Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Kia Sorento

Comments

• 5gs5gs Member Posts: 1
    I've been looking at the Sorento SX AWD. I really like the look and the way it drives.

The one area that concerns me is getting in/out of the 3rd row seat. I have small kids (8 yrs old) that would need to sit in the 3rd row. Moving the 2nd row seat up and down manually might be a bit much for an 8 yr old.

Any thoughts/experience with this?
    Also would be nice to have a remote power option for the lift gate.
  • mtnman1mtnman1 Member Posts: 431
    I strongly recommend you avoid the Sorento if you intend to use the third row much. I have an EX and the third row is totally useless in my opinion. Even in the 2004 Mountaineer I had, the third row was only good for a short trip and it was at least a foot longer. I would have prefered that they left the third row as an option for the V6 because I think putting it in a vehicle this small is a joke. I would seriously consider a Mini Van or something like a Chevy traverse/GMC Acadia instead. These vehicles are much more family friendly.
    2012 Highlander Limited AWD V6 and 2015 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE
  • forestgrumpforestgrump Member Posts: 3
    We will have a good week for further testing as we are expected to get up to 2 feet of snow by Sat. We are having a beautiful snow now and I will be going down and up the back way tomorrow to the doctors from 7,000' to about 3,000' with its's 16% grades. The Sorento has Kumho M/S tires which I liked on the Honda.

I have about 250,000 miles experience driving in snow from northern Michigan oilfields to the Arctic under pretty hazardous conditions. Tire stopping ability has a lot to do with the rubber compound used in the tire and not losing traction in the first place. The Blizzack tire has great traction and stopping but tread life is awful.

I live in Big Bear Lake, CA in the San Bernardino mountains. Since we are a four season resort we get our far share of idiots up here, flatlanders. I also teach off roading on the world class back diamond trails up here. Black Diamond trails are those that require a heavily modified vehicle with at least 4 to 6' of lift, lockers, 33'+ tires etc. Even then some damage is to be expected. Doing Gold Mt. after a foot of snow is quite a trip - in my 1990 Jeep.

We will see how I do this week and I will give a report and compare it to several 4x4 Ford F-250's, 4x4 Blazer, 4x4 Yukon, $x4 F250 Diesel, Honda CRV AWD and Ford AWD Escapes (which suck even with Goodyears best AT tire).
  • simon48simon48 Member Posts: 1
    I bought the 2011 Kia Sorento SX. It quit on me WHILE DRIVING with only 300 miles on it. Roadside assistance was of little help as they didn't have me in their computer. Service said the battery was run down. Next, the dashboard, doors and right rear end started rattling . I took it in and the AFTER MARKET tow bar that they installed was hitting the muffler, They said they fixed it. Driving home the dashboard started rattling again. I decided to wait a couple weeks to see what else was going to happen. Next, at times when I made a sharp left hand turn the underneath would make loud clunking noises. In addition, when I accelerate and move out into traffic many times the car will hesitate..nothing happens, then I try and give it more gas and it lunges forward at a high speed. The car rides rough with a lot of wind/road noise and and is not enjoyable to drive. On rough roads, parts underneath the car hit one another (probably my aftermarket tow bar hitting anything in its vicinity.) I don't like the weak sounding power windows, they whine in motion. All in all, I'm very dissatisfied. I wanted to buy American but Kia has destroyed my loyalty. Who tests these cars anyway? Kia, make better products and they will be easier to stand behind. What good is a warranty when you have the inconvenience of constant repairs. The thrill of having a new car was totally missed. My condolences to others in my position.
  • onefunkaronefunkar Member Posts: 113
    sorry to hear youre having so many problems. i know its not much fun. luckily mine has been great so far. also kia isnt an american car. assembled in georgia by a korean company with a small percentage of north american parts.
  • karchkarch Member Posts: 45
    Which dealer, can I ask? There are so few out here.
  • califasramsfancalifasramsfan Member Posts: 31
    Kia Depot, Santa Ana. Watch out for the financing they insist you take.
    Also, they tried adding another $499 and called it dealer prep. What? They hadn't even washed the car when we test drove it. I had a trade and made them give me $400 dollars more for my trade.
  • dann0dann0 Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2011
    Simon, did you even test drive the car? Some of the things you are complaining about are things anyone would have noticed immediately when test driving. How did this escape your detection until after you purchased the car?

If you only have 300 miles on the vehicle, then it's highly likely the issues you are reporting were present from the start and did not suddenly appear a short time later.
  • mjbuppmjbupp Member Posts: 1
    Interesting... we have a Sorento SX V6 AWD. It is BY FAR the best handling vehicle in the snow we've ever had. And we live in the snow belt in upstate New York. 18 Kumho low rolling resistance tires. And I'm not talking just about accelerating. Cornering, stopping, best ever.
    edited April 2011
    I saw on a Kia website where the latest version of the Sorento will have Heated/Cooled front seats and Heated Passenger seats as available options. If I had only waited another year before I bought my EX. Since purchasing they added the SX and now the above options which would be excellent when it's 95 degrees with my black leather seats and having heated passenger seats would be great. The SX is beautiful though I still think my EX is good looking. The SX looks better in one color without the black cladding and the front and back ends look better than the EX. Plus I read somewhere where Kia did some fine tuning on the suspension so the ride wasn't so harsh over bumps. I guess it's the risk you take when you buy a total redesign in it's first edition.
    Upon checking this site closer I found that I was viewing the Kia International site. Also available for overseas are brown leather seats. Hopefully they make some of these items available in the states.
  • trunytruny Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2011
    red57, I see it's been awhile since your post so I am wondering if you ever ended up having the sunroof installed after-market? I am thinking about purchasing a 2011 Sorento and I also do not want the V6 so my only option would be to have one installed after-market. I have found this to be a bit more expensive than having a factory installed sunroof on other vehicles (equinox and terrain) that I am considering, so I am wondering if you had it installed and if so, if you have had any issues with it or would recommend it.
  • djruss84djruss84 Member Posts: 2
    I feel your pain. My engine blew up with less than 1000 miles on it over christmas none the less. I was without my car for over a month!!! I will never buy another kia. My SX is now beginning to fall apart with just over 3000 miles on it. All the little parts are beginning to break. My suggestion to anyone is to stay away from Kia.
  • antons911antons911 Member Posts: 66
    Hello,

does any one know why the Sorento in Europe offers side curtain for third row but not in US. Any idea if it will be offered in 2012 models?

Thanks.
  • stratg6stratg6 Member Posts: 1
    at the top of the passengers side hood in front of the wiper blade their is rust coming thru the surface along the ridgelinethe dealer says it is due to stone chips but no sign of damage of chipping or denting elsewhere
  • toshietoshie Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a new Kia Sorento and with only 200 miles on it it just quit while on the freeway. Towed it to the dealed and they say that there is nothing wrong. They have checked everything electrical and found nothing. Any suggestions?
  • jerry158jerry158 Member Posts: 5
    Being produced in GA, shipped and sold at a number of dealers now.

Changes include an optional 2.4L TDI I4 (191 HP and 34 mpg), power pass seat, heated steering wheel, Memory drivers seat and mirror position, power folding mirrors, hyper finish 18" alloy wheels, UVO infotainment system, YES seat fabric, cooleed drivers seat, No spicy red or Pacific Blue colors.

When will KIA announce this change on their websites????????????
  • mc111mc111 Member Posts: 2
    Bought the 2011 Kia Sorento EX 4 cyl w/ push start Feb 2010 for my wife. She has about 20k miles on it now. She called me at midnight after work to let me know it would not start. AAA towed it to dealer next day, they looked at it and diagnosed the problem as a bad switch connected to the brake pedal. The good news is Kia has developed a new part to fix this problem, the bad news is the part is in Korea. Will be here sometime next week when the ship comes to port. Disappointing Kia would NOT provide a loaner but only a $20/day rental with the dealer logo all over the car. This is 3rd major repair on this vehicle after 2 previous recalls (1 for electrical, 2 for transmission). I'm on the fence with this car. I NEVER had these type problems with a TOYOTA. Looking for a used Toyota to dump this thing. Have you ever heard "you get what you pay for"? I got a Kia.
  • cannon3cannon3 Member Posts: 296
    Kia misleading ad..

Opened up my paper to find a full page ad for the Kia Sorento. In one point is states "Built in the USA"*. Notice the asterix. Read the fine print. "Assembled with foreign and domestic parts". Doesn't say how much is forgien nor domestic..
    Kia Sorento "assembled" in the U.S. not "built". There is a very big difference.
    This just to educate those who think this vehicle is fully made in the USA and trying to purchase made in USA products.
  • mc111mc111 Member Posts: 2
    you are absolutely correct. If it's of any value, the dealer did call today to let me know the rental was on the house while we waited for the part to arrive from Korea. he also said the part was being expedited and could possibly arrive as early as today. The repair is anticipated to only take an hour or less so I may have my car back in time to go car shopping this evening. Awesome.
  • sorrento11sorrento11 Member Posts: 2
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    I cant name one car fully built in the USA to include any of the big three....most if not all have some parts from outside the US.....I would venture to say most cars are assembled in this country per your definition and that there isnt a %100 truly built in the US car these days....
  • kmforestkmforest Member Posts: 1
    I also have the 2011 Sorento with push button ignition. I have thoroughly enjoyed this car....until today. I am a home health provider and drive 35-100 miles/day in this car. Well, today while 35 miles away from my home, the car would not start! My husband drove out to assist because he simply could not believe that the Kia was malfunctioning (likely thinking I did something). Well, he got the car to start by pushing really hard on the brake pedal, but the car would not shift into gear. Had to call for a tow. Ordeal took more than 3 hours. I was unable to work the remainder of the day. We have not been given a diagnosis as of yet but were told that they do not provide loaners.

I hope this problem is resolved soon. The Sorento has really spoiled me with its features. I love this car and hope that I do not have a lemon. I purchased the car used with 17K miles. The tow truck operator stated that the car appears to have been towed before.
  • marcosedralinmarcosedralin Member Posts: 1
    I have a similar problem since the first day I bought it. Two times I went to the dealership to complain about it same response they say everything is tight. Anyway how about your's? Is it fix now? What's the best thing to do? Any tips?
    it seems like a few are having problems with push button start. luckily mines been fine. i think many dont know that you can probably still start the car if it doesnt work. if it is a problem with brake pedal or switch push button twice with foot off the brake, this will put car in acc mode. then hold down button for 10 seconds. car should start. if it is from a weak battery or fob problem put key fob in fob holder in console. car should then start normally....
  • linda3909linda3909 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased my 2011 in March 2010. Loved my car. BUT with less than 10,000 miles, problems.
    Cold weather? System shutdown. OK, then less gas mileage, then transmisan starts making a sound, minor problem I THOUGHT. Told at dealership, transmission gone, I had suburjed it under water. Laughed out loud. NEVER. I loved my car. Told by Kia, under their 100,000 warranty, as a one time goodwill gesture, they will replace my transmission. Thank You Kia, but have traded my car for A jeep Grande Jeroke. Not happy with the gas mileage difference, but with the Kia problems, it is about the same. I went from about 31 miles per gallon with the Kia, when right, to about 25 miles per gallon. Now in the Jeep for about 22 miles per gallon, but feel they will honor their warranty without a headache. ALWAYS FOR ME WILL BE
    AMERICAN MADE. BUYER BE WARE!!!! Still a beautiful car.!!
  • benson10benson10 Member Posts: 15
    You paid $37,000 for a nearly new Sorento???
    My 2012 4 cyl cost only $22,450.
    Wow.
    but he got the SX model..which is top of the line v6..and if AWD the base price MSRP for it is almost $35K, add the sunroof package and the MSRP tops out near $37.....so with TTL its easy to reach the price, even after discounts....
    Geez ... a $15,000 difference. That's enough to buy another car!!!
    edited August 2011
    pricing is all relative, plus with all the upgrades, GPS, stereo, AWD, it adds up.....one of my vehicles is a 09 cadillac CTS...in some cases I could have bought three cars for the full price of the CTS....but I did get a great deal on it...almost 10K off sticker..... :)

the other fleet is an 03 Sorie, 04 Chevy Malibu Maxx, 09 CTS and 11 Subaru Outback..... :surprise:
  • ohio88ohio88 Member Posts: 1
    My Sorento would also not start. If you pump your break a few times really hard, then it will start. If that does not work, then push your ignition button in and hold for 10 seconds and that should help. They are ordering me a part for this, but it is on backorder. Hope this helps.
    I have been researching online for several months now trying to find out if the 2012 Sorento has a side curtain airbag extended to third row.
    Yesterday I visited Anaheim International Autoshow where I saw Sorento with a summary display page that said that Side Curtain Airbags are for 1 and 2nd row only. I asked Kia representatives, and all three agreed that it probably does not have the full length side curtain airbag but took down my number to give me a definitive answer.
    Today I got a call from one salesman who said he called a designer who confirmed that it does have full length side curtain airbag. However, official website, brochures only mention first and second row.
    This is highly important for me because most likely my kids would be sitting there so I need a 120% guarantee that it does come with side curtain airbag for third row. Anybody know how to confirm that?
    Third row airbags are not cost effective. Statistics show that rarely are third row seats occupied. If you want complete protection, stay off the road.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited September 2011
    The question was whether anyone could confirm the presence of third row airbag coverage.

Anyone?
    everything i have seen says they are ist and 2nd row only. ive never seen or heard of anyone or anything saying they are all 3 rows...
    Read Edmunds review of 2012 Sorento, it says full length side curtain airbag.
    Another website mentions the same thing. Kia representatives from International auto show said it has it. But official Kia website does not.
    many magazines and reviews have bad info as do many people in the business. nothing in writing from kia shows it has three row side airbags. brochure has two rows only. if it has three rows it was changed within the last month and i dont think it was...
    edited October 2011
    Funny how just about every web site out there says "full curtain" yet Kia's site doesn't. Kia's says "first and second row" in fact.

Safercar.gov doesn't shed any light.

Wouldn't be too hard to extent the curtain and maybe add another propellant canister to protect the third row. Bet you a Krispy Kreme that the Kia site is wrong. ;)
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    I'll take that bet..

The chances of them putting in airbags just for an optional third row seat... or, extending them on all models (to simplify assembly) just seems very unlikely... I have to think that airbags aren't cheap...

Plus, does any make of SUV have a curtain that extends to the third row?

Don't they have any better donuts up there than Krispy Kreme? ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Mercedes R-Class comes to mind off-hand. Wagon, crossover, SUV, take your pick.

Better donuts?

Yeah, I'll buy some Pillsbury biscuit dough in the can and fry you up some myself. Dang tasty. :)
    That is the only reason I am holding off on purchasing this car. I like everything about it, but safety of my kids is very important. Still trying to find out what is the truth.
    Was promised by a rep who will be getting training from Kia to call me next week on this topic.

Either way, its a stupid thing not to extend an airbag - mazda cx9, highlander and pilot all have full length, if Kia is trying to compete, why not finish the job well?
    i agree its a nice feature but sorento does not have it. if i had kids riding in the 3rd row i would buy something a little bigger anyway. the third row seat is right at the back of the vehicle.if you were rear ended with someone back there it seems pretty unsafe. i like my sorento but when the kids were still at home i had vehicles with more third row room from the back of the vehicle. in the 19 months ive owned my 2011 sorento someone rode back there only one time.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter is interested in talking with owners of a 2011 or 2012 Kia Sorento who are also parents. If you are interested in commenting on your experience, please reply to pr@edmunds.com no later than Monday, October 31, 2011 and include your city and state of residence, the model year of your vehicle and the age of your child/ren.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• rkennrkenn Member Posts: 9
    My steering wheel is peeling leaving pieces of black vinyl all over my hands. Dealer is ordering me a new one. Anyone else have this problem?
    edited October 2011
    On of our editors at Inside Line has contacted Kia and the word is that Kia does not offer any airbag protection in the third row.

(One batch of donuts coming up Kyfdx :D )
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    Even a blind pig finds an acorn, every once in awhile... ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• givens3725givens3725 Member Posts: 1
    Bought a 2011 Kia Sorrento for my wife after doing a lot of searching. Seemed to be a great buy for what we got. I was somewhat leery of past problems Kia had had with quality, but thought they had improved their product greatly. WRONG! We have had this vehicle in for several recalls, one that took a week to get the parts in! My main concern though has been with the push start ignition. Beginning in Feb. 2011 (one year after purchase) we have had to have the car towed in 5 times because it would not start! This is in addition to several times the car not starting until repeated (over 30 minutes) attempts. So far, the dealer has replaced the brake switch 2 times, the shifter unit once, and the battery once. One time they could not find a reason why it would not start, but it finally did start so I was sent on my way. Like many couples, my wife always gets the "new" vehicle to drive because I don't want her stranded on the road someplace. While we usually drive our cars till the wheels fall off, this vehicle is destined to be traded soon. We'll never buy another Kia product!
    guess ive been lucky with mine. will be two years old in a couple weeks and no problems yet. one question . when it wont start will it still not start when putting key fob into emergency start slot?
    Unfortunate that Givens has had problems. My 2012 is flawless at 5K miles. Terrific gas mileage, sporty handling, good power, and looks like a million dollars. Haven't used the GREAT warranty, but glad it's there. Can't believe I got such a nice vehicle for only $20, 500 plus titling tax and processing fees.
    So far, I'm ecstatic.
  • kyseankysean Member Posts: 1
    Is there anyone who knows where to get aftermarket rear suspension parts for a 2011 Sorento. V6 auto USA. I would like to keep the rear level when towing. I know there used to be air bags you could install inside the rear springs but dont see anything like that for the 2011 year model. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks, Sean