Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Hyundai Sonata

Comments

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,149
    Agreed! I'm not an owner, but I do find this discussion fascinating, and it's very active.

There is no "one perfect car" for everyone, and I think people who stress that any car is without a downside, or dismiss negative comments about the vehicle, are actually doing more harm than good for the model under discussion. Satisfied owners and enthusiasts are great, but when we dismiss comments or call "troll" on anyone who doesn't agree 100%, that's not cool.

I know that the next vehicle I purchase won't be perfect. I'm OK with that. I also like that these forums are places where anyone can hang out, talk about the vehicle, and get information. It's also nice that people here are so helpful to those arriving here with questions!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• schdyschdy Member Posts: 233
    This is from our Host:
    The allegation is incorrect. Believe it or not, we actually have ways of screening out certain reviews.

Do you disagree with her also?
    edited July 2010
    I also like that these forums are places where anyone can hang out, talk about the vehicle, and get information.

Do you really think for anyone (a non owner or someone with no first hand knowledge of the car or maybe even a competitor) bashing the car is helpfull to someone who may be interested in purchasing the car . Sorry but I disagree!

I being straight can you imagine how much help I would be to a Gay Forum. How about an Atheist participating in a Catholic Forum. Just examples to get my point across.
  • jimbresjimbres Member Posts: 2,025
    Look at your mouse. Chances are that it has a little scroll wheel on top. Use that to scroll past the posts that you think unfairly "bash" (whatever that means) the Sonata.

That's what I do to keep my sanity, & I've been an Edmunds member since 1998.
    edited July 2010
    I know how to do as you said but how about the new member who joined to get information in preparation of buying the car. Being misled by ficticious bashers is no help to them and being a member of a Forum I believe there should be a checks and balance to assure they don't get erroneous info from us. Sure as owners we may be biased but they know we are owners and can do with the info whatever they like. But if I'm a Honda dealer and I bash the car and they have no knowledge of my bias, are they getting benefit from this Forum?
    Example: I'm a Verizon dealer and I post on the Sprint Forum all the problems I'm having with Sprint and another large number of posters do the same. If you were planning on buying a cellphone is it possible we may influence your decision to avoid Sprint?
    I know your intentions were positive but I was raised and worked all my life helping the less fortunate. It hurts me to see someone being provided with deceptive information. So scrolling my mouse will alleviate my problem but what about the people I'm suppose to be helping here.
  • mccallrmccallr Member Posts: 19
    I've only had my 2011 Sonata for about 4 days, but noticed that everytime I turn on my radio, it downloads my cell's phonebook. At first, I thought this was awesome, but now I would rather it not download it unless I want it to since you can't make a call during the download. Has anyone figured out how to have the car's bluetooth "On" and the cell phone's bluetooth "On" but NOT have the car download the phonebook everytime I get into the car and turn on the radio?
    I did delete about 50 old entries in my cell's phonebook so the download process only takes about 2-3 minutes, but I'd still like to be able to get into the car and call someone (using the car's bluetooth feature) without having to wait for the download.
  • jimbresjimbres Member Posts: 2,025
    So scrolling my mouse will alleviate my problem but what about the people I'm suppose to be helping here.

Don't worry about them. They're not your problem. Sooner or later, they'll find what they're looking for - if not here, then somewhere else.

You're here for your own entertainment & education - not to help anyone else.

I don't know how much experience you have with this stuff, but I've been online since the 1980s, back when the only way to get online was to subscribe to proprietary services like CompuServe (better known as CI$ to those of us who paid their outrageous hourly charges) & GEnie (my personal favorite). I've seen people go absolutely ballistic while arguing about word processing software - yes, word processors - & I've learned to shrug this stuff off.

I'm not here to help you. I'm here because it's too hot & muggy to go outside & it's too early to start drinking. If I actually post something that you find useful, I'm glad, but that's not why I'm here. I'm really here to entertain & amuse myself.

Your online experience will greatly improve once you learn to ignore or laugh at the stuff that bothers you.

As always, my advice is worth exactly what I'm charging for it.
    I love listening to the Sonata's XM radio (free for 90 days) and was wondering if anyone extended their subscription. Since I can't look at the back of the radio, and didn't notice anything about a serial number in the thick owner's manual, was there supposed to be a card or something in the glove box which provides the info for the XM satellite people? I'm assuming my XM radio won't work 90 days after I purchased the car. Also, if you extend the subscription, do you get the rest of the year or a full 12 months when you extend? Thanks.
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    edited July 2010
    You're here for your own entertainment & education - not to help anyone else.

Appreciate the +1 and same to you. However, people have many different reasons to be on here. Your's obviously is the least stressful. But if others want to help others that is perfectly all right, in fact, it's very neighborly of them. It's how they "help" that bothers me. You hit it on the head....just scroll past. I've been reading this forum since the first post and to tell you the truth I have not seen any non-owner bashing the Sonata. A couple of owners had some pretty heavy complaints and one went a little overboard but that was an owner that had a very emotional experience and went a little ditsy.

The only non-owner that posts fairly regularly simply references review points from auto writers that aren't favorable to the Sonata and it drives a lot of the owners crazy. I haven't seen where he has lied or made up anything, it's just negative stuff that are in print or from other owners. While I "scroll past" pretty much, I think he provides just as good as information as other people that have nothing to say except they love their new car and haven't had any problems with it. What's the difference?

Another thing that gets really tiring is when someone doesn't like the new Sonata they have to be Honda employee or some kind of industry plant. Unless someone has proof of that they should just shut up because it makes them appear very paranoid.

People that find and visit these forums are not stupid little puppy dogs that need a guardian angel to look out for them.

Anyway, I would like to know the answer to the bluetooth question in regards to downloading the phonebook. I can see where it would be a little bothersome to have to wait several minutes to make a phone call everytime you enter the car without turning your bluetooth off. It's things like that that are interesting to me as a potential buyer even though it not exactly a positive.
  • hmma007hmma007 Member Posts: 19
    Go to channel 1 then tune down to channel 0, your radio ID will be displayed.
  • ewg54ewg54 Member Posts: 25
    I have the Dimension radio in my car and I have not fiquered this download problem either, and I notice that it might be a memory problem everytime you turn off the car and go back in and turn it on the radio has reload (read) whatever you were listening to before you turned it off. My GM car does not have to reload XM everytime and it remembers my CD preference as I like to play it as random but the Sonata radio can't remember that . I don't know if the other radio in the Sonata I think it is Infinty or somethig has the same issues. :(
    Like me you should get a call approx 1 mo prior to your free period ending. They offered me 6mos for around $32.
    Each time I start my car I get the message "loading contacts" also. I believe it's suppose to work that way to keep your radio updated in real time. I use voice dialing so having the contacts updated is beneficial.
    The only annoying thing I have not been able to eliminate is while I'm driving that female comes on and asks me to develop a new profile for a second driver. One time I said yes and while I was driving new sentences were being displayed and I had to speak them. Not safe so I turned off the radio. Now when she comes on I hit the cancel call button.
  • norm8_lakesnorm8_lakes Member Posts: 41
    I extended it for another year for basic package that came to $136. Your radio ID number is the first channel you'll see the serial # (or the one before it). The sound is fantastic. I drove from South Florida to Northern Virginia and never lost a station.
    I use voice dialing so having the contacts updated is beneficial.

Agreed, that's the safest way. It just seems bothersome to have to wait several minutes everytime you enter the car to make a call until your phonebook from your phone is uploaded to the car system. I would think for salespeople or others that are in and out of their car a lot it would kind of be a pain. Just wonder if there is some kind of fix to make it quicker. I guess having a really small number of entries in your phone would help some.

A workaround might be to dial the phone manually before you turn the car on so that you would already be on the call when the phonebook was uploading or maybe it would wait to upload until you finished your call.
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Member Posts: 2,242
    Don't know if the Tucson Ltd has the 'exact' same bluetooth, but my wife's car will only download the contacts if you navigate to a particular menu and tell it to download.
  • dash5dash5 Member Posts: 421
    I was just going to post that. I like the styling, moreso than the gas version I think. At least the front. As to the hybrid powertrain itself I'd have to hear more about what it means in terms of things I care more about: handling, road noise, general performance. I'm not into the whole "greener than thou" halo as the article puts it.
    Thanks. I hope I get offered that same deal. It wouldn't be worth $15 a month to me since I'm not in the car more than 1 hour a day, but I'd sure take the 6 months for $32.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,149
    Do you really think for anyone (a non owner or someone with no first hand knowledge of the car or maybe even a competitor) bashing the car is helpfull to someone who may be interested in purchasing the car . Sorry but I disagree!

Well, I understand that you have your perspective, but when it comes to how we run these forums, it's not relevant. And again, we have been underestimated - we are pretty well in-tune with determining the difference between a troll, and someone who doesn't happen to like the car.

Yes, occasionally non-owner perspectives are helpful - for example, if someone has test driven the Sonata and chose another vehicle, it is helpful to know their likes & dislikes, and what feature(s) made them choose another vehicle. This discussion doesn't exist to persuade people what a great car the Sonata is. It is, rather, to provide members with a variety of perspectives - they can analyze the credibility of each perspective for themselves, and determine whether the same likes / dislikes might apply to them.

Back when dinosaurs roamed the internet, we had "owner" and "fan" forums. Guess what? They actually attracted more trolls. Regardless of how one tries to get their point across, the fact is that we are going to continue to allow this to be a discussion available for all opinions, providing they conform to our Membership Agreement. That's just how we roll.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

edited July 2010
    Beat ya to it! I always wonder how living in the midwest with the cold winters affects the battery and performance. I also wonder how you'd get rid of it if you kept it very long as who would want to buy a 5-6yr old one wondering if you're going to have to put a new battery$$$ in it shortly. Or if you kept it ten years are you going to have to pay someone to take off your hands?

It did sound like this one pretty much drives and rides like the gas model though. I drive probably 50/50 and live in midwest so hybrids just don't excite me that much.
    edited July 2010
    Sorry, hit post twice.
    When you say the first channel, are you talking about the first preset #1? I already programmed that for a station. I'm not sure how to jump to satellite channels yet. I've been using the seek command and one of the round knobs to move from channel to channel. I'll have to keep turning the dial to see if a number appears. Thanks.
  • johnwhojohnwho Member Posts: 19
    I agree, kirstie h -

The advice I would give is that when you read anything negative about any automobile on the Edmund forums, you should not take it at face value. Sure, no car is perfect and they will all have some negatives, but we must all take care when evaluating whether a statement is factual, an opinion, or a deliberate attempt to denigrate a particular make/model.

If I was interested in buying an automobile and I came to this (or some other forum) for information on that automobile, I would not allow posted negatives to effect my interest. I might take note and look for certain items when I go to see and test drive the vehicle, of course. For example, earlier in this thread someone said the 2011 Sonata is "noisy", yet, as I mentioned, on a smooth road I find it to be very quiet. My advice then - go test drive one and decide for yourself. But don't cross the Sonata off of your list because some person who may never have actually been in a Sonata said it is noisy. (I'm not accusing the poster in the thread here of anything - I'm just using this as an example.)

I put more stock in the "professional" reviews since they actually have driven not only the vehicle being reviewed but also many, if not all, of the other make/models in the same segment. I'm also careful how I view the professionals negative or "con" comments, too. Sometimes it is clearly opinion (like the often dislike of the Mazda3's "smiley face" front end), yet it has absolutely no bearing on whether it is really a good buy for the money. However, it may impact heavily on those who might consider the vehicle. A positive opinion doesn't hurt anything but a negative one may not only affect sales but also may cause a buyer to not check out a vehicle that they would really have found to be "perfect" for them.

Just how I see it.
  • ral2167ral2167 Member Posts: 791
    just use the knob and turn it till you get to channel 0 -- then copy down the code and the 800 number
  • denp3denp3 Member Posts: 99
    I also got the same deal. $4.99 a month plus tax, came out to around $35.00 for 6 months.
    I'm sure it's the same. I haven't received the bill yet but $35 is probably correct. I forgot the taxes.
  • shot_mosshot_mos Member Posts: 24
    Touch-up paint MIGHT work, but it depends on how deep the scratch is. If you just use the touch-up paint, realize that you'll still see the divot if you get close enough.

I like the bumper sticker idea myself. :)

At a shop, paint match won't be a problem. They (shops) will either custom order the paint or may already have it available in their paint booths. This might be more costly than you realize; you'd have to pay to remove the bumper cover, sand down the divot, use bumper filler compound, smooth it down, paint the whole bumper and clear coat the whole bumper, and then put the bumper cover back on. Ballpark $300-500.

Some shops might take shortcuts and leave the bumper cover on when they do the surface fill, but even with tape masking you might have overspray of paint. :(
  • shot_mosshot_mos Member Posts: 24
    There are several factors that go into determining an insurance rate. Part of it comes from your home address, your driving record, sometimes your credit score, but other parts of the calculation come from:
    - Collision/Comprehensive : how much do parts cost? How expensive would it be to replace your vehicle?
    - Liability : how much damage could your vehicle do to another vehicle?

Traditionally, you'll see that liability costs increase as you get into larger, heavier vehicles.

Not in underwriting but an insurance nerd.
  • jerrycupjerrycup Member Posts: 6
    I live in Dallas, and it's HOT. I notice that (in practically all cases) when I get in that car in the late afternoon heat, it takes fully 3 minutes for the air conditioning to start delivering cool air. I get air that has no hint of coolness, then after that 3 minutes, a fairly rapid cooldown. Seems to be the case in either normal or recirculate. The system is able to handle the plus 100 heat load after those few minutes with no lapses. Anyone else seeing this? A "feature"?
    I know our previous vehicle, '04 Yukon would do that. In the auto mode the fan would only run slowly for the first minute or two, then pick up. I was told that it had something to do with extreme heat in the a/c system, R134A, and stressing the compressor. I am no A/C guy, but we put 70K on that Yukon over 6 years, and it did it from day one and never had a failure. Three minutes after starting, and the thing would blow air 30d colder than amibient when comparing inlet air (outside) to outlet air at the dash vent.
  • targettuningtargettuning Member Posts: 1,371
    I believe the AC system has to purge the various air tubes and vent runs of 140+ degree heated air (heat soaked from sitting all day in a closed car) so yes you will get "hot" air before getting cold air. I think it is perfectly normal and makes sense if you think about it.
    Sounds like more than just the normal "clearing out the hot air from the vent system". They mentioned it was a solid 3 minutes. I've never had an A/C system take that long before getting cool or cold air. Usually takes about 20-50 secs depending on hot it is out on the vehicles I've had. I remember test driving a previous Sonata on a hot August day and the A/C was one of the things that I noted I liked. It blew cold like crazy....very quickly. Three minutes would bother me a little bit too.
  • LASHAWNLASHAWN Member Posts: 303
    Here in Savannah, GA. When it's over 100d with the heat index, it doesn't matter what kind a car you drive; you'd have to wait at least 2-3 minutes before the a/c blew out cold air if your vehicle sat in the sun unprotected all day. If it took that long at the beginning of the day, say around 8-9am, than I'd be concerned.

On another note. I just visited the Hyundai Plant yesterday and really found it amazing how they make these cars out of metal thinner than a dime. In the 1 1/2 hour time my son and I were there, they made over 200 Sonatas and Santa Fes. 2 Sonatas for every 1 Santa Fe. And if I understood the guy correctly, every new Sonata will now have a better/upgraded horn. Not sure about the one's made since December though.
    1 car drops off the Final line every 54 seconds or so :P

The average Team Member in General Assembly loses 10 pounds or more their first 3 months on the job.

Too bad you couldn't come into the paint plant, did you get to see the Paint Shop Showroom on the tour? It's hard to believe there's over 4 miles of conveyor in our shop until you have to walk it trouble shooting an issue or cleaning ;)

I'm glad you enjoyed the tour, we're proud of our plant. Come on back and visit soon!
  • alookmanalookman Member Posts: 141
    I also wonder why front passenger seat is very low? my wife is short and she can barely see outside. May need to get a cushion for her. Never had a problem with Accord, Altima, Camry and Fusion that we test drove.

How long do they test drive a car before its shipped?
  • keyman2keyman2 Member Posts: 78
    A/C should not take along time,I have a 24 year old car it takes like the other post about 22-40 seconds,something is wrong with the 2011 Sonata if that's happening.I haven't bought mine yet because of health issues with my girlfrind but I hope all thses things i'm reading is just few to little.
  • cmunizcmuniz Member Posts: 604
    My wife also does not like how low the passenger's seat is. It is much lower than our Ford Fusion. However, we put a cushion on the seat and she seems to be much happier. Small price to pay for such a great car.
  • maringamaringa Member Posts: 36
    Sorry for being lazy to look this up, but does anyone have an idea when the turbo Sonatas will become available?
    We have a 2 1/2 mile test track that every car produced is driven on. I can't go into our exact test processes though, sorry. :blush: The car is tested as soon as the build is completed and it's not considered a "completed" car until it's passed all the static and track testing.

It's a very complex testing process, usually takes about 9 months to be considered a trained Track driver. I worked as a Quality Control Test driver for 4 1/2 years before changing positions.
    October is when you should see the turbo model in showrooms.
    I did see the paint shop showroom. Pretty cool how they paint the cars.
  • pianotupianotu Member Posts: 10
    Hi, I'm about to hit the 3 month mark on my 2011 limited. Living in NYC I only have about 1300 miles. I'm about to schedule the first service maintenance. My questions are: 1) Does anyone know what service will be performed other than the oil change (and filter change relates to that), 2) how long did you (or your car) stay in the shop, and 3) do I have to pay for this service (assuming the oil change is free)?

One of the reasons I ask is that I bought the car much farther than where I live and I rather get the service done at a nearer dealer, especially if all I will be getting for the first service is basically the oil change.

Thanks!
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Why would the oil change be free (unless the dealer provides that perk)?

Also, why are you changing the oil at 1300 miles? I suppose if all you do is very short trips, it would be a good idea, but the severe service interval is more than 1300 miles (what is it on the 2011 Sonata? 3000? 3750?). I don't drive my cars many miles so I go by miles vs. months. However, I don't go much beyond 6 months or so with dino oil--that's about 3000-3750 miles on my cars. I would go longer with synthetic, but none of my cars have it now.

When I get oil changes done on my 2 Hyundais at the dealer, I make an appointment and wait for the car--it's usually less than 30 minutes.
  • johnwhojohnwho Member Posts: 19
    edited July 2010
    pianotu -

If you have some sort of "Maintenance Package" with the dealer where you purchased the car - for example 1 year free maintenance - then it would make sense to take it back there. My dealer provided a free "1000 mile check-up", but the first actual service won't be until 3750 miles which includes an oil change.

Otherwise, I would suggest you go by your nearby dealer and talk to a Service Rep there. He/she should be able to set you up with service through that dealer.

Oh, if you haven't already, you can go to https://www.myhyundai.com/page/home (MyHyundai.com) and register your vehicle. You may get some useful information there such as a downloadable (pdf) file of the User's Manual.
    Yes, it's a 2011. I know 1300miles is probably too early too do oil change, but on the back of the "Maintenance Log" it says either 3 months or 3750 miles, which ever comes first. That's why I was wondering if they perform other check-ups besides the oil change then it'll be worth taking it in. Thanks for your comment and I will probably do it a bit later until I get closer 4 or 5 months, because with the current rate I won't hit 3750 miles for another 5 months.
    Thanks johnwho. I think all I get is free first oil change. I did registered my car and I will probably go to a dealer that's closer to me.

By the way, parking on the streets of NYC, I already have quite a few rare bumper scratches, mostly caused by other inconsiderate drivers trying to squeeze into tight parking spaces. Do any of you have experience with bumper paint job (it doesn't have to be a sonata)? I have a black Sonata, so it shouldn't be too hard as far as getting the right paint. I'm wondering about the price range and any other info people might have concerning this topic.

Thanks!
    My local dealer has been doing the first oil change service for free on new vehicles. When asked, I was told that there were several reasons.
    1. Good customer relations. Lets the customer know the dealer is there after the sale.
    2. Give the service department the chance to take care of any issues that come up early on.
    3. Also give the dealer a chance to check the vehicle out just to make sure everything is tight, trim, and where it should be.

True cost to the dealer is probably no more than $30-$40 for the effort, and is money well spent to both get the customer comfortable with bringing the car back for service as well as giving them that extra care that they will tell their friends about.

Smart.
  • ethandouethandou Member Posts: 15
    I remember 3750mi/3mo is for "severe" condition or heavy usage.