Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Using Oversize Tires on OEM Alloy Rims?

gatineaugatineau Member Posts: 3
edited April 2014 in Subaru
I have a 2005 2.5i Legacy Wagon with standard alloy rims and OEM Bridgestone 205/55 HR16 tires. I drive on a lot of rough potholed country roads in Ontario, and these low-aspect tires have a very harsh ride.
1. To get a softer ride and absorb more of the impact from potholes, I would like to install larger tires on the same size rim, such as 205/60 HR16 (about 0.8” larger in diameter, and 3.3% speedometer difference). Will this work, without scraping against anywhere on the fender wells? Any other larger recommended size?
2. I also plan on using Goodyear Assurance TripleTred's because of the top rating that Consumer Report gives it for being quiet with a softer ride. Note: these tires would only be used for summer, I use other tires for winter.
Any advice on any other soft and quiet tires?

Comments

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,790
    In general, I would say that you should be okay as long as you keep within 5% of the stock circumference. Unfortunately, I do not think you can reduce rim size to 15", due to the size of the brakes and calipers (even though the smaller rim size would be the best way to go to achieve the result you desire).

I am not sure about soft and quiet for the TripleTred tires, but they are absolutely fantastic for all-seasons. I have never used a better set of tires in terms of traction in any conditions. Those were the last set I had on my '96 Outback, and I did not feel compelled in any way to use winter tires on that car.

I think Goodyear Allegra tires are an excellent choice for a quiet and soft ride if cost and tread life are major considerations. I just put a set of those on my Dodge minivan, and they were $73 each (in Fairbanks, AK - tires here are a solid 10% more expensive than in the lower 48) with a 65,000 mile tread wear warranty. The TripleTred tires, by contrast, were about $118 each with an 80,000 mile tread wear.

I had a set of Allegra on my Subaru at one point as well, and they did quite well (though not nearly as well as the TT in ice/snow conditions). I put 76,000 miles on them by the time I replaced. The tread depth was about 4/32 at that point, but two of the tires began suffering from internal sidewall failures, so they were leaking air badly...
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    The number I've heard is +/- 3% difference, but you're in that ballpark.

0.8" diameter means only 0.4" in radius, so my guess is you will be fine also.

Remember, though, that the spare will no longer match properly.
  • saedavesaedave Member Posts: 694
    Remember, though, that the spare will no longer match properly.

But how closely does the spare match the original tires?
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Diameter should be a close match.

It's the width that is off, but the circumference should be very similar.
This discussion has been closed.