Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Cavalier transmission problem?

big_poppabearbig_poppabear Member Posts: 7
2004 Cavalier, 83,000 miles, possible transmission problem?

In the past week my '04 Cavalier seems to shift pretty hard when you first take off at a light. If I slowly press the gas it shifts real hard, if I press down firmly no problems.

What can it be?

Comments

• big_poppabearbig_poppabear Member Posts: 7
    any suggestions? Where do I add transmission fluid, it is not clearly marked like in my GMC Sierra p/u.
  • dirtrackerdirtracker Member Posts: 1
    the tranny's in these cars go out really easily
  • big_poppabearbig_poppabear Member Posts: 7
    Really?

Well i went to my local mechanic and had the transmission flushed. It doesn't shift as hard as it did before but still does everyonce in a while.
  • 33something33something Member Posts: 2
  • 33something33something Member Posts: 2
    My 2000 Cavalier drove fine, but when I stopped it and put it in "Park" the the auto-transmission didn't lock the wheels. Now when I try to start it I get no electrical engagement to the engine. I tried starting the vehicle in "Nuetral" and "Park" but no luck. The dashboard guages respond, but there are no engine noises. Have anyone else experienced this and what was your solution?
  • novadannovadan Member Posts: 2
    I have a 98 cavalier. The transmission coolant line was broken when I bought the car, I fixed that with some pipe fittings and rubber gas line. I filled the transmission with fluid and warmed it up shifted the gears until it was full. I have forward gears 1st,2nd,drive and neutral. No reverse.
  • novadannovadan Member Posts: 2
  • jaljr3jaljr3 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 cavalier, I just replaced the motor mount, the torque strut mount, and the transmission mount. The engine still rocks just as bad as it did before, especially when I shift into drive and when Im driving first to second gear is bad the rest are ok. What am I missing???? Please help
  • bbrookensbbrookens Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1988 Chevy Cavalier Z24. I changed the transmission filter and fluid about a month ago. Also had to replace the front motor mount. The mount was a mess. about 2 weeks ago was driving and the engine began to bog down. Had to give more gas to keep it from bogging out.
    Now, it has park, but all other positions on the selector, reverse, neutral, drive, etc the car goes forward. No reverse.
    Could this be a tranny mount or module?
  • gbassgbass Member Posts: 1
    had a motor put in car transmission was fine now it aint shifting.checked all connections they are good,but the check engine light is on and it is reading shaft sensor,shaft a and shaft b sensor was not getting a signal what could cause this?
  • sugarslinger1sugarslinger1 Member Posts: 2
    I had the same problems with my cav ... check the wires to your starter make sure they are connected. And make sure the bolt that the main bolt to your starter (all of them actually) are tightened. That fixed my problem
  • sugarslinger1sugarslinger1 Member Posts: 2
    Okay I have done everything I can think of, I've cleaned the under the car, replaced hoses. And I still can't find this leak. I
    the dip stick still says there plenty of fulid, it only starts leaking after its shut off and sitting there for about 20-30 min. I do most of my own maintenance on it, and still can't figure out where its comming from. I love this car and its been good to me. Its been driven cost to coast at least 5 times (military moves). I would hate for Jaz (yes I name my cav (2000). Anyway, can someone please provide other thoughts on this issue
  • igarcia909igarcia909 Member Posts: 1
    I have an automatic 1996 Chevy Cavalier. My car turns on and stays on. But it does not drive. I've tried the drive, reverse, 2, 1 and nothing happens. My car just won't drive. What could be the problem?
  • scotttt1970scotttt1970 Member Posts: 4
    Hi I have had a 2000 Chevy Cavalier 2.2 liter 4 cyl Automatic for about 5 or 6 years now. I have noticed the whole time I have owned it, that when I start the car and shift from Park to Drive I hear a clunk, and with the hood open the engine pivots back and forth one time really far and once engaged the engine doesn't shake at all. This only happens from park to drive, it does not do this from park to any other gears, and once the car is in drive everything is normal. The car has no shifting problems at all, no slips or clunking while driving or hitting the gas real fast on take off. I changed the all three mounts on the car yesterday. Upper engine mount (still in decent shape), lower dogbone (tore to hell), and Transmission mount (decent). I really haven't noticed it get any worse over the years I just know its not right. I have never changed the fluid or the filter since I owned the car, and most likely it has never been changed in the cars life. Could a dirty filter, and dirty fluid cause this problem? Or could the linkage need adjusted or replaced? Thanks in advance
  • phanchevy2000phanchevy2000 Member Posts: 1
    any answer on this cuz i have the same problem.
  • asawyerasawyer Member Posts: 1
    Sounds like motor mount. about a 40.00 part. Usually it's the lower one they call a dogbone mount
  • jmatthiasjmatthias Member Posts: 1
    check the trany oil