Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Hyundai Sonata

Comments

• syitalian25syitalian25 Member Posts: 303
    The prices that I have are based on Krafcik's information he provided during the Turbo/Hybrid Sonata webcast, which I was watching live. If the figures you gave are true, they have raised the price since the spring because he specifically said the turbo SE would be under $25K... I don't know if it'd be worth an extra $4k if the turbo is only shaving off one second from the 0-60 time. I am not just making those numbers up though.
    Honestly I am a bit disappointed if these numbers are true. They are likely a result of Hyundai tweaking the engines to maintain fuel economy rather than increase performance - probably a good sales strategy but it'd be nice to see a Sonata SE turbo doing 0-60 in 5.5 seconds.. that would be a true performance sedan value at that price.
  • jerryk33jerryk33 Member Posts: 6
    Clearly I and certain others would have a strong interest hearing from owners of the 2011 Sonata about their DRIVING experiences! (1) Quiet Ride? (2) Highway and City Driving (3) Performance - i.e. HP solid enough without Turbo OR should u wait for the turbo? (4) Suspension? (5) Dealer experiences? (6) Warranty problems (if any)?

If the vast majority on this forum are interested in the potential purchase of this vehicle then PLEASE let us know what your experience is with the 2011 Sonata!!
    Thanks
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    I actually like that you can have your cake and eat it too. Nice power and great mpg what with the oil situation and the prospect of vastly higher gas prices. If the turbo did get into the 5.5 range it would effect mpg and drive it down to the mid 20s. The car I would be interested in would be the limited turbo but it's getting a little pricey if the latest info is correct. I actually hope you're right but the $2000 more but I think they are going to try and make some good margin off the Limited Turbo package. But then where else can you get that kind of combination of power/mpg? The Mazda6 has about that HP but only gets 25mpg hwy which really stinks. The Fusion is just a hair better.

The other thing about having the Sonata being classed as a sport sedan is the suspension/steering. I don't think they are there yet. They probably will get there but I think that is where they could show some improvement.
  • dash5dash5 Member Posts: 421
    I think we'll just have to wait for clarification on those numbers. After all, the article that came from has the title: "2011 Hyundai Sonata Turbo: 274 HP, $25K"

25k, not 26k. You also have to factor in that "turbo" can mean SE turbo or Limited Turbo. So yes 4k from a SE turbo to a Limited Turbo with everything I suppose is right.

Finally, it's not just the turbo you get. You're also getting, in the limited anyway:

"a panoramic sunroof, 18-inch "hyper" silver alloy wheels, dual exhaust system and steering wheel-mounted paddle shifters."

Limited Turbo
    Thanks for the answers that helps me a lot. One last question... how is it keeping the black clean? Does it look dirty 10 seconds after washing it?
    If you read my posts you would have seen that I know you get more bells and whistles than just the turbo. I was just going by Krafciks latest quote that the prices of the turbo models will be from $26k to just under $30k. What the article might be named is irrelevant. And I was specifically talking about the Limited as that is what I would be interested in. If it's $26k now(which it is) and Krafcik says it will come in "just under $30k" for the turbo model then I would say that's about $4000. What's so hard to understand about that?

I was not comparing the price of an SE to a Limited.
  • bobadbobad Member Posts: 1,587
    If you haven't already, you can click on the 2011 Hyundai Sonata reviews link at right for lots of driving impressions.

Here's a new blurb and movie clip by Consumer Reports. They seem to like the car a lot.

http://blogs.consumerreports.org/cars/2010/06/test-complete-2011-hyundai-sonata.- html
    The suspension could use some improvement to really be classified as a sports sedan (a-la the G37) but that being said the handling on the SE is sporty and body lean is very minimal compared to the Accord and Malibu and much more akin to the Mazda6 or Fusion. The electric assisted steering takes a bit of getting used to but it gives decent feedback.. I think the handling will also improve quite a bit once I swap the tires for something more performance oriented.
  • podpod Member Posts: 176
    I recently had a 24 hour test drive of a new 2010 Sonata I-4 GLS as a replacement for my ten year old Mercury Sable. I very much liked the size and appointments of the car. It is truly midsized, in a good way. I had a few minor quibbles about the AC and heat controls, the inability to dim the dashlights completely at night, etc. but they were truly minor and would not influence my purchase decision. I would have bought the car (out the door for $19.9 everything included) but after driving it on local roads and highways I couldn't get used to the NVH. The most disappointing aspect was the rear suspension---it sounded and felt very loose and fidgety over minor road blemishes. The sounds conjured up a picture of the rear suspension bouncing all over the place and expected to hear a stabilizer bar or tie rod fly off. The rear end in the car is light and that may be an issue. The front didn't seem as loud or loose probably because of the weight of the engine loading the system to a proper balance. I felt there was no sound insulation at all. In any case it led me to pass on the purchase.

I believe the 2011 Sonata is a complete redesign and rebuild and wondered if recent owners would comment on the suspension and NVH. My Sable with 143k on the odometer and with two broken rear coil springs and (no doubt) wasted struts still gives a more compliant ride and feels more settled than the 2010 GLS.

The dealer told me that all the foreign midsized cars are suspended relatively loosely and that domestics are tuned to be quiet and absorb the high frequency noise and vibrations.

I would appreciate opinions from new owners about the suspension characteristics of their 2011 Sonatas. I appreciate that the SE is purposely "sporty" so I am inquiring about the 2011 GLS and Limited.
    I know, I'm not trying to be adversarial, sorry if it came out that way. What I'm saying is Krafcik was unclear, or the article was. Here's the relevant text:

The Sonata turbo won't be much more expensive than standard Sonatas, he notes. The new Sonata carries a base price of about $20,000, which rises to about $26,000 in the Limited edition. The Sonata 2.0T Turbo will range from about $26,000 to just under $30,000 in Limited form, he says.

What I'm saying is Turbo comes in 2 flavors, SE and Limited. As far as I know anyway. So I'm guessing that last sentence could mean "The Sonata 2.0T Turbo will range from about $26,000 in SE trim with no Nav, to just under 30,000 in Limited form, he says"

I could be wrong, I'm just theorizing.
    edited June 2010
    Sorry for the curt reply as well. You have it exactly. About $26 for the SE Turbo model and just under $30 for the Turbo Limited. For the Limited, that is about $4000 more than what it is now without NAV.

Now, add NAV to the turbo Limited and you're pushing $32k before TTL. That's more than the G25 is going to be and the Regal CXL with the 225hp engine. Realize both are not direct competitors and the hp/mpg isn't as strong but they are both going to be very nice automobiles and will compete in my world.
  • craigsamuelcraigsamuel Member Posts: 10
    When the car sits in my office parking lot during work, it heats up quite a bit and after 10 hours, I notice the lettering and numbering is a faint shadow of its former self. Is this defective or normal for the type of technology.

Thanks
    Craig
  • topjctopjc Member Posts: 1
    I have experienced the same thing. I will be going to the dealer in the next two weeks for my first oil change and will inquire about this.

The clock looks to be the same technology but is not affected the same way.
    Gotcha. Well the only thing I can hope is that under 30k is MSRP and includes Navigation. If that's the case it puts it 1000.00 under competition like the V6 Accord, which sounds about right. I guess we will see soon enough.
  • ral2167ral2167 Member Posts: 791
    Yes thats normal-- I have a radio shack digital preset radio-- when it's out in the sun the digital screen lettering will fade-- it comes right back once it's out of the sun. nothing to worry about. if you can fabricate some kind of cover to put over the radio while it sits, then problem solved.
  • 99accent99accent Member Posts: 237
    door handles chipping on sonata ,is there a recall on this problem ,I have been touching up the plastic handle outer covers for 9 years now , is there a recall on these handles for a 2001 sonata
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Is this on the 2011 Sonata, or the 2001? I've seen chipping on painted plastic handles on several of my cars, and they weren't nearly 10 years old. Next time, you might want to get a car with chromed handles, e.g. Sonata Limited, and avoid the problem altogether.
  • moontrainmoontrain Member Posts: 83
    I have a Black Plum Limited. The color is great,sometimes it looks black and sometimes it looks Plum. The problem is that it shows all the dust, but I love dark color cars. You will have the same problem with the dark blue and the red. I keep a california duster in the trunk.
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Member Posts: 2,242
    It is the nature of an lcd to fade from heat. Today's panels are much better than the first LCDs produced. I remember watches that if left in the sun for over a half hour would turn completely black and would have to be cooled down to be readable.
  • poodog13poodog13 Member Posts: 320
    A fully loaded Maxima is available at that price in some areas. Better suspension, more HP, but less warranty.
  • jsmit86jsmit86 Member Posts: 116
    A fully loaded Maxima 3.5 SV with Premium and Tech package is $39,420. That's a pretty far cry from 33K. I have yet to see $6K off sticker for a Maxima unless it was a demo or a previous year.
  • amoviefan1amoviefan1 Member Posts: 24
    edited June 2010
    Here is my guess on the pricing for this car (and it's ONLY a guess):

Current 2011 Limited (no Turbo) w/OUT NAV: $26,015

Current 2011 Limited (no Turbo) WITH NAV: $28,115

If Hyundai adds as much as $3000 (I'm hoping for only $2000) for the turbo upgrade, that would mean...

NEW 2011 Limited TURBO w/OUT NAV: $29,015

NEW 2011 Limited TURBO WITH NAV: $31,115

These are full sticker prices.

One competitor: 2010 Honda Accord Sedan EX-L V6:
    NO NAV: $29,580
    With NAV: $31,855

This means Hyundai's pricing would be right in line with Honda.

Thoughts?

Thanks.
  • meikmeik Member Posts: 63
    I doubt it in general. But, "in some areas", sure what could not be possible? ;)
    Dealer's internet price for a fully loaded new 2010 Azera was 27K in my area when I bought my Sonata.
  • meikmeik Member Posts: 63
    If I remember correctly, Limited Turbo will come with some more things like a back-up sensor, hid, heated & ventilated front seats.
    So you need to add $476 for a backup camera and $513 for a backup sensor.

Limited Turbo : $31,115 (if Hyundai adds only $3,000 for the turbo & other add-on upgrade)
    vs
    Accord : $32,843 (if their price on new 2011 model stay the same)
    I posted this in the Midsize section but Kia has a configuration tool for their new Optima, I'm guessing the pricing will be similar: Optima Configuration tool
  • schdyschdy Member Posts: 233
    You can't compare a Turbo to a V6. Performance of the present 4cyl Sonata is comparable to the Honda v6. So compare the 4cyl Limited @ $25k to the Honda @ $31k.
    Why cant you compare the turbo to the V6? Sonata's turbo is their solution to a more powerful car, they substituted the turbo for a V6 so they could get better gas mileage, a lighter weight and the same power/torque. It's directly comparable to the Honda V6.
  • alookmanalookman Member Posts: 141
    How can you compare a car that has not even been released? I love the new 2011 Sonata as a great value, but their engine technology is not close to Honda's. The 2010 Accord V6 is smooth as silk and has valve mgt. system that shuts of 2 or 3 valve and its an engineering marvel. Except VW most turbos are not smoother than V6s but do provide more for less!
    I have driven 2011 Sonata GLS/SE 198 HP and its nice car very similar to Accord EX 4cyl with 190HP. Its engine is not even close to Accord V6 at 264 HP. My 03 V^6Accord produces smooth silky 243 HP. 2010 Accord V6 is a great solid engine. Honda is way ahead of other Asian giants in engine technology and HYUNDAI IS NOT EVEN CLOSE! Only Nissan's 3.5 V6 is as good.
    I believe you mean reliability index of a given model. Best source is Consumer Report which rates 2006-2010 Sonatas 4 cyl, as above average and well recommended. For 2011 Sonata, there is no data since it takes a year from the release year to accumulate data and CR comes out with April auto issue when all the models are rated.

2011 Sonata is a wonderful car and CR did a comparison with other vehicles rates them as no. 2 on their list of best midsize cars after Altima, based on performance, safety, value and reliability. Since CR is ad. free its less influenced by adv. dollars like other auto magazines. Another good source is JD Powers initial and 3 year old model survey. No data on 2011 Sonata there either.

CR rates Honda as most reliable brand name and Accord has the best resale of all the midsize cars. Due to heavy factory to dealer incentive besides 1200 rebates, the Accords are being marked off by 2k to 2500 k off invoice! You can get LX-P 4cyl Accord sedan with AT for 19500-19,800 (destination included) plus TTL. Add invoice value to each upgrade package, so EX will be for 1600 -1700 more!
    Since CR is ad. free its less influenced by adv. dollars like other auto magazines

I've seen many, many people make this statement and I have once had anyone prove it or provide information to back it up other than "well, they take advertising dollars so they must phony up their reviews" or "they didn't agree with me so they must be on the take".

I'm not naive enuought to think that it's not possible(live in the Chicago area) but these mags have reputations to maintain. How many people have worked for them over the years and nobody has "confessed" to slanting a story because a manufacturer was a big advertiser. These mags take ad dollars from just about every manufacturer so how would they decide who to favor unless there was huge payoffs.

I just wish people would stop saying unless they can actually prove it.
    What is the horse power of the Honda 6? What is the horsepower of the Sonata Turbo? That should answer your question.
    edited June 2010
    Suggest you visit this website for your answer.
    http://www.autoblog.com/2010/06/23/hyundai-new-2-0-turbo-hits-60-in-6-5-seconds-- - returns-34-mpg-hi/
    I also believe the 270HP Accord is priced around $36,000
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    The Accord EX V6 starts at $27.5k MSRP including destination.
    I must be reading you wrong. You're saying you can not compare a turbo to a V6.

Honda V6: 271 hp Torque: 254 ft-lbs.

Hyundai Turbo: 274HP and 269 lb-ft of torque

You most certainly can compare them.
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,290
    edited June 2010
    I've seen many, many people make this statement and I have once had anyone prove it or provide information to back it up other than "well, they take advertising dollars so they must phony up their reviews" or "they didn't agree with me so they must be on the take".

Next time someone tells you that ask them how much money CR spends in testing, gathering information, compiling information, writing reviews, laying out each issue, printing each issue and distribution costs. Then add in all the costs of the support (clerks, accountants, lawyers, custodians, receptionists and the like) and ask them if the $2-3 an issue CR charges covers all those costs.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

edited June 2010
    I also believe the 270HP Accord is priced around $36,000

What have you been smoking? The Acura TL is priced less than that and has 280hp and the base G37 with 328hp is priced at about $34115!
    edited June 2010
    I'm not smoking anything. When I was car shopping I can tell you that the Sonata SE I purchased was approx $6k less than an equivelent equiped Accord or Altima.
    I don't think there is a Honda made in the size and performance of the 2011 Sonata for the same price. However price was not the reason for my selection. In my opinion the styling of the new Sonata is much more appealing than the accord and the warranty is better than both Honda and Nissan.
    I even considered the Ford Fusion but again price was much higher for a less dramatic body style.
    Try this webpage:
    http://www.edmunds.com/new/2010/honda/accord/101201282/compare.html
    Where were you shopping where you found an Accord V6 priced at $36000?
  • ral2167ral2167 Member Posts: 791
    I suppose a sonata turbo would cost $36000 if you add special wheels, top spoilers, bottom spoilers, remote starters, etc etc. Let's get real tho.
    That's pretty funny. Does you SE have remote starter too?
  • kfdmedkfdmed Member Posts: 130
    http://www.fitzmall.com/fitzway/carfind/resultsa.asp

I have drove both the Maxima SV with premium package and the Sonata Limited. The Maxima is superior in every aspect. Adding the turbo is not going change that. Street prices for a loaded Sonata Turbo and a loaded Maxima will be not be that different. The extra grand or two for the Maxima is worth it. The Sonata turbo needs to be priced lower.
  • shabadoo25shabadoo25 Member Posts: 232
    Except you end up paying too much money for one of the most nondescript, boring looking cars in its price range.
  • conceptvbsconceptvbs Member Posts: 9
    1) Honda's V6 does not have cylinder deactivation.

2) Hyundai's Sonata turbo produces its peak torque of 269 lb ft from 1800rpm to 4400 rpm.
    Honda's V6's peak torque of 254 lb ft is produced @ 5000 rpm.

You need to rev crap out of the V6 to even get close to what the Sonata is producing at only 1800rpm.

You will IMMEDIATELY notice the power difference on the Sonata. 269 lb ft of torque is enough to throw you back in your seats
    My Sonata came with 18" premium wheels and pusbutton start. I am comparing the price I paid for my Sonata SE vs the equivelent Honda/Altima I priced in NY with similar features.
    Have you shopped for a Honda recently? Knock off the wise cracks. I'm a professional educated person and I know what I'm buying and speaking of. You don't have to like the Sonata or Hyundai corporation but give them their worth when they deserve it.
    Don't forget to add the extended warranty to compare the Honda to the Hyundai. You cannot buy an Accord/Altima with 10 yr warranty in the class of the Sonata SE for less than $29k plus sales tax.
    edited June 2010
    What's so funny? My Sonata came with pusbutton start and premium 18" wheels. As I said I priced it with same features as an Accord/Altima. Do me a favor and see if you can buy an Accord with the same or similar features as my Sonata SE with a 10 yr warranty for $23k.

Not to mention my Sonata is a 2011 vs 2010, Better styling, and roomier. My car turns heads everywhere I go. My neighbors Accord looks similar to the 2006 Sonata I previously owned.
  • kfdmedkfdmed Member Posts: 130
    It is better looking than the Accord, Camry, and Sonata. The Maxima's interior and drivetrain is far superior. The Maxima feels alot faster than the Sonata.