Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Toyota Prius Prices Paid and Buying Experiences

Comments

• dstone4dstone4 Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

I just got a quote form a dealer for a Prius III w/ Nav for $25,051 (includes destination, but not taxes/DMV fees).

He said this was slightly under invoice. I've tried to do lots of research (on my 4th straight hour) but still can't figure out if this is a decent price or not. I'm gonna buy, not lease.

Is this a good deal?
  • jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    try truecar or overstock -- they will give you a fair price -- here in southern illinois got a price of 25051 on a IV msrp 27360. Still working on trade.
  • dstone4dstone4 Member Posts: 2
    I tried both truecar aand overstock, is it me, or are they basically the same website? Anyways, it says that I'm almost exactly at "average value". Does that mean there's likely a better deal out there if I look for one?
    edited August 2010
    don't they give you dealer referrals with best prices? They do in my zip code.
    did 94401 and got dealers giving 2200 off base III.
  • dwynnedwynne Member Posts: 4,018
    And don't be afraid to try other ZIP codes as well :D . If no local dealers are giving nice prices then expand the search. Folks should try the Edmunds dealer referral system, carsdirect, zag (Overstock, AMEX, etc), and any other similar system that offers free and easy dealer pricing.
    Good advice !
  • mleomleo Member Posts: 10
    I am looking to lease my first hybrid, a 2010 Prius II.

Can anybody tell me if the current lease deal on the Prius II available in my area is a good deal? It's $259 per mo., zero down, first payment due at signing, 36 mo., 12k mi. per year, no security.

Can I do better or is this good enough to go in and get them to meet these terms?

Here it is from their site-

Lease a 2010 Prius for $259/Month for 36 Months $259 due at lease signing* Excludes official fees, taxes and dealer charges. No security deposit required.*

*Due at signing includes $0 down, first $259 payment, and no security deposit. Tax, Tags, and Insurance are extra.

Customer is responsible for excessive wear and excess mileage charges of $.15 per mile in excess of 36,000 miles. Your payment may vary based on final negotiated price.

Prius Model 1223, MSRP $23,560.

Thanks!
    Sounds like a great deal to me -- if you like the prius -- I do. 1% of msrp before taxes is the gold standard. you are very close.
  • raining_dl1raining_dl1 Member Posts: 2
    I purchased prius III Silver, with Tint and floor mats and dust guards for $23,068 in Dallas. OTD was $24,800. I think it's a pretty good deal considering that I also got 0% financing.
  • strike1strike1 Member Posts: 1
    Bought a pruis 4 with car mats and appearance package for 24600 cash in Kansas. Can anyone give mme a name or names to call for lowest extended warranty. My dealer will match any Toyota EW price, thanks
  • sadie121212sadie121212 Member Posts: 2
    I live in AZ and I leased a 2010 Prius II for $218.13 + $19.85 Tax for a Total of $237.98. It has mats and Blizzard White Peral Paint.
    Total MSRP is $24,980.00 including freight. I think they said the money factor was 0.00085%. I used an old car as a down of $2000.00.
    It is a 36 mo. 12k lease. I really like the car alot.
  • sadie121212sadie121212 Member Posts: 2
    I forgot to mention that the residual, is $16,194.00. The thing I don't know is if it was a good deal. This is my first lease. I am happy with the payment, and I am very happy with the car. It is my first hybrid.
    We received the paperwork for our 2 year free maintenance plan for the Prius III we picked up back at the end of June.

A couple of things to note:

It appears the service coupons can only be used at the SELLING DEALER and not at any Toyota dealer. We travelled a bit to get the right car at the right price and were not planning on going back to the selling dealer for service.

The Prius appears to now come with synthetic oil so our free plan give us just 2 oil changes over its life: 10k and 20k. The other coupons (5k,15k,and 25k) are for tire rotations and "chassis lubes" and inspection stuff

So while not worthless, they are worth less than we thought this free perk would be :)
    Car_Man (and others) is this a good deal on a Prius II (blizzrad white)? Only option is floor mats. Thanks!

Price: 21,738
    term: 36
    residual: 14,820
    mi. per year: 15k
    acq fee: 650
    Gov fee: $68
    taxes: $777
    doc fee: $120

Zero down
    Initial payment: $261
    35 mo. thereafter $261
    All taxes and fees rolled in.
  • drivingmainedrivingmaine Member Posts: 4
    This is probably not true. If you purchased your car with Toyota's free maintenance plan (vs made by your dealership) during the national promotion - then these certificates are valid at any dealership, even though the selling dealership is pre-printed on them. I bought my Prius in March 2010 and had the same question. I service the car at different dealerships without a problem.
    Yes, during the (still going on) national promo. We intend to try to use them at a local dealership, but they really appear to be good only at the selling dealership. We will see, hopefully you are still correct :D .
    Anybody??
  • kc70kc70 Member Posts: 3
    We just got a 2010 Prius III: MSRP $27010 our price $24327.6

The salesman said he'll give me $1000 under invoice. The invoice on Edmunds, and KBB was $24945. His invoice price was $25327.60. I thought it was still a good price based on other quotes I was given, so we took it. But now, I thought I should've added up his invoice price to show that his invoice prices did not add up.

OTD price was $28695.83 because we also bought the extended platinum warranty (8yrs/100000 miles) for $1775.

Was this a good price?
    You can get the warranty for $1050 from midwest toyota.
  • kc70kc70 Member Posts: 3
    For 8yrs/100000 miles and platinum coverage?
    Absolutely -- do a search and give them a call. Getting mine next month. Had my IV for 2 days and the leather seats are awsome. Love the car.
  • sfogvipersfogviper Member Posts: 6
    Visited four dealers in Las Vegas today and the best offer was as follows.

Prius III - base model (no nav, no solar package, no options)
    Silver / dark gray, odometer: 7

Selling price: 22399 (does not include customer cash)
    OTD: 24888
    0% APR 60 months
    Trade-in came in $400 above KBB, plus NV offers a sales tax credit

Seems to be a good price, just contacting one more dealer to see if they can match on a slightly more preferable color combination before making a decision Monday.
  • newsunfunnewsunfun Member Posts: 13
    Hi, Jay. Base off 2200, you mean MSRP or invoice? Which dealer?

Toyota Sunnyvale now gives $1642 off MSRP for Prius III with Nav. But I think it's still expensive.
  • sfogvipersfogviper Member Posts: 6
    Well, that ended quickly. The dealer with the preferred color combination called back an hour before closing and asked us to come in so they could match the price. Ended up with winter gray with misty gray interior. Selling price was 23049; they grossed up the trade-in so the monthly payment ended up the same as in the last offer. Again, that's without customer cash, as we took the 0% APR. Includes floor mats, door edge guards, and window tinting.
    edited August 2010
    Got the IV with mats. Msrp 27560 -- price was 25178. Only 152 for the doc fee. Trade in covered the sales tax. Alton Toyota ---Alton , Illinois. What made the deal great was I got full kbb for my murano in trade. Wasn't easy do do buying a prius. Had almost 2500 in equity.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    edited August 2010
    Are you sure you got the official Toyota maintenance plan and not one the local dealer just made up themself?

What do you mean "appears to be" only good at the selling dealership?
    The contract should not be so vague as to be subject to interpretation. There should be something plainly written in the paperwork that clearly states all terms.

Not just the pamplet or glossy marketing brochure, but the actual contract paperwork.
    The app we filled out and sent in was the Toyota plan app. It was no charge and we got the stuff back in a few weeks. This includes 5 (I think) coupons for the free service - 5k, 10k, 15k, 20k, and 25k. They are all marked (as is most of the other stuff in the "kit") with the selling dealer's name. The free roadside card looks like a normal card and has no mention of the selling dealer on that.
  • smartshopper1smartshopper1 Member Posts: 4
    What dealership in Dallas did you purchase? I am assuming that price did not include the $1000 off since you went for the 0% financing. Is my assumtion correct? I am in Houston and looking to purchase the same vehicle this week. Thanks for your help.
  • smartshopper1smartshopper1 Member Posts: 4
    I am ready to purchase Prius III this week with tint, floor mats, and door guards (since all of the dealers inventory only have these as their minimum options). Has anyone out there purchased in the last month and willing to share their deals and from which dealership? I know of the $1000 incentive but will be using the 0% financing instead.
    I bought mine through truecar. Go to the site and put in what you want. You will get a best price number near you. I clicked and got the price listed. 900 or so under invoice. Here in Illinois there is a 750 rebate or .9% financing. I took the financing -- saved about $600 overall.
  • jbaek74jbaek74 Member Posts: 9
    edited August 2010
    $0 drive-off; $249/mo; 12k mi/yr

Is the current lease special a good deal?
    Can anyone figure out what the purchase price would be for this special?
    I'm trying to compare the lease special with the TrueCar best price...

Has anyone in So Cal get a better deal than what's being offered?

Thank you in advance.

From Toyota website:

Lease example for 2010 Prius model 1223. Based on gross capitalized cost of $24,231. Security deposit waived. Plus tax and license. Individual dealer prices vary. Lessee pays $0.15 per mile for all mileage over 12,000 miles per year. Lessee to pay $249 per month for 35 months with $0 total drive off. Available through Toyota Financial Services to qualified Tier 1+ (plus) credit customers. Must take delivery from dealer stock by midnight 9/7/2010.
  • yinxzonyinxzon Member Posts: 1
    so i want to buy a prius 2010 and apparently no one is selling the prius i base model. so my best quote for prius 2 is around 21000+ tax+ registration (which is supposedly 1200 lower than invoice based on truecar.com). that is as low as i have gotten it on the phone. maybe another 100 when im there.
    1) when should i know that i have reached the bottom? another 1000?
    2) should i go by truecar.com's pricing?
    3) should i wait until the beginning of the next month or just buy now?
    4) im not sure whether there is a grad's program going on as someone told me that was only good for scion, camry and corollas.. if its not there, is it worth waiting until the beginning of next month or even when the 2011 model comes out in october?

i think the insight could be had for 18k plus tax and tag, anyone concur?

can anyone tell me how they figure out how far one can push a price down. is there some standard online like 90% of the invoice or something like that?

i think the insight could be had for 18k plus tax and tag, anyone concur?
  • tfried123tfried123 Member Posts: 1
    net price before taxes, registration etc. $28,339.00
  • smookdog1smookdog1 Member Posts: 3
    Which dealer did you get your Prius from. How much difference was there between the sales price of the Prius and the trade-in so I can figure sales tax. I am trying to get just about the same car and am still about $1,000 apart. Appreciate your help.
  • rjames27rjames27 Member Posts: 6
    We are looking to buy a Prius III with Navigation in the Cincinnati Area.
    Does anyone have any experiences to share. Am willing to drive to Columbus, Dayton Indianapolis, Louisville as well.
    Went to truecar and got a price of 24516 [msrp 26790] for the III with nav and mats. Within 15.5 miles of cincinnati. Go to the site and follow through. That's how I bought my prius -- easy. You might want to reconsider the nav -- haven't heard great things about it. Save the money and get a nice garmin.
  • sachin24ksachin24k Member Posts: 31
    First off, many thanks to so all of you here in this forum. I could get knowledge and a good car for a decent price .. all because of this forum. Great job you guys! Thank you very much.

Leased 2010 Red Prius III with Navi on 31st of last month.

Sale Price: $24,000
    Sticker: $26,750
    GAP: $595
    Alarm: $600
    Monthly Payment: $303 (Including taxes)
    Down: $0 (drive out)
    Residual: $16,800
    Milage: 12000 per year

Got floor mats, 2 year maintenance plan ... I guess it is standard with every prius. Very nice experience, no hassle, no haggle. Just called the dealership and salesman gave me a price of $24,300 which was the lowest I could find in SoCal. When I went, I gave another $300 off because it was the last day of the month!

Took a while to process papers, but treated with great lunch, snacks and dinner ! I went all the way from LA to El Cajon (Dealership place), dealership reimbursed the train and taxi charges!

I did not expect GAP + Alarm would cost another $1000, but I realized it was never mentioned with the quote, not from anyone so far...

anyway, overall great experience, easy sale and happy with the car.

Let me know if anyone of you have any question. Happy to help :)
  • raining_dl1raining_dl1 Member Posts: 2
    I got mine from Freeman Toyota
  • dave64njdave64nj Member Posts: 4
    Has anyone heard anything about Toyota offering a $1,000 match on a cap cost reduction for Prius leases? A dealer mentioned to me today that Toyota just sweetened the pot. I am looking at a base Prius III and I am being quoted $197 to $201 per month with $1,000 out-of-pocket cap cost reduction plus inceptions based on the current Toyota Financial Services lease deal. Anyone have similar experience or info?
  • msmbmsmb Member Posts: 41
    Purchased a HB II in mid atlantic USA for $20781 when I drove off the lot, including carpets. Seemed to me an outstanidng price, thoughI might have quibbled a bit on the carpets and insisted on the initial price quote, which was just a smidgen lower, and ended up a few hunderd less; but from what I could see this was an outstanding price and the dealer seemed honest enough to have earned it my bit more. I suppose I should add in the $130 it cost me to go get the car and bring it home.

So for future reference what kind of deal was this; fair, good, or an eye popper? I welcome brutal honesty.
    edited September 2010
    Looks like GAP and alarm were hugely overpriced and the Prius has a very low theft rate. Not a big need for a pricey alarm system.
    Many lease contracts already have GAP built in. If so, you double payed or paid for something that added no value to you worth the extra cost.
    The dealer padded his profits with those items.
    well i bit the bait and purchased a new 2010 Prius II . The total cost was, after dealer fees, but without permanent tags and tax,$ 20810. The car comes with floor mats. I guess I should add about $130, which is what it cost to pick up the vehicle and bring it home. But that was part pleasure too. I did about as well as i could; i should have argued for lower cost floor mats and just a little more on the price of the car but i was really tired. But I think it was a good price and I figured that the dealership was not making very much on this deal I am open to your opinions.
  • eric2288eric2288 Member Posts: 1
    I got a quote from a Sacramento dealer for a Prius III w/ solar option at $26000 (after $750 rebate), is it a reasonably good deal?
    Check cars.overstock.com and see if their online price quotes are better or worse. If $26K is better, then it is a good deal.
  • dave64njdave64nj Member Posts: 4
    I was able to negotiate the following for a Prius III base (only floor mats):

36 mos/12K miles
    Gap insurance included
    $1,357 inceptions
    $1,000 cap cost reduction (to be matched with another $1,000 from Toyota)
    Free oil changes in addition to Toyota two-year factory maintenance
    $181 per month
    If you load in up front payments into monthly payments, per month cost is $246.47 fully loaded.
  • priusleaserpriusleaser Member Posts: 3
    edited September 2010
    Hi All - This is the 1st time I am leasing a car. So, I need your help to understand if I am getting a good lease price on the 2010 Toyota Prius III, as is.

Here are the details:
    MSRP - $23,980 (mats etc included)
    Net Cap - $23,422

36 month lease
    15,000 miles/yr
    Residual - $15,232
    Down-payment - $2,000 (includes 1st month payment)
    Monthly Payment - $252 (including taxes)

Let me know what you folks think of this lease rate.
    Many thanks in advance for your help.
    edited September 2010
    You are better off putting minimal down payment on a lease (unlike financing a purchase) and put the extra cash in the bank to use towards the higher monthly payment. You will lose all the money you put down if the car is totaled/stolen shortly after you lease it.

You didn't get much of a discount off of MSRP, so it doesn't seem like a bargain regardless.
    edited September 2010
    Now that I am home with my car and i am no longer concerned about a deal falling through I can give some exact figures for my purchase. (For various reasons I felt that I had to previously write as if my purchase had been complete) It was $20,277 for a new 2010 Prius II ---alas, not the white one for which I refused to pay additional-- with all floor mats. I did pay an additional dealers or service fee which was $499. With a couple of other charges for state requirements i drove the car off the lot for 20792. (Still must pay tax in my home state). I should add in about $125 as travel costs to go get the car and drive it home.

I would be interested to hear from people if they thought this was a very good deal. It certainly seems that way to me and from reading other posts here. I have not seem a new one for less.

I will have some comments on the dealer and the ease of transaction later on. but first, if any with more previous experience than I one has comments on the price I woudl appreciate them.
  • priusleaserpriusleaser Member Posts: 3
    Jaxs, thanks for your advise. Here is an update:

First, I made a mistake on the MSRP, it is actually $24,630 including Base MSRP + Blizzard Paint Charge + Destination Fees. The dealer then gave me a discount of $1,207 for a Net Cap of $23,422.

Finally, per your advise about minimal up-front payment - which made total sense - I negotiated the following: $718 down and $289/month for 36 months (15K miles).

The total payments now are only $40 more than if I put $2,000 down, so this is a much better deal, especially with your comment about getting "totaled" in mind. Thanks again, and let me know if you have any other thoughts.
  • calicatcalicat Member Posts: 1
    Hi Everyone,

Searching for a 2010 Prius IV no options except mats. i recieved a price of 25,200.
    Is this a good price or should I wait for a 2011.