Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo XC60 Lease Questions

Comments

• CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi fantom. I believe that you're saying the same thing as I did "a selling price of $37,700 ($500 over invoice)." If $37,700 is $500 over invoice, then invoice is $37,200.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
    Hi radoncgs. I believe that Volvo's lease program is scheduled to run through the end of March. Unless it decided to make an unscheduled revision to the program before then, it probably won't get any better. It's difficult to say what it will be like in April.

Car_man
    Host
  • nyc55nyc55 Member Posts: 4
    I am not sure if I was given a good price by the dealer
    This is the car I intend to lease
    Volvo XC60 3.2 FWD 48months w/12,000 per yr, zero down,
    with the options we selected the MSR $32,395 -TMV $31,233

What would you calculate as the pre-tax monthly payment? Do you need a list of the options I selected to calculate this.
  • timmbojtimmboj Member Posts: 123
    Hi Car_Man,

Would you please confirm that the March lease incentives for a 36 month, 15K miles per year are still MF .00112 and 47% Residual?

And also, that 12K miles would result in 48% residual, and 10K miles would result in 49% residual?

As always, thanks Car_Man!
  • autoboy19autoboy19 Member Posts: 155
    timmboj,

The money factor on the 2010 XC-60 T-6 went down to .00094 for 36 months. The residual remains at 47% for 36 months and 15K miles per year. For 36 months and 12K miles per year, the residual would be 49%. For 36 months and 10K miles per year, the residual would be 50%.
  • timmbojtimmboj Member Posts: 123
    Thanks AutoBoy19 !
  • fishymickfishymick Member Posts: 3
    edited March 2010
    I have seen some conflicting money factors for 36mo US Bank leases for 3/2010 on the forum. . .can someone validate the correct one (or just tell me they fluctuate daily if that is the case)?

Dealer is stating xc60T 36mo is .00124
    autoboy19 is stating xc60T 36mo is .00094

I like autoboy19's number better :) Just want to make sure before I call my dealer a liar :)
  • fishymickfishymick Member Posts: 3
    quick update -

Dealer just corrected himself and said that the money factor is indeed .00094 for March

BUT

That residual for 15k was 47%, 12k was 48% and 10k was 49%. I still don't trust them so if anyone con confirm these I would appreciated it.
  • rollingpin8318rollingpin8318 Member Posts: 1
    autoboy19:

New to the forum but could really use your expertise. i see you posted the numbers for xc60 T6 for 36 months. Do you have the figures for 48/60 months leases with 10k miles per year. Would you recommmend anything more than 36 months? :confuse:

Thanks!
    rollingpin8318,

The lease rates for an XC-60 T-6 AWD with 10K miles per year for 48 months are .00144 and 41%. The corresponding values for 60 months are .00159 and 34%. Those residual values assume an adjustment of plus 3% on the residual values compared with 15K miles per year. This used to be the standard adjustment used on U.S. Bank leases, but this may have changed since December when U.S. Bank became the proprietary leasing source for Volvo vehicles. I heard the current adjustment could be only plus 2%, in which case the values I quoted you should each be 1% lower.

In many cases, 36 or (33-39) month leases tend to be the best. The main problem with going 36 months or longer is that most new car warranties don't last that long. (With the exception of some premium brands). Also, most 48 month and longer terms have rather high interest rates and low residuals. However, in the case of Volvo, their current warranty last 5 years, and their money factors for 48 and 60 months are fairly low, even if the residual values are also low. In fact, the lease rates are roughly on par with the 3.49% finance rate that is available for 72 months. Because of this, leasing one of these vehicles for 48 or 60 months could be a good decision.
  • stephlitestephlite Member Posts: 14
    edited March 2010
    This is what a dealer (Internet Sales Mgr) in Pasadena, CA just told me for the 3.2L FWD. It doesn't seem to match anything I have read on this forum. Thoughts anyone?

Residual for 36 months 46% 10,000 miles per year.
    Residual for 48 months 37% 10,000 miles per year.
    Money Factor for 36 months 0.00107
    Money Factor for 48 months 0.00164

Edited to include that this is for a 2010 with addition of Premium and Multi-media packages, plus Metallic paint.
    stephlite,

Those residuals are correct, but the 36 month money factor should be .00077 and the 48 month money factor should be .00134 on an XC-60 3.2 FWD.
    Hi nyc55. I can work up a payment on this vehicle using the prices and terms that you provided us with. According to my calculations, if you were to lease a 2010 Volvo XC60 3.2 FWD that has an MSRP of $32,395 and a selling price of $31,233 through US Bank right now for 48 months with 12,000 miles per year, your zero down, pre-tax monthly payment would be around $452.

Car_man
    Host
    edited March 2010
    Hi fishymick. I believe that US Bank's lease money factor for a 36 month lease of a 2010 XC60 T6 was .00112, but that it was enhanced for March. That's probably the source of the confusion.

Car_man
    Host
  • dan207dan207 Member Posts: 12
    coming out of xc 90 fwd 26000 miles lease (regular volvo maintenance). thinking of either buying out my car or leasing a new xc60 fwd. am not sure if bying my car would make more sence, considering eventual maintenace (brake change, etc.) which is probably very expensive..
    thank you for your suggestions.
    danijela
  • fantomfantom Member Posts: 211
    We came out of an XC90 lease recently for an XC60T after lots of evalution. The 60 is a much better, more modern, fun ride. It is more comfortable, gets better fuel economy and handles much better. 5 years of free maintenance and a 5 year 60,000 mile warranty is frosting on the cake.

The residual on the 90 was $30K and the cap\buy price on the 60 was $38K. VERY easy decision in my opinion.
  • sehparkssehparks Member Posts: 3
    "US Bank's lease money factor for a 36 month lease of a 2010 XC60 T6 was .00112"

Any word on what it is for April? 36 and 48?
    sehparks,

For the month of April, U.S. Bank's base lease rate on a 2010 Volvo XC-60 T-6 for 36 months is .00094. The lease rate for this same vehicle for 48 months is .00143.
    "Residual for 36 months 46% 10,000 miles per year.
    Residual for 48 months 37% 10,000 miles per year. "

Still the same, as stephlite noted on Mar 24, 2010 quoted from Rusnak in Pasadena? I assume this changes depending on what packages the car has?
    edited April 2010
    sehparks,

Yes, the residuals did stay the same from March on all XC-60 trims. The 36 month and 48 month residuals with 10k miles per year on an XC-60 3.2 FWD are still 46% and 37%. These same numbers for a 2010 XC-60 T-6 are actually 49% and 40% respectively. The residuals do not change based on packages or options.
    My car broker found what I was looking for but is saying it is an "old priced unit"-what does that mean and should I be concerned? Has it been returned? sitting on the lot?? accumulating miles?
    sehparks,

Is it an XC-60 T-6? If so, it most likely means that it is an older unit. When Volvo first launched the XC-60 about a year ago, the XC-60 T6 was the only available trim. At launch, Volvo included a no charge panoramic moonroof. When the XC-60 3.2 trim was launched in late summer last year, this free moonroof went away and became a $600 option. The easiest way to be sure is to look at the window sticker or have the dealer show you the invoice. If there is no $600 dollar option for the sunroof listed, it is one of these launch units, meaning it likely landed on the dealer's lot between April and August of 2009. The only thing to be concerned about is how many miles it has. A lot of miles may indicate that it was used as a demo. However, it is also possible that it has almost no miles on it, just that it has been on the lot for some time. Find this out before you you agree to anything. The plus side is that the vehicle is $600 cheaper than a comparable one coming to the lot right now, and the longer time in inventory should warrant a higher discount.
  • sfr102sfr102 Member Posts: 4
    I was wondering if someone can help out and tell me if I should proceed with this lease:
    2010 XC60 3.2 AWD
    10,000 miles
    5 year lease
    MF = .00165
    Resid = .29
    MSRP = 39,545
    selling = 38,045
    dwn pmt = $2,500
    pmt = $560/month

any thoughts appreciated. thx
    sfr102,

Is that the pre-tax payment? The selling price looks pretty good, about $800 over invoice. Depending on competition, you might be able to go a couple hundred bucks lower. Also, the money factor is right in line with the base rate. Are you a current Volvo owner? If so, your selling price should be $500 lower. The only thing that concerns me is the amount due at signing. Do you have a break down of what that includes? It is generally not advised to put cap cost reduction up front. Your out of pocket expenses should be acquisition fee of $695, plus first payment, plus any dealer and registration fees. This seems like it should total around $1600 or so.
  • eichergmeichergm Member Posts: 6
    We have been shopping for the XC60 3.2 with Premium, Multimedia, Climate, Conviene, BLIS & PCC. WE have been quoted $200 under invoice. Is this a good price? We are comparing to the Lexus RX350 and we have been quoted $1400 under invoice on that car. Any thoughts??
  • fantomfantom Member Posts: 211
    Price seems OK, and the XC60 is far superior to the RX350. Suggest you drive both, back to back.
  • dulnevdulnev Member Posts: 652
    Good advice. We drove RX350 as well and thought that the only thing going for it was increased cargo space. Everything else seemed worse than for XC60
    we just started our xc60 lease. car has about 800 miles, base model, black, black cloth monthly lease payment $502 for 60 month, etc. if someone is willing to take over our lease, please let us know.
    where are you located Dan ? If you are in the NY/NJ area, email me @ sfr102@gmail.com
    we are in NY
    I'm interested Dan. Please email me the specifics and pictures We need to get a new lease by the end of July and have been looking at these.

sfr102@gmail.com
    I will send you pictures, as soon as I take them.
    Our xc60 is a base model, no gadgets whatsoever, black on black cloth.
    Dan, are you still interested in someone taking over your lease ? I need to make a decision very soon.
  • raleigh_xcraleigh_xc Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone verify that the acquisition fee for an XC60 (3.2 AWD) is $995. This sounds high, but US Bank won't disclose any numbers. The dealer indicates the acquisition fee and lease rate vary by zip code. The quoted rate is 4.32%. Thanks.
  • sfcharliesfcharlie Member Posts: 402
    Dan and sfr102 ... Is it possible to transfer a lease? I had investigated an Infinity lease transfer a few years ago and couldn't figure out a way to do it. Ended up buying the car and then selling it to a relative who wanted the car. Just wondered if either of you has found a way to actually transfer a lease ... Thanks
    Hi raleigh_xc. I don't think that US Bank's lease program varies by region. Its base acquisition fee for Volvo leases is only $695. The dealer that quoted you $995 is attempting to mark your vehicle's base fee up by $300 to bake additional hidden, back-end profit into your deal.

The last time that I checked, US Banks's buy rate lease money factor for the 2010 XC60 3.2 AWD was .00092. That's equivalent to an interest rate of around 2.2%. It appears as though in addition to marking up your vehicle's acquisition fee, the dealer is trying to mark up its money factor as well.

It wouldn't hurt to comparison shop a little if there are any other Volvo dealers in your area.

Car_man
    Host
  • ckoolckool Member Posts: 86
    Hi Car-Man:

Do you have the latest MF and % of residual of 36 months and 12,000miles/yr lease on XC60 and XC90?

thanks
    ckung,

Which XC-90 are you looking for? R-design, AWD, V8 and for how long?

The XC-60 are as follows:

XC-60 3.2 FWD 36 month residual 43%, money factor .00088
    60 month residual 27%, money factor .00176

XC-60 3.2 AWD 36 month residual 44%, money factor .00092
    60 month residual 27%, money factor .00165

XC-60 T-6 AWD 36 month residual 46%, money factor .00102
    60 month residual 29%, money factor .00169

XC-60 T-6 R-design 36 month residual 45%, money factor .00078
    60 month residual 28%, money factor .00146

Also, base acquisition fee is $695.
    currently leasing xc60 base model, black on black cloth, 2016 miles, $502 monthly lease payment.Turned out the car tis too small for us, we gave it a chanse. Had xc90 before, but lease expired, wanted to try something different, ended up with a much smaller car.
    sfr102, are you still interested in the xc60, if yes I would send you pictures today and our contacts. sorry for the delay, but my husband and I were going back and for with our decision.
    When someone does put down a couple thousand for CCR, is that supposed to lower the residual value. My nephew has a lease offer on a 2010 XC60. The sticker price on this XC60 T6AWD is $41,750. He and his wife are being offered a price of $39,046 (which led to a Gross Capitalized Cost of $39,941). The dealer wants a CCR of $2540. The residual value, after 36 months, would be $20,040.00, The base monthly payment would be $583. Good, bad, okay?
    I think that a downpayment only lowers your monthly payments, but does not change the residual value of the car.
    edited July 2010
    sfcharlie,

Putting money down as cap cost reduction (CCR) does not change the residual. It is also taxed at you local tax rate, and this tax is due up front, not rolled into the monthly payment like the use tax. As a result, it is not recommended to put CCR down on a lease if you can afford the payments without it. Ideally, what you want to pay at signing is 1st payment, dealer fees, title fees, acquisition fee, security deposit ( if there is one), and up front taxes.

As for the deal, one concern I have is with the Gross Capitalized Cost. The difference between the Gross Capitalized Cost and Selling Price is $895. This difference is likely the Acquisition Fee. However, the dealer is marking this fee up by $100 or $200 depending on credit. The base Acquisition Fee is $695 or $795 depending on credit.

A second concern I have is with the Cap Cost Reduction. I want to make sure that this is indeed Cap Cost Reduction and not simply the amount due at signing. If it is indeed Cap Cost Reduction, than this is not a good deal, as there are taking very little off the price of the car. If it is amount due at signing, than it is an okay deal.

In terms of the deal presented, based on my quick calculations, it seems this vehicle should have Climate Package, Panorama Sunroof, Convenience Package, and Child Booster seats, for an MSRP of 41,750. The invoice on this vehicle is $39,596. A better approach would be to say they want no Cap Cost Reduction, with a Gross Capitalized Cost of $40,096, ($500) over invoice. The out of pocket expenses would then be First Month's Payment, Acquistion Fee, Dealer Fees, Upfront Tax and Title.

Under this scenario, the monthly payment is roughly $606, not including tax. The only out of pocket expenses would be the monthly payment, plus above listed fees, with no Cap Cost Reduction.
    edited July 2010
    Thank you autoboy19. The Base Sticker Price is $37,200; Panoramic Roof = $600; Climate Package and Child Booster Seat = $1000; Convenience Package=$1000; Metallic Paint = $550; Personal Car Communicator = $550; Destination Charge = $850 -- for a total Suggested Retail Price of $41,750.

Salesman says buyers are getting the car for $39046 (on the line titled Gross Capitalized Cost, it says the agreed upon value of the car is $39046) --and that discount from sticker is alleged to be the Costco Member Price -- plus an $895 Acquisition Fee = $39941 Total Gross Capitalization Cost.

However, then the $2540.72 CCR is deducted from the GCC of $39941 to yield an Adjusted Capitalized Cost of $37400.28, the amount to actually be used in calculating buyer's base monthly payment.

So, is it still the case that almost all the alleged discount is being paid back in the form of a $2540.72 Capitalized Cost Reduction (which was not broken down in the verbal exchange, but rather bundled into "to cover all the closing costs, first payment, and charges and to to initiate loan with U.S. Bank, U.S. Bank requires you pay $4000 due at signing")?

The Residual (after 36 months) is listed as $20,040
    sfcharlie,

That is correct. What you should say is you want Costco price with no Cap Cost Reduction. You should only pay upfronts at signing, which should be in the $1,500 range. Also, the Acquistion fee should be $695, the dealer is marking it up $200.
    Sorry, I went back and edited post to include:

However, then the $2540.72 CCR is deducted from the GCC of $39941 to yield an Adjusted Capitalized Cost of $37400.28, the amount to actually be used in calculating buyer's base monthly payment.

So, is it still the case that almost all the alleged discount is being paid back in the form of a $2540.72 Capitalized Cost Reduction (which was not broken down in the verbal exchange, but rather bundled into "to cover all the closing costs, first payment, and charges and to to initiate loan with U.S. Bank, U.S. Bank requires you pay $4000 due at signing")?
    ... if the Cap Cost Reduction lowers the monthly payment (just like a down payment does when purchasing a car?) how come no one likes that option?
    Hi sfcharlie. There are two main reasons why most people choose not to make down payments on leases.

One, while a capitalized cost reduction reduces the amount financed on a lease, and in turn the monthly payment, it has absolutely no impact upon a leased vehicle's end-of-term purchase option price. The residual value for a vehicle is exactly the same, regardless of whether one put $5,000 down or nothing down.

Two, consumers who make large down payments on leases risk losing part or all of the money that they put down if their vehicle is totaled in an accident or stolen and never recovered.

Car_man
    Host
    Thank you, Car_Man.
    You're very welcome, sfcharlie.

Car_man
    Host