Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

4WD or 2WD Toyota RAV4

bdvance1bdvance1 Member Posts: 4
edited June 2014 in Toyota
Looking at a used (2004) RAV4. Great little cars (suv) but am wondering if a 2WD will work well enough. We live in Iowa, lots of snow....but have always had front wheel drive cars (accords, camrys, nissan) and normally get around just fine. Hate to spend the extra on 4WD if a 2WD will suffice?

Comments

• wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Personally I will NEVER understand why anyone with the clear and certain expectation of driving on wintertime adverse roadbed conditions would purchase ANY FWD vehicle, especially an "SUV".

I would look first for a much more safe RWD or R/awd but if you must buy a RAV4 then the F/awd is a "given".
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I wouldn't want to go back to RWD in the snow unless it worked as good as my '70's era VW Bug.

The problem with AWD or 4WD is the mileage hit. And I've always had good luck with my FWD in most snow conditions.
  • nimiminimimi Member Posts: 249
    The chief advantage I see for having 4WD/AWD is that the WSP will allow you to cross the passes without chaining up when the "Chains Required" sign is alight.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    And you won't find me doing anything at those times but putting tire chains on my rear wheels. I would NEVER run in those conditions in 4WD/AWD locked center differential, just as dangerous as even FWD.
  • cma6cma6 Member Posts: 1
    The 2WD, is it front or rear WD?

Also, in snow country like NH, would 4WD be overkill, e.g,, is the 2WD a hybrid system which already gives 4WD when necessary?
This discussion has been closed.