Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Hyundai Sonata

Comments

• syitalian25syitalian25 Member Posts: 303
    I have the SE with 6450 miles, about 60% city, 20% mountain, 20% highway driving.

I have been getting about 26 mpg, but I hit the gas a lot. If you are easy on the gas you can get way more. They are not lying about the highway mpg, if the road is relatively flat and you are just cruising along around 75, you can get 40+ mpg for a highway only trip.
  • snamsnam Member Posts: 11
    That is a great price!
    Would you mind sharing your location and dealer?
    I am in southern California and the dealer is Hyundai Commerce.
    It seems the OTD varies a lot depending on the location.
    I hope I can find a deal like yours in this area.
    Thanks.
  • keyman2keyman2 Member Posts: 78
    Did anyone buy the Sonata with Radiant Silver,it looks great on pictures.I've been having trouble coming up with a great color for this car?I'm going to purchase this car by next month.
  • shabadoo25shabadoo25 Member Posts: 232
    I didn't buy a silver one, but I test drove it. The classiest colors are black, silver, white and pacific blue IMHO. You can't go wrong with any of those.
  • mexjohnmexjohn Member Posts: 74
    Congratulations Larry. That's a great price. How much were the doc fees on that? I could have done $699 better if there were so many rip offs added on.
  • dash5dash5 Member Posts: 421
    I saw a black limited in the local supermarket parking lot yesterday. Beautiful car, but I noticed the tailpipe. When I go to Hyundai's website, here: http://www.hyundaiusa.com/sonata/ and drag the car so I'm looking at the back, I dont see a pipe sticking out. The one I saw yesterday had a small little dinky pipe visible from the back pointing down. I dont remember ever seeing that on these cars.

So I guess my question is, can you see the actual pipe or not? Looks much better obscured imo. I know the SE has the dual and that looks great.
  • schdyschdy Member Posts: 233
    I'm getting approx 33% better gas mileage on my SE than I got on my 6 cylinder 2006 Sonata and with no lack of power. I'm very satisfied to date.
    What color did you buy?I was told by a dealer the darker colors ,you can't see the body moldings that make this car so beautiful?I'm still looking at the Silver,I love White but I owned a White car for a long time?
  • denp3denp3 Member Posts: 99
    I think my Limited has a chrome tip. I will have to make sure and respond back.
    I love my Harbor Gray
  • mtnman1mtnman1 Member Posts: 431
    I did test drive a 2009 Sonata several times back when I was looking at buying a new sedan. The Sonata just wasn't quite as good in ride, comfort, and interior quality. I was speaking about the 2011. I don't plan on purchasing a new vehicle for several years to replace my Fusion which I do love by the way. I am just someone that probably should lease so I can always have the latest and greatest. I really think the new Fusion is fantastic as well. As far as being in for service, I'm not sure what you were indicating here? I have had zero problems after 20000 miles. I have a 6 year old loaded Mercury Mountaineer Luxury AWD V8 which we bought new that has been a very reliable vehicle and of course is a ford product. I gave my daughter my 2003 Hyundai Sonata LX V6 when I bought the fusion. Had to have the entire engine replaced at 6600 miles (yes that's 6600 miles). I believe Hyundai has come a long way since then and would not have any qualms in buying another one. In fact, when we replace the Mountaineer in a couple of years, the Santa Fe will be on our list along with the Chevy Equinox and the 2011 Ford Edge which is supposed to be a beautiful vehicle. We will be down sizing our vehicle size since our youngest is going away to college the year after next and a smaller crossover will be all we need.
    2012 Highlander Limited AWD V6 and 2015 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE
  • skiatlskiatl Member Posts: 20
    edited April 2010
    I bought the Radiant Silver with gray leather interior....I think it looks very classy...love the car so far. :)

imageSee more Car Pictures at CarSpace.com
  • skiatlskiatl Member Posts: 20
    edited April 2010
    The single tailpipe is chrome and not very visable. Here is a pic of mine.
    imageSee more Car Pictures at CarSpace.com

I do wish the limited came with the dual exhaust...makes it look so much better from the rear.
    Sorry to hear about your trouble with the 2003 Sonata LX, at least it happened under warranty. I had a 2004 Sonata GLS with 150,000 miles and for the most part it was very reliable and never needed major service. Fords and Hyundais have both come a long way since then, I'm glad to say. I guess sometimes you just run into bad luck sometimes.
  • mtnman1mtnman1 Member Posts: 431
    Yes it was under warranty and Hyundai was very good about taking care of things. I had been hearing a clicking sound coming from the engine compartment for about 500 miles or so. I took it in to the dealer. After waiting about an hour or so the service advisor came out and told me that they were ordering me a brand new engine. I was in a state of shock and a little angry. I couldn't believe that my brand new car was already messed up. I had taken a big chance buying a Hyundai in the first place after looking at Honda Accord, Nissan Altima, and Toyota Camry. The thing that really impressed me was that Hyundai didn't try to sweep things under the carpet. They came right out and told me what the problem was. They gave me a Santa Fe to drive for free during the 2 weeks my car was out of commission. My daughter has been driving it for the last 1 1/2 years and it now has 64,000 miles on it and seems to be in good shape. No major problems since the engine failure.
    2012 Highlander Limited AWD V6 and 2015 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE
    Very nice! I love the silver.
  • moontrainmoontrain Member Posts: 83
    edited April 2010
    Just picked up my car and this color looks great with the sun hitting it.Had the windows tinted now I'll take it and have some better wood grain put in. The black grain looks bad. If someone can tell me how to post pics I will. I think this car is just as fast as my 2005 Sonata GLS with the 6 cyl.
    Ok thank you, that's what I was expecting not what I saw on the black one. Not sure what hers was like that. Silver looks fantastic by the way congrats.
    edited April 2010
    I had the 2004, it is noticeably faster I'd say. The torque is only slightly higher (6 more actually in the SE) but that extra 28 HP it not just a number - I can feel it.
    Hello
    That color looks beautiful,good luck with your new car.There's so many silvers out there but still it looks great thanks I think I may buy it in Silver or White?
    Can you put a picture of your car so I can see it?
  • jsmit86jsmit86 Member Posts: 116
    Hey moontrain. Please post details if you put in wood trim. I am considering doing the same,
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    I've got an '05 GLS SV (170HP v6). It's acceleration is fine by me. I figured the '11 with 198 HP would have to be quicker.

In fact, if I had to replace my '05 Sonata last year, I probably would have opted for the '10/'09 Sonata Limited 4 cyl, rated at 5 more HP than the 2.7L V6.

Good luck with your new one. :) Wish my finances would allow me to consider a new one. But, then I might not anyway since my car has been trouble free and has low mileage.
  • wolverinejoe80wolverinejoe80 Member Posts: 337
    I have the SE with 6450 miles, about 60% city, 20% mountain, 20% highway driving.

I have been getting about 26 mpg, but I hit the gas a lot. If you are easy on the gas you can get way more. They are not lying about the highway mpg, if the road is relatively flat and you are just cruising along around 75, you can get 40+ mpg for a highway only trip.

thanks. i'm gonna keep all the scores! maybe there should be a real world mpg section somewhere. can't find any...
  • 04sport04sport Member Posts: 6
    well,I have ask them for it for free ,am i have been looky
  • moontrainmoontrain Member Posts: 83
    jsmit86:

I will post pics if someone can tell me how to do it.
  • larry134larry134 Member Posts: 40
    Could you please decode this message!
    snam
    Yes it is a great price. I think there are better deals on the east coast than the west. But look at it this way, you guys have the great weather while we deal with the cold and snow, everything equals out in the long run.
    Keyman2
    I bought the Radiant Silver with black interior last week , believe me it looks much better than any pictures or the brochuere!!
    mexjohn
    Thank you. My doc fees were $45.00. One of a few good things about New York!
    No rip offs at this dealership. Good luck
    Larry
  • deli52deli52 Member Posts: 1
    My Droid keeps disconnecting and reconnecting to my 2011 Sonata Bluetooth. Calls are cut off within 20 seconds. Has anyone else had the same issue and if so have you found a solution?
  • stancostanco Member Posts: 27
    As a current owner of a 2009 genesis, I recently purchased a 2011 Sonata limited w/ nav for my wife. Living in the metro NY.. area the car is subject to parking abuse
    so I had self color molding to protect the sides installed $200 [note hyundai provides none !] Now I find they do not provide a front license bracket either.... so the plate is applied directly to the painted bumper, just looking for someone to back up and grind the metal plate into the bumper causing major damage. the Genny has a bracket provided n/c. I have not yet figured how to protect the rear bumper,but I will.
    Please anyone with similar problems pls. let me know,thks.
    Stan
  • andyfromvaandyfromva Member Posts: 79
    We all agree that the 2011 Sonata is a great car - a striking appearance and better features than the competition. And I hear they're selling well. But I've seen only three in the almost 2 months I've owned my car. One black one (like mine), one white and one gray.

I mainly drive around the Washington DC suburbs and go up to New Jersey every couple of weeks. You'd think I would have seen more than three at this point.

Maybe they're not selling as well as I'd heard. Perhaps Hyundai ought to advertise better.
    I have the 2011 SE and a Droid but haven't been having this problem.. that is strange. I would try it with another phone so you can narrow down which device is causing the problem - the phone or the car.
  • shabadoo25shabadoo25 Member Posts: 232
    They sold 18,000 last month in a recovering economy. Not bad. I have seen 4 out there in the Atlanta area.

It will take awhile before they are more omnipresent.
    In the first two weeks I got it (took delivery 2/19) I only saw one other 2011 Sonata.. in this past week alone I have been averaging 1-3 a day so I can tell they are definitely selling more and more as time goes on. Over the weekend I went to pull into a parking spot as a car in the adjacent isle did the same thing, when we stopped it was like looking in a mirror!! Except he had the Limited - I have only seen one other SE, in red, which personally I didn't think was the most flattering color.
  • fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459
    Since the front bumper is curved, mount to one side instead of in the center. The bumper has to allow for it, of course. But consider mounting the license plate towards the passenger side of the center. Driver-side may still be prone to being hit by people parallel parking but the passenger side should rarely be tapped that way.
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
  • stancostanco Member Posts: 27
    thanks, but not a fix besides ugly off center, I'll take a pass on this one
  • targettuningtargettuning Member Posts: 1,371
    Auto manufacturers have long provided "designed to fit" front license plate frames to use in states that have front and rear plates. Living in PA I don't have that potential problem (rear plate only) but with many recent new cars I have bought I found the unused bracket/frame in the trunk..or in the case of the 2 last generation Santa Fe's we bought in the cargo area. The last new car we got was a 2006 Honda Civic purchased in Maryland ( a 2 plate state) and the dealer installed the extra bracket on the front as a matter of course I guess. Fortunately Honda designed this frame to be installed without drilling holes in the bumper ...I just added a Honda "H" plate in the front. Anyhow, Hyundai must have provided for those who need a front plate in the form of a specifically designed frame for the 2011 Sonata. Oh, a friend has a very nice 1957 Mercury originally from Nebraska, another 2 plate state, and guess what? it has a Ford front plate frame.
  • andyfromvaandyfromva Member Posts: 79
    I saw a white one in downtown D.C. this afternoon.
  • j2jj2j Member Posts: 147
    "I mainly drive around the Washington DC suburbs and go up to New Jersey every couple of weeks. You'd think I would have seen more than three at this point.

Maybe they're not selling as well as I'd heard. Perhaps Hyundai ought to advertise better."

The Sonata has only been available for about a month and a half w/ probably 24-25K currently on the streets in the whole of the United States - give it some time (sheesh!).

As for advertising, I don't know how anyone could miss all the commercials on TV; and due to the Sonata being one of the most researched cars on the net, methinks that Hyundai's ad campaign for the Sonata is doing fine.
  • mexjohnmexjohn Member Posts: 74
    I have not had THAT problem, but after putting in a Lojack unit, I had to reconnect manually each time I left the car and got back in. Solution was to delete the phone and re-pair it, then Solara connected automatically as before. I'm in and out of the car all night working, so it was a problem.

Maybe this will work for you. Re-pair the phone after deleting it.
  • travelady605travelady605 Member Posts: 13
    I have now been waiting now since Feb for a red ltd with nav.....trading a 2004 LX. Has any one seen one in the PA/NJ/NY area ?
    They are advertising alot in NJ/Philly area but can't egt the limited only GLAs...it's already been 2 months an getting tired of waiting while I just soend over $ 1000 on repairs on my 2004 LX with 110K miles.time for a trade it.
  • jparks8jparks8 Member Posts: 19
    With the low USA dollar, I suspect, Hyundai is shipping much of their product to Canada. My local dealer has had one of each colour in front and centre for a month. They also had one of each model as well. They probably have another dozen in the lock-up. If you don't mind the temperature in C and the larger numbers on the speedometer in km/h, you may want to look north of the border. They are selling for the MSLP and if you like you can finance for 2.6%. When I purchased my manual they had a Black manual and Harbour Grey manual in stock and said they could get any colour in 24 h.
    I said I would check my Limited.
    It does have a chrome tip.
    Has any one seen one in the PA/NJ/NY area ?

I live in NY and go to CT every weekend, I have seen them frequently. I saw one on the way home today - a black one right near my house. Didn't catch the trim but it looked nice.

With the low USA dollar, I suspect, Hyundai is shipping much of their product to Canada.

There are plenty in stock at the dealers, but only 25,000 or so have been sold total so they are certainly not as common yet as a Honda Accord or Nissan Altima, which have been on sale for years. For the short amount of time they have been out, I have been seeing a relatively good amount on the road.
    Just went to look at them today, the dealer said he's getting in a Red Limited with Camel interior and Nav this month some time. Try Lynnes Infiniti in NJ. Bloomfield I think.
    just contacted them as they sell below invoice....hopefully it won't be much more of a wait.
    Thanks for checking! I saw them today in the dealership, looks great. Not sure what was up with the one I saw in the parking lot. Appreciated.