Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2011 Hyundai Sonata

Comments

• Options
    denp3denp3 Member Posts: 99
    edited October 2010
    I had my Limited in for the recall today. I asked about the software update and like everyone says, there is not much info. The service manager said it is an update to the steering module, paperwork said re program MDPS. (Which I found out means Motor Driven Power Steering) The steering seems like it might be a little bit tighter, but not sure. I wish we could find out just what it does.
  • Options
    bucwildbucwild Member Posts: 16
    Has there been a release date announce for the 2.0t? I know pricing is out but when will they hit dealers
  • Options
    atlanticoneatlanticone Member Posts: 19
    Turbo should be in dealers by the last week in October. USA Today had a good article on it today.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/driveon/post/2010/10/hyundai-prices-turb- o-versions-of-hot-sonata-sedan/1
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    I sure don't want to discourage conversation, but we still have a lot of members new to these forums, or new to Sonata shopping, that I would prefer to leave this discussion for ownership comments and answering questions of prospective buyers. atlanticone has been kind enough to start a discussion about the Sonata Turbo Edition pricing, so it'd be fab if folks could discuss the upcoming turbo over there. Thanks!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    ethandouethandou Member Posts: 15
    Excuse me, does anyone know how to send private message to recentgrad08? I'd like someone together to fight with Hyundai.
  • Options
    jlflemmonsjlflemmons Member Posts: 2,242
    My dealer discounts the oil filters when purchased in lots of 10. I know for most folks that makes no sense, but with two Hyundai products using the same filter, and oil changes ever 3 months (lots of miles), it made good sense. I think the regular price is around $6?
  • Options
    avid2000avid2000 Member Posts: 6
    Was able to finally get the car started and drove it to the dealer yesterday morning. When I pulled in and told the service rep about the problem, he immediately said, "I haven't seen this yet, but I've heard about it. We need to replace the brake sensor switch."

Apparently, this issue is a known issue.

FYI ... I haven't tried this, but according to the service tech, holding down the start button for around 30 seconds will eventually start the vehicle. So, if you experience the problem above, there is a way to over-ride the brake sensor.
  • Options
    2011limited2011limited Member Posts: 30
    Ken Thomas

WASHINGTON — The Associated Press Published on Tuesday, Oct. 05, 2010 12:35PM EDT Last updated on Tuesday, Oct. 05, 2010 2:19PM EDT

No more grade inflation for new cars and trucks

The U.S. Transportation Department outlined changes Tuesday to the government's 5-Star Safety Rating System that will make it more difficult for new cars and trucks to earn top scores.

Only two of the first 34 vehicles tested under the new program — the 2011 BMW 5 Series and a version of the 2011 Hyundai Sonata — received the top grade of five stars. The Toyota Camry, the best-selling passenger car in the United States, received three stars.

Ford Mustang at the 1964 World's Fair
    Only a handful of car names become classics

How and why do car makers choose the names they do? It's a cultural minefield - and for every Cobra, there's a Charade

View

The ratings range from one to five stars, with five stars being the highest and one star being the lowest.

The so-called “Stars on Cars” system, which evaluates vehicles on front-end and side-impact crashes and rollovers, was started in 1979 and has helped generate interest in safety equipment such as side-impact air bags and anti-rollover technology. But the program is being revamped for the 2011 model year because so many vehicles were receiving top marks under the old system, making it difficult to distinguish the best performers.

Typically, more than 90 per cent of the vehicles tested under the old system earned four or five stars. In 1979, less than 30 per cent received four or five stars.

“More stars equal safer cars,” said Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood. “Through new tests, better crash data and higher standards, we are making the safety ratings tougher and more meaningful for consumers.”

LaHood said the new rating system will encourage auto makers to install crash avoidance technologies and will help car shoppers “navigate a crowded marketplace with trustworthy and objective safety analysis.”

The new system adds an overall score, uses different sized test dummies and takes into account crash-prevention technologies and a new test that simulates a car striking a pole or a tree. The overall score combines the results of front, side and rollover tests and compares those results with average risk of injury and the potential for vehicle rollover of other vehicles.

Consumers will not be able to compare a score of a new 2011 model year vehicle with that of a 2010 model year vehicle because of the new test criteria. The window sticker attached to vehicles in dealership lots will need to be redesigned and will not include the overall score until the 2012 model year. Vehicles that have not been tested will be listed initially as “not rated.”

In the latest testing, most of the 34 vehicles reviewed received an overall score of four out of five stars. The 2011 Nissan Versa got two stars while hybrid and conventional versions of the Toyota Camry received three stars. Another 21 vehicles will be tested later this year.

The Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers, which represents General Motors, Toyota, Ford and other auto companies, said the changes will mean the ratings found on new car labels will probably go down, even in cases where there have been no significant changes to the vehicle.

Mike Stanton, president of the Association of International Automobile Manufacturers, which represents Toyota, Honda, Nissan and others, said car makers had been concerned about confusion over the new grading system. But he expected consumers to embrace the changes.

“Everybody knows that vehicles are very, very safe today so it's a degree of how safe and what's the new technologies and hopefully this will take hold as people pay attention,” Stanton said.
  • Options
    jsmit86jsmit86 Member Posts: 116
    Quoting avid2000 ....according to the service tech, holding down the start button for around 30 seconds will eventually start the vehicle. ...

I can confirm that this works. I tried it this morning. I had the brake pedal sensor switch issue last summer. Since the fix, no issues.
  • Options
    schdyschdy Member Posts: 233
    Went to my Dealer today for oil change on my 2006 Elantra. I asked if my 2011 Sonata was listed for recall and he said yes. He said so far they only found 2 cars that required tightening of bolts . He suggested I have my recall attended to when I have my first oil change in November. He said it takes approx 1/2 hr for the recall portion.
  • Options
    rsaksrsaks Member Posts: 1
    If you type in "qualified hybrid vehicles" in the IRS's website search, you are led to a page which shows which vehicles currently qualify for a Federal Tax Credit by model year. When you look at 2011 vehicles, ony BMW, Mercedes and Nissan vehicles are shown to qualify. No Hyundai Sonata hybrid. I contacted the IRS yesterday to see if there was some mistake. They said that the Sonata does not currently qualify, but to keep checking back.The website was last updated September 29th. They also said that the manufacturer is the one to certify that a vehicle qualifies. Didn't know that. So as it stands, no tax credit for the Sonata hybrid. I was surprised.
  • Options
    nj2pa2ncnj2pa2nc Member Posts: 811
    maybe they are waiting until they after they start selling the sonata hybrid. You never know there might be a holdup of some kind and it becomes the 2012 sonata hybrid before it starts to be sold.
  • Options
    prigglypriggly Member Posts: 642
    I prefer the Buick Regal Turbo to the Sonata Turbo for the following reasons:

1. The Buick is more refined.
    2. The Buick has a quieter ride with less N/V/H.
    3. The Buick's interior is more upscale and ergonomically superior.
    4. The Buick has a superior audio system.
    5. The Buick has H.I.D. Xenon headlamps.
    6. The Buick has a larger dealer network.
    7. The Buick is a premium brand.
    8. The Buick has a superior ride quality.

Mind you, the Sonata is still nice and is cheaper but I find that in this segment you get what you pay for.
  • Options
    cincyhoyacincyhoya Member Posts: 10
    So let's say the Sonata 2.0T Limited gets in right at $30k. A comparably equipped Regal turbo (I think the TO4 package looks right) comes in at $34k, so about a 13% premium.

For me, I'd take the Sonata based on price, power and size. HP / torque for the Sonata is 274 / 269 compared to 220 / 258 for the Regal. Total headroom & legroom front / rear is 85.5 / 72.4 for the Sonata and 80.0 / 74.1 for the Regal. Call me selfish, but I'll take the added room up front (at 6'5" that's a must). Add in projected fuel economy of 22/33 for the Sonata and 19/30 for the Regal, and the dollars add up.

All that said, I do agree with the "refined" argument all around (road noise, suspension, ergonomics). I drive a Sonata and while it's perfectly nice, it's in the Accord / Camry class. Buick aims to punch in the Lexus class, and from the looks of the Regal in pictures and from sitting in a Lacrosse, I think they're there.

To me, the dealer argument is loose, at best, and I'm not sure the Buick image / name is more or less desirable than Hyundai (just saying, both have to overcome 20 years of under-performance), so the question is "is the price worth the extra comfort?"

I do think both cars are actually great options. Frankly, it feels like more and more, "bad" options are far few in between. I think this comes down to what is YOUR driving priority. For me, space / price trumps refinement. If you choose refinement and "feel," well, that's your preference and a perfectly respectable one. I'm pretty sure I'd be happy driving either.
  • Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    This is something that's subjective, not a fact. Why do folks insist that their opinion or that of others is fact...it's just "personal opinion". Nothing more, nothing less... so each car is different for different people...all comes down to personal opinion. One's opinion is no better/worse than someone else's. But what is better for "you" based on your particular preferences.

Just got home from the Nissan shop to get some warranty work done and finally got to sit in the Rogue and a Sentra, both 2011's. Both good cars, but I prefer my Civic and liked the CRV better. I'm sure most would say the Civic & Rogue are better cars...personal opinion. And in the end only "1" opinion matters...MINE! End of story!

The Sandman :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    jerryk33jerryk33 Member Posts: 6
    My personal opinion is somewhat based on the technology reviews for this newer model due soon. (I hope) In any case it is MY choice for my next new car. The Buick, Ford, Toyota and other Hybrid's do not appear to have the technical advantage here. Hyundai appears to be the clear winner. I will wait for 3-six months after release to purchase. :-)

I am the proud owner of a 2002 Maxima with 88K miles which was and is an amazing automobile!
  • Options
    To me, the dealer argument is loose, at best

Actually, is is not so "loose."

Break down in your new Sonata in, say, Cody, WY and you are in for a 92 mile tow whereas if you break down in your new Regal, the nearest Buick dealer is around the block.
  • Options
    cincyhoyacincyhoya Member Posts: 10
    edited October 2010
    Well - can't argue with that. Geography certainly matters, absolutely. In fairness, I guess you'd have to say the same thing about Audi or other brands you might not find before you get to Bozeman or Billings. But point taken - that's certainly something you'd need to consider

It's funny, between my wife and I, we've owned 5 new cars (2000 Focus, 2003 Liberty, 2005 Hyundai Elentra GT, 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe and 2011 Hyundai Sonata) and have never had a dealership experience we really liked (cars purchased in Cincinnati OH, Greenbelt MD, Alexandria VA, and the last two in Fairfield OH). I don't know if it's an age thing (we're both 32), a lack of trust, or what, but I always feel like dealerships scream rip-off at every corner. I'd guess it would only take one really good relationship to change my mind, but I still come back to the dealer point is pretty personal.

Priggly - do you drive a Buick or have you? How have your dealership experiences been? Just curious - maybe it's a geography thing or maybe it's a brand thing. I'm actually interested in this because my wife and I both agree that we could see moving up to an Enclave and Lacrosse, respectively, next time around. Buick's doing some great things design wise and certainly has my interest - the price tag isn't quite right just yet.
  • Options
    32, eh??! Makes me feel old! I have been buying new cars since 1977 and have owned one or more cars from most mainstream manufacturers from Audi to VW.

During the 70s to the end of the last century I only owned only two cars from a domestic maker and that was GM (1979 Chevrolet Caprice Classic and 1985 Chevrolet Cavalier). The reason was that virtually all the offerings of the domestic makers during the period stated were literally junk. If you wanted quality you had to go import. [That is also how I know that the dealer network is important. I needed urgent repairs on a 1984 BMW 533i in 1985 and really had to hunt for a dealer. Fortunately, I was not too far from a major city in the mid-South and so it was not too much of a bother but had I been in northern WY I would have been out of luck!]

That has all changed now. Since the beginning of this century the Big Three, all three of them, have been offering increasingly better cars and SUVs and the offerings of the imports have been deteriorating. In my opinion and based upon three and one-half decades of buying and enthusiastically following cars, the domestics now offer the best combination of quality, features, value and practicality.

As far as dealership experiences are concerned, I have had good and bad experiences at both import and domestic dealerships in different parts of both the U.S. and Canada. It is not possible, at least based on my experiences, to make generalizations with the possible exception that if the car is a so-called exclusive or high-dollar brand, such as BMW, the service experience may be a bit more upscale (and so is the cost) but that is not a given.

Of the two vehicles I currently own, a 1997 Subaru Outback and a 2006 Chevrolet Impala SS, the Chevy has proven to be the more reliable car and the dealer experiences have been superior overall although that statement must be qualified by the fact that I have had far more exposure to Subaru dealerships than Chevy dealerships as I have owned the Subaru for nine more years. I would also point out that I have had fewer, far fewer problems with the Chevy during its first four years than with the Subaru during its first four years.

Although I have not yet owned a Buick, I have been following their quality development for the last decade quite closely and their product offerings have unquestionably been getting better and better. The new LaCrosse and Regal are both forces to be reckoned with and I would have absolutely no reservations owning either. Their reliability ratings now equal or exceed those of Lexus.

http://www.jdpower.com/autos/ratings/dependability-ratings-by-brand/

The Buick price is a bit higher than some but is generally less than others considered premium brands.

GM, Ford and Chrysler are definitely all on the right track now and that is good for the domestic producers and buyers alike.
  • Options
    We used to have the same feeling about getting car service at dealerships-ripoff. That all changed when we bought a 03 sonata in Nov. 02. The car had less than 100 miles on it when the transmission locked up. We drove it back to the dealer very slowly. The service advisor (he only started there a few weeks before) was great and went out of his way to be helpful. Long story-made short-the transmission was changed. It is now almost 8 years later-that advisor is now the service manager. We have moved to NC but did buy our '11 sonata from this dealer and still try to have our car serviced there. The dealer is in PA.
  • Options
    scottlscottl Member Posts: 109
    I'm looking for a manual transmission Sonata GLS anywhere from California to Illinois. There is only one in the state of CO, and it is not my favorite color.

Apparently either there is huge demand for the 6-speed manual versions, or the dumb azz dealers just want to extract another $1K out of every sale.

If anyone knows of a 6-speed for under $19K anywhere in the Midwest/West, post it here.
  • Options
    while having our 05 elantra serviced at our hyundai dealer we decided to look at the new sonata. This was on 7/27. We were very surprised to find they had numerous sonatas with manual transmission. We ended up trading our 05 elantra for a venetian red 6MT sonata. Before trade the price with the repeat owner rebate of $500.00 was $17,500. Keep searching=great car but do wish it had more options-sunroof, power seats, etc)Oh the dealer was in PA.
  • Options
    I wish I could find more than one in CO.

Manuals are still popular here and it is always a pain because they don't deal on them much. OH and PA are a little too far. KS UT NE AZ OK NM???
  • Options
    I can't find anywhere on the sorely lacking Hyundai website whether the rear seat folds flat.

It would be a deal-killer for me if it doesn't.
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    If you mean, does it fold completely flat, the answer is "no". It does fold 60/40, just not fully flat. But not many mid-sized sedans have a rear seat that folds completely flat. Some cars (my old Elantra hatch included) let you flip up the rear seat bottom to allow the backrest to fold flat. I don't see that much anymore though.
  • Options
    moontrainmoontrain Member Posts: 83
    Had my Limited in today for an oil change,they checked the bolts and did a software update.It took less than 1 hour for all the work. They told me they have seen no loose bolts at this point. My car was built March 26th. They also told me that they are checking all the 2011 Sonata's.
    I have had no problems with this car, not even one rattle, and I am getting 36mpg on the road. My 2011 has more power than my 2005 V6 Sonata.
    Great car.
  • Options
    I test drove a 2011 GLS today. It had an automatic, so I had to imagine what it would be like with a manual, but man, what a nice car. I was very impressed. I loved the firmness of the suspension. The car felt planted and cornered flat.

I did not like the trunk pass through with the seats down. I was hoping I'd be able to fit a bicycle in the back, but it would be difficult, even with the front wheel off. This might be a deal killer. Bikes get stolen off of roof racks all the time here, so I keep mine inside the vehicle.

I read where Hyundai will be making a Sonata wagon for Europe. That would be sweet. Wagons are a big reason that Subaru owns the market in CO, although Mazda tried with the 6 wagon, and it flopped.
  • Options
    sales_101sales_101 Member Posts: 3
    edited October 2010
    Took car in today for oil change. Service manager says you have a recall can you wait? Sure.

about an hour total. He said they put white paint on the bolts to show they have been inspected. He said the issue seems some bolts could be cross threaded causing the improper torque.

I have 12500 miles not a rattle, squeak. Great mileage and service.

Been Honda owner since the 80's and so far very happy with the change and savings in purchase price and gas bills.

Hyundai keep up the good work! Will make the other players have to step up!
  • Options
    A reporter is interested in talking with owners of the Hyundai Sonata who are also parents. If you are interested in commenting on your experience, please reply to pr@edmunds.com no later than Saturday, November 20, 2010 and include your city and state of residence, the model year of your vehicle and the age of your child/ren.

Thanks for your consideration,
    Jeannine Fallon
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds Inc.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• Options
    cpaacecpaace Member Posts: 3
    I think the gps in my 2011 Sonata is one of the best, right up there with Garmin. However, something strange. I tried to put in a friend's address and when I put the street it said it was not available. I found that strange because they have been living there for quite awhile. I then tried another address on a different street same neighborhood. So first conclusion is that it is not in the database for some reason. However, when we got to their house it showed the street name on the bottom of the page, as usual. So how is it that it could not recognize the street name as an existing street, but, did display it when we were on the street?
  • Options
    Did you notice any difference in the steering with the software update?
    I had mine done also and it seemed the steering was better on the highway.
  • Options
    sales_101sales_101 Member Posts: 3
    i Was told it was an inspection and nothing about software upgrade and time it took i doubt you could do any software upgrade.

My car has driven perfect from day one and same after inspection and I do alot of daily hwy driving.
  • Options
    I'm sure they must of done the software update, that is part of the recall.
    The software update doesn't take long.
  • Options
    ergsumergsum Member Posts: 146
    edited October 2010
    Note the revised front end that differs from the pre-production model.

Sonata Hybrid Review
  • Options
    I believe the Hybrid demands more air circulation via the front for cooling the electrical system.
  • Options
    ergsumergsum Member Posts: 146
    edited October 2010
    The pre-production hybrid model already had a different front end than the non-hybrid models. This front end is a further modification / refinement from the hybrid pre-production grille.
  • Options
    dash5dash5 Member Posts: 421
    Some high praise in there, happy to hear it.
  • Options
    I've heard from two different sources that Hyundai is ending production of the 6-speed manual. There already are no more left in my state (Colorado), and the dealer says they can not be ordered any more.

Can someone confirm this? I can't believe they would end production after only six months.
  • Options
    Have you tried calling Hyundai Customer Service and asking them?
  • Options
    pcgeek86pcgeek86 Member Posts: 72
    Hey guys,

Just a heads up ... I had a couple warranty items taken care of, without issue, by my local Hyundai dealership ... unlike the iPod static issue I have previously posted about.

1) Far right passenger vent would not open / close using the slider. It was locked shut, and the only way they could open it was to stick some tool in the vent and force it open.

Resolution: They ordered a replacement part, got it within a week, and resolved the matter.

2) The chrome piece on the trunk was bowed out, as if it were not attached fully. I was concerned that this could cause a potential issue for rain water to get inside somehow, but I think it's more just decorative.

Resolution: They were able to reattach it properly without ordering any replacement parts.

3) Steering recall -- I didn't have any issues with my car, but they performed the software upgrade for the steering system. I don't notice any physical changes to how the car steers.

4) Ignition recall -- they re-routed the ignition wires or something, due to another recall bulletin. Car is operating normally, and no differently prior to this service.

These issues all got taken care of quite simply by my dealership under warranty. No arguments on either side.

Cheers,
    Trevor Sullivan
  • Options
    Care to share the number for Hyundai Customer Service?

I'm going to guess they don't know, but I'll try. This is a sales issue, not a customer issue, but perhaps they can transfer me to someone.
  • Options
    Hyundai Customer Assistance-800-633-5151
  • Options
    atlanticoneatlanticone Member Posts: 19
    2 in Nebraska

1 White
    1 Harbor Gray

Both are at Todd Archer, Other states have many as well.
  • Options
    rysterryster Member Posts: 571
    Hyundai still allows you to configure a manual transmission Sonata at the hyundaiusa.com website. If they were ending production of the manual, they would remove it from the online configurator (or at least note it as having limited availability.)

This would be rather big news. Searching Google news for "Sonata Manual Transmission" brought up no stories related to Hyundai ending production of manual transmission Sonatas.

Also, the new 2011 Kia Optima reportedly is offering a manual transmission. Seeing as how it is built on the Sonata platform it would seem odd for Hyundai to stop making manual Sonatas yet still offer manual Optimas.
  • Options
    petdogdfwpetdogdfw Member Posts: 26
    I have had similar problems with my car since I bought it about 6 months ago. It is now back in the shop for creaking noises coming from the right front dash area. This is the 5th time it is in the shop. Hyundai has also brought in someone from the regional office to hopefully determine what the problem is and hopefully get it resolved.

The TSB for the Glove Box was performed on my car but that never solved the problem. And just like FISH8 has posted, the car will seem fine for a day or two and then creaking sound returns. It seems to be worse in the mornings too when it is cooler. Although being in the Dallas area, it has not gotten really chilly yet.

So yes it is possible that this problem exists in certain cars for whatever reason. I love my car and hope they can resolve this. I have no reason to slam Hyundai, I just hope they can resolve this too. Apparently it is an issue for at least some of the Sonatas.
  • Options
    I was going to post the number, then I remembered it is verboten to post phone numbers here. Maybe 1-800 numbers are OK, since they are public and available via Internet search anyway.

Let us know what you find out.
  • Options
    Yup, that's it - if it's a commonly-available phone number to a corporation, that's fine.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• Options
    connecticut2connecticut2 Member Posts: 41
    I am looking for a midsize hybrid and have looked at a Camry and an Altima. Both of them were OK - nothing to write home about. One feature I am looking for is shiftable(manual) auto transmission and, from what I understand, the Sonata Hybrid is offering it. Does someone happen to know if that's in fact the case?

Thanks..
  • Options
  • Options
    Haven't had time to clean my trunk and check the spare. Does the TPS system monitor air pressure of the spare in conjunction with the other 4 tires?