Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2011 Hyundai Sonata

Comments

• I am also driving an Acura TSX and am strongly considering a Sonata Limited for my next car. I would be interested in hearing your opinions concerning the ride quality of the Sonata vs. the TSX. The TSX rides moderately firmly, in my opinion, and I'm hoping the Sonata is a little softer. I don't expect the Sonata to handle as well as the TSX but I'm willing to trade a little handling for a more comfortable ride.
  • moontrainmoontrain Posts: 83
    edited April 2010
    Sorry, I thought you were talking about outside temp.
  • syitalian25syitalian25 Posts: 303
    edited April 2010
    Hey everyone - I got a bunch of pictures at the Auto Show that I wanted to share in case anyone is interested. The Sonata Turbo looked pretty much the same on the outside as the 2.4L aside from the badge on the back. The one on display didn't have the outside turn signals so it appeared to be an SE.

The Hybrid was pretty different outside, with a much more feminine look (IMHO) than the regular Sonata thanks to the removal of the flashy grill and some other exterior changes. Overall I liked the look, but not as much as the regular Sonata's. I guess getting 37mpg city would be nice though.

The Equus is a beautiful car. Interior features and quality were superb, and hopefully Hyundai will be able to convince current Lexus/Mercedes buyers to consider it. Like the Genesis, there is little reminder that the car is actually a Hyundai from the outside.

Sonata 2.0T -

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs442.snc3/25392_545491633812_581033- - 87_32008211_8340383_n.jpg

Hybrid -

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs462.ash1/25392_545490236612_581033- - 87_32008081_2435053_n.jpg

http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs442.snc3/25392_545490231622_58103387_32008080_75- - 72699_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs462.snc3/25392_545490241602_581033- - 87_32008082_4299362_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs462.snc3/25392_545491663752_581033- - 87_32008217_4164047_n.jpg

Equus -

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs462.snc3/25392_545491638802_581033- - 87_32008212_1018097_n.jpg

http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs462.snc3/25392_545491643792_58103387_32008213_70- - 83195_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs462.ash1/25392_545491648782_581033- - 87_32008214_464814_n.jpg
  • 'and the little light overhead that illuminates the shifter below' ......

Where is this 'little light'?

TIA
  • gary045gary045 Posts: 81
    To anyone, I have a question about the drive with cruise control on since I take a long trip every yr.

Does the tranny shift down often while going up a minor grade or hill? Is there a control feature to not let the tranny shift down? I think the older Sonata had it.
    It seems like the 2011 Sonata would downshift more often now that the eng RPM is slower while cruising at 70.

The reason I ask is I had a GM that had a very stupid transmission that would downshift at the slightest grade, speed back up to 70mph, then shift back into overdrive before hitting the top of the grade, then it would downshift again. Needless to say it was very annoying to me.

That was one reason I bought a manual shifting car the last time, no more stupid transmission.. :)
    The transmission is pretty good about knowing when a shift is necessary. If anything, it will keep it in a gear with decent power (like 5th) until the slight incline is over, then go into 6th to save gas. But it's definitely not back and forth all the time. Of course you could always just put it into manual shift mode and the gears will hold until you change them or the engine is about to stall.
  • jsmit86jsmit86 Posts: 116
    Those Equus pix are sweet! I currently have a 2011 Sonata Limited on the way.
    It will probably arrive while I am in Seoul next week. It amazes me how far Hyundai has come in the last 10 years or so.

My work has me traveling to Asia 2x a year to meet with our Vendors. (Including Samsung, LG etc..) I have been traveling to Korea since 1991. When I would arrive at the Airport, I was always picked up in a Cadillac, or Mercedes sedan; never a Hyundai.

I watched over the years as the Korean cars evolved from smoke-belching jalopies, to their current state. In the late 1990’s I had the opportunity to ride in a few of the Sonatas, and noticed the improvement. In 2000, I got picked up in an Equus, and I was blown away! I thought it was a re-badged Lexus or something. My hosts pointed out that it was a joint venture with Mitsubishi, and that it was about a $80,000 USD car. I also had a chance to ride in a few XG/Grandeur, and was impressed. In 2001, I bought my Mother in Law a Sonata. In 2002 We got my Wife a Santa Fe, and a used 2000 Sonata for my kids. All of them were great vehicles with no significant problems.

This past summer, we traded my Son’s 2000 Sonata (With 155K miles) on a 2009 Sonata GLS. During that time I also test drove a 2009 Limited, and was pretty impressed.

I recently decided it was time to replace my 2003 Infiniti G35 RWD. It’s been a great car, but since I have moved back to the Chicago Area, it can be challenging to drive in our winters.

I considered buying several cars including; Buick LaCrosse, Ford Taurus, Ford Fusion, Infiniti M35X and G37X. I also test drove the 2011 Sonata Limited, and was very impressed. I came very close to getting the M35, but I got seriously low-balled on my trade. :mad:

On the way home from the Infiniti dealer, I passed a gas station where the price had just changed to $3.05 a gallon for Reg, and $3.25 for Premium, that the M requires. :confuse: It made me question why I should spend $15K more for a car, and then spend more on gas, insurance etc… No, it won’t outrun the G35, but after carefully weighing the value, I pulled the trigger on the Sonata. :shades:
  • m6userm6user Posts: 3,047
    Doesn't look as bad in that picture but I still don't like it. It's obviously a personal thing but I don't know that there would be anything you could about it. I don't believe you can order anything out of the ordinary on Hyundai or many of the others either. I would be concerned with dirty/oily fingertips darkening the areas around the buttons on the camel.

Maybe it's something that just takes getting used to as this is a little different look than most cars have on the steering wheel.
  • tuckerdogtuckerdog Posts: 29
    Montag311,

I've never driven a TSX, so can't give a comparison between that & the Sonata Limited, But did compare an SE vs the Limited. Two different sales people didn't want to oblige me with a drive in the Limited after the SE, both saying there was no noticeabe difference. But I insisted, and they were wrong ( or just lazy ). I mean how can one have a sportier suspension, 18' vs 17" wheels & lower profile tires and not feel different? The Limited did have a more comfortable ride. The SE was fine for a test drive, and everyday trips. But I'm getting older, and suspect if I took a longer trip and put 1K miles under my butt in a day, that stiffer ride would start to really get noticed. I prefer the look of the SE ( 18" wheels & dual exhaust ). But at my age, prefer to impress those on the inside, more than those on the outside.

Tuckerdog1
  • yoonnyyoonny Posts: 33
    07 TSX vs. 11 Sonata Limited
    TSX is certainly more nimble and suspension feels like a true sports sedan. Sonata however is not far behind in terms of stiffness of the suspension even on the limited model. It certainly doesn't feel like a Camry. The seats in Sonata are as supportive as those in the TSX. I have not gone above 3,000 RPM yet and turned corners fast so the true comparison has to wait. I find the Sonata just right in terms of ride comfort and handling. Hyundai may not have the true and tested Honda steering accuracy yet but I feel they are very close and something non professional drivers would notice. Brake feel is very good. Sonata is much roomier, has huge trunk space and feels $10,000 richer although it's priced a lot lower. Did I mention great stereo system? Also, Sonata's door closes with a thud whereas TSX feels cheap.

There is a little light by the sunroof switch. However, it's not strong and does not create any "mood" lighting by the console.

I uploaded lots of pics of my Pearl White Limited w/o Navi. One of the pics show where the light is:

http://www1.snapfish.com/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=2340350017/a=7356081_7356081/ots- c=SHR/otsi=SALBlink/COBRAND_NAME=snapfish/

More wishes for 2012:
    Memory seats with separate key fobs for driver 1 and 2.
    Auto window open feature from the key fob
  • Tuckerdog,

I agree with everything you wrote. SE does look better on the outside although I much prefer the interior on the Limited. Like you, as I get older I find that a softer ride is preferable although I'm not quite ready for some pillow-soft land yacht yet. Just something that strikes a good balance of ride and handling. I haven't driven the Sonata yet but I'm hoping it will fit the bill.
  • northernlivingnorthernliving Posts: 6
    edited April 2010
    The 2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid caught my eye. I'm in the market for a new family sedan this summer. I have a TDI for my commuter, but other than that I've been mostly a GM owner over the past 20 years, I'll have to say, I really like the style, luxury and economics of the Hyundai Sonata. I'm also considering the Chevy Malibu and Ford Fusion. I know that there are lots of people that just love the Prius, but I think that beauty is in the eye of the beholder on that one. It ranks right up there with the AMC Pacer with style and IMO only a mother could call the Prius attractive. Anyone have any recon on the price tag of the Hybrid Sanata?
  • splxsplx Posts: 8
    The hybrid Sonata won't be available in this summer. It will be out late fall or early winter this year. I have no info on the price but I'm pretty sure that it will be cheaper than other hybrid sedans.
  • Thanks for your input regarding the TSX vs.Sonata. I agree that the TSX doors feel sort of flimsy when closing. I also agree strongly about being able to open the windows with the remote fob. This is a very handy feature on hot days and I think it's one of the things I will miss most about my TSX (except for the wonderful 6-speed manual gearbox).
  • I recently drove from Northern Virginia to Princeton, New Jersey in my 2011 GLS. I was going at a good clip, about 65. I made a couple of stops, encountered some traffic on the DC Beltway and at toll gates. At the end of the 211 mile trip I was amazed (and pleased) to see that I had averaged over 40 miles per gallon.

Thanks, Hyundai!
  • jlindhjlindh Posts: 282
    Fantastic, almost unbelievable mileage. Was that in the computer or did you manually calculate it?
  • denp3denp3 Posts: 99
    Great Mileage
    Hope I am as lucky when I get mine.
    How did you find the steering?
    Some reviews say it is a little vague on the highway.
    Hope it is as good, if not better than my 06 Sonata.
  • That is what it said on the computer. I filled the tank the night before I left and reset everything to zero.
  • How did you find the steering?
    Some reviews say it is a little vague on the highway.

The first time I drove it to New Jersey I did find the steering to be somewhat "twitchy" at high speeds. In other words I found I had to nudge the wheel to the left and right a bit more than I was used to. But this time I didn't notice it nearly as much. For one thing the weather was much nicer - no rain and the wind was less intense. I'm confident it's something I can easily get used to.
  • swingmanswingman Posts: 54
    when you let go of the wheel, does the car drive straight? (sometimes cars tend to wander one direction or another).
  • when you let go of the wheel, does the car drive straight? (sometimes cars tend to wander one direction or another).

Pretty much. Like all cars it wanders a little at higher speeds and, when it does, you have to compensate with the steering wheel.
    edited April 2010
    They haven't announced the pricing but they said it will of course be more than the regular Sonata, probably somewhere in the range of the Turbo Limited (around $29K if I had to guess)

The mileage is estimated at 37 city/39 hwy, and at the Auto Show it seemed to have most of the same features as the Limited inside (leather, moonroof, turn signals on mirrors, etc.)

As someone else said, it's not due out until late fall/early winter.
  • sjwrsjwr Posts: 8
    edited April 2010
    Great! Finally an attractive looking large gasoline hybrid vehicle that lets you get good mileage even on mid to long distance highway trips.

Hybrids until now only did well in the city but not on highways..., so I had been looking at the VW diesel TDI for a long time(Prius, no match for TDI... only good for city).

But now, since Hyundai introduced the new Sonata Hybrid which gets good mileage both in & out of the city, I think my search is over...
  • engbertengbert Posts: 9
    The transmission on the 2011 Sonata is so smooth you will not notice the changes unless you are trying to detect them, or watch the RPM.

It does change on minor grades - that is what it is meant to do.
  • 101649101649 Posts: 192
    Are there any engineers out there who can explain the concept for the "split connecting rods" used in the new Sonata engines??
  • dash5dash5 Posts: 418
    So assuming a fully loaded Turbo limited will at least be in spitting distance of 30k, does that add any other cars to the comparable list? Still short of a G37 or A4 and the like. Base Maxima maybe? VW CC?
  • From Hyundai:

The splitting type of steel con rod is made of high carbon micro-alloyed steel with no additional heat treatment after hot forging. This con rod blank is forged in one-die mold and later fracture splitted. Unlike the conventional types where the rods and caps are separately forged and machined, this steel split con rod needs no additional rod/cap contact face milling which means a substantial savings in machining cost. Besides, a firm contact between rod and cap improves stiffness and compatibility with other crank-train moving parts - a definite merit in engine performance.
    Nice to see Hyundai reply
  • m6userm6user Posts: 3,047
    If you want to keep your comparable list to cars that use regular gas(not premium) you wouldn't use the either the Maxima or the CC. Plus the CC has only 200hp and a DSG which is nice to use but has a huge service bill every 40k or so and the Maxima has CVT.

The new G25 due out this late fall from Infiniti will probably list for around 30K and will have some comparable numbers/features. However, also will probably require premium fuel and is also a rear wheel drive auto so not really comparable.

The Buick Regal will be somewhat similarly priced but I think that is probably already an accepted competitior to the Sonata. Even the new Lacrosse could be but to stay in that range the Lacrosse would probably have cloth interior and the 4cyl, 182hp. Really not be comparable equipmentwise.

IMO the comparable list will still be the uplevel mainstay midsize cars like Camry, Accord, Mazda6, Fusion/Milan, Legacy, Altima etc. not entry level luxury cars. But being comparable on paper still doesn't mean people might not cross shop. I certainly would.