Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Hyundai Sonata

Comments

• montag311montag311 Member Posts: 8
    Tuckerdog,

I agree with everything you wrote. SE does look better on the outside although I much prefer the interior on the Limited. Like you, as I get older I find that a softer ride is preferable although I'm not quite ready for some pillow-soft land yacht yet. Just something that strikes a good balance of ride and handling. I haven't driven the Sonata yet but I'm hoping it will fit the bill.
  • northernlivingnorthernliving Member Posts: 6
    edited April 2010
    The 2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid caught my eye. I'm in the market for a new family sedan this summer. I have a TDI for my commuter, but other than that I've been mostly a GM owner over the past 20 years, I'll have to say, I really like the style, luxury and economics of the Hyundai Sonata. I'm also considering the Chevy Malibu and Ford Fusion. I know that there are lots of people that just love the Prius, but I think that beauty is in the eye of the beholder on that one. It ranks right up there with the AMC Pacer with style and IMO only a mother could call the Prius attractive. Anyone have any recon on the price tag of the Hybrid Sanata?
  • splxsplx Member Posts: 8
    The hybrid Sonata won't be available in this summer. It will be out late fall or early winter this year. I have no info on the price but I'm pretty sure that it will be cheaper than other hybrid sedans.
  • montag311montag311 Member Posts: 8
    Thanks for your input regarding the TSX vs.Sonata. I agree that the TSX doors feel sort of flimsy when closing. I also agree strongly about being able to open the windows with the remote fob. This is a very handy feature on hot days and I think it's one of the things I will miss most about my TSX (except for the wonderful 6-speed manual gearbox).
  • andyfromvaandyfromva Member Posts: 79
    I recently drove from Northern Virginia to Princeton, New Jersey in my 2011 GLS. I was going at a good clip, about 65. I made a couple of stops, encountered some traffic on the DC Beltway and at toll gates. At the end of the 211 mile trip I was amazed (and pleased) to see that I had averaged over 40 miles per gallon.

Thanks, Hyundai!
  • jlindhjlindh Member Posts: 282
    Fantastic, almost unbelievable mileage. Was that in the computer or did you manually calculate it?
  • denp3denp3 Member Posts: 99
    Great Mileage
    Hope I am as lucky when I get mine.
    How did you find the steering?
    Some reviews say it is a little vague on the highway.
    Hope it is as good, if not better than my 06 Sonata.
    That is what it said on the computer. I filled the tank the night before I left and reset everything to zero.
    How did you find the steering?
    Some reviews say it is a little vague on the highway.

The first time I drove it to New Jersey I did find the steering to be somewhat "twitchy" at high speeds. In other words I found I had to nudge the wheel to the left and right a bit more than I was used to. But this time I didn't notice it nearly as much. For one thing the weather was much nicer - no rain and the wind was less intense. I'm confident it's something I can easily get used to.
  • swingmanswingman Member Posts: 54
    when you let go of the wheel, does the car drive straight? (sometimes cars tend to wander one direction or another).
    when you let go of the wheel, does the car drive straight? (sometimes cars tend to wander one direction or another).

Pretty much. Like all cars it wanders a little at higher speeds and, when it does, you have to compensate with the steering wheel.
  • syitalian25syitalian25 Member Posts: 303
    edited April 2010
    They haven't announced the pricing but they said it will of course be more than the regular Sonata, probably somewhere in the range of the Turbo Limited (around $29K if I had to guess)

The mileage is estimated at 37 city/39 hwy, and at the Auto Show it seemed to have most of the same features as the Limited inside (leather, moonroof, turn signals on mirrors, etc.)

As someone else said, it's not due out until late fall/early winter.
  • sjwrsjwr Member Posts: 8
    edited April 2010
    Great! Finally an attractive looking large gasoline hybrid vehicle that lets you get good mileage even on mid to long distance highway trips.

Hybrids until now only did well in the city but not on highways..., so I had been looking at the VW diesel TDI for a long time(Prius, no match for TDI... only good for city).

But now, since Hyundai introduced the new Sonata Hybrid which gets good mileage both in & out of the city, I think my search is over...
  • engbertengbert Member Posts: 9
    The transmission on the 2011 Sonata is so smooth you will not notice the changes unless you are trying to detect them, or watch the RPM.

It does change on minor grades - that is what it is meant to do.
  • 101649101649 Member Posts: 192
    Are there any engineers out there who can explain the concept for the "split connecting rods" used in the new Sonata engines??
  • dash5dash5 Member Posts: 421
    So assuming a fully loaded Turbo limited will at least be in spitting distance of 30k, does that add any other cars to the comparable list? Still short of a G37 or A4 and the like. Base Maxima maybe? VW CC?
  • 2011limited2011limited Member Posts: 30
    From Hyundai:

The splitting type of steel con rod is made of high carbon micro-alloyed steel with no additional heat treatment after hot forging. This con rod blank is forged in one-die mold and later fracture splitted. Unlike the conventional types where the rods and caps are separately forged and machined, this steel split con rod needs no additional rod/cap contact face milling which means a substantial savings in machining cost. Besides, a firm contact between rod and cap improves stiffness and compatibility with other crank-train moving parts - a definite merit in engine performance.
    Nice to see Hyundai reply
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    If you want to keep your comparable list to cars that use regular gas(not premium) you wouldn't use the either the Maxima or the CC. Plus the CC has only 200hp and a DSG which is nice to use but has a huge service bill every 40k or so and the Maxima has CVT.

The new G25 due out this late fall from Infiniti will probably list for around 30K and will have some comparable numbers/features. However, also will probably require premium fuel and is also a rear wheel drive auto so not really comparable.

The Buick Regal will be somewhat similarly priced but I think that is probably already an accepted competitior to the Sonata. Even the new Lacrosse could be but to stay in that range the Lacrosse would probably have cloth interior and the 4cyl, 182hp. Really not be comparable equipmentwise.

IMO the comparable list will still be the uplevel mainstay midsize cars like Camry, Accord, Mazda6, Fusion/Milan, Legacy, Altima etc. not entry level luxury cars. But being comparable on paper still doesn't mean people might not cross shop. I certainly would.
  • dahm21dahm21 Member Posts: 3
    Can get Acura for $27500 or Sonata Limited for $24000-

Is Acura $3500 better?
    I cant tell which one is bigger- I know Sonata specs are larger but minimal.

Also- i drive 25k miles year- which will have better value after 5 years (125k miles)?

Thanks
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    I am very impressed with the new Hyundai Sonata! It is very attractive. I picture it with 18in wheels, decent tint and it would truly look like its on another level. Good for them for producing a nice engine with a 6spd transmission. Not only producing a new look, but newer technology. The interior looks great too! Pretty high end looking.
    It could totally be a contender with the TSX for those that don't want to spend the extra cash on the TSX. Personally, the TSX is probably worth the extra cash, but will you notice it driving the Sonata? Most people probably won't, plus you can save some cash. People that are Honda/Acura fans are going to notice that its not.

Though this is a new model, time will tell if its value will hold up well. I am sure it will. But, the Acura is known to hold very well. So if you keep it long term, your Acura will keep longer.

I am very impressed! So awesome for Hyundai to put themselves out there and produce a product with some guts. More than I can say for Honda, when the Accord fell short in terms of style, played it safe. I think they'll have no choice to come out with a bang on a new model.

Still, comparing a TSX and a Sonata is a bit of a stretch, but the Sonata has more of that appeal, I would say more so than the Accord. Family sedan, or entry level luxury sedan. Accord better watch out. I love honda, and I would totally look at this car too! I have 1 year until I am looking again for a new car.
  • shabadoo25shabadoo25 Member Posts: 232
    I too compared the TSX with the 2011 Sonata. I decided it was not worth the extra $3-4k. It might be a different comparison once the 2011 TSX comes out.

Here's what I didn't like about the TSX comparatively:

1. Ugly interior styling, especially with tech package. Too many prominent, big buttons. Too much emphasis on the cd player. Is it still 1998?
    2. Smaller interior
    3. Hard to see/read nav screen (especially in sunlight)
    4. No push button start

You do get memory seats with the TSX, which is nice.

It's hard to talk about future value since the Hyundai is a brand new car.
  • tuckerdogtuckerdog Member Posts: 29
    I've seen all the interiors, except the 'wine'. I doubt it's what we'd choose, but I'd like to see ALL the options before I sign on the dotted line.

I can't seem to find any photos or videos with that color interior. Anybody got a link?

Thanks,
    Tuckerdog1
  • akumaakuma Member Posts: 70
    the Sonata is considerably larger (classified as large car), but weighs less actually (almost 200 lbs) and has a slightly shorter turning radius. if you drive 25k+ miles a year, the Sonata also gets much better fuel mileage (35 mpg highway compared to 28-30 mpg for the TSX) and with regular unleaded as well, so you might save more than 20% on gas cost. the Sonata Limited might also be a more comfortable cruiser than the sportier TSX. but really, the only way to decide is to drive the cars yourself.
  • darkhelmet16darkhelmet16 Member Posts: 13
    I've seen other listings on cars.com with more/better pics, but here's one that I found quickly: Wine Interior
  • gary045gary045 Member Posts: 81
    Thanks engbert, I can live with a smooth downshift on grades. Especially if I don't notice it...lol I guess having a 6 spd transmission helps.

The GM I had only had a 4 spd, so when it dropped down a gear it felt like you were going to pass someone.
    Plus in order to claim a decent gas mileage the eng only turns about 1800 RPM at 70. Way out of the horsepower and torque range.
  • tuckerdogtuckerdog Member Posts: 29
    Thanks Darkhelmet.

I think I'm going with the black.

Tuckerdog1
    I've got a harbor gray with gray interior,on hold coming in supposedly on the 7th, would have liked black, but black gets hotter in the summer.
  • abigmuttabigmutt Member Posts: 38
    i'm sorry if i'm asking something already covered, but i've been away from this Sonata forum for a while ......
    are there any red limiteds coming out of the factory yet? i had a deal for one with my dealer, but they recently withdrew the solid price offer on that one, they said because there were none out there to be had.
    so i have to renegotiate if one suddenly comes along. sure is annoying, when you think you have a solid deal on a supposedly-existing item and they withdraw the offer.
    but in their defense, the contract did say it was only good for 30 days, and that expired the other day.
    right now i'm ticked off enough to just wait it out and get a turbo or hybrid once those come out.

anyone else had something similar happen to them?

thanks.
  • moontrainmoontrain Member Posts: 83
    I think you need to go to another dealer. I was in the same boat waiting for a Black Plum Pearl Limited. That was in early March and the dealer is still honoring our deal. The car is coming in about April 15th. If he wants your business he will write the same deal for you and look harder for your car, that's what they did for me.
  • jparks8jparks8 Member Posts: 19
    I just returned from a trip and was monitoring the gasoline consumption of my 1 week old 2011 Sonata manual transmission. Hyundai states that I should get 6.2 L/100k but I did much better at 5.6 L/100km (42 mpg). It was regular gasoline. Only the driver in the car, 20 C outside, windows closed. Is everyone finding similar numbers?
  • jparks8jparks8 Member Posts: 19
    A passenger compared that my 1 week-old manual Sonata would be impossible for him to drive. There wasn't enough engine noise to let him know when to shift. I pointed out that there was a tach. My sisters loved it that four people could easily heard each other and talk at highway speeds. You do notice how quiet it is.

My old 1999 Honda Accord would go over speed bumps as if they were not there. (I know a Lexus can do the same with curbs.) You do notice the road bumps in my new Sonata although they are dampened. I'm not saying this is a good or bad thing. It's just different.

And last night I noticed the little blue lights on all the window switches. that's very nice.
    My old 1999 Honda Accord would go over speed bumps as if they were not there. (I know a Lexus can do the same with curbs.)

When I test drove midsized cars in February and March I found the Accord to be the most sensitive to road bumps. The softest riding car was the Malibu, then the Camry and then the Sonata. The Fusion, Altima and Accord brought up the rear.
  • 20tmaybe20tmaybe Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone researched the navigation system on the 2011 Sonata? I've put together from a couple of reviews and announcements about other Hyundai cars that it's apparently made by LG.
    LG portable nav systems get panned on other sites (e.g. Amazon) for assessing a $100 charge for upgrading the map database.
    Anyone know how effective LG is (assuming it really is LG) in maintaining their maps? Any insight into the upgrade issue?
    Thanks.
  • akeiyakeiy Member Posts: 22
    Could you please tell me what's the main difference among GLS, SE and limited. I don't know which one I should choose. Thank you very much!
  • midas69midas69 Member Posts: 118
    $100 for map updates for a factory nav unit would be a steal. Most cars charge between $180 and $200 for updates. And none of them are that good at maintaining maps. I upgraded the maps on one of my cars and they were still missing roads that had been built 3 years ago.
  • akeiyakeiy Member Posts: 22
    Thank you! I mean what do you feel about the three styles. I also checked the information on website. But I think your feelings are more real.
    GLS is Base Model
    SE is a sport tuned Model
    Limited is the top Model.
    Hyundaiusa.com shows the differences.
    I have a hold on a Limited which has more features.
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    Wow. People are cross-shopping TSX to Sonata?!

I'd say Hyundai has come a long way indeed.

Even a year ago that would have been considered absurd.

I think that in many ways the TSX is a better car, but it lists--what--something like 7k more comparably equipped?

I'm guessing the hyundai people are psyched. They wanted people to switch from Accord and Camry to their car, but it looks like they're once in a while getting people even higher up the car food chain...
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • midas69midas69 Member Posts: 118
    I think that in many ways the TSX is a better car, but it lists--what--something like 7k more comparably equipped?

It's more like about $5K difference sticker. But it might be close to $7K actually OTD price. And while the TSX might be a better car, it's also a much smaller car. 3" less leg room and almost 2½" less head room in the front. For us large land mammals, the TSX is a small car. I'd need to go up to the TL to be comfortable, and now you're talking close to $10K more.

As someone that owned a 2005 TL, I can tell you, the Sonata is not as good a car. But it's a lot closer to the TL than the 2007 Camry I owned.
  • meikmeik Member Posts: 63
    Most cars charge between $180 and $200 for updates. And none of them are that good at maintaining maps. I upgraded the maps on one of my cars and they were still missing roads that had been built 3 years ago.

That was the main reason that I didn't get Nav package on mine.
  • keithlkeithl Member Posts: 106
    edited April 2010
    SO I have driven Infinit and Acura since 2000 and am tired of paying so much for car, insurance and espeically feul. With gas on it way back well into the $3 ranges I figure it is time to look at options. I drove the 2011 Sonata Limited and was very much impressed. I thin Hyundai nailed this one well. My biggest concern is the Sonata kind of tops out a tad short of wher eI woudl want to be. The Genesis is $13K+ higher comparably equiped and the Azera is out dated. They need to slot somthing into the Azera spot. A loaded sedan that tops out around $35K-$36K. While I loved the Sonata Limited a few things to me need improving on the Limited:
    - The Man Button for HVAC needs to go, can't stand it, cheapens the feel of the interior.
    - The rotary temp dial needs to go, need a digital readout for temp
    - the big round silver control knob on the navi unit for audio seems too cheap and small. Look at Infiniti G knob and button, much nicer.
    - Ride was a big improvement over previous Sonata, but Hyndai needs to hire better suspension tuning people here int he States or from European makers, the Sonata seems to jittery and lacked a real planted feel.
    - Minor gripe, give me a digital readout of tire pressure, not just a a tire low indicator.
    - navi should be another .5-1" bigger.
    - leather felt a little cheaper (plasticy) than I would like
    - prefer a dual exhaust look on a "top model level" car.

What I liked;
    - Navi was repsonsive and crisp
    - sound system was impressive, btu a tad muddy at higher volume
    - seats were good balance or comfort and support (better for me than the Genesis seats)

Maybe they need a Sonata Ultra or ssomething, that might have the upgrades I mention and add say $2K-$3K to the price tag throw in say 18" wheels as well and HDD navi that might help fill the gap between Sonata and Genesis. I really don't count the Azera to me it is a dead product.
  • batch5batch5 Member Posts: 13
    edited April 2010
    Ok, just got the car (Limited; Pacific blue / Gray interior, 23K + TTL) and am probably a bit euphoric....but man this car is an incredible value. The sound system rocks, it looks fantastic both outside and inside, fun to drive..it just has this high end feel to it. As a commuter car this is a perfect mix! Practical and stylish.

You know how (for most people) Apple products just feel right? You can tell that serious thought went into the design in terms of look and usability. I get the same feeling sitting inside the Sonata.

I believe the comparison with the TSX is warranted and valid. Consider: the Sonata is bigger, better MPG, doesn't require premium fuel, bigger trunk, push button, heated rear. TSX has seat memory and power passenger, but I'd much rather have the push button and better MPG. I sat in my sis's TSX and the Sonata Limited holds its own with its interior. Very high quality feel. Now add in the better warranty + cheaper price.. :)

For any of you guys on the fence..test drive one!
  • wolverinejoe80wolverinejoe80 Member Posts: 337
    no way i would pay additional 7k for TSX which is smaller, less MPG, worse warranty. i hate look look of the beak, and frankly it basically is an accord. i lived in london, and TSX has nothing to do with 'luxury'.

and Acura is the most disappointing brand in my recent memory. just look at their line up. honda really did peak 10-15 years ago. everything was a down hill in last 10-12 years.

if you want to pay a premium for a car, i would look at other premium brand. Regal(insignia) actually drives better than TSX.
  • jrjelcid04jrjelcid04 Member Posts: 2
    Did you really just pay 23K for the limited w/out TTL? I thought 25K would be a good deal. The dealership is holding a white limited for me but we havn't started the pricing until it shows in 2 weeks. Would love to hear your deal.
  • syitalian25syitalian25 Member Posts: 303
    They are coming out with a Limited Turbo in late summer for around 30K or so, you could wait for that. Also the Azera is redesigned this year and actually a really nice car (although a bit bland on the outside) but it would be worth taking a look.
  • norm8_lakesnorm8_lakes Member Posts: 41
    Does anyone know when I can get a cargo net for 2011 Sonata Limited.
  • batch5batch5 Member Posts: 13
    edited April 2010
    Yeah, basically did everything over e-mail. I started with the AMEX car buying program:http://amexnetwork.zag.com/main.html, got a quote for about 23.7K from a dealer (I have 5+ dealers in a 30 mile radius or so).

Then asked other dealers to match or beat that, one came with 23.2K. Finally, had my local dealer match that price (23.2K). After the document fee (+$200) and college rebate (-$400) it nets to 23K before TTL.

If the current incentives remain (I believe a $1K to dealer) and you have a lot of dealers in the area I would try to play them off each other. I also made clear that I was buying this week.