Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

partial igniton problem

cnjonescnjones Member Posts: 1
edited July 2014 in Subaru
only have spark on half the coil while cranking. when key is released there is faint spark on the other half. spark on 1&2 none on 3&4

Comments

• gwschmidt01gwschmidt01 Member Posts: 1
    1993 Legacy runs rough and stalls at idle. You can pull the plug wire off the number two cylinder and the car runs the same. Pulling off any other plug wires makes the car run much worse. After many diagnostics I finally swapped the plug wires for numbers one and two where they connect to the coil. This now makes the #1 cylinder misfire. It appears the coil at the number two position just does not put out the proper spark for the car to run properly. Has anyone heard of this before?
  • propwash49propwash49 Member Posts: 38
    You said that when you swapped the plug wire from cyl #2 to cyl #1, then cyl #1 started to misfire. If #2 was OK with the #1 plug wire attached to it, it would seem that the problem is not with the #2 coil, but with the plug wire that was originally on cylinder #2. You may only need a new plug wire on #2. With a '93, however, I would go ahead and replace all 4 plug wires. Are the wires you have on now original? If so, they are almost certainly overdue for a change.
  • danutadanuta Member Posts: 1
    I owned a 2003 Subaru Outback. My gas pedal stuck which resulted in an accident that totaled my car. Is this a problem with Subaru cars or was this an isolated event?
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    There is currently a discussion on the Toyota Camry, et all, with a recall and lots of publicity, but nothing on Subaru.

Did a floor mat get stuck on the pedal or something?

Toyota is having dealers zip-tie the mats to the seat frames.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,795
    That sort of thing is pretty isolated on any vehicle, but there are mechanical parts and they can get stuck.

Once, many years ago (probably 24), the accelerator pedal on my Dad's 1980 Subaru GL wagon became stuck. Luckily, there was space on the roadway to avoid the rest of the traffic until he was able to get it unstuck. I am not sure what he did to fix it after the fact (at the time, he frantically pulled up on the pedal with his hand until it finally let loose), but that was the only time we had a problem with it. The whole family was in the car, though. It was pretty crazy; I'll bet we were approaching if not over 100 mph, which was pretty darn fast in that thing.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • cualtzincualtzin Member Posts: 1
    Hello, Danuta

I also have a 2003 Subaru Outback and the gas pedal seemed to have gotten stuck a few days ago. I was driving slowly and turning into a parking space in the parking lot of a small shopping center. As I put on the brake, the car suddenly lurched forward, hit the curb and then jumped up onto a bank of dirt and hit a small tree, scraping off some bark but not otherwise damaging the tree. Total damage is $3000, but the car will survive and no one was hurt. My mechanic found nothing wrong and thinks that the floor mat may have jammed the pedal. (No more floor mats for me, just in case!) My insurance company may send someone out to check out the accelerator pedal.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Let's be glad you're OK.

I believe there were 2 anchors for the mats from the factory, are those still in place? We had an 02 Legacy and I remember it having those.

I would not use floor mats that weren't anchored down.
This discussion has been closed.