Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• grubbs1grubbs1 Member Posts: 69
    It looks like you have achieved the bottom line: satisfaction. You were willing to pay more for the vehicle as long as you received the service and attention you wanted.

However, my guess is that no matter what you paid for the vehicle, you would have received the same great service. Also, a good idea may be to purchase the vehicle elsewhere at a lower price and go to your dealership for the service!

I have returned to the dealership once since my purchase and the service was great. I paid somewhere around $800 over the invoice for my 4runner (a pretty good deal, though nothing compared to the recent '03 deals!). Just my thoughts...
  • grubbs1grubbs1 Member Posts: 69
    Happy new year everyone! We have so many things to be thankful for in this great country of ours, the least of which is owning such a fantastic truck!
  • coranchercorancher Member Posts: 232
    Last night we got just the right kind of slick snow and ice for experimenting on a very low traction surface, so I went out shortly after midnight on local streets and a couple of big parking lots to see what I could learn. I thought I'd share my experiences here and see how they compare with those of others. First (in case you don't want to read the detail) I thought I'd list the main conclusions I came to:

1. The system is very effective, and doesn't require that the user do anything different in typical situations.

2. Traction is much better (more than twice as good) in 4WD, so if you've got a V6 (with its multimode system) I recommend you switch to 4WD at your first opportunity or just leave it there any time things might get slick.

3. Traction enhancements, especially 4WD and traction control, don't change the ultimate adhesion limits for turning and braking. Those limits on the "friction circle" remain, so technology can actually allow you to get to hazardous speeds easier/quicker than before.

And now more detail on my experiences and some speculation on the hows and whys. First, I should note that I was alone in the vehicle with no cargo, so the rear end was light. I've got a V6 so I experimented in both 2WD and 4WD modes. I was running in just a couple of inches of snow near the freezing point, and the snow would pack immediately into ice when driven on (or especially when spun on) so conditions were very slick but not what I would call extremely slick.

I started out in 2WD. Even on level streets or slight slopes it was easy to get traction control (TC) and skid control (SC) working, whether accelerating from a stop or just speeding up, and whether going straight or turning. The main clue that the system is working is the noise from the pump recharging the pressure accumulator (sounds like a chattering sound or the sound of a chain slipping on loose sprockets) and the light in the instrument cluster. The pump noise often persists for a few seconds after the system has stopped acting. Other clues are the dull thunks coming from the brakes stopping or starting wheel rotation and the feel of the system doing something unusual like braking only one side to straighten you out. If you pay attention you can also feel the dethrottling.

In general I don't think traction was very good in 2WD with no weight in back. I think the Bridgestone Duelers are ok in these conditions; no better and no worse. Most folks aren’t very happy with the Dunlops that come on some 4Runners, and you'll get all kinds of opinions on the Michelins. I'd recommend dedicated snow tires if you're really serious about traction and you want to move beyond stock. Mostly, I'd recommend avoiding 2WD in slick conditions, especially with no weight in back. Traction in 4WD was very good!

Accelerating is pretty much free of drama. TC keeps wheelspin to a minimum with braking and dethrottling, probably to assist in avoiding spins and sideways sliding. Those are both behaviors that can easily result in property damage and, worst of all, sliding into oncoming traffic. On a hill that's too steep for the amount of traction you have (whether in 2WD or 4WD) and where there is some sidehill component, the system will limit wheelspin to keep you from slipping sideways due to the wheelspin. You'll actually just come to an uphill stop, with the engine revving only a little and the wheels barely turning, with all the brakes on. No drama, no fun, but also minimum danger.

The system pays attention to where you're pointing the steering wheel and compares it to what the accelerometer(s) say the vehicle is actually doing. This is quite effective, and is also one way you can get the system to lose control. It controls the throttle and the brakes but not the steering, so you can use the steering in a big way while accelerating or braking, to do things SC can't correct. It seems that when the system finds a big difference between what you want and what it can do, it beeps at you to say it has little or no control of the situation. I'm not sure, but the beeping may have also coincided with the most dramatic dethrottling.

The needs of SC may explain why TC is so conservative as far as allowed wheelspin is concerned. SC is primarily achieved by braking one wheel or one side, but when you are substantially sideways that isn't effective. So SC has a high priority on keeping you from getting sideways, unless you turn the steering wheel a bunch. The same goes for acceleration uphill. Limiting wheelspin also limits the sideways skittering that can cause you to slide sideways off the road or into a curb or parked car.

Misc. observations: TC and SC and ABS work in reverse, too. That might be a big help in some situations. Braking was as free of drama as acceleration, both in forward and reverse gears. Just tromp the pedal and steer. The (center) differential lock button turns off TC and SC, giving you the chance to do some spinning. It has no effect in 2WD though. The 4Runner feels just a little more stiff-legged (or very slightly "bound up") in 4WD, same on slick roads as on dry. Others have commented on this and I've felt it too, though the sensation is pretty slight.

After a fair amount of TC, SC, and ABS action I opened the hood a couple of times to see if the pump/actuator, valve body, or accumulator got warm. As far as I can tell, they didn't.

Sorry about the long post. I'd appreciate hearing about the experiences or speculation of others.
  • intmed99intmed99 Member Posts: 485
    Thanks. Locking the center diff turns OFF VSC and dethrottling function, but it does NOT turn off traction control. Traction control is ALWAYS on...on rear axle (in 2wd mode) or on both axles (in 4wd mode).
  • yabedudeyabedude Member Posts: 26
    For the 2nd time in a month, yesterday my radio (JBL w/ 10 speakers) was unresponsive. I start the truck and the radio functions/plays, but all the controls are inoperative. The volume is stuck on whatever level it was on when I last turned the ignition off; am/fm/disc/tape are all ignoring the press of their buttons; and the forward/backward channel selectors are also dead.

However, turning the ignition off and on resets the controls.

As I said, this is the 2nd time this occured in a month.

Another abnormality occurred about 3 weeks ago ... on my way to work, I have to descend a relatively steep hill that banks sharply to the right and then changes into an on-ramp for a bridge. When there is heavy traffic, I tend to shift down to 3rd rather that pressing the brake all the way down. Once I'm on the bridge ramp, I begin to accelerate and pop the gear back in "D". On this day, however, the gear refused to come out of 3rd! I don't mean the stick shift wouldn't move, I mean the gears wouldn't. I noticed that the RPM's were getting quite high and were up around 4000. Typically it's around 2-2.5. I double checked to ensure I was out of 3rd, and indeed it was in D. In an attempt to 'reset' the problem, I geared down into 3rd again and back to D. No change! Still stuck in 3rd!

I took the next exit and turned off the ignition (I figured that might help after the first radio incident) and as I got back on the highway, it was fine and remains fine to this day.

When I got into the office, I called my dealer to explain about the gear problem and told them of the radio incident. They asked if the service engine light came on. No, I replied. Being in the computer field for +20 years, I knew what they would say ... it's like looking for needle in a hay stack.

I want to install an aftermarket head unit and security system, but I'm worried that any future issues will be blamed on the non-Toyota hardware.

The dealer offered to hook up their computer to search for a problem, but I was told that unless the service engine light came on there would be no record of any problems.

Has anyone experienced anything like this with their 03/04 4Runner? Mine is a V8 Sport with no aftermarket accessories installed (yet). What would you do? Suggestions?

:(

Chris
  • kheintz1kheintz1 Member Posts: 213
    Thank you for taking the time to post your observations. One of your comments caught my eye: "The 4Runner feels just a little more stiff-legged (or very slightly 'bound up') in 4WD, same on slick roads as on dry. Others have commented on this and I've felt it too, though the sensation is pretty slight."

I drive an AWD 4Runner, and in one of my previous postings I questioned whether or not the 4WD-High mode of the 4WD 4Runner should be selected only when the drive wheels are able to easily slip, such as on snow, ice, sand, mud, rain-soaked roads, etc. I believe it may have been Terrafirma who responded by saying that
    no, the 4WD 4Runner can be driven in its 4WD-High mode on dry pavement, without any worries related to binding-up, tire scrubbing, etc. But, your above quoted comments would seem to suggest that there is indeed some noticeable "bind-up" when you drive your 4WD 4Runner in 4WD-High mode on dry pavement.

So my question is, Corancher, do you routinely operate your 4WD 4Runner in 4WD-High mode even when driving on dry pavement? Thanks!
  • kheintz1kheintz1 Member Posts: 213
    I'm no expert by any stretch, but in my opinion, your description of the problems your vehicle has displayed with regard to the transmission and high RPMs incident should have been viewed by your dealer's service advisor as being worrisome and alarming. I think your vehicle is potentially unsafe until proven otherwise.

Even though you saw no warning lights, I think they (and you!) should have immediately insisted on bringing your vehicle in for a careful inspection, including computer diagnostics. Aside from the obvious safety concerns here, another good reason for immediately insisting on a careful inspection and diagnostic work-up would be to begin clearly establishing a WELL DOCUMENTED HISTORY regarding these complaints, particularly with the regard to the tranny and high RPMs complaints. As things now stand, I would doubt whether your dealer created ANY paper or computer-based documentation regarding your mere PHONE conversation with them regarding your worrisome complaints. Should your vehicle's electrical or other critical systems catastrophically fail at some point in the near future, do you currently have any hard evidence and clear documentation that you notified and discussed your complaints with a service advisor or manager in a timely manner? Document, document, document!

Be safe. I wish you all the best, and hope your vehicle's problems are soon corrected.
    Thanks for your views. I had planned on taking it in asap as it's more than a coincidence now.
  • rosietimmorosietimmo Member Posts: 4
    Does anyone have experience with the K&N Aircharge kit in the 4.0 V6 4 runner.
    Just installedi t, and my idle is at 1,700 RPM,
    when it should be 6-700 RPM.
    Can anyone aDVISE ME HOW TO lower idle?
    thanks.
  • sacstate1sacstate1 Member Posts: 189
    I believe the idle is computer controlled. Your ECU might take some adjusting through driving. That's pretty high for an idle though, mine runs a little higher on cold start up, which is normal. Does it settle down after a few minutes?

As for the previous posts, 2000+, including 2003+ 4Runners can be left engaged in 4H on dry pavement. Read the owners manual.
  • cdnbazzacdnbazza Member Posts: 4
    Regarding your radio problems. I have a 03 Sport V6 and my radio volume control (on the set and on the steering wheel) quit functioning as well as the in dash audio controls. I took it to my dealer and he said that this is a problem when the outside temp gets to around 2-3C. (Turning of the vehicle and turning it back on again when the inside of the vehicle has wrmed up will correct the problem in the short term). They replaced my amplifier without any problem and so far it has been functioning without any problem.

Hope this helps.

I also found that my CD tended to "Skip" after about an hours playing. Again I went into my local dealer, they said they hadn't heard of this before but they would replace it as soon as they get a replacement in.

I have been fortunate in having very helpfull service from my local dealer, even to the point of them fitting a grommet in the large hole on top of the pasenger side fender under the hood where the dirt from the wheel comes flying in and covers the engine compartment in dirt.

Guess I must be one of the lucky one to have such a helpfull dealer in the neighbourhood.
    Thanks for the feedback guys; I'm glad my chatter was of interest to somebody.

intermed99, it sounds like you're right about the function of the differential lock button. The manual could certainly explain this more clearly and directly, but they don't. Also, rereadng it I see that they make a distinction between slipping and skidding, though I didn't catch that the first time. If I read it right, "slipping" is what I would call wheelspin. "Skidding" is what I would call a vehicle spin, and it's the kind of thing the system is trying to prevent. When it thinks it's failed it beeps at you.

kheintz1, I don't usually use 4WD mode on dry pavement, but do engage it periodically, both to lubricate the driveline components and to see what it feels like in different situations. I've thought about the different sensations in the different driving modes, and wonder if it's mainly because in 2WD there will be more of a tendency for the rear end to squat a little on acceleration. Also, torque and pull on the front end (when driven) will tend to affect the steering a little. These sensations are pretty slight to me, but I'm pretty sure I'm not making this up. All in all, the vehicle drives just a little bit more like a car when in 2WD. I'm happy with it either way, and my recent experience will probably have me leaving it in 4WD more often in the winter months.

Well, now I'm hoping for a little more snow so I can give my wife the chance to experiment with this stuff!
  • rosietimmorosietimmo Member Posts: 4
    Sacstate
    I took it out for a spin of about 4 miles to see whether the idle would settle down once the engine got warm, but it stayed up around 1,700 RPM.
    I have a 200 mile, 4 hour road trip up into the Blue Ridge today, which may give the ECU Computer time to make its own adjustments- I hope.
    Thanks for your response. I will advise what happens to the idle, if anything, on Monday.
  • jfegerjfeger Member Posts: 38
    I live in STL and bought the 4WD V6. My thinking behind this was the extended driving we would be doing in 6-8 inches. Think about it, MODOT does not always have I44 and I270 cleared. I did not want my wife driving the 4Runner in the snow and try to switch lanes and have the back end come around on her. I know this can still happen in 4WD, but because some of the power is going to the front, the chances are not as high. Id get the 4WD.

Which dealers have you been looking at? I bought mine from Lou Fusz, but I hear that the new Jim Wolfe on manchester is supposed to be real nice.
  • terrafirmaterrafirma Member Posts: 212
    If you are in a snow area, I would just leave it in 4HI all winter. No need to switch back and forth. Maybe you or your wife would forget to engage it one day on the road.

Of course 4wd and 2wd changes the handling and driving characteristics. You are right. The power delivery affects handling.
    In 2wd you can steer with the rear wheels, which is why RWD is the the only way a sportscar is considered a real sportscar.

In 4WD, you just have ultimate grip. That works on road as well as off road. See Audi, Subaru and others.

Remember to never change from 2Hi to 4Hi or 4Lo when turning your wheel. Go straight while it switches!
  • cmo1cmo1 Member Posts: 2
    jfeger - I haven't look seriously at any dealer yet. I will probably pull the trigger on something in the next month. I got an internet quote from Seeger. How do you think you did at Lou Fusz?
  • hotelsevenhotelseven Member Posts: 33
    Stupid question here, but how much does driving in 4HI cost in fuel in relation to regular 2 wheel drive mode? Is there a big difference if you were to leave it in 4HI?

Thanks
  • trevor57trevor57 Member Posts: 18
    Good morning....I need your opinions. I have just agreed, in principle, on the price for a V6 Limited with the following options:

Leather
    JBL 3 in 1 6 CD with 10 speakers
    Floor mats and cargo cover
    Power sunroof
    XREAS
    Rear Spoiler with Center Mounted Stop Light
    Hood ProtectorAlloy Wheel locks
    Side Curtain Air Bags (Yes! they do exist on V6)

Price of $35,608 (INCLUDES Destination)but does not include NY Taxes and $95.00 doc fees

I basically visited dealership, knew what I wanted and knew vehicle cost inside and out. Left with offer from salesperson of $38,333. Told the guy he was smoking crack and left. He e-mailed me and I responded with a couple of internet quotes (namely CarsDirect and Carmax). Called again and offered the price I listed. He actually was a good guy, researching the hard to find V6 with side airbags and XREAS.

So after that long story, what do you folks think of price..fair or am I patting myself on the back too soon? THANKS.
  • grtanitegrtanite Member Posts: 1
    I am considering buying a 2000 4runner ltd. It has 100,000 miles on it and the dealer is asking $13,900 for it with a 50/50 gurantee on the drive train. If I don't take the gurantee the truck will cost $13,600. It looks like new,is a 1 owner,and checks out on carfax. Is this a good buy and should the high milege concern me?
  • glb5glb5 Member Posts: 39
    I bought an 04 v8 awd runner 12/31/03 from Burt Toyota in Denver, got what i thought was a very good deal because of the timing. I do have some observations after just a few days.

1: It snowed about 4 inches last night, so naturally i was interested in how well this rig would do on very slick streets. WOW this thing IS good.Early this morning i went to a deserted parking lot to try it. I had to try very hard to get the stability control to kick in because the traction is so good. even the abs was hard to check because it stopped so well, maybe because of the new tires which by the way are duelers which seem to be excellent when it is slick.

2: When i locked the center dif all i got was a blinking light on the dash until i applied the brakes and come to a complete stop, than pulled forward, the light stopped blinking an stayed on until i pressed the dif lock button again to disingage the dif. Tried this a few times, the system repeated as before. my question is this, is it normal to have to come to a complete stop than move forward a few feet to get the dif to lock?

3:When checking the engine oil level, if i check it in the morning in level garage after being left over night the level is about an inch above full, yet if i drive until engine is warm, park in the same spot and wait a few minutes the level on the dipstick is at the correct level i.e. dead nuts on the full mark. Is this normal, if so it sure is strange.

4:Where in the world is the auto transmission dipstick, the manual does not say and i can't seem to find it?

5: Has Toyota eliminated the fuel filter, there is no mention of it in the manual and i can't find it.
  • glb5glb5 Member Posts: 39
    BOUGHT A NEW 4 RUNNER A FEW DAYS AGO,DIDN'T TAKE MY DEALERS DEAL ON A WARRANTY BECAUSE OF HIS PRICE. I NEED SOME FEEDBACK FROM OTHERS ON HOW MUCH THEY PAID,WHICH ONE THEY CHOOSE AND WHAT DEALER THEY BOUGHT FROM. I REALIZE IT IS NOT NECESSARY TO PURCHASE A WARRANTY FROM THE DEALER I BOUGHT THE RUNNER FROM. I KNOW FROM PAST POSTINGS THERE IS A HUGE DISPARITY IN PRICS PAID. WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE ANY HELP. THANK YOU.
  • micksdad1micksdad1 Member Posts: 32
    Try toyotawarranty.com to start off with.
    glb5, the operating manual doesn't say anything about checking the transmission fluid level because they don't want ordinary customers attempting to do so. Since you're supposed to check the level with the engine running (after you run through the gears while stopped), they're apparently worried that folks will injure themselves or others. I guess I understand that concern, but I'm amazed at how few maintenance items are covered in the operating manual these days.

The repair manual set describes how to check the level, and notes that the engine/transmission should be up to operating temperature first. There is a drawing of the dipstick and tube, but it's not referenced to a specific spot on the transmission or engine. I can guess a little from the drawing, and it looks like it's probably on the right side of the engine, back near the firewall. It should be farther back than the oil dipstick, but should be similar in appearance.

As for the fuel filter, I can't find any mention of it in the repair manuals. The same was true with my previous Toyota, though it did indeed have a fuel filter. They never recommended changing it, and I never did (though I bought one anyway). I had no problems.

As for the differential lock, it doesn't seem that you need to come to a stop before engaging it. If you find that it will never lock without first stopping, perhaps you ought to get the dealer to look at it. As I understand it, one purpose of the lock is to be able to engage it on the fly, as soon as you begin to experience conditions that are confounding the traction control system.

As for the engine oil level measurement, they want you to measure the level with the engine warm, about 5 minutes after stopping the engine (per the repair manual). I've tried comparing this measurement to one made with the engine cold overnight, and sure didn't experience the major difference you did. But I've got a V6, and perhaps others with V8s can chime in with their own experience.
  • vman05vman05 Member Posts: 7
    Hi everyone. I was just wondering how people are finding the front leg room in these trucks. I noticed Consumer Reports lists the 4 Runners leg room at 40 inches which I think would be a bit tight since I'm 6'4". I did try a Honda CR-V which is also listed in CR as having 40" of leg room and I wished the seat could have moved back another inch or so. Surprising that a truck as big as the 4 Runner doesn't have a bit more room.

Also what's the problem with the V6's in these trucks? CR seems to be rating them poorly while the V8 gets an excellent rating

Thanks,Jim
  • tim_hooligantim_hooligan Member Posts: 143
    Hey all,

Been enjoying my SR5 V8 4WD for about 7 months now with nary a problem. Handled 12" of snow without a cough and hauls lots of cargo.

Just one question...my in-laws are buying a boat and being the nice guy I am, I offered to tow it for them. Also, we will be renting a U-Haul trailer and I was looking for some help on towing. I have the tow package and the tongue is sitting here. Where would I locate a suitable ball for towing? What class would most people use? The boat won't be more than an 18' (2-3k #), so I'm assuming a class III would be overkill.

If anyone can educate me on the towing, please help! Thanks!
  • bmw323isbmw323is Member Posts: 410
    I'm 6'3" and have plenty of leg room in front. In fact, I have the seat a couple of inches from the full back position for my most comfortable driving position. The real problem is head room even with the seat all the way lowered. I could not buy a 4Runner with a sunroof. While I don't like sunroofs anyway, I found it surprising that a mid size SUV w/sunroof couldn't accomodate someone my size, unless the seat was reclined furhter than comfortable for me. Hey Toyota, we Americans are growing in size - height and girth.
    I've noticed that every couple of days I have to pull up the level a few times to raise the seat back to the height I enjoy. It always lowers itself in time. Anyone else notice this?

Chris
    vman05, I don't think you can make much sense of the low reliability rating of the V6s. The messages in these forums seem to indicate they've been reliable (and I've had zero problems in 8 months), but there was a recall early in the year to fix a fuel pulsation damper and that could be part of the problem.

Search this and other 4Runner threads here and you'll see some discussion of the issue and speculation (by me and others) as to how the low rating came about. No real justification, though.
  • dsteveqdsteveq Member Posts: 4
    I bought my 7yr/100K mile extended warranty with ZERO deductible from an independent warranty provider with ~$1150 and an optional $195 Titanium package from the same provider, which covers tires, wheels (rims), windshield chips/cracks, small body dent/dings and locksmith/fuel/tow service just like AAA.

My dealer gave me a FREE 7yr/100k mile warranty, but requires me to do ALL maintenance at their place. You may have to compare not only the price, but also the coverage. I got a couple of quotes before I made the final decision. I can share more details if you are interested.

BTW, my runner is a 04 limited AWD. Good luck!
  • 3toyboy3toyboy Member Posts: 30
    glb5 - the dipstick is adjacent to the oil dipstick. Oil dipstick is the yellow one (as you have seen), tranny dipstick is the red one, with the locking feature.
    Well, the 03 Ltd 4WD is in the shop. I started the truck up for the drive home and about 2 minutes into my journey the 'VSC TRAC' and 'VSC OFF' lights both came on, and stayed on. This vehicle has never been in 4-Low, or had the differntial locked. The vehicle was in 4-Hi yesterday and for about 20 miles this morning, but was switched back to 2-Hi about two minutes before I got to work this morning. Nothing abnormal about the swithing, both were done under 30 mph while driving straight. Nothing was done during the drive home prior to the lights coming on. I did not experience any wheel slips that I know of that would have caused the VSC TRAC to trigger.

I drove straight to the dealership so they could see the lights on. They admitted it was weird but stated 'anything' could cause that. One guy even said having a loose gas cap could do it. Im scepticle. I know a loose gas cap can cause an engine light to come on because of fuel system pressure, but kill VSC, come on. I am in a Camry LE loaner now, not nearly as fun as the 4runner, but it does have some get-up-and-go.
  • terrafirmaterrafirma Member Posts: 212
    maybe some electronic glitch? Maybe nothing went wrong except the light?
    Glad you got it to the dealer with the light still on. Tell us what comes of it just in case something similar happens to others.
  • smg1062smg1062 Member Posts: 54
    Havent seen anything on AUTOSPIES.COM or any other site on the 05 4runners. Anyone know if Toyota will update the models, not body-wise, but options like offering NAV with 3rd row seats, or 3rd row seats with ANY color you want, or the choice of NOT having a sunroof. Toyota kind of got silly with their limitations on options this year. I'm waiting to see what the 05's bring to the table.
  • likalarlikalar Member Posts: 108
    Tim Hooligan posted:
    <<Also, we will be renting a U-Haul trailer and I was looking for some help on towing. I have the tow package and the tongue is sitting here. Where would I locate a suitable ball for towing?>>

A U-Haul rental center is where I got the hitch ball. They also stock the trailer wiring adapter (the one Toyota should include but doesn't) that replaces the old trailer harness. Take the tongue with you when you shop for the ball, as the shank diameters vary widely, as does the ball size. 1 and 7/8" and 2" are common to most trailer types you mentioned. Auto parts store sell a 2 ball kit that lets you easily convert from one ball size to the other. Good luck.
    Larry
  • azrunnerazrunner Member Posts: 16
    Yes, I too have found the readjustment in the driver seat on my 2003 V8 Sport to do exactly as you describe and was curious whether or not it was a "characteristic".

Irritating!

Okay, maybe you can help me out here. Does your rear hatch seem to be tougher to raise after a year? I have to PUSH mine up (and sometimes it sinks). Seems like it sprung up when new. Do you remember?
  • newswordsnewswords Member Posts: 12
    Had a very weird event happen: closed the driver's door with the engine running and all doors locked. Had the remote in my hand, but it wouldn't activate. Just was dead in my hand (this had happened before - but not with the key in the ignition). Luckily, I was near my house and was able to run back for a spare key which I used to manually unlock the car. Turned off the engine - on restart everything was back to normal. Tried to lock myself out now to test - but the anti-lockout feature worked and prevented me from locking out. Fear that this could happen again at a most inopportune moment. Any ideas what's causing this?
  • pat84pat84 Member Posts: 817
    My 03 V-8 Sport's rear hatch works the same as it did new. It was 1 year old on New Years Eve with a little over 15K miles. I'd take it in to the dealer to get it fixed.
    In post 9104 I commented about my VSC TRAC and VSC OFF both coming on and staying lit. The dealer witnessed this since I drove it over immediatly for them to see. I got a call this morning stating they need to replace the VSC computer. This will be replaced Friday, since they had to order it. I am going to pick the vehicle up tonight. When I take it back in to have the computer replaced I will keeo you all updated to the results. Also, I requested the Sunroof/Headliner rattle gets inspected as well. The dealer mentioned the TSB and said no problem.
  • jaredmsdjaredmsd Member Posts: 127
    This vacation I took a trip from here in San Diego to Bend, Oregon to go skiing at Mt. Bachelor. Here are my thoughts on the 2000-mile adventure (750 each way plus daily driving to the mountain).

First off, I have a 2003 Sport Ed. V6, with Dunlops, that previously only had 4000 miles on it.

The highway driving, which including curvy roads, long straights, and lots of hills, was impeccable. The XREAS kept me flat in the corners, and I never lacked power when passing on the two-lane highway 97. The roar from the engine when you let it loose is pretty impressive considering I'm use to the silent clicky purr of everyday driving.

The snow driving was also quite impressive. Considering Mt. Bachelor got over 50 inches of snow while I was there, I got a lot of test time. At some points I was using my front bumper as a snowplow and I still was plowing through (in 4-lo granted). At one point, coming out of the driveway, I went wide and put my front end into a hidden ditch; I first tried backing out in 4-hi with no luck at small revs (I didn't want to gun it and lurch) so I put it in 4-lo and it came out in a second.

The most impressive moment from the vehicle was also my most exciting driving experience of my life (not good exciting, heart attack exciting). I was driving back from the mountain on a small two-lane road with snowplow snow (ice) banks on either side. I came up to a part in the road with a few cars parked on my left side along the road and a large hill extending out from the street. At this same time, little did I know that coming down that hill was a group of tubers who linked their tubes together to get more speed and excitement (they got it alright!). Since it was snowy and icy on the road, I was primarily looking straight, so I didn't see these people coming, and just at the wrong moment, these tubers hit the snow bank at the end of the hill that was intended to stop them, but instead they had too much speed and launched off the embankment. They ended up clearing the left lane while still in the air, and landing (guess where) dead in my lane. I now, about 15-20 feet away, going roughly 35mph (speed limit 50mph on this road) have three people right in front of me laying down. I slam on the brakes and thankfully don&#146;t think about my truck and steer it hard to the right and take it directly into the snow/ice bank on the right. I missed all three of them, but not by much. I was so close that I lost them from my view under the hood. When I hit the bank, a loud crunch let out and next thing I knew, I was up high on three wheels. Long story short(er) I was thanked for about 10 minutes for my reaction time from the wives of these idiots, (the would be victims didn't say a word, only stared at nothing, probably reviewing the life that just flashed before their eyes), I then frightfully checked the front of the truck (that was buried in the ice) only to find that there was no damage! What? Yes, it's true. After seeing about 4 trucks hit banks that week, mine was the only one that I saw that didn't dent. Instead the tire hit the bank first, climbed it and the skid plate took the rest. Unfortunately though, it ended up that I did scratch the cladding and I put a small crack (maybe 3/4 of inch long in the edge of the wheel well cladding). I didn't see this until I washed the car, and I didn't get the people's info, but all's good, I can live with a little crack. I backed out/off of the bank in 4-lo and noticed my quite impressive 4runner print in the side of the ice, and I drove home to let the poor truck thaw out (there was about 4 pounds of snow in the skid plate). When I actually hit the brakes and turned right, I could not believe that the truck didn't skid out, it gripped the road completely and took the ice like a champ. I know my old blazer or the suburban behind me would've ran right over those people. So, thank one driver and a great system for three lives. I know that otherwise them and I would've had a quite unpleasant holiday to say the least.

So, great brakes, skid control and skid plates. Oh, and I am so so so happy that I have the cladding, it know the metal would&#146;ve dented in a second if I hit it going that speed. Score 1 for the cladding.

Hope everyone else&#146;s holidays were lest eventful.

-Jared
    Grey cladding rocks!
  • oldnavycdroldnavycdr Member Posts: 17
    I too have experienced the audio "freeze up" on the JBL system noted by others. This has occurred only one time and cleared the next time the engine was started. Given this one time event I assumed that the dealer would not replace the audio system if they could not replicate the problems but it would appear this isn't uncommon. I've had these higher end radios show random "quirks" early only to go stone dead after the warranty runs out. Advice?

Another annoying problem I'm just now noticing (1,800 miles) is the front seat seems to move slightly and makes a discernible "pop" which is felt more than heard. This occurs on the left side of the sitting portion when the brakes are applied/hard decelleration. It can be manually reproduced by hand or rocking in the seat. Could this be a function of the seat position controls or looseness of the seat on it's mounts? Picky stuff, but for $30K and smelling like a carton of rotten eggs half the time I thought I should make the most of my trip back to the dealer.
  • slandyslandy Member Posts: 46
    The V8 5 speed does not have a dip stick. You must check the fluid in the same manner in which you would check the fluid in a manual transmission. Which is of course by the fill hole on the side of the transmission. Toyota states that you should never have to add fluid. Kinda like brake fluid etc, if ever have to add brake fluid or coolant then you have a problem somewhere.

As far as the fuel filter is concerned. There is a fuel filter. It is part of the actual pump assembly which is inside the tank. It is a life long filter. I have 100k miles on my 01 Lexus Rx300 and I have yet to have any problems with fuel delivery.
  • kscotttkscottt Member Posts: 18
    I've got the same thing happening in my 04 SE. It hasn't bothered me enough yet to do anything about it, but I think I recall reading something on these boards about it a couple of months ago. I think they had a solution of some sort, I just haven't bothered to check. Search the 4Runner forums (incl. the problems and solutions one) and I think you'll find something.
    Hrm,
    I probably missed this and I am way late, but I just now noticed that there was a TSB on the sulfur smell thing.

EG003-03 FEB 03 Exhaust System - Sulfur Smell

Shoot me for repeating old data. :)
    PS - Shoot me for cross-posting to the sulfur forum.
  • bmw323isbmw323is Member Posts: 410
    If you are speaking of the lower seat, I also have the slight wiggle. I ususally feel it when turning sharply or quickly. Told the dealer and they said that is normal for the seat because of the height control and the way Toyota mounted it to the chassis. Not that big of a deal, but it shouldn't be normal for a good seat.
  • beanctrbeanctr Member Posts: 99
    SMG1062 - I agree with your assessment of how Toyota has decided to package their options on the 04 4runners. You say silly, I say they have gone off the deep end. Not that they did a bang up job of packaging the options on the 03's, but I fail to understand why they did what they did in 04. My primary complaint: why don't they offer side curtain airbags on the 04 SR5 or Sport models after offering them in 03 (this is the way it is in Northern Calif., not sure about other parts of U.S.) . I can't afford to pay $36K -$40K for the limited model just so I can get side curtain airbags. I love the 4runner, but my next vehicle is not going to be without this safety feature.
    slandy, are you sure about the lack of a transmission dipstick on the V8s? The V6s have them and the repair manual for the V8 shows them (both the stick and the tube it goes in).

BTW, I had my wife drive the 4Runner in a snow-slick parking lot today, both 2WD and 4WD, to see how she did with the traction and stability control. She's experienced in snow, but not at all with 4WD or traction or stability control. She had no problem at all, everything was comfortable and predictable for her, and she need no specific training, except which knob to use for 4WD. It was useful, though, for her to experience the sounds and sensations of these systems. In the end, she found it to be a lot of fun, and wants to go out and do it again!
    I've checked my 5 speed auto tranny using the dipstick. Hard to find, but it is there.
  • kscotttkscottt Member Posts: 18
    i've heard a few of you mention the repair manual. how does one go about purchasing one of those? i've looked online and at my local auto parts stores and they dont have the 03-04 4runners available?

thanks.
  • toyboxxtoyboxx Member Posts: 150
    The best one (and pricy) is the Toyota one and you can get that from your Toyota parts department. I believe it is around $200. You can also find these on ebay for cheaper.