Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Hyundai Sonata

Comments

• jimbresjimbres Member Posts: 2,025
    And partly (actually largely) because of improved products, such as the 2011 Sonata, which can compete head-on with the best of the rest of its class.

Agreed, which is an excellent reason not to care about resale value. Once you've decided that car X is at the top of its class & is the best car for you, how much more do you need to know?
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    I think the diffenence between a WAG and an educated guess is the difference between your estimate of resale value and ALGs. Plus the fact that they get paid a lot of money for theirs.

You're basing your whole premise on how you do things and what you think is important and extrapulate that to the general public. Lots of people don't own a car for 8-10 years, they might keep it 3-4 years, so resale value is very important to them. I'm not saying that's the most economical way to it but that is their perogative and I'm not telling anybody what they should or shouldn't do. People that lease obviously consider resale(residual) very important because their payment is based on it. Just because you do things a certain way that makes resale value not that important to you, don't assume that is how most people do it or should do it.

As long as we're bragging, I also pay cash for my new vehicles and have so for the last twenty years. I've also been buying cars for 45 years so I guess that makes me an authority on other peoples buying habits, huh? Not.

I do agree that resale value shouldn't be foremost in the buying decision but just another factor. However, depending the individual, it may rank higher for some versus others like yourself.
    You're basing your whole premise on how you do things and what you think is important and extrapulate [sic] that to the general public. Lots of people don't own a car for 8-10 years, they might keep it 3-4 years, so resale value is very important to them.

No, I'm wasn't extrapolating from my experiences. I apologize if lack of clarity on my part has given you that impression. And, yes, I know that I'm not a typical car buyer.

But I have yet to meet a buyer for whom resale value really matters. (He seems to occupy that same mythical space as the guy who always remembers his wife's birthday & never forgets to put down the toilet seat.) Most of my friends call into the 3 to 5 year category, but as far as I can tell, resale value didn't play a big role in their buying decisions.

When I pump them for information about why they bought what they did - & I always do - their answers invariably come down to:

(1) seating & ride comfort (a real biggy for buyers over 45)
    (2) styling
    (3) carrying capacity ("I need something that will hold my golf clubs & my 2 hulking teenagers")
    (4) brand loyalty ("I'll never drive anything but a [fill in blank]")
    (5) convenience ("I always buy from [dealer name] because they're a block away from where I work")
    (6) fuel economy (for those with long commutes)
    (7) safety (real or perceived)
    (8) longstanding relationship with the salesman ("Stan & I go way back. He always gives me great deals.")
    (9) business related (given as a reason by stockbroker friends for buying 7-series BMWs or S-class Mercedes Benzes - to take clients to lunches)
    (10) male menopause (this applies to my extremely overweight 50-something neighbor who buys a new Porsche Boxster S every 3 years, even though he's too fat to fit comfortably behind the wheel & can drive it only about 500 miles per year).

Frequently,when a neighbor is bragging about his new car, he'll mention its high resale value. But when I press him for details, I find out that this really didn't figure in his decision-making.

You're absolutely right about leasing. I forgot about that. Residual values directly affect monthly payments. I should have made it clearer that I was talking about buyers.
  • dave09sedave09se Member Posts: 20
    Sometimes I think their is too much arguing on forums and not just this one but all of them, someone takes something to heart and the real focus of the thread goes in a different direction, for example this was to be about the 2011 Sonata but now it is going towards how they figure out resale values, I would think if you would want to talk about resale values and how they are determined you should start a new discussion or search and see if there is a thread about that subject and discuss it there. Im interested in peoples input on the new car and their impressions of it.
    You're absolutely right. My apologies.

Impressions? Largely favorable. I think that it's the style leader in this segment. I'm also sorry that Hyundai doesn't offer a stick in the top trim group, but I'm not surprised. That's just the way the world is moving -- away from sticks.

I haven't driven it but I suspect that 200 hp should be more than adequate for most people. Still, it wouldn't surprise me if Hyundai offered a V-6 in a couple of years - around the time of the mid-cycle refresh.

I wouldn't buy one now because I make it a point to stay away from any new model, no matter who makes it, until it's been out for at least a year.

This will be a smashing sales success for Hyundai.
  • revitrevit Member Posts: 476
    This will be a smashing sales success for Hyundai.

Agree, going to take all those frustrated Toyota owners who cannot stop their cars.

Hyundai has done it again!
  • dave09sedave09se Member Posts: 20
    I really love my 09 SE except for the noisy suspension which isnt as bad as some that I have heard and I think in two more years Im gonna get the new body style everything seems to be positive so far.200 hp will be plenty for me I have the 175 hp 2.4 now and it runs great. I think Im gonna go for the limited next time though.
  • syitalian25syitalian25 Member Posts: 303
    Don't forget that the Sonata also has "fuzzy logic" transmission which can make a huge difference in the way the car shifts with the automatic. I have a hard time believing that the 200HP/3200 lb. Sonata could be slower to 60 than the 169HP/3363 lb. Camry.

Maybe the original video is the Korean version? Also check out this video - same race taken from a different angle. The Sonata won by a long shot this time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjY5Hz0FHts&feature=related
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Keep in mind that a turbo 4 is coming pretty soon, in the neighborhood of 250 hp. If so, that would match the power of the V6 in the 2010 Sonata. Hyundai might be serious about no V6 in the Sonata. Shoot, if BMW can switch over to only I4s in the new 5 Series (reported to be their plan in a couple of years), why not only I4s in the Sonata?
  • newowner10newowner10 Member Posts: 227
    I heard the jet engine in the Sonata kick-in at40 MPH
  • poodog13poodog13 Member Posts: 320
    I definitely consider resale value as part of my buying process, along with purchase price, MPG, reliability, warranty, and expected maintenance costs. It all figures in to the total cost of ownership and can result in a $20,000 car actually being more expensive than a $23,000 car at the end of the day.

I also have never forgotten my wife's birthday, and in 5 years of marriage have never once been yelled at for leaving the seat up.
  • kaliforniakkaliforniak Member Posts: 51
    I drove by a Hyundai dealership (Tuttle Click) here in Southern California after getting some stuff done on my Mazda6 but it seems like they still don't have it. They got plenty of Genesis but no Sonata. I find this to be very strange. Dealers from NC seems to have them in stock but no CA?

Oh well...maybe this means a good deal on a Genesis at the end of the year if they can't move them.
  • LASHAWNLASHAWN Member Posts: 303
    Does anyone know when the turbo model will come out? I've heard probably before the year is out or next spring.
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,290
    I definitely consider resale value as part of my buying process

Personally I never consider resale value when considering a car. Personally the two things I look at first are if I like the car and does it fit ny needs for the foreseeable future.

As an accountant I would actually advise against considering resale value. The reason why is that there is a certain level of irony in using resale value in determining if you will buy a car. Considering resale value means that you have plans in selling the car after a certain number of years so you can recoup more of your initial investment when you buy a new car. However if you truly want to be fiscally prudent you would hold onto the car until it was just about run into the ground. Keeping one car 12 years is much less expensive than buying 3 or 4 cars over that time frame.

So basically if you keep a car for 10-15 years and put on 150-200K miles than resale value is practically meaningless.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• pyehpyeh Member Posts: 3
    its been out, now lets find what people are paying and what they are getting for trade. i would like the se or limited and have been quoted msrp. i also have 2003 santa fe with 115000 to trade. any answers
  • 8babies1dog8babies1dog Member Posts: 122
    hi, I found out at the plant tour a turbo model is in the
    plans to be out in the fall, not sure of HP they said it
    wasn't decided yet, he also said the V6 shop is still
    open and anything is possible, Plant tour was awesome!!!
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,382
    I am still amazed that 200 HP in a mid size car (and one that is not particulary overwieght) is not considered to be too little.

Considering millions of accord/camry/malibu/etc. buyers over the years have done just fine with way less than that, I think it should be able to get out of it's own way.

ANd isn't the take rate on the V6 on the CamCord only in the 10% range?

SO I don't think it will hold sales back any, and the Turbo should be a nice compromise for the minority that just needs more HP.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• caseybrucaseybru Member Posts: 47
    The GLS and the Limited will wear Kumho tires and the SE will wear Hankook tires. The Hankook tires can be replaced for $155 ea. and the Kumho's for about $145 ea. I haven heard much about handling in snow but I live in the northeastern Ca. mountains and with all the safety features in handling and braking and the fact the Sonata is front wheel drive, I believe it will handle very nicely in snow and on ice.
  • mattydmattyd Member Posts: 21
    "Does anyone know when the turbo model will come out? I've heard probably before the year is out or next spring."

Here in Canada it looks like the turbo and hybrid are arriving this year.

http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blogs/posteddriving/archive/2010/02/10/toront- o-auto-show-starts-friday.aspx
    A few people saw a video that showed a race between a Camry and a Sonata and the Camry looked like the Camry was ahead for a few seconds and that got the boy racers panties in a twist. I say looked because it looks different from different angles/different videos. I would say if that is what is most important to them then they probably should be looking at a different class of cars.

You're right about the take rate on the V6, somewhere between 10-15%, closer to 10% I believe. Will Hyundai lose all of those V6 buyers? I doubt it. A lot, if they like Hyundai period, will opt for turbo when it becomes available. Some will probably think that 198/200 hp is adequate after all. They may lose the rest which I think is a very small number considering they are really trying to ensure they remain the "leading mpg car manufacturer in the US". No trucks helps that claim to a large degree in my opinion.
  • hhr06hhr06 Member Posts: 47
    PLENTY OF SONATA'S HERE IN CENTRAL FLORIDA. SAW A GLS YESTERDAY WITH A 2 TONE INTERIOR IT WAS OUT STANDING. TAN SEATS FRONT AND BACK. TAN AND BLACK TRIM ON DASH AND DOORS. SO CLOSE TO GETTING ONE BUT HAVE A 2007 MIATA COMING OFF LEASE IN JUNE. THIS IS HOLDING ME UP, ESPECIALLY WITH HYUNDAI $199@MONTH LEASE.FOR 36MONTHS THIS DEALERSHIP HAD 4 LIMITEDS . LOADED CAR FOR FOR 26500.ONLY OPTION IS NAVAGATION
  • hhr06hhr06 Member Posts: 47
    A LOT OF CAR FOR THE MONEY ESPECIALLY WITH THE WARRENTY.
    Please don't post in all caps. It insinuates you're shouting and is hard to read.
  • fragilemnfragilemn Member Posts: 16
    Wow thats great news! No suspension noise would be a godsend. I'm really excited to see the new 2011's. I know I will take a hit on my 2009 if I trade it already, but it might be worth it to me. I only have 12,000 on it so plenty of warranty left.
  • sgk09sgk09 Member Posts: 3
    Good specs, well ahead of competition, aggressive pricing and options.

Most people look for safety, economy, handling, finish, price, comfort in a family sedan. Very few care I4/v6,0-60 etc.(most family sedans are I4 in 15- 30k range)

Old days v8 was in huge size and heavy, v6 replaced with better power and less weight, now I4 will take over to give way to Turbo in future.

With reduction in weight, new engine technology and 6 speed box, 2011 Sonata has reduce gap between I4-v6 and improved fuel economy guess very few family guys will notice any change in acceleration, lane changing.

I have been a long pro-[non-permissible content removed] guy and have loved Honda, Subaru of the lot till 2006, when I was in market for a car, Honda snobs pushed me to a new Sonata 06 LX loaded. I save 5K upfront and had more features like ESC. I am glad I changed. Love the car, Shiftronic stick.

Regarding resale price, I know, I saved upfront for a better car with great warranty, peace of mind. I normally do not change with models, so what I get few years down the road is not a major issue but if the Hyundai stay course, it will improved a lot, considering recent Toyota/Honda problems.

I know first year model have teething problems but now Hyundai is well learnt from past mistake and put my trust in 2006 and do not regret. Not any problem so far except ESC recall and washer pump which they took care very well at my time.
    I am in market to add another car in stable but wait a while for better rebate when dust settles in couple of months.

I had driven Honda EX I4, even though Honda engines are smooth, it made lot of noise in aggressive driving at higher rev. How this Sonata engine is? Has anyone got a test? I yet to see one and test drive.

I wish Hyundai has split options like Nav/Sun roof. New solid state Nav should be trouble free.

Keep experience comments flowing......Happy Hyundaing....... :)
  • norm8_lakesnorm8_lakes Member Posts: 41
    Does anyone know if they plan on receiving any Pearl White 2011 Sonata Limited in Broward County in the near future, because I'm getting anxious about buying one.?
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,382
    good point about the packaging. As someone that requires a moonroof, but has no desire to pay for a nav, the $2,600 package is a tad excessive.

I imagine that is just for the rollout though. Otherwise they will lose some sales over it.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    That link in # 371 is causing messages to be
    chopped off on my monitor.
    Check the text size in your browser. If using Internet Explorer go to View, Text Size and then chose "larger" or "medium". Should fix.
  • audirs4audirs4 Member Posts: 13
    The Lexus IS 250 had 184lb ft of torque out of a V6 motor.Easy to get to 40k on that car. Thats' pretty paltry in todays market.

The V6 market on all Camrys and Accords is thin. Most people are price shoppers and they opt for the 4cyl.

4 cyl motors are the future with Turbo's. Audi makes 258lb ft od torque out of a 2 litre Turbo 4. Why have a 6 when a 4 is so close and 2-3 MPG better. I'd take a turbo 4 with high torque over a V6 anyday in a smaller car like the Sonata.
  • chronochrono Member Posts: 149
    edited February 2010
    Alot of companies are moving in this direction. Look at Ford. They putting turbo's in just about all their cars and trucks with the EcoBoost. I think BMW is even using more turbos ..
    edited February 2010
    I currently own a 2004 Sonata V6 that only makes 170 HP and 181 lb. torque, which believe it or not feels really fast in that little car. I put an air intake into it, bumping it to about 180hp/190 torque or so.

Considering the new Sonata is so lightweight (not 3500 lbs. like the 2010 V6) I expect the 200 HP I4 to move plenty fast. Believe me, I test drove the 2010 Sonata V6 SE and it just didn't feel like it had the same punch when you hit the gas pedal as even my 2004 does, mostly thanks to the added weight of that car. My girlfriend agreed also. The 2010 V6 does 0-60 in a little over 7 seconds, which I expect the new Sonata can almost match even with the smaller engine.

The turbo is going to be awesome, but I am wondering what they will cost. If they add $2000 to the SE that means you are up to almost $25,500 with the destination charge.. still a good deal if they crank out enough horsepower to beat the next generation of V6 competition like Accord and Camry. Maybe we can pray for something really high like 290?
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    m6user,

Thanks for the tip.
    Maybe we can pray for something really high like 290?

Don't know who you're praying to but I highly doubt it will be anywhere close to 290. Maybe 260ish but probably closer to 250. Remember, the name of the game going forward is called CAFE. Hyundai is leading the pack at this point and wants to stay ahead. They aren't making a race car here, it is a family sedan. If all they wanted to do was make the Sonata go fast, they have engines that would do the job. But that would suck gas and that is not the direction they are heading.
  • wolverinejoe80wolverinejoe80 Member Posts: 337
    John Krafcik clearly stated that the turbo will have over 249hp in his interview. i'm guessing 260-270hp rang .
  • wolverinejoe80wolverinejoe80 Member Posts: 337
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExCC_kcQ2bE

it looks much better in person. ya'll need to go check it out. i was amazed. This destroys Camry, Accord, Altima, and fusion. I do have soft spot for Malibu, but i gotta admit Sonata is better looking.
  • ay50ay50 Member Posts: 11
    Just a reality check on your seat of the pants comparison between your 2004 Sonata V6 and a 2010 Sonata V6 SE. Car and Driver rated a 2009 SE at 6.9 seconds for 0-60 mph while Consumer Guide lists the 2004 V6 at 8.7 seconds for 0-60 so there's really no comparison between the two. It's also not surprising considering the 249 to 170 hp difference.

One final point, I can understand all the excitement over the new engines coming out for the 2011 Sonata but don't forget that the V6 is IMO a darn good engine in its own right.
    edited February 2010
    Oh don't misunderstand, I know the 2010 V6 is definiately faster than the 2004. I'm just saying that the extra weight was definitely evident under acceleration. The 2010 felt more like a Buick than a Mazda 6. And on my 2004 the air intake was a big improvement, I was doing 0-60 in 8 seconds flat when the car wasn't so old.

I'm just saying that the direction of the new Sonata is a winning combination in any car - more HP and more importantly less weight. If I wanted maxium HP regardless of weight, I'd just buy a semi. 1000+ HP, damn they must fly! Oh wait it's 15 tons.
  • laflairlaflair Member Posts: 7
    I had the 04 V6 Sonata and a now new 09 V6 Limited. There is a great difference in pickup between the two cars. The 04 was a good little car but not in the same class as the 249 HP V6, even with weight considerations ( if I recall correctly, the 04 Sonata weighed around 3250 lbs , so it was not exatcly a lightweight)
  • poodog13poodog13 Member Posts: 320
    As an accountant I would actually advise against considering resale value. The reason why is that there is a certain level of irony in using resale value in determining if you will buy a car. Considering resale value means that you have plans in selling the car after a certain number of years so you can recoup more of your initial investment when you buy a new car. However if you truly want to be fiscally prudent you would hold onto the car until it was just about run into the ground. Keeping one car 12 years is much less expensive than buying 3 or 4 cars over that time frame.

First, let's not compare an accountant with a financial advisor, that credential is entirely irrelevant to this conversation. Secondly, while it is indisputable that owning a car until the repair costs exceed the costs of replacement maximizes the benefit of your investment, it's also fairly uncommon. It would be terrible financial advice to tell someone who knows with relative certainty that they will only own the car for a certain number of years that to use decision criteria that does not follow their expected future behavior.

This would be akin to telling someone in their early sixties that they should have all of their retirement funds in equities (historically high return compared to other asset classes) even though they are retiring in a few years and would be at great risk for significant losses within that timeframe.

Don't throw out a credential as support for a faulty arguement.
    edited February 2010
    I went thru the Alabama car plant a week or two back and got pretty friendly with
    a pretty high up guy, and he said probably the fall, the HP rating has not
    been
    really determined, it is still in the test stage.

Hope this helps.. Gary

PS, I am still in full contact with him we share our views good or bad, it was his
    idea to stay in contact he respected what I had to say. I told him about being on
    the forum, he calls for info. You want a reasonable answer I can get it, if it
    has not been released yet I can't pass it on. Have a good weekend!
  • bamacarbamacar Member Posts: 749
    edited February 2010
    Your source did not happen to mention if or when the 4 cylinder GDI engines would go or start going in the Santa Fe or Tucson, did they?
  • batch5batch5 Member Posts: 13
    edited February 2010
    Not sure if this was posted yet but invoice pricing for all trims is on Edmunds (not including dest charge or any options. Invoice shown first)

GLS, man: $18,390 / $19,195
    GLS, auto: $19,335 / $20,195
    SE: $21,377 / $ 22,595
    Limited: $23,648 / 25,295
    edited February 2010
    I did not ask him that question but since the Sonata and the Santa fe are the only
    vehicles they make there, he said some changes were in store for the Santa Fe,
    Hope that helped!

Just for info and point of interest I can give information on how to set up a tour.
    It is very informative, if you have a chance, don't miss it, and it,s free!
  • chronochrono Member Posts: 149
    Wow, gls auto is such a good price! Going to wait 6 months to make sure any issues are sorted out then I'll start looking. The Sonata just went to the top of my list.
    Take this for what it,s worth I have a 2009 SE V6, I waited till it had been out and
    tested. The 09 and 2010 are 1 in the same, off the assembly line 1 behind the
    other. The subject is 0-60 2004 V6 V/ 2009 V6 six. If what I see above on the
    2004 is accurate, just pull up to me side by side, I will leave mine in auto with
    the ESC on, stand back and watch what happens.

OK on the 0-60 for the 2009 V6, the 6.9 was an average it went as high as 7.3
    and as low as 6.6 this was the first set of test runs by people not familiar with
    all the aspects of how this vehicle is designed. First of all on the engine the
    HP rating of 249 is at about 6000 to 6200 RPM's, on the auto side it will shift
    at a preset time or speed. This will cause a loss of RPM', HP, and torque.
    If you have 1 try it. Now in the manuel side you control the shift time 6000,
    7000, redline whatever you can stand " the car will stand it" or it would not
    be built that, remember the warranty. Now a major factor, the gear ratio in
    manuel is much lower than auto. I don,t remember the exact numbers but 1'st
    in the manuel is like 411 (if you are from the old school like me) you know
    what that is, compared to the auto side under 300. Huge difference, now add
    a very, very important factor the ESC, with it on will limit the torque to the
    drive wheels to prevent tire to surface traction, shifting traction from wheel
    to wheel, in manuel you have positive traction another huge difference no lose
    of RPM or tourqe. The idea comes from the B&M shifter on cars made for the
    1/4 mile track, less shifting more HP and touque delivered. Now you put all
    these factors in play to get off the line with a real 1/4 mile driver you get very
    low 6,s averages, say like 6.4 and below 6.0. Owners of the 09/10 SE V6 go
    where it's safe with plenty room and no traffic, drop it in manuel 1st and take
    the ESC off, and get ready for a jump you never thought your little midize family
    sedan had. Please be very carefull if it,s your 1'st time you can easily loose
    control so take it easy to start. Try it and come back and tell everyone if I'm
    i'm full of crap or not, remember I'm from the old school. LOL
  • ay50ay50 Member Posts: 11
    Very interesting comment about turning the ESC off and going to manual mode. I do use manual mode about half the time when I'm driving. I assume when you say you can "easily lose control" you're referring to excessive torque steer. I'll give it a shot as soon as all the snow goes away.
  • autoacumenautoacumen Member Posts: 1
    If your main objective in a vehicle purchase is high resale value your best bet is to put your money in a safe productive investment and buy a clunker to drive. Or take the bus. When I buy a car I want something that is fun to drive, looks good and I am damn proud to own it. Perhaps 5 or 6 percent of new car buyers really base their purchase on resale value. Most want a car that when they drive it, it runs down their leg. (figuratively speaking).
    P.S. Most contributors appear to know a great deal about cars. Too bad they don't know how to spell.
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,290
    My whole argument is that using resale value as a gauge for buying a car is faulty logic as it presumes selling the car while there is still plenty of life left in it (or else why consider it) and you are making a financially sound decision. However trading in cars every 3-5 years is not being financially sound.

This would be akin to telling someone

No, it would be akin to telling someone who is about to replace a perfectly good couch with a brand new one only because he has a 50% off coupon and thinks they are saving money with the purchase.

Do complain about others using faulty logic when you use it so freely yourself.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• dash5dash5 Member Posts: 421
    Yeah I'm with you. I have yet to see one in person yet so it's not a sure thing by any means, but based on what I'm seeing it's at the top of my list too.

As to the turbos others are mentioning, what are the downsides of turbo engines? Other than less MPG I'm assuming, which is fine, do they typically have more maintenance troubles?