Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• airkings1airkings1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone!
    I went to my local Toyota dealer today and looked at a 2002 4runner. I jotted down the package codes, so I could check the invoice prices on Edmunds. There were 3 that weren't listed though: C7, R1, GN.

Can anyone tell me what those are and where I can find the invoice prices? Thanks!
  • jynewfjynewf Member Posts: 26
    There is a technical service bulletin (TSB) that covers the gas gauge issue for 2000 4runners; just scroll back through these posts to find the specific TSB number that covers it. I just told my service guys the problem and the TSB number, and they fixed it in a day, no sweat. I assume if you are buying a used 2000 4runner, then it may have already been fixed by the previous owner.

As for the room vs. a Camry, yeah, the passenger space is less than a Camry -- after all, it's built off of the compact Tacoma pick-up truck platform so its narrower than a Camry (which makes it more maneuverable offroad). 4runner's are not a people carriers, although with 80 cubic feet of space with the seats down, its great for carrying our 115 pound Newfoundland pup! If you need lots of passenger room, you may need to look elsewhere.

Oh yeah, as far as 2000 vs. 2001, the 2000 was the last year they made the 4runner with an available locking rear differential. If you don't know what the significance is of a locking rear diff, then you should go for the 2001 with the electronic traction control (standard on 2001's).
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    Most dealer's are just about out of 2001 Runners and 2002's are being discounted pretty well now. In fact, we just got the new incentives for the month of October and the Runner comes with your choice of $1000 rebate or 0% financing for 36 months, 3.9% for 48 months or 4.9% for 60 months. This is a regional special and applies to dealers in PA, MD, VA, WV and DE.

C7 is the convenience package with roof rack, rear wind deflector, hitch and cargo mat. R1 is the color keyed running boards and GN is a cargo net.
  • aljeffersonaljefferson Member Posts: 2
    I am interested in a 2002 4runner SR5 Sport Edition. A local dealer has one for the sticker price of $33,877 with the options of:
    Discount Convenience Package
    Color-keyed running boards
    Sunroof
    Rear Heater
    Hood Protector
    Alloy wheel locks
    Has anyone recently purchased a 4runner close to this one and how much did you pay? Carsdirect has a price of $30,411. Do you think a dealer would go below this? Thanks!
  • wkckwkck Member Posts: 2
    Hi, Cliffy
    Can VSC and TRAC be added to a 2000 4Runner Limited 4x4 equiped with rear locking diffrential? If yes, is it worth?
    I do some off roading, but not serious. I'm thinking of adding these two safety features for my wife driving the vehicle.
    Thanks!
    Sorry, but no it can not be retro fitted. Well, if you throw enough money at anything, you can get it to work, but it would not be cost effective. The VSC/TRACS is an integrated part of the vehicle. If this is really important to you, you are better off trading in for a 2002.

FYI, if you live in the Central Atlantic Region, there is currently a $1000 rebate or 0% financing on the 2002 Runners.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Toyota Zeroes In on Discount Financing

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

• tlc_utahtlc_utah Member Posts: 28
    Hi,

My wife drives a 97 4Runner that we bought new. It has been an excellent vehicle all along. The only thing it lacks is the good fog lights especially when it snows in the mountains. I would like some suggestions on the good quality after market fog lights that can be installed. I do not like the toyota fog lights made by hella for 97 4Runners. Although I like the other fog lights made by Hella.

Thanks.
    Toyota RAV4 25/31/27:

List of EPA Mileage Best and Worst

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

Hi,

My wife drives a 97 4Runner that we bought new. It has been an excellent vehicle all along. The only thing it lacks is the good fog lights especially when it snows in the mountains. I would like some suggestions on the good quality after market fog lights that can be installed. I do not like the toyota fog lights made by hella for 97 4Runners. Although I like the other fog lights made by Hella.

Thanks.
  • wally27wally27 Member Posts: 6
    Just bought today a 4Runner:
    Thunder cloud with the bigger wheels, convience package, sunroof and it is awesome for the price.
    Options: C7, AG, SR, JU for $25250 thru CarsDirect.com. They made it very easy and had the best price by $500. So I guess I'll be hanging around here to find out neat 4Runner tricks.
  • aljeffersonaljefferson Member Posts: 2
    I recently purchased a 2002 4runner SR5, sport edition. Options included rear heater, hood protector, color keyed running boards, alarm system, alloy wheel locks, sunroof, and discount convenience package. I also got them to throw in a sunroof wind deflector, and a cd changer. I payed $31,089 including license and taxes, ect. How much did you pay?
  • roobeeroobee Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a 4Runner without the trailer bar. My truck has a trailer factory wiring harness down to a 4 wire female harness at the inside left rear bumper.After purchasing a aftermarket trailer bar for half the price of the dealer trailer bar. I contacted Toyota Parts to purchase the pig tail from the Toyota harness to the trailer flat wire 4 connector.Toyota makes this part but will not sell this part to me because I did not purchase their trailer kit.I am able to splice in the necessary wire myself , but would have been a cleaner job with the Toyota wire harness.This is not good Toyota service when a customer spends 30k on a vehicle and then be denied a part that is available.
  • akgakg Member Posts: 85
    It's been awhile since I logged in and I still haven't bought a new car yet. The husband is lobbying heavily for the 2002 Subaru Outback, but I haven't given in yet. I am still wondering about the 2003 redesign. My Toyota Guru Cliffy says it's gonna be a bigger rig with a probable V8. A few other web-sites mention a Toyota version of sort of a Nissan Xterra SUV, a little smaller. Anyone seen or heard? I am getting closer to a purchase, but I am still not thrilled about getting a new SUV in the last year of a 6 year run...0% or not.
  • scnamescname Member Posts: 296
    I hope they shrink it. Toyota has way too many big SUVs. They need an truck based SUV sized between Rav4 and Highlander.
  • rward99rward99 Member Posts: 185
    Last I heard it was for the 2003 model year, but maybe not until mid model year (Jan '04). V-8 and folding 3rd seat. That's all I've heard.

With the Rav4, Highlander, 4Runner,Land Cruiser, and Sequoia I'd say they pretty well got it covered.
  • wally27wally27 Member Posts: 6
    Why when the door is open, engine off, key at ACC does that annoying chime ring??? Does anybody know how to shut that off?
    Thanks in advance for my sanity.
  • jkulp42757jkulp42757 Member Posts: 83
    Hi folks,

I am in the market for a 2002 4Runner, however I have heard that a design change is due for 03, and that it may be significant.

I have heard some say (from post on this message board) that it will be bigger, and some say smaller.

Can anyone direct me to some websites that have information on this?

Also, how much faster will the 4Runner depreciate if I go with a 2002 and they redesign in 2003?

Thank you.

Josh
  • jbubisjbubis Member Posts: 5
    I would very highly reccommend the PIAA 520 series. They look great and are very well made. The only catch is that they are a little expensive (around $200 a pair - including lights, cables, switch) and requre something to mount them on like a grill guard. For your year, you could get a Westin Safari Light Bar and the fog lights installed for less than $500; a lot of money, but a great set up.
    Jbubis,

I could not find a place where I could buy Westin Safari Light Bar for a 97' 4Runner. They sell it for 98' Tacomas. Can you please point me in the right direction ?

Thanks.
  • elight50elight50 Member Posts: 26
    I am seeking advice on an off-road vehicle for use in the high-lake country of Colorado (around Westcliffe in the Sangres). I've never owned a 4WD or even driven one in any serious way. I'm looking for a used vehicle, something I can park at my cabin and use for a few weeks in the summer months. So, rocks and rough road are more an issue than snow (though it can snow any time at that altitude). The vehicle will see the highway as well as it is 100 miles to everything out there.

I've asked the same questions on other boards and have received some recommendations regarding the Trooper and to a lessor extent the G Cherokee. What I'd like to understand better is how the 4 Runner performs off road, what problems I might encounter, what features I should look for, what model years to avoid, what tires I should get, etc. I had budgeted $10k, but I can see that's not enough to get a recent model with airbags and the new AC coolant. So let's say I'm willing to spend $15K if necessary. I'd welcome any comparisons of other brands. (I have read the Edmund reviews and by the time I was finished, it was hard to say which model was better at what). Thanks in advance.
  • goltgogoltgo Member Posts: 54
    Although finding the product on their website may be tricky, Performance Products should have a light bar in their hard copy catalog which you can request for free from their website at performanceproducts.com. I don't have mine with me, so I can't say for sure, but I believe I saw more than one that would fit the bill for your '97 4Runner in the latest catalog (which I just got earlier this week).
  • gwleonggwleong Member Posts: 36
    Hi,

I'm a new reader of this group so I apologize if this has already been addressed.
    My carpool buddy has a 2000 4runner 2WD Automatic w/the overdrive button. He insists on switching the O/D off every time he goes below 40MPH. He says the owner's manual mandates this. I told him it's more for going up/down hills where you'd turn it off to use the engine for braking, and avoiding shifts btw 3-4 gear. Seems as if he's putting alot of unnecessary wear on his tranny.

What's the scoop on this 'button'?

Please advise. Thanks!

Gary
  • suvshopper4suvshopper4 Member Posts: 1,110
    Short answer: Ask him to show you where in the manual it says what he says it says.

[psssst...He's wrong.]
  • kennywaynekennywayne Member Posts: 13
  • tsaylestsayles Member Posts: 8
    For those interested in a light bar / push bar, check out the WAAG Sporster. I bought one recently from www.overlander.com in Los Angles. I think they have the most reasonable prices around on brush guards and lights. It is WAAG P/N 17778 for '99 and up. I bought IPF 630 lights and are workings great. Piaa and Catz are excellant lights also.
  • kennywaynekennywayne Member Posts: 13
    Why did they stop making them? Will it ever comeback? Did the advent of VSC and TRAC cause a conflict? Or was it too cost effective to continue making them? Could it be that they still make them but not ship them to the US because a lack of of interest or sells? I leased a 1997 SR5, fully loaded for three years and I wished I had opted to buy it. Any thoughts on the subject would be appreciated.

Disregard post #776.
  • rward99rward99 Member Posts: 185
    My understanding is that they couldn't sell them. They'd sit on the lots, so dealers quit ordering them and Toyota quit building them. It all goes to 'efficiency'.

All 4Runners now have only automatics. I share your pain and grief. I love my 5-speed.

Stick shifts are going away. Tundra V-8s can only be had with automatic. Even the V-6 with certain trim levels are automatics (like the 4 door model).
    The manual transmission is dying in this country. I suspect it does conflict with the VSC but I don't know that for sure. I do know manual transmissions are endangered by emissions requirements. Because the automatic transmission computer talks to the engine computer, ignition is retarded during shifts and therefore reduces emissions. This can't be done with a manual.

Between low demand and ever increasing emissions standards, the 5 speed is going the way of the do-do bird. Sad but true.
  • fordnightmarefordnightmare Member Posts: 40
    Any complaints about the 3.4L? I know some complain about punch, but I'm more interested in longevity. Looks like there's room to work under the hood. Cannot say that about many vehicles these days.

Does the 3.4L have a timing belt or chain?

Thanks!
  • magchasemagchase Member Posts: 16
    We just purchased a 2002 4Runner Sport Edition on Saturday the 20th. We'll be putting about 10,000 easy miles per year on the vehicle. Does it make any sense to add an extended warranty with this vehicle or is it a waste of cash?
    The dealership offered (of course) extended warranty coverage, but with the 3/36 and 5/60 coverage, the pricing seemed high. For the Platinum 6/75, they want $940 (0 deductible) and for the 7/75, they are asking $1,025 (0 deductible).
    Naturally, they quoted us an outrageously high(er) MSRP on these plans, but it seems as if the consumer cost should be hundreds of dollars lower.
    What are the best prices I should expect to pay if we should choose to accept one of these plans? We have until 11/30 to accept of decline.
    Thanks in advance!
    cw
  • peter78peter78 Member Posts: 284
    I have a 2001 and the Manual says the timing belt should be changed at 90,000 miles. The old 2.7 four had a chain. Yes the engine looks easy to work on, but I noticed the spark plugs on the passenger side looks like a hard thing to get to. The engine had some trouble with head gaskets in 96. Reliability according to "Consumer Reports" has been excellent.
  • suvshopper4suvshopper4 Member Posts: 1,110
    Curious (to me) that the '01 RAV4 2.0 Liter 4-cyl has a timing chain; I'm told the '01 Highlander 2.4L 4-cyl also has a chain, but that the HL 6-cyl (3.0L displacement?) does not, it has a belt. And the 3.4L in the 4Runner is belted, per the above.

I wonder how they decide whether to go with a belt or a chain. Anybody know?

I always associated timing belts with smaller engines, but 'taint necessarily so, apparently.
    Timing chains usually last longer but are more expensive to replace, if you ever have to. Timing belts are quieter but need replacing. As far as I know the 3.4 engine will not bend the valves if the belt breaks, as it would in my old Acura Integra. The recommended replacement of 90,000 miles is quite good and I think it used to be 60,000 in earlier 3.4, 4Runner models. I know that their are timing chains in certain V6's and straight 6's, but I think on the whole most engines made have timing belts.
    The prices you were offered are fairly decent. Toyota pricing is on the Internet at www.toyota.com and retail on those programs are $1300 and $1425 respectively. As to the value? That's your call. Considering the fact that the 4WD system does rely on several sensors, actuators and such, plus the cost of simple things like keyless entry and CD players, I think they are generally good values.

If you want sticker shock, look into extended warranties for domestic SUVs. The same coverage generally runs between $1500 to $2000 for a genuine factory backed warranty.
    All Toyota products are "non-interference" engines meaning no severe damage if the timing belt or chain breaks. All our V6 engines have belts and the 4's have chains. I don't know why.
  • fordnightmarefordnightmare Member Posts: 40
    I think I asked the timing belt question before, but I could not remember the answer. Good to know the 3.4 is a non-interference-thanks Cliffy. I've installed a timing belt on Toyota DOHC straight 6. It wasn't that bad. Getting the crank pully bolt off was about the toughest part. From the looks of the 3.4, it's about the same. It looks like a decent motor to work on.

Almost bought an 01 a month ago, but the dealer in the Chicago subs wouldn't budge on the 500 over. Never mind that he lost out on a future Camry purchase. I started to look at the Trailblazer, but I'm not sure about reliability. Some folks on that thread have some real gripes. One guy had a bad cylinder sleeve in the new 4.2 and GM had to replace the motor. Gimmmie a cast iron block (like the 3.4).

It would be nice if the parking mirrors on the Japanese models were options for the U.S. version. They look useful. Check out toyota.co.jp. You can view the sight in English.
  • mytypewritermytypewriter Member Posts: 5
    I just bought a 99 4runner Limited from Carmax this weekend. It is fully loaded and has 34K miles on it. (I paid about $25K). On the third time I drove, the "check engine" warning light was on. According to the manual, it says it is malfunction and take to the dealer. I also checked the fuel cap and it is tight and the tank is still full.

Is this a potentially big problem or routine one? I called Carmax about the problem and the salesman told me not to have it towed but drive it to there. I thought it is dangerous to do so since it is 20 miles away.

Carmax has a 5 day return policy, should I return it or give it another chance to fix it? I will take the car to the Carmax later today and just wanted to get some advise before I go.
    Thanks
    Charles
    I just bought a 99 4runner Limited from Carmax this weekend. It is fully loaded and has 34K miles on it. (I paid about $25K). On the third time I drove, the "check engine" warning light was on. According to the manual, it says it is malfunction and take to the dealer. I also checked the fuel cap and it is tight and the tank is still full.

Is this a potentially big problem or routine one? I called Carmax about the problem and the salesman told me not to have it towed but drive it to there. I thought it is dangerous to do so since it is 20 miles away.

Carmax has a 5 day return policy, should I return it or give it another chance to fix it? I will take the car to the Carmax later today and just wanted to get some advise before I go.
    Thanks
    Charles
    Since we are on the subject of timing belts, does anyone know if the water pump is with the timing belt or on another belt? On my other two cars, the water pump is run by the timing belt and every time you change the belt you change the water pump. A co-worker had a Honda Civic and the water pump went out and the leaking water broke the timing belt and since it was not a "non-interference" engine, the valves bent and zappo-whammo, he needed a new engine.
    Your Runner is probably safe to drive back to the dealer. Check engine lights don't mean what they used to. They are now tied into the emissions control system and any leak anywhere in the fuel system will cause it to go on. The fuel cap is the most common cause, but not the only one. It could be a loose fitting on a vapor recovery line, a broken bracket, a pin hole leak or a number of other things.

It could also be something serious, so you do need it diagnosed soon. Take it back to them and see what they say. It could be as simple as a hair line crack in the gas cap and for that, you certainly would not want to return the thing.

Now, if you discover that there is an actual engine problem, you need to know soon to make a good decision. While a good 95% of check engine light problems are nothing, the other 5% are not. Find out quickly. If it runs OK, you're probably fine.
  • droeckdroeck Member Posts: 1
    I am interested in how much you paid for your 2002 4Runner Sport Edition? I too am looking for a sport 4Runner, but have had absolutely no luck in locating one in my area (Orlando, FL). Your input is appreciated.

Daniel
  • sivi1sivi1 Member Posts: 82
    I went to local Toyota Dealer to trade 1996 4RunnerSR5 (30K excellent condition)for a 2002 Toyota 4Run limited. They had the nerve to offer me $14000 trade on $38K vehicle. I asked them what kind of profit do you need? $4K markup on new and $4K on used for a total of $8K profit.
    I went to Nissan and tried Pathfinder which out performed the 4Run every way for my use. Offered me $17.5K on $35K LE Pathfinder. They will still make a decent profit and I'm done with Toyota
    Thanks cliffy1 for replying my message and it was veery helpful. I called the CarMax service department to find out what had trigger the check engine light to turn on. He told me that their computer test shows that there might be a problem in the fuel or emission system and the pressure was low, which lead him to conclude that the gas cap was loose or fueling while the car was running. He then reset the light and now everything is normal.

My question to him was that we had a near full tank when we bought the car and no none had refuel the tank since but how come the light was not on when we bought it? He couldn't really explain it but he thinks our car is fine just as you had predicted.

Any suggestions as to why the light wasn't on then?
    Thanks
    It sounds you had trouble with the dealer and not your resale value. My 2001 4Runner is my first Toyota and I must confess that I would of bought one years ago if it were not for the dealerships. One time in 91 I got so mad I wrote a letter to Toyota about a dealership. I am sure Toyota is rated near the bottom of the "buying experience". Even last year, they kept giving me a hard time and I was about to walk out and we made a deal. All of a sudden, they want you to be your best buddy and hope you are "Completely Satisfied". They even write you a letter saying "They want you to be Completely Satisfied". Of course you get a survey and they use that same term..."Completely Satisfied".
    It is too bad you couldn't get another 4Runner and I hope your Pathfinder works well for for.
    I don't know why the light takes time to come on, but it does. If you picked it up with a full tank, it means they didn't tighten it down. Temperature, barometric pressure and the seals on the cap all have a bearing on when the light will come on. Hopefully, this will be the end of this issue for you. You have a great vehicle which will give you years of great service.
  • bwjones1bwjones1 Member Posts: 10
    Hi,

Just to respond to a couple of questions here, I too just purchased a 4runner SR5 4X4, with the sport package, moonroof, discount convenience package, painted running boards (although I did not want them, but there were none in the state that did not have them), and rear heater for $29,666. I was also offered the extended warranty and am now considering it. My dealer offered the 7year warranty originally at $1440, but came down to $746 before I wrote the check for the 4Runner, so I am now thinking I might go for it as I have a few days to decide.

This is my first Toyota and my previous main vehicle was a Dodge RAM, so if I were to loose my mind and purchase another Dodge (never again!!!) I would definately go for the extended warranty as it would have paid for itself many times over with that piece of junk. However, everybody tells me that Toyota's have much better reliability soooo........

As for the dealer experience, it was pretty good I guess, but purchasing a car is never a pleasant experience as they always try to get you on the trade in and the purchase price no matter where you go. The best I could get on my trade in at several dealerships was almost $1000 less than reported trade in values for that vehicle and condition, but I made them give me a better deal on the 4Runner to compensate. They also threw in $400 worth of NBA tickets to make me happy after a few screw ups with delivery that caused me to have to wait at the dealer for the ENTIRE day. (Good thing I had my Powerbook with me so I could get some work done.)

I do not yet know how Toyotas service quality will be, but my benchmark is a local Mercedes dealer that treats you quite well with a nice waiting area with coffee etc... and details your 'Benz before they give it back to you. Very nice.
  • magchasemagchase Member Posts: 16
    The MSRP on our 2002 Sport was $33254 and we haggled a better part of an afternoon to arrive at $30,200.
  • pr23swpr23sw Member Posts: 6
    Did you go with Toyota's financing? If so do you know the eup. score that Toyota looks for in qualifying for 0%? or the 3.9%?

Thanks,

future 4runner buyer