put in. But I trust the numbers guys know what they're doing.
    Does any non-luxury midsize sedan that does offer cooled seats? I know you can get them in the new Taurus(full-size vehicle) and some luxury cars but not in this category that I know of. I realize all these things wouldn't be that costly but they add up and push base MSRP past certain price points that manufacturers want to stay beneath to be competitive.
    well the Maxima is a oddity car, its not quite a luxury car but more than just a regular family sedan, not sure what you would call it but its dimensions classify it as a mid-size and you can get heated/cooled seats on that!
    well if heater coils costs so little then why don't other competitors offer them? that is another example where it doesn't make sense, yet they can afford to have a power front passenger seat? go figure, the logic of all this escapes me!
    trust me, your not missing anything! I have coin holders in all of my cars and they all suck! they never hold the coins or they come out and go all over!
    edited March 2010
    Yeah, I'm not really sure what category the Max is trying to be in. I had a 1996 Max and loved it. Traded it in on an Infiniti but should have kept it rather than a different car that I did keep. Didn't know it had cooled seats but it seems to be in a different category pricewise versus a Hyundai, that's why I wasn't sure.

Seems like the Max is a large car but I know it's really not. I guess it has that perception because the Altima is Nissan's midsize entry and then you have.........the Maxima. :confuse:
    I actually got one of the new Maxima's, I didn't load it up because I didn't want it to be into Infiniti territory with price but Nissan has given big incentives on the car making it sell pretty well (typically 4-6k per month since its debut, not to shabby!) I do agree though the Maxima, kind of like the Genesis is a oddity, it doesn't quite feel like a Nissan but definitely not a Infiniti either! but, I liked the exterior bodystyle better than the Altima and it has a power front passenger seat, as you heard be go on about before so it was a easy decision, plus the front seats are some of the most comfortable I've ever sat in, plus they are heated!

I don't know though, had the 2011 Sonata been out last summer when I was shopping I might have been in a entirely different car then the one I am in now!

oh well though, kudos to Hyundai for the ten times better styling on the 2011!
  • houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    Not having a power passenger seat has killed more than one deal for me. Why? Because of my wife. I drive 99% of the time when we are together and she, of course, uses the passenger seat. Any time we test drive a car that is the first thing she looks for. No power seat, no deal.

Men purchase most cars but women influence them. The car makers are missing a big selling benefit here.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• shuale_ejsshuale_ejs Member Posts: 115
    Thanks. Won't you know I actually found it on my own...I got in the car yesterday and starting pressing buttons and found it. Now, I just need to check into the phone.
  • norm8_lakesnorm8_lakes Member Posts: 41
    Does anyone know when they are coming out with the camel leather interior on the Limited?
  • lancep97lancep97 Member Posts: 36
    edited March 2010
    The reality of it all is that most Americans drive solo in their cars for daily commutes or quick trips for errands. Very few of us actually carry passengers the majority of the time. Hyundai probably figures the lower overall cost with the exclusion of a power passenger seat is a better incentive to customers than including such a feature.