Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Town and Country - dashboard lights

tracyb11tracyb11 Member Posts: 5
Hi,

We bought a 2009 Town and Country Touring Edition on Saturday (five days ago). It was in the showroom at the dealer. We were told that the battery in the van was dead because the doors and lights had been left on. They replaced the battery and off we went! The next morning, we had problems with tire pressure and had to put extra air in each of the tires.

On Monday, I drove the van to work and everything seemed fine. At the end of the day, I went to leave work and the power doors and electric windows wouldn't work, the windshield wipers were on and wouldn't shut off, every warning light on the dash was on and the radio wasn't working. We called roadside assistance and then drove it to the nearest dealer.

The service department told us the next morning that the battery hadn't been installed properly and that everything was fixed. We went to pick the van up that afternoon and the same problem happened. We left the van and have been calling back twice a day and the service manager just tells us that they don't know what the problem is and that they are trying to fix it.

Has anyone had a similar experience? We have owned this van for five and a half days and three and a half have been spent in service. I am very frustrated and my confidence in both the van and the service department are decreasing rapidly. Advice is very welcome.

Thank you.

Comments

• maggie4673maggie4673 Member Posts: 1
    Hi. I have a 2008 Town & Country and we have had a similar experience with the dashboard problem. However, our radio still worked and so did the windows. The doors did not work and the windshield wipers would go on by themselves. The dealer told us there was some wire loose that was underneath the battery. The car was okay for a week and then it started doing it all over again. Right now we are waiting to take it back to the dealer. The are closed for Memorial Day.

Was your problem ever resolved. If so, what did they determine the problem was. I too am loosing confidence in the van and the dealer.

Thanks.
  • tracyb11tracyb11 Member Posts: 5
    Hi,

Our van is still not fixed. Late last week they identified a broken part of the 'computer' that needs replacing. The parts have been ordered but will take a week to arrive. We are hoping that the part will arrive, that it will actually fix the problem and that we will have the van back by the end of this week (almost three weeks from when it went into the shop). By Saturday, we will have owned the van for three weeks and been in possession of it for about two days. I am quite frustrated at the delay to diagnosis the problem and to get the parts to fix it. I am not feeling especially confident that the problem will be fixed by this repair (although I don't really have anything to base that on other than the mixed stories we have received for the last two weeks and the frustration of not being able to drive our new van). Good luck getting your van fixed!
  • dstepdstep Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I hope by now that your T&C issue has been fixed. We have been experiencing a similar set of troubles with our 08' T & C van. Shortly after we begin driving all of the dashboard lights flash, the wipers start, the outside lights flash and if we don't stop right away we lose power and it's getting worse, last evening it happend after we had driven about 20 miles and were on a highway. The dealer doesn't know what the issue is, we are going to trade it for a Honda if they will take it.
    Deb
  • jpfjpf Member Posts: 496
    These issues may be related. Follow attached link. Good luck.

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f1ddee4
    Hi - it took about six weeks to get our van fixed. They ended up stripping the entire van (yes, my new van that had 425 km on it) down to the frame -- seats, console, carpet, you name it all came out, and then they finally replaced the dash. Apparently there was a faulty computer piece somewhere in the dash. We had to get a lawyer involved as our phone calls were not returned from the dealer or the service centre. We have asked to return the vehicle and our request was refused. When the van was being re-assembled, there were two pieces of plastic that were broken. We are now waiting for those parts to arrive so they can be replaced. The van was returned to us dirty, the automatic windshield wipers don't work, and one of the sliding doors is not working properly. If our issues were resolved, I would say more. In the meantime, I wish you luck getting your van fixed.
  • boesman1boesman1 Member Posts: 47
    sounds like you may have gotten a lemon....as wacky as this problem is there appears to be others that have similar issues. Could be a quality control issue somewhere in the supply chain, its too bad you are stuck in the middle of all this - best of luck !
  • fedewafedewa Member Posts: 1
    We also have 2009 and with the same problem. The dealership cannot figure it out. They say I have to bring it in when it happens. Well, it doesn't happen all the time. Our problem seems to happen when we turn right. I think there is a short in the sensor for the tire pressure and it is shorting out everything, but the dealership won't believe a women and check it out.

did you ever get your problem fixed?
    Hi - the entire dash was replaced which has fixed the problem with the lights. We have also had one of the heating elements in the front heated seats replaces. The automatic windshield wipers don't work and we have now been told that we need to get a command start installed to make them work. The dealership is working to see if they can get us a complimentary one but still. In addition, both sliding doors make horrific noises when they are opened and the anti skid light comes on whenever it wants. They can't seem to figure out what is going on with that. I can't explain how frustrated and disappointed we are with this purchase. On one hand, we are thrilled with the features that make traveling with children so much easier. On the other hand, it is in the repair shops for weeks on end. Usually when we take it in for one day, it ends up taking a week to fix something and when the van does come back there are more broken pieces than fixed pieces. For example, when the heating element for the seat was replaced, the side panel on the bottom of the seat was not reinstalled properly and has now broken. So we are waiting for a new piece to be ordered.

I hope you have better luck getting your van fixed.
  • freichelsfreichels Member Posts: 11
    We are having the same problem. Randomly, the windshield wipers come on, all dashboard lights come on, the gauges go to zero. After a couple of seconds the wipers and lights go off and everything is fine. It never makes the car kill. Sometimes it happens while driving, sometimes it happens when parked.
    Today it did it three times in a row. Makes me nervous to drive. I'm going to bring it in tomorrow to get looked at.
  • wantanewcar2wantanewcar2 Member Posts: 6
    We have a 2005 Town and Country. I had originally made a post on the electrical problems site, but this seems similar to my problem (dashboard disco). My dashboard lights started off with a mild flicker. Now it is at a point where all the lights (check engine, ABS, low fuel light) flash on and off; in addition the dials of all the gauges spin round, the HVAC blows while in the off position, the radio crackles, etc. All these problems are intermittent. I now am experiencing the added bonus of the ENTIRE vehicle dying while I am driving. This is obviously a safety concern as the vehicle is moving with no power brakes or power steering. I have had it in the shop at least 5 times and they can't figure it out. My plan is too trade my car in within the next week for a Sienna (assuming it behaves when I tried to trade it in!). I was wondering if you figured out at solution to your problem?
    Hi,

Our dashboard problems were fixed when they replaced the entire dashboard. But the van is in the repair shop at every three weeks -- it goes in for one thing to be fixed and comes back with four or five more things broken. We phone and complain and then have to wait for parts (which are always on backorder). Then we take it in only to find that the computer diagnostics show that other things need to be replaced, the parts are on backorder and so it goes. For example, they installed a command start (the only way that the automatic windshield wipers would work) and broke the cruise control when they installed it. When they replaced the defective heating element in one of the seats, they broke one of the side pieces of the seat. The list goes on and on.

We looked at a Sienna before we bought our van and I really wish that we had bought the Sienna. I can't say one good thing about the van or the service we are getting and to be honest, I'm embarrassed that we bought it (and that we spent so much money on it). Good luck - I'm sure your new van will be much better!
  • spank666spank666 Member Posts: 1
    I am have that very same problem with my 09 Dodge Grand Caravan. It used to only do it when the drivers door was open all the way, but now it's doing it all the times. It's not even taking a rest, the problem is constantly happening while the vehicle is running. Did your mechanic have a fix for it.
  • roentgeeproentgeep Member Posts: 18
    I have a T&C 2009 and the seal of the Sunroof its leaking every time it rains or wash the van. I went to the dealer and they want so sell me the seal WITH the glass an is no cheap. What can I do? Can I get just the rubber seal? or are there any easy fix for the leak?

Thanks in advance.
    Jose
  • chryslergroupchryslergroup Member Posts: 35
    Hello roentgeep,

I believe you can purchase just the seal for the sun roof on your 2009 Chrysler Town & Country. You may want to double check with the Parts Department at the dealership you are working with.

Lisa
    Customer Care
    Chrysler Group LLC
    Lisa, thanks a lot for your answer, Im going to check that in the Parts Department.

Thanks again

Regards
    Lisa,
    I went today to the dealership and they double check and the (PC) catalog doesnt show the rubber seal along, only shows the glass and even doesnt show the rubber seal, could be possible that you search in your catalog, for the part number of the seal along?
    That would be nice.

Thanks in advance.
    edited August 2013
    BUMP, BUMP.
    Lisa,
    The part number he gave me for the glass and rubber was: 68028578AA.
    Please help me if you know or can get the #part for the rubber alone.

Thanks in advance.
    Lisa,
    sorry to insist, but could you help me please?
    Where are located the drain holes in the sunroof of a T&C 2009?

Thanks in advance
  • joepeterson56joepeterson56 Member Posts: 95
    The drain holes should be located at the corners of the sun roof opening along the metal drip tray as you look down into the opening with the roof panel open.

There should be one at or very near each of the 4 corners. They are usually a bit difficult to see, but you can locate them.

The 2 near the front of the opening have hoses connected to them that go down through the A pillars of the roof on both sides of the windshield & drain out through the front fender area and onto the ground.

The rear 2 have hoses connected to them that run inside the channel between the roof and the side body toward the back of the van and then down the side wall and back out of the van in the area between the sliding door & the tail gate.

A length of flexible wire run through them, followed by water then compressed air should unclog them and you should see the water draining out onto the groud from all 4 hoses. If the hoses come disconnected where they attach to the sunroof drain tray it sould appear as a water leack inside the van onto the carpet some where in the area near the disconnected hose. Be very careful when forcing air through the lines because if they are packed solid with debris it could force the hose ends off where they connect & cause interior flooding.

Hope this helps you out.
    Thanks, thats a very good info, Im going to look for them and do what you suggest. Im going to be very careful, but if the hoses disconnect, its very difficult to reconnect them?

Again thanks a lot.
    Regards.
    Update: Last weekend I found only 2 (front) drain holes, and the passenger side was packed with debris since the upper part, the drivers side without any debris in the hole, any way I run a line that I use in my brush cutter, through them, followed by water and then compressed air and they unclog and I could see the water draining out onto the groud JUST in front; I couldnt find the rear drain holes, even with a little mirror and good light. I poured some water in the back corners of the sunroof and the water went directly to the front drain holes and then to the ground. It seems that there are no more leaks only with that. Maybe this model only has 2 front drain holes (I hope so but IDK).
    Does any one have a pic of the underside drain of the back hoses? If I locate them, I will compressed air through them and maybe that unclog that BACK holes.

Thanks to all.
  • joepeterson56joepeterson56 Member Posts: 95
    It is possible that they went to only 2 front holes at some time, or possibly they never had 4 on these. I was giving you advice based on my experience in the auto glass industry. As to finding where the hoses exit from the vehicle, good luck. They usually do not hang down past the bottom of the vehicle, just end someplace above the frame and then the water just drips off the frame. As long as you are not getting any water inside the vehicle, it is a safe bet that you found and cleared the only 2 drain holes & solved your problem.
    joepeterson56,
    Thanks for posting your comments and info, and I hope that the problem is solved, time will say.
    BTW the only thing about 2 vs 4 drain holes, could be that the van was sold in Mexico and maybe they are different ????. IDK.
    My 2009 Town & Country seems that the tranny is slipping, you go on the gas pedal and no power and only the RPM go faster. Id good like to check the tranny oil, but....
    With an scanner you can find some codes about tranny?
    Are there any other thing to do?

Thanks in advance

JA.
    My question in the title
  • chryslergroupchryslergroup Member Posts: 35
    Hello roentgeep,

Regarding your original question: "Does this mini vans has transmission dipstick?"

All four–speed transaxles are equipped with a conventional filler tube and dipstick.

Lisa
    Customer Care
    Chrysler Group LLC
    Lisa,
    Thanks Im going to look for the filler tube and check the oil level first. Thanks a lot.
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    Just so that you can always find the most appropriate discussion (this one is for dash/warning lights), be sure to check the existing list at this link:
    Chrysler Town & Country/Dodge Grand Caravan Discussion List

KCRam - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Host
    Thank you, but I reviewed the list in that link and the related topics to transmission are diferent, but I just noticed that, when you want to reply the message in the upper part of the page, below the words: Replay to message says:
    "Click here to start a new thread if your message is not a reply".
    One of my first questions was if an scananer can read transmission codes? and in that way know if it is slipping or has any other issue?
    Lisa I checked out and my Van doesnt have it, its a six-speed transaxle with 4.0l engine.

Thanks.

So I dont know what to do: the fact its that the van sometimes works as normal and sometimes the tranny seems to slip, so IDK; thats the reason Im asking here the possibilities that are producing the issue.

Thanks again.
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    You're in a dashboard discussion, though... so you're not going to get much response here for a transmission question.

The correct discussion to add your questions is this one: Chrysler Minivan Transmission Problems
    Go to the last page of that discussion, and add your post at the bottom. The members who are following that discussion will be far more likely to see your posts and give you a hand.

KCRam - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Host
    Thank you sir, Ill post this there.