Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2010 Mitsubishi Outlander

chelentanochelentano Member Posts: 634
edited October 2014 in Mitsubishi
Mitsubishi made it official, the Outlander GT Protoype revealed at the New York Auto Show will go into production with these changes: a higher ride height to match the typical Outlander, more power for the V6, but you'll lose the vented discs and Brembos. You will be rewarded with the upgraded interior, which also stays for production. Price for the more powerful V6 model with S-AWC is expected to be about $30,000, nicely equipped. And yes, you can expect the new Lancer nose to make its way throughout the rest of the Outlander line.

Link, more images

NEW YORK, April 9, 2009 – Mitsubishi Motors pulled the wraps off its Outlander GT Prototype today, providing clear directional clues into the next generation of the popular Mitsubishi Outlander CUV. The Outlander GT Prototype is loaded with new technology, greater performance, higher fuel efficiency and an aggressive new design. The world debut occurred at the annual New York International Auto Show.
The Outlander GT Prototype features a revised exterior treatment, increased engine output, an advanced S-AWC system, 19-inch OZ Racing wheels, polished aluminum roof, Brembo brakes and the all-new FUSE Handsfree Media Gateway system. A revised interior and freshly added electronic options also help to raise the luxury and comfort levels of the Outlander GT Prototype.

Fresh Exterior Design
The Outlander GT Prototype features a sporty new exterior treatment inspired by Mitsubishi's own Lancer family of automotive products. Designers sought to create a dynamic and athletic presence by utilizing new materials and a wider stance. A "jet fighter" look grille, with design elements from the Lancer Evolution model, has been added to accent the boldly reshaped front bumper, side mirrors, fenders and hood. A byproduct of the new flowing bodylines is a reduction in the coefficient of drag for the Outlander GT Prototype, increasing fuel economy as well as acceleration. Reshaped Bi-Xenon High Intensity Discharge (HID) headlamps also lend an aggressive appearance while a new rear bumper and side sills accent the upscale look.
One show stopping revision is the fully polished treatment on the Outlander GT Prototype's aluminum roof. Standard on all Outlander models and inspired by Mitsubishi racing DNA, the lightweight roof panel lowers the center of gravity and increases the car's handling capability.

More Aggressive Handling
With the Outlander already one of the best handling SUVs on the market, engineers had a great base from which to begin. Slightly lower with the use of a shorter and stiffer suspension, the Outlander GT Prototype lends a menacing and race-bred look with 19-inch OZ Racing wheels and large Brembo brakes.

Super All Wheel Control (S-AWC)
Merging Mitsubishi's experience in off-road and rally racing with production car development, the Outlander GT Prototype features the revolutionary Super All Wheel Control (S-AWC) system. More than just four-wheel drive, S-AWC is a handling system that provides increased handling, traction and stability, while still maintaining maximum fuel economy.

Utilizing a first-in-class active front limited-slip differential and an electronically controlled 4WD coupling, S-AWC can prevent wheel slip between front to rear and side-to-side to enhance tire grip. To the driver of the Outlander GT Prototype, this translates into greater traction through all types of terrain and inclement weather, including ice, snow and rain. By measuring throttle input, wheel speed, engine output, steering angle, gear selection, acceleration and yaw rate and combining that data with input from the Active Stability Control (ASC) and Anti-Lock Brake (ABS) computers, S-AWC can accurately detect driving conditions and adjust accordingly. With S-AWC, the Outlander GT Prototype can turn tighter, find traction and is more stable during cornering, while still returning excellent fuel economy and increased driver feedback. Designed to tackle all variants of road conditions, S-AWC is seamlessly integrated into day-to-day operation, with an ease of use overshadowed only by its ability to deliver passengers safely through all weather situations.

Three selectable S-AWC modes are available on the Outlander GT Prototype, including "Normal", "Snow" and "Traction". Hill Start Assist is also featured, which prevents the vehicle from rolling backwards when starting from a standstill on inclined surfaces.

Increased Engine Output
Improving upon the all-aluminum 3.0-liter SOHC MIVEC V6 currently found in the Outlander XLS, the Outlander GT Prototype features a reduction in intake restriction and an optimization of both camshaft timing and compression ratio for engine efficiency. With these adjustments the maximum engine output for the Outlander GT Prototype has been raised by 10hp, for a total of 230hp, and torque output is available earlier for more practical city driving and improved pickup. The gain in engine efficiency means that the Outlander GT Prototype has improved both in terms of fuel economy and emissions.

Transmission options include a 6-speed Twin Clutch SST transmission. To further increase fuel economy towards four-cylinder engine levels, the Outlander GT Prototype has been fit with a revised shifting program and Idle Neutral Logic, which automatically shifts into neutral during vehicle standstill.

Comments

• chelentanochelentano Member Posts: 634
    FUSE Handsfree Media Gateway
    Enhancing the Outlander GT Prototype's functional use is the addition of the all-new FUSE Handsfree Media Gateway system. Offering greater convenience and reduced distractions, the FUSE Handsfree Media Gateway system combines advanced voice-recognition capabilities with Bluetooth 2.0 enabled hands-free calling and audio playback. With the FUSE system, drivers can experience new levels of entertainment convenience while still retaining the capability to focus fully on the road. Automatic phonebook transfer and multiple phone support are both elements of the FUSE Handsfree Media Gateway system, as well as control of the onboard navigation system, which is equipped with a 40GB hard disk drive for quick point-of-interest lookup. Full iPod and USB music device charging and playback are featured as well for portable music compatibility.

More Comfortable Interior
    Through the addition of quality soft padding and coverings, the Outlander GT Prototype's interior has taken on a more upscale and luxurious feel. Both comfort and image have improved thanks to the addition of grained synthetic leather, double stitching and chrome accents. Borrowing styling cues from the Lancer Evolution, the Outlander GT Prototype is equipped with aluminum "racing style" pedals and a sport-type steering wheel for improved driver feel. The Outlander GT Prototype also features a new high contrast 3.5-inch QVGA LCD instrument meter, which combines multi-color looks with increased detail for visibility and improved "at a glance" viewing of such engine vitals as fuel level, water temperature and gear selection.

Electronic Additions
    The Outlander GT Prototype features a variety of new electronic accessory upgrades. These additional features solidify the Outlander GT Prototype's refined and rich driving experience. The 40GB hard disk drive navigation system is carried over from the Outlander model, although NAVTEQ RDS real time traffic has been added in the Outlander GT Prototype for accurate updates of real-world driving situations. With a 7-inch LCD on board for the navigation display, the Rockford Fosgate in-car entertainment system has been upgraded in the Outlander GT Prototype from 650 watts to 710 watts of power for greater sound detail and quality. A Total Security Alarm System has also been added, which utilizes an accurate ultrasonic wave motion sensor for improved security and detection.
  • sataeisataei Member Posts: 4
    nice look! any idea when will be out?
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    Utilizing a first-in-class active front limited-slip differential and an electronically controlled 4WD coupling, S-AWC can prevent wheel slip between front to rear and side-to-side to enhance tire grip. To the driver of the Outlander GT Prototype, this translates into greater traction through all types of terrain and inclement weather, including ice, snow and rain. By measuring throttle input, wheel speed, engine output, steering angle, gear selection, acceleration and yaw rate and combining that data with input from the Active Stability Control (ASC) and Anti-Lock Brake (ABS) computers, S-AWC can accurately detect driving conditions and adjust accordingly. With S-AWC, the Outlander GT Prototype can turn tighter, find traction and is more stable during cornering, while still returning excellent fuel economy and increased driver feedback. Designed to tackle all variants of road conditions, S-AWC is seamlessly integrated into day-to-day operation, with an ease of use overshadowed only by its ability to deliver passengers safely through all weather situations.

Do you see what you're getting here? It's beyond ESC or Electronic Stability Control, done by using that electronic 4WD coupler and active front limited-slip differential and S-AWC, it greatly helps front to rear and side to side tire stability. For better traction through all types of weather. But look at all of the things it measures, this S-AWC.

By measuring throttle input, wheel speed, engine output, steering angle, gear selection, acceleration and yaw rate and combining that data with input from the Active Stability Control (ASC) and Anti-Lock Brake (ABS) computers, S-AWC can accurately detect driving conditions and adjust accordingly.

This is a very intelligently-made mid-size SUV by Mitsubishi. It would be hard to buy any other carmaker's SUV. Seriously. And with that new world order Lancer nose, it looks spectacular.

And they added 60 watts to the already-beefy RF stereo system that I'm currently enjoying in my '08 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS. If I really wanted to pop myself up above the road again and ride in an SUV, the 2010 Mitsubishi Outlander would be my choice, car nuts.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

my guess: November-December
    "first-in-class active front limited-slip differential and an electronically controlled 4WD coupling"

Cool. I wonder, what other SUV, perhaps representing another class, have that?
    good question. I have not read of this level of sophistication on my other favorite carmaker Kia's Sportage, Sorento or Borrego. But someone would have to go research Kia's SUV's in detail to verify that to be fact.

• piastpiast Member Posts: 269
    I don't think I like this new front end. I does look good and aggressive on Evo, but here it may be too much. If they would keep original one for general public, and add this on Ralliart sporty version, that would probably make sense. Mitsu is not high volume seller, and they should think twice before making changes that may turn some buyers off.
    The new design is more minimalistic (not as busy) and, like you've said, more aggressive which could be attractive for a male buyer. I am not sure though if I like it more or less (the previous design is great), but it's definitely fresh and different from copycat Forester.

Perhaps Mitsubishi is trying to come up with a unified recognizable branding which German cars are known for.

I don't think though Mitsu will be able to make models of the same car with a different body design though.
    going to a brand-wide look, Kia is doing the same thing, if you look at their new models. To be sure on this new face of the Mitsubishi Outlander, I would want to see one up close and personal. Since I own a 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS, I like the new face of Mitsu, and so I can imagine this look being aggressive and empowering on the new Outlander. I think it will work .

I can't wait to see the 2010 Outlander. Also, I read yesterday that the new Mitsubishi Lancer Sportback will come to the U.S., that being in the summer of 2009. That is nice to see, I guess I was under the idea that the Lancer Sportback might not come here. Good decision, Mitsubishi! ;)

• toomanyfumestoomanyfumes Member Posts: 1,019
    I'm not sure I like the new front end either. I think the one they have now looks good, maybe after three years they feel the need to change it up.
    2012 Mustang Premium, 2013 Lincoln MKX Elite, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander.
    that the outgoing face looks good, real good. Again I would need to see the '10 Outlander in person, it gives Outlander a very aggressive and bold front end. Staunch and powerful look, I think it's worth giving it a chance, at least from looking at pictures of it.

• batman47batman47 Member Posts: 606
    Very comprehensive information about the 2010 Outlander GT. If this vehicle is being built I guess is going to be only for the American market. For example in Europe no dealer sell Outlander V6 3.0L at all. The majority of Outlanders are Diesel. Australia sell the V6 3.0L but the nose of the Outlander is different.

I wonder if the GT is going to be an addition to the other Outlander models (2100) in the market, e.g. SE, ES, XLS, etc.

I have also noted that the GT comes with signal mirrors, which is good and most probably all the new 2010 Outlanders will add this type of mirrors.
    i don't think Mitsu could afford making Outlander with 2 different body designs
    chelentano, they need to pick one, and they don't want to confuse people, either. They'll go with this one, look for more pics of the '10 Mitsubishi Outlander. It really is starting to grow on me, it's very aggressive looking, like the front of my '08 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS.

• elgatolocoelgatoloco Member Posts: 92
    I like the new front end. My wife gets beaucoup compliments on our 08 Outlander SE but mostly because of that bright Rally Red paint. A lot of people think it's a Toyota Rav though, because from the side the two vehicles bear a pretty close resemblance.

I think chelentano is correct regarding Mitsubishi creating a "brand" look. Not everyone will like it but it will give the affected vehicle a unique look. Think of the old square Volvo's or the 60s - 70s Saab's. Mitsubishi really needs a brand identity.

I'm assuming that the 4 cylinder models, like I have, will get the new look as well. I like the lines on our 08 but the front end looks a little generic compared to the 2010 model. I can see this new grille on all their models eventually, except that MIEV. That car is plenty unique already.
    will hold to it's "bug eyes" headlamp and front end design look, I think. They've done a great job of giving the all-electric car a unique look, and I don't think they will give it the front-end menacing "jet-fighter" look like the new world order Mitsubishi Lancer/Ralliart/EVO X's have.

But the i-MiEV is not yet built, so Mitsu body designers could still give it that look, it's just I haven't seen it yet in an i-MiEV concept.

Do any of you all worry about Mitsubishi's future in the U.S.? Sure times are tough all around the auto industry, but, I think that Mitsubishi Motors will come through this recession all right. Their products continue to be impressive and very state of the art. I absolutely love my '08 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS, so much so that my next new car purchase front-runner would almost have to be another Mitsubishi. I like the Lancer, Outlander and i-MiEV all enough to consider trading in for new units of any of those three models.

Although, to clarify my position, I only mean one of those vehicles at a time. :shades:

at the new 2010 Mitsubishi Outlander.

I like pics of this new SUV in "action" on the road like this. Striking looking SUV. It's already won me over.

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Kinda has that Darth Vader look going it. Looks grumpy. :shades:
    Looks good. No way anyone is going to mistake this vehicle for a Toyota! Also, is that an aluminum roof up there? Thought I read something about this concept having one of those to cut weight and improve cornering.

About Mitsubishi in the U.S. - I remember a few years ago how the "experts" were saying they were too small a presence to have an impact. Now you read how GM is going to cut like 1200 dealers in the next 3 years, ditto Ford and Chrysler. Everyone is trying to get small.

On top of that I think the confirmation that the MIEV would come to the US market was something the dealers HAD to hear. Sure it's a niche car but in this environment you have to reach for every sales possibility. I'd bet that the dealers would have good luck with the Colt and little i car too. Small pickups are going to be making a comeback as well. If I was a dealer I'd tell Mitsu to bring in as much of their stuff as possible, or build it here. Every car dealer will tell you that the first hurdle to more sales is simply to get the customer to walk in the door and check your stuff out. I'm sure the MIEV will help in that regard. I'm thinking that - despite all the concepts out there - either Mitsubishi or Nissan will be the first to offer a viable electric car in the US and just having one of those on the showroom floor is gonna bring in traffic.

Sure would be neat to see a Colt Ralliart parked right next to it.
  • rcpaxrcpax Member Posts: 580
    "Also, is that an aluminum roof up there? Thought I read something about this concept having one of those to cut weight and improve cornering."

The aluminum roof has already been implemented with the 2nd Gen Outlander, starting with the 07 year model up to present.

despite all the concepts out there - either Mitsubishi or Nissan will be the first to offer a viable electric car in the US and just having one of those on the showroom floor is gonna bring in traffic.

Well, Tesla is here, but it's for CEOs and millionaires, not for the masses. I believe Mitsubishi will be the true global leader with their i-MiEV. And they have been in partnership with various national and commercial electric grids in various parts of the world to test the viability of the i-MiEV in their respective regions (UK, AU, NZ, MC, JP, US to name a few) . I think the first commercial i-MiEV will launch in Japan sometime this year. And definitely US is one market Mitsubishi is focusing at. I just hope that the Normal IL plant gets to build EVs so as to help the US Economy while establishing their market presence here.

I remember a few years ago how the "experts" were saying they were too small a presence to have an impact.

I think the EV market will be a game changer for Mitsubishi. And all the years of research will eventually pay off. They have skipped the Hybrid models because they knew that EV is the future.
    Absolutely right about Tesla ( I admit they completely slipped my mind when I posted ) Apparently they have a good product but price is somewhere on the far side of $100,000.

I have read quite a bit about the MIEV being tested in world markets. They started in Japan about two years ago and in California sometime last summer so naturally they want to get a realistic picture of the battery capabilities. I don't know if the Nissan prototype ( I think it's a Cube ) has had as much drive-time as the MIEV but I doubt they would put it up for sale unless they were pretty confident of its performance. There's some outfit with another EV from Denmark also hanging out in Oregon right now. Pretty sure their products name is "The Think".

Don't know what the product plans for the Mitsubishi plant in Illinois are but I know they fought pretty hard the last couple of years to hold onto it. Only production plant in North America they have so I think it would make sense to build some updated models there, to avoid import tariffs at the very least. I'm sure that the North American Dealers would like to keep prices as low and competitive as possible. In fact, I recently read somewhere that Nissan was considering building their EV at their plant in Smyrna Tennessee. Building products in the same country where you plan to sell them might be the ultimate cliche in advertising gimmicks, but it sure works.
    enjoying the discussion on the 2010 Mitsubishi i-MiEV on here. I own a 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS and it is bar none the coolest and funnest car I have owned. The bodystyle of the '08 Lancer GTS and the 1965 Ford Mustang are my two favorite car bodystyles of all time, any era and timeframe. The car just rocks.

I also had a change of thinking direction about a year and a half ago. I want an all-electric car, and I see no reason why Mitsubishi shouldn't get my business. I have seen one from a collaboration of two European Company's, called Pininfarina-Bollore, called the BlueCar, that looks interesting. They use a Lithium Metal Polymer battery, claim that test mules have gone 120,000 km's with no problems and no maintenance. The car goes 85 mph top speed(electronically-limited) and has a range of 153 miles. Takes approximately 8 hours to charge up and, of course, P-B is offering a "quick-charge" unit that will charge your BlueCar back up to 80% capacity in about a half hour. I don't have a definite price, but the car will cost somewhere in the $24,000 area. Pininfarina-Bollore is sending some BlueCars to the U.S. in 2009 to three test markets, one being Los Angeles. The main real shipments of this car will come to America in 2010. P-F is serious about this, in claiming that the 2010 BlueCar is not a concept but a true production car. Will it pass all of the safety/crash tests, though? A real question to ponder, but I would love to head the 558 miles west of me here in SE Arizona and go to the L.A. test sampling. I am interested in the car.

Further, to say I am interested in a Chinese car might ruffle some feathers. But I am! :P It is made by BYD(which stands for Build Your Dreams) and is named the e6. It is a crossover that seats 7, goes 99 mph, 0-60 in 8 seconds, weighs around 4,400 pounds, and, here's the pull-point for me, it has a range of 249 miles. With BYD it is Fe(Iron)batteries. I did read earlier today that BYD is deciding to work with VW on knowledge-sharing on these battery systems. I don't know what that might mean regarding BYD and any particular trouble they may be having inegrating their batteries in to their automobiles, but it must mean something. BYD has promised to bring the BYD to the U.S. in 2010 as a 2011 model. Lookit here, we're already up to just about May of 2009, that time will move very quickly.

The 2011 BYD e6 is going to cost around $28,000 in USD, but both it and the 2010 Pininfarina-Bollore BlueCar's are subject to BO's "green car" rebates of $7,500. So we'll have to stay tuned as far as pricing goes. And another possible sticking point with me are Warranties(or lack thereof)supporting these new all-electrics.

That is something that Mitsu as well as Pininfarina-Bollore and BYD, Think!, etc., are all going to be fighting. The public is not going to immediately embrace this new technology. But large kudos go to Mitsubishi for realizing that hybrids are not the answer for our automotive futures. Hybrids just seem to me to be an expensive alternative to "crutching" along ICE vehicles.

While I think that straight-up EV's might eventually rule the roost it would be quite awhile before medium and large vehicles were as capable as the lightweight versions like the MiEV.

I'd like to see Mitsubishi developing plug-in hybrid technology as well. That type of system would really work well on the Lancers, Outlanders, Pajero's etc..
    yep, if it was Mitsubishi developing the hybrid I would be all eyes and ears. But Mitsubishi wants to head in the all-EV direction, for now. I would think they are still in the development stage overall for "green" vehicles. Things could change as far as propulsion methods quite a bit in the next couple a years, huh? I think it's a good direction to get off of ICE-driven vehicles ASAP.

• psychogunpsychogun Member Posts: 129
    Actually, Mitsubishi will be selling a plug-in hybrid electric. Unfortunately don't expect it before 2012... :sick:
    However, watch out for a concept that will showcase their plug-in hybrid technology this fall at the Tokyo Motor Show. Rumors have it, that it will be based on the Concept cX from a few years back.

BTW, we're getting a bit off topic here... :P
    Mitsubishi Japan also built Outlanders for the European market. Citroen and Peugeot modifies the nose of the Outlander and add Diesel engines.

imageSee more Car Pictures at CarSpace.com

Although the nose of the 4007 is not exactly of the 2010 Outlander it has a resemblance.
    Yea, I've seen these in Paris. They look real nice
    Does someone have any idea/information when this 2010 Outlander will be sold in the US?
    November-December 2010
  • fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459
    Any update on a target release date for the '10? Nov-Dec '09 is a bit far off for me (let alone Nov-Dec '10 as posted). I'm getting into the market for a new car now, and my wife & I both like the '09 Outlander XLS. But with the potential for more engine power (better low end torque would be nice) and better fuel economy, I would prefer the '10 to the '09. I can handle the styling and my wife probably could.
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
  • psychogunpsychogun Member Posts: 129
    chelentano may have made a small typo. He probably meant Nov-Dec '09.
    I would say that October '09 would be the very earliest.
    yes, typo. Nov-Dec 09 prediction is based on last year's new Outlander model availability and I think it's as late as it gets for 2010 model, but in theory could be anytime sooner. Look, the new MB GLK and Lexus RX 2010 are already available since February - March.
    Yeah, the whole model year designation is getting fuzzier every year. Not that "there outta be a law" but it would be nice if automakers would grant the .5 designation to new/updated models released in the first half of the year. The MB & RX you cited, for instance, really ought to be 2009.5 models with the 2010 models to be released no earlier than July '09. After all, if the new model year cycle keeps running at under 12 months, pretty soon we'll be skipping a year and the 2013 models will be released in 2011.

Speaking of, I've seen a few GLKs on the road and they really look sharp. Almost makes me want to go Euro for my next ride. But then I go to price one ..

Anyway, back to the Outlander. Thanks for the feedback. I'll show the pics of the revised model to my wife & see if she wants to wait. I'm borderline and think that while I really like the Lancer look I'm not 100% sure how well it's translating into the Outlander. But the idea of better power & fuel efficiency and the other updates has me wanting to wait.

For comparison purposes, we'll be test driving a Santa Fe later today. It's one of the few alternatives we've found that hit our price and comfort range.
    Hi,
    May I ask you to confirm the launch date of the new Outlander with the new nose and the S-AWD system? Edmunds.com says that this new Outlander will be in the USA for sale next year. However a Mitsubishi dealer in California told me that he could get me the new Outlander in October/November this year. Who are right, Edmunds or you and the dealer? I have already sold my previous 2008 Outlander to my son, so now I am in the market to buy a new AWD vehicle.
    A quick update on my last post: My wife didn't care for the revised looks of the new Outlander so if we go that route it'll be an '09 and not a '10. I'm mildly disappointed as I'd like the '10's improvements but can live with the '09. I do prefer the '09's style but could have easily lived with the '10's looks as well.

We drive the Santa Fe yesterday and it was fine. Not inspiring but fine. I'd actually like to see the Hyundai 3.3V6 in the Outlander; it did have a better off-the-line response (obviously more low-end torque). But beyond that the drive was boring. The suspension was OK but the Outie seemed to handle poor road surfaces better. The interior was clean but bland. For some reason the cupholders were more noticeable than I would care for. Feature-wise, it looked like the SF has more cargo area but the Outlander uses it better; i.e. fold-flat seats and the split hatch for long, flat items. SF 2nd row seats recline but do not move fore/aft. The Outlander also has more gadgets :) and the killer RF stereo.

Also, a quick kudos to the Hyundai dealer for, like the Mitsu dealer, being no-pressure and reasonable to work with. The sales guy had us drive their test pattern v. just letting me go where I wanted (which the Mitsu guy did) but that's the only deterrent. And Hyundai doesn't print brochures anymore which, while I can applaud the effort for eco reasons, I'd rather have it to use while comparing models.

In the end I'm rating the Outlander an 85 of 100 and the SF a 72. The Outlander is our current benchmark against which we'll put any other vehicles we test drive.
    Sorry, my date is just a prediction/guess based on previous year, but your dealer's date sounds right.
    Yes, Santa Fe's engine is little more powerful, but the SF is little heavier too, therefor it's not quicker since power-to-weight ratio is probably a wash. But were Outie wins in driving department is smoother 6-speed tranny (with Idle Neutral Logic and paddle shifter toy), exciting sharp handling, better 3-mode AWD (even further improved S-AWC in 2010 model), 19-inch OZ Racing wheels and large Brembo brakes. Santa Fe can't beat that.

Also the Outlander has much better reliability rating according CR:
    http://s215240594.onlinehome.us/CR2008_smallsuv.gif

Santa Fe:
    http://s215240594.onlinehome.us/CR2008_midsizesuv.gif
  • toomanyfumestoomanyfumes Member Posts: 1,019
    You're impression of the Santa Fe is similar to mine. A competent, but uninspiring vehicle. My sister in law has a Santa Fe Limited, and it is nice, but I still prefer my Outlander. One thing the Hyundai dealer by me did, is find only top-of-the-line vehicles to test drive. We were looking for a small sedan last year, and drove base 4 cyl. Accord, Galant, and Fusion. All the Hyundai dealer had to drive was a loaded Limited V6. It fooled my wife, she thought it was much nicer. "Yeah, but." kinda apples to oranges.

I'm kinda warming to the new front end on the Outlander, but I'm keeping my '07 for a long time.
    2012 Mustang Premium, 2013 Lincoln MKX Elite, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander.
    Will all the Outlander trims (e.g. SE, XLS, etc) have the new nose or just the 2010 Outlander GT?
    Can't say for sure but I'd imagine all Outlanders will get the new schnoz. It's rare for a manufacturer to offer a model with significantly different noses. Generally all you see are things like grill color (black/chrome) and fog light treatments.

BTW based on the pictures my wife doesn't care for the revised look. But I'm holding out for it anyway. More for the powertrain improvements than anything else. And because CARS has temporarily driven prices up and me out of the market as my Galant is not a clunker.
    Dealers are collecting deposit to order the new 2010 Outlander GT. I sent a $1000 to a dealer who promised me to get the car in November this year.
    Wow, what kind of configuration/pricing have you ordered?
    What does the dealer say weather all Outlanders will have new nose, or just GT?
    He said that all the Outlander trim will have the new nose, i.e. ES, SE, XLS and the GT.

I asked the 2010 Outlander GT with the 3-main packages i.e. Navigation, Luxury, and the Sun & Sound. I have also requested the Protection accessory package.

You may approach your local Mitsubishi dealer to ask for one. As far as I know dealers in the US had until 17th August to order the new 2010 Outlander.

I think dealers don't want to talk about the 2010 Outlander because they have in stock a considerable number of 2009 Outlander. The dealer I am talking about just sold all the 2009 Outlander and he will not order anyone moren 2009 Outlanders.
  • dela555dela555 Member Posts: 1
    I live in Canada, and I am torn between getting a 2009 Outlander (for which it appears there are great deals) and waiting for the 2010 model (which a couple of dealers have informed me will be available in October). Other than pictures showing that the front grill is very different (which I imagine will affect the resale value of my 2009), I do not know anything else that is supposed to be different (1 dealer swore nothing will be different till I asked him to google photos of the 2010 and then he claimed only the grill will be different!).

Anyone with information on what else will be different, and also the pricing issue, will be well appreciated.

Also, I saw in a different part of the forum that 2007s had a problem with the heating system in extremely cold weather. Does anyone with 2009 model have problems with that? I can't have a cold car in the middle of winter where i live!

Many thanks.
    Go to:

http://media.mitsubishicars.com/detail?mid=MIT2009040932710&mime=ASC

Usually people working in the dealership don’t know about details of new cars other than the dealership manager itself. The less the salesmen know about the new model the best for the dealership owner. In summary perhaps the trim ES, SE, XLS may be the same as the model 2009. But if you order a 2010 Outlander GT then this is practically another animal. You may download file from the above name link to know exactly the difference between the 2009 Outlander (any trim) and the 2010 Outlander GT.
    I have serious doubts as it is announced that the Outlander GT will have 19-inch OZ Racing wheels and large Brembo brakes.. I think these wheels were used just for the New York car shown. Presently the standard tire size is 225/55R18 in the XLS. There isn’t 225/55R19 in the market so I assume that the car will come with 225/45R19 witch will drop its 8.5” ground clearance to perhaps 7.5” (similar to the RAV4). Brembo brakes and OZ off road wheels may be but perhaps as an option. Real 2010 Outlander GT may be depart from what it was inform to us from the New York Outlander. I don’t know when my 2010 Outlander GT arrives to my dealership it will be a nice surprise or a disappointment.
    I don’t think that Mitsubishi Motors will use stock tires from Korean (Kumho). Most probably the side of the tires will be 225/45R19 Goodyear or Pirelli.
    Mitsubishi Lancer GTS. They weren't the best tires overall...at the 30,000 mile mark they needed to replaced. In Dec. of 2008 I bought Pirelli P-Zero Nero M+S P215 45R18 tires for my Lancer GTS. Love these new Pirelli's, handling and road feel and confidence are all very, very good with these tires.

This discussion has been closed.