Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Hyundai Sonata

Comments

• backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    There may be a "Sonata shortage", but there isn't a "mid-sized sedan" shortage. I don't think Hyundai will find 18,000 people each month in the USA who will buy a Sonata at sticker, given there are several good, lower-priced alternatives. Hyundai doesn't just want people to buy a car--they want to capture customers. Folks shopping for a Sonata need to let the dealer know the Sonata is just ONE alternative they are considering (this is where that Acting 101 class you had in high school or college will come in handy).
  • nj2pa2ncnj2pa2nc Member Posts: 811
    edited August 2010
    I counted the sonata's the hyundai dealer had on it's lot yesterday (might have another lot somewhere else). here in Toms River, Nj. They had 42- The dealer we bought out sonata from had 14 of which only one was automatic. Lucky for us we bought the MT with a nice discount.
  • sebzx79sebzx79 Member Posts: 53
    You can get a new one for about 24k flat the used one should be less then 23k plus ttl.
    If you want info on the new one send me a pm or email me at srybicki@comcast.net. I just got my father in law a new limited no nav in red for 24k flat.
  • rdodd87rdodd87 Member Posts: 1
    I know that is way too high! When I bought my new sonata in April, I went with the Limited because I liked the extra features, but I remember the dealership offering the exact kind of car you want for $23,750 and that is brand new, not a demo model. I wouldn't buy for more than $22,750
  • keyman2keyman2 Member Posts: 78
    Hi
    I'm buying a SE with Nav/Sunroof for $23,750 sometim in aug-Sept
  • Early buyers may have actually gotten better deals than later ones. The car has gotten so much good press. Plus, given the equipment you can get on it, it is about the best mid-size deal out there. So its value with buyers is building. Toyota, until the unintended acceleration brouhaha, was able to get transactions closer to list price than most of its competition. That is what Hyundai is working toward, and they seem to be doing a good job. Prices will rise if sales keep rising. And you can't even look for left-overs this fall, because they are all 2011 models. Do an internet search, and bargain hard, but don't expect it to be easy, given the way Hyundai sales overall have been rising.
  • brian1brian1 Member Posts: 29
    What are the chances that the 2011 is named Motor Trend Car of th Year? What does the competiton look like right now? I would think if this happens than it will even be that much harder to bargain. Thoughts?
    I think it's a pretty good bet, especially with the turbo and hybrid models coming by the end of the year. If the Camry and a refreshed Fusion can win it, why not the Sonata? The Genesis was runner-up to the GT-R 2 years ago, so the editors don't have a problem giving high marks to a Hyundai.
  • ewg54ewg54 Member Posts: 25
    edited August 2010
    I think this statement is very true, when I bought my 2011 in March I was somewhat surprised of the deep discounts, but I mentioned to my wife that the discounts will be less after summer. And it all comes down to its being a hot selling car, and with the Turbo it is only going to get more popular.
    Glad I got mine early :) I would toot my horn, but you can't hear it anyway. :D
  • rexgrexg Member Posts: 27
    edited August 2010
    Earlier this year I had been interested in buying a sports sedan, most likely a Buick Regal (which is a thinly disguised Opel Insignia, named the European Car of the Year last year). But the new Sonata captured my interest and I ended up buying a silver SE. Recently I read with great interest Car and Driver's road test of the new Regal in its September issue. What caught my eye was Hyundai Sonata's specific mention in this article numerous times. And most often in these references, the Regal came up short in comparison to the Sonata. CD road tests also include a small inset on competitors of the car being tested. It was cool to see the Sonata SE listed as one of the Regal's competitors along with the Acura TSX and the Audi A4 2.0T Quattro. Pretty good company for a family car that is supposed to compete with the Accord and Camry.
  • rysterryster Member Posts: 571
    My GLS has the exact same creaking from the dash area as yours. Started around the same mileage as well. It is very annoying, and very disappointing,
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Member Posts: 2,242
    Hyundai issued a TSB on this complaint, TSB 10-BD-005. In part, here is the description:

DESCRIPTION:
    CONDITION
    If a (YF) Sonata vehicle exhibits a rattle/creak type noise from the right front passenger
    area when the vehicle is driven on uneven or rough roads, and the rattle/creak noise is
    eliminated when the glove box lid is unlatched, proceed with this bulletin.
    CAUSE
    Rubbing between lid latch tabs and the retaining ports on the glove box housing.
    REPAIR
    Apply felt cloth tape to both left and right retaining ports on the glove box housing.
  • sonatascottsonatascott Member Posts: 16
    I posted TSB info on this problem a while back. See post #4059. It appears to be a quick and easy fix. They even developed a kit for it. It looks kind-of like two bandaids.
  • rysterryster Member Posts: 571
    I have already had the glove box noise resolved. My issue is just like others have posted here. The dash and center console creaks loudly with a change in momentum (coming to a stop or accelerating.) If I press down firmly inside the cup holder while stopping or starting, the noise stops. The plastic around the USB/power ports, the shifter, the lower crash pads on either side of the lower dash, and the plastic trim around the hvac and radio are all very creaky. In my car, just barely touching them sets off loud creaking noises.
    It wouldn't surprise me if the same fix from the glove box is applied to the other contact points.

I was surprised when I opened up the console pieces of an Elantra years ago to find that all contact points had felt pads, and the harnesses themselves were wrapped in a felt material to eliminate sqeaking.
  • fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    edited August 2010
    Still don't have my car back. Was advised by Hyundai Consumer Affairs that they are sending my case to the Regional offices and I should know within 4 business days what they will do for me.

The dealer called me today and said they still don't know where the creaking is coming from and in the midst of trying to find the creak they cracked my windshield. I really hope they buy this car back from me. Fingers crossed!
  • clasiccarguyclasiccarguy Member Posts: 24
    I should know within 4 business days what they will do for me.

I can;t believe the lemon law applies to creaks and rattles. If your current Dealer can't or wont fix it take it to another Dealer.

I think Hyundai is trying to make a decent vehicle but it's impossible to have a first class vehicle with a second class service department.

The biggest single complaint from everybody I know who had a Hyundai or KIA product was the lack of trained technicians they have to service there vehicles. This was also the main reason for not purchasing another one.
    Which is why I have purchased four different Hyundai vehicles, the service department is staffed with very well trained and experienced techs who have been at the dealership since before it picked up the Hyundai franchise over ten years ago.

Your statement is very true; no matter the brand or price of the car, a bad service department can destroy confidence in the product.
  • greatlakesjrgreatlakesjr Member Posts: 109
    A little late to this thread and I have the 2010 Sonata (purchased in April). My XM three-month trial expired three weeks ago but is still active on my car. Anyone else have this experience? All I've gotten was two letters before the expiration to renew it at regular price. Did someone forget to press the "delete" button to my account?
    Just wait, they will lower the price down to around $5 a month for six months. :)
  • rexgrexg Member Posts: 27
    My trial period ends today so I called them 2 days ago. I told them that I wasn't interested in paying the price that they quoted in their mailings, and that I wanted the $4.99/month rate for 6 months that had been reported here in this discussion group. They readily agreed and so I extended my subscription for 6 months at $4.99/month. They only slight drawback is that they required me to select a rollover package to take effect when my 6 month renewal ends. So if I take no action in 6 months, I will automatically rollover into a quarterly package that charges the regular $12/month price. (Other rollover packages are available.) However I do have the option to cancel my subscription before the rollover kicks in. So I figure that 6 months from now I will threaten to cancel and find out what they are prepared to do to keep my business. Actually I am a little underwhelmed with XM radio, so if I have to cancel, it won't be a big deal for me.
    What surprises me is how several of the channels have as many or even more commercials than conventional FM stations. I was driving along the other day and realized the news channel I had been listening to was still in commercials after a good 3-4 minutes. And I am paying for this???
  • There are commercials on XM?? I am so naive.
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    I thought that was one of the big reasons to buy XM was for lack of commercials. Kind of like premium channels on tv. Guess that's not one of the reasons.
  • mikemartinmikemartin Member Posts: 205
    Early buyers may have actually gotten better deals than later ones. The car has gotten so much good press. Plus, given the equipment you can get on it, it is about the best mid-size deal out there. So its value with buyers is building. Toyota, until the unintended acceleration brouhaha, was able to get transactions closer to list price than most of its competition. That is what Hyundai is working toward, and they seem to be doing a good job. Prices will rise if sales keep rising. And you can't even look for left-overs this fall, because they are all 2011 models.

Really?

I see just the opposite.

Manual Sonata GLSs can be had for just about 19k, and auto GLSs can be had for just about 20k in my neck of the woods, all day long.

I also notice there are no shortage of Sonatas on dealer lots, even though various salesmen have told me "they sell fast."

You can only believe what you can verify, and that does not include statements from car salespersons.

Yes, the 2011 is selling better than last years model did, and yes dealers are keeping it more conservative on how many cars they order, but that plant down in Alabama is plenty big and can churn many Sonatas out.

I honestly believe and have personal experience that prices on the 2011 Sonata are lower for good negotiators now than they were at any time since its release.

I like the Sonata, but I think we're going to buy a two or three year old Toyota Avalon or maybe a new Outback, because the roads are terrible where we are, and we need a smoother riding car with a large backseat.

Our biggest hangup is whether to buy new or used - you still get murdered on depreciation buying any car new, especially over the first two years, no matter what anyone tells me.
    ...but that plant down in Alabama is plenty big and can churn many Sonatas out.

The Alabama plant is already on overtime and at or near capacity. Keep in mind it doesn't just make Sonatas, and Santa Fes are selling pretty well now also.

I don't know Hyundai's capability to ship US-spec Sonatas from the ROK, as they did in the early days of the Gen 4 Sonata before the US plant was able to produce the I4 engine.
  • jsmith29jsmith29 Member Posts: 2
    so, we probably not going to see any rebate soon?
  • jsmith29jsmith29 Member Posts: 2
    Hyundai may announce US capacity increase in weeks
    http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSN0425928320100804
  • greatlakesjrgreatlakesjr Member Posts: 109
    Got the letter last night: 12 months of XM for $77, basically half-price. I don't believe that would include the $1.98/month royalty charge though so add another $24 + taxes and that's just too far out of my range. I like XM but don't LOVE it.
    By golly, you have stated the biggest problem that so many have these days in their spending habits: You don't NEED XM, but for the right price, you would CHOOSE XM.

Lot of consumers out there in debt trouble because they couldn't tell the difference between NEED and WANT.
  • marvin6marvin6 Member Posts: 72
    By golly, you have stated the biggest problem that so many have these days in their spending habits: You don't NEED XM, but for the right price, you would CHOOSE XM.
    Lot of consumers out there in debt trouble because they couldn't tell the difference between NEED and WANT.

AMEN!!! You got that so right! I grew up poor but with a lot of help, a lot of good choices, some hard work and God's blessings I became financially blessed. I live well below my means. I always have. I was shopping for a midsized car and waited for the sonata to come out. I didn't like it so I took a step up and bought a new toyota venza. I also bought my son a new car for graduation from college. Cash deals - needed transportation - although could have gotten away with far less the money was insignificant to me. I was never contacted by XM so I contacted them. It is now $500 for lifetime plus royalties bringing the total to about $590. That dollar amount is insignificant to me, but it's the principle. Although I WANT to listen to the radio I DO NOT need to pay for it - and certainly not that amount of money - from a company that was already on the brink of bankrupcy and may not be around too long. Distinguishing wants and needs makes it much easier to live off yesterday's monies than tomorrow's.
  • arto7arto7 Member Posts: 8
    Stop! You are making me question my decision to go with the sunroof and nav package on the SE!
    I picked up my car for the 3rd time on Tues and by this evening the creaking is back. It was quiet for almost 2 full days, but it came back fast and loud. I am at my wits end and really not sure how to proceed. I left a VM for the service Manager this evening and hope to talk to him about this tomorrow. Also should be hearing from Hyundai Regional office within the next couple of days. I really need to get myself out of this saga once and for all. :lemon:
    It was quiet for almost 2 full days, but it came back fast and loud.

Did you try another Dealer for service?

Does anybody else hear these creaking sounds besides you or is just you dislike the vehicle and want to get rid of it?.. :confuse:
  • ral2167ral2167 Member Posts: 791
    post a movie like mommyt! seeing (or hearing in this case) is believing.
    Remember we live in glass houses. Do you have cable or Sat TV? You can watch HD TV for free over the air....just not as many channels. Do you really need all those extra channels....no but the selection is very nice. When cable first came out you used to hear people saying all the time that they didn't think it was right to pay for something that is free. Kind of like the XM of today.

That dollar amount is insignificant to me, but it's the principle.

What principle is that??
    Nope, no cable or sat, either.

My kids think they are deprived. :P
    edited August 2010
    Yes, the dealer is able to "duplicate" the problem. Do you really think Hyundai would send it to the Regional office if they couldn't actually hear it???

As far as going to another dealer: Hyundai corp advised me NOT to go to another dealer since they have been working on my car and know the history.

Not sure why you guys are so skeptical. :confuse: Do you think there is no way this can happen to a Sonata? I realize its only a creaking sound, but with less than 2K miles on the car it shouldn't have nor should I need to deal with this.
    Sorry to hear of your problems. We are extremely pleased with our 2011 sonata. We bought the basic 6MT model on 7/27. It now has almost 3,000 miles-no rattles what-so-ever (knock on wood).
  • newhartfordnewhartford Member Posts: 49
    Makes you wonder if the creaks and rattles are a design issue or an assembly issue. My 7 year old Elantra is still tight as a drum (made is Korea) - no rattle creaks etc. I'm hoping Hyundai quality isn't slipping when it is made in America. I'm contemplating buying a Sonata next year but this is giving me pause.
  • johnwhojohnwho Member Posts: 19
    Hyundai has sold around 100k 2011 Sonatas based on what I've read.

It is not surprising that some may have a problem, just as it would not be surprising for some other make/model automobile to have a problem including much more expensive vehicles.

Sorry you are having to deal with it, fish8. However, you are in the middle of diagnosis and hopefully the resolution of the issue.

What I am finding most interesting is what Hyundai will ultimately do regarding this.
  • marnick2011marnick2011 Member Posts: 6
    I certainly cannot blame you for being extremely frustated, This can "sour" a buyer's experience, and I am sure Hyundai is just as anxious as you are to get the problem resolved. I had two Sonatas previous to our 2011 Sonata Limited. We had no previous warranty issues with our other Sonatas, but had to have the turn signal replaced in one of the mirrors in our new one because it was fogging up. I immediately worried about the wisdom of the purchase LOL until it was fixed. All is fine now and we are enjoying the most beautiful Sonata we have owned. The frustration and second-guessing quickly fades once everything is OK.
    I sometimes think as fit and finish improves (as has been the case with Hyundai over the past 15 yrs), and tolerances decrease there is more chance that even a 1/64 of an inch difference in plastic parts or a little burr can cause rubbing of parts and in turn creaking . I can also imagine it would be difficult to detect and may involve trial and error before it is fixed. Good luck, and try not to let this experience
    keep you from ultimately enjoying your new car.
    edited August 2010
    we previously owned a 03 Sonata bought new. While driving the car, the transmission locked up in 2nd (automatic). We slowly drove it to the dealer. It had less than 100 miles. They replaced some sensors. It worked but it did again (5 times total). I must say the dealer was excellent. After contacting acura corporate (the dealer told us to) the transmission was replaced. It had about 4,000 miles. A few months later we traded it in on a 05 elantra GT. We then traded that (had almost 100K miles) for the 2011 sonata. Yes we probably could have gone thru the lemon law but decided not to.
    Not sure why you guys are so skeptical. Do you think there is no way this can happen to a Sonata?

Sure it can happen to any vehicle. What I am skeptical about is there are only so many things you can tighten, lubricate, insulate or spray on a vehicle to get rid of squeaks and rattles. It seems like your Dealer had your car for quite a long time on more than one occasion, and still can't fix it. You even claim he cracked your windshield. Doesn't sound like a place I would take my car to.

I live in the North East part of the country where we have harsh winters, and years ago when they made cars out of metal we use to undercoat the cars with a tar and rubber substance. They would spray the wheel wells and the under carriage. It not only protected it from the salt but also deadened the road noise. They don't do this any more because they make the panels out of plastic and rubber instead of metal..

Not sure where you live but perhaps some kind of undercoating would solve your problem.
    Thanks everyone for your feedback and input.

My car has been in the shop for this issue alone 10 days and including my ac issues almost out 16 days.

Honestly I think the sonata is a good car. I just happen to get a bad one. I could sit back and just live with the noise, but I am not sure that is the proper thing to do. I really think the dealer has no idea what is wrong. For that matter, Hyundai is probably stumped as well. Hope to hear from Hyundai today on what the next steps are.
  • poodog13poodog13 Member Posts: 320

Well aren't you judgemental! Sure, there are lots of consumers out there who need to keep their spending habits in alignment with their income. There are also lots who have worked both smart and hard to get ahead in this world, and have now have the fruits of their labor in the form of discretionary income.
    Have u ever looked underneath the sonata? The entire underbody has a greasy oily compound sprayed. I noticed the gas tank and other surrounding parts were covered in the think oily compound. It's very difficult to get it off your hands. If that is for road noise purposes it's not helping my specific issue.
    I've read that undercoating(used to called Ziebarting) of modern cars can actually work against you. Drain holes can be plugged up and actually cause internal rusting of parts that aren't easily seen but can cause major headaches down the road. Most experts seem to recommend not doing this.
    Have u ever looked underneath the sonata?

No I haven't. I test drove the SE and Limited but never looked underneath them.

You could ask your dealer if this normal but my guess is he wouldn't have a clue.
    I've read that undercoating (used to called Ziebarting) of modern cars can actually work against you.

Really. I never heard that before. I never heard the term ziebarting before either.

I have heard of Ziebart which is a franchise that specializes in undercoating, window tinting and Rhino truck bed liners. There is a Ziebart franchise not far from my house that has been there for years and seems to be doing ok