Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Toyota Prius Prices Paid and Buying Experiences

Comments

• aldohykialdohyki Member Posts: 2
    How are ppl getting Prius II OTD under 23000!?!?!?
    Lowest I can get right now is 25000!!!

:(

How....
  • shreeankit1shreeankit1 Member Posts: 2
    Daveedward toyota of spartanburg
  • jppicksjppicks Member Posts: 2
    edited September 2012
    You can do better. Mossy in San Diego will sell any color other than blizzard pearl at 24,389 OTD. 25,700 seems high. May be worth it for you to take the drive? Most people that get really low prices have much lower tax rates than CA so it is hard to replicate that OTD price. But you can get the car for around 22k before everything if you just shop around.
  • miket14miket14 Member Posts: 1
    Just got an offered form a dealership for $21,733 for a honda prius 2. Sounds like a good deal but with tax + car alarm(695) + registration fees + 5% apr(4000down and $323@72 months) first time buyer it seems the total came out to be like $27,000 for a honda prius 2 for first time buyer. Do you guys think its worth it?
  • drivinggaldrivinggal Member Posts: 3
    I'd love to have Steve negotiate for me! I just bought a Prius IV (with solar package).

Sticker price was $33,193. Invoice was $31,163. Offered $30,400 and he let me walk out the door (no call back).

Went back and the lowest I could get him to was $31,500 (said he had to make "something" -- although I know they make $ even below invoice). However, I really wanted that exact color/seat combo so took it. Over and above $31,500 was tax and license plate fees (nothing else).

Loving it so far!
  • saz25saz25 Member Posts: 152
    Knowing that they wouldn't budge then why didn't you contact another dealer and just say "If you beat $X, I'll buy the car from you "?

Steve
  • miataracermiataracer Member Posts: 13
    So was it a Honda or was it a Prius? Because it can't be both....
    When I say we paid around 23k, yes that's "out the door", but we pay taxes and plates later at the DMV, when we register the car. So we still have that expense ahead, however I have also sold a couple vehicles recently (privately) and we do get "credit" for those full amounts off the price of the new car. So luckily I will only pay taxes on maybe 5k.
    I did. Went to another local dealership and they said they said they could beat the price by only $150 less-- but they didn't have the exact car I wanted in stock.

When I told them I was in no rush and could wait if they'd come down more- they said they couldn't. Guess I could have shopped around on the internet and saved some more $ , but I wanted to buy the car locally so made the deal.
    I knew better than to buy an extended warranty from the dealership when I bought my Prius IV, but I'm curious to know if others have purchased one. I did get the top of the line IV with the solar package. FYI, the finance manager quoted me an OUTRAGEOUS NUMBER-- $2,500 for 5 years/125K miles ("kindly" offered to throw in LoJack for that price).

I am wondering if:
    a) it's not worth it at all (or if the gold package is just as good)
    b) shop online for best deal now (I saw "Jerry" at Midwest Toyota offers competitive prices)
    c) if I should wait until I'm near the end of my 3 warranty and see how it goes then.

Any advice?
  • jppicksjppicks Member Posts: 2
    Some people are warranty people some aren't. Personally I would prefer to not have it since the hybrid battery and transmission are covered anyway and the warranty does not cover those items. If you look on slickdeals they discuss dealers that will sell these to you at half price. Obviously you don't need to buy it from the same dealer you bought the car. If you read the thread over there you can see the arguments for it and arguments against it. It seems more times than not though any issues you may have are maintenance related and won't actually be covered by the additional warranty.
  • wcs3wcs3 Member Posts: 1
    I am starting to shop for a Prius III base and also went to SV Toyota where they quoted a price of $24888 and OTD $27333. Can you share with me which east bay dealership you went to? Thank you!
  • jaketwojaketwo Member Posts: 2
    sticker was $29,700 including the BS SE Toyota $895 charge and the dealer prep of another $795 so I offered $25k out the door after dickering back and forth we got down to $25,700 however they then tried to switch me to a lesser car for the same price...nice try, I walked
  • jaketwojaketwo Member Posts: 2
    Looking for a Prius 3 in either Grand Junction or Denver want $25k out the door....anyone can help?
  • saz25saz25 Member Posts: 152
    The is a big red flag here.

They should not try to charge a dealer prep fee.

Make them remove it or go elsewhere. Another dealer nickel and diming you.
    Steve
  • tommyterrifictommyterrific Member Posts: 7
    Hi Everybody,

I went to a lot of trouble to post here, mostly because I found this site about a week before I bought and I saved a bundle, and hope I can help you to do the same.
    We purchased a red Prius Two, with 2 miles on it. It included carpet mats AND cargo mat, and was listed for $25,239. Our purchase price, before TTL was $21,972. The key information here is that this represented a 13% reduction in price. I travel a lot and therefore could buy anywhere in the country. I tried many places recommended by this list, but was unable to find any sales significantly below this amount.

This was purchased from Earl Stewart Toyota in West Palm Beach, Fl., and was a cash purchase.
    Wow - that's over $1,000 less than we paid, and through my efforts and research, it's clear we got a great deal. Is there some other piece of info that led to such a low price? Hail damage? On the lot for waaaaay over 90 days? Some kind of loyalty discount program??
  • blitz7619blitz7619 Member Posts: 4
    Looking to purchase a 2012 prius 2 in northern Virginia. The best OTD I have received is for 21700. (inclusive of everything tax,tag,freight,processing fees...does not include carpet mat and cargo mat)..

Anyone in northern Virginia has a better OTD?

Thanks
  • blizzard415blizzard415 Member Posts: 1
    I just got a 2012 Toyota Prius five model in blizzard pearl for $28,445 plus fees. The sticker was 31,xxx. We feel like that was a good deal. Got it at City Toyota in Daly City on September 24th which is right before the $5 a gallon gas here in the SF Bay Area. $1,000 down and our 36 month lease is only $378 a month including wear and tear package from Toyota. Our mileage has been only about 38-39 mpg I know it's still breaking in but when do we start to see the increase in gas mileage? Also what are some good tire replacements for the Toyos that came on the five model? The Toyos seem kinda loud. Thanks in advance. Currently has 678 miles. Bought it with 15 miles :)
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    What about the extended warranty where they say they'll refund the full value if not used. This is coming from the dealer. Seems like if I never use it and get my money back, it's worth it in the case of a really big expense.
    INCLUDING tax and plates?!? I'd say you're being greedy if you want a better deal than that!
    I agree, and our Toyota dealer sold us on the "full refund" extended warranty. I asked every question I could think of, and it seems to be on the up & up. It was over $2,000 but hey either we use it and are glad we have it, or we don't use it and get the $$$ back. I can't figure out what they get out of it, other than interest on our money over the term...
  • priustwopriustwo Member Posts: 3
    I recently got an excellent deal at Dave Edwards Toyota in Spartanburg, SC for the purchase of a new 2012 Toyota Prius 2 hatchback. I highly recommend this dealership because they make you an excellent offer immediately and are very courteous. Their telephone number is 864-595-2300. On Monday, Oct 1, I called five (5) dealerships that I thought would give me a good deal. There was one other dealership that was fairly close but Dave Edwards had the best deal plus their Prius had a lifetime warranty on the drive train. I live in Columbia, SC and have no problem with driving a reasonable distance in order to get a good deal. I was in no hurry. This is what the numbers look like:
    Toyota Prius 2 - with no options
    $21,621.00 - Price of car
    $300.00 - SC sales tax
    $79.00 - Tag, registration & title
    $22,000.00 - Total OTD (Out the door) Price

There was a dealership fee, but it was waived. All I pay now is property tax and I'm done. After we agreed on the deal over the telephone I asked when I needed to come and pick it up. I was told that this sale was for the month of September, which ran through the weekend and included Monday, Oct 1, so therefore, I had to pick up the car that day. That was no problem, since I had my finances in order and I was ready to purchase.
    Based on what I've read and what I've experienced, I have the following recommendations:
    1. Do your test driving in advance to make sure you're okay with the Prius and to make sure that you know exactly which Prius you want and with what options you want including color.
    2. Choose your 2nd and 3rd favorite colors - exterior and interior - in advance.
    3. Select 5 or 6 dealers that you think will give you a good deal.
    4. Call the dealerships and ask for the new car sales manager. This will expedite the process and the manager will more that likely follow up with the salesman.
    5. Tell each dealership new car sales manger that you will negotiate with the 2 lowest bids.
    6. Handle everything on the telephone.
    7. Be prepared to purchase the vehicle immediately.
    8. Make sure that you know exactly what the final cost is and what it includes.
    9. Plan to make the purchase late in the month.

I hope that has been helpful. Good luck with your purchase.
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    I think they make money because most people will use it for something, but not up to the original cost of the warranty. So if it costs $2,200 and you go in to have something very minor replaced under the extended warranty for lets say $100, then you'll get zero refund. You won't get a refund for the difference ($2,200 - $100). Or even if you had a big $1,500 expense, you'd then have to decide on paying for the expense up front to retain your warranty refund option, or using the extended warranty for the $1,500 repair bill but losing the $2,200 cost of the warranty.

Plus the refund period is very short from what I understand. You have to submit the paperwork for getting your refund within 30-60 days after the warranty period expires, so if you forget about it 4 years down the road and then suddenly remember about getting your extended warranty refunded, if you miss that 30-60 day window you're out of luck.

I think it's good if you really pay attention and only use the extended warranty for a really big expense (i.e. over $2,200 in repair cost) and then make sure to apply for the refund.
  • kaizekaize Member Posts: 1
    Can you share what dealer you got this deal from? We are shopping around for the same model in nova. Did you find a better deal?
    Hi,
    We just purchased our first tankfull. By taking the miles driven and dividing by the gallons purchased, we got 48.4mpg. I'm expecting even more next tank fill.
    Tommyterrific
    Two miles on the car, built in September 2012 in Japan, no obvious damage.
    This price came after I was offered the same price from CobbCountyToyota.com in Atlanta area.
    We bought last week and were quoted (by the dealer) $995 for 3 years or 50,000 miles. I have not yet decided as I am awaiting further input from this board.

BUT, I was offered a key replacement plan ($299) for as many keys as you lose, and I think that is a good idea, as one key costs $450+/-.
    I said in this message that our first tank full returned 48.4mpg. We just filled again yesterday and this time our mileage was 49.3. This was approximately 70% city and 30% highway. I'm licking my lips waiting for 50.0+.
  • manlymanly Member Posts: 14
    jwlbel,

Thanks for your post. I just bought the Blizzard White Prius III based on your post from Tustin Toyota on 10/25/2012. The OTD price was same as yours of $26,112 and sticker price was $26,874.

I have got many quotes, including Longo Toyota who claimed #1 Toyota dealer, could not even come close to the deal.

Very happy with it and thank you all for your contributions to this forums.
  • burgaiburgai Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

The OTC price you got is very good. Can you please share the dealer and sale person you got the price from. Thanks much.
  • dbeaeiprdbeaeipr Member Posts: 1
    Base Prius III with carpet/mats. 24K before tax and title. All quotes ranged between 23.9 - 24.5K.
    Most dealers were willing to meet lower quotes from other dealers if it was in a written form
    (e.g. an email). This forum has been very helpful in getting a good idea about the market price.
    One suggestion - if you plan to finance your car through Toyota, please get a decent idea about what someone with your credit score can get in Toyota these days before walking into the
    dealership, or even better get a pre-approved loan from a lender with good rates (typically a
    credit union) - so that the finance guy cannot low ball you with interest rates.
  • redcarr1redcarr1 Member Posts: 1
    Hey!

What dealership did you get this deal in the SF Bay area?
  • dkncdknc Member Posts: 2
    Wow, they cut the Karr down half, I wish I had read this before. I got charged 600 bucks for that aftermarket alarm. And how on Earth can Toyota approve that their alarm will NOT void waranty? Factory VIP alarm cost maybe around the ballpark of 300 bones not including installation, but dude, this alarm business is lucrative. I don't even have the solar roof, just the lower side moldings and illum sills, my otd is almost the same as yours. which dealership you bought it from? Anyone else in San Diego get Karr alarm?
  • inventianinventian Member Posts: 4
    The best deal I have seen for a Prius III in San Jose area so far is 23,888 with 0% financing during the labour day weekend. Has anyone come across any better deals? Is Toyota going to offer 0% APR financing after 11/05 ?
  • tl92647tl92647 Member Posts: 3
    Yeah, me too, I also got suckered to DCH Torrance last weekend for a Prius Two for the same $21,488 lie and promised no strings attached, just come in and sign paper and pay. Long story short, I show up with my checkbook and was told yes, will honor price but all the cars I wanted come with alarm, coating, wheel lock and door guards for an additional $1,500 mark up, totally unprofessional. Agree, stay away from DCH Torrance, I wasted 2.5 hrs. & 65 miles. Next best price found was at Toyota Orange for the same car (blizzard pearl) for 22,955+TTL and came to $24.4 OTD, written quote from some guy at the internet dept. Anyone with experience dealing with Orange here? or any better dealers to shop around?
  • tomlilly1tomlilly1 Member Posts: 4
    I purchased a new black pkg 3 Prius for $23,806.00 +ttl from Grossinger City Toyota in Chicago, sticker price was $26,585.00. Negotiated the price over the phone. I did my research and feel that I got a great price. Only problem was that they didn't have my first choice in color, silver with dark gray interior. Overall experience with the dealer was very good, no pressure to purchase extended warranties etc.
  • thong24kthong24k Member Posts: 23
    Is this your OTD price?
  • cindyhan314cindyhan314 Member Posts: 23
    In the market looking for a 2012 Prius package two. I am in SoCal area, Just got a internet price quote from one dealer and they offer me discount price at $22,477+ttl (no military discount), which they claim the price is $2,543 off MSRP. They didn't specify the color choice. Could i do any better than this? Is $21,500 realistic at this time for Prius two?
  • miata_racermiata_racer Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2012
    22.5k seems reasonable, it's well under dealer invoice on a $25k Prius. 21.5k seems awful low but it doesn't hurt to try!
    Thanks for quick reply. This is my first price quote from dealership. I thought it can not be the lowest. Who knows, i could be wrong. But like you said, it doesn't hurt to try. I am not looking to lowball dealers, just want a fair price offer and when i look back, i don't regart for impluse buy by paying $$thousands more.
  • king_tacoking_taco Member Posts: 12
    I got my 2012 prius II from Puente Hills Toyota in Industry for $21,788 on Labor Day weekend. the way i got the car was through the sunday paper (la times which advertise 5 priuis II @ that price)… i chatted with their internet department and i asked what was there best pricing and they came back to me at a high price, then i mention the ad price from the paper was at 21,788. i got lucky, they had two in stock.... drove to the dealer sign papers and out the door!
    That sounds nice, wish i would have that luck. So, 21,788 is the bottom line so far and i hope i can snap one below it. I think the timing is right now, it's end of year and dealers are rush to get rid of old cars. So far, my best quote is $22,450, a long way to go.
  • dilberticdilbertic Member Posts: 63
    I am also thinking about trading in my 2008 Prius for a newer model. I saw Capitol Toyota has some Prius package 3 coming in under 25k and I am guessing they have room to talk them down. So if you see anything, give a shout.
  • tl92647tl92647 Member Posts: 3
    Just bought a Prius Two from Orange, they got tons of Prius Two in stock, you can pick any (except blizzard) for 21,895+ttl (no military disc.) I ended up paying extra 400 for blizzard = 22,295+ttl. Good dealership, nice salesman, no BS or heavy pressure for extras. Avoid Torrance Toyota, they wasted me 2 trips and feed me tons of BS and lies!
  • sfdriver3sfdriver3 Member Posts: 5
    Just purchased 2013 Prius 3 on Nov. 17, 2012 from Melody in San Bruno for $25,300 (includes destination) in blizzard white with all carpet mats. Only extra was about 10% more for tt&l. Came out at about cost per Edmunds figures. Not a pleasant experience (long delay locating car despite email saying car was available, turned out 2012 wasn't but found 2013), but worth it given the price.
  • sfdriver3sfdriver3 Member Posts: 5
    Purchased 2013 Prius 3 at Melody in San Bruno on 11/17/12 for $25,300 (including destination charge) + ttl. Color is blizzard white with light grey interior, carpet floor and cargo mats. Only other option was factory installed bumper protection (only small area in front of cargo opening). Came in about invoice cost per Edmunds' figures, so considered it a very good deal. Dealership was a bit of a nightmare because they claimed 2012 was available in emails, but then claimed it was sold the night before we came in. Took hours to locate a 2013, but strung along with claims a 2012 was available at the "warehouse".
    which dealer in Orange please? I am also in the market for a Prius two in Blizzard white. The best price i came across is 22,499. I countered 22,400 and the dealer hasn't get back to me. Your price is good, espcially you mentioned no BS and nice salesman.

Do you think it's really worth couple of hundreds more for white color? I am very hesitated.
    Also, could you share your sales name please?
    What a good price. May i ask what color is it? Enjoy your new car, congrats!