Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Toyota Prius Prices Paid and Buying Experiences

Comments

• pageuppageup Member Posts: 8
    The Prius is a great car, no doubt. I think most buyers however tend to buy a car they fall in love with at first sight and (IMO) the Prius is kind of like the smart girl you have to get to know for her looks and her mind :D

Thanks for verifying the details too, it is really good to know that there are dealers who can sell it for $21k and still make it work out for both parties. Do you think they may have made up some of the ground on price through financing? If that is the case I may need to re-think my financing and at least let the dealer try to shop it.

All the offers I have so far are without dealer financing or a trade. With the fees rolled in, the best price I have been offered here so far is around $23k (not including any options or paint). When I put $22k out there as a counter to several dealers I was flat out told to have a nice day, but I have not been shopping for 4 weeks like you have, probably a week now.
  • yepigotapriusyepigotaprius Member Posts: 3
    My APR was 2.04 (Maguire got me the rate, it was lower than what I had from my bank). I'm not sure if they could make much money off of that financing. Even though I was looking for 4 weeks, I was getting the same responses from dealers as you are... they would not go below $23k (and I cast a wide net....between Virginia and Massachusetts...so I had at least one or two dealers in each state who were emailing and calling.) When I was there buying my car, there was a Prius being shipped to Chicago because the buyer was still saving money somehow. I think they are able to do very low prices because they must be doing high volume. [But all of the dealerships that I was in contact with are high volume, so I don't know why the difference in the sales approach.]
  • lovesiennalovesienna Member Posts: 13
    How many miles on the car when you picked it up? What color is it? I live in NYC, and is about 4.5 hours to get there. My minivan needs about 20 gallons of gas round trip (wife will drive it back). So about $100 for the gas and tolls.
  • happy2bme2happy2bme2 Member Posts: 1
    That is an awesome price for the prius II and III. Did you work with a specific person? If so, what is his or her name? I will plan a trip this weekend to pick up a prius.

I can only hope the deal is still going on.
    Awesome info Yep! Thanks for sharing it. I noticed that yesterday they still had the $20999 advertized at Maguire's web site, but it has since been taken down and there are now no specials shown - now I am seeing banners for the Nationwide Clearance Event on most dealer sites. It may be a month end deal, and being past mid-year should help too.
  • kimmierosekimmierose Member Posts: 2
    We bought a 2012 Prius hatchback in May of this year. It's the base model; the price included floor/rear mats and destination charge, but does not include the sales tax. It was just under $22,000. I'd called other dealers and two online brokers. No one came close. No one even came under $23K. One of the online dealers didn't believe the price and said, "If you really get the car for that price, you should buy two and turn around and sell one for a profit." I live in the SF Bay Area, btw. Hope this helps. Sunnyvale Toyota was the seller.
    When I calculate (what I believe is) the dealer cost from the invoice price and include the destination and TDA, I get just over $23k. That makes me wonder if the $21k deals are only going to be seen from highest volume dealers, possibly looking to move enough cars at the end of a month to make some sales bonus number - so taking a loss on a couple cars may make sense. Unless there are some hidden incentives out there for the Prius (but I have not seen any yet). I have seen 2 ads now for the prius at $21k, but they are not in my state, so these are definitely legit deals. I am struggling to understand how the $21k deals are possible though.
  • kimmierosekimmierose Member Posts: 2
    Sunnyvale Toyota identifies itself as a volume dealer. They get a big, big bonus at the end of the year I'm told, so they'll sacrifice some cars to make numbers. The other dealers I visited in the South and East Bay never came close.

That said, what all Bay Area dealers have going against them is the high, high cost of real estate, which I suspect they pass along to buyers. I considered trying to buy in some of the more depressed areas in the state, but I didn't want to travel so far.

Location and timing seem to play a big part. Maybe toward the end of the model year???
  • catalina56catalina56 Member Posts: 18
    Just had a counter offer from a Phoenix AZ dealer for a 2012 Camry, XLE, 4 Cyl. loaded with navigation, back up camera and blind spot monitors. Her offer was $28,000. plus tax, title and license. A good deal?. She wants $500. to hold the car which arrives on August 13th?

catalina56
  • astylesastyles Member Posts: 8
    edited August 2010
    I had a deal for 20,388 today which included a 1,500 bonus if I were to trade in the car. If I didn't trade the car, it would have been 21,888.

Well, they would have made up for the loss on the car because they offered me $9,000 for my 2006 4Runner with 47,000 miles on it. The car is in great condition except it was in one accident in the past, but has a clean title. Even Carmax appraised the car at $13,000, which I thought was a bit on the low end. That is how they were going to make up for the price on the Prius.

Needless to say, I did not buy the car.
    That's funny because I was thinking of offering $21880 + TTL as an out the door price before I backed off a bit since I have been getting lukewarm offers and missed the end of the month to deal. I was basing my price on $21k + $500 (for the dealer) + $380 (floormats, Blizzard paint, bumper thing @ invoice). I was including the delivery and TDA in the $21k figure also. So needless to say, I probably would have gone for the deal you were offered and sold the truck to a private party - though in my state the tax is only charged on the difference between the car price and the trade so sometimes it works out to trade. If you are in a place where the $21k deals are advertized though, $21888 is a less than great deal, but not too bad IMO.
  • astylesastyles Member Posts: 8
    No tax savings in my state on the trade.

Might wait to see if I can get a better deal on the car at month end, but I might be getting a bit too greedy.
  • want2buyhwant2buyh Member Posts: 14
    Just want to thank tickle, want_prius3 and others that posted sales information....

Went to Hilltop Toyota in Richmond, CA after talking with a salesman about a previous weekend's ad of 21,777 for Prius II. He said another sale should be going on weekend of 7/27. They had 6 at that price but I was busy and couldn't make it until late Sunday... needless to say they were sold. But they made me great offer on a Blue Prius II with floor/cargo mats & wheel locks (the usual items on most I have seen) that I thought was very good and went for 21,876. After doc, title registration and my tax rate of 8.375% it came to 24050. I got preapproved with Penfed CU for 1.9% for 60 months and they matched it.

Could I have gotten it cheaper? I am sure others could have worked a better deal but I am very happy with it.

They did try to push the warranties but I passed... I will probably look around to see what is available at a good price and to see if makes sense to do it... never really gave it much thought so I never did the research.
  • redoctaneredoctane Member Posts: 1
    Has anybody in northern California gotten a Prius 2 for around 21,000+TTL? I've seen it done on the east coast but not sure about northern California:/ I've shopped around for about 2 months and after lot's of emails and phone calls I got the best price at around 21,800, please if somebody knows a dealer that sells em for around 21,000-21,400 please post! thanks :)
  • specdanspecdan Member Posts: 13
    Shopping for the above in the West, AZ,Ca.
    MSRP including Shipping is $32,815 w/Invoice at $30,462.
    Looking for some comp pricing.
    Thanks
  • saz25saz25 Member Posts: 152
    I just bought and took delivery of a Prius IV. I paid more than $1000 under invoice. I even negotiated them to reduce their so-called documentation fee by $200.

You just have to be firm and tell them that's all you would pay. I paid cash for the deal, no trade.

I would say if the MSRP is $32,815 and invoice is $30,462, you shouldn't anything over $29,000. I would start at $28,200 and work up from there if need be.

Good luck.
    Steve
    Hi Steve, would you mind sharing the purchase price, not including TTL which is variable from place to place? Also did you get it base with just the mats and the bumper sticker thing or did you get some big upgrades? Thanks!
    Here's what I ended up with:
    MSRP-$35545
    Invoice-$32206
    Paid-$32227
    Desert Toyota-Tucson, Az
    First time in awhile that I didn't buy below Invoice, but these cars are selling well.
    I'd be happy to answer any inquiries.
  • ntxprius2ntxprius2 Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2012
    Hi,

Can someone who purchased recently please post the price breakdown of a base trim 2012 Prius 2 in the North Texas area? I checked with several dealers in the area and all the offers are at or above MSRP + Delivery + doc fee + TTL. This does not seem right to me compared to some posts in the forum.

-Thanks
  • tnt21tnt21 Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2012
    Southern California Prius III standard pearl white

Negotiate on OTD price and let the dealer worries about TTL. Price ranges between $26,000 to $27,000.
  • nguytrnguytr Member Posts: 1
    Hi Redoctane,
    I was wondering what dealership did you get the pricing for $21,800? Are you about to find a dealership that sale them for the price you are looking for?
  • hmindz36hmindz36 Member Posts: 1
    Just purchased a 2012 Prius II for $21,488. After tax + fees it was $23,497 OTD. It was from DCH Toyota of Torrance, CA, I believe the sale starts tomorrow or Saturday, but they were willing to offer it to me today. They'll only honor the deal on cars with MSRP on $24,985. I was also able to walk away with the 0% for 36 months financing. I read a few reviews about the dealership on Yelp so I was worried they wouldn't honor it when I got there but I made sure to call and ask if they had enough vehicles at that price before I went there. If anyone is wondering, the sales consultant's name is Eric.
  • czar4czar4 Member Posts: 33
    edited August 2012
    Wondering if anyone can help me value my 10 month old Prius v Five (wagon). I'm looking to trade it and KBB and NADA don't yet have a value listed for it since its too new. It's the base Five model (leatherette, Nav, with only a few minor options). MSRP is just shy of $32k. Has 10,800 on the clock.

Thanks for any help.
  • psychtobepsychtobe Member Posts: 12
    Just paid $24,450 +TTL for a Prius three in Vancouver, WA. This includes destination and mats. Add another $1570 for after-market leather and heated seats for a total of $26,020 +TTL. Hopefully this is a fair price, I had done a lot of research before going to dealer but had no interest in or time to negotiate hard.
  • anewcarowneranewcarowner Member Posts: 2
    Where are you located?
  • dannyyodannyyo Member Posts: 14
    Hey specdan,

Does the price you paid $32227 include tax and license?

thanks,

Dan
    $32227 plus T&L
    Sunroof is $3600 adder included in the above price.
    I'd say shoot for Invoice Cost.
    I like the car so far after a couple of weeks
  • czar4czar4 Member Posts: 33
    Fairfield, CT
  • plasmahidefplasmahidef Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a Prius Four with carpets and Mats ($220 MSRP) accessory for $26,700 before TTL and trade-in. We bought it using AAA.com car buying service through Libertyville Toyota Dealership. Let me know if I can answer any other questions.

Also wanted to thank everybody who posted their buying experience.
  • ng105ng105 Member Posts: 1
    Thank you for posting about Hilltop Toyota. I checked and they gave me the following deal:

Fleet Manager: Jong "PACMAN" Paek

2012 Silver Prius II w/floor and cargo mats
    MSRP:$24,985.00
    Selling price :$21,688.00
    Doc prep fee:$80.00
    DMV:$248.35
    Sales tax:$1,795.86
    Total OTD:$23,812.21

Loan term: 60 months, no money down at a rate of 1.9%

I emailed 10+ other Toyota dealers and Hilltop beat the next best quote by over $1,000! They still have three other cars at the same price during the Labor Day weekend.
  • king_tacoking_taco Member Posts: 12
    edited September 2012
    So I get a quote from the internet dept @ $21,488 (prius two) and drove 70 miles to the dealer from my house this afternoon ….. long story short they honored the quote but they came back with extended warranties AND a high interest rate of 8.85% minding my credit score is @ 710 (tier one), I told them I should qualify for the special interest rate Toyota has (1.9%), well they did not seem to want to help me. They gave me some outrageous options which I did not care about. I wanted the car at that price with a low interest rate. I’m so disappointed…… Back to square one :( …………. PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM THIS DEALER!!!!!!!.
  • inventianinventian Member Posts: 4
    Hi, can you please share the details of the dealership that's offering 21,800?
  • chandrabchandrab Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2012
    Thank you guys for sharing your pricing info. This was very helpful with my recent car purchases. Just bought 2012 toyota prius 4 , blizzard pearl white with floor mats and lower body moldings for 27000 + TTL+ Taxes etc...

This is without solar roof package.
  • gtgtcobragtgtcobra Member Posts: 268
    edited September 2012
    I just closed a Lease deal for a 3 year/60,000 mile lease on a new 2012 Prius 2 this evening.

The MONEY FACTOR for the new 2012 Prius 2 is .00142

The current lease on my 2010 Toyota Camry LE was coming to an end in 3 months on December 12th and I needed to turn in the vehicle because it already has an an 11,000 mile "overage" on it. When I initially leased it back in 2009, I negotiated the lease with 18,000 miles per year for 3 years with a total of 54,000 miles.

I was able to lease the 2012 Prius 2 in Blizzard Pearl White for 3 years/60,000 miles. I wanted the 60,000 miles because I drive a lot and I put between 20,000 to 24,000 miles per year on my vehicle. I couldn't do otherwise on the mileage selection that I made.

The dealership rolled in the last 4 payments of the lease which was a total of $624.04 and also rolled in the mileage overage charges which was a total of $1,647.90 into the new Prius 2 lease vehicle.

I was ALSO able to get the Agreed Value Price for the Prius 2 for $24,033.36 which was around $1,240 LESS than the MSRP Price of around $25,273 which also included the destination charges in the MSRP.
    The dealer showed me their Dealer Invoice Price for the Prius 2 that I wanted and it was around $24,200.

I put $4,000 down for the Prius 2 and my current payment is $404 per month which includes the Gap Insurance.

The $4,000 that I put down includes the:
    1. Title & Registration Fees
    2. Capitalization Cost Reduction
    3. First Monthly Payment
    4. Tax on Capitalized Cost Reduction
    5. Administration Fee

Is the 3 Year/60,000 mile Lease for $404 per month that I got on the new 2012 Prius 2 a good deal considering that I was upside down in my old lease vehicle???
    Did I get a good overall lease deal or did I overpay for everything???
  • lovelynlovelyn Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased my first new car - a winter gray 2012 Prius Three base model for $24,500 at Larson Toyota in Tacoma, WA.

I got the run around from quite a few dealerships in the area (this was most likely exacerbated by the fact that I am a small woman and I look really young) and I was glad to give my business to the guy at Larson, he was the only one who did not try to take advantage. The only fees I paid were Tax, Registration, and Documentary I think?

Either way I'm very happy with my purchase and hopefully I got a good price!
  • ja22ja22 Member Posts: 1
    You already said you closed the deal.

You must have thought it was a good deal or you wouldn't have made it. Someone else's opinion really shouldn't matter at this point - these are the kind of questions you post before you make the deal, not after.

Considering the factors you listed, the new prius deal seems OK but I wonder why you wouldn't just buy it (0% offer for 36 months) vs leasing it.

Anytime you are getting out of a vehicle you are upside-down in, you are not in much of a position to negotiate. The value price seems pretty good as the base Prius usually goes out the door about $500 under MSRP - the dealer also gets a few percent in hold backs which you never see, so he can still make money selling it under invoice (about 23,800).

The dealer has to make profit to operate the dealership - it's hard to say how much he made, but I would guess he will make a lot more off your trade than he did on the new Prius.

Who valued the trade in? If it was the dealer, he was the one who determined how upside down you were in it, so he could pretty much tell you anything.

Did you take your trade to CarMax and get an independent appraisal / offer for it? That's always a good idea - I've had dealers offer me a couple thousand less than CarMax when I went in on a trade, so I ended up selling it to CarMax for wholesale, or even selling it myself in the paper for $500 or $1000 over the CarMax offer - mostly the dealer you are working with will match the CarMax price too, if the deal is legit.

Anyway, you live and learn - I think you'll really enjoy your Prius in any event - and you're saving gas and the planet! How much is that worth? Good luck!!
    The only way to determine what kind of deal you received on the purchase of a New Car is to get your hands on the Invoice.
  • inlarkspurinlarkspur Member Posts: 1
    Finally getting my act together and retiring the suburu for day to day and trips to the coast, and have heart set on the four. So, one sweet salesman assures me his dealership is the best with under MSRP, but then a fellow from Hilltop gives me a sweet price, by phone. Can I do as well as Chicago did last week or so and get it for $27,000 with mats??? Here in SF Bay Area everything is more $$$, including our gas, so I wonder if I should take my search on the road?
  • saz25saz25 Member Posts: 152
    Suggestion...
    Decide what options you want. The determine invoice price. Then subtract at least $1000. Thats your offer!! Then tell them you won't pay dealer doc fees.

Of course you pay taxes and license fees, but that's it.

I've even gone lower than $1000 on some other models, but certainly not above that price.

Good luck
    Steve
  • yplypl Member Posts: 1
    Hi, Can anyone share about buying experience and deal of Prius two in Houston area recently?
  • mokiavellimokiavelli Member Posts: 60
    edited September 2012
    Like ja22 said, since you already did the deal, what anyone says doesn't matter. As an FYI, on a lease so close to the end, you don't really get upside down. The worst case scenario is you finish your 3 payments, pay the mileage overage and turn the car in. Then go lease another car after you turn the car in, with a clean slate. If you do drive 20,000 miles a year, you may consider buying instead of leasing. On your lease, not including the $4k down, in 3 years, you paid about $15k on a $24k car. Will the Prius be worth more that $9k after 3 years?
  • dharmapunkerdharmapunker Member Posts: 1
    Just got a 2012 Plug In Base.
    $500 down
    429.56 per month for 36 mo's.
    12,000 miles per year.
    W/ aftermarket leather installed in the deal.
    TFS keeps the $2500 tax credit but CA gives a $1500 state credit. (to leasee)
    I spoke to many salesman and many think the lessee gets all this credit and some think leasee gets none.
    Go to http://energycenter.org to claim your CA rebate.
  • songcarsongcar Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a silver Prius III for OTD (out of door total including tax everything) 263k at an east bay Toyota dealership.
    We tested drive at Sunnyvale toyota and its price is $24,888 (willing to talk in the range one or two thundreds). We moved on to start the internet shopping as we made mind to take Prius III with base.

Most shops reply in one hour, pretty quick. Among about 10 dealerships (including Dublin Toyota which someone claimed OTD 255k in july), about half offers under 270k OTD. I was trying to bargain and failed. Most of them sticks to its original saying, not willing to play. The 263k was pretty much the initial offer. I was surprised that no dealer wanted to work on the price.

I figured 263 OTD is a deal probably not the best. We decided to go get it.
    Reminder, always ask/talk OTD price (rather those 23888 before tax).

Also, prepare for buying lojack, maintainence program, extented warranty,...
  • searlaitsearlait Member Posts: 5
    Anyone on here bought a Prius V base model recently? I am having a hard time finding other's accounts of OTD pricing for these models, preferably in Texas. Thanks!
  • shreeankit1shreeankit1 Member Posts: 2
    I just brought Winter Gray Prius II with Price: $21900
    Dealer fee: $ 400
    SC Tax : $ 300 (Flat)
    Title & Regi : $ 100 (approx)
    Total OTD paid: $22700. Is this good price. Car included mats, carpets, tinted glass option plus Bronze modling at door. is this good price for south carolina ?
  • bhushan1bhushan1 Member Posts: 1
    yes. it is. which dealer?
  • priustwopriustwo Member Posts: 3
    That's a very good price in South Carolina. I live in Columbia. I'm not quite ready to buy a new Prius Two, but I have been talking to a few dealers. I know that I can get one for invoice, but I want to better than that. Which dealership gave you this deal? Thanks in advance.
  • aldohykialdohyki Member Posts: 2
    about to buy a 2012 winter gray metalic Prius Two
    For 25700 OTD (everything included, tax and what not)

is this a good deal in Southern California??

Please somebody help!! :)
  • miataracermiataracer Member Posts: 13
    Yes you can do better than invoice. We just bought a brand new Prius II (black/gray interior with factory options of mats and chrome door moldings) for about $1,000 under invoice plus tinted windows thrown in. Trick seems to be choosing one that's been on the lot over 90 days.