Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2011 Hyundai Sonata

Comments

• Options
    jlflemmonsjlflemmons Member Posts: 2,242
    Judgemental? Maybe. Opinionated? Absolutely! :shades:
  • Options
    ethandouethandou Member Posts: 15
    I'm screwed up. My sonata stalled again at the traffic light. I thought the problem might have gone after the dealer found nothing and just reprogrammed the computer. Sorry, no camcorder at the scene. I was tired of adjusting the angle from time to time and it's too hot to leave the camcorder inside the car.

I called the roadside assistance and had my car towed to the dealer. Fortunately, two police officers helped me out of the embarrassing situation. Unfortunately, the towing truck driver started the car when unloading it. Hope still some information or codes left.

I'll call Hyundai to reopen my case. This is really frustrating.
  • Options
    fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    It does not sound like you're screwed up, sounds like your car is. Sorry for the problems your having.

How many miles on you car?

I just contacted a Leon Law Attorney and hope to hea back from Hyundai Corp ealry next week.
  • Options
    m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    Yeah, I think, in the midwest anyway, the term ziebarting came about because of the all the Ziebart strores and the advertising. I think one of their commercials used to have jingle something like "better get your car ziebarted". Grew up with that so most people just referred to it as "ziebarting".

There stil around in the midwest too but there are just fewer of them of as cars have become so rust resistant and soundproofing from manufacturers has gotten better.

Yes, I've read auto expert columns in newspapers and such many times say it could do more harm than good to have your car undercoated if done improperly and the fact that it really is just not needed anymore. The manufacturers do a pretty good job of doing their own undercoating.

I think Ziebart has probably morphed into doing more rhino liners and stuff like that as their undercoating business dropped.
  • Options
    sonatascottsonatascott Member Posts: 16
    I know this is an old thread, but to keep it updated is a good thing. Last night I called 1-800-XM Radio and asked why "some people have been offered $77. for one year, and I had been offered $164.24 a year in the mailing they sent me". The guy asked me for my radio ID, verified who I was, and promptly offered me the same $77. deal. It came to $88.78 with the royalty fee. The only hitch was the auto renewal at the then-current price for XM Everything. He made it clear that I was free to call before the auto renewal occurs and cancel it. This of course would be the opportunity to re-negotiate a good deal. The guy was in Utah, very pleasant, and spoke my language. All in all a good experience. Lastly, none of the music stations I listen to have commercials. Perhaps some of the non music stations have them?
  • Options
    I only put about 3000 miles on my car since mid-March purchase.

Besides this problem, I'm confused about the operation of auto-transmission. When the car is slowing down, it shifts too early to smaller gear and causes brake or "hesitation" feeling, which is not good. I don't know if it is normal because I only felt such thing on a rental Jetta and never for my previous car and some other cars I rented.
  • Options
    recentgrad08recentgrad08 Member Posts: 2
    i've had the same problem about 4 times since purchasing my car last april. any insight into what causes this and whether it can be fixed?
  • Options
    I thought I was alone with bad luck. So far they can't find what's wrong. I hate such random issue.
  • Options
    bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    My '05 downshifts also--like mimicking and manual shift. That's not a problem, it's a good thing.

I also get a braking feel when in cruise control going down a fairly steep incline. I think the injectors restrict the gasoline flow. Again, it's a good thing. Prior cars could pick up speed 5, 10, 15 MPH, which is not good when there's any traffic or to avoid speeding tickets.
  • Options
    bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    edited August 2010
    Ziebart & Rusty Jones were both aftermarket "rust proofing" companies. The manufacurers were already undercoating all their cars. Ziebart & Rusty Jones drilled into panels to spray gunk to supposedly stop rust for 5 years.

It was a scam according to a body & fender guy I knew. He said 1) the drilling allowed moisture in to areas where it wouldn't other wise get and 2) their warranty said they would either repair any rust OR refund what you paid them for the product at their option.

Nice deal (for them): "Pay me $500 and I'll rust proof your car for 5 years. If your car does rust, I'll either fix it or give you your money back. And if it doesn't rust I'll just say thanks a lot sucker for your $500."
  • Options
    carspgcarspg Member Posts: 5
    The dealer told me to bring it back for 1st service at 3 months or 3000 miles. The manual says 6 months if not driving in severe conditions.

What are others doing for the 1st service?

I'm got other issues (rattling & creaking) that I want to bring to their attention as well but can wait till the 1st service.
  • Options
    denp3denp3 Member Posts: 99
    I brought mine in at 1000 miles per the dealer recommendation.
    They offer a free oil change and like to make sure there are no leaks.
  • Options
    sonatascottsonatascott Member Posts: 16
    edited August 2010
    My dealer offered a free "check up". The salesman set it up when I signed the papers. It happened at about 2500 miles, and uncovered no issues. They did not offer a free oil change. I'm at 5500+ miles now and the only problem I've had was the auto dimming mirror that didn't always dim when it should. They replaced it with no fuss at all. To date I've balanced and rotated the tires, changed to a K&N air filter, and just did my first oil change today with Mobil 1 and a K&N oil filter. On my next fill-up I'm adding Slick 50 fuel system cleaner. I will most likely add a K&N air intake when it is released. (no I don't own stock in the company, I just like their products.)
    Don't hesitate to document those bothersome issues you wrote of. There is a pre-service form you can download from your account at myhyundai.com. It makes describing problems a bit easier.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    During my last dealer visit they addressed a rattle on the right side of my dash. This morning I noticed a new rattle on the drivers side. So frustrating.......
  • Options
    rysterryster Member Posts: 571
    Based on Hyundai's definition of "normal" use, I am not certain anyone could consider the use of the car normal. I had my first oil change done for free by the dealer at 3,000 miles and plan to just follow the 3,750 mile "severe" interval.
  • Options
    rysterryster Member Posts: 571
    I'm right there with you and feel your frustration. I can't wait until the temps get down in the 30's this Winter...if I have rattles when it is 80+ out, they will really come out in freezing temps :cry:

I no longer fully enjoy my '11 Sonata because of all of the noises and have actually contemplated just trading the car already.
  • Options
    sales_101sales_101 Member Posts: 3
    You mentioned Slick 50? I just had my second service and the dealer added fuel injected cleaner as part of the service.

Better check with dealer using after market cleaners while in warranty may cause issues on warranty claims down the road.

I have a limited and ZERO issues or Rattles. Came from long line of Hondas. Very pleased with the purchase.

Maybe when they see the build is for Canada they tighten the bolts a little more. Since we pay more they take extra care?

Great Car for the Money!
  • Options
    Honestly, I am getting tired of complaining but it's getting old driving a brand new car and having to deal with a loud creaking noise when I turn or accelerate from a stop. I am also getting tired of having to wait on Hyundai to contact me about what will be done to fix the issue or resolve it.

I
  • Options
    mwhitworthmwhitworth Member Posts: 14
    The bad thing with most cars now is that about everything inside is cheap plastic. My car has a long piece of plastic along front dashboard where the defroster vents is and makes alot of noise going over bumps or if i push on it. I took it off and put some adhesive where it snaps into place and that help with all the squeaking sounds.
    Anyhow, since you know where the creaking is coming from and can duplicate the problem either show the dealer again. They can probably put some rubber pads in place to help quiet the noise. Or you could probably just pop out the panel "carefully" and fix yourself!
  • Options
    kenymkenym Member Posts: 405
    I am getting tired of complaining but it's getting old driving a brand new car and having to deal with a loud creaking noise when I turn or accelerate from a stop

Either you are obsessed with Creaks and rattles and no matter what Hyundai tries to do to eliminate them it just wont be enough. Or more likely you feel you made a mistake and really want out of this vehicle period.

I would really like to know what you drove before you purchased the "11" Sonata?
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    07 VW passat

Also to add, all issues I have brought to the dealers attention have been duplicated and agreed that they are valid. So, to your assuming, I don't want out of this car because j made a mistake I want out because the product has inferior quality and issues a brand new car shouldnt.
  • Options
    rexgrexg Member Posts: 27
    Either you are obsessed with Creaks and rattles and no matter what Hyundai tries to do to eliminate them it just wont be enough. Or more likely you feel you made a mistake and really want out of this vehicle period.

As one who is experiencing the same creaks as fish8 and one or two other posters, I must say that I don't consider fish8 to be obsessed over this issue or to have ulterior motives. As much as new cars cost these days, it is incredibly aggravating to have to put up with noises like these. I am glad that fish8 is aggressively pursuing these problems with Hyundai. It can only help in getting these issues resolved in future production and in existing cars that have the same problem. In my case, the creaking problem is getting worse. I first noticed it with changes in momentum as reported earlier by others and myself. Now I notice it with temperature changes; for example, when I run the AC after the car has been sitting in the hot sun. I can be completely stopped at a red light and these sounds of creaking plastic issue from the dash, I guess due to temperature changes. Overall I am still satisfied with my new SE, but no longer am I thrilled with it. Due to an accident this Spring that totaled one of our Hondas, I violated one of my cardinal rules of waiting for at least one year before buying a new design. I am starting to think that I am paying the price for buying early. BTW, I have noticed that relatively few posters have complained about these creaking noises in the dash (even with the glove box TSB applied). My car was built on 29 March. I would be curious to know when other cars with this problem were built.
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    I have to say that I'd be pretty teed off if a brand new car, for which I paid a lot of money, was having noise issues. It'd be different if no one else noticed them, or if service personnel say they can't hear it, but it doesn't sound like that's what's happening. They know it's there, but just can't figure out how to stop it.

That being the case, it really is NOT enough for Hyundai to "try" to fix it. If they try 5 times and still don't fix it, guess what? There's another try in their future if I'm their customer.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    edited August 2010
    After emailing John krafcik directly I did get a call from the regional service and parts manager and I have an appointment on sept 9th with him and a Hyundai engineer for them to look at my car and find a possible fix. He stated he wanted me to enjoy my car again and if they cannot fix it they will replace it. Though he stated that they are able to fix 99% of the cars they look at.

Not sure if the email I sent mr Krafcik helped but I was surprised to get a personal response from him apologizing for my problems and he would look into my issues and get them fixed asap. Less than 3 hrs later I received a call from Hyundai Corp.

Bottom line is I just want my car fixed. Period or give me a new one. I know acme of you won't believe me about the email to John Krafcik, but I have no reason to lie.
  • Options
    I can be completely stopped at a red light and these sounds of creaking plastic issue from the dash, I guess I guess due to temperature changes.

I have owned and driven cars for over fifty years ( almost sixty ). Everything from early mussel cars to family sedans most every brand. I lived in the Western and Southern States with the heat and was stationed in Alaska for eighteen months a long time ago with the cold, and I never had a vehicle creak while stopped. What in the world could creak while stopped regardless of the temperature.... :confuse:
  • Options
    Could you please share some information how to get to their regional managers? I just called the customer services and the guy told me to bring the car in every time it stalled again! I'm speechless.

Technically, I don't have video proof. Shall I ask the towing truck driver or the police officer as a witness next time? The shift is at "D" and the engine is not running. This could say something.

Thank you.
  • Options
    I looked in the owners manual and called Hyundai consumer affairs. 800-633-5151. They have been ,for the most part, great to work with. After working with them on my issues they escalated my case to the regional group who actually have the ability to make decisions and find a fix. Good luck!!!
  • Options
    dash5dash5 Member Posts: 421
    That's great news. Hopefully that works out for you, keep us informed of the outcome. Kind of a pain to have to wait til Sept 9th but if it gets resolved that's worth it.
  • Options
    My neighbor invited me to join him for a test dive of the 2011 Sonata Uncensored tour at our IX center. I was very impressed with the Sonata and was seriously considering one until I found this forum.

Between the postings from this forum and the few people I know who owned a Hyundai and said they wouldn't purchase another one I changed my mind and decided to stay with Toyota and Lexus products.
  • Options
    dbatowdbatow Member Posts: 5
    Although that's your decision that's unfortunate.

I had a similar experience with another product. I had decided to switch to Apple from Windows and started browsing through forums on Apple products. Soon I found myself not wanting to buy an Apple laptop because it seemed like so many people were posting about problems. Of course it wasn't the real story as only people with issues were posting on forums. If you keep reading about problems of a product (which can happen on certain product forums in internet), you wouldn't want to buy it. I did eventually switch and couldn't be happier. I think same goes for kenym.

So what Hyundai products did your friends drive that they wouldn't buy another Hyundai again? Excel from 10 years ago by any chance?

If you look at the review/rating by visitors to Edmunds.com, I'd say Sonata 2011 would still be a good choice. Rating of 9.5 after 297 reviews? I don't think I see any sedan with that many positive reviews in the price range.
  • Options
    johnwhojohnwho Member Posts: 19
    Agreed -

I believe over 100,000 2011 Sonatas have been sold so far,

I suspect a lot of us, who haven't had any of the problems that some report, simply do not post.
  • Options
    WARNING: Don't click on the above link. It's spam.
  • Options
    targettuningtargettuning Member Posts: 1,371
    I would have to agree about the premise that mostly those who have problems of any type for any brand vehicle take the time to vent on these forums. I guess one of the reasons is to see if anyone else experienced their particular problem and if so what cured it,or some of these so-called owners AREN'T. or some people just like to complain in public and vow not to buy another Hyundai...Toyota...Honda...Ford etc. I personally wouldn't make a decision to, or not to, buy a car or anything for that matter based on something someone posted anywhere on the internet. For me it is mostly entertainment with a few pearls of real/good information embedded within.
  • Options
    nj2pa2ncnj2pa2nc Member Posts: 811
    We are repeat owners of Hyundai's-Our first was a 88 excel which lasted over 200,000 miles. It was totaled by a red-light runner. We then owned 8 other hyundais. We now have the 2011 6MT sonata-very impressed with it-no rattles what-so-ever. We have owned honda, mazda, mitsubishi, volvo, mercedes, ford, chevy and acura. Still have the acura and mitsubishi. never owned a toyota nor want one,
  • Options
    clasiccarguyclasiccarguy Member Posts: 24
    I suspect a lot of us, who haven't had any of the problems that some report, simply do not post.

You could turn that around and also say there a great number of people out there having problems with there Sonatas who never heard of this thread
  • Options
    schdyschdy Member Posts: 233
    But I'm sure they have heard of this webpage and the ratio of complaints is very small.

http://www.edmunds.com/hyundai/sonata/2011/consumerreview.html
  • Options
    marvin6marvin6 Member Posts: 72
    My neighbor invited me to join him for a test dive of the 2011 Sonata Uncensored tour at our IX center. I was very impressed with the Sonata and was seriously considering one until I found this forum.
    Between the postings from this forum and the few people I know who owned a Hyundai and said they wouldn't purchase another one I changed my mind and decided to stay with Toyota and Lexus products.

You'll find the same thing on any of these forums. All car makes have problems. If you go to any dealership you will notice they have cars in the shop for repair. IF you are going to spend your money on a new vehicle you may want to be careful not to exclude something that could be a wonderful vehicle for you based on something you read.
  • Options
    syitalian25syitalian25 Member Posts: 303
    That is very true. I have 21000 miles already and have no\t experienced any of the rattling or other issues others have talked about. And I got 30 MPG doing 75+ in a car loaded with luggage this weekend - not bad at all!
  • Options
    johnwhojohnwho Member Posts: 19
    And a great number of people out there NOT having problems with their Sonatas who have never heard of this thread.

I'm pointing out, also, that these threads would become extremely booring if every person not experiencing a problem posted "I'm not having that problem" or "Not Me" or "Not with mine", etc. A lot of us, including myself, do not do that most of the time. I have, on another board, responded with "I'm not having that problem" when the OP specifically asked if anyone else is experiencing "this". But, I don't scour the Internet looking for posts on Forums just so I can say "Not me".
  • Options
    arto7arto7 Member Posts: 8
    I have not bought my Sonata yet, however, I agree that forums are generally for complaining and comparing notes. I have not looked at the Lexus forums as that brand was not on my short list of mid-size family sedans, but there is a lot of complaining about Toyota Camrys - not saying that as a challenge - I have a two friends who say they are Toyota men and always buy them. I know they are a good manufacturer. I just look at forums as a piece of the puzzle and an aid to shopping. For example, I have read several people bringing up the height of the passenger seat as a concern on the 2011 Sonata. So I asked my wife and son both to take a turn in the seat during a test drive then asked them what they thought. They liked the car. Then I asked specifically about the height and neither said it was a problem for them. So, I was glad to have read about the concern and was able to factor it into my decision. When the dealer calls and tells me the specific model, color, and options are available on a Sonata they have I will test drive it first and the radio will be off while I listen for any strange rattling noises. If they are there, I will wait for the next one available.
  • Options
    dash5dash5 Member Posts: 421
    I changed my mind and decided to stay with Toyota and Lexus products.

Ha, yeah nobody complains about Toyotas. ;) Internet forums like this are the place people come to vent about problems and/or search for solutions. I wouldnt worry too much about it, but if it does worry you that much, peace of mind is important with such a large purchase and perception can make a big difference. The same minor issue in a Toyota wouldnt upset you as much as if it were in a Hyundai, in your current frame of mind.
  • Options
    jlflemmonsjlflemmons Member Posts: 2,242
    Herein is the great value of a forum such as this. If someone notices a headroom/legroom or some design element that poses a problem, it should be discussed. What may be a non-issue for someone 5'10 185lbs might be a deal breaker for someone 5'5 and 200lbs. Another benefit is where several folks have the same issue, and one dealer fixes the problem, great! Now you have a lead on what to look for.

But one thing that must always be considered is that anytime you mass produce an item with the complexity of a modern automobile, you are going to have issues in some of them. Statistically, it has to happen. Not to minimalize the issues, but trying to shed some logic.
  • Options
    rexgrexg Member Posts: 27
    Another nice benefit of this forum is the potential for bargaining power. I was able to get the 4.99/month rate for XM radio even though I had never been offered that rate. I just told the XM guy that I had seen posts about the 4.99 rate.
  • Options
    The previous Sonata (2006-10 model) was also classified as a full-size car. It may have actually had a squeak more interior space than the current one.

This interior space size classing is all nit-picky...Honda Accords without sunroofs are also classified as full-size. The Lacrosse has more interior space (not counting the trunk/boot) than the Taurus; the Taurus just barely made the full-size class, due to its enormous trunk.

Price class is a more appropriate way to group cars than the actual physical interior volume or exterior length. Lacrosse and Chrysler 300 are about the same size, but the former is "mid-size" and the latter full-size. I suspect almost no one would choose one over the other because the EPA says it is a "bigger" car.
  • Options
    nyg4444nyg4444 Member Posts: 2
    I'm planning on purchasing the Hyundai SE with the navigation included. How much would you pay out the door for this vehicle (including taxes etc.). I have contacted three dealerships thus far and the lowest bid has been $24,686 7% off MSRP (excluding taxes)... Any thoughts??
  • Options
    poodog13poodog13 Member Posts: 320
    Asking for out the door pricing including taxes doesn't make a whole lot of sense when tax rates vary widely by region.
  • Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,328
    IIRC in most states you are charged a tax rate based on where you live not where you buy.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• Options
    Still doesn't make sense to use OTD as nobody knows where he lives or what his tax rate is. Just give the sales price of the car and any doc fee. That combo can be compared easily nationwide.
  • Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,328
    All he has to do is give his location as to the city/county that he is in. Not to difficult.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• Options
    Ok, pick a city and county in a state other than yours and tell me what the tax rate is, dealers fees that are common, title and plate transfer costs for that state etc. I personally have not researched and memorized every city and state's sales tax rate in the country so I wouldn't have any idea what to add to the selling price of the vehicle. You would have to know all of that to reach an out the door price. That's why when you're dealing on a national forum like this an out the door price is stupid. Most dealers in Georgia and Florida will charge up to $599 for the dealer doc fee. California limits it to $75. Illinois limits to about $152. About $500 difference right there. Telling me an out the door price means nothing unless you completely list every line of the deal.