Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2006 Chevrolet Aveo

rowinrowin Member Posts: 1
How do I access my shifter panel in order to see what is wrong with the shifter light? I can't tell what gear I am in at night.

Comments

• deucebigalo4deucebigalo4 Member Posts: 2
    I drive alot for my job, and have racked up 70k on my 2006 Chevy Aveo. My mechanical skills are about the same as a one armed blind monkey, meaning none. So, I listen to my Firestone guy, doing all the services that he recomends. I changed the timing belt at 66k. The car was idleing high afterwards, but I just thought it needed to run its course. A week later it starts misfiring and the check engine light pops on. I take it to Firestone, and that tell me that the Valve Cover gasket is bad and has forced oil into the sparkplugs. The replace it. I get new spark plugs and spark plug wires. The call me up and tell me now the ignition coil is bad. They replace that. Now, its still running high and seems to still be missing.
    There was no problem like this before I took it in for a new timing belt. Could they have messed up something that has caused all of this extra problems, and how can I make them responsible for it?
    Any advice would be great.
  • busirisbusiris Member Posts: 3,490
    Lets see...car runs good until service work, which consists of timing belt change. Then, high idle speed.

Logic would suggest that the belt was installed improperly, probably affecting the timing by being off a tooth or so on a pulley.

By the way, a leaking valve cover gasket cannot cause oil to leak into the spark plugs. A leaking oil cover gasket will cause a loss of oil, and a real mess, but it will not cause oil leaks into the cylinders or internal engine parts. Is it possible that you mis-unerstood what he said?

My suggestion, after so many repeat trips to the same guy, is to take it somewhere else for a 2nd opinion. Looks like these guys may have done enough by now to cover their tracks, and the list of "bad"items is likely to continue to grow as long as you continue to return there.

By the way, if I remember correctly, many folks do have the water pump replaced on the Aveo at the same time they replace the timing belt, as a precaution against later water pump failure, but it isn't required, and it definately would NOT cause the issues you are having.

Good Luck !!!
  • poncho167poncho167 Member Posts: 1,178
    I agree, it sounds like they screwed something up alright. Firestone's are usually pretty good but it probably depends on the management. I do most of my auto maintenance myself.
  • yupper1yupper1 Member Posts: 17
    You sure they did not tell your seals were bad, they could leak injto the cylinder had and valve causing them to go badl
  • sammer17sammer17 Member Posts: 5
    Ok this is my second or third post with 2006 Aveo car problems.

Todays problem is I went to leave work put my key in, started my car & the damm thing would not shift out of park. So I turned my car off and my key wont come out. It will only go down to ACC position.

In order to drive my car right now I have to use the shift release lock and to get the key out of the ignition I have to disconect the car battery.

Im taking it in to the dealer tomorrow but just wondered if by chance anyone else has had this problem and if so what is it.

Also anyone reading this who is even thinking of buying an Aveo DONT!!!!!!
    :lemon: For anyone who is having the same problem I had........its the Solenoid Switch which is located in the centre console. If by chance its not that one there is another Solenoid Switch (BTSI) located near/under the break peddle. If your break light aren't working then its this switch.

Now the part cost about $47.00. My boyfriend fixed mine for me only took about an hour. Dealer was going to charge me about $560 to fix it.

Hope this helps anyone whos having the same issue!
  • chevygirl6chevygirl6 Member Posts: 2
    My check engine light came on and I went to a mechanic and they said nothing was wrong, but to check with a dealer about an EVAP code (can't remember the code). Asked the daler and they said it could be a loose gas cap, so I got a new one. The light went off for several months than came back on. Check the gas cap it seemed loose, tightened it then the light reset. Several months later it came back on, went off then now it is on again and won't go off. Got a new gas cap, nothing. And now I am having problems with acceleration, when I first drive the car it hesitates and seems to lose power, but once it gets going the car runs fine.

Today it lost power and could not accelerate, stopped turned it back on and it ran smoothly, but the light is still on. It goes off but comes back when I accelerate to quickly. Could it be a problem with voltage, or the fuel filter. I have no idea when the fuel filter was changed, had the car two years and it is reaching 60,000 miles.

Any advice would be appreciated, as I can't afford another mechanic over charging to tell me something is not wrong or fixing something I can fix myself.
  • ron1970ron1970 Member Posts: 26
    My 06' Aveo did the same thing. Pop your hood. Look down at the covering for your exhaust system. There is an oxygen sensor. Give it a "tap" with a small hammer. NOT A HARD TAP! This sensor gives the same code reading and will cause the same problem. I have done this two times in 60k miles. I am told the sensor "sticks" and tapping it will fix it.

Good Luck. I hope it helps.

Ron
  • ozzy6064ozzy6064 Member Posts: 1
    My wife got a Chevrolet Aveo 06 1.6 and I need to know if someone can tell me where the THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR located or a diagram I can use to remove this part. Car loss total power. :)
  • juniorviijuniorvii Member Posts: 1
    I agree the problem is in the park switch under the center console.

The switches don't usually go bad but the tabs that hold them in usually snap off because they are cheap and chinsy. What it does is instead of staying in place it moves out of place when you put the vehicle in park. So instead of flipping the switch and telling it its in park. The switch housing slide instead of the switch and the car still thinks it's in gear.

In other words if you can just find a way to secure the switch and keep it from moving you won't have to buy one.
  • celena41celena41 Member Posts: 1
    I also had this problem a year ago and took it into the dealer and had it fixed. Now I'm having problems with getting my key out again and the shifter is loose...it's like something broke in there. If it gets in park just right then I can get my keys out...Anyone know what's going on here?
  • noisetestnoisetest Member Posts: 1
    I had the exact same thing happen to me (among other issues with this Aveo). If I'm recalling correctly, it is the PCM. It's a control module that the dealer will have to change. It worked on my car, but months later, my check engine light came on again (with no indication that anything was wrong). So I went back to the dealer and they told me that the PCM wasn't programmed properly and they'll reprogram it. They also told me that I would have to pay them $100 for this. I said that's bull#%$@!!! I've had the car for less than 6 months and have been back to the dealer because of check engine lights coming on 4 or 5 times now! They ended up splitting the cost. $50. I could only imagine what it would have cost if I didn't have extended warrenty. I have a feeling they still didn't program it right, though. While I'm coasting at about 50-60km, my RPM suddenly drops and goes back up. Sometimes it's the other way around. Spikes up and then drops. Very frustrating. It sure doesn't make me feel secure in my vehicle. The whole reason I bought this car was for the safety rating and gas mileage. LOL Chevy screwed me on both of those. I only get 18mpg. Pathetic!!!!!!!
  • ts21ts21 Member Posts: 2
    Hi there-

The temperature gauge stopped moving on my 2006 Aveo, and the heat has stopped working as well...I checked the coolant level and it looks fine, no sign of a leak anywhere....engine isn't overheating. Anyone have any ideas for what might cause this or where to start looking?
  • cindy54cindy54 Member Posts: 4
    Funny my 2005 Aveo started something kinda similar this winter. I'd notice the heat was blowing ice cold. Look at the gauge, it had either dropped, or was literally moving up & down. Fluid level was normal, however one time it was low. Which was kinda odd, no leak could be found, and it wasn't on the ground, or in the oil. This happened several times this year and just started this year. :confuse:
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Hello Cindy,
    I am from GM Customer Service. Have you had a service tech look at the vehicle and diagnose the problem? Can you please email me more information about your situation so I can look into the concern further? You can get my email by clicking on my name. Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service
  • ts21ts21 Member Posts: 2
  • ron1970ron1970 Member Posts: 26
    I have the same problem about once a year. Check the coolant every time you drive over 80 mph and when the temp is over 85 degrees outside. Some aveos seem to "pump" out coolant when the temp is hot out and you drive fast. The coolant reservoir is small and the system is designed in an odd way. I add coolant about once a year and I'm good to go.
  • larrybuzlarrybuz Member Posts: 1
    I also agree and have gone so far as to repair the vehicle free. Once the Park switch is accessed you will note a small slot in the area it mounts into. Simply acquire the correct size wood screw to catch in this slot entering from the bottom. Get it started enough to allow insertion of the switch and then drive the screw up into the switch holding it in position. The shifter should be out of PARK during this evolution. Once snugged up test its functionality and adjust further if needed. This worked on the first try for me! Also do not forget that there is a slot at the top of the shifter area into which a key may be pressed allowing one to remove the vehicle from park. A small plastic cover must first be removed. This fix even repaired that issue for me.
  • ktbear21ktbear21 Member Posts: 2
    I just bought my 2006 Chevy Aveo, automatic with 97,000 miles on it. My boyfriend changed the oil on it for the first time since we got it today, and when he was finished, he was checking the oil level on the dipstick, however it said it was appx 2 quarts over full. So he tried to drain the 'extra' oil that the dipstick said we had, however, no oil was coming out. We tried to start the engine, and the car starts, but it started spraying oil out through the dipstick. There is excess oil in the engine, you can see it when you take the oil fill cap off, and there's a ton of smoke coming from the exhust.

Now, here's where the real fun begins..... my car will not engage when I put it in drive. It actually will start to roll backwards when you let off of the gas. Now I know I don't know a whole lot about cars, but I do know that the drivetrain should hold the car on level ground.

Any help with this would be appreciated. I know that I'm going to have to take it in for service, but I'm just trying to see what the magnitude of this is before I have someone try to take me.
    thanks
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    ktbear21,

I would encourage you to take your vehicle to your local GM dealership. Please keep us posted when the issue has been taken care of.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • deucebigalo4deucebigalo4 Member Posts: 2
  • dgw2540dgw2540 Member Posts: 1
    The response to the issue about the leaking valve cover gasket is not true. Oil will leak from area around the spark plug tubes and get inside the tubes partially filling the spark pug tube. This happened to my daughters 2006 Aveo and I needed to replace the valve cover gasket and the "O" rings for the spark plug tubes. All the necesssary gaskets and "O" rings come in the replacement gasket set. I would suggest Felpro, they are good gaskets.
  • esmatesmat Member Posts: 1
    I suggest that you get rid of that car, the more you keep it the more money you will lose on it. it happened with me> I've spent more 900$ on my 2006 Aveo 1.5 and it is not running properly and burning oil> The fuel economy on it is not good either comparing with the other cars of its size and engine.
  • ecotec2009ecotec2009 Member Posts: 17
    This is just impossible and cannot be right.
    A) How come your boyfriend over filled the oil by 2 qt to begin with?
    B) How come your boyfriend did not drain the over filled 2 qt of oil out of the drain oil plug from the oil pan out, you never did say just how he was trying to remove this over filled 2 qt of oil.
    C) You claim no oil was coming out when he tried to drain the oil? After over filling it by 2 qts. This is simply not real or possible.
    D) I really wonder what the actual problem is or what is causing what you claim because based on your description what you state is simply not possible from changing the oil.
  • infidelforlifeinfidelforlife Member Posts: 2
    Keep the car----get a new, smart(er) boyfriend
  • cindylouscindylous Member Posts: 1
    I know this is a bit late, but I think he drained the transmission fluid, not the oil. They both have drainage valves underneath the car. Hope this helps someone else searching for an answer :)
  • mindintomattermindintomatter Member Posts: 1
    I have an Aveo 2006 Sedan with 80,000 miles and is past warranty. I'll try to tap the sensor with a hammer and see if that lets me get to the mechanic. I'll post later how much it costed to fix.
  • chevygirl6chevygirl6 Member Posts: 2
  • hank_chinaskihank_chinaski Member Posts: 1
    Don't be too hard on the poster or her boyfriend. I decided to do an oil change on my aveo that I bought with 24.5k miles. I had only put 4k on it since the purchase, but since I already head to have a fuel rail replaced and the dealer refused to service my automatic transmission even he admitted the transmission oil was dirty but wouldn't admit it was burnt. (My mechanic buddy, however, swears it smelled burnt, and that's why the fluid was brown. It looked like motor oil that got changed a bit early. Not black, but definitely a dark brown.

Anyhow. I couldn't believe the owener's manual doesnt even indicate where the oil filter is or where the oil drain plug is. Now, oil changes and the occasional spark plugs are the max of my auto working abilities. However, I've probably done 200 oil changes and have never seen an owners manual that didn't clearly indicate the filter and drain plug locationi. I spent almost half an hour climbing under, over, and all around the engine compartment. The oil filter houseing seemed fairly obvious but it was cranged on so hard, I was even using a breaker-bar, and I was just plain afraid of samaging something. Finally I finessed it off. I did't pre lube the filter but there was a little old oil in there so I put in in and GINGERLY tightened the cap (which BTW looks like a cheap plumbing item from the HD) I forgot to mention that before changing the filter I put the car on ramps and again looked up, down, over here and over there for a drain plug. The ONLY SINGLE bolt/nut whatever I could find didn't seem right. In the back of my head I thought, I'm no mechanic but this pan looks a little small for the supposed 4.5 quarts of oil the car holds. But, again, it was THE ONLY bolt there. This is how the original poster's boyfriend managed to accomplish what he did. Indeed the plug I found, I finally realized, was to drain the tranny fluid. An interesting side note is the fluid looked a lot better then before I took it in so in my eyes it looked almost like new oil. I started the car and let it idle a bit and of course found my motor oil level was way too high. The highest off I'd ever seen after first inspection after a change. So I went back to the only plug that I could see. I spent 3 solid hourse searching the net. Most info was for older cars... I probably read the diagrams wrong but it actually looks like in the 06' you have to remove the tranny pan, to get the the oil drain plug. No pictures or how-tos whatsoever which indicated the drain plug location. The most useful piece of information I found after three hours searching, "2011 chevy aveo oil change," and, "2011 chevy aveo oil drain plug.' - the only useful tidbit I got was this "The transmission drain plug is on the drivers side underneath where the gas and brake pedals would be. The oil drain plug is centered under the engine - duh" Well guess what? I still can't find ANY KIND OF BOLT other than the tranny drain plug and the bolts holding the belt pullies on. Now I had totally drained the tranny all whilst I thought I was bleeding off excess oil. So now I can't even get the car back up on the ramps to get a decent look - even though I really did examine it thoroughly the first time. I even reached up and felt anything that looked like some kind of bold or plug. Of course the local hardware shop wasn't positive they had the right tranny fluid and it was too late to make it to town to a real auto store. So what I'm dying to know, and creaming myself to SEE.... is WHERE THE HECK THE OIL DRAIN PLUG IS. I don't need someone to say it's centered under the engine. I've already put my hands on anything and everything down their that could possible come out... nothing. I'd like to say beause I'm so smart the first area I searched was, "centered under the engine," but that was probably more subconcious habit than anything else. I can't take it to the dealer (especially after my recent issues with them,) they'd instantly declare, "welp, you just voided your warranty." Taking it to s shop, even leaving out the details, but admitting I am incabable of finding the oil drain plug I would be laughed out of the place - or charged a fortune for someone to take 2 minutes and show me.
    What I especially cannot understand is why would owner's manual even bother listing fluid capacities and types, if they don't even show you where the filters and drain plugs are? I read that stupid manual 6 times. Like I said I searched for three hours on the internet. Nothing. Apparently everyone excluding myself and the original poster are just that smart they can find the mystery items easily, or what I think is more likely is that so many people can't even figure out how to change the oil on their aveo, I mean Daewoo, that they're all to embarrassed to discuss it and this is the cause for the lack of information available on the net. Anyhow. The girl who posted is not stupid. Neither is her boyfriend ( my overall ACT score was 96th percentile with 98 percentile in reading comprehension and writing. I'm not a genious, mainly because I don't have the motivation, but I hold four college degrees and even skipped a grade in elementary school. I know now at least one other person made the exact same mistake, for the exact same reasons, that I did. WTF? I know dealers have always wanted you to bring your car in for the tiniest mainenance issue - need new wipers? Better bring it in... but is GM so hard up (probably yes) they they purposefully leave out the locations of their oil filters and oil drain plugs just to drum up more business? Anytime the manual remotely started to sound specific, the next line was always, "you can take your Aveo to the dealership to have this service performed. Now, I'd never try to change a cam shaft or change a water pump or timing belt. But I KNOW you don't have to be ASE certified to do a freakin' oil and filter change. Heck I did my first one in auto shop at 13 and have done all my own changes, all the time, no matter what vehicle I was driving at the time. NEVER has a simple oil change eaten up so much wasted time, caused so much frustation, and it also seems misleading enough that a bet a lot more than two people drained their tranny thinking it was the oil. I promise GM, now that I stuck with one of your crappy American, I mean Korean cars I will always let you perform all major mainenance while this worthless extended warranty is in effect. Would you, GM, in return, at least let us do our own oil changes? I mean, other than draining the wrong fluid and overflowing the engine with oil, what could you really screw up doing an oil change? Oh wait, those were the days when owner's manuals informed the owner where the filter and drain plugs were located. That top the oil filter is a flimsy piece of plastic and again it was cranked down so hard on there I had to use a breaker bar and I seriously thought I was going to ruin
  • baatmanbaatman Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 Aveo and thinking oil change and research led me here. Anyone have any joy so far? I don't even want to go look there if you couldn't find it. Where can I get a service manual online..?
  • ktbear21ktbear21 Member Posts: 2