Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Hyundai Sonata

Comments

• 8babies1dog8babies1dog Member Posts: 122
    /IMO, the overall look and feel of the SE was more to my liking, I actually waited
    a while for it to be tested by consumers. I have the 2009/2010 V6, I almost made
    a big mistake, the one I got came off the showroom floor. I told them to get my
    car out of their building and put an I4 instead. They said that the car wasn't for sale
    I said simply, that is false advertising you can't sell what you don't have, there are
    no more V6's anywhere so, like I said get my car out here. It did get a little funny
    but I was serious. NO SE V6 I go to the Azera, but I really wanted the SE. Very
    big difference than the GLS or the Limited!!!
  • dodgeman07dodgeman07 Member Posts: 574
    edited February 2010
    wolverinejoe80: Your post was an attempt to back up someone stating that the CC was 50% more expensive than 2011 Sonata. It's not.

Your speculation that 2011 Sonata's will be selling for $17K is fantasy land. 2011 Sonata's will average around $23K out the door - all year long. It's a sweet new model with the best warranty on the planet.

Most VW 2010 CC's with the I4 go for $28K-$29K (and we're talking apples to apples - not a V6 4Motion). $23K vs. $29K is not 50% on my calculator.
  • hhr06hhr06 Member Posts: 47
    shabadoo please be sure to let us no how u make out with the price. i'll drive up to atlanta from central fl for that discount.find it hard to beleive that they will sell the car for that much under msrp. not much profit for the dealer with out help from hyundai. r u buying or leasing?
  • shabadoo25shabadoo25 Member Posts: 232
    I am buying, because I am part of the way through a credit rebuilding process and it made more sense for me. I have trouble believing the deal also, but this is one of the 2 Atlanta area dealers that USAA recommends. I will be happy to share the details with you offline once I take possession of the car and confirm that everything is on the up and up. I can tell you now that I really like my salesguy and you would, too.
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    edited February 2010
    Fitzmall in Clearwater is selling new '11 Sonatas for around 1200 under MSRP. When you consider that Shabadoo's deal $2500 included $500 loyalty rebate it was really $2000 under MSRP if not a current Hyundai owner now. That's only a $825 difference. Depending on where you live in Florida it may be easier to pick one up there. Just a thought.
    Maybe I got $2k off because it was a decked out LTD? Not sure. My sales guy said they wouldn't let him sell the new Tucson for below MSRP the first month and he only sold 1, so they learned the error of their ways.

BTW, not including mine, they are expecting a shipment of 17 more including 2 LTDs w/nav.
  • dash5dash5 Member Posts: 421
    Hmm maybe they are just being aggressive in trying to get market share?

My only concern at this point is lack of reviews. Once that happens I'll feel confident in the car. Then it becomes a matter of do I want to wait 6 months for any issues to reveal themselves or be an early adopter of a hot new model. Hmm.
    Yeah, that bugged me, too. I'm going to rely on the Hyundai warranty for peace of mind.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    edited February 2010
    indeed, the Hyundai Azera does appear to be on the way to being phased out.

The above car, the i-flow, is being designed at Hyundai's Germany Design HQ's and is being slated to replace the Azera.

Some evidence:

http://www.thecarconnection.com/marty-blog/1042560_2010-geneva-motor-show-previe- - - w-hyundai-i-flow-concept

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• LASHAWNLASHAWN Member Posts: 303
    I'll be in the market in a couple of months. Can you give that salesman name and dealership name? I live in Savannah, GA and would gladly take the three hour drive to ATL for that price. I'm also scheduled to tour the plant here soon.
  • sduff68sduff68 Member Posts: 52
    edited February 2010
    I test drove a 2011 Sonata SE twice. I also own a 2009 Limited 4 cylinder with NAV. I feel the best way to describe the 2011 SE is to compare it to my 2009 Limited.

External Appearance:

The 2011 wins hands down. It is the most attractive vehicle in it's class when compared to Toyota Camry, Honda Accord, Mazda 6 or Chevy Malibu. The only vehicle that comes close to it is the one it closely resembles the Volkswagen CC. I personally think many will mistake it for it for a Mercedes or a Lexus. I love the fact that the 4 cylinder SE has a dual exhaust (something my 4 cylinder lacks so I added a custom one) two failed tries later and my exhaust is still jacked. As soon as I get the money I have to try to get it re-done again. However the Limited 2011 Sonata isn't going to have a dual exhaust...only the SE.

Interior Appearance:

The interior is nice...but I actually prefer the appearance of my 09 Limited’s interior. I am old fashioned and like the traditional wood trim chrome accent look more than the Brushed Aluminum and Black accented "modern" somewhat space ship look in the 2011. I still want to see how the Limited looks with the wood trim...maybe my opinion will change. The things I like about the new car are the seats, they are very sporty in appearance and very supportive. The vehicle you fits you like a glove and at the same time it still feels spacious. The armrest extends farther than in the previous generation Sonata and it is easier to rest your arm on it while still holding on to the steering wheel.

The view out the windshield is wide and spacious...you can't even see the hood of the car while you are driving. You also have a good view out the side and rear windows as well.

Interior Storage:

Hyundai added a cubby for storage at the bottom of the center stack and moved the IPOD, aux, USB jacks to that location. The also added a cubby just beneath the armrest. These are features I really envy because I usually have to store my Blackberry or my IPOD inside my cup holders when I just want to have easy access to them in my 09. They also re-added storage to the rear passenger doors, something that my car lacks.

Ergonomics/Creature Comforts:

All the HVAC and radio controls are easy to reach and activate. If you have a Limited 2009 or 2010 you will recognize the "little seated man" that is the control button for the mode on the HVAC ("heating, ventilating, and air conditioning") vents going to the face, feet, windshield defrost, etc.) only now instead of being a little icon inside of the little LCD screen it is the actual button you use to control the HVAC modes

They moved the controls for the trip computer to the bottom left side of the steering wheel beneath the cruise control. In addition, they screen for the trip computer is a little LCD screen! My trip computer controls are to the left of the steering wheel on the dash...the location of the controls for the 2011 are very convenient and you won't have to take your hands of the wheel to access them now. In addition, the 2011 has controls for the integrated blue tooth on the left side of the steering wheel beneath the audio controls. This is a feature I really miss on my car and I have a detachable JABRA unit that I use on my 2009 Limited. I didn't bother with the system Hyundai offers as an add on since it isn't integrated into the stereo and the JABRA works the same way as Hyundai's much more expensive unit.

Radio/iPod interface:
    The sound quality of my 2009 Limited's Infinity radio/NAV blows the one in the 2011 SE away...I mean there is no comparison. I also like the iPod interface in my car better. The iPod controls were a little confusing and I had difficulty getting to the various modes to switch to different songs. However I have to admit that the vehicle I test drove did not have NAV so I could not compare the interfaces, but I assume it is the same.

The new car is also extremely quiet. One of the biggest disappointments with my car is how loud the 4 cylinder is when compared to the 6. I intentionally did not drive the 6 when test driving because I knew I would like it more...I find myself regretting that decision. I think I would have been happier getting the 6 with no NAV as opposed to getting the 4 with NAV.

With the 2011 either the engine is more refined, or they increased the sound deadening or both! At Highway speeds the car is a lot more quiet. The mirrors have a nice sculpted shape, and I think this probably contributes to how quiet the car is.

Performance:

The additional 25 horses are for real. I drive my 2009 pretty hard and I got to put the 2011 through the paces. It gets to 60 a couple of ticks faster than mine and gets to 80 effortlessly. However...although I can see while looking at the speedometer that it is a faster car it doesn't really "FEEL" faster. When you step on the gas from a stop it still doesn't push you back into the seat. However, at highway speeds it has plenty of passing power and the car is still a joy to drive. I am sure the turbocharged 2.0 engine will give it the power of the previous V6 with the gas mileage of the naturally aspirated 4.

Unlike my 2009 Sonata Limited the 2011 Sonata SE is actually fun to drive. The car definitely handles better as well and the new seats in the SE grip you like a glove while going through the corners and they are very comfortable.

Overall, I like the 2011 Sonata and I wish I would have waited. However, the 2009 Sonata Limited is still a great car with a nice luxurious appearance. I would have never thought that they would improve the car so much two years after a major refreshing and only four years after the car first came out.

Hyundai has the new leader in the affordable midsize sedan class, and it may even persuade some people to forego a Lexus, Acura, or even a Hyundai Genesis in it’s Limited trim with the 2.0 turbo!
  • wolverinejoe80wolverinejoe80 Member Posts: 337
    edited February 2010
    dodgeman07

i previously stated that the difference will be 35%-40%. not 50%. last year's sonata would've been 50%.

I recalculated using the factual numbers given by both hyundai and VW. i still get almost 40%

sonata's base price + highest price / 2= $19,195 + 28,115(limited with nav + freight) / 2 = $23,655
    i4 CC's base price + highest price / 2 = $27,760 + $36,520(luxury with nav + freight) / 2 = $31,890

price difference of median= $8235

Hyundai incentive/discount factor = at least $1000 if not more.

$8235+$1000= $9235 real life price difference

$9235 / $23,655 = 39%

again, i'm being very generous on incentive/dealer discount factor.
  • wolverinejoe80wolverinejoe80 Member Posts: 337
    and if you use average discount of 20% for sonata vs. 10% for CC

you get

$23,655 x .8 = $18924
    $31,890 x .9 = $28701

=$9771

$9771 / $18924 = .52%

so 50% is still a possibility. last gen sonata averaged about 20-22% below msrp over 5 year period. but most likely new sonata's incentives+discount will no longer be 20%. camry and accord is around 8-11%, so i assume 15% for sonata is not out of question. that's basically getting $2000 rebates + $1500 dealer discount on a 23k sonata. but who knows hyundai becomes really cocky and doesn't give out huge incentives like they used to?
    After I get my car and make sure that I am satisfied with my transaction, I will give out the salesman's info. Shouldn't be more than 3-5 more days.
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    Well, ALG can do it. They do it because they HAVE to do it; leases are based on resale/residual values.

Your faith and belief in ALG has no merit. ALG has no qualities of any value other than "many people/companies" use it as a guide.

Unfortunately for GM & Chrysler, their super inaccurate overinflated resale values on SUV's and trucks recently helped speed their rush to bankruptcy as their lease departments lost BILLIONS thanks to ALG's inaccuracies.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Actually you are not allowed to post a salesperson's name here. Just the dealership name. Sorry.
    It's not faith and belief; it's the cold hard fact that ALG is in business to estimate residual values. Thus they are professionals at it. Doesn't mean they are infallible, but as you said, many companies use it as a guide; if it were of no value, I doubt companies would use it.
    Companies also bought worthless insurances from AIG. Just because companies use it, doesn't mean it has any kind of value or accuracy. Companies that went bankrupt used ALG, so that's not exactly a ringing endorsement of ALG.

The same thing happened (or would have happened absent gov't bailouts) to companies using AIG.

In my mind, AIG and ALG are worth about the same, and that is worthless (absent a bailout of GM, Chrysler, and just about every bank that bought insurance from AIG, and AIG itself.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    Ted Williams failed about 60% of the time when he batted over .400, also. Not a ringing endorsement of a player regarded by many as one of the best to play the game.

Can we move on and talk about the 2011 Sonata, please, rather than your vendetta against companies that start with "A"?
  • syitalian25syitalian25 Member Posts: 303
    edited February 2010
    Well in 3-5 years gas will likely be $4+ per gallon again and the used 2011 Sonata will still be far superior than the 2008-2012 Camry, Accord, Fusion, etc. in terms of power, features, style, and mileage. I can definitely see people being willing to pay as much if not more for a used 2011 Sonata as they would a 2011 Accord.

Remember, the ALG bases their rates on the original MSRP, so even if the Accord and Sonata were selling used for about the same that would be a much higher percent of the original MSRP for the Sonata.
    tx for the info i only live about 50 miles from clearwater, shorter drive then georgia
  • dg0472dg0472 Member Posts: 89
    I don't know where they think they're getting their information from about the i-flow. Sounds like they're just using the WAG method. This car is just a concept to tease of what the next i-40 is going to be. That is, the next European version of the Sonata. We've long known Europe was getting a different version including a wagon. Furthermore, there have already been plenty of spy pics of the next Grandeur/Azera and it looks nothing like that.
    btw for those of you waiting for reviews, this was posted at http://www.insideline.com/hyundai/sonata/2011/2011-hyundai-sonata-presentation-w- ebcast.html

Come back to IL on Thursday morning to watch a live Webcast introducing the 2011 Hyundai Sonata to a group of automotive journalists. | February 16, 2010 | Hyundai Motor Company

According to this, the press is getting the car on Thursday, so we can expect initial test drives by the weekend hopefully?
  • lancep97lancep97 Member Posts: 36
    Just a quick heads up.. insideline.com is going to be webcasting the 2011 Sonata Press Presentation Live Thursday 2/18 at 9am PST. I can't wait to hear Hyundai's answers to all the journalists' questions.

Went and looked again at 2011 Sonata Limited this weekend at dealership in east Texas and the salesman said that a lot of their technicians were just back from a training session and were told the hybrid would definitely not be coming out anytime this year. He said to expect the turbo around October.
    I think an influence on the 3yr residual that ALG is forcasting for the Sonata is due in part that the car will have two years of bumper-to-bumper warranty left.
  • swingmanswingman Member Posts: 54
    hopefully the video will be posted somewhere for those who can't watch it live. Or even better, a transcript. Can't wait to see some reviews come out.

Stinks about the hybrid but at least it's not coming out a month or 2 after I buy my car lol.
    Definitely true, the ratings are based on 3yrs/36000 miles. Buying a used car with 2 years of warranty left would definitely be a selling point for any used car, nothing wrong with that. And even at 5 years there will still be the powertrain warranty for another 5, although I'm not sure it applies to the new owner. For the older models I believe it reverted to only 6yr/60000 mile powertrain once it was transfered?
  • lancep97lancep97 Member Posts: 36
    Second and/or subsequent owners have powertrain components coverage under the 5-Year / 60,000-Mile New Vehicle Limited Warranty. Excludes coverage for vehicles in commercial use (i.e., taxi, route delivery, delivery service, rental, etc.).

Other small details of the warranty coverage:
    Radio and audio systems (i.e., radio, compact disc player, DVD player, navigation system, and Bluetooth®): 3 years / 36,000 miles
    Paint: 3 years / 36,000 miles
    Battery: 3 years / unlimited miles (100% covered 2 years / unlimited miles; after 2 years and within 3 years, 25% cost of battery and 100% labor cost covered)
    Air conditioner refrigerant charge: 1 year / unlimited miles
    Adjustments: 1 year / 12,000 miles
    Wear items: 1 year / 12,000 miles (e.g., belts, brake pads and linings, clutch linings, filters, wiper blades, bulbs, fuses)
  • jaimzjaimz Member Posts: 15
    In the prices paid forum, someone mentioned the GLS stereo sounded "tinny." Can anyone verify this. I plan on checking out these bad boys as soon as they arrive on the West Coast.

Anyone checking out the standard stereo sound? On the same note, how's the Limited's Infinity stereo sound?
    I test drove a LTD w/o nav, which I believe comes with the Dimension sound system? It sounded pretty good for a factory radio.
    is fitzmall same as fitzgerald huyndai in clearwater? could only find fitzgerald plenty of huyndai dealer's in central florida. still looks like the best deal so far is the lease of the gls.
    is fitzmall same as fitzgerald huyndai in clearwater? could only find fitzgerald plenty of huyndai dealer's in central florida. still looks like the best deal so far is the lease of the gls.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    edited February 2010
    this sort of conjecture happens in the automotive industry while companies design new rigs.

"I don't know where they think they're getting their information from about the i-flow. Sounds like they're just using the WAG method. This car is just a concept to tease of what the next i-40 is going to be. That is, the next European version of the Sonata. We've long known Europe was getting a different version including a wagon. Furthermore, there have already been plenty of spy pics of the next Grandeur/Azera and it looks nothing like that. "

Their business plan makes sense, though. Slotting the i-flow Azera in just above the Sonata in size, allowing them to price the Equus and Genesis sedan more, but price it competitively in order to still make a profit. Sounds reasonable to me. I got that information from the carconnection.com. I don't know where they got it. A little further research could probably drudge report that up, though.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

Thanks ergsum that is an encouraging little article. They say the embargo is over Monday and although they cant write in depth they sounded pretty impressed by it. At least that was my read (between the lines).
  • swingmanswingman Member Posts: 54
    I wonder if the 22 mpg for city will be easy to beat. Hope so.

Also, anyone know why there is a review/impressions embargo til monday? Is that normal for new cars?
    Not sure if it's standard to embargo or not but it doesnt seem like they handled it well. If you were going to make a big splash at the Superbowl, which they did, you'd have to think people would come to sites like Edmunds or Consumer Reports and look for reviews. Which they did:

http://www.thecarconnection.com/marty-blog/1042427_2011-hyundai-sonata-wins-big-- in-superbowl-ads-audi-dodge-less-so

"The 2011 Hyundai Sonata ended the night at the top of the heap. Compared with average Sunday traffic, that model saw a 267% jump in views here on TCC, and a 594% increase on Edmunds.com."

Only to be met with ... well not much. Eh, like I said earlier, if at the end of the day the reviews are solid then it's all good.
  • jimbresjimbres Member Posts: 2,025
    FWIW, the NY Times reports that a shortage of quality late-model used cars is pushing up residuals across the board.

(I can't furnish a link because the Times requires registration, but if you're a subscriber, look for an article about Honda Accord leases that ran in this past Sunday's Auto section. The information about higher residuals appeared in the body of that article.)
    That new Sonata looks awfully good, just like a Lexus really.

Kudos to Hyundai if they can make the interior equal the exterior, the reliability equal Honda, and the price undercut all.
  • chronochrono Member Posts: 149
    I completely agree, it looks much like a cross between a ES and a CC which looks great to me. I applaud Hyundai for putting so many features STANDARD. As the other guys literally give you a stripper model if you purchase a base. The Sonata GLS comes with every safety feature and bonus features like cruise, bluetooth, shiftronic, the list goes on. Hyundai is moving it forward, not Toyota or Honda.
    edited February 2010
    The base stereo sounds decent, not great - about the same as you'd get other cars in the class or the 09/10 Sonata's base stereo.

I definitely wouldn't say it is tinny though, it doesn't compare to the 400 watt Inifinity system but it's still sounds good. Standard iPod integration is a nice feature too.
  • jsmit86jsmit86 Member Posts: 116
    Has anyone seen a Limited with a Camel Interior?

The descriptions I have seen say that wood grain replaces the piano black accents, but the few pictures I have seen show black accents with the Camel interior.
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Member Posts: 2,242
    I have seen a black Ltd with camel, but don't remember the trim. I do remember the interior looking very upscale, and the red GLS was beautiful. The paint looked like it was still wet (it wasn't, of course). These have been for sale in Texas for over a week. The dealer cannot keep them on the lot, though. And it is a big dealer.
    Just google "fitzmall" and the website comes right up. Click on the Search Inventory and look for Florida locations and search for the Sonata. They have lots of locations around the Maryland, VA and DC area as well. They seem to have very aggressive pricing on Hyundais and VWs. Not so much on other brands.
    tx could not find any 2011 a lot of 2010 tho
  • ay50ay50 Member Posts: 11
    I definitely wouldn't say it is tinny though, it doesn't compare to the 400 watt Inifinity system but it's still sounds good. Standard iPod integration is a nice feature too.

I believe the OP noted that he was tuned to XM at the time. XM quality varies between stations (I had the 90 day free-trial but decided not to subscribe after that was up) and the overall quality of the sound isn't that great due to (from my limited understanding) the satellite signal being compressed in order to fit in the allocated bandwidth.
    You probably only looked at page 1. There are three pages of Sonatas and they have about ten 2011's on the last page.
    Spent 6 hours at the Chicago auto show today and am too tired to give a lot of details. But suffice to say that the Sonata models on the floor, a LTD and SE, were pretty much mobbed and the comments I picked up from just about everybody that was looking at them were very, very posittive. I spoke with one of the Hyundai reps and he said the Turbo was coming out this summer around July and that it would be "around" 250hp. It was a very pat answer so it was clear that he had been briefed on what to say. Nothing on price or mpg numbers.

Read on Inside Line that the Turbo was going to premier at New York auto show next month lends credence to what I heard today.