Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• pat84pat84 Member Posts: 817
    On the use of 265/ 70/17 tires see
     http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html
     The 70 series tires are about 3.4 % larger circumference. than the OEM 17 inch tires. Those tires and more are available in the 16 inch size. The 265 /65/17 and 245/ 70/ 16 are the same.
     I had thought about going to the 16's for the beach. I would think you could run the air at lower than 20 easier with the 16's since they have more sidewall.
  • 69mach169mach1 Member Posts: 60
    I've noticed an awfull lot of road debris accunmulating on the lower inside edge of the rear doors on my 2003 Sport. This area is a part of the cladding of the rear doors that wrap around the fender lip in front of the rear tires. It appears that the rubber gasket that seals this area is inadequate to keep the road debris out.

Also the front fender aprons have holes in them that are not sealed off with body plugs thus allowing road debris in the engine compartment.

Anybody noticed this on their 4-Runners?
    I have the same rear door problem. I think the gasket is in too far and not on the outer edge of the door bottom. I haven't noticed any debris in my engine compartment that I haven't gotten in other vehicles - an occasional dead leaf, etc.
     At least the 4Runner has a little character, collecting mementos in the bottom of the rear doors of where you have been.
  • ladyofluxuryladyofluxury Member Posts: 93
    Well as for my comment about the $10K difference between the 4Runner and RX330, I was just refering to the many different internet quotes I have received for the two models I am interested in. As for all your responses I want to thank you and it's amazing how an individual's personal preference shapes their views on these different vehicles. But like many of you stated when it's all said and done I guess I need to get my behind out there and test drive both back to back and see which one will really fit my personal needs. Thanks again for comments and suggestions, it was extremely helpful!!!
  • bryancosbryancos Member Posts: 282
    Check the accessories board for links and pics... WAAG makes a really nice one, but they run in the $400-500 range.
  • terrafirmaterrafirma Member Posts: 212
    Yes, there is a bigger selection of 16" tires but the selection of 17" tires is good. All the good AT tires come in the correct 17" size for the 4Runner.

Airing down on sand. You get better flotation with a 16" wheel but then again, 15" with equivalent tire gives even better flotation than 16".
    The real question to ask is that for the given application, does the 17" perform all it is asked to do by the majority of owners? I think it does.

When you air down, typically 8-15psi is good. 20 is pretty high for sand. The 17" still gives you great flotation and no problems.

On the 03-04 4Runner, you must carefully select aftermarket wheels. The front brake calipers are big and alot of wheels don't fit.
  • silverjettasilverjetta Member Posts: 35
    I recently purchased a V8 SR5 AWD after testdrove Siena, Highlander (more comparable to 4Runner than RX330), and Pilot. Hope my experience is any help for you.

In this forum, you can see riding comfort of 4Runner has been drawing a lot of attention. Some say fine and some say truckish. Even road reviews in magazines are mixed. Some say better than some car-based SUVs while the other say, "you can definitely tell it's truck-based as soon as you start to drive".

In my opinion, the vice of "truckish" of 4Runner is insignificant in practical situation. It may be a bit firmer than most of cars with soft ride, but it's by no means any level of "uncomfortable". Actually, I found it a very comfortable car for commutation and long-distance driving. Sure, you can feel that it hops more than a car over large bumps but so what? You are not supposed to go fast over the speed reducers. By the way, my Jetta has such a short suspension travel and it easily bottoms out over large bumps unless I go slowly anyway.

On the other hand, I must admit that Pilot was the most reasonable choice for me who use it mostly for commutation and groceries, like you. I didn't like Siena/Highlander (and possibly RX330 because they are all Camri-based) at all. Their handling was so numb and rubbery at the center and the new 3.3L engine had quite coase feeling. As I said, Pilot had everything and was a very good car indeed. However, 4Runner had several important things that won me over. First, the V8 was soooo smooth, quiet, and powerful (sorry I didn't try V6). The 4Runner was the quietest of the bunch and accelaration was by far the best. Second, Pilot seems to me a minivan and 90% of men can't stand driving a minivan (I don't know why). Third, Pilot asked me $1,200 makeup and 4Runner carried $2,500 discount. So, V8 4Runner was less expensive than V6 Pilot!

This was my first truck and its sturdiness was very impressive, which adds extra sense of secureness. All the gadgets like full-time AWD (not on-demand like Pilot), low-range transmission, hill-assist, descending assist, valvestems that transmit air pressure to the car (including the spare tire!), and the full-size spare tire that comes down like an elevator from the bottom of the car, (even though many of them are overquality for me) are simply impressive and make me wonder how they can offer this car at this price. At this point, snow and beach (fishing) are the only activities that may require 4WD and I'm sure that Pilot can deal with most of the situations. Pilot has more space, better mileage, and maybe better ride, but, hey, I fell in love with my 4Runner and love is irrational thing isn't it?
    Your post was very helpful. I, like you, was at first drawn to the Honda Pilot and began antagonizing between the Pilot and 4Runner, however, I just cannot fathom being in a minivan like automobile (many woman can't stand minivan's as well). Not to mention I found the Pilot's ride to be a bit sluggish. Otherwise it did seem like a very capable vehicle. However, in the end the 4Runner's looks and loooooong list of standard safety features won out.
    Then came the RX330, and this was because I LOVE the styling of the RX, not to mention the luxury of a Lexus and like you pointed out I was concerned with the ride quality in a truck-based SUV. HOWEVER, if I can get that same luxury and just as good ride quality for THOUSANDS less in a 4Runner then WHY THE HELL NOT!!!!!
    So, what I'm basically saying is I'm 75/25 split between 4Runner and RX330 respectively, and I guess the deciding factor will really be once I take them for a test drive. I will keep you all posted!!

P.S. Haven't seen much posts on the V6 2WD, any comments on this? I am thinking of a V6 2WD Lmtd with the X-REAS, 6 disc/10 spkr JBL, sunroof and driver/passenger airbags.
  • silverjettasilverjetta Member Posts: 35
    If you have money to consider RX330, why don't you consider V8? With the price difference, you can buy V8 in the limited trim. In my opinion, engine is the most important thing because you use it 100% of the driving!

I bought 3rd raw because once or twice a month I need to do car pool for kids in my neighbor. The emergency 3rd raw was a good thing to have. If you don't need the 3rd raw, you can buy a navigation system with rear view camera.

By the way, 4Runner has more macho appearance and I look twice (in a positive way) if I find a woman driving it. I'm not sure it's a good thing for you or not....

Oh, one more thing. I thought the V6, which is a completely new unit for Toyota, seemed to have an initial reliability problem. You'd better check it. There are many posts regarding V6 in this forum.
  • coranchercorancher Member Posts: 232
    ladyofluxury, the 4Runner drives very well for what it is (a truck at heart), but civility on rough roads is very likely better with a car-based vehicle. This includes "head toss" and kicks from the suspension over bumps and rough roads. I think the only way you can know the truth for you is to do a significant amount of test driving.

Same goes for the V6/V8 decision. I drove both versions multiple times and liked the V6 better overall, regardless of price. The V6 felt more agile, perhaps because it could be operated in 2WD and is 150 lb. lighter in the front end. Acceleration, especially at highway speeds, seemed similar between the two; remember that the V6 has more horsepower and the V8 has more torque. So drive the RX and both of the 4Runners all you want and then decide. For your needs, I don't think you can go wrong.

BTW, the V6 reliability problem appears to be from a TSB/recall related to defective fuel pulsation dampers from the first 6 months of production. The V6 is a brand new (and more complicated) engine mated to a proven automatic transmission. The V8 is a proven engine mated to a brand new (and more complicated) transmission.
  • adp3adp3 Member Posts: 446
    Lady: Seems to me that you'd be much better off in a Volvo XC90 or a Cadillac SRX Don't laugh. Drive the base models. Yes, you'll pay more, but you'll be happier. The truckie ride of the 4Runner can get old, though it's way better than it used to be.
  • kheintz1kheintz1 Member Posts: 213
    For what it's worth, I've received from my various passengers a number of glowing complements concerning the interior comfort and smooth riding characteristics of my V8, AWD 4Runner Ltd. My girlfriend is particularly fond of this vehicle, even after riding in it for nearly 1000 miles over the Thanksgiving holiday, with her two young boys (ages 6 and 8) in the back seat. The boys were quite comfy during this long trip, and the vehicle's 110 volt AC outlet allowed them to more easily enjoy DVD movies on a laptop that we set up in the back seat.

While I can certainly understand your interest in the V6, 2WD version of the Limited, I would urge you to take your time. Before you make your final decision, you ought to consider test driving the V8/5-speed version for a couple of days. I've previously lived for a year in the Virginia Tidewater area, and during that time I can recall plenty of snow and icy road conditions, especially in the late winter and early spring. I'm originally from NE Ohio (the Lake Erie snow belt) and I found that one winter in Virginia to be far from "mild". After all, we're talking about Virginia here, and not a Gulf Coast state. And as you know, at certain other times of the year Virginia certainly sees its share of torrential rains, including hurricanes. Therefore, I would urge you to carefully consider the added versatility, capabilities, and safety afforded by a high quality all-wheel-drive (AWD) SUV.

If you've not previously and extensively driven an SUV, there a few things you should never forget. First, even the best of these vehicles will have a higher center-of-gravity than a car, and probably the most common reason for roll-over accidents is a driver's lack of familiarity, "retraining", and EXPERIENCE with safely handling these vehicles. For example, those of us who grew up driving CARS may instinctively try to steer out of the way of a sudden obstacle in our path by abruptly and sharply steering or jerking the wheel. This maneuver may save one's butt in a low-slung car, but in an SUV it may have catastrophic results. You must learn how to drive these vehicles defensively, safely, and non-aggressively, and this often involves being willing to quickly learn a completely NEW set of driving skills that are unique to SUVs. Also, compared with cars, SUVs are not only more top-heavy, but the more massive models are also quite HEAVY in general. Thus, even if a given SUV has an outstanding brake system and other safety features, it is still a helluva lot of mass moving down the road, and therefore it will take a much LONGER time to slow down or stop than a car would require. Those who would tailgait or drive carelessly with a massive SUV are especially inviting disaster! With these vehicles, one must be constantly and ever more aware of what's always unfolding on the road AHEAD, as well as what's going on behind and around the vehicle from moment to moment. In other words, defensive driving skills are often especially crucial when driving an SUV, and you will need to pay even more "quick" attention to side mirrors and SPOT mirrors, while always checking and re-checking blind spots, even with spot mirrors installed.

It is also wise to keep in mind that while many of the abilities of a high quality SUV can be quite thrilling and impressive (especially during more hazardous conditions) these same attributes can also inspire over-confidence and many of the pitfalls there in. As for the new 4Runner, this vehicle weighs in at nearly 4500 lbs. (depending on options and configurations) and in my opinion this amount of mass requires more than adequate engine power and tractional abilities in order to better "get out of the way of itself" in a pinch. This is only one reason why I personally feel that the V8/5-speed version is preferrable, but this is just my opinion. If you're going to spend this much money for a 4Runner, why not buy a bit more options than you think you will need, since those options may come in handy sooner than you might anticipate? On the other hand, if you "under-specify" the vehicle, you'll be truly stuck and out of luck if you later realize you made some big errors. "Buy in haste, repent at leisure..."
  • likalarlikalar Member Posts: 108
    Both of your choices are great vehicles. Now, I know you're married (and so am I) so the following doesn't matter 2 cents worth, but here I go anyway: A woman driving that Lexus is rather predictable (in Northern CA, they ALWAYS seem to have a woman at the wheel). However, a woman driving the 4Runner is kind of cooler, sexier even, IMO. :-)
    Larry
    P.S...Of course that's not why you're buying this truck. -Just having a little fun, that's all. Good luck.
    I agree with Larry.
    The cool factor of a woman behind the wheel of a 4Runner is definitely there while the woman behind the wheel of a RX is expected.

There is no cool factor in a Honda Pilot! :)
  • kjack100kjack100 Member Posts: 133
    Thank goodness for new blood on here. :--)

Get a white with taupe interior V-8 4x4 Limited with Nav and x-reas for less than the price of an RX330. You will love your wheels. Pilot = minivan. End of story.
    "If you have money to consider RX330, why don't you consider V8? With the price difference, you can buy V8 in the limited trim."

There isn't any reason why I wouldn't consider the V8, my intentions are to test drive the V6 and the V8 to compare the difference in ride quality in each. Since I do not forsee myself towing anything I figured the V6 should be sufficient for my needs. However, once I drive both I will let you all know what I thought of each.
    "BTW, the V6 reliability problem appears to be from a TSB/recall related to defective fuel pulsation dampers from the first 6 months of production. The V6 is a brand new (and more complicated) engine mated to a proven automatic transmission. The V8 is a proven engine mated to a brand new (and more complicated) transmission."

Thanks for the info on this, I had heard of some problems in both the V6 and the V8 and never heard mention of the source or if it was rectified. Also thank you for your input on the V6/V8 difference, and just for clarification am i correct in saying that the 4WD/AWD differs between the V6 and the V8? In the V8 doesn't the vehicle stay in AWD mode at all times? Maybe I need to go to the 4WD/AWD message board to see what folks are saying about that b/c I know that I would want mainly 2WD mode IF I do get the 4WD model.
    "Lady: Seems to me that you'd be much better off in a Volvo XC90 or a Cadillac SRX Don't laugh"

I'm not laughing, I actually was seriously considering the Cadillac SRX, however I've known too many people who paid premium price for a Cadillac, only to get much less than premium reliability in return. And the XC90 is just an ugly vehicle to me :-) No offense! After all my research if I go with car based it has to be RX330, the Pilot WAS in the running before I got to test drive it and seriously thought about paying over $30K for such a plain, minivan looking vehicle, so as for right now it's still 4Runner vs. RX330
    "While I can certainly understand your interest in the V6, 2WD version of the Limited, I would urge you to take your time. Before you make your final decision, you ought to consider test driving the V8/5-speed version for a couple of days. I've previously lived for a year in the Virginia Tidewater area, and during that time I can recall plenty of snow and icy road conditions, especially in the late winter and early spring"

I am carefully considering ALL my options. I have been in "research" mode since 2002 and now going into 2004. I am not one to buy a new vehicle every 2 years (as you may be able to tell from the fact that I'm still driving my 94 Accord that I bought brand new), and so it's extremely important to me that I make a decision I can live with for many years to come. Hence the reason why I've automatically discluded certain models for their proven tracks of unreliability.

As for VA weather, I've been living in VA Beach for only 7 months now and this is my first winter here. We had a good amount of rain during the spring/summer but the rain was 10 times worse in Florida where I previously lived for 11 years. Many of my co-workers, friends etc. who are native to this area has told me that they MIGHT get snow maybe for a day or two during the season and during these days work/schools/bases are shut down because this area is not equipped for snow since they don't receive it often. So from their experiences I decided I MAY NOT need a 4WD/AWD, however only time will tell these things and I certainly have not exclusively ruled out the 4WD/AWD option. I do know however this is the farthest north we will live and I would hate to pay extra for something that I may never use or use only one or two days a year. But I thank you for offering your experience/opinion and if I do go with the 4Runner I will consider ALL my options.

As for driving an SUV, I learned to drive on my father's old Bronco and I don't think anything could be worse than that...lol I am well aware of the difference in driving an SUV over a sedan and trust me I am not the one to try and zip around a steep corner going 85. Actually, I am not even a left hand lane driver lol j/k But seriously, thank you for your comments, I read all of them and take them all into consideration.
    I never really thought of the "cool factor" in owning a 4Runner lol However, I have noticed that ALL the RX's I've seen were driven by women, and all but one 2003-04 4Runner driven by men. Surprisingly thought the Pilots I've seen seem to have a very good mix of men/women drivers, I wonder why that is?

Anyway, I will test drive and let you all know what I finally decide. I'm very picky though so it may take quite a few test drives to make a final decision.

P.S. Why no DVD player in the 4Runner? Anyone had this installed aftermarket?
    The NC Outer Banks are not far from the VA tidewater area. They have authorized beach access points on the Outer banks. You will need a true 4WD vehicle like the 4Runner to take advantage of some legitimate off road experiences. Just a thought.
      BTW ask your friends at work how much snow they got last year. It set a 143 year record in Baltimore for 1 day's snow fall. I believe the whole East Coast had similar records.
  • aroutharouth Member Posts: 45
    Hey, since your spending so much time researching this you might be interested in the offset crash test. It just came out yesterday and the 4runner got a perfect rating in everything.

http://www.hwysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/0309.htm

I think you should get a 4runner.I had a 1997 F-150 and loved it, and seriously considered the 2004 F-150 and several other cars. The 4runner to me seemed to me to be one of the best vehicles out there. I'm a researcher too (spent 10 months researching actually), and this vehicle seems like a winner. It looks good, drives good, gets excellant ratings, is extremely safe, and is just plain cool!

I got a 2004 4WD V8 4Runner Sport on order and it should arrive in February.

Oh and another thing if your going to buy soon I would recomend doing it on December 31. This is according to my friend who used to sell cars. Car dealer's quotas are due at the end of the month, and December is a slow month for car sales so you should be able to get invoice or even a little below.

just my two cents...:)
    Interesting, I had done research on the 4Rrunner for about 2 months. I knew what MSRP and invoice were. Last New Years Eve, I went into my Toyota dealer and asked about a Titanium V-8 Sport on their lot. After a short test drive, I asked what kind of deal I could get. The salesman said "I am going to give you a non negotiable price that is the lowest I can take for it." He then quoted me invoice plus about $250. He gave me more on my trade than I expected. It was $4K more than I owed on it. (I had just got. new transmission put in it and did not trust its reliability). It was such a great deal I took it. I had really only intended to test drive it. I could not turn that deal down.
      I have to admit your friend was right in his advice about when to buy a vehicle. I really do like the 4runner. I have almost 15K miles on it.
    Thanks for the link, it was quite informative. I did not know 4Runner was rated that high for safety. Can't find any rollover resistance stats though. And thanks for the end of the month advice, I have also hear that the last week of the month is the best time to buy. If I can get over my indecisiveness before 2003 ends, I will let you all know!
    True about the record snow, but also if that was a common occurence it wouldn't be a "record". Also, the whole time there was any snow on the ground here they did cancel work/schools. However, I didn't know that bit about the Outer Banks, it isn't too far from here and that definitely interests me. I just can't see myself paying $1K+ upfront, plus whatever extra it may cost to fix or maintain for something I may never use.
    When your 4Runner get's delivered, do you plan on taking it down to the Outer Banks? When and if you do, let me know how that goes!
    I got it last New Years Day and have almost 15K miles on it. A little over 2 weeks in the sand on the Outer Banks. I still have some sand in my carpet.
  • cttoycttoy Member Posts: 5
    Hello there drivers.....I have a question. I just had my 2000 4Runner repaired at a local mechanic. (I've had it w/ Toyota Service). He repaired a TP switch which was malfunctioning. When I touched the gas it took a second for the car to get moving. The day I picked it up I noticed the CD player makes a noise like it is trying to read a CD when I press the gas or if I brake. Doesn't matter if CD is in or out on or off.........drives me nuts. I tried cleaning it several times. I do not want a bill at Toyota and my mechanic is confused about it. Anyone have a suggestion? I appreciate advice on this one.
    ladyofluxury, I think you are correct about the 4WD drivetrains in the V6 and V8 models. If you get the 4WD version of the V6 you could keep it in 4WD mode all the time if you wanted, and that would be the equivalent of the V8. Both the V6 and V8 have low-gear selections (just another position for the knob) for their 4WD modes. The V6 has a 3rd position which is for 2WD.

In all these vehicles the 4WD modes use a center differential, which allows them to be driven in 4WD on all kinds of surfaces, full time. This full-time 4WD is often referred to as AWD, though the term is not completely standardized.

From what you've said, I think you'll be fine with a 2WD vehicle unless you decide to have adventures in sand or significant off-road. All 4Runners have traction and stability control. With 2WD you'll save some weight and I suspect the vehicle will drive just a little bit better. I switch back and forth between 4WD and 2WD and think the driving is better in 2WD, even with the extra weight of the 4WD components. I'm not the only one who has written with this opinion, but some do disagree.

Speaking of driving, these vehicles do just fine in terms of cornering, twisty entrance/exit ramps, lane changing, etc. I get very little body lean, and I don't have the X-REAS shock system. The ride is smooth and quiet, and genuinely sporty for an SUV. The main difference from car-based SUVs will probably be felt on rough roads, where the suspensions are tuned differently. The real question is whether you will like the firmer ride, and the only way to know is to drive different vehicles over the bad stuff. Let us know what you think.
    Ford wasn't on my list to shop. Co-worker just came in a few hours late... Apperantly her 2002 Expedition engine light came on this morning, and died on her soon after... Hmmm this coming from a vehicle bought brand new less than a year ago...
    Thanks alot for that post, that helped alot. Like you said most of these choices seem to be out of personal perference, but when I drive every single 4Runner limited model available..lol And come to a decision I will let you all know.

BTW, went to Lexus dealership with my husband to get his Lex looked at, and of course I sat in the RX330 (didn't want to drive it then because I want to drive both RX and 4Runner back to back). Anyway I could BARELY see out the back sloped windows! lol And when I raised my seat I had trouble touching the gas/brake pedal's comfortably (i'm 5'3 1/2, isn't that average for a woman!..lol). Hmmm... anyway this may sway my decision, but I will let you all know once I try them all.
    Sorry, I guess I misread your post, thought you said you were still waiting for it to be delivered. Hmmm, Outer Banks is not far away from me at all and I still haven't been, but I think that would be ALOT of fun! Don't know if the husband would be up to it though.
    I think Lexus agrees with you about rearward visibility. They have a rear view camera in the RX although I don't know if it's standard or an option.
    I remember when the RX300 came out and I test drove it. I didn't like it because my dog could not fit in the cargo area (the rear hatch was sloped too much). Now the RX330 is sloped MORE than before! But I think it looks alot better now and not as feminine.
  • likalarlikalar Member Posts: 108
    <<...I sat in the RX330...Anyway I could BARELY see out the back sloped windows! ...trouble touching the gas/brake pedal's comfortably (i'm 5'3 1/2, isn't that average for a woman!..lol).>>

Same height as my wife-she used to be 5'4", but that's when I used to be a 6 footer :-) She's nuts about this truck (and normally drives a Subaru Forester), and wants her own keys. Forget it!

You're right, rear visibilty has suffered over the years due to styling and headrests. Luckily, on the Toyota, the rear headrests sit fairly low, and can stay in place when the seat is folded flat. The cargo area still retains a useful shape for hauling boxy objects.

Terrafirma mentioned the severe slope of the Lexus .... Same problem with the new Infinity SUV, and the Murano.... If these things get any more sloped, we'll have to call them hatchbacks. After that, the hatchback will transform further, and we'll have the "new SUV sedan, perfect for the dogless couple that has things delivered". What's that old law? "For every action, there's a complete and opposite reaction". Blame it all on the early Troopers. :-)
    Larry
    Oh too late! They already have it!
    It's the Chrysler station wagon. The roof slopes so much, over half the rear hatch is cut into the roof!
    It's got a huge SUV truck grille stuck on a station wagon body. Those crazy Germans!
    "Same problem with the new Infinity SUV, and the Murano.... If these things get any more sloped, we'll have to call them hatchbacks"

They already look like hatchback wagons to me..lol I sat in a 4Runner and don't recall having a problem with seeing out the back. But like I said before, I will just try and hold my tongue until I test drive both back to back.

Wondering if the Rx330 folks are as convincing as you all are. Maybe I'll start posting there and see what their likes/complaints are. Should've started that already, guess I am just a little biased :-) I saw a Dorado Gold on the road today and that thing was GORGEOUS! PLUS it had a female driver :-) That was the first time I've ever seen that color 03-04 4Runner.
    Anyone have the 10 speaker JBL option? Have read some posts on other boards that stated it wasn't worth the extra money. Any insights would be great!
    I heard alot of that about the JBL speakers. The main complaint was the rearmost speakers weren't loud enough.

I enjoy the system. I think it's a matter of tuning because the system sounds so nice with jazz or music that requires a wide dynamic range.
    With pop or rock cranked, it sounds more like it's coming from the front speakers. It still sounds great.

Read Edmunds stereo review from their 4Runner full test. They rated the JBL system one of the best factory systems out.

I think the JBL is standard on the Limited isn't it?

I'm sure the RX owners will be convincing as it is a great vehicle. It just doesn't have style, ruggedness or sex appeal of the 4Runner and it isn't a real suv. (how's that for a pursuasive owner!)
    One big advantage the 4Runner has over most other vehicles (including all but one other Toyota) is a telescoping steering wheel. It tilts, of course, but that's pretty standard these days. The 4Runners don't have adjustable pedals as some other vehicles do, though.

The telescoping wheel may better allow people of varying height to get comfortable, when combined with seat adjustments. For women, especially, this can be a real issue. For some folks (it's not only height, but leg vs. torso length) it's hard to get close enough to the pedals without getting one's chest too close to the wheel and the airbag. I believe the recommendation is 12"+.

Yet another justification for a thorough test drive and a thorough non-driving session, where you can try out the controls and visibility, etc.
  • vodgutvodgut Member Posts: 162
    I have the JBL unit and I like it quite a bit. I've had my passengers comment on how concert-hall like it sounded. I mainly listen to metal.

As far as the engines, I haven't driven a V6. I fell in love with the V8 right off the bat, during my first test drive. It has such an incredible low-end punch I just couldn't resist it. I don't know if the V6 would have that with the 4 speed and less displacment, but I'm sure it's a good engine with plenty of power.

As for 4WD, offroading is a blast, and I'd want it just for that. Haven't done beaches, there aren't many of those in CO (wonder if they let you drive on the sand dunes in the southern part of the state, though, hmmm....). I've done some trails in the mountains here, and it was definitely a neat experience. I studied up on it quite a bit first, as my 4Runner is my first SUV. Definitely needed the 4WD and low-range for offroad, and so equipped the vehicle is quite good when you leave the pavement. Toyota's driveline is probably pretty reliable, but yes, it is one more thing that could go wrong.

And yes, the Limited version is quite luxurious...
  • aroutharouth Member Posts: 45
    Here are the rest of the crash test results. The rollover rating is 3 which is average for an SUV, and that is without XREAS which helps with body lean.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/NCAP/Cars/2549.html

Here is a review by Consumer Guide if you haven't already read it. The value in class pretty much sums it up.

http://auto.consumerguide.com/auto/new/reviews/full/index.cfm/id/- 37551

"Some rivals offer a smoother ride and sharper on-road handling, but no comparably priced truck-type SUV beats 4Runner for powertrain polish, off-road ability, and overall refinement. And few match its array of standard safety features and traction enhancers, not to mention Toyota's reputation for reliability and high resale value."

Oh and as for the Lexus RX330......its built by the DEVIL!!!! :)
    yeah, overall refinement FOR A TRUCK!!!

the 4Runner ride from Lady's house to the supermarket is going to be world's apart from the ride she gets in the Lexus minivan, I mean SUV.

OK, so the Lexus isn't gonna be great offroad

but Lady isn't going offroad. Maybe she'll drive on the beach. When she deflates her tires, as she should, the Lexus will do everything the 4Runner will do on the beach

the 4Runner will kick it off road, of course of course - but Lady ain't never going off road

Lady should be riding in an SRX, or maybe an XC90, but more likely the RX330 or even a Passat AllMotion Wagon. She'd look sweet stepping out of the wagon. She'l look like a poseur stepping out of the 4 Runner. And her back and neck will hurt from that wonderful trucklike ride.

Lady: If you really like the 4Runner, then ask to rent one for a week. Drive it, then return it and buy a CAR.
    I don't think JBL comes standard with Limited, another one of Toyota's/Lexus' infamous options. I checked my manual and I'm pretty sure it is an option that you have to pay extra for. Since I'm not looking for a whole lot of bass it might do the job for me. Another one of those "opinion" things I suppose.

"I'm sure the RX owners will be convincing as it is a great vehicle. It just doesn't have style, ruggedness or sex appeal of the 4Runner and it isn't a real suv. (how's that for a pursuasive owner!)"

Very persuasive...haven't made it to RX330 board yet, I'm going to take a peak now and see what they have to say ;-)
    You are right... a test drive and thorough inspection of the vehicle will really determine if it's right for me. I've been to two Toyota dealerships and they have been HORRENDOUS in pointing out and explaining the different features of the 4Runner. You all have been WAY more helpful than the both of them combined... Another reason why I haven't made another move on the 4Runner. However, a co-worker put me in contact with an internet manager at a dealership 15 miles away and she has been extremely helpful. Even quoting VERY good prices, so we'll see... I just have to find the time to make my way over there for the test drive and do RX the same day. Without a good salesperson it's hard to make a decision because you aren't fully informed about the features the vehicle has to offer... Shame.. Since when did the salesperson feel as if they don't have to earn your business?
    What comes first... the love of off-roading or the 4Runner?? lol Will I buy a 4Runner and suddenly have the urge to travel the unbeaten path??? Things that make you go hmmmmmm....
    Thanks for those ratings hadn't seen that one yet. Pretty impressive, I wonder if any other SUV actually scored above that average mark for rollover resistence? I have read the consumer guide review and from what I gathered the only other "SUV" that scored higher than the 4Runner in that class was the Pilot.... I have my issues with the Pilot however...lol
    "She'd look sweet stepping out of the wagon. She'l look like a poseur stepping out of the 4 Runner."

I'd look sweet stepping out of anything :-) And why would I look like a poseur stepping out of a 4Runner?
  • tcpoobtcpoob Member Posts: 30
    for the 2005 model 4runner, i've heard from more
    than one people that it reduces the interior height
    considerably - not sure about the '99 model year.
    you have no kids, so you aren't using it to haul them

maybe if you throw some climbing ropes over your shoulder as you get out, someone will think you use it to go offroad

:-)
    ps a buddy of mine has the Limited and loves it

but he does go offroad and does a lot of snow driving

he commutes in it and likes it, but it is a truck

it's not like you'll ever say "this ride is as nice as my Accord"

you may like the ride on a test drive, but the real proof is if you drive it for a few days and still like it. In parking lots, in and out of parking spaces, etc.

Vehicles like the 4Runner are a pain in the behind to drive, but they DO have advantages. But if you don't use those advantages, you may find yourself cursing your decision.

The Lexus is way easier to drive/manuever, as is the Cadillac SRX and any of the sport wagons. I think the XC90 has a nicer ride around town than the 4Runner.