Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Venza New Owners Report

steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
Please report on your experiences driving your new Toyota Venza here.

Thanks!

Comments

• merrelmerrel Member Posts: 45
    Just took delivery of the 2009 Venza 6 cylinder in Golden Umber. Looks like the 2001 Roman Bronze which Jaguar made for one year only. Great color. I mounted my Garmin Nuvi on the dash instead of paying $2750 for a GPS package, etc. One important option which is NOT available from Toyota is 2 memory seats. I miss that badly. Sorry they put 20" tires on this. Michelins are $268 each when you go to replace them. 18" would have been more than sufficient. Car rides great and well appointed interior.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Some photos posted on your CarSpace page would be nice to see.

/hint. :shades:

Congrats on the new ride!
  • imageproimagepro Member Posts: 7
    I have barely 900 miles on my Venza and was hit in the rear bumper on Saturday. I have to admit the Venza is built well. The truck the hit me had its bumper crushed right in. The plastic on the Venza just got scuffed. I looked under the car and there is a very sturdy brace behind the the plastic no damage to that. As for the car I do like it and has plenty of power( I have the V6) there is a bit of wind noise in the front pillars. I ready like the way you get into it. No climbing up or bending down.
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    You should still have it inspected before you settle. Often there can be more hidden damage than you think. Hopefully you made out.
  • deepsouthdeepsouth Member Posts: 30
    Tell me how to post pictures on here and I will; I have some I took with a fish eye lense and they look great. I have them on my desk top and everytime i try to email them it won't let me for some reason. I have a golden Umber v6 fwd, Nav, pano roof, mudgaurds, pack 2, extra tint on side windows,
  • wingrwingr Member Posts: 5
    Why not just upload them to Pbase or Flicker and post the link?

Here's my two-week old;
    http://www.pbase.com/c_kuiphoff/2009_venza
    You can also upload them to your CarSpace page. Either way, you need to have a place to "host" the photos - you can't just email them or post them right in the message here without a URL to link to.

Pic posting instructions are in the Help link below at the bottom right of the page.
  • linnettlinnett Member Posts: 19
    Congratulations on your new Venza! I live in an older community with some roads in need of repair and railroad tracks that must be crossed to run almost any errand. My test drive was not as "cushioned" as I had hoped for. How do you find the "ride" for comfort?
  • wingrwingr Member Posts: 5
    For a Toyota, I was happy to find it pretty compliant and composed with NY/NJ roads. I'm coming from an Audi A6, so I'm used to feeling the road without being unduly impacted. I don't like the typical bouncy SUV or too distant Cadillac isolation.
  • normvenza09normvenza09 Member Posts: 36
    Mine is one month old and I already put in 3000 miles on it. No issues at all. Getting a lot of comments from people on the road and parking lot how nice the car is.

I got the classic silver and premium package 2...
    I really like the way it looks inside and out both. Ok, I probably just need to accept that I live in a place with more bumps per road mile. It was my only complaint about my test drive. I didn't think the blind spot issue was bad since the outside mirrors are so big.

I may get one of these cushions and see if that helps a bit.

http://www.drivingcomfort.com/index.cfm/fa/s/keywords/seat+cushion/sc/33154

Any one ever heard of 5 Star Shine? I'm not likely to be good about washing and waxing even the Venza, so this looks like an interesting idea.

http://www.5starshine.com/

Teflon (I think there may be some in this product) is always a good thing and I plan to keep this car a long time.

I plan on the Premium Package 2 as well. I love the idea of the back up camera in the large Nav Screen!
    I think the Teflon mop & glow packages are gimmicks. I don't even bother waxing my cars - paint's a lot better these days and washing will shine them up nicely. Here's a blast from the past:

tinytoo, "Teflon Paint Sealants Revisited" #1, 9 Jul 2003 12:13 pm

Check out Store Bought Waxes Part II (No Zaino Posts) for lots of suggestions.
  • headclamheadclam Member Posts: 1
    I bought my Venza about two weeks ago after driving an older Chrysler Concorde LXI. The experience has been eye-opening considering all the changes in cars. I love this white Venza 6 cylinder with NAV and moon roofs. Love the Smart Key feature and the storage area I never had before. The interior is quite nice and so many places to store things. The back-up camera is great and auto door feature for the hatch so convenient.

I think the Venza drives smoothly and I am really enjoying my purchase. the place where I bought the car has been so helpful and checks with me weekly to see if there is anything I need from them. I couldn't be happier.
    Thank you Steve!

The last discussion of paint protection was in 2003?

I can just rinse it with clear water when it gets dusty or covered with pollen? Can it just air dry or must I hand dry it?

I'm wondering which paint will look better twelve years out, Blizzard White or the medium blue of Tropical Sea? :blush:
    Headclam,

I'm making my Venza purchase while :) driving a very old Accura sedan. All the bells and whistles (more than an avalon or camry would give me) are a delight to me too. The back up camera in the big Nav screen will be really nice. Between that and the huge outside mirrors I think the rear visualization and blind spot concerns are answered to my satisfaction. :)
    The last discussion of paint protection was in 2003?

The Teflon gimmick is a pretty old fad.

Can't help you on the color - my 12 year old car is red. And my 10 year old one is silver. The paint seems to be holding up fine on both of them. I like white cars, and like the medium blue ones too. Just don't get a black one unless you really enjoy washing and dusting. :shades:
  • david_k1david_k1 Member Posts: 39
    Hey,
    1) Does anyone have a Venza with dealer installed mud flaps ??- I think it is a SE toyota "option".
    2) Any photos of your Venza WITH these installed???
    3) Any supplier that you know of offering these for sale (besides E-Bay)???

Thanks from the Great NW (where we have MUD as well!!)
  • hansonclanhansonclan Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a new Venza yesterday and after getting home I noticed that the rear wheel wells don't have the same black plastic lining that my other cars (or the front wheel wells for that matter) have. There is just a fuzzy grey material - like insulation - and body colored metal.

Could someone please look at their wheel wells and tell me if yours is the same?

Thanks.
  • md_outbackmd_outback Member Posts: 185
    Hey hansonclan,
    Don't worry, nothing is missing. The fuzzy, felt-like material is normal and I've seen the same stuff in a number of vehicles I have owned since about the 2001 model year. My wife's Lexus has the exact same stuff. I think it is used as a sound insulation. My guess is that they don't use it for the front wheel wells because it cannot handle the higher heat from the front brakes and engine compartment. I have not had any problems with the "fuzzy" stuff holding dirt and road grime, but I always hose off the wheel wells whenever I wash my cars.

MD
  • allisonianallisonian Member Posts: 9
    Have my Venza AWD V6 for 2 months/3000 mil. Silky smooth for two weeks. Then Unusual griding/clunk noice with every shifting(P to R or D). Particularly bad in the morning. The noice is getting worse. 3 days ago, the car would not move for more than 2 minute on Reverse when start in the morning. The VSC sign stayed on. Turned off engine/ restarted, the car moved. In the afternoon, the car would not move for more than 15 seconds on Drive, then jumped forward all the sudden. What a let down for this expensive Toyota (traded in a 2000 Avalon).

The Tech confirmed the unusual noice but not the other problem and said that other new Venza also have similar noice issues I knew other venza owners in this forum reported similar problems with the transmission and start up. Manufacture defect?
    Toyota needs to get to the buttom of this.

I do not feel safe driving the Venza with an erractic transmission. I will report back with more info as well as the repair results.
  • normvenza09normvenza09 Member Posts: 36
    not sure why you had to post this 4 times from 4 different forums! You got a lemon car so find the law in your state how to deal with lemons if your dealer could not fix the problem.
  • mommomk59mommomk59 Member Posts: 6
    Past several days, the VSC has been acting up..I end up turning the engine off to reset it. No rhyme nor reason, no special time of day. I called the dealer and he said I could take it in tomorrow to be checked out, but, if it doesn't happen for him, it's really a waste. Wasn't the smartest thing to say to me! He has never heard of this problem before. Is this common for the Venza or is it something I should be concerned about?

Everything else works like a dream..touch wood! I would like to hear what other Venza owners have to say.
    Hi mommomk59,
    You'll need to provide more detail about what "the VSC has been acting up" means exactly. What are the exact symptoms? When does it occur? How often does it occur? Can you repeat it at will or is it random? There is a known "issue" related to the Venza's hill-assist feature turning on when you least expect it. This shows itself with the VSC warning light. Please provide some more info.

MD
    I'm sorry I'm vague, it occurs after it's been sitting for several hours, whether it is on a hill or on a flat surface. This is a random thing, when I say random, I can't repeat it at will, but, it is becoming a daily thing. So far, the only exact sympton is, when I first start the car, that light remains lit, and although I can put it in gear, it remains frozen as the car won't move. I can correct it by turning the engine off and then restarting it again. There doesn't seem to be any other problem that I am aware of just yet, such as engine, transmission, starter. The book isn't much use and I would really like to know more about this problem that I'm dealing with.
    Okay, this sounds exactly like the hill-assist issue that many Venza owners have experienced at one time or another. The hill-assist feature is meant to hold the car still by applying the brakes while in gear and on an inclined surface. But there has been evidence that the hill-assist can kick in for other reasons, such as depressing the brake pedal extra hard while standing still (i.e. at a traffic light). I have had it happen to me when I first start the car, even though my garage floor is about as level a surface as you'll find. Try this if it occurs when you first start the car: Don't push too hard on the brake when you start the Venza (do you have the push-button start?); When you put the vehicle in gear, if you see the VSC light come on, release the brake. If you keep your foot on the brake, the hill assist will think you don't want to move just yet. After releasing the brake, there will be a delay of 2 to 3 seconds (that seems like forever) and then the vehicle should move. If it continues to happen when you are not pressing hard on the brake or you are on a level surface, return to dealer and tell them you read that other Venza owners are seeing some strange happenings related to the hill-assist feature. Maybe they can trace down a possible malfunction. Good luck.

MD
    This is the exact VSC problem that my Venza has. I posted the issues at different forum to raise owner awareness, because very one of us reported the same problem has been told by Toyota rep that they had never heard about such a thing!

I brought my Venza in for a check up. Of course I could not reproduce the same problem. Contrary to your suggestion, the Toyota tech told me to step on the brake as hard as I could when start up.

The identical problem has been reported here by different owners. The fact is only few Venza owners participate in the Edmund forum. The real frequency of the VSC issue should be more common than Toyota would admit, that would be never heard of it.

We need to press Toyota to find a solution. The dealer service said that unless Toyota come up with a solution, nothing could be done.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    All of us now know, have learned, that it often takes a FIRM depression of the brake pedal in order to trip the gear shift release solenoid. Now it appears that that FIRM brake application is triggering the "hill-holder" if you happen to keep the firm pressure on the brake as you start the engine.
  • halwickhalwick Member Posts: 45
    I've got a 4cyl Venza with about 5100 miles and 4 months ownership. I'm pretty much satisfied with the car except for a few annoying rattling noises. Wasn't expecting rattles this early. Anybody know of any TSBs that covers the below problems?

1) I'm hearing a metallic rattling noise from the left front suspension area when driving over uneven, wavy surfaces at freeway speeds. Note: this is on the freeway, not unimproved roads. The noise is noticeable when the wheel is oscillating rapidly up and down rapidly. The dealer tried tightening the upper strut mount bolts but sound is still there.

2) Sometimes hear front inside door panel and dash buzzing under circumstances described above.

3) The 4-cyl engine is noisy during cold startup, almost sounding like a diesel engine clatter. In addition, the engine makes a low-pitch knocking noise that sounds like piston slap. When engine warms up, noise not so noticeable. Anybody else with similar noise issue?

Thanks,
    Hal

Hal
    Repost:
    I've got a 4cyl Venza with about 5100 miles and 4 months ownership. I'm pretty much satisfied with the car except for a few annoying rattling noises. Wasn't expecting rattles this early. Anybody know of any TSBs that covers the below problems?

1) I'm hearing a metallic rattling noise from the left front suspension area when driving over uneven, wavy surfaces at freeway speeds. Note: this is on the freeway, not unimproved roads. The noise is noticeable when the wheel is oscillating rapidly up and down rapidly. The dealer tried tightening the upper strut mount bolts but sound is still there.

2) Sometimes hear front inside door panel and dash buzzing under circumstances described above.

3) The 4-cyl engine is noisy during cold startup, almost sounding like a diesel engine clatter. In addition, the engine makes a low-pitch knocking noise that sounds like piston slap. When engine warms up, noise not so noticeable. Anybody else with similar noise issue?

Thanks,
    Hal
  • bassman20bassman20 Member Posts: 1
    I am scheduled to take delivery tomorrow on a 1009 Toyata Venza V6 and am extremely concerned about your reported transmission problems, Have they been resolved yet and what is the current status of the problem?

Thanks, Bassman10@comcast.net
  • yatrayatra Member Posts: 1
    Any suggestions to fix or comments on why my Venza has bouncy ride? Within first week, dealer checked and replaced defective tire, but ride still bouncy.
    The same old problem appeared again today, the VSC stayed-on during startup and the Venza wouldn't move. Had to restart. It had been good for about two weeks since I have it checked by the dealer who, of course found nothing wrong and asked me to call Toyota, for the fourth time, to request a field rep appointment.

The Brakes/transmission gear griding noises are getting worse and worse, especially if the venza has been under the sun for a while. The technician said that all Venza have those noises, therefore it was NOT a problem, because they were by design. What a logic!

This is the worse $35000 I have ever spent!
  • razorback2razorback2 Member Posts: 2
    Have you had any luck in finding what will allow for a better ride on your Venza? We have recently purchased a Venza, but have found the bumpy ride to be very frustrating. Toyota service suggested smaller wheels and tires, then Toyota Customer Service discouraged that idea. They told me if I wanted a smooth ride, maybe the Avalon would be better.
    Smaller wheels, maybe 16", with the appropriate TALLER sidewall tires would most definitely help.

I don't understand, other than BLING, why suddenly we're seeing such LARGE wheels on so many new models. Maybe wheel "net" cost lower than tires with more rubber...??
  • razorback2razorback2 Member Posts: 2
    Are you aware of anyone that has switched to a smaller wheel and tire size for the Venza? I am interested in hearing if someone has taken that step with results yet?
  • kenymkenym Member Posts: 405
    Maybe it's just me. But if I just spent 30K for a new car. I don't think I would be real happy about spending another $1200 for a set of new tires and wheels just to make it ride better :sick:
  • prigglypriggly Member Posts: 642
    I had been considering a Venza as opposed to a 2010 Outback but the reports of transmission problems and the 20" wheels have put me off.

Why didn't they use smaller wheels and tires???

I do like the fact that you can get HID headlamps, however.
    You should test drive both the Venza I-4 and V-6 and decide for yourself if the wheel size is a reason to look elsewhere. Ride quality is a very subjective thing, so you should really experience it for yourself. My wife's Lexus IS has 17" wheels and rides much more firmly than my Venza with 20-inchers. But it is designed that way. And don't listen to folks who say that the 20" tires are extremely expensive to replace - the Tirerack lists several 20" tires ranging from under $100 to over $200, but there is a reasonable selection. The choices for the I-4's 19" tires, on the other hand, are very limited. I have had more than 5000 trouble free miles from my Venza and I'm very happy with it - and my previous vehicle was a Lexus RX350. Most of the "transmission problems" I've read about are related to the hill-assist feature that may sometimes slightly delay the activation of Reverse or Drive. Once you know it exists, it's no big deal, but it is not really a problem.
  • mervasmervas Member Posts: 8
    I lease a Venza 4 cyl, AWD, great ride, great comfort, so many standard features comparing to other brands I have a little over 1k miles.....BUT ENGINE SOUNDS LIKE A DIESEL...ESPECIALLY IN THE MORNING...SO ANNOYING ....I see that I'm not the only one with this problem. Is this a general complaint for all 4 Cyl? Beside that noise I love the car.
    I got used to it, even though I don't like it. Let's me know the engine is indeed running. The engine block and pistons are all aluminum and the clatter is piston slap. As the engine warms up, the pistons expands and the slap quiets down. I've talked to a couple of dealer technicians at different dealerships and they say it's "normal". Now if the slap continues while the engine is fully warmed up, that's a different story.
  • bobquebecbobquebec Member Posts: 14
    Hi from Laval,Quebec
    Please let me know your general impressions on your cars. If you like the car, are you glad you purchased the car...etc..
    Can you suggest a good dealer, where you purchased your car. I would like to purchase the car in 2010.

Thanks for your help
    Best Regards
    Robert
  • myspringermyspringer Member Posts: 13
    I just bought a new 2009 Venza AWD V6 with Touring package 10 days ago. The computer reading for the current average MPG jumps all over the place 6 mpg 25, 42 90 etc. all within a couple of miles
    There is not problem with the computer showing average MPG.

I went back to the dealer and took out one from the lot and it does the same thing.
    My car was built Sept 24/09.
    Knowing this problem, Toyota should of have this fixed by now!!!!
    Anyone else having this problem.
  • michiganmike1michiganmike1 Member Posts: 14
    I do not believe this is a defect. The current average mpg you refer to is essentially an instanteous reading extrapolating mpg to provide current fuel consumption. This will vary widely based on whether you are accelerating hard or coasting or somewhere in between. The primary use of this feature is to enable the driver to monitor current fuel consumption and modify driving habits to improve fuel economy. If you want to see the display of average mpg over a period of time this can also be selected on the multi-information display as you noted.
  • islandvanislandvan Member Posts: 23
    i know this is obvious but make sure you are on average mpg and not instant mpg. on instant it jumps all over for me as well depending on how i accelerate.

if you are on average i would ask the dealer to inspect it.

good luck
  • myspringermyspringer Member Posts: 13
    Yes, but it should not bounce all over the place if I am on a flat road travelling 30 mph. It goes from 5 mpg 26 18 39 54 85 all within a mile distance on a flat road and AT THE SAME SPEED.

THE DEALERSHIP SAID THAT HAD THE SAME PROBLEM IN SOME OF THE HIGHLANDERS.

tHANKS,

bOB
  • cartalker10cartalker10 Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2009 Toyota Venza of which I purchased in Nov of 2008. I've noticed that the paint has begun to flake around the wheel wells\finder flares, particularly around the rear wheel wells. This it evidence of a poor paint job or poor quality paint used by Toyota. I only have 20,000 miles on the vehicle. I'm wondering if any other Venza owers has noticed this as well.
  • tauny10tauny10 Member Posts: 1
    Your number 3 problem sounds very similar to the noise my Venza makes upon first or cold start up. I took my car in and they said that the car is reving high and then comes back down. Not the noise that I hear. I took video and am taking the car back in to stay overnight so that hopefully they hear what I hear. My brother thinks it may be lifters? I know next to nothing about cars so I am going in blind, but I know this problem just started at the 4 month mark and at about 4300 kms.

Anybody find any solution to this noise? I will let you know what happens at my end.
    So far they say it is normal. Not in my world.
  • goateegoatee Member Posts: 51
    My Ford Edge lease is up in February and had been trouble free. I now have my eye on the Venza. I live in hilly terrain and am concerned that the 4cyl just may be overwhelmed by the weight of the Venza. Also I am hearing excessive noise complaints for the I4. I would appreciate your owner experiences and would you do it over again?
    The Venza I4 will eventually (soon..??) be converted to DFI, so I would wait.
    I actually traded my 2009 Venza in for a 2010 Ford Escape because it didn't do hills very well. It also started shifting into gears roughly and I only had 7000 miles on it. Stick with the Fords. Venza's are beautiful cars though.