Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Hyundai Sonata

Comments

• norm8_lakesnorm8_lakes Member Posts: 41
    Jim Trainor is the Hyundai National Manager, Product Public Relations.
    JTrainor@hmausa.com

He said that the production just started on the limited cars could be arriving in dealerships by mid-April. Now, that is going to vary by location.
  • syitalian25syitalian25 Member Posts: 303
    Well I think what Midas was complaining about is that different people have a different baseline when they are rating something like fuel efficiency or power from 1-10. It would be nice if people just compared each car to the direct competitors, but obviously someone giving the new Sonata a 6 for FE when it is best in class is silly. I would like to know which midsize non-hybrid 4 cylinder they would rate a 9 or 10 - my guess would be none. That person is probably expecting Ferrari performance, Bentley-like luxury, and Prius fuel economy.

Sure, compared to the 2002 Civic DX they might own the Sonata uses a bit more gas, but compared to other cars in the class it uses less. Some people don't rate it against competitors, but instead against their own unrealistic expectations of a perfect car.
  • denp3denp3 Member Posts: 99
    Apparently the Limited has a different radio than the SE The Limited has the clock and outside temperature reading as part of the radio display. I just saw one.
  • fireballxl5fireballxl5 Member Posts: 1
    I can't figure out how to get the second HD channel on fm stations that have it. Any ideas? :confuse:
  • herbie10herbie10 Member Posts: 13
    I'm really missing my 2011 Limited. The problem is that the dash has been backorded. I think that the airbags themselves have come in, but they can't give me a date on the dash. This is my first experience with airbags. I knew that they did some damage, but they're saying that because it is hidden under the dash on the passenger side, that the entire dash has to be replaced. My wife's car has a rectangular area on the dash that has the airbage under it. That would have been the only thing on the dash that would have had to be replaced if my Sonata had one.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I have questioned the wisdom of having seamless dash covers over airbags, which is the norm these days. In the past (e.g. on my 2000 626 and 2004 Elantra), there was a door covering the passenger's airbag in the dash. If the airbag inflated or otherwise needed replacement, it could be done w/o replacing the entire dash. In fact, 3 years ago my son had an accident in the 626 and the front airbags did inflate, but the dash didn't have to be replaced. My 2007 Sonata has no such cover, and of course the 2011 Sonata doesn't either.

These little doors covering the airbags weren't very stylish, but they do make airbag replacement a lot easier--and cheaper!
    well since most people only have a $250 or $500 deductible, I'm sure most times the airbag goes off the insurance is going to be paying for most of it anyways. I doubt you are getting into an accident with airbags for less than $1000 minimum in repairs.
    edited March 2010
    First, higher deductibles are the norm these days. Second, the higher the repair costs of cars, the higher your (and my) insurance premiums go. Third, the higher the repair cost, the easier it is for the insurance company to take your car from you (i.e. "total" it) even though the damage is relatively minor. That ever happened to you? It has to me, after a lame-brain ran a red light and clobbered my car, with just enough damage (based on inflated estimates I suspect) to total it. They got a lot of expensive parts out of that deal; made out quite well I am sure.
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    If you think you were getting screwed, i.e. inflated repair estimates and the insurance company making out by getting expensive parts out of the deal, you could have bought the car back for its salvage value.

If your ACV was $10,000 and the salvage value was $700, you could have taken $9300 and paid to have the car repaired. If the estimates were inflated you could easily save that $700 slavage value deduction.

Obviously, no one in their right mind (individual or insurance company) would pay more to repair a car than the car would be worth after it was repaired.

What you are taling about is the cost of replacement parts. If you priced out the cost of all parts of a new car you would see that they total more than the MSRP of that new car. Then, those parts would all have to be assembled to make the new car. Economies of scale in the way new cars are built.
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    If you priced out the cost of all parts of a new car you would see that they total more than the MSRP of that new car

Actually believe it is more like 2 or 3 times the MSRP for a total of all the replacement parts.

Think we're kind of drifting way off topic........2011 Sonata.
    Obviously, no one in their right mind (individual or insurance company) would pay more to repair a car than the car would be worth after it was repaired.

They don't. It only takes an estimated repair cost of 70% of the car's value to total it. Funny how they never mention the owner has the right to buy the car back for its salvage value.

But yes, time to go back to the Sonata and its seamless dashboard. ;)
  • mil001mil001 Member Posts: 6
    Still only about 800 miles on the 2011 GLS. Took a 200 mile trip yesterday (400 miles, there and back). Using the built-in MPG readout, on the way there, I did great (pretty hefty tailwind). 37.3MPG (95% highway, 5% city). On the way back (without resetting), I ended up at 34.7MPG total for the 400 miles (into the wind!!). Pretty good for a barely broken in engine. I'm really happy with the miles. I drove it carefully to see what I could get. Usually about 5-9 over the speedlimit (mostly 70mph speedlimit, so I was doing anywhere from 70-79).

Really happy with the MPG so far.
  • busterbritbusterbrit Member Posts: 27
    I did it today.

click up or down on the tune arrows (left of the volume nob).
    Loving my 2011 limited!!!

I bought the GAP insurance and did not get the extended coverage (10 years or 100,000 miles).

Do I need the GAP? We usually don't buy stuff like this but the dealer made us feel like idiots for not getting it. We have 20 more days to cancel.

Also the extended warranty was $1400. Do you think with all the new features on this car that this might be worth it?

Thanks!
    The Gap insurance is almost never worth it unless you really plan to do 10,000 miles a year and keep it for all 10 years. How many problems over $1400 are likely to happen between 60K and 100K miles that are not covered under warranty? Not many. Why don't you just invest the $1400 into something that builds a little interest, if you use it on the car you've lost nothing - if you don't use it you are putting your money to work in the mean time.
    Thanks for the thoughts.

I forgot to mention we bought it (not lease) and ended up not putting anything down since it was only 2.9% financing. The GAP was $750. It didn't feel right getting it (we never buy warranies on things) but like I said the dealer made it sound like it was definilty needed.

with this updated info do you think we should still cancel it?
    Does the Limited have the external amplifier and sub woofer.
    I have a hold on a Limited coming in to my dealer.
    How many miles do you do a year and how long do you anticipate keeping the car?
    I do about 10-12,000 a year. I usually keep my cars for 10+ years.
    yes it does. The sound is awesome!!! I really like the HD radio. What a difference once the HD kicks in for basic radio.
    I assume that is the radio without the nav?
    Yes without the Nav. It is the dimension speakers.
    I'd consider keeping the warranty for $750 then as long as there aren't too many clauses where they can get out of replacing things. Because in 8 years if the car has 80000 miles on it, that's when things could start to go in the interior. Or you could turn that $750 into $1000 and hope nothing costs more than that to fix. It's a gamble either way.
  • shot_mosshot_mos Member Posts: 24
    I work for an insurance company, so I am really getting a kick out of most of these replies.

Oops. Sorry. I have been an insurance adjuster for auto damage, theft, and fire for almost 10 years now.

Anyways..

1) Higher Deductibles are the norm these days. I handle approximately 135 claims a month. I've dealt with people who have $100 deductibles, up to $1000. The average is usually $500.

2) The higher the repair costs...the high your premiums go. This is true, to a sense. Thankfully (?) since cars depreciate, your insurance base cost goes down from year to year as your vehicle gets older.

3) The higher the repair cost, the easier it is for the insurance company to take your car from you (i.e. "total" it) even though the damage is relatively minor. . This is the most illogical thing I've seen posted since 10 am today.

Three ways to total a vehicle - a) cost of repair is more than the value of the vehicle; b) manufacturer states that a component cannot be repaired or replaced; or c) it could be repaired, but potential safety issues outweigh the repair (like rollovers). Seriously, you do think that insurance companies can't wait to total a vehicle?

4) ... with just enough damage (based on inflated estimates I suspect) to total it. They got a lot of expensive parts out of that deal; made out quite well I am sure.

Unlikely. I guess the "they" you mention is the insurance company? Well geez, after the tow bill, and the storage fees, then the other tow bill, and after we paid the ACV (actual cash value) for your vehicle, and then after we sold it at the salvage auction, the insurance company is lucky to get 20-30% of what was paid out.
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    GAP insurance covers the difference you owe on the loan vs the actual cash value of the vehicle if it is a total loss. Other than a deduction for high milage in determining ACV, the number of miles you drive per year has nothing to do with GAP insurance.

I think syitalian confused GAP insurance with extended warrantees.

If you bought with little or no money down you probably should have GAP insurance. However, you should also check to see what your auto insurance company would charge you for this. It is normally (at least in CT) far less than the dealer charges for GAP insurance.

We bought a new '05 Sonata, $17,770 OTD with $7,000 down and did not take GAP Insurance. We also bought a new '07 Sonata, $18,189 OTD with $2500 down and did take GAP insurance through the car insurance policy...cost about $60 per year. When you're no longer upside down on the car loan, you can drop that coverage from your car insurance policy...it does not run the length of the car loan.
    edited March 2010
    Three ways to total a vehicle - a) cost of repair is more than the value of the vehicle; ...

What I get a kick out of is someone who's been an insurance adjuster for 10 years and doesn't know the rules that insurance companies follow to determine whether to "total" a vehicle. ;)

When I get a call from the body shop that my car is easily repairable and the damage is well under the 70% of ACV needed total it, then there's a visit from the adjuster from the other driver's insurance company (which is paying for my car's repairs) and all of a sudden, my vehicle is over the 70% of ACV limit by a few dollars (and I'm told I have no choice but to turn the vehicle over to the insurance company), when 90% of the body panels are perfect, interior is perfect, drivetrain is undamaged (and has low mileage to boot on a very popular car), and even the tires are nearly new... yes, I begin to wonder whether insurance companies prefer to total a vehicle. If totaling a vehicle is such a bad deal for the insurance company... why not just repair it when the damage is only 71% of the ACV?
  • meikmeik Member Posts: 63
    If you bought with little or no money down you probably should have GAP insurance. However, you should also check to see what your auto insurance company would charge you for this.

That is what I was about to say. I checked my insurance cost before I picked mine up at the dealer and added GAP insurance to my premium. When I was at the dealer to pick up my car, they asked me about GAP insurance and I said I already added it to my premium. I didn't hear how much they would charge for it. My premium went up by about $3.50 a month.
  • shot_mosshot_mos Member Posts: 24
    edited March 2010
    Different insurance companies use different valuations to total a vehicle.

When I wrote "cost of repair is more than the value of the vehicle" I suspect that I should have been more elaborate.

Cost of repair includes all costs associated with repairing the vehicle, including, but not limited to, rental expense. You also must consider expected salvage returns for the sale of the vehicle, expected or potential supplements, tow and storage bills, etc.

Here's an example:

link title

This beautiful 2010 Sonata has an ACV: $27,062 USD, but the repair cost is only $15,790 USD. Oh my gosh! This isn't a 70% ACV limit! That's only 58% That #$(#($ insurance company! It's not that bad, just slap some bondo on that fender and cut off the airbag, right? :sick:

And, if you're financing a vehicle, often the finance company won't allow you to keep the salvage, because 1) they want to maximize their return, and 2) if you stop paying your note, they don't want to repo a piece of junk.

(gotta get back on topic)

I wish the '11 Sonata had cigarette lighter/electrical aux in the center console or on the back of the console, for the passengers in the back.

Anyone have any leather seat cleaning guides or timelines? Just planning in advance, no idea when to use saddle soap, etc., on the seats.
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    Awesome mpg!!
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    edited March 2010
    Here's an interesting article on the 2011 Sonata. (note: disregard the mistake in their headline. The article is about the 2011 model, not the 2010.)

Sonata boosts Hyundai into sedan pantheon
  • lancep97lancep97 Member Posts: 36
    Thanks for the article. I'm wondering if the horn replacement they are talking about is something recent. I know several forums have threads on 2011 Sonata horn replacement. Is the new horn puny or was that only early builds?
    Here's the link to the live Webcast event for the 2011 Sonata Turbo and Hybrid taking place tomorrow at the New York Auto Show.
  • shamrock13shamrock13 Member Posts: 8
    Just wondering if the Sonata's radio (either with or without nav) allows for Bluetooth music streaming. I know it has Bluetooth phone capabilities. I would love to be able to play internet radio through the car via my cell phone. - Thanks
  • craigsamuelcraigsamuel Member Posts: 10
    Hey Guys,
    On the way to work this morning, I found nothing but solid static on the AM/FM!
    The Sattelite reception was fine though. Any idea what the heck this is from?
    I don't know if this could have affected it but three days ago I had the vehicle rust proofed at Krown.
    ???

Thanks
  • moontrainmoontrain Member Posts: 83
    edited March 2010
    I was reading in the Hyundai book that you can get interior accents in either Piano black or Woodgrain.. All I have seen is black.Has anyone seen the woodgrain?
    I wonder what you have to do to get woodgrain? I am waiting for Camel interior in a Limited and want the woodgrain.
  • midas69midas69 Member Posts: 118
    Just wondering if the Sonata's radio (either with or without nav) allows for Bluetooth music streaming. I know it has Bluetooth phone capabilities. I would love to be able to play internet radio through the car via my cell phone. - Thanks

Yes for the NAV unit. Don't know about the non-NAV, but I think it does.
    You are correct. It works on both Nav and non-Nav.
    The woodgrain will be available on the camel limited models. All you can do is wait for those Camel interior models to arrive at dealerships. (apparently they've been working at them at the factory for at least a week.)
    Yes you are right, I completely misread the question, thanks for the good answers to his actual question haha.

Also, thanks to the person who posted the new MSN article. Does anyone have any info about Hyundai changing the horn? I agree that the one in mine is weak, I was looking at doing a replacement myself but I don't have much experience doing electrical work and I am afraid to mess it up. If they have a new OEM horn, maybe it will be an easy installation. Or I can hope maybe they will do it for free if I ask nicely?
    I have a Limited Black Plum Pearl with NAV and camel interior on order with the dealer. I wonder if the woodgrain will come on it or the black. I am hoping for the woodgrain. I wonder if the dealer has to put in an request for it. With Hyundai you can not order a car only request one.
  • 2011limited2011limited Member Posts: 30
    Where is The 'Link'...?
  • LASHAWNLASHAWN Member Posts: 303
    I just saw the wine color interior of the 2011 Sonata and to me it looks beautiful, as long as your getting it in one the Black exterior colors.
    Thanks for the info/thoughts. I will definitly call our insurer. I knew I should have bought it from the dealer but it was the one thing I did not research beforehand since orginally we were going to put $5,000 down. Then when I realized we were only paying 2.9% I was like "why would I put that much down with that low of an interest rate".
    What do you all think about gettting the extended warranty on this car?

$1400 for a 10year/100,000 mile
    I'm having a similar problem. If I'm listening to my ipod and then turn off the car. When I get back it the radio makes a really loud static sound but the volume will not go up or down. Then if I press the on/off button it actually turns on the ipod again. It is really annoying and really loud. I'm afraid its going to bust the speakers.

Any ideas why it would do this? Would this be covered under the warrenty?
    Your btb is 5/60 I believe and your powertrain is 10/100k. So in effect you are extending your btb for 5yrs/40k miles and adding nothing to your powertrain. $1400 and the interest you can get on it would pay for a several $400-500 repairs in years 6-10. I would bank the $1400 but that is, as always, just my opinion.
    I think the Hyundai warranty on the sound system is not the same as the rest of the car. I thought I remember reading someplace it was only 1 yr or 3 yrs. Someone more knowledgeable should know but I'm pretty sure it's not the 5yrs/60k. I would check your fine print in your warranty booklet.
    $1400 is a lot of money. Your first 5 years ( 60,000 miles ) are covered, so the extended is for the last 5 years. Put the $1400 in a CD at your bank and let it build money for the first 5 years.Then if something goes wrong after 5 years you will have more then $1400 to use for repairs. I just got word that my Limited is due at the dealer in two weeks,and that's what I plan on doing with my money.
    I agree. The dealers push these insurance plans for a good reason - because they usually come out ahead.
  • raydahsraydahs Member Posts: 449
    From Edmunds: webcast

Just the Facts:
    Hyundai will unveil the 2011 Sonata Hybrid and the 2011 Sonata Turbo this week at the 2010 New York Auto Show.
    Inside Line will stream the Hyundai press conference via Webcast on Wednesday, beginning at 1:35 pm EST.
    A Q&A session with Hyundai executives will follow the Sonatas' debut.