Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Ford Expedition vs Ford Expedition EL: Which one is better?

only1mooreonly1moore Member Posts: 6
edited July 2014 in Ford
The reason I asked that question is because I just bought a 2009 Ford Expedition EL XLT 4x4 in March with optional features. But my friends said I should've gotten the standard size Expedition instead. Personally, I'm partial to larger SUVs and I was intrigued by the styling of the EL, which made my decision the more easier.

Anybody else care to weigh in on this question?

Comments

• Options
    alwaysfords2alwaysfords2 Member Posts: 339
    Doesn't matter what you friends think. You've got a new car that is a month old and you are questioning it because they don't agree with it? It's not like you can bring it back, so enjoy it and worry about bigger things.
  • Options
    I understand where you coming from. But my friends came around and told me that they now envy me, so I'm not worried about it. Now one of them wants to buy a EL King Ranch. In other words, It looks like I must've started a trend because the dealer had 6 other people come in to ask about buying one after I gave one of them his card.
  • Options
    dieselonedieselone Member Posts: 5,729
    Depends on your needs. If you don't need the extra room behind the 3rd row, then the standard Expedition is great, with it's flexible seating arrangements etc. I'm still mixed on my decision to go with a standard length Expe. My previous vehicle was a Suburban and I miss the extra cargo room. But I also like the shorter turning radius with the shorter wheel base.

I'd say the EL is a package better overall. You get a bigger fuel tank, more cargo room, and the longer wheelbase should provide a bit better ride and a more stable towing platform.
  • Options
    zap314zap314 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a new 2008 Expedition EL last April. I previously had a 2005 Expedition which I traded due to the larger cargo capacity. I was tried of folding the seats up and down. I love this vehicle. I would not go back to the regular Expedition. I no longer have to fold the third row down. My best friend has the regular Expedition and she basically has to keep her third row folded down due to having to haul kids hockey gear and miscellaneous items. I can grocery shop for a family of 7 and not have to fold the seats. The rear package shelf in the EL is also a great feature. Don't listen to your friends. Mine is now sorry she didn't buy the EL.
  • Options
    dieselonedieselone Member Posts: 5,729
    My best friend has the regular Expedition and she basically has to keep her third row folded down due to having to haul kids hockey gear and miscellaneous items. I can grocery shop for a family of 7 and not have to fold the seats. The rear package shelf in the EL is also a great feature. Don't listen to your friends. Mine is now sorry she didn't buy the EL.

Good point, going from the Suburban to a standard length Expe, I find myself doing the same thing. The rear seats are always down unless someone needs to sit back there. With the seats up, their is basically very little room for cargo. That said, I don't really regret my decision because I bought my 07 EB used and got a great price. I couldn't find very many used EL with the options and color combo I wanted. If I was buying new, I would have definitely gone with an EL.
  • Options
    wvgasguywvgasguy Member Posts: 1,405
    I had bought the EL. This thing is a gas pig anyway and the extra length can't hurt that much. But there have been several times while travelling that I could have used the extra space.
  • Options
    Well its been nearly eight months since I bought my '09 EL XLT. I have to say that after logging over 6300 miles, it was the best decision that I ever made. Even my wife thought I made a good choice because of the extra stuff we had to haul, plus every time she sees a standard Expedition she thinks its too short. Now I have others asking about taking a spin, including one asking if I would swap my EL for her '08 Chevrolet TrailBlazer SS. Too bad I had to turn them down.
  • Options
    potrancopotranco Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a used '07 Expedition EL Limited and our family loves it. We had a 2000 Expedtion for 8 years and really enjoyed it. When we decided to trade in we looked at the EL and we never looked back. We just got back from a week trip to Colorado and it was great, The extra room makes all the difference. And I found a model with the power rear liftgate and my wifes loves it. We slapped on a 15 inch drop down DVD and it's perfect. We'll have this car for 5 years+. Unless you have 4 or less in your family, the EL is the way to go.
  • Options
    exbdishinexbdishin Member Posts: 6
    Er, there's only 4 in our family and we love our EL.

Just bought it 2 weeks ago; I've never driven anything as big so I was a bit worried I wouldn't be able to handle it but apart from a scary moment on the very first day it's been wonderful.

I told my wife that to justify having one of the biggest cars on the planet we either need to have another child or get a boat. She chose the boat... In the meantime we put one kid in the middle row and the other kid in the 3rd row and that helps to justify it.
  • Options
    mikesheldonmikesheldon Member Posts: 7
    has there been any word yet on a remodel of the ford expedition/expedition el? it has to be about due for another one since the last remodel was in 2007.
  • Options
    No changes for 2011. The only thing they did for '11 was the addition of HD radio as a standard and silver exterior cladding. Ford has revised the trim levels on the Expedition EL: The new standard XL, XLT (now upgraded and replaced the Eddie Bauer trim) Limited, and King Ranch.
  • Options
    alwaysfords2alwaysfords2 Member Posts: 339
    The Exploder is all new for '11, that's where they spent their money. Not sure I'm a fan of how it looks just yet.
  • Options
    Well, I saw it and it is unique and refreshing, not to mention a radical departure from the previous generations. I wouldn't be surprised if this version will serve as the inspriation for the next generation Expedition/EL series somewhere down the line. And with GM prepping the next generation Suburban/Yukon XL for a '12 or '13 launch, we could see this one coming down the pipline in the near future.
This discussion has been closed.