Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Hyundai Sonata

Comments

• fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459
    Since you're quoting metric consumptions, I'll preface by saying I'm responding using what applies to the US. Here, auto makers do not get to determine the published fuel economy ratings. The US government's EPA does (see http://www.fueleconomy.gov). While those who drive with a lead foot - lots of harsh acceleration, high-speed highway driving, etc. - may have problems achieving the EPA estimates, if you drive with light or moderate acceleration and don't drive exceedingly fast you can almost always beat EPA estimates. Temperature plays a role (colder = worse) as well as gas quality (regular v. premium, winter v. summer blend, etc.), tire type & inflation, and how loaded/weighed down the car is.

Another factor is engine newness; oftentimes an engine won't return maximum fuel economy until it's been fully broken in. This can take from 2,000-5,000 miles so it's possible your fuel economy will improve even further.

Congratulations on your new Sonata! It sounds like you're already getting more for your money than you hoped for.
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
  • pianotupianotu Member Posts: 10
    Would you be so nice to post a picture of the gray interior you have? Personally I thought the black leather is already somewhat gray-ish looking. From my understanding, the gray leather is actually much lighter in color.

What a great deal you got! Congrats! Did you ask for the specific color/interior combo when you were negotiating? I'm still waiting for the camel interior to become more available before asking for quotes.
  • moontrainmoontrain Member Posts: 83
    Does your car have NAV for that price?
  • batch5batch5 Member Posts: 13
    edited April 2010
    Oops, sorry forgot to mention, no NAV.

Also, will post pics soon but I've seen that pictures don't really do the gray interior justice. Nonetheless will get them up by hopefully today.

We did settle on the color combination beforehand so, yes, we did ask for that when talking to the dealers.
  • moontrainmoontrain Member Posts: 83
    edited April 2010
    No NAV means less $2100. So with NAV it would be $25300. My Limited retailed for $28300 loaded and I am getting for $23550 plus TTL. They are also giving me $4300 for my 05 Elantra in fair condiction.
    Wow..23.5K for a limited with nav...now that is a great deal!
  • yoonnyyoonny Member Posts: 33
    From a person that went from 07 TSX to 11 Sonata LTD, I find Sonata as good as TSX overall and that the price premium on the TSX is not worth it. In terms of long term value, both Sonata and TSX have 3 year residual value of 57% - 58%, depending on what model. That's an indication that Sonata's value will keep up as well as. Plus, Sonata's street price is usually discounted more than the TSX. Also, use of regular gas, higher gas mileage, 10yr warranty for Sonata all adds up if you keep the car for a while.

Although Hyundai's dealership experience may not be as good as Acura's but that's not a dealbreaker.

I've been also getting really turned off by the design direction of Acuras/Hondas and feel that Hyundai/Kia are moving ahead of others and finally becoming the leaders in innovation and design. Pretty impressive.
  • darkhelmet16darkhelmet16 Member Posts: 13
    Anybody in here familiar with the hybrid tax credits that have been going on for a few years? I just realized that the Sonata Hybrid should qualify for the full credit ($3,600 I believe?), but that unless Congress extends the program, you'll have to buy the car by 12/31/10 to be eligible. If I understand correctly, that means that (unless we hear differently from Uncle Sam) there'll be only a small window in December where the Sonata Hybrid will be available and we'll be able to get the tax credit. That might make or break my decision; if the hybrid is priced competitively (which it will be), we might expect to see OTD prices (after the credit) that are actually comparable to the prices we're currently getting for the 2.4 GDI! I'm thinking: MSRP might hit $30k for a loaded Limited, but street price even at introduction should be $1-2k less in many areas, and then if you subtract $3,600 from that... you're right around $24-25k OTD. Oh, and that's with a panoramic moonroof and even better fuel economy than the 2.4 GDI. Is my logic sound? Can we expect Congress to extend the program past 2010, allowing us to wait a little longer for the street price to drop further?
  • jrjelcid04jrjelcid04 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the inputs on the pricing batch! I did some checking again, and found something similar on USAA. If anyone uses that bank they have a car buying service similar to AMEX to prenegotiate a price. I will be going into the dealer today with the following info for a White Limited, Tan interior, no Nav.

MSRP is $26,015 + $385(wheel locks,ipod connector,floor mats) = $26,400 w/o TTL
    USAA price is $23,808 + $330(locks,ipod,mats) - $500 military credit = $23,638 w/o TTL.

That's a $2,762 savings off MSRP. Supposedly, invoice is $24,958.

Hope this helps anyone else shopping. Happy Hunting! :shades:
  • lightfootfllightfootfl Member Posts: 442
    edited April 2010
    I have seen many reports of mileages (MPG), and 0-60 speeds, etc.. but I haven't seen any regarding the top speed of these models. Does anyone know what they are capable (assuming legal ?) of achieving? I don't imagine any of them are going to be running in the 140mph range as are some of the older units, with the 6 cyl. Just wondering, and I know they are only 4 cyl units.
    Thanks for any replies.
    van
  • meikmeik Member Posts: 63
    Well, it is good to see someone who want to compare 2011 Sonata to the upper class cars, Infinity in this case.

I totally can see your point about improvement and agree with some of them. IMO, they don't need a Sonata Ultra, they just need a new base Azera with nice features at nicer price. ;)
    Just encountered what I would call a bad battery. Mine is original, and I just went out to go for an errand type ride, and the only thing that happened is, that old fashioned clicking type sound...seems like waaay old times.. Anyway, my question is, does anyone have any suggestions, regarding a new battery?? ie Name, costs, etc...

Thanks, van
  • gary045gary045 Member Posts: 81
    Consumer Reports rates the Everstart Maxx battery near the top at number 2 and 3 for only $75. Sold at Walmart.

Also a good pick is the Duralast Gold at $90.
  • darkhelmet16darkhelmet16 Member Posts: 13
    I buy Duralast batteries from Autozone; depending on what "level" of battery you get they'll replace it free if it goes bad within 1-3 years (one of mine did, they tried to recharge it and it wouldn't work so they looked up when I had bought it and just gave me a new one to walk out the door with) -- not to mention many credit cards offer "double warranties" that could stretch that out to 2-6 years. I have no idea whether these are better quality batteries, but I'd rather have a mediocre battery with a good (and convenient) warranty than a good battery with a difficult/nonexistent warranty.
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    edited April 2010
    This forum is about the 2011 Sonata. You might want to try the main Sonata forum under "maintainence and repair". You'd probably get a lot more info. I personally like Sears batteries and have good luck with them over the years for replacement but there are so many out there I'm sure everybody has a favorite.
  • denp3denp3 Member Posts: 99
    edited April 2010
    I am going to try and get one thrown in on my deal.
    Also want mud guards. I know I can get mud guards from Shark Racing for $45.00.
    Don't know if they have cargo nets.
    What color exterior and Interior do you have? Just curious.
    What color exterior? Are you happy with the gray interior?
    I have a Harbor Gray with gray interior coming in tomorrow.
    Hope I like the gray interior.
  • gary045gary045 Member Posts: 81
    Now that you mentioned the Diehard Sears battery, also available at Kmart.
    It's rated number 1 if cost is no problem.
    Diehard Platinum costs $190, more than double other very good batteries.

Diehard Gold costs $110 and is rated lower than the $75 Walmart battery in case anyone is interested.
  • pianotupianotu Member Posts: 10
    Thank you VERY MUCH for the pics and fast response! It looks great and it helped answering my question on the difference between black and gray leather interiors. Can't wait to shop for my own!

Happy driving!
  • syitalian25syitalian25 Member Posts: 303
    Very nice pics. I have the SE w/gray interior and the leather seems a few shades darker on my car than on the Limited. Just a thought if anyone is thinking of getting the SE. I am happy with the color, although I would also strongly consider black.
  • akumaakuma Member Posts: 70
    does anyone know why the new 2011 Kia Optima (in SX trim) will be so much better optioned than the Sonata? it will have things like power passenger seat, heated and cooled front seats, memory driver seat, heated steering wheel, HIDs with auto leveling, auto up and down windows for both driver and passenger, air-conditioned and lighted glove box, illuminated door scuff plates (like the Genesis), sun visor extensions, panoramic sunroof, and Microsoft UVO. and it's expected to still be around $1,000 less than a comparable Sonata. and it looks better too IMO.
  • capplacappla Member Posts: 29
    Anyone have any pictures of the SE w/ black interior they can share?
  • norm8_lakesnorm8_lakes Member Posts: 41
  • jparks8jparks8 Member Posts: 19
    To my surprise, when I stopped for coffee at Tim Horton's at 09h00, two couples ad one single male circled my new Sonata 2011 for a better look. One couple came to my table to ask me questions. And, I bought a Harbour Grey car so it wouldn't be noticed in hopes that the thieves would steal someone's red sports car rather than my car.
  • shabadoo25shabadoo25 Member Posts: 232
    If you like that option package and the looks better, buy one.

It does not look better than the Sonata IMO.
    edited April 2010
    Where are you getting the info about the Optima's features? I saw one at the NY Auto Show and I can tell you it had nearly none of those features except maybe one-touch down windows and some basic stuff like that. Definitely no cooled seats or heated steering wheel on any models I've seen. Hyundai/Kia is generous, but I doubt they are offering all those features for $25K with the same engine from the Sonata. And it also definitely does not look better IMO, although not a bad looking car either the Sonata is gorgeous. It seems that the Optima basically has most of the features as the Sonata, for about the same price.

Cars.com
    The 2011 Optima continues Kia's recent trend of offering a lot of standard features, such as power windows, dual exhaust, 16-inch steel wheels, air-conditioned glove box, tilt/telescoping steering wheel, USB, Bluetooth and steering-wheel controls. If you get an LX with automatic transmission, cruise control and an eco-driving reminder are added as standard.

The EX trim adds 17-inch alloy wheels, fog lights, heated side mirrors, chrome and body-colored door handles, UVO entertainment system, rearview camera, push-button ignition, dual-zone climate control with rear vents, auto-dimming rearview mirror and auto up/down front windows.

SX adds auto-leveling high-intensity-discharge headlights, LED rear taillights, rear spoiler, side sills, 18-inch black alloy wheels, leather seats, upgraded LCD gauge cluster, steering-wheel paddle shifters, and metal pedals and door scuff plates.
    You are right about that, I should have gone to that site, dunno why I didn't think about it. Guess frustration and old ? age had something to do with it. Sorry,
    van
  • poodog13poodog13 Member Posts: 320
    And, I bought a Harbour Grey car so it wouldn't be noticed in hopes that the thieves would steal someone's red sports car rather than my car.

Wow, selecting color based on likelihood of theft? Time to either move or invest in a Lo-Jack!
  • garcia81garcia81 Member Posts: 5
    I have the same car white and black i am loving everyday more verynice and good looking car!!!
    edited April 2010
    gary, darkhelmet, m6user, and ?? others

Thanks to everybody for all the replies. I truly appreciate it. I just haven't had anything like this happen in years, and I guess it just really rattled me. I will certainly check out each of these sites that were offered, especially that Walmart one, mostly because of the $$$$ Also appreciate the comments re the AutoZone & warranty, and the credit card thing too, I hadn't even thought about that. That is one of the problems of being on a fixed, albeit low retirement income, and being semi-handicapped too.
  • caseybrucaseybru Member Posts: 47
    I received a call yesterday from my dealer [ Sac. Ca. ] that the cargo net and wheel locks had came in for my 2011 GLS. He shipped them yesterday by UPS and said I should receive them today. They were part of the options [ carpeted floor mats, iPod cable ] my dealer threw in. Anyone know how to increase sound to door chimes?? I am hard of hearing and can barely hear them even with hearing aids on. That and the b horn not sounding are my only problem.
    edited March 2010
    KIA MOTORS DEBUTS ALL-NEW 2011 OPTIMA AT NEW YORK INTERNATIONAL AUTO SHOW
    Midsize Sedan Offers a New Level of Style and Performance Features from Kia
    Three all-new powertrains, including turbo and Kia's first-ever hybrid offer class- leading power and fuel economy
    Segment-leading premium amenities and technology features

NEW YORK, April 1, 2010 – Kia Motors America (KMA) today globally unveiled the all-new 2011 Optima midsize sedan at the New York International Auto Show. Arriving in showrooms in early fall, the next generation Optima continues Kia's design-led transformation while revealing a completely new and stunning design language for Kia, highlighted by a dynamic and streamlined profile that conveys elegance and athletic confidence from every angle. Optima's groundbreaking spirit continues under the hood and inside the cabin with the introduction of three new powertrains – including the brand's first-ever hybrid in the U.S. (available in 2011) – which deliver class-leading power1 and fuel economy while the latest technology features and luxury amenities are available at the touch of a button or a simple voice command...

...Available in three trims, LX, EX and SX, the 2011 Optima offers numerous standard features. The LX includes dual exhaust with chrome tips, solar glass, outside mirror turn signal indicators and 16-inch steel wheels fitted with 205/65R16 tires. Upgrading to the EX offers standard fog lights, heated outside mirrors, exterior chrome/body-color door handles along with 17-inch alloy wheels with P215/55/R17 tires. Moving up to the athletic SX adds HID headlights with auto leveling, LED rear combination lights, unique front grille design, rear lip spoiler, sculpted side sills, aero wiper blades, red brake calipers and 18-inch black machined finish alloy wheels furnished with P225/45R18 tires, achieving a true performance look.

Luxuriously Equipped Interior

From the moment the door opens, Optima presents an immediate sense of a driver's car. The instrument panel is contoured toward the driver to suggest a cockpit feel with precise gauges and controls for an overall sport performance experience without sacrificing comfort or roominess. Paddle shifters behind the steering wheel convey that Optima is built for people who are passionate about cars. A high console with a short shifter adds to the cockpit perception while an available panoramic sunroof provides an open-air feeling. Offering occupants both space and comfort with a number of standard convenience features, the sedan's chic cabin unifies with the exterior design by welcoming its passengers with lean and ergonomic seat design and effective storage throughout. Modern standard features such as six-way adjustable driver's seat with power lumbar support, illuminated vanity mirrors and a trip computer further expand the cabin's luxurious qualities.

In addition to offering a comfortable cabin, impressive technology features also come standard throughout, including an AM/FM/CD/MP3/Sat audio system with SIRIUS® Satellite Radio capabilities with three months complimentary service. Also standard on all trims are auxiliary and USB audio input jacks for connecting with MP3 players and Bluetooth® wireless technology connectivity with steering wheel-mounted voice activation controls to enable hands-free operation for compatible mobile phones.

Additional standard interior features include a tilt/telescopic steering column, power door locks, power windows, sun visor extension and an air-conditioned glove box. Stylishly appointed cloth seats provide comfortable seating while a 60/40 split-folding rear seat offers multiple seating and cargo arrangements depending on driver and passenger needs. Optima LX with automatic transmission features cruise control and an active EcoMinder® indicator for optimal fuel efficient driving.

Optima EX comes well-equipped and offers premium standard features, including the UVO powered by Microsoft® infotainment system with rear-view camera, push button-start ignition with smart key, dual-zone automatic air conditioning with rear vents, a leather-wrapped steering wheel and shift knob, auto-dimming rear view mirror with Homelink® and compass, auto light control, driver and front passenger automatic window up/down and eight-way power driver's seat, lighted glovebox, rear reading lamps, floor mats and chrome door handles.

For consumers looking for even more sporty appeal, the Optima SX adds unique black leather woven seat trim, black interior trim with carbon insert film and metal accent, Supervision™ meter cluster with LCD display, center fascia and meter housing, soft trim with French seams, steering wheel paddle shifters, metal pedals and lighted metal door scuff plates.

Available upgrades for the Optima EX and SX trims include a power panoramic sunroof, leather seat trim, memory driver's seat, heated and cooled front seats, heated rear seats and a heated steering wheel for additional interior refinement. Luxuriously appointed features, including an Infinity® 5.1 surround sound audio system with HD Radio®, and eight speakers delivering in excess of 500-watts of system power and voice-activated navigation system with a seven-inch screen enhance the cabin for audiophiles or those who seek the latest superior quality technology for a modern driving experience...

full press release : http://www.autoblog.com/2010/04/01/2011-kia-optima-new-york-2010-live-reveal/
    you might have to click on the button that says show press release
    Picking up my Harbor Gray Limited tonight.
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    Nice, and a lot off those items are first for the category. Didn't see anything about price for the SX though with all those amenities. You mentioned $1000 below the Sonata, did you see prices listed somewhere or are you kind of going on past pricing practises?
  • tuckerdogtuckerdog Member Posts: 29
    I'm new to these & the push button start/stop. So what happens should the battery in the proximity device go dead? I understand there is a hidden key. I guess that will get you in the door. But how do you get the car started? I asked that of two different salespeople & both told me the battery won't go dead????? That sure sounds like BS. Or has some miracle battery been discovered?

Tuckerdog1
    edited April 2010
    yes :P

historically, Kia models are noticeably cheaper than their Hyundai counterparts. for instance the Sorento is basically the Kia version of the Santa Fe but priced almost the same as the Tucson, which makes me wonder how cheap the Sportage is going to be. the Optima was usually priced between the Elantra and the Sonata, and was sized and equipped somewhere in between those two as well. the outgoing Optima starts out under $18,000 and edmunds actually even has a price of $18,195 out for the 2011 LX, although i don't know where they got that figure from or how accurate it is.

i think there's just a little bit too much price overlap between Kia models (Rio/Forte/Optima/Amanti and Soul/Sportage/Sorrento).
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    RE 2173

But in the past, Hyundai has offered better rebates that KIA, often making the "comparable" Hyundai less expensive.
    On the new Sonata, the smart key has a portion that comes out and is a physical key (there is a physical key hole on the driver's door and the trunk) so you can get in the cabin. Then, if you put the smartkey in a little slot in the center console it will allow the car to start even if the smartkey is dead (I think it reads the key the same way as automated toll tags such as EZPass or Sunpass with RFID). If the car is dead, it will need to be jumped or charged, which is the same as with a standard key (we have all heard that dreaded "click click click click" noise).
  • dahm21dahm21 Member Posts: 3
    Just picked up my pacific blue/gray leather limited for $23740- love it but noticed today (have 900 miles on it now) that around 60 mph+ I hear a rattle/squeak in the middle console and not sure what it is. Its almost as if someone thru some rocks in there and I can hear them move around. Has anyone else experienced this? I will bring it by tommorrow to the dealership to check it out.

Thanks
  • keithlkeithl Member Posts: 106
    So the 2011 Optima has better features than a Sonata? Now that is down right nuts. The Sonata should have the HID, LED tails and 500 wat system not the Optima!
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    Well, Kia says they have "the power to surprise"--I guess even their sister company.

The Optima will be made in Georgia:

http://www.kia.com/#/kmmg/
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • tuckerdogtuckerdog Member Posts: 29
    Thanks syitalian,

Wonder why the salespeople don't seem to know this.

Tuckerdog1
  • quebec10quebec10 Member Posts: 2
    I'm waiting for my new 2011 Sonata Limited with nav (venetian red exterior with camel interior) expected for the 20th of April. My question for you -- is it possible to see a music video on the nav screen using my iPod Touch or even to see photos from my Sony camera using the USB port?
  • brdesignbrdesign Member Posts: 3
    Does your new 2011 Sonata Ltd also have Navigation? I'm trying to find one w/pearl white exterior, camel leather interior & nav and the dealers around me say its not a possibility. Where did you buy your car from?
    Thank you!!
  • gary12gary12 Member Posts: 6
    If the battery goes dead there is a slot in the center arm rest compartment you use to put the key fob in. I had a hard time finding it because the picture in the owners book was not too clear.

Gary
  • cmunizcmuniz Member Posts: 604
    I just picked up my Pearl White Limited w/Nav and camel interior on Tuesday, so they are being made. They just started to arrive at dealers within the last week or so. I didn't realize the Limited was available in Red, but I hope it will be since it is a nice color, too. I live in the Dallas - Ft Worth area, Tx.
  • andyfromvaandyfromva Member Posts: 79
    I just picked up my Pearl White Limited w/Nav and camel interior

That's a beautiful color combination. I have black with a gray interior but, after seeing the pearl white with camel, my wife has decided that she wants those colors in her next car - whenever our 03 Civic bites the dust (which won't be for a while I hope).
  • brdesignbrdesign Member Posts: 3
    Thank you so much for your post! That is great news, because Hyundai corporate has been no help at all!! And I almost consider getting another car because of them!
    I may just have to drive down to Texas to pick mine up!
    Thanks again. :)
  • busterbritbusterbrit Member Posts: 27
    Sometimes the caller I'd on the car display shows first call I made or received for all future calls until I restart the car or bluetooth. The first time I thought it was my wife calling but it was a client. The phone caller I'd works fine but the car display shows the old caller I'd.

Will they be able to fix something like this?