Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• yabedudeyabedude Member Posts: 26
    I bought a new one via Ebay for $105. Search for the seller known as "jcmanuals1"

Here's a current auction for that manual:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&cate- gory=34233&item=2452348776
    I've had my 4Runner < 2 months, but no issues with rear hatch.
    Blasted thing did it again Monday night.

I think I may be onto something. I was trying to change the way the door locks when the transmission is put into "D" -- it locks the doors. According to the manual, we have to press the power door lock one way or another for 5 seconds to change that mode. To change it to unlock when put into Park for example. I had tried this again (in vain) on Monday night, and immediately after starting the engine, the radio was froze. Power off and restart reset it.

I know that I've tried to change the way the locks work in conjunction a few times in the past and I'm beginning to think the two are linked.

How about you? Did you try to change the way your locks work around the same time as the radio froze? Seems like a bug in the computer program.

BTW, If anyone can explain exactly how the door lock automatic function can be changed, it would be appreciated. I followed earlier posts to a "T", but no luck. Tried with no key in ignition; with key in column, but not started; key turned to accessory node; and lastly with the engine running. All efforts fail. Either my computer system is hooped or I'm missing some simple step. Maybe it's time to visit another dealer.

Chris
  • xgridxgrid Member Posts: 7
    Hi, I'm going in for my first scheduled maintenance. Are there any specific checks I should request in addition to the usual oil change?

I'm also looking for a dependable, experienced service center in the New York city area. Anyone have any experiences with good Toyota service centers? My original dealer is about 75miles away and I wanted to find another dealer closer to home if possible. Thanks.

-km
  • kscotttkscottt Member Posts: 18
    this may be a dumb question, but do they change much on these manuals per model year. i know the 03s and 04s are pretty much the same, but will they come out with an 04 manual that has different info?

basic question: if i have an 04, is the 03 manual the one i need?

thanks again
  • coranchercorancher Member Posts: 232
    The main Toyota repair manual set (2 volumes) lists at well over $200 for the V8, and you'll need a V6 supplement manual (about another $100) if you've got a V6. It looks like all the V6 info wasn't included in the V8 manuals because that engine wasn't introduced until a couple of months into the model year. Maybe the situation is different in 2004.
    It's tough to find them discounted much new, as the markup on them is apparently lower than most parts.

kscott, I think very little has changed in the vehicles between 2003 and 2004 model years, so the changes in repair manuals should be similarly slight. If they've wrapped the V6 info into the main set of manuals and done away with the supplement, that may make the total cost lower for V6 owners.

BTW, it seems that Toyota doesn't actually produce these manuals themselves. They contract with a 3rd party company for the writing and production of the manuals, and then everybody (including dealers) buy the manuals from/through this 3rd party. My guess it that it allows Toyota to shed the whole writing operation and employees, and shift the cost. Now the entire cost of writing repair manuals is broken out from the cost of designing the vehicles, and this is why these repair manuals are so expensive.
  • dogwingdogwing Member Posts: 11
    Have a 2003 4Runner, SR5, V6, 4X4... I am experiencing a constant rattle in the driver's side shoulder belt retractor unit that is mounted in the door pillar. When I hit a bump, it gives an annoying rattle. I can press on the unit with my hand and I get NO noise. Any suggestion or solutions? All help will be appreciated....
  • scootnyscootny Member Posts: 8
    I have a '03 V8 Limited and have noticed that after starting the engine and attempting to move off slowly, I hear the engine revving but the vehicle hardly moves.

This has occurred a few times. I don't want to jam on the gas out of fear that the vehicle will just rapidly accelerate and I may hit something.

Any ideas?
  • sacstate1sacstate1 Member Posts: 189
    "Have a 2003 4Runner, SR5, V6, 4X4... I am experiencing a constant rattle in the driver's side shoulder belt retractor unit that is mounted in the door pillar. When I hit a bump, it gives an annoying rattle. I can press on the unit with my hand and I get NO noise. Any suggestion or solutions? All help will be appreciated...."

See your dealer, that is a warranty item. I wouldn't attempt a fix yourself for such an important safety feature. Does the belt 'grip or tighten' when you start the car and 'release' you when you turn it off? That is part of the SRS system working.
    "I have a '03 V8 Limited and have noticed that after starting the engine and attempting to move off slowly, I hear the engine revving but the vehicle hardly moves.
    This has occurred a few times. I don't want to jam on the gas out of fear that the vehicle will just rapidly accelerate and I may hit something.
    Any ideas?"

My '02 did it and my '03 does it sometimes. It is really noticeable at between 10-30mph, like in a parking lot. If you drive up to a speed bump, slow down, roll over and then press the gas to accelerate, the engine races and the vehicle doesn't move to the speed in conjunction with the RPM's. Kinda like it is gear hunting. I've written it off as Toyota specific. Same scenario as in the morning the tranny will hold 1st gear longer than usual to warm up the emission equipment, irritating, but Toyota typical.

Also, the 4th generation has a 'learning' transmission. Meaning, the tranny will develop a pattern, or mean, of your driving habits and corresponding speed, RPM, etc. If you vary your driving habit, it takes the tranny some time to learn the new style of driving.
  • rogers12rogers12 Member Posts: 140
    This also might just be the radiator fan which takes a short time after start-up to disengage the fan clutch and makes considerable noise - like engine noise.
  • glb5glb5 Member Posts: 39
    Thank to all who replyed to my question reguarding the location of the atf dipstick. After looking in the engine bay until i was blue in the face i got under the truck to look for the tube in which the dipstick would be inside of, guess what no tube that i could find. Possibly because my truck is a vary fresh one built 11/03 it indeed does not have a atf dipstick. I thought i was actually going crazy not being able to find this thing until i read post 9115 from SLANDY, i do believe he is correct in that no dipstick exists. Maybe the latest 04s are different from the 03s. Thanks again for all the replys.
    This afternoon, I tried out my theory about holding down the power lock button
    for 5 seconds (press on driver lock button, pressing towards rear of vehicle) and the radio did lock up again! I was in a bit of a hurry, but I don't think I had the ignition turned to ACC.

I've written to my dealer to see what they can do about this.

It will be interesting if others, who also had locked radio controls, would try this theory and report back.

Chris
  • jfegerjfeger Member Posts: 38
    Well, in reply to my failed VSC computer, it cost a little over $1000 to replace (covered in warranty). Guess what, I had ther sunroof tsb done, and they have grease all over the top of my vehicle now. Oh, and they were kind enough to break my fuel door lever when replacing the VSC computer.

Anyone know a good service center in St. Louis?
  • kheintz1kheintz1 Member Posts: 213
    My '03 4Runner Ltd. is 4 months old and has ~8300 miles on it. At each 5000 mile service interval, I'm asking my dealer to also lubricate the propeller shafts, U-joints, and slip yokes with lithium grease. I'm also rotating the tires every 5000 miles.

And for what it's worth, I had my first oil change done at 1000 miles, and then again at 5000 miles, etc. Finally, at every 3000 mile interval I'm adding a ~23 ounce bottle of Chevron Techron to a tank of fuel, in order to help keep the fuel system and injectors clean.
    "i do believe he is correct in that no dipstick exists. Maybe the latest 04s are different from the 03s. Thanks again for all the replys."

I went out to the garage, popped the hood and my V8, 5spd. build date, 02/03, 4Runner has a transmission dipstick about one half inch to the left and rear of the engine oil dipstick. Both dipsticks are coated yellow, the tranny dipstick has the typical locking mechanism on the handle.

Maybe you don't have a transmission? j/k
    I read somewhere, about a year ago, about the new 4Runner not providing a way to check your 5spd. tranny oil. The new Ford f-150 has a new transmission that never needs the oil changed, so if Ford has that technology, anything is possible with Toyota leading the automotive manufacturing pack.

The tranny dipstick was so obvious that if you don't see one, I'd call your dealer to run a VIN check and verify you don't need to check it. You'd hate to inadvertantly burn up the tranny by lack of maintenance or observation of fluid quality.
  • hotelsevenhotelseven Member Posts: 33
    I have just noticed recently that when I first start my 03 Runner that the center dash speaker hisses loudly for a second or two. It only seems to happen when it is cold out (It was -8 thismorning). Another thing also happened with my radio today.....It was working fine then for some unknown reason I was not able to adjust the volume (on the steering wheel or manually with the knob)....Anyone have any idea why these 2 things would be happening?

(It is the JBL 10 Speaker system)

Thanks.
    Is the radio in the 'on' position when your start the engine? Or, do you turn the radio on seconds after startup?

At -8, wouldn't you hiss too? Might be a startup power surge causing the semi-frozen speaker element to rattle and hiss? Battery is working hard at -8.
    "and they have grease all over the top of my vehicle now." Do you mean interior headliner?

Mine was delivered like that! That grey moleskin fabric headliner is a moisture, stain magnet. My biggest complaint in the vehicle.

BTW..the dealers in NC are worse. They actually do malicious body damage to your car when you decline an estimate and the car is in their possession for the estimate. :(
  • brewsterxbrewsterx Member Posts: 1
    I also have an 11/03 build date V8 (4WD Ltd. I also can find no dipstick.
    Yes the radio is left on so when I crank the ignition it is already on...And -8 is not really all that cold for here in Ontario. Its only about 17 degrees fahrenheit. Ive never had a stereo do that before, certainly not a "premium" system. Is that normal for that to happen?
  • xgridxgrid Member Posts: 7
    kheintz1, thank you for your response. I will ask my dealer to perfom the same checks and thanks for the tip on getting the wheels rotated and using chevron.

Anyone in the newyork city are have any suggestions on a reliable Toyota service center? Thanks.

-ken
  • 4rnr4rnr Member Posts: 25
    I noticed the same thing with JBL system in my Ltd. V8 build date(02/03). The radio is always off before starting up so and it's easy to hear. It occurs the moment I turn to ACC. I put my ear close to the speakers in the door and there's a faint hiss coming from them as well but not quite as loud as from the dash speaker. The hiss is still present when I turn off the surround sound to.
  • pat84pat84 Member Posts: 817
    According to my temperature gauge, it was 14 degrees F this morning ( -10 C). My 10 speaker system didn't hiss (I keep my radio "On" when I turn the ignition On / Off) I have never had any problems with any radio controls. I live in the DC area. This is about as cold as it gets here.
  • doctdoct Member Posts: 20
    A friend of mine ask me to post. She seems to have a brake problem. At temps below zero F within the first 10 brakes after starting the brake pedal will refuse to depress and will only respond to frantic pumping, then the brakes will work fine. This happened last year at below 0, and toyota said they never heard of it. I assume the vehicle is not warmed up when this occurs.

Any ideas of similar experiences? thanks doct
  • toyboxxtoyboxx Member Posts: 150
    I'm just guessing but maybe the brake fluid has become contaminated with water or something. I don't think it would cost to much to have the brake fluid flushed and replaced.

The only other thing I can think of is something to do with the brake master cylinder.
  • oldnavycdroldnavycdr Member Posts: 17
    No hiss in mine so far and we have a pretty good cold snap going on now. The question put to me was whether I experienced the volume freeze up after having tried to reprogram the door locks. Answer: not to my knowledge but I might have kept the unlock switch on too long while exiting or something. I've only experienced this once and wouldn't ordinarily mind but I've had past experience with fluky radios that later failed completely (out of warranty, of course) so I'm a bit leery. I'm sure a replacement isn't cheap. And frankly this JBL 10 speaker isn't that great.
    I think the 10 speaker sound system is great. It takes a bit to get it tuned. I have my bass on "4" my mid range on "3" and high on "4", I have the fade on "3" to to the rear, and surround
    "On". It sure beats the 6 speaker POS that was in the EX Honda Odyssey I traded in on the 4Runner. It beats the old 1MC system. too.

pat84 - shellback 1974.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,149
    A reporter is looking to interview someone in the Portland, OR metro area who owns an SUV and is feeling quite proud of its capabilities in the city's unusual weather. Please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com no later than Friday, January 9.
    Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• 69mach169mach1 Member Posts: 60
    The JBL radio system in my 2003 Sport is the worst premium system I've seen in any car. Most of the sound comes from the center speaker on the dash, has very little bass for a sytem with a subwoffer and I'm constantly having to adjust the volume because of wind noise at different speeds.

I've experimented with the bass to set to five, tryied different fade settings, turned surround on and off, but my results are mediocre at best.

I've complained to my dealer about this, I get the usual "it's normal" reply.
    Perhaps you have a bad sub woofer. I don't understand about adjusting the volume for wind noise.
     If you can find "Low Rider" by Eric Burden and the group "War" play it and crank up the volume. It is a good system test. Actually, the Black Watch Pipes and Drum Marches are good system tests, too. High volume is appropriate for the Black Watch, too.
    My system passes both tests.
    Did you turn the radio on during the test drive?

It is what it is...why would the dealer be responsible to do something about a radio that is not broke?
  • mrwhipplemrwhipple Member Posts: 378
    You might try bringing down the bass quite a bit. It should have less of a low end rumble and blend the fade slightly bias to the front.
    Further to the strange stereo hisses and locking volume controls, now something else has gone screwy with this vehicle. Im driving home from work last night and all of a sudden the VCS TRAC and TRAC OFF lights come on for no apparent reason. Again it was a cold night (-19 celcius) but hey, I live in Canada and thats not abnormal. I stopped the vehicle and turned the ignition off. Then I turned it back on and the lights went off.....The manual says to contact the dealer if those lights come on while driving. Anybody have a similar problem or know what caused it?

By the way, I wrote a very detailled letter to Toyota Head office regarding the NUMEROUS problems I have had with this vehicle (still under 14000km on it) and they told me that they were not prepared to do anything about it. I advised them they would lose a high end Toyota customer forever and they did not seem to care one bit. Nice. Just today I sent a similar letter to the dealership hoping to get a more suitable response (not holding my breath.....).
    Is Toyota responsible for fixing items they have listed as TSB's or is that up to the owner to do themselves?
    Toyota will do TSB's even after warranty runs out.
    "Again it was a cold night (-19 celcius)"

Remember, Toyota drove the new 4Runner to Mt. Everest....and back.
  • jfegerjfeger Member Posts: 38
    Hotelseven, as far as the VSC TRAC and VSC OFF at the same time, mine *JUST* did that Monday. I was at about 9500 miles and it was not REAL cold, about 20-40 F. I was in 2HI on my 03 v6 and had the engine on for about 3 minutes when it happened. The end result - a new VSC computer from the dealership. I posted this back on Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday. :)
    I couldn't agree more.....This is supposed to be a "rugged" vehicle so I am suprised that the "cold" here in Ontario seems to be wreaking havoc with my Runner.....I'm sure the temperatures on Everest where a hell of a lot colder than they are here!
    Thanks for the info regarding the TSB's, but I just need a little further clarification. For example, they list the Sulfur smell from the exhaust as a TSB, yet they have declined to do anything about it. So does that mean that they will fix "some" of the problems listed as TSB's or just the ones they are able to fix?

Thanks again.
    In message #9071, I got on my soapbox and voiced my opinions regarding how critically important I believe it is to find a highly reputable dealership/service shop to do business with. After the initial sale, it's the quality, professionalism, and level of customer care of the service shop that will most influence one's ownership experience.

Before I made the final decision to buy a new 4Runner, I visited Toyota's web site on many occasions, and I paid close attention to the section that provided a list of the local dealerships, which in my case can be found here: http://www.toyota.com/toyota/LoadDealerSearchResults?expand_butto- n=collate&forwardToTemplate=/html/shop/dealers/results/dealer- _results.jsp When I then clicked on each of those dealerships, I saw that Toyota Direct has won Toyota's President's Award for the 4th time, and along with their strong "word-of-mouth" reputation, this honor really caught my attention.

It seems that many of you have perhaps bought your vehicles from a dealership that offered you the lowest price, and if that dealership subsequently proves to have lousy service, you may then begin taking your vehicle to other local dealerships in the hope of finding better service. While this might be a good strategy in some cases, keep in mind that your vehicle's service and complaint history (as well as a given dealership service center's invoiced comments, etc.) are recorded and documented in a database that will follow and track the vehicle's history, regardless of which dealership service center you next choose to do business with.

I've learned from prior experience with Ford dealerships that regardless of the validity of one's complaints about a vehicle, the act of repeatedly bouncing from one dealership service center to the next (in search of satisfaction and good service) may lead to the creation of a service and complaint history in which certain "red flags" might be subtly implied about the OWNER of the vehicle, rather than about the vehicle itself. In other words, the more we hire-and-fire various dealership service centers in our search for satisfaction, the more the service database might covertly or overtly paint us as being unreasonable, insufferable, and undesirable customers who seem impossible to satisfy.

As I said in message #9071, I'm fortunate to have a dealership that has thus far offered outstanding service and customer CARE and ATTENTION, but I also agreed to pay this dealership a higher price for my '03 4Runner Limited. Among those of you who've had to endure Toyota dealerships that don't seem to give a damn about you or your vehicle, I hope you can find a better dealership to do business with.

I'm saddened to hear that many of you are receiving shoddy service and care from your local dealerships, such as receiving your vehicle back from service in a filthy and/or damaged condition; or being told that an obvious problem is "normal" and nothing can be done; or feeling as though you must write a letter of complaint directly to Toyota Customer Service, rather than being able to rely on your chosen dealer's service manager to be an advocate for you when it comes to appealing directly to Toyota for help.
  • slandyslandy Member Posts: 46
    A tsb is issued from Toyota when toyota had discovered a problem in the vehicle and they have discovered a fix. Tsb's were first just info to help the technician correct a customers complaint. With all the customers access through the web and independent shops, they have become more open to people.
    When a tsb is issued for a problem, they issue it by the vin#, if your vehicle falls into that range, and you experiencing that problem , then they will try to correct it. Toyota does not perform tsb's after the warranty for free. It is not a recall, that is a totally different animal. It states very clearly on Toyota's tsb's they will only reimburse the dealer if it is still under the manufactures warranty. I have access to toyota's official tsb's if anybody needs info.
    Thanks for the clarification slandy. So how does one go about finding out which TSB's relate to their personal VIN #? I note that the TSB's have a number (ie. AC003-03) and an issue date, but where can one find out if their VIN falls within the appropriate time to be fixed?
  • nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    It's been about 0 degrees F here in Boston the last few days. I've had no problems with my 4Runner. I would be surprised if the problems that you are having are due to the cold.
  • slandyslandy Member Posts: 46
    Hotelseven--If you are having a specific problem, then call your local dealer and ask them if there is a tsb regarding that issue that your car would fall into. If you would like I can look it up for you. Email me your vehicles info. 03 or 04 v6 or v8 etc and the vin. Email is slandy2996@aol.com
  • woodyr1woodyr1 Member Posts: 142
    We had temperatures here in British Columbia, Canada between -27 C and -35 C earlier this week(-35 C is about the same as -35 F). My 04 4Runner V8 performed well, although fuel economy was quite poor. The only issue was that my tire pressure warning light illuminated, and I later determined that tires were at 27 psi rather than 32 psi - inflated and lamp went out.
    Oddly enough, I was on my way to my dealership this morning to sign over the extended warranty on my Ford Explorer trade-in, and for the first time I found that the audio system in my 4Runner Limited wouldn't play. The navigation system worked fine, and when I tapped the steering wheel-mounted "mode" button, the screen would display audio playback mode, but there was no sound. (I didn't notice any other electrical problems.) Since I've read of similar accounts at this forum, I tried shutting the vehicle off, then back on again, and the problem went away, and hasn't yet reoccurred.

I then stopped by the service center, described the problem, and the first thing the service advisor did was to check the 4Runner's TSB files. He said he's not yet received any TSBs on this issue, nor had he yet heard of this problem until I mentioned it. He offered to take my vehicle in for service and to put me in a loaner vehicle right then and there, but I said I'd rather wait and see if the problem reoccurs before proceeding further.

I've otherwise been quite pleased with my vehicle's audio system, which I believe is one of the better stock systems currently available. I listen to a lot of public radio and AM, and I find the radio to sound quite good. I'm also very pleased with the sound of the CD/DVD player, tape deck, amplifier, and speakers. My truck's sound system has thus far been very quiet (i.e., no obvious hiss, amplifier hum, speaker buzzing/rattling, etc.) and it sounds very musical and non-fatiguing, with great dynamic range, transient response, stereo separation, and clarity. The DVD/CD player is quite musical as well, without the annoying hardness, obvious digital "clock-jitter", digital clipping, and edginess ("digititis") heard with lesser CD/DVD players.

The premium sound system's speakers and subwoofer seem to do a very good job of resolving and reproducing the low, middle, and high frequencies; and the critically important midrange frequencies seem especially well reproduced considering that this is, after all, a car/SUV audio system.
    By any chance, did you you try changing the way the power locks work in conjunction with the "P"ark gear? Did you hold down the power lock button for 5+ seconds in the last day?

Chris
    Has Toyota increased the front ride height on the '04 models? My '03 sits raked slightly to the front, but in noticing a new Runner the other day in the parking lot it seemed to sit 'level'.

Anyone else notice this? I know many people have complained about the lack of ground clearance and the raked stance. Maybe I am seeing things...
  • loudog2loudog2 Member Posts: 83
    does mobil 1 make a oil filter for the 2004 4-runner v6 or v8?? Plus does anyone know the best oil filter to use? Every oil & lube place here uses fram. I read a study that said fram is the worst filter on the market. Mobil 1 is the best followed by amsoil. Don't want to order on-line if I don't have to, but that is the only way to get the amsoil filter(I think).