Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Hyundai Sonata

Comments

• m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    edited May 2010
    I think air is 80% nitrogen and 20% oxygen so replacing the 20% seems to help in maintaining tire pressure. It's easy to poo-poo it unless you've actually tried it. The only thing I can say is that either Costco absolutely has the best valve stems and knows how to seal the rims on new tires better than others or the nitrogen has helped. I have tires that I have absolutely not added one pound of air in the last 18 months and they are still right at the pressures when installed. Each time I check them I just kind of shake my head.

Liike I said, Costco throws it in when they sell you tires so it's a very low cost. I have a third car that is 3 years old and soon will need tires and I have to add air to those about once or twice a year. The replacements will be filled with nitrogen certainly not to race but just to avoid having low tires. It seems that just about everybody that likes to make light of nitrogen seems to be a scientist and knows how it just can't be any good but has never tried it themselves.

The fact that dealers try to rip you off by charging an arm and a leg for nitrogen is not proof that it is bogus. Many things they add are just fine it's just that they charge too much for them. If they only charged $3-$4 a tire it wouldn't be an issue.
  • xmechxmech Member Posts: 90
    A little back up to my previous nitrogen rant:

Car Talk

Straightdope

$100 for a nitrogen fill! Holy inert gasses batman! I'm gonna open a nitrogen shop, and have an oxygen bar next door for while you wait! :lemon:
  • xmechxmech Member Posts: 90
    No harm if they do it for free. To me, I'm gonna check my pressures regularly anyway, unlike most people as it said in my previous link, and just fill with either my $12 compressor I keep in the car, or with my air tank in my garage.

Also, going from the big tires on my Grand Cherokee, to the relatively low profiles on my new Fusion, I hardly have to fill them now, when I had to almost monthly on the Cherokee.
  • larry134larry134 Member Posts: 40
    Isn't it fun driving by gas stations now?
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Although I would be interested to see the list of at least 24 (i.e. "dozens") of places on the 2011 Sonata where owners have reported rattles. That's a LOT of places for rattles to occur, in ANY car! ;)
  • robtroxelrobtroxel Member Posts: 103
    You take a chance when you buy a brand new model..it sure happens with Honda and Toyota's too. I'd wait at least a year for them to sort out the rattles and other bugs..otherwise its you who the last step in the vehicle Quality control.

I have to say the Sonata looks great. I did not think it was a great handler though. The Accord wins in that area. I am glad to see a company like Hyundai take it to Honda as Honda has been a bit out of touch with what buyers want.
  • rysterryster Member Posts: 571
    edited May 2010
    I own a 2011 Sonata GLS with PEP2. 2 weeks old, 730 miles so far. Several rattles have already surfaced over the past 2 weeks.

1. Constant loud, hollow metallic ticking noise from inside driver's door.
    2. Rattle in console from the plastic around the power ports/usb-ipod port
    3. Rattle from upper passenger side dash (not the infamous glove box rattle)
    4. Rattle from rear parcel shelf/deck
    5. Rattle from front passenger door area
    6. Driver's seat "knocks" when weight shifts in it. Moving the seat forward then back again eliminates the knock for a while, then it will come back.
    7. Speaker in driver's door has started to vibrate/buzz with certain bass notes or voices (and the bass is only set to +2)
    8. Driver's door window frame vibrates/buzzes randomly while driving over certain types of pavement

All of the noises have really taken some of the enjoyment out of the car. Some days I don't even want to drive it. Hopefully the dealer will be able to address a couple of the more severe ones at the first service.
  • moontrainmoontrain Member Posts: 83
    I have owned my 2011 Limited for 4 weeks and I cant not find anything wrong with this car. Not even one rattle, that's right I said not even one little rattle. Gas milage is about 30 mpg between city and open road. My 2005 Sonata V6 only gets 25mpg.
    This is my third Hyundai starting in 2005, and I have had no,notta, zerro, problems with any of them. All I have had to do in 5 years is change oil ( dealer does that free for life ) and get one set of tires and front brakes. Great cars.
    Thank you Hyundai for making a really great car.
  • clasiccarguyclasiccarguy Member Posts: 24
    I have found the posters on this forum are far more tolerant about there vehicles and Dealer than I tend to be.

I test drove the 2011 Sonata GL Saturday. I was originally interested in the Limited but the Dealer didn't have one available. We did some high way, some city stop and go and some back roads. Overall I was a little disappointed in the handling of the vehicle. It certainly did not drive or handle as well as it looks. Perhaps the GL is worth the 19+K, But in my opinion not the Limited at 27+K.

But if everybody liked the same vehicle nobody could afford to buy one. so happy motoring everyone
    I have no doubts about the mechanical reliability of my Sonata, just wish for a little more attention to detail in the fit and finish department.

I am also averaging 30mpg in daily driving. Great fuel economy for a 198hp 4-cylinder engine.
  • schdyschdy Member Posts: 233
    I have owned my 2011 Limited for 4 weeks and I cant not find anything wrong with this car. Not even one rattle, that's right I said not even one little rattle. Gas milage is about 30 mpg between city and open road. My 2005 Sonata V6 only gets 25mpg.
    This is my third Hyundai starting in 2005, and I have had no,notta, zerro, problems with any of them. All I have had to do in 5 years is change oil ( dealer does that free for life ) and get one set of tires and front brakes. Great cars.
    Thank you Hyundai for making a really great car.

Ditto for me with my SE.
    If I were you, I would have taken the car in right away, BEFORE you filled out the infamous survey. And told the dealer you would give them good marks on the survey IF they fixed the rattles. A little incentive never hurts.

So that's 8 places (although I wouldn't count the speaker problem as a "rattle")--which is a lot for a new car, but not close to "dozens". In 35 years of buying new cars (including 2 Hyundais), the most rattles I've ever had on a new car was on a 1992 Sentra that had rattles in 3 places. All were fixed by the dealer.
    Maybe if you wouldn't exaggerate any negative thing about the Sonata, people would take you more seriously. The discussion you linked to has at most about 10 rattle places across all people who posted there--not "dozens". And only ONE person (ryster) reported more than two rattles. Most common were the glovebox (which some posters have already fixed) and moonroof. And multiple posters reported the buzzing in the speaker.

There are a total of 16 posts in that discussion, but some people posted multiple times. Out of how many 2011 Sonatas sold to date? Maybe 50,000?
  • 2011limited2011limited Member Posts: 30
    I read that Forum all the time.... and I can not even remember a complaint about rattles.

Just ignore the ignorant bashers... if they don`t like the Sonata..fine. But what the heck are they doing here!
    I am not sure who you are addressing the survey comment to, but I have not received any surveys since purchasing my Sonata. When, or if, I ever do get a survey I may call the service department and mention that I have the rattles and will send my survey back after a successful service visit to repair them.

I also did not use the term "dozens"...that was another poster.

I am kind of hoping that some of the noises go away on their own as the car "settles". In any event, it will not take me too long to put 3,000 miles on the car at which time it will go in for the first service and some of the noises can hopefully be addressed.

Every brand new car I have ever purchased (10 brand new cars over the past 20 or so years) has developed rattles, however this car has developed more in a faster timeframe than any other.
    Did you check that owner's forum? Someone posted a solution to the glovebox rattle that was easy and cheap, and would allow the owner's manual to go back into the glovebox, where God intended it should go. :)
    Here's the link on the Hyundai forums about many Sonata rattle complaints, which should put shabadoo25's credibility 6 feet under, where it belongs: http://www.hyundai-forums.com/t48765-rattles.htm

And her is the link to Hyundai 2011 Consumer reviews.
    http://www.edmunds.com/hyundai/sonata/2011/consumerreview.html
    Rattles do not seem to be a problem by these owners.
  • mexjohnmexjohn Member Posts: 74
    I think my Limited is the first car I've bought that DIDN'T have some small rattles. I haven't heard one, and what a blessing that is for me as I really hate odd, irritating noises in my cars.

That said, I can certainly believe that some folks do have rattles. It happens. That's what the service department and a warranty are about. PIA for sure, but not a catastrophe.
  • windjammerwindjammer Member Posts: 25
    I live in northwest Ohio. The winters get pretty nasty, very cold, snow and ice. My wife has alloy wheels on her car and they wouldn't hold air in the winter. A couple of times a month I would have to put air in the tires. The cost of .50 cents each time was only part of it. When it's below zero and you kneel down in the snow to add the air, It's not all that pleasant. Our dealer suggested the nitrogen and for a cost of $30.00 I never had a problem again with the alloy wheels losing air in the winter.
  • shabadoo25shabadoo25 Member Posts: 232
    Nope. Just a 5-year Hyundai owner with no complaints and minimal problems.

As opposed to you, who doesn't own a Hyundai but loves to post negative spin on them for less than obvious reasons.
  • mikemartinmikemartin Member Posts: 205
    shabadoo25 said: "Nope. Just a 5-year Hyundai owner with no complaints and minimal problems.

As opposed to you, who doesn't own a Hyundai but loves to post negative spin on them for less than obvious reasons."

So the many, many complaints of suspension issues, along with confirmation of this by Consumer Reports and many publications is all to be disregarded because you apparently (and allegedly) didn't have any problems?

Sure, Mr. "please don't say anything remotely critical about Hyundai products even if they're true."
    I consider the complaints from fellow owners to be of interest. The ramblings of a negative nelly with no first hand knowledge means nothing.

I have no idea what would possess someone to go online and slam a product they haven't purchased. It really falls into the "get a life" category.
  • alternatoralternator Member Posts: 629
    Butler Hyundai in Indianapolis is advertising a 20 year/200,000 miles warranty on all the Hyundai automobiles they sell.

I am not in the market for a new car at present, so have not checked into this.

However, I cannot imagine how this could be a bona-fide offer. I would think the execution of this warranty would put a dealer out of business, if not sooner, for sure eventually.

I welcome comments.
    How many people keep a car for 20 years? Also is it just powertrain, and maybe with a deductible? And probably there are strict rules about maintaining the car--might have to have all routine service done at that dealership, for example. Probably not as risky as you might think.
    I consider the complaints from fellow owners to be of interest.

What about a non-owner who informs you of the complaints from fellow owners, especially since you allegedly missed the thousands of complaints posted on the Hyundai forums over the suspension ka-thunk issue, even though you insinuate you are well informed.

Backy and others here who are a lot more credible than you can verify the suspension ka-thunk issue as being a major one.

I could post, verbatim, what at least 5 major automotive publications had to state about it, also.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    edited May 2010
    what is Hyundai doing lately to correct the infamous "ka-thunk" issue in certain suspensions of their new production vehicles, may I ask? Answer in 25 words or less, please.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

iluvmysephia1 said: what is Hyundai doing lately to correct the infamous "ka-thunk" issue in certain suspensions of their new production vehicles, may I ask? Answer in 25 words or less, please.

As far as I know, nothing in most cases, which is what has led to incredible frustration on the part of owners.
    I suggest you view this website and plug-in Hyundai Sonata. I looked at yrs 2006,07,and 08 with no evidence of K-Thunk problems. I'm sure there were some but apparently not that many as evident by the no consumer complaints.

http://www.carcomplaints.com/
  • bobadbobad Member Posts: 1,587
    That's a red herring. The entire premise of the question is wrong. That problem was resolved in the 2006 models, free of charge.
  • craigmricraigmri Member Posts: 243
    edited May 2010
    We are current Hyundai Veracruz owners(love it) and we are impatiently awaiting the Turbo Sonata to be released. Does anyone care to speculate on how this turbo will be packaged and priced?

Curious if they will offer it in a single "sport" package or offer it on multiple trim levels?

How much more will it add to MSRP?

Will it simply be an engine package or will you also get enhanced brakes and suspension to match the extra 70-some-odd horsepower?

Craig
  • kfdmedkfdmed Member Posts: 130
    edited May 2010
    "Though Hyundai hasn't posted acceleration figures, that kind of power should get this midsize sedan to 60 mph in around 6 seconds. At the same time, Hyundai says the Sonata will get 34 mpg on the highway--very decent fuel economy for a fast car.

Although Hyundai talked up the performance characteristics of the powerplant, the Sonata 2.0T gets the same suspension as the base Sonata, without any sport enhancements. The company does claim, due to high-strength steel in the body panels, that all Sonata models get better rigidity than all other midsize sedans.

Likewise, the Sonata 2.0T gets saddled with a six-speed automatic, with no option for a manual. The automatic does include a manual shift mode, with paddle shifters on the wheel, but we don't expect it to overcome torque converter slush."

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-31347_7-20001669-270.html
    First tell us which Hyundai "new production vehicles" have an "infamous ka-thunk" issue. None I've heard about in Hyundai's current models, including the 2011 Sonata.

(25 words. I expect you will adhere to that limit yourself on future posts, re the Kizashi etc. ;) )
    I see my last post about mikemartin was deleted. Whatever.

So this suspension issue was solved in 2008 or earlier and it mostly had to do with 2006 models? What relevance would it have to 2010 and 2011 models?

Do I need to consider that Ford Pintos blew up when rear-ended in the 70s when I go to shop Fusions or Tauruses now?

Give me a break.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    When discussions turn ugly & personal, posts disappear. If you happen to think that someone's a troll, the best option is to ignore them rather than to respond in kind, as doing so only puts your own posting privileges in jeopardy. Just a friendly reminder... it's about the cars, not about what we think of other members.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• clasiccarguyclasiccarguy Member Posts: 24
    If you happen to think that someone's a troll

I am new to Edmunds.forums. What is a troll?.. :confuse:
    Internet trolls are individuals who post on message boards just to cause trouble or to be contrarian for some unknown motive.

Someone who continually blasts a particular car manufacturer with nothing but 3rd hand or hearsay knowledge of their quality would be this site's version of a troll.
  • ral2167ral2167 Member Posts: 791
    As a prospective sonata owner, I don't mind reading posts from non-Sonata owners who may have insight or opinions on the Sonata-- pro or con. Indeed, most times I learn more from those folks than I do from those owners who rave about their car and would never think of bringing up any negative points as if that would suggest there was something wrong in their decision to buy the car.
    And you shouldn't. That's a perfectly valid perspective.

However, when you come here daily for a few months, and see posts under certain names that are over-the-top negative for no apparent reason that can be discerned, it can be puzzling.
    As a prospective sonata owner, I don't mind reading posts from non-Sonata owners who may have insight or opinions on the Sonata-- pro or con. Indeed, most times I learn more from those folks than I do from those owners who rave about their car and would never think of bringing up any negative points as if that would suggest there was something wrong in their decision to buy the car.

You are entitled to your opinion but do you really belive a non Sonata owner who has no intention of purchasing a Sonata will post anything positive. And if he or she has never owned a Sonata how can they knock the car from their own experience.
    I can assure you that I will be the first to post a problem if I encouter one with my Sonata just to get Hyundai's attention. Visit the website I posted earlier titled carcomplaints.com and read what real owners have to say.
    I have a friend of mine who is a Ford salesman and he posts many negatives on all the Asian Forums. Do you know why? ;)
    edited May 2010
    Recall that I asked you to list the "dozens of places" (your words) in which rattles had been reported in the 2011 Sonata. Your comment seemed on the surface to be "going overboard", based on the evidence I've seen on actual owner complaints on rattles, which I already summarized so I won't belabor that again.

Was your comment about the Sonata rattling in "dozens of places" extraordinary, or reasonable, based on the facts? I suppose for you, it's not. Others might disagree.
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    mikemartin, while I respect your right to post both negative and positive comments on any vehicle it does seem disingenuous to only post negative reviews or info you come across. I noticed over on the 2011 Sorento forum here on Edmunds that you just posted a somewhat negative review of the new Sorento while I know for a fact that there are many, many reviews that are very postitive to that vehicle.

If you feel it is your duty to go around to all the Hyundai/Kia forums and post every bit of negative info you can find that is your right but please indicate that that is your mission in life. I find your comments about as boring as those people stating and restating how many Hyundais they've had and that they have had 0 problems. They have such a vested interest I really don't believe them either.

It would be nice if all of us could discuss what we like or don't like about the cars in a mature manner and with some openmindedness. If it's obvious someone has an agenda, just ignore the posts and they will go away. Sometimes I think the only reason they do it is just stir the pot and see how many suckers they can get to jump in. It isn't necessary that everytime someone posts that they have some kind of problem with the new Sonata that the usual crowd chimes in with "Haven't had any problems with mine" etc, etc, etc. You don't see that on other car forums so it makes me wonder why Sonata owners feel they need to defend their car so much. It's just a car, folks....not your firstborn.
    m6user -

If you look at my post on the Sorento, it was merely citing a New York Times review in Sunday's (yesterday's) paper.

I cited that because the 2011 Sorento is brand new, and I thought it could be useful for prospective buyers to at least be aware of it, especially since Edmund's has not yet reviewed the 2011 Sorento.

None of my own commentary was made - zero.
  • craigmricraigmri Member Posts: 243
    Guys,

Kirstie is right. Lets move on and not give credence to those that wish to monopolize a forum with their personal agenda. Mikemartin, say what you have to say then please move on to your next target. Thanks!

Craig
    Just like how you posted the one less than flattering review of the Sonata both here and on the Hyundai forums.

It's curious that you only have an interest in sharing the negative reviews.
  • alternatoralternator Member Posts: 629
    This warranty just seems so outlandish, I was wondering if anyone had come across anything remotely similar to this.

The 3 years or 36,000 mile bumper-to-bumper coverage plus 5 years or 100,000 mile engine and transmission coverage on my new Cobalt in itself seems too good to be true.

I'm curious as to whether the dealers have some way of weaseling out of these new longer warranties?
  • engbertengbert Member Posts: 9
    I have done about 2,500 miles. No rattles. Delighted with the car - a Limited.
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Member Posts: 2,242
    I know for a fact, having seen the car and talked with the mechanic and shop foreman, that a 2006 Sonata in the shop with ~50K miles had a timing belt tensioner fail, dropping the belt and busting valves, was getting a complete rebuild under warranty.

I have also seen the V6 out of a Santa Fe break a cylinder sleeve at 48K, and get a brand new engine at no cost.

Cannot speak for every dealer out there, but the one I deal with has been good with me on the few warranty items I have had in my Hyundai over the years.
  • moontrainmoontrain Member Posts: 83
    mikemartin:

You need to read post # 3175,that will give you more to talk about. This sums up Hyundai real good.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    edited May 2010
    In general, we expect conversation in this topic to focus on the Sonata, rather than Hyundai in general. If you want to talk about Hyundai as a company, our Auto News board will welcome your comments. We do also anticipate that members WILL add some of their own comments, rather than just providing links to other resources. Our Forums thrive because of members' shared experiences.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• bobadbobad Member Posts: 1,587
    I know for a fact, having seen the car and talked with the mechanic and shop foreman, that a 2006 Sonata in the shop with ~50K miles had a timing belt tensioner fail, dropping the belt and busting valves, was getting a complete rebuild under warranty.

Someone's blowing smoke, because 2006 Sonatas have a lifetime timing chain, not a belt.

The warranty is real. I have a 2006, and haven't spent a penny on it. Only problems were a brake light switch and sun visor spring (fixed free), but if something major ever does break, I have confidence it will be fixed without charge.