Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Hyundai Sonata

Comments

• robtroxelrobtroxel Member Posts: 103
    Unfortunately you are the last step in the Quality control cycle. When you buy a new model this happens and it is not confined to just your brand. I bought a new 2001 Benz C320 back in 2000 and it was the worst and most expensive car I have ever owned. People are always optimistic about how the new models have been sorted out and get bitten. The 2007 Accord as a really well sorted out car after 4 model years and it showed. I had one and declined to buy the 2008 Accord or any other first year car. Secondly you should save money after the newness of the model has worn off.

Sorry you are having issues but I'm not surprised.
  • syitalian25syitalian25 Member Posts: 303
    I would bring your tire pressure to about 32 and see if that helps with the road noise. The strut bar from Shark Racing has also been a big help on my SE - the ride is much more comfortable after installing it. I would also recommend replacing the low rolling resistance tires that come stock with some high-rated grand touring ones when the time comes for new tires.
  • rascal06rascal06 Member Posts: 8
    Yeah, I now I bought 2004 Volvo S-60 new it still had plastic on it when i picked it out. It had A TON of issues. I guess i jumped the gun on this one. I was about turn over 100k in the Honda and thought the Honda was a bit boring looking. I should have remembered the best part of the car was that EVERYTHING worked the way it should 100% of the time and I never had to worry about rattles. What's so bad is that I will have to drop my car off again and drive right past my Honda because they still have not sold it.
  • greg128greg128 Member Posts: 526
    This 100000mi powertrain warranty is a pretty good marketing ploy as, by and large, the power train does not go bad within the first 100000 miles. So, I would not buy a car just because of that. I usually buy a new car and drive it to the ground...My last two cars have been Camry and Accord and I have 130000 mi on my 1995 Camry without ever touching the transmission or the engine. I also drove my Accord to the ground with 140000mi on it, so these cars have great reliability. I have never owned a Hyundai and was wondering if they have a similar durability and reliability.....

Well I don't consider that particularly remarkable. We bought my son a 2000
    Chevy Cavalier for $10,500 new. He drove it for 8 years and then gave it to his
    girlfriend. It now has 190,000 miles with no major issues. (A/ C is out) I sold
    a 1989 Chevy Astro a while back with 160,000 milles and met the new owner a
    few years later and he had 320,000 miles on it and still running strong.
    (2 engines - original tranny)
  • tbone_raretbone_rare Member Posts: 96
    They told you is was normal for the sunroof to leak and you didn't laugh out loud? What a ridiculous thing to say!! Get that technician's name along with the name of the dealership and give the corporate service advisor a call. He or she might be interested in knowing what a "normal" sunroof is supposed to do!
  • xmechxmech Member Posts: 90
    'Ohhh! You mean you don't have the screen-door sunroof?!? Why didn't you say so?'
  • denp3denp3 Member Posts: 99
    edited June 2010
    I can't believe they said that about the sunroof leaking being normal.
    That would destroy the interior of the car after a while.
    That dealer should not be allowed to sell Hyundai's if they think that way.
    I told my salesman at my local dealer and he agreed they shouldn't be allowed to sell..
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Member Posts: 2,242
    That sunroof comment is amazing. What kind of idiot would think that? I have owned, or own, three different Hyundai with sunroofs, and the only time any of them showed even very slight leakage was when going through very high pressure car washes, and then we're talking maybe a couple of drips. Never any kind of leak from rain or a typical car wash.
  • bobadbobad Member Posts: 1,587
    That sunroof comment is amazing.

Yes,,, a little too amazing. Why would a dealer say that for goshsakes?

Wondering if the OP meant "common" rather than "normal". It's not real uncommon for sun roofs to leak and make noise.
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    It's not real uncommon for sun roofs to leak and make noise.

I've had 6 cars with sunroofs and not one leaked EVER, even in a carwash. Maybe I'm just lucky but I would think if it was common most people would skip that option. Now make a little noise I would agree is fairly common.
  • jimbresjimbres Member Posts: 2,025
    One of my previous cars was an '87 Accord LXi, which I kept for nearly 12 years & which never saw the inside of a garage. At one point in year 10, the sunroof began to leak badly. I took the car to my excellent independent mechanic, who found that dead leaves had clogged one of the sunroof drains. He cleaned out the drain, charged me $20 & sent me on my way. Problem solved.

Could something like this be the source of your problem?
  • schdyschdy Member Posts: 233
    The sunroof leak is NOT NORMAL and should be repaired along with your other defects. I would post the Dealer's name and location since he deserves the publicity.
    CallHyundai Corporate and relate your story to them. I believe you will receive immediate action!
  • alphacar1alphacar1 Member Posts: 5
    Hyundai has come a very long way...... they are striving to be accepted as a top quality car builder. It's things like your sunroof experience that makes many of us still wondering if Hyundai can ever reach that next level? Quality control has to be a Top priority if Hyundai wants to actually take on the big boys.
  • jsmit86jsmit86 Member Posts: 116
    No manufacturer is perfect, but Hyundai needs to make the sunroof issue right. Period. The poster should absolutely not take "its normal" for an answer.
    That said, the vast majority of owners seem to be very satisfied.

I bought this car with very high expectations, coming from 2 Infinitis previous to getting a 2011 Sonata Limited. So far, I have no major issues, and only a few minor suggestions for improvements.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    It's not as much a quality control issue, since any car can have a defect, but a dealer issue, IMO. But bad dealers are not unique to Hyundai, unfortunately.
  • jasony79jasony79 Member Posts: 3
    I just bought one! Great car, but I noticed there is greenish looking grease or Vaseline in the vents. Is this normal?! I believe it's to prevent the vent manual direction controls from making any noise, but it's gross. Is it toxic to breathe in? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
  • dash5dash5 Member Posts: 421
    Just got home from the in-laws and their neighbor has a new Black Sonata GLS. There is just zero question that this car is the looker of the segment, at least til the Optima hits. Perhaps it's not as sharp in another color or something but in Black it's a sweet looking ride, even in the base model with smallish tires.

I've heard a few people comment it looks like a Solara recently and I can only conclude they either have not seen a new Sonata in person or are smoking crack. To me the Solara is rather ugly, and this isnt even in the same league.
  • techman326techman326 Member Posts: 1
    Hi.

I haven't had a chance to read all the posts. Sorry if I missed something. Are you sure the sound you hear is from the C-pillar ("C-Pillar tapping sound")? I've noticed a similar sound, but it is at the B-pillar.

There is a plastic rivet that holds the latch for the seat belt at a location that is easy to reach. When wind enters the car a various speeds, it causes the passenger seat belt to "flutter" and the latch to tap against the plastic on the interior of the B-pillar. You may not be able to see it, depending on the location of the passenger seat.

The tapping is very loud and happens at different speeds. I'm not sure if the passenger window has to be open or if it happens with the driver's window open and the passenger window closed. I'm also not sure about the sunroof position. I'll have to pay attention the next time it happens.

I also had a similar problem with the passenger seat. It appears that the recline lever does not "seat" correctly at times. You can try changing the recline position and verify that the lever is all the way down.

Hopefully this will help you, or someone with a similar problem.
    Either way, good luck getting the problems resolved.
  • markleungmarkleung Member Posts: 44
    Just posted a few hours ago. I hope the timeframe for Canada will be the same.

link title

The 2011 Hyundai Sonata is selling strongly out of the gate--but two new versions on the way later this year will give mid-size sedan shoppers a couple more reasons to reconsider the V-6-powered competition.

Green-car fans can look forward to the Hyundai Sonata Hybrid, which shows up at year's end with a set of lithium-polymer batteries, a conventional six-speed automatic transmission and a potential 40-mpg highway fuel economy rating, according to John Krafcik, CEO for the American unit of the Korean automaker.

Enthusiasts will skip ahead to the Sonata 2.0T turbo, which Krafcik says will complete the "perfect trifecta." Under the hood: a 2.4-liter turbocharged four-cylinder with 274 horsepower. He estimates the Turbo version will only lose 1 mpg of fuel economy from the standard four-cylinder car, for a possible 34-mpg EPA highway rating.

"We think no car has ever put those tow numbers together," he adds.

The Sonata turbo won't be much more expensive than standard Sonatas, he notes. The new Sonata carries a base price of about $20,000, which rises to about $26,000 in the Limited edition. The Sonata 2.0T Turbo will range from about $26,000 to just under $30,000 in Limited form, he says.

Hyundai starts production of the new turbo version in September, with sales starting at the end of that month.

Krafcik also confirms Hyundai's American sales arm is looking closely at a proposed wagon version of the Sonata. The new model's in development for other world markets, particularly for Europe, and Krafcik admits he'd like to see it come to the U.S.--particularly as new fuel-economy regulations for 35-mpg cars are phased in over the next few years.
  • keyman2keyman2 Member Posts: 78
    Will the turbo be the same price as the SE 200hp with nav/sunroof?
    " The Sonata 2.0T Turbo will range from about $26,000 to just under $30,000 in Limited form, he says. "

"Hyundai starts production of the new turbo version in September, with sales starting at the end of that month."

Sweet. That's perfect. Thanks for posting the article!
    $20,000, which rises to about $26,000 in the Limited edition. The Sonata 2.0T Turbo will range from about $26,000 to just under $30,000 in Limited form, he says.

That's a little bit more than I had expected. That means that with Nav the Ltd turbo could be around 32k. Wow, that's a lot of money for a Sonata. I thought it would add maybe $2500 to $3000 to the price but it appears to be around $4k. I know you get a couple of extra bells and whistles with the turbo pkg but that is still a big jump. Maybe just wishful thinking on my part.
    Oh I was assuming that 30k was with NAV. Hmm. So turbo, 18" wheels, paddle shifters, panoramic sunroof < 4k. Although I assume he's talking MSRP.
    That's the the way I take it. They mentioned that the current Ltd goes for $26k and I know that MSRP on the current Ltd with NAV is over $28k. So adding the NAV($2000) to the mentioned price of "just under $30k", which I assume is probably $29,995 or something like that, it would be around $32k. Like I said, a ton of money for a Sonata. It better be really something for that price. I know street prices will be lower but they are for just about any car and you're not seeing as much discount on the Sonata now.
    Yeah I definitely see what you're getting at. Still, 274 HP with 34 MPG at 3200 ish pounds of car, options and nice sheet metal, I can see it. It's become a case of getting more car for the same money instead of the same car for less money.

I mean looking real quick at a 2010 Mazda 6 as an example. V6 with very similar HP and torque, you're hitting 33k MSRP and you're not getting near 34 MPG. Plus the Turbo would probably out equip it as well with a panoramic sunroof and paddle shifters, I dont think the 6 has those.
    You have to be careful with turbos though when you start talking mpg. If you put your foot into a turbo a lot you will not see anywhere near the mpg that the epa says. That's true on any engine but turbos suck gas when those little spinners get going. :) If the reports that come back are really good on the turbo, I may be looking at either the Sonata or Optima next spring.

I agree with your analogy about getting more car for the same money though. Still will probably be a pretty good deal though.

To my knowledge, the Mazda6 V6 gets the worst mpg in the class. I have an I4 Mazda6 and was kind of looking at the new one with the V6 until I saw those mpg numbers. The Mazda i4 is a good engine but a little underpowered compared to the field now but the v6 sucks gas so bad, the combo of those two things knocked the 6 off my list. However, I would put the handling of the 6 well above the Sonata and still slightly above the Fusion, Altima and Accord. I've heard the Sonata SE handles very well but it also has been ragged for riding harshly. The Mazda seems to be able to have both the handling prowess and the ride as well. Sonata will probably get there too but it's not quite there yet. It took Mazda a lot of years and a lot of racing to develop that suspension and steering system to what it is today.
    " The Mazda seems to be able to have both the handling prowess and the ride as well. Sonata will probably get there too but it's not quite there yet. It took Mazda a lot of years and a lot of racing to develop that suspension and steering system to what it is today. "

This is my remaining area of concern with both the Optima and the Sonata. Turbo or not. Probably the main reason the Regal GS is still on my short list of cars to watch.
  • skdriverskdriver Member Posts: 9
    Just returned from a trip (Toronto to East Coast Canada) 4439 Km (2774 mi)
    Used 313 litres gas which equals an average of 7L / 100 Km (OR 40.4 mpg/ Can gal. OR 33.6 mpg /US gal.)
    Approx 20% driving on Expressway (120 kph or 75 mph) - 10 % city & 70% on country roads (80 kph or 50-60 mph- drove a lot of scenic roads through NY, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, New Brunswick & PEI). one section of road, 150 miles when my wife babied the gas pedal and held to the 50-55 speed limits & we averaged an unbelievable 5.6 L / 100 km (50.4 mpg /Can gal or 42 mpg/ US gal).
    The overall trip was great - good ride, only trouble was a couple of cases that the GPS froze, but restarting car cleared any problem (you know, if computer freezes, unplug it.) Probably something I had done wrong setting it.
    Had a lot of positive comments on the Limited, Venetian red w camel leather. Couldn't be happier with the car particularly the fuel economy - Why wait for the Hybrid ?
  • zornundozornundo Member Posts: 21
    $4,000 for a turbo model? When the previous gen sonata only added $2,000 for the V6. This doesn't make any sense!
    edited June 2010
    The Sonata SE Turbo is supposed to start "under 25K" according to the Hyundai president during the webcast when it was introduced.. add the $750 destination fee and I would say more like $25,750 OTD for the Turbo SE and around $29K OTD for the Turbo Limited. Add the Nav to that for another few bucks and you'd be looking around $31K for it loaded.. still cheaper than almost any other loaded midsize
  • ins0mn1acins0mn1ac Member Posts: 4
    I just bought a 2011 Sonata GLS. The dealer offered me the HPP extended warranty for $1795. Is this too high ? I have had people post here that they got one for ~ $1200, but didn't clearly specify whether it was the Hyundai backed warranty or aftermarket.

Also, can I buy the extended warranty later ? How much higher will the price be, let's say, if I buy after a year.

Thanks,
    Sandy
  • fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459
    Not to mention the turbo models might include standard equipment that's optional or not available on other models.
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
  • ral2167ral2167 Member Posts: 791
    i can just see it now...turbo in small supply, high demand-- little discount. kinda like...equinox, and to some degree tucson. perhaps i'm off base here.
  • keyman2keyman2 Member Posts: 78
    Hi
    How do you unplug the GPS system?I didn't buy my car as of yet but planning to in Aug.Is there any pulling to left?noise?that's what I've been reading.I love the Sonata SE I just hope it will be a good car.Good luck with yours.
  • sb2002sb2002 Member Posts: 10
    Those interested in the 2011 Limited Sonata:

I placed an order with my dealership on 4/23/10 to purchase a fully loaded Black on Black limited Sonata 2011. On 6/21/10 I finally received it. During that time the dealer offered me a grey limited fully loaded as well as a red one. However, I held out for the Black on Black.

I am pleased to write that I could not be happier with this car. In this segment, I believe the hyundai 2011 sonata is hands down the winner. I am certain Honda & Toyota will update their Accord & Camry respectively to compete in the coming months and years, and I am sure they'll come with something worth looking at.

However, the sonata is clearly the winner in 2010. From looks, gas mileage, cost and amenities, it is difficult to compete with the Sonata.

All of this is personal preference, but this is a Hyundai blog, and I just want to share my thoughts on this.

The navigation menu and blue tooth features are sweet. The voice activation for dozens of different items was an awesome unexpected surprise. (I am sure this is available on most nav systems - this is my first one).

Already I have received comments about how the car looks like a lexus or a mercedes. The 400 Watt speaker system certainly brings an additional smile to your face during your drives to and from work.

I have only driven 150 miles thus far, but I just wanted to post my thoughts. These limited models I am being told are extremely hard to come by. I was also told from the Dealer, because they are hard to find, it may be difficult to buy one under MRSP.

In recap, this Hyundai owner has a big smile on his face, and looks forward to driving miles and miles with a shiny new stylish sedan with some kick [non-permissible content removed] amenities.
    edited June 2010
    $25,750 OTD for the Turbo SE and around $29K OTD for the Turbo Limited. Add the Nav to that for another few bucks and you'd be looking around $31K for it loaded..

Don't know what you mean by OTD in this reference. Usually, OTD means price+tax, title, tags, dealer fee etc.

Stand by my earlier statement. What you are quoting is many months old from the LA auto show. According to other poster Hyundai has just now come out and said the current models run from 20-26k and that the turbo models will run from 26k to just under 30k. So if the new Ltd turbo is just under 30k and you add NAV you have $32k MSRP. If sold at MSRP the OTD price would be substantially more than that in states where sales tax is charged. So a LTD turbo with NAV would probably be around 34k OTD if sold at full price and that is all we can go on right now. Street prices will vary but there will probably be little discounting for awhile.

So as of this latest info, it appears that the turbo and associated other goodies include with it is going to run about 4k more.
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Member Posts: 2,242
    That is very pricey for an extended warranty that will not kick in until the mfg warranty expires. And you can also get ext warranties from reputable credit unions (find out which credit unions in your area work with your dealer).

Typically, an extended warranty can be purchased at any time while the mfg warranty is in effect. So no, you don't have to buy it on day one.
    Congrats on the new car! I think the Sonata looks especially good in black. Definitely a head turner.

What did you replace and how is the power and ride compared with your old car?
  • sb2002sb2002 Member Posts: 10
    I had a 2002 Hyundai Sonata, black on black. It was good to me over the last 8.5 years. I bought it new and kept it through about 120,000 miles. The new Sonata was hard to pass up on.

My previous Sonata had a V6 with approximately 180 hp. The 2011 Sonata has a 4 cylinder but 200 hp.

First, the cabin in the new Sonata is much nicer and quieter than the 2002, even though the engine is slightly louder. But the ride is much smoother, quieter and more powerful.

Not sure how many have kept with the Sonata. I am certainly pleased with upgraded model.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
  • skdriverskdriver Member Posts: 9
    I don't think you can unplug the GPS - It works well. I think my problems were created by myself not being used to the system, (I had a TomTom GPS before).
    My car does not have any strange noises and does not seem to pull to the left or right. I have tried this at different speeds since reading about on this forum.

With all my experience with Hyundai/Kia there have been very few problems, This goes back over 6 vehicles.
    Good luck in buying in Aug, What color do you plan to get?
    edited June 2010
    ok, I didn't mean out the door, what I meant to say was "MSRP+Destination".. it's about $2000 more than the non-turbo.
    edited June 2010
    I think 26k (MSRP+destination currently for a Ltd) to "just below 30k" (don't know if that includes destination or not) is about $4k where I learned math. Please explain if I'm drastically missing something. I guess it could be your definition of "just below 30k" is completely different then mine. Usually when I hear that I think $29,900 or something close. Maybe you think it's closer to $28k and that would explain why you keep saying it's only $2000 more. Guess we'll just have to wait and see the actual pricing is going to be.
    ha! feeling confused yet? ;)

Hyundai shouldn't need to pack on any more goodies to the Limited trim by just adding Turbo. They only need Limited trim and just add the turbo, period. If that option is more than $2,000 msrp, then that is too much, especially when only adding the V6 only added $2,000 msrp to the previous gen Sonata. What else would they need to add with turbo? Too much and then they will start pricing themselves out of the segment.

Oh, I spoke to my brother yesterday. He is an engineer at the plant in Montgomery. He was gloating over driving a new turbo model around the plant. Only around the plant and not outside for a full-throttle run. I'm sure he'll brag the first chance he gets when he gets to take one outside for a test.
    Glad you like your black on black! We just purchased a red limited. Took a while to find one in the local area. Many limiteds at the various dealers would sell really quick. I am surprised this one lasted three weeks on the dealer lot. I was able to use the employee purchase and the dealer was none too happy in selling it, but they had no choice, because the dealership participates in that program.

I already drive a 2009 GLS I4 and have over 58,000 miles with no problems. I am very pleased with it. The wife is getting the new limited. Maybe I'll drive it every now and then. I was very pleased when I first test-drove the new limited and that has not changed today after driving it a good 60-plus miles home from the dealership.
    Too much and then they will start pricing themselves out of the segment.

That's kind of where I was going with the price with getting up around $32k MSRP. I don't think they'll price themselves out of the segment but at the very top end of the segment you start crossing paths with discounted luxury brands.

They already announced that the turbo package for the Ltd would include several additons like panorama sunroof, dual exhaust and a couple of other things that I can't think of right now. They announced it a couple of months ago. Also adding some stuff to the SE turbo package but I can't recall those either. I'm sure somebody.else here has the answer.
    Yes the non-turbo SE is $23,595 (I believe) and the Limited is like $26,000 including MSRP and destination. The Turbo SE is said to be under $25K (not including destination, I'm sure) meaning at most $25,699 - about $2000 more than the non-turbo variant of the same car. The Limited w/turbo I expect will be about $28K - also around $2000 more than the non-turbo Limited. If you add the nav package to that, it will likely top out somewhere in the very low 30's.
    edited June 2010
    The Sonata turbo won't be much more expensive than standard Sonatas, he notes. The new Sonata carries a base price of about $20,000, which rises to about $26,000 in the Limited edition. The Sonata 2.0T Turbo will range from about $26,000 to just under $30,000 in Limited form, he says.

The above was from a quote from Krafcik. From 26k to "just under 30k" is about $$4000 more for the turbo limited or am I reading this wrong? I'm not just guessing, it is based on a statement from the Hyundai US president.

The Turbo SE is said to be under $25K

And who is saying that??
    According to Hyundai, its new 274-horsepower 2.0-liter turbocharged engine for the 2011 Sonata sedan is going to be a real gem. To wit, the Korean automaker says the boosted-four will propel its midsize sedan to 60 miles per hour in just 6.5 seconds.

Above copied from autoblog.com. Serious speed noted here if it turns out to be true.
  • targettuningtargettuning Member Posts: 1,371
    Why?? The previous generation with a V-6 got there (0-60) in a bit more time with less hp so why would a more powerful car not be able to do this?? Or are you commenting on the whole package meaning good fuel economy coupled with great performance? Good fuel economy is also entirely possible if driven in a rational way most of the time. I believe a current Corvette is capable of getting to 100 (mph)before most cars get to 60 and still get in the middle 20's (mpg) on the highway. Ain't technology great!!!