Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Hyundai Sonata

Comments

• schdyschdy Member Posts: 233
    If u go to Huntington Hyundai, ask for Bob Awn. Very nice salesman.
    Their Service Dept is the best on the East Coast. I've been dealing with them for over 10yrs. Good Luck!
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    If you have questions, please consult our Membership Agreement.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• cmj30cmj30 Member Posts: 1
    Syitalian25, What percentage and film type did you use?!

I have a 2011 black sonata with black interior and I am getting the windows tinted this week

Thank you
  • bshia66bshia66 Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 2011 Sonata Turbo before I heard of this issue. I experienced the pulling to the left as soon as I drove off the lot. I brought it back to the dealership and it has been there for a couple days now. The service department said they performed an alignment and an adjustment, but it still pulled to the left. They talked to Hyundai and Hyundai claimed that it needed a new front strut with the proper pitch. This all sounds like it should be a recall to me.
  • buzzy8buzzy8 Member Posts: 31
    Here is a link to a 41 page discussion regarding the ongoing issue on hyundaiforums.com

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/index.php?showtopic=54868&pid=408266&st=700&#entry- 408266
  • rswoodworthrswoodworth Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2011
    I also have a 2011 Turbo SE that started to pull left but it wasn't until I had 5000 miles on it. I did notice a slight drift left but just discounted it as the
    road or slight alignment setting. But now it will change lanes at highway speeds in a few car lengths. HOWEVER, no one on this forum as said anything about brakes being at fault. I was on a right turn on ramp, road slanted to the right, and the car still wanted to drift left! When I applied the brakes it pulled LEFT even more! As if the left caliper was grabbing more, sooner, or the right brake wasn't coming on! Take your pick, causing the left pull. If the brakes are faulty, even at highway cruise, the dragging caliper will cause a pull. That's what I'm looking at when I take it to the dealer! Anyone else notice this? Also there are probably more complaints but not everyone is posting here.
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Member Posts: 2,242
    A caliper on any vehicle that is dragging hard enough to cause the pull you describe would in short order warp the rotor and literally burn up the brake pads. You would smell it every time you got out of the car.

That being said, any pull caused by alignment, tires, etc. is exacerbated by applying the brakes. In other words, if a vehicle is pulling, braking will make it worse, in some conditions a LOT worse.
  • bshmidtbshmidt Member Posts: 3
    Guys,

Can you share the differences between SE turbo with the nav package vs limited without nav package.

In reality i see only difference is leather/non leather. IS there anything else
  • golfman10golfman10 Member Posts: 6
    Not only is the car still under warranty at 1500 miles, it is reasonable to assume the problem existed when the care was purchased since it happened the first time I accelerated hard and the car downshifted ok but would not upshift and stalled. There would seem to be a difference between selling a car with a defect and a defect occurring later during the warranty period. I never had to accelerate in that manner prior to the problem becoming apparent. Yeah you are right I'm not walking and I appreciate the loaner even though I would rather be driving the car I bought and not making multiple trips to the dealer. I suppose you could argue that I should have done a hard acceleration test before buying the car but I broke the car in IAW the owners manual. I argue that Hyundai should have tested the engine prior to shipping it to the dealer. I am pissed and really don't really care about anyones past Honda problems right now. Sorry
  • sellinhyundaissellinhyundais Member Posts: 5
    there are a few things . . . side miorror turn signals, leather and heated seats, rear vents for heat/air, auto dimming mirroe with compass is standard and the limited without nav has a 6-disc. Those would be all the differences!
  • shabadoo25shabadoo25 Member Posts: 232
    The Limited w/nav also has the backup camera, which the SE w/nav does not.
  • ewg54ewg54 Member Posts: 25
    test
  • gofalconsgofalcons Member Posts: 13
    edited March 2011
    Does anyone experience seat discomfort? i recently bought preowned 2011 GLS cloth seats, 14000 miles, and find the seats to be uncomfortable after about 30 minutes. Any solutions? Will Hyundai do anything to fix this?
    Also, I have sony mp3 player, the stereo will not read the player, or sometimes it does but shuts off in middle of song, trying to read usb. Is there a known problem with connection? I do not have the cable supplied by Hyundai. Do i need it to make it work?
  • rysterryster Member Posts: 571
    Seat comfort is not the best with the 2011 Sonata. I have become used to the seats, but it took a few months.

The USB input is not 100% compatible with all players. Hyundai offers an iPod cable, but for any other mp3 player a standard usb cable should suffice. Refer to page 4-116 of the manual for specific USB device requirements:

• To use an external USB device,
    make sure the device is not connected
    when starting up the vehicle.
    Connect the device after
    starting up.
    • If you start the engine when the
    USB device is connected, it may
    damage the USB device. (USB
    flashdrives are very sensitive to
    electric shock.)
    • If the engine is started up or
    turned off while the external USB
    device is connected, the external
    USB device may not work.
    • It may not play inauthentic MP3 or
    WMA files.
    1) It can only play MP3 files with
    the compression rate between
    8Kbps~320Kbps.
    2) It can only play WMA music
    files with the compression rate
    between 8Kbps~320Kbps.
    • Take precautions for static electricity
    when connecting or disconnecting
    the external USB device.
    • An encoded MP3 PLAYER is not
    recognizable.
    • Depending on the condition of
    the external USB device, the connected
    external USB device can
    be unrecognizable.
    • When the formatted byte/sector
    setting of External USB devices is
    not either 512BYTE or 2048BYTE,
    then the device will not be recognized.
    • Use only a USB device formatted
    to FAT 12/16/32.
    • USB devices without USB I/F
    authentication may not be recognizable.
    • Make sure the USB connection
    terminal does not come in contact
    the human body or other objects.
    • If you repeatedly mounting and
    unmounting the USB device in a
    short period of time, it may breakthe
    device.
    • You may hear a strange noise
    when connecting or disconnecting
    a USB device.
    • If you disconnect the external USB
    device during playback in USB
    mode, the external USB device can
    be damaged or may malfunction.
    Therefore, connect the external
    USB device when the audio is
    turned off or in another mode (e.g,
    Radio, XM or CD).
    • Depending on the type and capacity
    of the external USB device or
    the type of the files stored in the
    device, there is a difference in the
    time taken for recognition of the
    device.
    • Do not use the USB device for purpose
    other than playing music files.
    • Use of USB accessories such as
    rechargers or heaters using USB
    I/F may lower performance or
    cause trouble.
    • If you use devices such as a USB
    hub purchased separately, the
    vehicle’s audio system may not
    recognize the USB device. In that
    case, connect the USB device
    directly to the multimedia terminal
    of the vehicle.
    • If the USB device is divided by
    logical drives, only the music files
    on the highest-priority drive are
    recognized by car audio.
    • Devices such as MP3 Player/
    Cellular phone/Digital camera can
    be unrecognizable by standard
    USB I/F can be unrecognizable.
    • Some non-standard USB devices
    (METAL COVER TYPE USB) can be
    unrecognizable.
    • Some USB flash memory readers
    (such as CF, SD, microSD, etc.) or
    external-HDD type devices can be
    unrecognizable.
    • Music files protected by DRM
    (DIGITAL RIGHTS MANAGEMENT)
    are not recognizalbe.
    • The data in the USB memory may
    be lost while using this audio.
    Always back up important data on
    a personal storage device.
    • Please avoid using USB memory
    products which can be used as
    key chains or cellular phone
    accessories as they could cause
    damage to the USB jack. Please
    make certain only to use plug type
    connector products
  • pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 2
    I have been watching this Sonata forum for 6 years without participating. I have a 2006 Sonata Limited with 105 K miles. My most important advice is to buy that extended bumper-to-bumper warranty to 100k. It has been a very satisfying car to own, my favorite.
    Anything I wanted to be replaced was done by my eager dealer, so the warranty more than paid for itself. I paid $900 in the beginning. The parts replacement over the entire life (so far) was not unusual, but to be expected. I also have a policy on my washing machine, and it has paid for itself multiple times. What if the North invades South Korea? All parts would be cut off unless the Hyundai company has been quietly lining up other sources of parts in China, Europe, and the USA. I have asked this question twice to the Hyundai on-line survey, with no response. Imagine an Elantra, Azera, Equus, Accent without a flow of parts from Home !
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,290
    My most important advice is to buy that extended bumper-to-bumper warranty to 100k.

I would hazard to disagree with you. Extended warranties cover cars during what is arguably the most reliable time in a cars life.

Anything I wanted to be replaced was done by my eager dealer, so the warranty more than paid for itself. I paid $900 in the beginning.

Seriously I have owned close to a dozen new cars and bever had anything go rong with any of them that an extended warranty would have covered. I had a 2000 Elantra Station Wagon that went over 175K miles on just routine maintenance, I am hopeful that my new 2011 Sonata does as well.

If you had an extended warranty that paid more in repairs than it cost you are in the minority. Think of it, the provider of the extended warranty would go bankrupt if it paid out more than it took it in. Out of that $900 you paid the company needs to pay out claims, overhead, operating costs and commissions.

What if the North invades South Korea?

I don't think that would happen anytime soon. North Korea simply doesn't have the might.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 2
    N. Korea does not have the might, but the little dictator has the madness to do it. 25% of the North's population is predicted to be on starvation rations this year (last week's press release).

My extended warranty paid for door lock replacement, window roll-up replacement, both front struts, front rubber bushings above and below to stop squeaks, auto a c repair, windshield washer repair, shift interlock solenoid. That is more than $900, but I do not have receipts to prove it.

The powertrain warranty paid for throttle body replacement and leaky oil gasket. I paid for sewing up my frayed leather drivers seat at 95K.

At 105K, I paid $360 for spark-plug change. Each plug costs 17.77, NGK IR, IFR5G-11. I also paid $320 for a second throttle body replacement, FP 35100-3C200. Also at 105 K, I replaced rear brakes for $140. Front brakes were replaced at 96K.

Lack of power and damage in Japan will demonstrate to all what a disaster can do to an auto industry, including american assembly lines.

I have had a lot of vehicles in my 70 years, but they were American. They all had severe problems around 70 to 80K, such as Transmissions, oil pumps and timing chains, so they were replaced as unreliable.

I see one cannot make statements in this forum without backing them up. People react emotionally. That is why this additional statement was offered to you.
  • samm43samm43 Member Posts: 195
    I wonder if I am the only one who was thinking that there were some excessive repairs for a car in that number of miles? (I'm not referring to wear or maintenance items). No wonder you appreciated that you bought the extended warranty. The 3rd throttle body surprised me the most.
    Sorry you had to have all that trouble with it though. Even if repairs are covered without question, it is still a big inconvenience dealing with them each time.

Sam
    Sounds like you had a lot of stuff done on that car. Seems like way to much for one car under the 100-125 mile range. I have taken may cars well beyound 125K miles with little more than routine maintenance and replacing wear and tear items.

But the fact is most cars will need less in repair costs than an extended warranty costs. If not offering extended warrantees would be a losing proposition. Granted there will be the occasional car that covered repais will be more than the cost, but thats the exception rather than the rule.

In short if an extended warranty costs $1000 you can bet that the average car for that make and model will incure less than $500 in covered repairs. Those are odds that only a Keno player would love.

As for North Koria, if they start anything there would be limited interruption as they would quickly be pushed back.

Now thats all I will say for this as it is off topic.

Back to Sonatas. I got one a month or so ago and loving it (or at least she who must be obeyed is loving it).

Doesnt anyone have problems with their seat like i am? My hips, butt, and hamstring are so sore everyday after driving. The dealer service manager looked at the seat, compared it to another vehicle, said its normal. I seriously think there is something wrong with the seat. The dealer didnt take the seat out of the car, he just looked at it!! What the...? I contacted Hyundai, said " sorry about your frustration with the seat, thanks for contacting, we will forward your case to department responsible for future changes" I think they should at least pay the dealer to fully inspect the seat. Opinions anyone?
  • targettuningtargettuning Member Posts: 1,371
    What? are the springs protruding? Exactly what could the dealer determine by removing the seat? As long as it is correctly manufactured e.g. no lumps, no padding misplaced, no broken frame or springs which can pretty much be ruled out by what they already did (compare it to another car) what more would expect to find?. Did you spend any seat time in this car, or one like it, before buying? So, since you solicted opinions here is mine, you either don't fit the seat or the design doesn't suit you. Both should have been evaluated before spending $20,XXX only to find "you don't like it". On the slim possibility the seat itself is defective in some obscure way the best shot at determining that would be to try to find one to rent and use it for a day. By the way how much time do you spend driving daily? Maybe it is a matter of seat adjustment?
  • petdogdfwpetdogdfw Member Posts: 26
    I have had my 2011 Sonata Limited for about a year. The only thing I would say about my seats is that they are very firm and seem a little hard, but really it has never really bothered me. I have driven it on a trip and it doesn't seem too bad.

There have been numerious comments about the seats not being soft enough, but that seems to be the intended design for this vehicle. I have also driven the Genesis Sedan and the seats are more plush but the cost is also much higher as it is more of a luxury car.

The dealership tells me the seats may soften a little over time.
  • alookmanalookman Member Posts: 141
    Targettunning, Hyundai needs to hire you as their PR man.

Unless you can keep a car for few days, test driving hardly allows long term or long drive experience. I found them to be fine, but I have read comments from reviews that the seats are not the most comfortable, but it's very subjective. My nephew right away rejected Sonata on basis of seats not being comfortable but till you sit in them for few hours it would be impossible to determine that.

How about the seat cushion with massager? That may be the short term fix!
  • ahossa1ahossa1 Member Posts: 52
    R U a plus size person? there's not much redress when the seats are hard. I believe the seats were not made softer to keep the car low priced. I guess U may have to trade in and get a car more comfortable. I normally rent a car for a day to try it out for road and engine noise cuz that's a big problem for me. I like quiet cars. I test drove the Kia Optima EX (200 HP) and I drove on Sunrise Highway on Long Island, NY and a lot of road or tire noise protruded into the cabin. I know folks are raving about this car and the Sonata but too much noise for my liking. Now the Buick Regal is a pretty quiet car in both trims but the experts keep finding hosts of problems. Just read Inside Line on edmunds.
    Tell me how to evaluate a seat. Alot of cars i test drove i could tell right away i wouldnt like the seat. As for the Sonata, i test drove a few times. I actually didnt have this problem for the first couple weeks of driving it. So unless i can test drive a car for weeks then there is no way of knowing if the seat will fit me. I think there is something in the design, something small, that over time just built up and now i am feeling pain. I tried all types of adjustments on the seat, nothing works. Its possible it is not enough lumbar support, and going to look into a cure for that.
    While I will admit that the seats are a bit firm but they really aren't that uncomfortable. They seem to give me the support I need, don't have any real issues with them.

• moontrainmoontrain Member Posts: 83
    The driver seat on my Limited is ok, but my wife said that the seat she sits on is too low. We had to go and buy a pillow for her.
    My wife also says the passenger seat is low. I do think they put the passenger seat in rather low.

however she is the main driver of the car so its not that big of a deal.

Installed new cabin and engine air filters this morning. After 13,000 miles the cabin filter was absolutely disgusting. Black with large pieces of debris embedded in it. Replacing it was a 5 minute job. Used a Wix cabin air filter, part #24013. Based on the condition this filter was in and the ease of replacing it, I intend to start replacing it every 6,000 miles instead of letting it go 13K-15K miles.

Also replaced the engine air filter. The original was very dirty. Again, a very simple 5min job. Used a Wix filter, part # 49540. 12K-15K miles seems to be the useful life of the engine filter.

Ordered the filters online and saved a bundle over what the dealer was going to charge. Paid $30 total for both filters, including shipping. My dealer quoted me $30 just for the engine air filter. The cabin filter was going to be another $40.

Interestingly enough, both of the Wix filters are stamped "Made in South Korea", and appear virtually identical to the OEM filters. Perhaps the OEM filters are Wix filters?

These filters are very simple to replace, and I recommend people try to do it themselves instead of paying the dealer inflated prices to do it.
  • flyboy21flyboy21 Member Posts: 7
    I have a 2011 Limited and have taken 2 trip of over 1700 mi. and have not had the problem with the seat. I am 75 so I think I would have had a problem.
    I did have a problem many years ago but after I took my billfold out of my back pocket and put it into my front pocket I have not had any problems with any seats.
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    What vendor did you order the filters from?
    I used Rock Auto

I believe I may have transposed the digits on the engine air filter...it may actually be 49450. The Rock Auto site has a great interactive catalog and will return the correct parts based on the vehicle model and year.
  • gjb01gjb01 Member Posts: 2
    edited April 2011
    I just got my Limited Turbo today and when I got home after about a 35 mile drive, I had the burning smell. It's the reason why I came to this forum - sounds like others have had the same.
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    edited April 2011
    Most, probably all, brand new cars have some burning smell for awhile after purchase. It's just the factory coatings and stuff being burned off the parts that get real hot. Often test drives don't get the parts that hot so you don't notice the smell or the demo you drive may have already been through the initial burning smell thing. Don't worry about it unless it continues for quite awhile or you see smoke. ;)
    I can not get my Ipod touch to work. I am using the cable that came with the Ipod.
    Do I need another cable or should the one I have work? How do you get it to work?
  • denp3denp3 Member Posts: 99
    Yes, you need the special cable from Hyundai.
  • targettuningtargettuning Member Posts: 1,371
    edited April 2011
    Well, I simply tried to apply some common sense. Sure, you don't usually get to keep a car for a very long test drive BUT seats are, as you say, one of those subjective things that everyone takes a chance on when they buy any car but this person wants to have the dealer remove the driver seat to check...what exactly? That seems silly and pointless and that is what I pointed out. I wish Hyundai would hire me, I'd probably be making much more than I do now!! :)
  • rich27514rich27514 Member Posts: 41
    I am very happy with the seat on my new Sonata. However, I have run into problems with seats before. My Hyundai let me take a Sonata for 2 days to make sure the seat was okay for me. I have done that with other dealers, as well.
  • keyman2keyman2 Member Posts: 78
    edited April 2011
    What Hyundai Dealer do you deal with?I don't think it's in NYC?I didn't buy my car yet due to alot of problems with sickeness of my girlfriend.I'm looking to buy one next month I hope.I've seen the 2011 Elantra limited and it looks great without the engine pip.I'm looking for a good dealer,I had one Atlantic but the guy left.They still seem pretty good?
  • rich27514rich27514 Member Posts: 41
    Johnson hyundai in Cary, NC. I have had similar experiences at other dealers in MA and CA, but I have never bought a car in NY.
  • nickysnickys Member Posts: 42
    Well, my butt hurt at first but not nearly as bad as riding in the passanger seat of a 2010 corvette.

After several hundred miles I broke in the leather/it molded to my butt...
    My Sonata is now 1 year old. Does anyone know how to get the newest map updates?
    After 1 year there must be updates. I have version 2.11.13.
  • shot_mosshot_mos Member Posts: 24
    You can check for the availability of any upgrades for your navigation system at :

Hyundai MnSoft

HYUNDAI MNSOFT provides updates on regular basis once a year. Customers can order their updates using our secure web site directly or by ordering from our customer service representative over the phone.
  • gjb01gjb01 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info!
  • lfr3lfr3 Member Posts: 12
    I bought at Atlantic Hyundai because the price was the best. I am not happy with the Service dept. My car has been in 4-6 times for a bluetoth pblm. Finally I was told by Atlantic service that California Service, says there's nothing they will do. I have also been through the North East Regional Service Mgr who says go back to the dealer. The NE regional mgr says CA did not say that. Who's lying? My car is still not fixed. Person on other end hears echo and misses every 2-3 words?
    I was told that on Long Island, Huntington has the best service dept. I will use them for new issues, but I can't for the current ones since it will void out the Lemon Law issue.
  • schdyschdy Member Posts: 233
    Have you tried a different phone? Most bluetooth problems are related to the phone or carrier.
    I bought my first car in 2002 from Atlantic. Next 5 I purchased from Huntington. Best service and best price when trading in!
    edited April 2011
    Person on other end hears echo and misses every 2-3 words?

When you are using the Bluetooth try turning down the volume on the radio. The echo can be from the microphone picking up the speakers. Turning down the volume may reduce the effect or even eliminate it. That might also cure the missing words.

• hjc1hjc1 Member Posts: 183
    BEWARE OF KOREN AUTO IMPORTS In March I ordered a S.S. Chrome metal lower level door trim for a 2011 Sonata. What I received was Chromed plastic trim piece. ( They subsequently changed the web site to read chrome plastic trim)

My Son thought he would do me a favor and mounted this trim before I got home. I called their U.S. representative Sherwood automotive to advise them that their description was wrong and I wasn’t happy. They offered me a $20.00 credit against another purchase and said they could not issue me a credit against my credit card because they changed companies who handle these transactions.
    I decided to use this credit for another purchase a graphite overlay for the door switch panels ($59.95) For a 2011 Sonata. Received the overlays and guess what they did not match the cut outs for the 2011 Sonata. Called again and gave them the information on what was wrong about the fit. They said I was wrong and all they would do is give me RMA # and would deduct a 20% restocking fee and I would have to pay postage to return their error. Oh but now I could a refund check…… they didn’t offer this before only credit
    DO YOU WANT TO DEAL WITH COMPANY LIKE THIS? I’ve learned my lesson “A word to the wise should be sufficient”
    edited April 2011
    I called them ( mnsoft ) and they told me it will cost me $220.00 for the new upgrade.
    You wll have to pay everytime you want an update. Out now is version 3.07.06, I have 2.11.13.
    At that price I think I will wait until next year or the year after.
    OK I took a day trip yesterday of 250 mile round trip. Seats weren't bad at all, didn't feel any adverse effects from the seats.

Funny thing is according to the computer we got better mileage once we got off the interstate driving around in town than we got on the highway. Of course driving there we were driving into very high winds (at least 25 MPH based on observing flags). Got much better gas mileage on the way home. :blush: