Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2011 Hyundai Sonata

Comments

• Options
    mexjohnmexjohn Member Posts: 74
    edited May 2010
    I guess horn honking is an accepted social activity in some quarters, and rude in others.

Guess you don't drive much then. It's not a question of rude when someone is changing lanes into your path or into your car.

As part of my job I drive a lot at night, and quite often this happens because someone isn't paying attention or can't see my car because of a blind spot.

If they can't hear my horn, and I am unable to slow to get out his / her way, what do you suppose is going to happen?

Horns are put on cars for a reason and that's mostly for safety. This puny Moped horn doesn't do much for that.
  • Options
    jlflemmonsjlflemmons Member Posts: 2,242
    In the Austin area a horn is useless as most drivers have their stereo's cranked up and are screaming into their cell phones. :mad:
  • Options
    schdyschdy Member Posts: 233
    I just received a call from Hyundai and they have not received any power steering problems related to safety reported by owners or Dealers. They asked that anyone with such to please contact them at:

Hyundai Motor America
    Consumer Affairs
    10550 Talbert Avenue
    P.O. Box 20850
    Fountain Valley, CA 92728-0850
    714-965-3000
    Toll free: 1-800-633-5151
    Fax: 714-965-3861
    E-mail: cmd@hma.service.com
    Web site: http://www.hyundaiusa.com

In addition I called the National Transportation Highway Safety at 1-888-327-4236
    and they have no complaints filed in regard to the 2011 Sonata for a power steering problem.
    Based on the above my fears of driving my new SE are relieved and my son will now procede with his lease of a new GLS.
  • Options
    tuckerdogtuckerdog Member Posts: 29
    Just received the mud guards from Shark Racing. No mounting hardware ( screws ) in the box.Those of you that have ordered them earlier, did you get mounting screws? Not a huge deal, but an unnecessary trip to the depot, for screws they may not have, kinda took the wind out of my sails.

Tuckerdog1
  • Options
    denp3denp3 Member Posts: 99
    edited May 2010
    You don't need any.
    You need to use the existing screws on the car.
    The mud guards fit very nicely.
  • Options
    I used the original mounting holes and screws that are already on the car. Perfect match. Get an offset ratchet screwdriver and the rest is easy.
  • Options
    tuckerdogtuckerdog Member Posts: 29
    Thanks,

Cars not here right now. Didn't know screws were already there.

Feeling better already.

Tuckerdog1
  • Options
    skdriverskdriver Member Posts: 9
    I just received my mud guards from Shark Racing today (Toronto). You don't need any hardware, you simply reuse the screws already in the fenders ( the holes in the mudguards match the ones in the fenders) remove 3 at the front and 2 + 1 plug on the rear (The plug is under the bottom, gently unscrew the plug part way and pull it out.) attach the mud guards by replacing screws/plugs.

Took me about 35 minutes to replace all 4. You will need a very short screwdriver to replace the rear flaps or remove the wheel.

Good luck!
  • Options
    busterbritbusterbrit Member Posts: 27
    do I need to wax the car right away or with the clear coat is it not needed for a while?

Also I read some stuff about using acrylic paint conditioner vs waxing. But there isn't a lot of info regarding the acrylic paint conditioner. Thoughts?

Thanks!
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Clear coat is paint, which wax protects. If your Sonata is brand-spanking new out of the factory, you might want to wait a few weeks to let the paint cure, but otherwise I'd wax it right away if I were you. That's one of the first things I do when I bring a new car home. :)
  • Options
    bobadbobad Member Posts: 1,587
    Guess you don't drive much then. It's not a question of rude when someone is changing lanes into your path or into your car.

About 10K per year, but I don't get in many emergency situaitons where I need to honk. In fact, I don't even remember what the horns on my vehicles sound like.
  • Options
    curtman1curtman1 Member Posts: 1
    Hello everyone, just wondering if anyone knows if there is an aftermarket or OEM headlight auto shut off module for the 2011 Sonata GL. If so is it an easy install or are we talking dealer or pro install? Thanks in advance for any info...curtman1
  • Options
    keyman2keyman2 Member Posts: 78
    I just received this email form Hyundai forum,read the post.I didn't buy the Sonata yet but it worry's me??read below------------------

The Sonata steering problem I experienced was confirmed by my dealer. They were great... swapped my 2 Sonatas (GLS & SE) out for a Santa Fe (even though they'll have to sell my Sonata as "used" now). They said on new models they get service updates to tweak the programs and will note this steering issue and that an alignment might help. I doubt that as braking did not exaggerate, or "pull" the steering wandering.

For those test driving to find the condition: travel on freeway @ 70 mph and put into cruise control, point straight in lane and lightly let go of steering wheel. My 2 Sonatas (GLS and SE both automatic), consistently wandered immediately to either left or right - but never stayed center. The feeling was actually like a boatfloating or a heavy corss wind that kept the car wavering. I repeated my test on multiple freeway lanes and in different areas to rule out road/pavement issues.

Gosh if the Edmund's test drivers felt it, how could a prev poster say he didn't? hmmm are we driving the same cars? hehe!

I was sorry to lose the fabulous styling of the Sonata. It is one hot car and everything but the steering was good. I would suggest though that the SE's "sport tuned suspension" combined with the 18" low profile tires translates into a terribly bumpy ride that most baby-boomers+ will consider simply an intolerably rough ride. I'd suggest the Limited for a more refined ride.

Happy driving!
  • Options
    Maybe it's not necessary to point out the obvious, but... it's not a good idea to let go of the steering wheel on ANY car when going 70 mph. Or really any speed for that matter. I would be more concerned if the steering pulled one way or the other while holding the wheel. I bet if I tried this test on my EPS-equipped Sentra, it would act similarly. But I think I'll keep my hands on the wheel when on the freeway. :)

If this concerns you, you would probably be better off with a car that does not use EPS. Although non-EPS new cars are getting harder to find. Some have firmer tuning than others, so you might be able to find an EPS car that suits you.
  • Options
    chronochrono Member Posts: 149
    I test drove a GLS last night and the steering felt pretty solid actually. It felt lighter in the parking lot and firmed up on the highway for me. I have sat in the Sonata at the car shows but was overly impressed with the test drive. I think this is my next car. Just hoping there might be some small incentives this summer.
  • Options
    pegasus17pegasus17 Member Posts: 536
    REF: 3029
    I have a 2011 Sonata GLS with PEP2. Love the car; hate the road/tire noise. Very quiet up front, well-isolated engine and wind noise. Perhaps that is why I am hearing a bunch of road or tire noise from the REAR only. Noise varies somewhat with speed but it is driving me crazy. Somewhat muted with the stereo at volume level 12 (or higher). I have not been to the dealer yet but am wondering if something is NOT properly sealed or undercoated in the rear. I noticed the wheel wells are partially coated but mostly plastic. Plus, since this is a GLS, there is a large void in the underbody where the second muffler & associated hardware/piping goes on the SE. Not sure if the LIMITED model has additional sound deadening material but my GLS is too noisy...
  • Options
    trainerusatrainerusa Member Posts: 3
    What is a best lease deal for a new Sonata '10 in MI?
    Please advise
  • Options
    xmechxmech Member Posts: 90
    I would challenge you to find ANY car that can drive straight down a road. There are so many factors, wind, road incline, road surface, other vehicles around you, tire pressures, how fat the driver/passengers are, the torque on the wheel bearings, etc., etc., etc., ...

That said, reading the Edmunds review on the 2011 Sonata confirmed they didn't do anything about the numb steering I experienced test driving a 2010 way back. Very unfortunate. Now that really scared me. More than a little drift as described @ 70 mph would.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I read your post message#2919 on 5/9/2010 as follows:
    I really can't say the salesmen's name but it's Atlantic West Islip,L.I the salemen is the maneger.He offered me Internet price and something else not sure?but I'm going to him in 3 weeks,I'll see if he's on the level. I'm buying extra's like Mud Guards,tinted windows,maybe pinstripes.Good Luck

Just 1 week later and you have purchased 2 Sonatas, checked on the availability of the woodgrain kit and returned both Sonatas for a full refund to Atlantic. Some experience!
    Was the service Mgr my friend Vinnie? He's a really nice guy and when he get's back from Myrtle I will discuss it with him.
    Hope you have better luck with your new purchases.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    What in earth are you talking about are you being stupid!!!!READ THE POSTS THE RIGHT WAY.I never said I bought 2 Sonatas,I'm asking questions and putting my thoughts on a post.that's what a post is there for.I said I like Atlantic Hyundai they gave me a good price compared to other dealers that I been getting the run around.I'm also reading other post on problem with steering and I posted one on this forum. If you can't be helpful and help other people then get off the forum.I'm buying my Sonata in 2 or 3 weeks,I have to be careful $27-$28+ is alot of money for me,I was hit by a car and that's why I'm buying one and I don't want to get hurt.I want to make sure that the Sonata will be a great car for many years.,and Atlantic seems to be the right dealer I hope.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    My apology. I must have misread message 3027. I thought you were posting and supporting the steering problem. I'm glad that you corrected me. And good luck with your new purchase.
    Hopefully you are more responsible and you won't drive 70mph with no hands on the steering wheel. I have the SE and I would never take that risk with any car.
    Again please accept my apology but this reported steering problem has consumed an awful lot of my personal time trying to verify the safety defect with zero results to date. The result was my reading too much into your post.
    The right Dealer is the one you feel most comfortable with.
    In my opinion the 2011 Sonata is one of the safest cars you can drive. That was reinforced by my NY insurance Co.
  • Options
    I listen to the WFAN here in NY and yesterday one of the sports announcers stated that Brad Benson (former NY Giants footbal player) in NJ is the largest Hyundai dealer in the US. Anyone hear or agree with this. I think his adds are a little risqe'
  • Options
    jaimzjaimz Member Posts: 15
    I don't about all these problems I'm reading about....

but, my lmtd is doing great so far:

no steering problem...straight as an arrow
    horn works fine
    quiet ride
    and about 31mpg mixed city and freeway
  • Options
    meikmeik Member Posts: 63
    Same here.
  • Options
    ewg54ewg54 Member Posts: 25
    Mine is doing fine too! :):):):):)
  • Options
    Mine too.
    I think any car at any speed will drift one way or another with the road contours.
  • Options
    bobadbobad Member Posts: 1,587
    I think any car at any speed will drift one way or another with the road contours.

A car's suspension geometry can be set up to hold a straight line on a road that's not perfectly flat, but we probably wouldn't like the way it handles at low speed. Front tire wear would probably be excessive, too.
  • Options
    jlflemmonsjlflemmons Member Posts: 2,242
    The new Tucson uses the same steering set up. We have one, and it is great.

I think one issue some folks may run into on the steering "feel" is that Hyundai uses very fast steering ratios on some of their cars. I will not comment on the Sonata specifically since I do not own one, but I do own a 2010 Tucson and a 2010 Elantra Touring SE. Both have very quick, very precise steering. When I compare either of these to our Blazer with recirculating ball steering, the difference is amazing. When my wife first started driveing the Tucson, she tended to wander a bit in the lane because she wasn't used to such a sensitive response. Now, she loves it!
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    What in earth are you talking about are you being stupid!!!!READ THE POSTS THE RIGHT WAY.

Keyman, I think what happened is that it seemed part of your copied forum message seemed as though it were some of your own words because the text wasn't distinguished. Try this next time: Post your opening part as you did, then, on the next line where you want to post your copied text, click on the B below. Then paste in your copy and click on the B again. That will bold all the text in your copy, and it won't be confused with your own words.
    You can do this line by line if you want to, making a comment, and pasting in something else, making another comment, etc.

I, too, was a little confused at first on your post 3027, reading it a couple of times before I realized most of it was copied text, but this should help avoid that in the future.

Also, I don't think you have a thing to worry about, the Sonata IS a great car.
  • Options
    rexgrexg Member Posts: 27
    I just bought a new 2011 Sonata SE. So far I love everything about the car except for the owners manual and the quick reference. I am looking for more information on one feature related to the smart key. For lack of a better term, there is what I will call a "docking station" for the smart key fob. It is located within the console in a very non-obvious location. There is a small indicator light associated with it. The dealer told me that it was used to recharge the battery in the smart key. I wanted to find out more details about this, but could find nothing in the owners manual about it. The manual does talk about dead battery procedures but says nothing about recharging the battery in the fob, and it says nothing about this docking station. Upon further reflection, I doubt that this docking station is used for recharging the smart key. My guess is that it might be required when the battery is dead in the fob -- you would use the mechanical key to gain entrance, and then you would place the smart key into this docking station in order to start the car. Does anyone have any info on this docking station? Thanks.
  • Options
    Your right.
    The battery is not re chargeable. I believe it uses a CR2032 battery, like in computers.
    The console slot is for starting it if the smart key battery goes dead.
    I think your dealer needs to get their information straight.
  • Options
    I wanted to find out more details about this, but could find nothing in the owners manual about it.

See section 5, page 10 in the *NOTICE box.

My salesman told me the same thing, that it would recharge the batter in the smart key, but I had downloaded the manual beforehand and told him he needed to get up on the information on this car. He said he would get better informed.
  • Options
    Thank You. I'm glad my honest mistake wasn't purely ignorance. Hopefuly we both learned from your post.
  • Options
    greg128greg128 Member Posts: 529
    Well get ready for a Sonata bashing post. Having seen 6 or 7 new Sonatas on the
    road in my area already I think I'll be getting as sick of seeing them as I am of
    seeing the the countless Camrys, Accords and Altimas, but not quite as sick as watching male enhancement commercials.

I think the Sonata styling is going to get old very quickly.
  • Options
    I'll bet not as old, as quickly as the Accord's has. ;)
  • Options
    Thank you for that advise I'll try that next time.I really do love the Sonata.
  • Options
    If you want to say something like that then any car you look at would be boring like the Toyota's Accord,Chevy's Ford etc.Sonata is one beautiful car that will never be dated in time,I've seen the new Buick Regal,it's nice but Sonata blows it away.I have a 1986 Chevy Cavaliar Fastback fixed up in white car looks great and I still get looks and asked what kind of car is that it's nice looking,so your wrong!
  • Options
    rexgrexg Member Posts: 27
    See section 5, page 10 in the *NOTICE box.

Thanks for the pointer! I made the mistake of assuming that this info would logically be placed in section 4 where the smart key functionality is described.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Thanks for the pointer! I made the mistake of assuming that this info would logically be placed in section 4 where the smart key functionality is described.

Now that would just be wrong because it would make sense! They do have a small box in sec. 4 that refers to the sec 5 page 10, but it's easy to miss.

I have edited several user manuals for a Korean tractor company, and believe me, the job done on this manual is far superior to the usual translations, but still could be well-improved.

Don't miss the part about pushing the key in past the detent before pulling it out, or the key could be damaged. It's rather like a smart card on a computer card reader, push in, click, pull out.

Enjoy.
  • Options
    2011limited2011limited Member Posts: 30
    To avoid the hassle... I will keep a fresh 2032 Battery in my wallet. They are thin enough to be kept in a wallet.

Ordered one of these.....nice: http://www.sportwing.com/images/view.aspx?productId=12664
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Thanks for the clarification, mexjohn. There's no real need for hostility... sometimes intended meanings get scrambled in text form, without face-to-face communications. It'd be nice if we could be a little bit more understanding, eh?

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    kenymkenym Member Posts: 405
    If you want to say something like that then any car you look at would be boring like the Toyota's Accord,Chevy's Ford etc.Sonata is one beautiful car that will never be dated in time,I've seen the new Buick Regal,it's nice but Sonata blows it away.I have a 1986 Chevy Cavaliar Fastback fixed up in white car looks great and I still get looks and asked what kind of car is that it's nice looking,so your wrong!

What makes your opinion right and his opinion wrong :confuse:
  • Options
    Personally I think the new Regal is pretty sharp looking, more "buttoned down" than the Sonata, a more conservative look that some people will prefer. But I think both are good looking in their own way.

I am not surprised the 1986 Cavalier gets looks. :)
  • Options
    Where did you order from and how much. Let us know how ease of installation is and post some pics if you can. Thanks!
  • Options
    I think the Sonata styling is going to get old very quickly.

Believe it or not, I actually got your point, or think I did.

Sonata is going to become as popular as the ubiquitous others, and we won't have unique styling for much longer.

I thought it was a clever post myself.
  • Options
    LASHAWNLASHAWN Member Posts: 303
    I have to disagree with you on that statement. I see Accords, Altimas, Camrys and Fusions everyday and none of them make me say "damn that's a nice piece of machinery". I saw a Indigo Blue SE yesterday and a Silver this morning and I was like "damn what an awesome looking piece of machinery". That's the wow factor that the Sonata is getting and will not get old anytime soon.
  • Options
    markleungmarkleung Member Posts: 44
    This is not a post to knock anyone. Just my point of view.

I noticed the Sonata when it was first launched. Honestly I liked its refreshed and smooth styling, but after finding out the only engine is the 2.4 GDI, it kind of fell off the radar for me.

All of a sudden on April 1 the 2.0T was announced. It got me intrigued. Then I looked at the equipment available (some unique in this class), fuel economy, and driving dynamics (to some extent), I find it the perfect replacement for my vehicle.

I view the 2011 Sonata as a spacious mid-size sedan with lots of power (2.0T), almost everything I wanted (Limited with Navi) with great fuel economy (22/34 on regular) at the right price, while having this nice design as a bonus.

Just need to see when the 2.0T will be actually out...
  • Options
    I will keep a fresh 2032 Battery in my wallet

You're not likely to need one for many years.

I'm still using the original batteries in my Toyota's remote, 11 years later!
  • Options
    markleungmarkleung Member Posts: 44
    Just keep one in your car.

I currently have a 2007 Infiniti G35x (from October 2006). I have changed the battery once already, I think about a year ago. As it constantly sends and receives information, it will not last as long as a regular remote control for opening doors.