Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Hyundai Sonata

Comments

• spyderonespyderone Member Posts: 54
    If you have no interest in buying a Hyundai product then why are you so concerned about what prospective buyers are purchasing. Do you post on all model forums such as Ford, GMC, Porsche, VW, BMW, etc. and give your opinion on those models as well, or do you have an axe to grind with Hyundai. I read about Hyundai because it or the KIa Optima will probably be my next purchase, and I sold Hyundai products in 2002. If you want to pick on manufacturers there are many to choose from because there are no perfect or flawless automobiles. Take MINI for example. Most people I talk to love them with no problems. I bought a new Clubman in March 2008 and in December 2008 MINI bought it back from me due to problems that could not be repaired (software problems). The point of this is I am not hanging out on MINI website degrading the product. I know I had a dud and I know MINI makes great cars and I would entertain the thought of buying another one.
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Member Posts: 2,242
    edited May 2010
    My mistake. I think I got the year wrong because I know the earlier V6 used a belt, but off the top of my head I cannot remember when they changed over. Then again, maybe it was a CHAIN tensioner. I know they used those in the buick V6, because I had one fail. Got lucky in that it made a bunch of noise and I got it shut down before it jumped timing.

Yup, just went back and checked the shop manual on a 2006 Sonata with V6, and you are correct, it is a chain. With a tensioner. He probably just said the tensioner failed, and I assumed belt.

EDIT: I was close. The 2005 2.7L was a belt system, the '06 with the 3.3 is chain driven.

Either way, great warranty paid to fix the guys engine! :shades:

Gotta love the Hyundai service site!
  • 2011limited2011limited Member Posts: 30
    Is your question legitimate, or are you trying to be facetious?
  • clasiccarguyclasiccarguy Member Posts: 24
    Is your question legitimate, or are you trying to be facetious?

He's not even in the right forum. GM has a five year 100K. Hyundai has 100K ten year. So how serious can he be? :sick:
  • ral2167ral2167 Member Posts: 791
    sat in the sonata while getting santa fe serviced. nice interior. wish center arm rest would slide forward. like a lot of arm rests, pretty much just supports the elbow-- not the forearm. picky, yes, but still-- some arm rests slide forward.
  • alternatoralternator Member Posts: 629
    It seems I have been misunderstood by some in this forum. I have absolutely nothing negative to say about Hyundai or the Sonata. I asked my question here because it is the most active among Hyundai forums and because the warranty I referred to will probably affect more Sonata owners than any other Hyundai (and I have a son-in-law who just bought a 2001 Sonata).

I will post a similar question about warranties in a Cobalt forum. I am simply worried that these very, very long warranties are being used as a powerful sales tool now, but may not be fully honored down the road. Particularly if they appear to be absurdly long. Dealers come and go. Manufacturers come and go. Warranties are somewhat subject to the interpretation of the manufacturer. Therefore, I believe some caution is needed in evaluating the actual worth of extremely long warranties.
  • 2011limited2011limited Member Posts: 30
    Manufacturers come and go.

I think I will take my chances with Hyundai being around for awhile!
  • schdyschdy Member Posts: 233
    I think I will take my chances with Hyundai being around for awhile!

And so will I and many of my friends and relatives who are very happy owners of Hyundai Vehicles.
  • rhodiumrhodium Member Posts: 11
    I'm having trouble pumping gas into my sonata limited always. I pump only when the gas indicator lights up and while pumping the pump shuts down multiple times as if the tank is full, even after 2 gallons. This happens every time and at different pumps.
    Do any of you encounter such a weird problem while pumping Gas!!
  • bigtrbigtr Member Posts: 1
    My very pregnant wife got the GLS Sonata for two days while her car was having some body work done. Car had 2500 miles on it, she drove roughly 300 miles. Overall she liked the car and thought it was pretty loaded. Her complaints were:

1. Seat had no lumbar support, making her longish drives uncomfortable. She said there's obviously no way to know if she would have this problem if not knocked up.
    2. The gas pedal takes a split second to engage when accelerating. She said it's slight, but noticeable.
    3. Forward cup holder is in the way of gear shift, making picking up the morning beverage harder than it should be.
    4. Horn is hilariously bad.
  • clasiccarguyclasiccarguy Member Posts: 24
    A friend of mine had a Mitsubishi Outlander that offered a 5 year 50K warranty, He skipped the 15 and 30K scheduled maintenance because he thought the cost for the service was to high for what they did. When he took the vehicle in for service with about 32k He was told that because he didn't follow the scheduled maintenance routine for the vehicle that his warranty was reduced to 3 year and 36K. So I would Check with the dealer and ask what is required of you just to be sure.
  • honeysucklehoneysuckle Member Posts: 7
    Would you get the 2010 in this or the 2011?

I drove one yesterday (2011) and was shocked by the performance. That car is smooth!

It reminded me a bit of the Accord and the Camry that I tested.

They are saying that this car gives you more bang for the buck. Now that I have added another car to my research, I am confused. I liked the Camry a lot, but am scared by what I have read. I liked the Honda Accord because I already own one that is 7 years old, but don't like a few things including trunk space and the dashboard. Minor I know.

But now the Hyundai Sonata seems to have a bit of both of those cars...yikes. Confused is what I am now.
  • LASHAWNLASHAWN Member Posts: 303
    That sounds like a bunch of bologna to me. They can't reduce your warranty just because you didn't have 2 services performed by them. I'm pretty sure that it doesn't state that in the owner's manual either. It would be like saying that your warranty is null and void if services are done by the customer and not the dealer.
    I imagine this extravagant warranty is only dealer backed, not a Hyundai warranty.

I am not doubting the quality of Hyundai vehicles or the integrity of Hyundai. But I believe this particular dealer is seeking a sales advantage by offering a warranty that he cannot reasonably guarantee. Has anyone seen such a warranty elsewhere?
  • bfrasurebfrasure Member Posts: 10
    I really like the looks of the SE with the 18" wheels but would also like to have leather interior. Is it possible to get the 18" wheels on the Limited? Seems strange to me that you cannot get leather on the SE.
    I really like the looks of the SE with the 18" wheels but would also like to have leather interior. Is it possible to get the 18" wheels on the Limited? Seems strange to me that you cannot get leather on the SE.
  • shabadoo25shabadoo25 Member Posts: 232
    If you really like the SE, spend another grand and get the stock seats wrapped in leather.

My wife did this with her Santa Fe, and the seats are great.
  • tuckerdogtuckerdog Member Posts: 29
    edited May 2010
    I am not doubting the quality of Hyundai vehicles or the integrity of Hyundai. But I believe this particular dealer is seeking a sales advantage by offering a warranty that he cannot reasonably guarantee. Has anyone seen such a warranty elsewhere?

World Car Hyundai in San Antonio extends the Hyundai powertrain warranty. For anyone, they extend the 'mileage' to 125,000. For retired military, police, fire or teachers, the powertrain warranty is extended to lifetime, unlimited miles.
  • ethandouethandou Member Posts: 15
    It happened to me once. I guess leaving some space between the pump rubber and the tank hole to let some air in may help.
  • rdaneelrdaneel Member Posts: 1
    The dealer we bought my wife's Elantra from offered the same kind of thing. They give you a "free" lifetime tire warranty and double the manufacturer's warranty on the car - BUT ONLY if you get all kinds of unnecessary maintenance done. For example, the tire warranty required quarterly (or more) visits to have the tires rotated and balanced. The powertrain required you to get all the oil changes and other maintenance done with the dealer, and they mandated more work than would ever be necessary.

It's hard to say these are a scam, because you could, in theory, utilize them, but they're largely marketing tools for the dealer. But they probably make plenty of money on service that people don't need, and as soon as you miss just one "required" service they void the remainder of the warranty. As always, buyer beware.
    edited May 2010
    Nope, a dealer nor a manufacturer can refuse to honor a warranty if the proper maintenance can be proven. In other words, if you can show receipts where oil changes and other standard maintenance operations were performed either by yourself or another service center, the party denying the warranty has the burden of proof to show that maintenance was not performed.

Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act
    I've always changed the oil, oil filter and air filter, lubricated, changed the anti-freeze, etc. myself. I've often wondered if my proof that I bought oil and filters and anti-freeze would be enough to show that "proper" maintenance had been done (in case of a warranty dispute).

If a dealer says that engine or transmission damage is caused by neglect, misuse or such based on the dealer's own inspection, who can say he is wrong?
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    He didn't say that the required service wasn't done by the dealer, he said it wasn't done at all. Why don't people read posts before they reply that something is bunch of bologna.
  • mikemartinmikemartin Member Posts: 205
    In trying to decide between a Mazda 6, Toyota Camry or Hyundai Sonata (2011), I've heard from at least 4 dealer personnel, two at other brand dealerships (which I dismissed as they are biased), but two at one particular Hyundai dealership (including a salesman and a technician I spoke with), that they have personally seen Hyundai give extreme difficulty to customers over what should have been coverage by Hyundai for warranty repairs - based on flimsy allegations that the severe service maintenance schedule wasn't followed USING THE DEALERSHIP'S SERVICE DEPARTMENT.

I'm not saying this is or isn't true, but I do wonder why two individuals at a Hyundai dealership, when I'm test driving a Sonata, would actually tell me this.

The dealership also sold Mitsubishi vehicles, which I have NO INTEREST IN, and made that clear from the start, so I doubt that was a motivating factor, either.

Do any of you know by firsthand experience or credible information whether there's any truth to this?
    You have no credibility with me so I don't believe your post. Any dealer/manufacturer will deny/hassle warranty work if you don't perform the required scheduled maint outlined in your owners manual with them or can prove you had it done by some other means. I'm sure Hyundai is no different.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Do any of you know by firsthand experience or credible information whether there's any truth to this?

I have only ten years of Hyundai ownership experience (3 vehicles) to the contrary, at multiple dealerships. But I don't doubt there are incompetent people working at some of the thousands of dealerships out there--Hyundai and other brands.
    I have only ten years of Hyundai ownership experience (3 vehicles) to the contrary, at multiple dealerships. But I don't doubt there are incompetent people working at some of the thousands of dealerships out there--Hyundai and other brands.

Thank you, Backy.
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    Implausible story.

What salesman hoping to make a sale is going to trash what he has to sell?
    edited May 2010
    Oh, it's no bother. But I did give an answer and I thought it was constructive. Maybe you didn't bother to read past the first sentence.
    An incompetent one?
    edited May 2010
    2005 Elantra GT: at 18 months, battery went weak. Would run down on park lamps in less than 15 minutes. Hyundai dealer took the car back, checked the alternator, replaced the battery with a brand new 72month Interstate battery, washed the car and had it back to me in 45 minutes with an apology for the problem. Seems the battery supplier in Korea had sold Hyundai a bad batch of batteries, and Hyundai decided to replace them with top of the line Interstate. They even got me a cup of coffee while I waited.

Same car, I was trying to adjust the headlight alignment to a setting more to my liking. While doing so, I screwed up and damaged one of the adusters causing the headlamp to vibrate at idle, making the lamp look like it was fluttering. Took the car in (had about 40K miles on it at the time) and ask what a new headlamp assembly would cost. Service manager asked what the problem was and I told him what I did. Hyundai covered the cost of the assembly with the comment "it shouldn't have broken that easily".

Later when the car was a few years old, one of the hatch lifts lost its charge, and the hatch would barely stay up with one. Both were replaced with the statement that since they were both made at the same time, and installed at the same time, odds were the other one would fail and should just be taken care of premptively.

2002 Elantra GLS: At 30K I took the car in for an oil change and inspection. The dealer knew I always did my own maintenance, and bought the filters from them. He asked why they were doing this one, and I told him I just wanted to make sure I hadn't missed anything. He asked about brakes, antifreeze, gas mileage, oil consumption, then put it up on the rack for the oil change, giving it a good look while it was up there. Charged me for the oil change and told me the car needed nothing else, that I was taking good care of it. I asked the mechanic if I would ever run into a warranty problem by doing my own maintenance. He and the service manager told me to always keep my receipts for oil, filters, and any other maintenance. The mechanic also said that in the event of an engine failure, it was very easy to tell if the engine had been maintained properly as soon as it was opened up.

As stated above, every dealer is different both within the same brand and across brands. I have seen dealers who told their salesmen to push the "in house" maintenance like there was no tomorrow. One dealer even pushed for GM automatic transmission fluid changes every 15K miles "to maintain assurance of the warranty". This was when the factory recommended service was something like 50K under severe conditions.

All of these incidents happened to me, with my cars. So, your mileage may vary, but I am VERY happy with the way Hyundai has handled my warranty claims.
    I guess I should clarify the comment "mechanic also said that in the event of an engine failure, it was very easy to tell if the engine had been maintained properly as soon as it was opened up."

I owned a car that I bought new and put 80K miles on in 4 years. Just before I sold it, I replaced a leaking valve cover gasket. That car got Castrol GTX 10W30 every 5K miles as it was driven a lot in Houston traffic. When I pulled the valve cover, the inside was clean as a whistle. No sludge, no varnish, grit nor grime.

Pulled the valve cover off another engine (not mine) with 40K miles. Had to use a putty knife to get the sludge out of the valve cover, and ended up running Rislone through the engine to get all the oil ports opened back up.

Thats one way you can tell how an engine has been maintained! :surprise:
    jlflemmons, thank you very much for that detailed info regarding Hyundai warranty service and also the info about how to tell whether a motor has been properly maintained.

That was very, very helpful to me.

Mike
  • bobadbobad Member Posts: 1,587
    All you need is a log, showing that you did the required maintenance. Receipts are a good backup, but you don't really need them.
    edited May 2010
    All you need is a log, showing that you did the required maintenance. Receipts are a good backup, but you don't really need them.

Bobad, I have heard of incidents where people who didn't have the dealer service the vehicle, even though they had purchase receipts for oil, filters, fluids, etc., and who did their own work, were given a hard time for warranty repairs, legalities aside.

For those who doubt the technician and salesman told me that warranty complaints with Hyundai were running high, regardless as to whether that's true or not (although I don't know why they would lie), they both told me this because I could not get the bluetooth system to pair with my phone on the demo Limited model I test drove, there was a buzz in the front right speaker, and also because the airbag sensor light had come on during my test drive, and the salesman told me to pull it into the service bay. They told me this in the course of making chit chat - They basically both said that "just follow the severe service schedule and get the car serviced at the dealership," and that's what led to their further statements about potential warranty claim denials.

Like I said, I do not know if it's true or not, or any different than other companies.

I test drove the 2011 Sonata because it's on my short list of cars at this point, along with the Mazda 6 and Toyota Camry. I really liked the Toyota Avalon I test drove, but Toyota wants way too much money for that car, even though it has a very nice ride, interior and is very quiet.
  • j2jj2j Member Posts: 147
    edited May 2010
    "In trying to decide between a Mazda 6, Toyota Camry or Hyundai Sonata (2011), I've heard from at least 4 dealer personnel, two at other brand dealerships (which I dismissed as they are biased), but two at one particular Hyundai dealership (including a salesman and a technician I spoke with), that they have personally seen Hyundai give extreme difficulty to customers over what should have been coverage by Hyundai for warranty repairs - based on flimsy allegations that the severe service maintenance schedule wasn't followed USING THE DEALERSHIP'S SERVICE DEPARTMENT."

Based on the JD Power 2009 CSI rankings...

The study, now in its 29th year, examines satisfaction among vehicle owners who visit a service department for maintenance or repair work. The CSI rankings are based on dealer performance during the first three years of ownership, which typically represent the majority of the vehicle warranty period. Five measures are examined to determine overall customer satisfaction with dealer service (listed in order of importance): service quality; service initiation; service advisor; service facility; and vehicle pickup.

http://businesscenter.jdpower.com/news/pressrelease.aspx?ID=2009030

Hyundai ranks a little behind Mitsu, but ahead of Honda, Toyota, Mazda, Nissan, Subaru and Suzuki.
  • shabadoo25shabadoo25 Member Posts: 232
    That's curious because you've said in other posts that you value a soft, quiet ride too much to consider a Hyundai with their history of suspension problems (your words, not mine).

Your stories are inconsistent.
  • LASHAWNLASHAWN Member Posts: 303
    I'm getting the Limited 2.0T because I want the extra power, leather and 18" wheels, may even upgrade to aftermarket 20" wheels.
    This has an easy solution: STAY AWAY FROM THAT DEALER. Stay away from ANY dealership that misrepresents the effect of where a car is serviced on warranty coverage. If you can't trust them on that point; you can't trust them on ANYTHING, IMO. Find a dealership that is honest with you. Then give them your business, because they deserve it.
  • ewg54ewg54 Member Posts: 25
    I got the Limited the only thing that I wanted that the SE has is the dual exaust. Looks like that will be my first customization.
  • snamsnam Member Posts: 11
    Hello, I am at a final step of financing my sonata, but the mothly payment that my dealer is giving me is just odd.

Loan amount : $ 15900
    APR : 7.84 %
    Term: 36 months

He is saying I should pay $ 512 per month, but what I have found using calculator at Edmund or PMT from excel is $497 per month.

$512 actually means 10% APR.
    Can anyone explain to me how he is coming up with $512?
    Thank you.!

snam
  • bobadbobad Member Posts: 1,587
    Snam,

Could the difference be GAP and other insurance? It's not really that great of a difference.
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    It looks like he is adding in about an extra $500 to the finance amount. Ask him to show where that extra $500 principal is coming from.
    Yeah, it's not much of a difference, but I just wanted to know how he is calculating the number. Thanks for reply.
    So it's either he is adding more principal or actually using higher APR.
    I was wondering whether there is a different way of calculating APR.
    Well, thanks for reply.
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    The $512/mo with the $15900 principal and nothing else added would work out to about 9.84% APR! Take a good look at that paperwork!
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    I'm at the end of my rope with them. NO more comments on other members, their personalities, or what you think about them. If you wish to respond, respond to the comments only, and not what you think about the person making the comments.

I'm on the edge of giving a few members a "time out" in this discussion, because it's ridiculous for new members coming in here to get info about the 2011 Sonata to have to read through a bunch of "I know you are, but what am I?" level comments. This serves as the final warning/notice.

There are alternatives to responding to posts you don't like. Some ideas:
    going outside, working, reading a book, watching TV, trimming toenails, eating a full serving of fruits & vegetables, or just flat-out ignoring the posts altogether. None of those will impact posting privileges.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Or for any other car buyer out there. Short of having a car totalled in a wreck, or sitting on the side of the road with a blown engine and not worth fixing, or very few other situations, you really don't NEED a car "today" contrary to what the dealer my try to tell you. We're talking big bucks, here! Take your time. If you cannot decide, just go back and sit, feel, drive. It may take a couple of trips, but one will most likely "grow" on you as the one you want.

Sure helps eliminating the 'what if's' in any purchase, especially a car.

Enjoy the experience and let us know what you end up with! :)

Jim
  • ergsumergsum Member Posts: 146
    Do you know what about that member kirstie_h, her personality is swell, and I think she's doing a fine job. :P