Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Corolla Electric-Assist Power Steering (EPS)

Comments

• terceltomterceltom Member Posts: 1,024
    I'm not too keen on the prudence of encouraging everyone with a Toyota to complain to the NHTSA about steering issues? I think the correct thing to do would be only to encourage those who actually ARE having this problem to complain. To me it's more than just a handful of Corolla owners having this problem but you have to admit, it's a very, very small percentage. Less than 200 out of about what? 175,000? About 1/10 of one percent. Now granted if your one of the 1/10th of one percent it still sucks for you. Hopefully they will take care of those infected cars ASAP.
  • jersey027jersey027 Member Posts: 7
    Ok guy how about this i just hung up the phone with the NHTSA at 3:30 pm 3-18-2010 and i was told there has been an open ivestigagtion as of 02-16-2010 on the 2009 and 2010 steering problems with 179 complaints and growing. This is a major problem and I will not be taken advantage by the greed of Toyota being the #1 auto company by pumping out more unsafe cars. The NHTSA will get to the bottom of this hopefully before more peps get hurt or die. Think about it this steering is controled by electronics to hydrolics then car turns thats 1 reason of the delay in steering control. It fells like every day is 30mph winds or stronger and you cant keep the car straight. Its very tiering to drive a long distance as you can not relax and just drive. This car has multiple problems and i will get the lemon law or arbitration to get all my money back from Toyota corp and there greed. :lemon:
  • denvecsrdenvecsr Member Posts: 40
    I am with you 100%. I have reported my 09 Corolla to NHTSA. I hope everyone who is having problems will also.
  • mnfmnf Member Posts: 405
    OMG a 179 and growing how many cars were sold i am going to drive mine off the cliff tonight. Heck i will just start it up it should take off by its self.
  • pekelvrpekelvr Member Posts: 61
    thats why I said go to NHTS site and report like every time you get a chance it will let make multiple claims. you can judge the amt of claims by the descriptions and you can see the summaries on the site just narrow it down to steering p :sick: roblems.
    Actually, I think they said there were around 200 complaints way back in February already. But still only a very minute fraction of all of the recent generation of Corollas sold.

A "delay" in steering ? Interesting, first I heard it described that way.

Your theory don't hold water, as there is no hydraulics on this EPS steering.

"It fells like every day is 30mph winds or stronger and you cant keep the car straight"

Actually, I have no problem keeping my 2009 Corolla straight, your the one having the problem.

All that being said, I do wish they would make all of you with this problem whole again for your trouble, safety and inconveniance
  • zekeman1zekeman1 Member Posts: 422
    I joined the list about a month or so ago.
  • aucharlesaucharles Member Posts: 6
    edited March 2010
    We just purchased a new 2010 Corolla to save on fuel costs. My fiancée can drive over 30,000 miles in a year with her job, so moving off her 20 mpg vehicle represented a considerable savings on fuel costs.

Both my fiancée and I drove different Corollas at different times as we went through the test drive and selection process. I even drove a Corolla at a different dealership than the one we ended up buying from. She did drive the vehicle we purchased, mentioning it did not drive as “smooth” as the other two others she had tested. I did not test drive this vehicle. I did however test drive 3 Corollas in total; all vehicles I drove were pretty consistent and stable on their steering. I did not experience any of the front-end "meandering" on any of the 3 vehicles I test drove.

Our final selection on a new Corolla was a function of features and cost, choosing the vehicle based on what it had on it; what we wanted on the car and its color.

During our selection process my fiancée expressed numerous concerns about safety as the accelerator problem was some-what front and center on many news and internet sites. She is a bit of an eccentric in this regard, yelling at speeding drivers on her daily runs, driving no more than the posted speed limit on expressways, and setting her cruise control on longer side roads just to maintain posted low speeds. We were reassured of the vehicle’s safety on many occasions during the lengthy sales process as it was a big issue for her. Twice we asked our Sales Rep to step outside his office so that we could discuss safety and other issues we had e.g. price, color, features. At one point a Senior Manager with our dealership was brought in to assure her that the vehicle was safe; quell her concerns that there may be problems with the car.

What seems apparent is that not all Corollas are experiencing the “meandering” problem; driving as if one is in a high-wind environment at high speed. And I do not believe a person should have to “adjust” to this new steering phenomenon; that we need to get used to this new feel. We just had our first dealer Service Manager test drive on our vehicle and the written comment was “unable to duplicate customer complaint at this time”. This is an interesting written comment when his verbal remarks to my fiancée were, “I understand where you are coming from”, and being a first time Toyota buyer “you just need to get used to the feel of the steering on Toyotas”.

Does anyone else remember the good old days when Toyota products were a step-up from American vehicles; that you increased your driving experience by purchasing a Toyota? The Service Manager’s comment was sort of like asking your fiancée to squint while looking at her new engagement ring.

This product will be subject to recall as someone will die as a result of having to provide constant reaction and concentration in steering one of these problem Corollas. In south Texas there are many narrow two-lane highways with posted speeds of 65 and 70 mph. And because of the constant reactions and adjusting a person needs to make on this vehicle, and that at high speeds small changes within the steering mechanism are exacerbated, it is only a matter of time before a narrow shoulder or oncoming traffic claims a life. A driver will steer right to correct a left tug created by the steering mechanism, and then the mechanism will go right by itself as well. Or maybe it will be a gust of wind that blows it right at that time. Either way, the two rights will make a wrong; one by the driver adjusting to the Toyota EPS unit and one by the system or wind. Coupled with high speeds and narrow shoulders these events will create an accident. This scenario happened 3 - 4 times with my fiancée on a 200 mile drive down to south Texas on the narrow two lanes. At least three times she crossed over the solid white line along the right side of the road.

As drivers we should not have to “adjust” to Toyota steering. If the wind blows right, I can react to that. All of us as experienced drivers have driven in high winds at high speeds. You correct for these factors as they manifest themselves; experience trains you how to react. And I have read all the crappola about road crowning and tire pressure considerations. We have all been driving with these events for many, many years i.e. winds, grooved pavement, crowned roads, varying tire pressures, driving across metal bridges, etc. We are all experienced drivers under all the different stated conditions or considerations. Got that. Now add another if you happen to pick up one of these specially designed EPS Corollas. My fiancée actually had road fatigue and something similar to carpal tunnel pain after her 200 mile trip to see her mom and dad.

She called our Sales rep on her way down to south Texas and asked if there were any reported steering issues on the Corolla. He said that he had not heard of any. She spoke to a service technician as well at that time. Same reply; hadn't’ heard of any issues regarding Corolla steering. I called in too that afternoon and got the same answer. I guess we should have expected these comments based on our numerous safety concerns during the sales process; my fiancée’s hyper sensitivity to safety. She then went online at her mother’s home and got on the internet. There it was. Federal government notice of an investigation; Toyota notice of an investigation on Corolla steering issues. I asked a Customer Advisor at our dealership the next day if he knew anything about a Corolla steering issue. He told me he did not. These are all interesting statements from our dealership staff being that we have the document issued February 22, 2010, from Wayne Hutchinson and Bob Waltz to all Toyota Dealerships marked ******URGENT****** in regards to the NHTSA Preliminary Evaluation on 2009 – 2010 Corollas and Matrix Electric Power Steering (EPS). This notice was sent out about week before we purchased our Corolla. I guess the dealerships don’t let the employees read these “URGENT” memos from Corporate Toyota……probably get in the way of sales quotas if you have to disclose them to the buyers. I guess if you have never seen the memo you can answer truthfully “I haven’t heard of any troubles with the Corolla steering”. Hhmm.
    Continuation of Post #174.

Over the past 24 or so hours I have been researching this problem, looking at as much information as I can, talking with as many folks that will listen or comment, and it is a bit unsettling as I go over our purchasing experience. And I have been informing each and every Toyota employee I speak to that there is a potential problem with the steering at high speeds, and that they are on notice that the Federal government and Toyota are both looking at this issue. I told our Sales Rep, I told the two or three operator/phone staff of the steering issue, I told two Customer Advisors, I told the national Toyota lady, Nicole, that there is a problem and that the Federal government and Toyota are looking into it. I told everyone that they have an obligation to disclose this issue when working with prospective buyers. And not once during our purchase experience did I hear “you will have to get used to the sensitive steering mechanism on our Corollas”, or that I will have to get used to the “feel” of a Toyota product.

Some of the EPS Corollas, and I guess other Toyota vehicles, have a problem with a “meandering” vehicle at high speeds due to its steering mechanism. I know for a fact that not all similar vehicles have this problem. I test drove three with no observation of this issue. And I hear the testimonials on this forum of others that have no problems with their vehicles as well. But those of us that have these difficult Corollas are absolutely driving autos that are risky at high speeds. This “focused” driving need on the EPS Corolla is fatiguing and unnatural. But it is absolutely the answer to all our complaints about cell phone use, texting, makeup application, coffee drinking, etc. as both hands always have to be at 10 o'clock, 2 o'clock, with eyes straight ahead 100% of the time while driving. And you also do not get to look at the blue bonnets along the narrow two lanes of south Texas; or change your radio station. At least not at high speeds. And I hear all the folks that are driving their Corolla that do not have a problem. I hear those that still extol the Toyota quality. To each of you I offer your 17 year old daughter, or 69 year old parent, or mid 40, slightly eccentric fiancée the opportunity to test drive my vehicle at 65 mph along a Texas two-lane or crowded freeway. To those of you offering solutions or information your on common experiences, thanks.
    Excellent posts, aucharles. I filed my complaint online with the NHTSA and hopefully others, who are experiencing even a hint of the same thing, do so as well. If there is an investigation, perhaps some commonality will be found on the complaints. I think not all owners are experiencing the same thing...could it be only those vehicles built at a certain plant have the issue? Only those built in Japan (or not built in Japan). Time will tell...I do believe there is a real issue, but one not affecting everyone.
    Z
    I agree there has to be something there are to many people with issues but like you said not everyone. I for one have no issues with my steering at all but i read many of people that do.
    Filed complaint on 03/20/10 with NHTSA. Filed complaint with TX attorney general as well. Will follow up with our dealership test drive on 03/22/10 but assume we will get the same "unable to duplicate customer complaint at this time" rhetoric. Will get independent mechanic opinion as well.

I need to get a comparison test made between those vehicles that have the problem as those that do not. Working through right now on how to get that done..
    I agree with you. Has to be unique to just certain vehicles. With our auto you cannot drive at high speeds without both hands on the steering wheel at all times, compensating for the slight shifts. You are fighting the vehicle at all times when driving at high speeds. Driving at modest speeds (< 40 mph or so) I've no issues.

I read on an Australia web item that they do not have the same Corolla problem over there as the steering mechanism used on their vehicles is not the same unit used in the USA.

http://www.themotorreport.com.au/49858/american-toyota-corolla-steering-issue-no- t-a-concern-for-australia
    I regret that you are one of the new Corolla owners having some kind of steering issue. At the same time I respect you for acknowledging that only a small number of these cars have this same issue. As you stated yourself, three out of the four Corollas you test drove showed no sign of this problem. Most posters that write concerning this steering issue make overall judgments on the new Corolla based on their own unfortunate and unique situation. Some make comments that would lead others to believe that this problem is common on all Corollas when that could not be further from the truth. I would however disagree totally with your statement insinuating that Toyota's best days are behind them.

"Does anyone else remember the good old days when Toyota products were a step-up from American vehicles; that you increased your driving experience by purchasing a Toyota?"

I have, and still do believe Toyota cars are one of the safest, most reliable, economical and best built cars sold today. Toyota will recover from this off year and will be an even better car in the future.
    A test drive for a Corolla does not reveal the meandering...you have to drive it a while on different highways going 50 plus mph and you have to dot it for more than a 15 minute stretch. When I tested my 2010 Corolla I too did not experience the EPS issue so I traded in the Corolla that did which was an 2008 model. Because I do like my Toyota S, but go test drive a Mazda 3 2010 and you will regret your Corolla purchase just as I do!

As for the amount of vehicles experiencing the issue I think your number maybe skewed. You only test drove that doesnt count as a gauge for how many cars do have the EPS issue and I would add that you would need to have your fiance take that rip again with each and I bet you a dollar that you would edit your claim... :confuse:
    What seems to "skewed" is that you think you had this so called "meandering" problem on your 2008 Corolla when the 2008 Corolla wasn't even equipped with EPS steering ? ? ? ? ?
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    My ex-gf had an '04 Corolla (same basic car as '08) that had rather numb steering, but it didn't have a problem going straight like we've discussed here. I wonder if they're mistaking a lack of steering feel with a lack of straight-line stability?
    It's an issue on the 09 - 10 models, not the 04...and not all, just a few...
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Right; that's the basis of my post. The steering on the previous-gen Corollas wasn't good, crisp, or fun (it was pretty much a soggy mess relative to a Civic), but it wasn't dangerous.
  • jilliewjilliew Member Posts: 48
    Well, I guess I am going to have to report mine also. I bought my '09 Corolla XLE in Feb of 2008. It drove perfectly. My only complaint was the stopping distance. I reported it to the dealer and got brushed off. Then I was backing out of the driveway one day and the car wouldn't move. I pushed the pedal in a tiny bit further, no more. The third time it whizzed backward out into the street. I got it stopped before it entered the house across the street. I don't have a lead foot, matter of fact I hate speeders. Then my auto lights only worked sometimes and I have an icon showing that shouldn't be there.It's related to the lights. In my experience, once you get electrical problems you might as will get rid of the car. In the last 6 mos or so I started noticing a funny steering problem. I'll be driving along and all of a sudden there is a bunch of play in my steering wheel. Toyota arranged for me to go to the dealer about all these issues. If they don't get fixed and they try to screw me around I guess I will have to join a law suit. Does anybody have a link to the NHTSA so I can report the steering.. Thanks in advance. :mad:
    Im so sorry to here your worries. The website is nhtsa.gov I believe. dont just report once eiter as we want them to recognize this real issue. Just yesterday my car crosed lanes on the highway and almost killed me. You see its great that the car practially drives itself but the EPS system will also follow the rut that goes sideways and if you dont hold that wheel with both hands tight your car will follow that rut and take you Lord knows where. :confuse:
    Why don't you just go back to the dealer and ask them to repair your steering rather than just reporting it to the NHTSA ? From your description and late development of the problem it doesn't sound like it's related to the much talked about EPS problem. You know not all new Toyota problems are going to be related to these much publicized recall issues. And NOOOOOOO, unless you have tons of cash, people don't just get rid of their new cars because the headlights malfunctioned. Have these issues taken care of and enjoy your new car.
  • dantzdantz Member Posts: 49
    "I'll be driving along and all of a sudden there is a bunch of play in my steering wheel."

This might not even be related to the EPS. What you're describing could be caused by the mechanical failure of a steering component. I can't believe you would continue to drive a car in that condition. I would have had it towed to the dealer immediately.
    Totally blows my mind how you went from a perfectly good car to aquiring all four problems all of a sudden. This is a very unique situation. Please don't take this the wrong way, but could the media have made you a little paranoid? I mean, could you be attributing some of these issues to recall problems just because that's what you've been reading and hearing? That is a real phenomenum you know.
    Thanks for the info.
    Electrical problems seem to lead to more problems. I mean more electrical problems. A new car shouldn't have so many. It's got less than 12K on it. Besides, who would buy it with all that's going one. Aside from all the problems, I still like the car. It's all just a little overwhelming.
    It doesn't happen every time I drive it. I do plan to take it in soon. Meanwhile I have been sicking to the back roads and off the freeway so I don't get hit by a semi. Plus I haven't been driving it much at all.
  • keith49keith49 Member Posts: 2
    I submitted a complaint to Toyota and they sent 3 technicians to my dealership to experience the EPS steering problem first hand. They drove it for about an hour and checked it on the rack. I understand they are continuing to research the problem. I hope this means there will be a solution and a recall soon. I bought my 2009 corolla in June 2008 and now have over 33k miles on it and have had the problems the whole time. I feel it mostly when driving in the passing lane (of a 4 lane highway) at high speeds >60 where the highway has slight crown toward the medium and it always pulls left. It's not so bad in the right land where the road is flatter although you must always drive with both hands and take frequent stretch breaks to prevent arm soreness from setting in. I have been driving for over 30 years and have never experienced problems like this before nor do I have issues while driving any of my other vehicles. My Toyota was built in Japan (VIN starts with a 'J'). The problem is exacerbated in the cold Minnesota weather. I&#146;m confident that Toyota will come up with a fix for those of use experiencing this problem.
    Can I have your autograph? I think it's fantastic that NHTSA came and responded to you!!! happy thoughts ur way...
    Slight drift to the edge of road crowning is normal but perhaps yours is more than expected. Just wondering why you didn't notice the EPS problem when you test drove the car back in 2008. Didn't you take on the highway for a spin? Don't think the country of manufacture really matters as far as the EPS problems some are experiencing. I do hope Toyota does something for you people.
  • keith49keith49 Member Posts: 2
    The slight drift isn't the problem - it's the continuous amount of force to turn the steering wheel to keep from going off the road that is the problem. If you&#146;re not having this problem on your car then good for you, but everybody that is experiencing the problem please do not hesitate to report it to the NHTSA as mentioned in an earlier post so Toyota can get this resolved.
    Well, we did go to two different Toyota Dealerships to have it fixed and according the the service mgr. there is nothing to fix...We were told this is "normal." I will be taking it in again next week. The car feels like it's fishtailing all the time...it's alot of work to drive that car...and it shouldn't be...
    Oh absolutely, if your having a problem please report it to whoever will listen. Nobody should have to feel uncomfortable in a new car. Not quite sure what my car has to do with your steering issue that you felt it necessary to bring that up. But anyway, my initial reply was about natural drift due to road crowning as you stated was a symptom of your car's unusual steering behavior. I also wondered if this behavior was present during test drive or developed over time.
    Not quite sure what my car has to do with your steering issue that you felt it necessary to bring that up.

Probably because he's anticipating your chiming in to virtually each and every post someone makes about how lousy the steering is on their car. I think by now most regulars know that you feel the sun rises and sets on your Corolla. It's great to be proud of your car, but I'm intrigued why you feel it's necessary to counter with a comment each time someone posts a negative comment about a Corolla. Certainly you have every right to post and show your knowledge about the car (and many benefit by it!), but I guess some people may get tired of what appears to you being in the bag for Toyota.

I've owned many model Toyota's, two Lexus, an Infiniti, Nissan and never before have I experienced the lousy steering as I have on my 2010 Corolla. Yes, I reported it to the NHTSA and I would encourage others experiencing the same anomaly to do the same. It's a relatively straightforward, simple, and quick process and you go on the record...to ignore filing due to complacency is doing yourself and others a disservice. No guarantee they'll do anything, but you can look yourself in the mirror and at least say you did something! Many times, the squeaky wheel DOES get the oil!
    Z
    Perhaps you should stay on topic and stop critcizing me because of my satisfaction for the Toyota Corolla.
    You misunderstand me; I wasn't criticizing you, just responding to your speculation why someone brought up something about your car. I was staying on topic, which was what others have said about the poor steering they have experienced on the Corolla, as well as my own experience. It appears you have had nothing but great experiences with the Corolla - for that you should be thankful!

To reiterate - if someone is having problems with their steering, they should report it. If they haven't, continue to be in love with their car!
    Z
    Q)Why don't you just go back to the dealer and ask them to repair your steering rather than just reporting it to the NHTSA ?

Answer) Why do you think that we haven't gone to the dealership? I have gone to my dealer and an authorized Toyota service center and I will quote you the response on the report or evaluation they handed me.

"Toyota is aware of the EPS issues that Mrs. Porter has brought her car in today for. We do not have a repair at this time and await response from Toyota as to how they will proceed to repair the EPS. At this time we have asked Mrs. Porter to await further news from Toyota and a possible recall of either her car or a repair to be made to her car."

your comment) From your description and late development of the problem it doesn't sound like it's related to the much talked about EPS problem.

Reply) The issue is Electronic and not a minor fix to the steering. The problems had you gone to the NTSA site is not repairable at this time and that's quoting Toyota dealers. There are well over 250 complaints concerning the EPS and steering and that's factual. Toyota has acknowledged this and is currently working on "the fix."

You know not all new Toyota problems are going to be related to these much publicized recall issues.

The issue concerning EPS hasn't been in main stream media, so i for one resent your implication. The issue is that we drivers are in fact experiencing dangerous steering issues and if you haven't experienced it then I'm happy for you but don't try to disqualify something you obviously do not know anything about!

Comment)And NOOOOOOO, unless you have tons of cash, people don't just get rid of their new cars because the headlights malfunctioned. Have these issues taken care of and enjoy your new car.

Reply) You're right, some people cannot afford to just get rid of car, unless the car takes you off road and you fear getting in it with your children then I would say drive at your own risk. I for one use my Toyota everyday HOWEVER I do not use it to get on the highway anymore because once you hit a speed of over 45-55 and up, your car will and again I quote Toyota dealer your car's EPS has a sensor that for ease of the driver will follow ruts, grooves, and unlevel pavement making the car feel like it is moving with the wind moving left and then to the right and it will meander!

As for where you spoke about headlights --- YES! you do take your car for a fix if your headlights don't work and if they cant get them to work you find out if it's an electrical problem, because if it is then you will have a true lemon of a car with major issues later on!!!!

Hope this helps!!!

PS anyone with car defects should report it to NHTSA because they are supposed to protect the roads we all drive on from faulty cars!! any faulty cars!!
    edited April 2010
    Relax, I wasn't referring to the EPS problem you and some others are experiencing, I was referring to the unrelated steering problem the poster was having in post #186. Perhaps you should go back and re-read the issue. It was regarding a newly occurring issue for her relating to free play in her wheel, not EPS related. I know you would like to think everyone's issues are going to be related to the EPS but there could be many other steering issues drivers could experience affecting their cars other than the EPS sensitivity issue.

Regarding headlights, again you misread my post. I said you don't get rid of a car because of burned out headlights. I didn't say you don't get them fixed. I wouldn't make such an asinine comment?
  • pkerriganpkerrigan Member Posts: 1
    incurring the well documented steering issue w/ toyota Corolla 2010....while we wait for Toyota to figure out their problem has anyone been offered a free loaner because I have not !...I was told by toyota shop foreman not to drive car but no loaner ....yet
    A shop foreman hardly has any authority to make any kind of statement like that. However, if an authorized dealer representative himself made that kind of comment, then absolutely you should demand a loaner.
  • amg1099amg1099 Member Posts: 14
    Get this...so they had surveyed my car for 4 hours (a team of Toyota techs came from California). At the moment, Toyota have not disclosed anything to me with regards to what they found out or what exactly they did within those 4 hours they had my car. Erica, my case manager from California informed me that it will remain within their record and should there be any improvement that needs to be done, I will be contacted. Why is Toyota not disclosing this information to me? What are they hiding? Shouldn't I be entitled to know what exactly is going on with my car, considering I'm paying for it and I'm paying for the inconvenience that I'm dealing sending my car to the shop almost every month. I thought it was shady. I was given a loaner though, for 2 days, free of charge. Right now, my car is still the same.

Although I may be going off the subject here, I myself experienced for the very first time the unintended acceleration of my 2009 toyota corolla s. Basically, I was driving with a speed of between 35-40 mph. All of a sudden, my RPM revved up to #3 and it stayed there for about less than a minute. Keep in mind that I didn't have my foot on the pedal within this time frame and the RPM remained on 3. I took my foot off when I noticed the increase in RPM. I thought that was scary. I contacted the dealership and they said that they will need to take a look at my car for an hour and have the techs ask me questions...so once again, I will have to go to the shop for this. I am really really beginning to think that there is something wrong with the Toyota's pedal and how it's an electrical problem.
    Why is Toyota not disclosing this information to me? What are they hiding? Shouldn't I be entitled to know what exactly is going on with my car

Not disclosing findings to you to protect themselves from any kind of legal issues that might pop-up down the road. Not hiding anything, just keeping it to themselves, (see first answer). If they thought that there is something wrong with your car, then yes you should have been made aware of that.

I am really really beginning to think that there is something wrong with the Toyota's pedal

There supposedly IS somethng wrong with the Corolla's pedal, didn't you get the recall notice for the shim insert?
    Yes Terceltom, they have in fact did the shim insert but it felt weird so I got them to replace it with a new accelerator pedal. Even with the new pedal, that's when I experienced what a lot of people are experiencing, which is the sudden acceleration of the car.

With them keeping it to themselves, that is hiding things from me, as a consumer.
    I had my Shim put in and it dont feel any differant than before but i didn't have any issues before then or now. Go figure
    good for you mnf
  • sjareasjarea Member Posts: 49
    Please keep the forum updated on your issue.

I really appreciate it and you are not alone in your Corolla issue. Keep that in mind as well because I am sure at times you feel alone. I've filed w/ NHTSA and also told them/Toyota if you want access to mine to see what is happening they are welcome to it.

I'll venture your inspection was part of the NHTSA prelim-investigation. I assume we should have something within 3 to 6 months from start of investigation (just a guess).

To those not having the steering issue - good for you. Drive your car and consider yourself lucky IMO.

Remember this forum thread IS about EPS steering issues that people are experiencing. I really appreciate the forum owners for hosting this subject and thread :)
    I ditto that! I just got my done this past Saturday. It took the tech. a total of ten minutes to complete the job. And as you stated, no difference. After I got home I opened the mail from Toyota to inform me of the upcoming mat replacement/recall.
    Well I have to disagree with you there! When I buy a new car, I don't go home and consider myself lucky that it works as it's supposed to. I expect it to perform and give me the Toyota reliability I've come to expect. "Luck" never enters the picture unless it's bad luck as your experiencing. Considering the small number of Corolla owners affected by the EPS problem and the highly unlikely situation of a new Toyota having any problem at all, is really just "bad luck". I mean I still have a 2001 Corolla I never touched except for oil changes. That's not "luck", that's real Toyota reliability I've come to expect. Hang in there all, Toyota will eventually work it out for you and they'll also be a better company for it.

On a side note, I just took my Corolla in for my pedal shim insert this past Saturday. The tech. is actually a rarely seen friend of mine. So I ask him about the EPS problems. He didn't even know what I was talking about. He then asked the service manager about it and the service manager told us both that they didn't have a single complaint about any Corollas EPS problems. So again, I don't doubt that you are having a problem, but I think it's just "bad luck".
    It's so funny because I received the same thing too Saturday.
    Hey Terceltom,

Maybe you should read this article:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100411/ap_on_bi_ge/us_toyota_legal_tactics