Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Hyundai Sonata

Comments

• ral2167ral2167 Member Posts: 791
    Am curious about smart key... specifically is it possible to accidently lock the key in the car?

I assume how it works is you keep the key in your pocket or and you start the car by a push button. Then when you leave the car you just take the key with you.

I also assume you still lock and unlock the car by pushing a button on the key.

Finally, is it useful/worthwhile ? Thanks.
  • midas69midas69 Member Posts: 118
    I also assume you still lock and unlock the car by pushing a button on the key.

While you can use the button on the key if you want, it's much easier to use the push button on the door handles to lock and unlock the doors. That way the key never has to leave our pocket.

And no, the outside door locks will not work if the key is left in the car. So you can't lock the key in the car.

And yes, the smart key is very useful and worthwhile. The lack of that as an option on the Fusion was one of the determining factors in my choice of the Sonata. After having it on my last car I didn't want to revert back.
  • pianotupianotu Member Posts: 10
    It's one of the best features! Unfortunately, I always have to use a club steering wheel lock parking on the street, so I still have to take the key chain out of my pocket; otherwise, you can simply leave your keys on you and just use the buttons on the two front doors to lock/unlock the car. It works for the trunk as well.
  • poodog13poodog13 Member Posts: 320
    always have to use a club steering wheel lock parking on the street

Why? Doesn't this vehicle have an anti-theft system?
  • sonatascottsonatascott Member Posts: 16
    I use a Club too, on all my cars. Including the 2011 Sonata. They are a proven deterrent. Thieves don't like extra hassles. Ask your insurance provider... Stock alarm systems lack many features, like motion detectors and glass breakage detectors. They are also defeatable by the more experienced car thief. They hate the Club, and I want to give them a reason to walk right by my car.
    I want to add factory fog lights to my 2011 GLS. Has anybody done this yet? I've been talking to Hyundai, and they will not be offering a "kit" for this upgrade. You can order replacement parts from the dealer for the SE or Limited models. This is pretty expensive, having to buy lots of individual parts. Any suggestions?
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Member Posts: 2,242
    If you want to go simple, just add the lights and wire them through a headlamp relay to the low beams. That way, they come on when you turn on the head lights, but go off when you switch to the high beams, just like the factory units. This way you don't have to buy and install the stalk with the fog light switch.

I did this for a buddies Mazda crossover. It has worked great for two years now.
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324
    My insurance company doesn't offer any discounts for using the club. An experienced car thief can get on off in 15 seconds.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• mazda6dudemazda6dude Member Posts: 283
    I am probably not the first one to have this dilemma, but I cannot decide between getting the SE or the GLS w/PEP. I would appreciate on some feedback on what you all think. I know the price difference is approximately $1500 or so.

I really like the SE, but know the GLS w/PEP is cheaper. Also, the SE has 18 inch tires compared to the GLS's 16 in tires. Is there a big difference in ride quality? I know it will be a lot cheaper replacing 16's then 18's and 16's will last longer. I do prefer a softer ride compared to a hard ride and want less road noise. At the moment I have a 2008 Honda Accord LX automatic.

Look forward to opinions/feedback. Thanks.
    Does the dual temp in the limited have a digital readout of interior temp? When i test drove the car, i didn't see any display of the temp.
    edited July 2010
    If you prefer the smoother ride over the sharper handling, definitely go with the GLS. Because, and this isn't just a Sonata statement, the short sidewall, high performance tires will always ride stiffer, and are prone to more road noise due to their more agressive tread patterns.

The same discussion has come up over on the Elantra Touring board. The GLS has a really nice ride, and good handling. The SE rides stiffer, but corners like a go-kart!.

I always liked go-karts. :)
  • petdogdfwpetdogdfw Member Posts: 26
    I just extended mine. They gave it to me for half price for 12 months.
    6.42 a month plus tax.
  • petdogdfwpetdogdfw Member Posts: 26
    I am also in the Dallas area and my car is out in the sun all day. While it is very hot in the car (Harbor grey paint), the a/c starts blowing cool air within about 45 seconds. It takes several minutes to rid the car of the hot air, but the a/c seems to work very well.
  • gmtigerusagmtigerusa Member Posts: 1
    Go test drive a 2011 Buick Regal, and your dilemma will be solved!
  • johnwhojohnwho Member Posts: 19
    No, ral2167, it does not.

There are two separate dials with 65, 75, and 85 degrees shown on them.

Works OK, though, as far as I can tell - one side will blow out colder air than the other according to the settings (when on AC, obviously).
    I have a GLS with the optional 17 tire & wheel package. I can tell you that the ride can be a bit loud, and somewhat jarring on rough roads. It is also very quiet on smooth roads. The low rolling resistance tires seem to be the cause. I like the look and are willing to live with them. I will replace them with "Michelin Harmony" when these wear out. The 18's should handle better, and ride a little worse, also wear out a little faster. I was just at my local dealership today; no Sonatas on the lot. They have been sold out for a week. I wish you good luck finding the car you have your heart set on.
    Thanks for the idea. I had the car at the dealership today for it's 1st check-up. The mechanic did me a favor and looked to see if the harness (wires) existed for the fog lights... no such luck. He was able to provide me with the schematic for the the fog light circuit on the SE model. I just might go with your idea, it's simple and least expensive. FYI: Just the lights and brackets run about $260.
  • travelady605travelady605 Member Posts: 13
    just paid $20 for 5 months basic , then weather/traffic extra $21 for 3 months. I use it so thought it was well worth it.
    I know my buddy is pleased with the install I did on his Mazda. He wanted the fog lights to always be on with the headlights, so that's what I did for him.

By connecting the coil of the added fog lamp relay to the low beam hot wire, I drew very little current from the lighting circuit. Then I wired one side of the relay contact to the battery, and the other side to the fog lamps. That way the fog lamps come on with the low beams, but when you switch to high beams, the fog lamps turn off (as do the low beams). I haven't looked at the Sonata specifically, but if the low beams go off when the high beams go on, it will work the same as it did on the Mazda.

If you decide to do this, be sure to put a fuse in the line from the battery to the relay, about 15A. Would be a good idea to also put a fuse in the line to the relay coil rated for about 20% greater than the nominal coil current drain. That way if the relay shorts out, you don't blow the fuse for the low beams, you blow the fuse to the relay. Same for the 15A in series to the battery. You don't want a direct connection from the battery to the relay input without the fuse. Get a short in one of your fog lamps and you will get a lot of smoke and burned wiring! :surprise:
  • denp3denp3 Member Posts: 99
    As was said, it does not. The settings can be set anywhere between 65 and 75 at 2 degree increments.
    Make that "between 65 and 85 at 2 degree increments", ral2167.

See page 4-91 of the Owner's Manual.
  • denp3denp3 Member Posts: 99
    My error, I was going by memory (which at my age is not always correct)
    Exactly why I consulted the manual, denp3.

Don't know what we'll do when the manual gets old.

:)
  • rexgrexg Member Posts: 27
    Go test drive a 2011 Buick Regal, and your dilemma will be solved!

Indeed I was very keen on the new Buick Regal/Opel Insignia, and I had been reading for months everything I could find on this new GM car. I had pretty much planned to buy one this summer, but then the new Sonata caught my eye. In the final analysis I went with a new Sonata SE. Less weight, more power, better fuel economy outweighed what I perceived to be the advantages of the Regal -- more exclusivity, better ride, better handing and >12 months of production (as the Opel Insignia) completed. And of course the Sonata is $3000.00 cheaper that the base Regal CXL which is reported to be underpowered. Most publications recommend waiting for the Regal Turbo, but it is pretty pricey (30K). I still like the Regal and I wish GM well, but the Sonata just makes more sense to me.
  • schdyschdy Member Posts: 233
    And you got the 10 yr warranty with Hyundai! Good luck with your new car.
  • dash5dash5 Member Posts: 421
    My manager took his wife's white Sonata SE to work today and let me have a look since he knows I'm car shopping and the Sonata is on my short list. Beautiful car inside and out. I was very impressed by it.

Havent driven one yet but I've heard good things about it repeatedly.
  • fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    Well, my car is back to the dealer for the ac. It went out again yesterday. Once I get the case nbr I am going to call Hyundai Corp. Thus is geating out of hand. Never will I buy another Hyundai.
    Smart man-- stick with camry/accord-- heck even a malibu which is much quieter.
    Would never buy a camry. Accord maybe. If they can't fix the ac issue after this attempt I will seek to get out of the car the problem is the dealer has no clue as to what's wrong with the car. They are just checking connections etc per hyundais request. They say it's such a new model that they don't know what's wrong and don't have any tsb's out.
  • keyman2keyman2 Member Posts: 78
    This is for Hyundai so get off the forum,I don't want to read negative BS.everycar has problems USA,AND INTERNATIONAL---GET REAL
  • clasiccarguyclasiccarguy Member Posts: 24
    This is for Hyundai so get off the forum,I don't want to read negative BS.everycar has problems

If you have a problem with your Hyundai DON'T post it on this forum.

Remember All cars have problems.. :P

Perhaps the people on the Honda or Toyota forums would care to hear about it.... ;)

That is not only funny but also sad to be so insecure about your vehicle... :sick:
    edited July 2010
    When ever I hear a dealer make a comment like "it's a new model, and we haven't seen this before" with regard to air conditioning, I just shake my head. I don't care what brand it is, there hasn't been a major change in A/C since the early '90's, and that was just the conversion to R134A. All systems work the same way, use the same components (in design, not manufacture). So when a techie comes up with that line, my first thought is that you are dealing with a parts-swapper, not a true A/C guy.

If the system isn't cooling, you either have the wrong amount of refrigerant, or you are not moving it, either of which can be confirmed quickly by a competent A/C tech. Once you determine that, it is just a matter of adjusting levels or determining what is keeping the compressor from running the freon through the pipes. Beyond that it is just moving baffles and blowing air.

Now, if we were talking a brand new design of an 8spd auto, I could understand the comment. But to make such a statement on an A/C system is a weak argument at best. Even if the vehicle (again, any make) has some bizarre electronic control interface, the clutch circuit can always be checked to see if that control system is even telling it to run, thus breaking it down to plumbing verses electronics. If it is all new electronics, then here again, there may be justification for the comment. Still doesn't explain why they cannot track it down, though.
    Not sure what the problem is with my ac, but just received a call from the dealer and the ac is working and they are trying to wait for t to fail again so they can troubleshoot further. So it's just a waiting came at this point. I did get a case opened up with Hyundai consumer assistance.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    I have some good news and some bad news:
    Good news first - you are correct, this is the Hyundai Sonata forum. Members posting in this forum have been pretty darn good about staying on topic, and the conversation here is active, interesting, and informative.

Bad news - this is not Survivor. Members don't get to vote other members out of the discussion. This isn't a forum reserved for happy members only, nor is it reserved exclusively for the praise of the Sonata. Skipping posts that upset you is the best practice. We don't obligate you to read them.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• nj2pa2ncnj2pa2nc Member Posts: 811
    While having our 05 Hyundai Elantra GT with 100K+miles serviced at the dealer we decided to look over the new cars. We spotted a 2011 Venetian Red 6MT sonata. Long story-short-we traded in the elantra for the sonata. Drove the car from the dealer in Pa back to NJ (125 miles) very well built car-no rattles, quiet and the bluetooth works excellent. My husband is now driving the car from NJ back home to NC. :D
  • 2011limited2011limited Member Posts: 30
    'Smart man-- stick with camry/accord-- heck even a malibu which is much quieter'.....

Why pay More for Less?

Plus, I paid a lot for my driveway, and I do not want some butt ugly Camry or Accord ruining its look.

Another HUGE recall for Toyota Sedans today, and I could write a book about Honda and their ongoing transmission problems... note please: A 5/FIVE Speed transmission.

And the 'quiet' comment... The tests I have read show Sonata Decibel Levels as ~ good or better than its peers
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Let's end this line of conversation now - this IS the Sonata discussion, not the "my car can beat up your car" discussion, nor "battle of the recalls." There's already a good comparisons discussion called Midsize Sedans, and you're more than welcome to compare in there.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

I thought the Toyota recall would interest everyone on this Forum because it is related to a power steering problem one of the hot topics on this Forum. My post was not intended to create a my car vs your car battle. Even you said all posts are important to this forum not just Sonata posts. Which is it?
    Well, no way will I try and debug a car not in front of me, but based on the info as presented, I would lean heavily toward an electronics issue. If the A/C cools well when it is working, and then intermittently quits, and comes back, I can understand why Hyundai is saying check and recheck connections. Electronics themselves can be intermittent, but if I had to hazard a guess, I would look for a contact not fully seated in a connector, or a cracked solder joint/circuit board. The contact is just a hunt it down sort of thing, the solder joint/circuit board can be a nightmare.

I had a GM product that at 1000 miles threw a TPS failure code and went into limp mode. Let the car sit a bit, and it started up and ran. Took it to dealer, TPS changed out, a month later, did it again. Odds of two bad TPS are really small. Tech started checking, and sure enough, one of the contacts in a connector to the TPS wasn't fully seated in the connector. Snapped it all the way in, and never had the problem again.

Please keep us updated on this. I am sorry you are having the issue, but the geek in me is dying to know what they find! :shades:
  • bamacarbamacar Member Posts: 749
    She said all posts regarding the Sonata are useful - both positive and negative. Off topic Toyota posts are not important to the topic of this forum.
    I don't own a Hyundai yet,I've been in and out of a nursing home for my girlfrind who is very sick,and it stopped me from buying a Sonata at this time.I'm on the forums to learn and talk about the Hyundai Sontata 's not about other cars that I'm not interested in after researching other cars.So maybe this is a misunderstood post but if not and you want to be sarcastic that's your hangup.I happen to love the Sonata test drove it but can't buy one yet.I do like the Honda Accord Coupe but Sonata blows me away with looks.I'm not insecure about any vehicle.
    Didn't mean to vote other members out of the discussion!!!it was just the way I read the post and your right about other cars,but some times people get carried away with there posts. I guess it makes it more interesting so I'm sorry
  • LASHAWNLASHAWN Member Posts: 303
    He could also have a bad hvac control module. We get a few GM products that do the exact same thing his Sonata is doing and we found that it was the hvac control module causing the problem. This is of course an electrical unit and if it intermittently working could very well cause even the best a/c tech to scratch his head.
    edited July 2010
    She said all posts regarding the Sonata are useful - both positive and negative. Off topic Toyota posts are not important to the topic of this forum.

If they are related to a reported Sonata problem, I don't consider them off topic! Sorry but I'm interested in any topic that could arise as a problem on my Sonata.

Let me quote one of your earlier messages before you consider my comment as being not related to Sonata.
    I had seen where you asked if a Yaris could get 55 mpg after lhanson had said there was a 5 mpg ...

Sounds like you were talking about a Toyota here.

And finaly I think our Host is capable of commenting to me. She doesn't need your help.
  • bamacarbamacar Member Posts: 749
    edited July 2010
    Let me quote one of your earlier messages before you consider my comment as being not related to Sonata.
    I had seen where you asked if a Yaris could get 55 mpg after lhanson had said there was a 5 mpg ...

Sounds like you were talking about a Toyota here.

Sometimes certain people have to have a lesson dropped on their head to come to some understanding. That quote came from the Toyota Yaris forum.

So thanks to the example of my posting that you provided, you made my point for me:

Toyota messages go in Toyota topics and Sonata messages go in Sonata groups.

Hard to believe that some of us who read and post about the Sonata also post in many different brand and model forums.

Now back to the Sonata.
    Thanks for the insight. I will let everyone know what they find or don't find. Was supposed to get a call from Hyundai consumer assistance line today didn't hear from anyone. Playing the waiting game.
  • mits_donmits_don Member Posts: 3
    edited July 2010
    On another note. I just visited the Hyundai Plant yesterday and really found it amazing how they make these cars out of metal thinner than a dime. In the 1 1/2 hour time my son and I were there, they made over 200 Sonatas and Santa Fes. 2 Sonatas for every 1 Santa Fe. And if I understood the guy correctly, every new Sonata will now have a better/upgraded horn.

I really hope you heard correctly, my Sonata was built around/after the time of your visit. (I was hoping they would do some upgrades during the plant's summer shutdown; perhaps this was when they did it.) I've been waiting since May 25, the car is in transport and my dealer says I should get it around the 2nd week of August, seems like a long time to travel from Alabama to Ontario, Canada.